celestar
Topic Author

Russian Military Response: Downing Of Airliner

Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:56 am

Mounting evidences are suggesting the downing of a Russian airliners over Sinai are terriorist related, particularly ISIS. I am quite surprised that there is no direct military response to this. Russia is busy evacuating their citizens away from this region and maybe, after that, there will be some swift and strong retaliation against ISIS. It is just too quiet there.....

rwessel

RE: Russian Military Response: Downing Of Airliner

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:40 am

It strikes me that antagonizing the Russians like that is a bad tactical move by ISIS. Back in the 80s when everybody was taking hostages in Lebanon, a handful of Soviet's were taken - and fairly promptly released. The rumors were "interesting".

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:02 am

Quoting rwessel (Reply 1):
The rumors were "interesting".

Do tell.

moo

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 2):
Do tell.

Even terrorists have families...

ptrjong

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:32 am

It strikes me that antagonizing the Russians like that is a bad tactical move by ISIS.

You can hardly accuse ISIS of tactical moves to please anyone.
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

kc135topboom

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:39 am

I believe Putin wants all his ducks in a row on this one. I think he wants free rain on his response to ISIS and wants to have the international committee behind him. He already has the US as we have provided information of an inflight explosion. The Egyptians also seem to be leaning to a terrorist planting the explosives aboard the doomed A-321. But, Egypt was also where the flight originated and it flew from their airport, so airport security there will be under Russia's microscope.

Once all the pieces fall into place, Russia's response will be relentless in Syria and Iraq.

angad84

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:40 am

Quoting ptrjong (Reply 4):
You can hardly accuse ISIS of tactical moves to please anyone.

Pleasing someone and not antagonising someone are two different things.

To be fair, I don't think ISIS cares either way. I can't wait for someone to properly hammer these w***ers full "wrath of god" style.

Cheers
Angad

MD11Engineer

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:49 pm

The rumors were "interesting".

Do tell.

I understand that after one of the hostages got killed, some terrorists and some male family members of theirs were found dead, dumped on the roadside, minus their private parts, which were removed before they died.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

bikerthai

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 5):
Russia's response will be relentless in Syria and Iraq.

In practical sense, probably not. I doubt the US will allow Russian planes to operate in Iraq as the Iraqi forces are now on their offensive in the north and slowly working the south.

Syria would be the only place where Russian air power may be effective. But as the US found out, there are limited targets, no matter how many planes you put in the air.

Most effective would be covert operations. But then they would be hamstrung to operate in Syria.

One thing I can see as the other poster noted is targeting the families of the high ranking ISIS leaders, not in Syria, or Iraq but in the rest of the world. But then, the group is so splintered with so many branches, I'm not sure it that strategy would work. If you are seeing your friends and family being bombed in front of your eyes, are you going to care any more if they are being targeted elsewhere?

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 7):
I understand that after one of the hostages got killed, some terrorists and some male family members of theirs were found dead, dumped on the roadside, minus their private parts, which were removed before they died.

Nice, a bit of ruthlessness goes a long way.

Quoting bikerthai (Reply 8):
I doubt the US will allow Russian planes to operate in Iraq as the Iraqi forces are now on their offensive in the north and slowly working the south.

Do the US have the authourity to stop the Russian operating in Iraq especially since the Iraqis have already said Russia can operate there if required.

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20...llows-russian-airstrikes-isil.html

The Russian people will be expecting a strong response; I agree with KC135, Putin wants his ducks all lined up before he smashes them.

moo

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:25 pm

In practical sense, probably not. I doubt the US will allow Russian planes to operate in Iraq as the Iraqi forces are now on their offensive in the north and slowly working the south.

And if the Iraqi's request Russian assistance?

Syria would be the only place where Russian air power may be effective. But as the US found out, there are limited targets, no matter how many planes you put in the air.

Only if you are targeting one specific rebel group out of hundreds, rather than just anything fighting against the government...

Acheron

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):
Quote:
According to Morris, the KBG determined the kidnapping to be the work of the Shiite Muslim group known as Hezbollah, or Party of God. This was the same radical pro-Iranian faction that figured so belligerently in the mass hostage-taking from the TWA airliner at Beirut Airport last June.

Unlike the approach the United States used to resolve the TWA crisis, however, the Soviets did not bother negotiating with Hezbollah through Nabih Berri, Lebanon's justice minister and leader of the Shiite Amal militia.

Instead, the KGB kidnapped a man they knew to be a close relative of a prominent Hezbollah leader. They then castrated him and sent the severed organs to the Hezbollah official, before dispatching the unfortunate kinsman with a bullet in the brain.

