Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

War On Christmas: 2015 Edition

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:38 am

And it begins with Starbucks and their decision to go with plain red cups. Christians are throwing a fit because Starbucks has apparently declared War on Christmas. Now there's a movement on the interwebz asking people to purchase their coffee and have the barista write "Merry Christmas" as your name (you know, because it's this kind of movement that brings down an establishment).

And assisting the religious folks is none other than Fox News with their headline image:

Let the war begin and let's keep track of just how that overpriced morning latte has now changed their lives for the worse.

seb146

RE: War On Christmas: 2015 Edition

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:52 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Thread starter):
Starbucks has apparently declared War on Christmas.

Right wing pundits have been declaring that there is a war on Christmas for years.

How many people in the United States have been caned or faced charges or executed for saying "Merry Christmas"?

As far as the current fake outrage over red and green cups: I hate Starbucks. Their coffee tastes burnt and it is over priced. That being said, I am going to make it a point to go there and tell them I am supporting them over the lunatics who think Starbucks hates Christmas.

And, for the zillionth time, in case someone missed it: The United States is a secular nation. Not based on the Bible or Christianity. People are free to celebrate whatever holiday they want. Ramadan, Passover, Christmas, Festivus... whatever. Stop forcing your religion on the rest of us. Just do your thing, be happy and let the rest of us be happy. Not in your way, but in our own way. We are not automatons. We are Americans.

Happy Holidays.

ltbewr

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:08 am

I wish the religious right would deal with other issues that deserves seasonal war by them:

1) Point out the gross commercialize of Christmas and it orgy of consumerism too many connect with it.

2) To push all retailers to shut down all day on Thanksgiving and not open for 'Black Friday' until 7 AM (that is law in one of the biggest retail districts in the USA - Paramus, NJ) to allow staff to enjoy quality family time instead of working.

3) Realize that not everyone is Christian, or believes in religion, so forcing retailers and businesses to say 'Merry Christmas' instead of the more inclusive 'Happy Holidays'.

4) Demand all Christmas decorations, card and more gift items are made in the USA, Canada, Mexico that are 'Christian' rather than 'godless communist' China.

luckyone

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:09 am

If one's faith need be validated by the decorations on a cup...I'd say that the coffee is stronger than the faith.

BMI727

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:20 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 1):
Just do your thing, be happy and let the rest of us be happy. Not in your way, but in our own way. We are not automatons. We are Americans.

But you dislike Hobby Lobby for not covering the morning after pill, right? What's your opinion on Chik-Fil-A?

Mir

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:34 am

And it begins with Starbucks and their decision to go with plain red cups.

I find it absolutely unbelievable that people actually give a crap about this.

Now there's a movement on the interwebz asking people to purchase their coffee and have the barista write "Merry Christmas" as your name (you know, because it's this kind of movement that brings down an establishment).

I hope the baristas misspell it in the most hilarious ways possible.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 3):
If one's faith need be validated by the decorations on a cup...I'd say that the coffee is stronger than the faith.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 4):
But you dislike Hobby Lobby for not covering the morning after pill, right?

No, just for claiming that their beliefs make them above the law. How that's applicable to a coffee chain deciding how its seasonal cups are going to look I don't know.

What's your opinion on Chik-Fil-A?

Overrated food. Wouldn't go out of my way to eat there. Not much more than that.

-Mir

luckyone

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:38 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

Starbucks usually just puts the first name on their cups. So they'll have a bunch of Mary's. Since most Starbucks are not franchised there's likely going to be a memo going out to managers about this issue.

BMI727

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:42 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
How that's applicable to a coffee chain deciding how its seasonal cups are going to look I don't know.

Because Seb, and I suspect yourself, are in favor of doing your thing, being happy, and letting the rest of us be happy as long as those things are all things that you approve of.

Mir

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:55 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 7):
Because Seb, and I suspect yourself, are in favor of doing your thing, being happy, and letting the rest of us be happy as long as those things are all things that you approve of.

