timz
Topic Author

What Kind Of Warship? (says 1963)

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:32 am

Is it American? What kind of missiles? Behind the missiles, are those radars for them? What does the ship do besides fire those missiles?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6117030...107444/in/album-72157645481904456/

NSMike

RE: What Kind Of Warship? (says 1963)

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:39 am

American. Looks like a Leahy Class guided missile cruiser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Leahy_%28DLG-16%29

[Edited 2015-11-10 19:40:51]
Pearl Snares, Taye Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Remo Heads, Los Cabos Sticks

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:49 am

Quoting NSMike (Reply 1):

I think it looks a bit more like a Farragut-class destroyer. Tough to tell though.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Kiwirob

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 am

Quoting NSMike (Reply 1):

It is American, it's not a Leahy, the hull doesn't have the step up which a Leahy has.

NSMike

Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):
I think it looks a bit more like a Farragut-class destroyer. Tough to tell though.
Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 3):
It is American, it's not a Leahy, the hull doesn't have the step up which a Leahy has.

You're right... I'll amend my guess to Farragut as well.
Pearl Snares, Taye Drums, Sabian Cymbals, Remo Heads, Los Cabos Sticks

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:36 pm

My guess would also be a Farragut class destroyer based on that slightly angular rear deck house and the placement of the masts and funnels. The only other class this made me think of would have been a Providence class cruiser, but they lack that steeply angled hull as you approach the bow. I actually have a brother who served on a member of this class, the USS William V. Pratt (DDG-44). To address your other questions:

Quoting timz (Thread starter):
Is it American?

NSMike hit this, but yes, they were American, originally built and commissioned in the late '50s/early '60s. The 10 ships in this class were all decommissioned in the late '80s/early '90s and sold for scrap.

What kind of missiles?

Those look to be practice missiles (hence the blue color) mocking up the RIM-2 Terrier surface-to-air missile. Depending on the version, the Terrier was either a beam-riding missile or utilized semi-active radar homing and usually featured a conventional warhead, although one version, the RIM-2D, featured a 1kT nuclear warhead.

Behind the missiles, are those radars for them?

Yes, those are AN/SPG-55 radars, which were the tracking/illumination radar for the Terriers.

What does the ship do besides fire those missiles?

Now? Help ensure you get a close shave  . Then? Their primary mission was to help defend a carrier battle group from attack by bombers armed with air-to-surface missiles. The Terriers were their primary armament and served this purpose. They also featured a 5" gun to engage surface targets as well as a launcher for the RUR-5 ASROC antisubmarine rocket and torpedo tubes for (at the time the photo was taken) Mark 44 or Mark 46 torpedoes. Make no bones, about it though, their primary purpose was defending the airspace around the carrier.

[Edited 2015-11-11 07:36:46]
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 pm

In the name of running to ground which exact ship this is, I think I've narrowed down which members of the class it might be - based on the tags, the photo was taken in Europe, so that means the ship is more likely than not assigned to the Atlantic Fleet. Also at the time of their commissioning, the Farraguts were considered frigates, not destroyers, so they were classified as DLGs rather than DDGs, which they were reclassified as in 1975. The LANTFLT Farraguts at the time were:

USS Farragut (DLG-6)
USS Luce (DLG-7)
USS Macdonough (DLG-8)
USS William V. Pratt (DLG-13)
USS Dewey (DLG-14)
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.