In addition to presenting him with this grisly proof of their seriousness, the KGB operatives also advised the Hezbollah leader that they knew the indentities of other close relatives of his, and that he could expect more such packages if the three Soviet diplomats were not freed immediately.
http://articles.philly.com/1986-01-1...es-islamic-liberation-organization

Kiwirob

Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:45 pm

Acheron that's how it should be done, I have no issue with this kind of diplomacy.

nomadd22

Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:23 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 7):

They still had all their parts. Some of them had just been moved to a new location.
Anon

L-188

Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:09 am

I believe Putin wants all his ducks in a row on this one

Agreed, Putin is anything if calculating. He doesn't have an impatient press to hound him so he is able to take the time to sum up the situation and create a response.

Agreed, that is one of the problems with the war on terror, a lot of people have worked too hard to maintain their humanity during the fight.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jupiter2

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:22 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 14):
Agreed, that is one of the problems with the war on terror, a lot of people have worked too hard to maintain their humanity during the fight.

Exactly, it must be time to take the kid gloves off and stop treating these animals as anything else but animals. It is time that they are put down and the "governments" that support them. They have no respect for life, hell, they are killing more Muslims than anyone ever could, because they are a "different brand of Muslim.

celestar
Topic Author

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:25 pm

I was sadden by the news today on Paris attack.
It is time we get tough with ISIS.
Putin and others, it is time to say "that is enough!"

DocLightning

Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:21 am

It strikes me that antagonizing the Russians like that is a bad tactical move by ISIS. Back in the 80s when everybody was taking hostages in Lebanon, a handful of Soviet's were taken - and fairly promptly released. The rumors were "interesting".
Do tell.

Oh, a few Jihadists showed up dead with their genitals chopped off and stuffed in their mouths with signs that the genital chopping happened while they were still alive, that sort of thing.

IS has now managed to piss off pretty much the entire industrialized world in short order. I can be hopeful about positive outcomes but my experience is that this will get much messier until something else distracts everyone. But I suspect that both NATO and Russia will now go full-bore into ISISlandia and then have a serious disagreement over some major policy. And I hope that doesn't lead to war between NATO and Russia.

[Edited 2015-11-14 17:45:40]
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aesma

Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:50 am

I'm sorry but nobody in power in the West is sympathetic to ISIS nor will mourn the death of their members. The ruthlessness of Russia in the matter (as in other matters, Ukraine for example) will not be in killing ISIS members or their families, it will be in killing everybody else around that had nothing to do with them, except being under their fist. Also called "collateral damage".

This will only lead to more refugees coming our way...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

LMP737

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:05 am

The Russian people will be expecting a strong response; I agree with KC135, Putin wants his ducks all lined up before he smashes them.

Smash them with what? Is he going to send in the Russian Army? An army that still consists mainly of minimally trained conscripts that seems to have it's hands full back home. I can think of no better recruiting tool for groups like ISIS and Al Nusra than to have the Russian Army fighting in Syria. The Air Force? If western air forces haven't been able to smash them what makes you think they will?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

777Jet

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:56 am

Once all the pieces fall into place, Russia's response will be relentless in Syria and Iraq.

It wouldn't take much to be more relentless than the half-baked effort from those involved now  

I am actually hoping that some agreement is made and Russia gets to go it alone in Syria which would let others pull out of Syria and just focus on Iraq, or, just provide them with an exit strategy to get out of this particular region all together.

If Russia want this fight then I have no problem with them doing it alone for now, if they are others can agree on something like that. Al least Russia will do things properly.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

F9Animal

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:30 am

Can the US really stop Russia from responding? I don't think the US will flex muscles when Russia decides to handle business. If anything, I would hope the US would be deploying troops with sticks and marshmallows after the last bomb falls.
I Am A Different Animal!!

WIederling

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:38 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 21):
Can the US really stop Russia from responding?

The Russians already seem to operate over/across Iran, Irak, Syria with approval of the regional governments.
US, GB, FR seem to tread lightly now. No "testing" of the Russians.
Actually nothing in the way of confrontation that reaches the media.

No idea what kind hammer has been shown around...
Murphy is an optimist

rfields5421

Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Quoting celestar (Thread starter):
Mounting evidences are suggesting the downing of a Russian airliners over Sinai are terriorist related, particularly ISIS. I am quite surprised that there is no direct military response to this. Russia is busy evacuating their citizens

You've kind of got the cart before the horse.

There was a direct Russian military action against ISIS.

In response to the military action, ISIS claims to have carried out a response to show Russia that action against ISIS would have consequences for Russian civilians.

--------------------------

As far as how to stop the terrorists, the nations of the world have to become terrorists - murder women and children - track down the families of ISIS terrorists and publicly kill them.

When some from ISIS cuts the head off a hostage and post it on the internet, the 'civilized' nations will have to hunt down his mother or sister in the UK, and publicly behead them in exactly the same manner - full color and sound video on the internet.