Not at all. There are lots of things I don't approve of that are legal. If people want to do those, that's their call. If they want to decide that it's legal for them but not for others to do the things they want to do, then I may well have an issue with it. But the issue is with the claim of legal exemption, not the act itself.

-Mir

Moose135

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:59 am

But you dislike Hobby Lobby for not covering the morning after pill, right? What's your opinion on Chik-Fil-A?

I don't patronize either, but I'm not going to make an issue of it if you want to shop there.

WarRI1

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:15 am

I have an agenda, you have an agenda, we all have an agenda, you believe, you do not believe, I am a Christian, you are not. There we have it boys and girls. In the end we live in a country that is supposed to be free, so what does it matter if someone changes a coffee cup? A sad state of affairs to me. We get hung up in this garbage and our country and us are being screwed over by crooked politicians. Not Starbucks.    

seb146

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:08 am

But you dislike Hobby Lobby for not covering the morning after pill, right?

If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em. Just don't help them pay for not breeding them.

Why should a corporation demand that women submit completely? If they were truly "Christian" and based on Biblical law, NO woman would be working.

What does that have to do with Starbucks changing their cups from white and green to red and green (Christmas colors)?

What's your opinion on Chik-Fil-A?

The owners giving profits from deep fried "chicken" (and I use the term loosely) to legislate that only heterosexuals are legal? You mean that? yea... I don't eat there.

But, according to your group, that is hateful, for some reason.

The way I spend my money is hateful. Typical free thinker....

Also, did you not read the part where we "liberals" don't care what holiday anyone else celebrates? No, you didn't. You only care what Fox tells you to care about. Like the fake war on Christmas. That never happens.

Can you tell me how many people have been fined, disciplined and sentenced to death for saying "Merry Christmas" in the United States? Look up the number.

luckyone

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 11):
Can you tell me how many people have been fined, disciplined and sentenced to death for saying "Merry Christmas" in the United States? Look up the number.

Forget that, can you tell me what religion other than Christianity has their principal holiday as a FEDERAL holiday? Yeah, I can't either.

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:42 am

Literally this morning when I got to work, someone mentioned it to me. I looked at the plain red cup I was holding, said, "oh, look at that, you're right, I didn't even notice", then went on with my day.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
I find it absolutely unbelievable that people actually give a crap about this.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:49 pm

I really couldn't care less what Starbucks does with its cups. I'm eager to see, however, what the outraged folks would do if Starbucks decided to celebrate Ramadan by painting crescent moons on its cups. Something along the lines of "The islamification of American has begun with Starbucks".

I'd love for Starbucks to give it a try just to see what happens.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

"Mary Xmas" is a nice way to spell it. Now I'm eager to get a part time job as a barista.

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 13):

Literally this morning when I got to work, someone mentioned it to me. I looked at the plain red cup I was holding, said, "oh, look at that, you're right, I didn't even notice", then went on with my day.

I didn't even notice that Starbucks changed their coffee cups for the holiday season. I order a Frappuccino, which is always served in the clear/green cups and I don't think they have designs.

Aesma

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:52 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 12):
Forget that, can you tell me what religion other than Christianity has their principal holiday as a FEDERAL holiday? Yeah, I can't either.

I just checked and learned that for many protestants Easter isn't important, interesting. For Catholics that's definitely the most important holy day.

BMI727

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 8):
But the issue is with the claim of legal exemption, not the act itself.

Exactly. That law has no business being applied to anyone.

If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

Precisely, but neither of those is a government problem. Neither of those is a concern for anyone but those involved.

What does that have to do with Starbucks changing their cups from white and green to red and green (Christmas colors)?

Because you're ridiculing people for voicing their opinion that a business does not sufficiently adhere to their beliefs yet you have no problem with people doing the same when you happen to also disagree with how the business conducts itself.

Can you tell me how many people have been fined, disciplined and sentenced to death for saying "Merry Christmas" in the United States?

It's the same as the number of women given a death sentence for taking birth control pills, but apparently the war on women is a thing.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 15):
I just checked and learned that for many protestants Easter isn't important, interesting.

Who the hell told you that?

B777LRF

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Would that be the same war, which sees all the world's metropoli draped in hideous Christmas decorations from mid October, the visual horror multiplied by orders of magnitude when it comes to their airport shopping centres? The very same infestation, which slams bloody Wham's bloody 'Last Christmas' into my delicate ears from around the same date, 5 times a day from then on, regardless of which radio you are tuned to? The marketing godzilla which does it's awful best to ram a seamlessly never ending line-up of utterly useless products, draped in Christmas decorations, down my throat? You know, if that's the war 'they' are waging, I'm not sure it's going all that well.

I just checked and learned that for many protestants Easter isn't important, interesting. For Catholics that's definitely the most important holy day.

Just as important as Christmas is for this here atheist, mainly because tradition has it family and friends come together for both occasions, have way too much to eat and drink, and much laughter usually ensues. That, and I get a couple of paid days off, as both Easter and Christmas are public holidays in my neck of the woods. Which, I shouldn't fail to note, is a neck of the woods where the vast majority are either declared atheists, or just not interested in religion at all. But, hey, wouldn't want to waste a good opportunity to bag a couple of days off, regardless of how silly the reason is. Were 'they' to make Eid-al-Fitr a public holiday too, I'd be all for it under the principle 'the more the merrier'.

Paid days off, you know, can't really beat that.

MaverickM11

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 1):
Right wing pundits have been declaring that there is a war on Christmas for years.

I can't have equal rights in about half the states but poor christians feel persecuted by red cups and people saying "happy holidays" instead of Merry Christmas. Seems fair 

I dislike people using their made up fairy tales to do nasty things to other people. I don't think there is a more hypocritical, functionally illiterate group in this country than the christian right. They don't even know what's in their own bible! Yet they cram it down everyone's throat. Just like Jesus.

seb146

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 16):
but neither of those is a government problem.

Actually, allowing access to birth control IS a government problem. What happens to the babies born to women who can not afford to take care of them or who never wanted them in the first place? They end up in government care.

As for the rest of your replies to me, they make no sense at all. We should all hate equal rights and give everyone a chance and treat people poorly and hold up only certain ones and thus so far is such that it is patriotic.

Or something.

None of that answered my original question: How is one company switching from a white and green cup to a red and green cup telling us that we are not allowed to celebrate Christmas or even say "Merry Christmas"?

[Edited 2015-11-10 07:49:22]

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 17):
as both Easter and Christmas are public holidays in my neck of the woods

I wish Easter were a paid holiday, not for its original celebration, but because the office is empty anyway. Twice now I've worked on Good Friday and found that over half my coworkers are out of the office (they either take vacation or flex their time...I'm stingy and choose to do neither).

As for Christmas, I like that, at least once a year, this forces the whole family to get together whereas the other holidays do not. With kids eagerly awaiting a fat old man with flying reindeer (a very Christian thing, like Jesus riding in on a velociraptor), I admit I'm too spoiled and look forward to gift giving. The company shuts down anyway for the break so it's one of those "if you can't beat 'em, join them" things. I like to view it as a forced vacation, which is badly needed after a year with no voluntary vacation time taken.

A332DTW

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:19 pm

And these are the same people who constantly complain how liberals get easily offended at everything. It's a damn cup. The real "war on Christmas" is the commercialization of it. By next year we'll have malls decorating for Christmas after Labor Day, and Thanksgiving will just be an extension of black Friday... if it isn't already.

ER757

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:45 pm

All the problems in the world and this is what some people are upset about?!
This manufactured outrage is ridiculous - some people need to get a life

CPH-R

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Out of curiousity, where did you check that?

Church of Denmark (Evangelical Lutheran state church) certainly ranks it fairly high, to the point that it gets all Danes a 4-day weekend (Good friday + Easter Monday are national holidays). And together with Christmas and New Year's Day, it's one of the few times a year when the churches are usually filled to the brim.

mt99

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 pm

And of course

"Donald Trump: 'Maybe we should boycott Starbucks'"

Trump added, "If I become president, we're all going to be saying Merry Christmas again, that I can tell you. That I can tell you. Unbelievable."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...mp-starbucks-holiday-cup/75506574/

We have crossed into "insanity"

On a separate note SBUX is up 1.47%

[Edited 2015-11-10 12:10:56]

ER757

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 24):
"Donald Trump: 'Maybe we should boycott Starbucks'"

Trump added, "If I become president, we're all going to be saying Merry Christmas again, that I can tell you. That I can tell you. Unbelievable."