Completely disgusting to stoop to the level of such animals, but that is the only language they understand.

Kiwirob

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:18 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 18):
it will be in killing everybody else around that had nothing to do with them, except being under their fist. Also called "collateral damage".

Just like the US, your bias is showing, the US killed tens of thousands of civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq, and they didn't give a crap.

Aesma

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:10 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 24):
Just like the US, your bias is showing, the US killed tens of thousands of civilians in Afghanistan and Iraq, and they didn't give a crap.

And what are the results ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aesma

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 23):
As far as how to stop the terrorists, the nations of the world have to become terrorists - murder women and children - track down the families of ISIS terrorists and publicly kill them.

When some from ISIS cuts the head off a hostage and post it on the internet, the 'civilized' nations will have to hunt down his mother or sister in the UK, and publicly behead them in exactly the same manner - full color and sound video on the internet.
Completely disgusting to stoop to the level of such animals, but that is the only language they understand.

That's ridiculous. That would mean they have already won, imposing their ideology to us. And that wouldn't work, as they actually don't understand that, or they wouldn't be doing it themselves.

rfields5421

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Let's see:

We've modified our lives, given up a lot of our privacy and freedoms to allow government security 'protect' us,

We now live with a fear / paranoia of a possible attack,

In the US we have replaced our base concepts of freedom of religion, with proposals to limit how some people practice their religion,

Seems to me that they have achieved their goal to make us change our lifestyle and live in fear.

They don't want to impose their ideology on us. They want us to retreat and live in fear. Their goal is to remove 'western ideas' from the media, Internet and eventually the world. And they are willing to spend a thousand years doing it.

The only thing they fear is that their subject populations might become educated and learn to think for themselves.

Politicians all over the world of many types have found building a climate of fear is the easiest way to control populations. Just look at the politicians in the US preaching fear of immigrants. Same concept - keep peopl focused on a minor 'issue' so the politicians can pursue their agenda without real public scrutiny.

Kiwirob

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 25):
And what are the results ?

No very good mainly because the US went after the wrong countries, they didn't need to go after Saddam, he did nothing and the Taliban offered to hand over OBL but the US decided a pointless invasion was a better idea.

LMP737

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:54 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 28):
No very good mainly because the US went after the wrong countries, they didn't need to go after Saddam, he did nothing and the Taliban offered to hand over OBL but the US decided a pointless invasion was a better idea.

Now that you have gotten it out of your system how exactly is Putin going to crush ISIS?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

par13del

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:11 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 27):
They don't want to impose their ideology on us.

Well they always say they are doing their actions in the name of a religion that tolerates no other.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 27):
Their goal is to remove 'western ideas' from the media, Internet and eventually the world. And they are willing to spend a thousand years doing it.

Which some can identify with imposing ideaology.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 29):
how exactly is Putin going to crush ISIS?

Unfortunately, everyone has an idea of what not to do, most have "leave them alone and they will leave you alone" as the core philosophy.

n229nw

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:10 am

Oh yes, killing innocent people because they happen to be related to effed-up murderers will clearly solve the problem.   

Next time a bank is robbed, let's lock up the robber's cousin to teach him a lesson. It's the only language he'll understand.   
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:48 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 29):
Now that you have gotten it out of your system how exactly is Putin going to crush ISIS?

I think there will be a lot of Russian boots on the ground, if what Putin said last night is to be believed the first objectives with be the oilfields ISIL controls, cut off one of their sources of funding and life gets harder for them. Then you just have to kill everyone you capture, no putting them into prision or places like GITMO, just kill them, these people are better off dead.

rfields5421

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Quoting n229nw (Reply 31):
killing innocent people

However, the people under the control of the terrorists are constantly bombarded by propaganda cloaked as religion that such actions are necessary.

If the French military kills a few terrorists in a bombing raid in Syria, then the terrorists are justified in killing a hundred or more innocent people in Paris.

The deaths in Paris, and the downing of the Russian airliner, are being praised as justifiable retaliation from 'crimes' committed against ISIS fighters.

pu

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 33):
ever, the people under the control of the terrorists are constantly bombarded by propaganda cloaked as religion that such actions are necessary

Propaganda does not erase morality.

The price and responsibility for killing people in Paris or on a Russian airliner is correctly assigned to them whether or not they have an honest view of the world or a propagandist view of the world. As usual in failed societies they choose to blame others for their problems.

Pu.

DeltaMD90

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Dude.

I expected so much better from you...

tu204

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:25 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 19):
Smash them with what? Is he going to send in the Russian Army? An army that still consists mainly of minimally trained conscripts that seems to have it's hands full back home.