Man, I hope he stays in the race - he's an endless fountain of comedy gold!!

B777LRF

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 20):
I like to view it as a forced vacation, which is badly needed after a year with no voluntary vacation time taken.

Why on earth would anyone go a year without vacation? I've had 5 weeks so far, still have a week left which I fully intend to make use. Work to live, don't live to work - life's way too short for that.

StarAC17

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 2):
1) Point out the gross commercialize of Christmas and it orgy of consumerism too many connect with it.

2) To push all retailers to shut down all day on Thanksgiving and not open for 'Black Friday' until 7 AM (that is law in one of the biggest retail districts in the USA - Paramus, NJ) to allow staff to enjoy quality family time instead of working.

3) Realize that not everyone is Christian, or believes in religion, so forcing retailers and businesses to say 'Merry Christmas' instead of the more inclusive 'Happy Holidays'.

4) Demand all Christmas decorations, card and more gift items are made in the USA, Canada, Mexico that are 'Christian' rather than 'godless communist' China.

5) Christmas as celebrated with trees, lights, snow, presents etc. is not a Christian celebration!! It is a pagan celebration of the winter solstice and the days getting longer, none of that has anything to do with the birth of Jesus and it predates it. I read somewhere that December 25th is the first day that humans would notice the days getting longer as it the length of daylight change is very little around a solstice. Or in ancient times the Winter solstice was on December 25th and not December 21/22.

The description in the bible of shepards tending to their herds would not be something that would happen in December in where Israel is today. It was likely summer/early fall that Jesus would have been born.

http://www.ucg.org/bible-study-tools...st-born-was-jesus-born-on-december

Quoting luckyone (Reply 12):

If you are of another faith you can ask not to work on those days also and your employer has to accommodate you IIRC.

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 21):
And these are the same people who constantly complain how liberals get easily offended at everything. It's a damn cup.

Some of these people complaining probably own shares in Starbucks and the fancy cups from previous years decreased their dividend 0.01% and they insisted the cups were plain to save money and simply forgot. Then they were outraged when the cups came out.   

Braybuddy

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:52 pm

As an athiest I shouldn't care, but Starbuck's are just being wishy-washy here. Either they celebrate Christmas or they don't. Half hearted efforts like are pathetic and only end up annoying everyone.

[Edited 2015-11-10 15:55:17]

Mir

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 26):
Why on earth would anyone go a year without vacation?

Because you live in the US.

-Mir

seb146

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:01 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 28):
Starbuck's are just being wishy-washy here.

Not really. They switched from their standard white and green to red and green. The biggest difference is the cups don't have winter scenes on them. Like snowmen and Christmas trees and snowflakes.

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 21):
Thanksgiving will just be an extension of black Friday... if it isn't already.

Yes, it already is. Many stores are opening on Thanksgiving for shoppers.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 24):

I have been asking: when did we stop saying Merry Christmas? Maybe these "we are not offended by anything" right wingers are so afraid of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and Athiests that this "war" is the new normal in their world?

The brosband and I just drove to SAN and back this weekend. As we drove by the Crystal Cathedral, I wondered why are these right wingers who value the word of Christ not offended by the multi million dollar buildings these "religious" leaders set up? Why are these right wingers who value the word of Christ offended by people begging and show so much outrage and hatred over a damn cup?

LAX772LR

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:35 am

That is quite possibly one of the most thoughtless questions I've ever seen asked here (or really, anywhere).  Wow!  Sad

But, in the event that it was somehow asked seriously:
  • Because they can't afford to, perhaps?
  • Because they work in a job/position that doesn't offer vacation?
  • Because they're aggregating their vacation in exchange for a year-end bonus or early-retirement options?
  • Because they work multiple jobs, and cannot coordinate available time off?
  • etc etc ad infinitum.....

• [Edited 2015-11-10 16:46:30]

BestWestern

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:59 am

I'd wager that Starbucks changed the cups to save money on printing.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:11 am

Christians are throwing a fit

To be fair, JOSHUA FUERSTEIN and his band of "Christians" who like to get angry for fun are throwing a fit. Most Christians are just confused.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 2):

And realize that even for mainstream Christians, the Holiday Season consists of THREE holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. Thus, "Happy Holidays" encompasses all three without even needing to acknowledge that there are non-Christians in the world.

But now there is a different narrative: This is all a liberal plot to make Christians look stupid.

No, Mr. Fuerstein is no liberal and he is most certainly a Christian. He has done this.

Some of my Christian friends have said that they are "embarrassed." Well, they should be. Perhaps it's time for them to shout this nonsense down.

BMI727

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:34 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 18):
    I dislike people using their made up fairy tales to do nasty things to other people.

There's "doing nasty things to other people" and then there's a bunch of other stuff people whine about. Not paying for birth control is not doing something nasty to someone.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 19):
    Actually, allowing access to birth control IS a government problem.

There's access and then there's providing it. Everyone should have access (i.e. no backwater town should be allowed to make it illegal to sell) but if you want it you should pay for it yourself.

What happens to the babies born to women who can not afford to take care of them or who never wanted them in the first place? They end up in government care.

Get the kids away from idiot parents who are too stupid to use birth control and give them a proper education and upbringing so they don't become another generation of economic dregs.

As for the rest of your replies to me, they make no sense at all.

Learning to read may help you with that.

None of that answered my original question: How is one company switching from a white and green cup to a red and green cup telling us that we are not allowed to celebrate Christmas or even say "Merry Christmas"?

It's not but that is not the point.

I've gone over two plus years without taking a vacation day.

There's nothing I want to do that badly and I'm not going to spend a bunch of money to go sit somewhere and feel bad about missing out on work.

ltbewr

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:52 am

H&M stores have announced today that they are not going to be open Thanksgiving Day. Several other national and regional stores like Staples, have also chose to not be open for Thanksgiving Day this year. REI a co-operative owned outside sports chain won't be open on "Black Friday" either, to allow their staff and customers to enjoy the day (and perhaps work off the heavy eating the previous day) as well as for good Public Relations.

I hope this is a trend. Some stores are realizing that being open on all or part of Thanksgiving Day or very early is not profitable, costs too much, hurts employee moral (especially of salaried managers), is not good public relations to many customers. Better would be trend that most shoppers would not shop on Thanksgiving or early on Black Friday and spend some time with their families, sleep in, and if choose to shop that weekend, consider small shops on Saturday as American Express promotion suggests, instead of supporting a foreign or distantly owned by a too rich family. That would be a real 'Christian' thing to do.

aerorobnz

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:02 am

Good. It's an 8 week long retail trade show. I participate but I don't really care about the hijacked Pagan festival that Christmas is. It started out being hijacked by Christianity, and then by businesses to sell the previous year's junk before the next season.

The most important part of Christmas is that it involves me spending time eating and drinking with my family during the nice summer weather. I can do without all the other bullshit as long as I have that.

luckyone

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:52 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 30):
    I have been asking: when did we stop saying Merry Christmas? Maybe these "we are not offended by anything" right wingers are so afraid of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and Athiests that this "war" is the new normal in their world?

I've had all of the above wish me a Merry Christmas, and had them all over at my Christmas parties. It's never been an issue. I think it's a made-up issue that's exacerbated by entitled individuals who also happen to identify as a Christian (of some sort).

DocLightning

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:43 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 34):
    Get the kids away from idiot parents who are too stupid to use birth control and give them a proper education and upbringing so they don't become another generation of economic dregs.

Why that sounds like a vast welfare project. I'm rather shocked at you, BMI727. YOU of all people for a vast government project? YOU of all people claiming that the government might be better at raising kids than some parents? Well color me mindblown...