No conscripts are sent to Syria, only regular forces, those who have signed a contract.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 19):
The Air Force? If western air forces haven't been able to smash them what makes you think they will?

The fact that the "Western Air Forces" have been bombing who-knows-what for the last year is of no concern.
Plus if you are funding and aiding terrorists and trying to bomb them at the same time, well it is counterproductive to say the least.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

pvjin

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:33 am

Quoting tu204 (Reply 36):
Plus if you are funding and aiding terrorists and trying to bomb them at the same time, well it is counterproductive to say the least.

Exactly. All the Sunni militants opposing Assad are more or less Islamist, no matter if it's FSA or ISIS they deserve some bombs.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

dfwjim1

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 pm

I wonder if some well placed tactical nukes used on ISIS by either NATO and/or Russia would help discourage them?

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 38):
I wonder if some well placed tactical nukes used on ISIS by either NATO and/or Russia would help discourage them?

I don't think we need to go that far at the moment.

Acheron

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:07 pm

The Russians have stepped up the operations in response to the confirmation of the attack on Kolavia's A321

6 Tu-95MS, 5 Tu-160 and 14 Tu-22M were deployed and launched several cruise missiles, Kh-555 and Kh-101, towards ISIS positions within Raqqa and Aleppo.

Mix of new and old footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igzjX1IKULw

One of the Missiles flying over Aleppo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILch2QMFo8A

They also said they would add an extra 8 Su-34 to those already stationed in Syria plus 4 Su-27SM.

[Edited 2015-11-17 09:10:24]

tu204

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 40):

The Russians have stepped up the operations in response to the confirmation of the attack on Kolavia's A321

6 Tu-95MS, 5 Tu-160 and 14 Tu-22M were deployed and launched several cruise missiles, Kh-555 and Kh-101, towards ISIS positions within Raqqa and Aleppo.

Not several, over 100 were launched.

Quoting Acheron (Reply 40):
They also said they would add an extra 8 Su-34 to those already stationed in Syria plus 4 Su-27SM.

Thats the intersting part - Su-27's in this role are anti-aircraft support fighters. Against whom?
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Acheron

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting tu204 (Reply 41):
Against whom?

Turkey not liking their allies being hit, maybe

ltbewr

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:05 pm

ISIS likely has 'friends' in Chechnya who also hate the Russians who could step up with terror attacks inside Russia.
Probably best the Russians could do is with other countries to bust up communications, command and control and oil related facilities, trying not to attack too many civilians.

tu204

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Quoting Acheron (Reply 42):
Turkey not liking their allies being hit, maybe

Well said. And here I was breaking my brain as to why we are flying SU-30's over Syria fighting ISIL.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 43):

ISIS likely has 'friends' in Chechnya who also hate the Russians who could step up with terror attacks inside Russia.
Probably best the Russians could do is with other countries to bust up communications

ISIL has friends everywhere. Do not think that if you are in the US you are safe, thesу dudes will find you. If in doubt, ask a friend in Paris.
Maybe it's personal, but I have a few Chechen friends, and most of them want to enroll in the forces and do some punishing.

sovietjet

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Hopefully Russia does what the other countries are too scared to do because of their "tolerant" PC politics and carpet bomb Raqqa into oblivion.

MD11Engineer

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 35):

Dude.

I expected so much better from you...

Did anybody read the whole post? Read the last sentence:

There exist people who see any humaity as a sign of weakness which needs to be exploited. The question is how to deal with such people without becoming like them.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Mir

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 46):
There exist people who see any humaity as a sign of weakness which needs to be exploited. The question is how to deal with such people without becoming like them.

And that's assuming that hunting down the families of ISIS members and executing them would do something positive. I honestly don't. At best, the terrorists would see it as a price to pay for waging their struggle and they'd see them in heaven soon. More likely is that it would push terrorists who were having second thoughts over the edge, and it would be horrible PR in the region that the radicals could exploit to bring new members into the fold.

It's not just an inhuman thing to do, it's not a productive thing to do.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AR385

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:37 pm

Quoting sovietjet (Reply 45):
Hopefully Russia does what the other countries are too scared to do because of their "tolerant" PC politics and carpet bomb Raqqa into oblivion.

Get a grip on your genocidal thoughts. Do you realize the city is heavily urbanized and has over 320,000 people in it, the vast, vast majority of which are there against their will and subjected to the atrocities of ISIS on a daily basis?

That is precisely one of the main reasons it HAS NOT been carpet bombed and why ISIS chose it as its "capital"

Some of the things being written in some of the threads here seem as if they were being written by terrorists themsselves.

Pellegrine

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:17 pm

They ought to deliver one of those gigantic thermobaric bombs on the outskirts of the city to strike the fear of Allah into those people.
oh boy, here we go!!!