Quoting luckyone (Reply 37):
    I've had all of the above wish me a Merry Christmas, and had them all over at my Christmas parties. It's never been an issue. I think it's a made-up issue that's exacerbated by entitled individuals who also happen to identify as a Christian (of some sort).

During the season, I wish my Christian patients a Merry Christmas. I don't think I have any Jewish patients but I'd wish them a Happy Chanukah if it were before Chanukah and a Merry Christmas if after Chanukah but before Christmas because Jews (and every other religion) in America wind up celebrating Christmas, too. In our own way of course (with a day off work, Chinese food, and a movie).

Similarly, during Ramadan I wish my Muslim patients a Ramadan Mubarak.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 36):
    The most important part of Christmas is that it involves me spending time eating and drinking with my family during the nice summer weather.

That just sounds so strange to me. I grew up with white Christmases.

MaverickM11

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:45 am

There's "doing nasty things to other people" and then there's a bunch of other stuff people whine about. Not paying for birth control is not doing something nasty to someone.

It's pretty nasty, economically counterproductive, and flat out dumb. Birth control is completely legal, absolutely a (phenomenally money saving) health issue, and not mentioned in the bible, which I guarantee the knuckle draggers at Hobby Lobby have never read. Flip the roles--would you support a company to not cover christians because they think christians are not part of whatever belief system they have? It's total insanity that fairy tales are dictating basic, sound healthcare decisions.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 35):
    I hope this is a trend. Some stores are realizing that being open on all or part of Thanksgiving Day or very early is not profitable, costs too much, hurts employee moral

If it's not profitable, why do companies do it then? I just don't see why people get their knickers in a twist over this. If you don't want to shop on the holidays, don't. I sure as hell don't. When I worked shift work, I swapped shifts with people who were more than happy to take my holiday shifts. Who are we to assume that everyone a) celebrates these holidays b) wants to be with their family and c) wouldn't prefer making more/overtime money if it's offered.

seb146

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:14 am

Boy, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself.

It's not but that is not the point.

But, it is. This thread is about this fake outrage and the fake war on Christmas. Which only exists in the minds of paranoid right wingers and their brain dead followers.

Get the kids away from idiot parents

Government.

who are too stupid to use birth control

Because state government chose to provide abstinence only birth control education and state government chose to cut funding for OB/GYN and low income clinics.

give them a proper education and upbringing so they don't become another generation of economic dregs

Government.

Everyone should have access (i.e. no backwater town should be allowed to make it illegal to sell)

Government regulation.

if you want it you should pay for it yourself.

And, by that, you mean that working for a Chick-Fil-A or a Hobby Lobby means you can NOT have access to birth control, right? Besides, if a woman makes only $9 an hour for 25 hours a week but needs to make $20 an hour 40 hours a week just to survive, birth control does not come first for her. What then?

Private enterprise will do nothing for the poor. This is a fact. Look at where this country is today thanks to trickle down economics. Compare that to the trickle up economics of the 1950s and 1960s.

I really wish people like you and Trump and Carson and pretty much all of the right wingers and evangelicals were forced to live for a year with nothing. No name, no credit cards, no bank account, no cell phone. Absolutely nothing. Start off in the doorway of some shuttered building with only a sweater and jeans. See how far those bootstraps get you. You have them when you have nothing. Go ahead. Pick yourself up when you have nothing.

einsteinboricua
    Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:34 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 20):
    I like to view it as a forced vacation, which is badly needed after a year with no voluntary vacation time taken.

Why on earth would anyone go a year without vacation? I've had 5 weeks so far, still have a week left which I fully intend to make use. Work to live, don't live to work - life's way too short for that.

LAX772LR gives two of my reasons (I've bolded them):

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 31):
    But, in the event that it was somehow asked seriously:
    Because they can't afford to, perhaps?
    Because they work in a job/position that doesn't offer vacation?
    Because they're aggregating their vacation in exchange for a year-end bonus or early-retirement options?
    Because they work multiple jobs, and cannot coordinate available time off?
    etc etc ad infinitum.....

1. There's no point in taking a day or two off if everyone else is at the office AND all I'm gonna do is stay in my place or drive around the city. If I'm going to use vacation time I want to use it properly: a cruise, a trip to another country/state. Right now, my finances are not in shape for me to think about taking such trips. I am saving up though, but there are more pressing needs right now (like paying off debt...I just finished paying off my student loans, now on to the car loan).
    2. I've been waiting to hit the cap on the time before taking time off. The reason being that my company does not offer a good package in case I need to take time off. If there's death in the family and I have to travel to take care of issues, that's considered personal time and deducted from sick leave and vacation time. If I land in the hospital, once my sick leave is used, vacation time is next. No such thing as a leave of absence unless it's going to be for a LONG time (like a coworker who had back surgery and will be out of action for at least a year...no way on earth sick leave and vacation time will cover that amount). I'd rather have a cushion for such events.

There's nothing I want to do that badly and I'm not going to spend a bunch of money to go sit somewhere and feel bad about missing out on work.

I'm actually the same way. The few days I've taken off are because I can't work them. Once I meet my pay period hours, if there are days left, I'm not authorized to work overtime so I HAVE to take it off. The downside is that my project, already burdened, will be even more burdened with my absence. That's another day I'm not working on it and that could be used more efficiently.

Besides, every time I take a day off, I literally have NOTHING to do. And let me explain what I mean: I have NOTHING to do. Vacation time should be spent doing something enjoyable. A day trip, a walk in the park, a hobby...I don't have those. I just wake up, cook breakfast, workout, then spend the day on Facebook, a.net, et al...not exactly the way I'd like to spend a day off. I feel I would be more productive at the office.

DocLightning

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:27 am

Well, Donald Trump has jumped on the derp wagon. I hope this shows the American public about the caliber of the current GOP.

luckyone

Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:36 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):
    Well, Donald Trump has jumped on the derp wagon. I hope this shows the American public about the caliber of the current GOP.

Unlikely. He's as popular as he is because of the sheer number of dunderheads in this country.

seb146

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:46 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 42):

Nope. Standing in the middle of a riot, the group mentality takes over. Trump is a savior to the right wingers, of sorts. People who buy into a fad. Kinda like parachute pants or the Macarena. We all loved Macarena. Some of us have grown and learned. Others cling to that notion that things were so much simpler and better then.

This crop of GOP candidates is like Macarena. We all need to point and giggle and say "oh, isn't that quaint..." as we vote for either Bernie or Hillary to move us into the 21st century.

B777LRF

Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 31):
    That is quite possibly one of the most thoughtless questions I've ever seen asked here (or really, anywhere).

Is that so? If that's the case I'm sorry for you.

Taking vacation does not necessarily mean going traveling or spending vast amounts of money. I've got 6 weeks + 5 days + 12 public holidays to take every year, but I don't go travelling on all of my days off - that would be cost prohibitive. But I do take all the days off I'm entitled to, even if I 'only ' spend it working on the house/cleaning the car/going up the summer cottage in Sweden/doing sweet FA.

LAX772LR

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:31 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 45):
    Is that so? If that's the case I'm sorry for you.

You, feel sorry for me, that your statement demonstrates a complete lack of forethought/contemplation?

...um, that seems to apply even less logic than the drivel you spewed earlier!  

LAX772LR

Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:36 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 33):
    Most Christians are just confused.

Maybe this will help.  

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:28 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 23):
    to the point that it gets all Danes a 4-day weekend (Good friday + Easter Monday are national holidays

And in Norway we get 5 days, the thursday before Good Friday is also a public holiday.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 41):
    I'm actually the same way.

I feel sorry for you guys, life must really suck. I get 5 weeks per year plus public holidays, if I have to travel over a weekend for a business meeting Monday I get those days back. A happy well rested worker is a productive worker  

CPH-R

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:44 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 48):
    And in Norway we get 5 days, the thursday before Good Friday is also a public holiday.

As it is here as well, d'oh. I keep forgeting it's a public holiday as well, since the Maundy Thursday service is conducted in the evening.