csturdiv
Topic Author

Expats, What Do You Miss From Home?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:33 pm

How many expats are around here and what do you miss from home the most (other than the obvious family and friends)? I'm a US expat living in Australia, been here since September 2014. I have a trip back to the US next month for Christmas and New Years and am looking forward to the food, that is what I miss the most. Already have plans for a Chicago deep dish pizza, eating real bacon (not this bacon stuff here in Australia) and some random fast food places. Other than that I miss some of the US sports, like NHL and MLB. I am kind of converting to NRL from the NFL.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

777Jet

RE: Expats, What Do You Miss From Home?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:43 pm

Whilst I'm an Aussie, I did live in Texas for a long time, and I really miss *some* American females, Southern Hospitality, American food, American Junk Food, American restaurants, American candy, American sports, American cars, American patriotism and American equipment types - probably a few more things as well..... I really miss the Sonic Drive-In style food chain and think something like that would do well in certain locations in Australia. I miss the Sour Punch candy too, mmmm.... I even miss the shopping options in America...
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Pyrex

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:50 pm

I miss the melon. The stuff that you can get in the U.S. is complete crap compared to the juicy, refreshing stuff you can get in Portugal - when I am there over the summer I will easily eat half a melon a day by myself. I have found out that if you look hard enough you can find pretty much anything in the U.S. but still have not been able to find decent, proper melon.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

csturdiv
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:04 am

Oh yeah Sonic, I forgot about them. A chili cheese dog and tater tots. Yes! If I had a longer layover in LAX next month, I would run out of the airport and over to In-n-Out, but my connection does not allow for it though.

MrHMSH

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:11 am

Well, with my backstory (parents from different countries, born in another country, grew up in yet another), I've always been a little sad that I didn't have a real home to go back to until I was 17, so I did feel a little alien when I first moved back here, to be honest I still do in some ways.

That said, when I lived abroad I missed the UK's food (weirdly), I missed the excitement and I missed being close to relatives. And since there wasn't an airport nearby I always craved going to big airports where a plane landed once every minute rather than a few times a day. And then when I worked in Gibraltar/Southern Spain over the summer, I even started missing the cold weather! And now that I'm back I hate it again. C'est la vie!  

Dreadnought

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:14 am

I'm not an expat any more but I was for 20 years. I would list two things:

1) Good beef. You simply cannot get the tender ribeyes, prime rib etc that you have in the US.

2) The "Customer is always right" mentality. Whatever you need in the US, it is available somewhere. If the price is too high, tell them the store down the road has it for less and they will match it. If you want it at 3 in the morning, you can get it. In most countries, store hours are limited, competition is restricted, and the suppliers less willing to bend over backwards to make you a customer.
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

BestWestern

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:31 am

Now living in greater China for six years, I miss the following.

1 - family. Nothing beats a hug from your sister. Both my parents died this year (six months apart) and I really miss them - you don't realise how far away you are until your mother dies when you are waiting to board the flight home to see her.

2 - seasons - with the exception of maybe a week or two here when the temperature falls below 15 degrees, I miss Autumn and Snow.

3 - comfort foods - your own national comfort foods that cannot be replicated.

4 - friends - friends that understand you and your cultural background.

Oh and a more philosophical question. What's the difference between an expat and a migrant worker?

Two answers that came up over coffee over the weekend...

An extra zero at the end of your salary
And someone quoted Evita - behind the jewellery counter and not infront.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

777Jet

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:36 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 3):
Oh yeah Sonic, I forgot about them.

Large 'Brown-Bag' special with 2 route 44 lime slushes for the drinks (I'll add some tequila).

Sonic is usually my first meal upon arrival in Texas, as those who pick me up from the airport know where the first stop on the way home will be  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

einsteinboricua

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:04 am

Living in the states, the only thing I really miss from home is the food. Otherwise, the place is falling to bits and I could not more glad that I got out. Going back next month to visit the folks but it may very well be the last time I visit too.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

blink182

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:05 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 6):
Oh and a more philosophical question. What's the difference between an expat and a migrant worker?

Sadly, too true.

4 - friends - friends that understand you and your cultural background.

Perhaps this is why people flock to those of common nationality and background--even if it is simply defined as "not host country." I didn't know how much I had in common with Europeans and South Asians until I was living abroad for two years, and we all flocked to each other by virtue of being foreign.

As for me? Of all things I missed--anything with peanut butter in it.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

YVRLTN

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:28 am

I emigrated from England 10 years ago to Vancouver. I miss the history and the country pubs.

History - BC itself is just over 150 years old, Vancouver is a modern city, for the most part any building not listed gets to around 30 years old and it is torn down and replaced with something new and shiny. It is very attractive in its own way, but the oldest parts are merely 100 years old, whereas I used to work opposite the Tower of London for example and it is over 1000 years old and I just miss all that history. Even out in the country, there are all the old churches and pubs, some of which are 500 years old, even the old stone walls...

Pubs - as well as the history, I miss the very reasonably priced hearty food and huge selection of ales. When I go back, I always have to have a ploughmans lunch with apple pie and custard, or a good meat pie or even a curry washed down with various samples of ales.

I also miss the plethora or airports and GA fields and the dozens of super cheap flights. I really regret not having taken advantage of these more and getting out spotting at the local airfields more than I did. And I guess I miss the Premiership too, people here are vaguely aware of it but with the 8 hour time difference its tough to watch the games and generally keep up with all the gossip like I used to.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

vikkyvik

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 am

I consider Southern California to be almost a different country from Massachusetts, so things I miss:

Trees, greenery in general.
Stars.
Clear air (although SoCal has improved noticeably in the 15 years I've been here on-and-off).
Narrow, windy back roads through the forest.
Rain.
Light traffic past 10 PM.
Short drives.
Definitely my immediate family.
And yeah, I do feel that my attitude and mentality is more Mass than SoCal, so I do miss likeminded people.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Aesma

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:48 am

Can you get a baguette where you live ? If not, then I would miss that were I to live there !

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 10):
Even out in the country, there are all the old churches and pubs, some of which are 500 years old, even the old stone walls...

My parents' vacation house in Brittany is more than 500 years old, I love the stone walls too.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

solarflyer22

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:50 am

Yeah, I'd say sports and very high speed internet would be something that I miss. It does help having a foreign bank account though (online gambling?).

The affordability and selection of clothes was also big for me. You can buy name brands in Dubai but they are always 15% more. Gets super annoying.

There are lots of goodies to bring back from Australia too though. Eucalyptus honey, wine, rum, Cuban cigars etc.

ArmitageShanks

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:53 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 7):
Sonic is usually my first meal upon arrival in Texas, as those who pick me up from the airport know where the first stop on the way home will be

You know, I live about 5 minutes from a Sonic and I've not been there in probably 15 years. I just never think of it but I did always enjoy the food when I went those years ago. I guess I'll have to try it this week!

I've never been an expat but growing up with an expat father and grandparents thankfully I was able to experience the best of both worlds. My parents would pack lemon curd sandwiches or kidney pies at lunch in elementary school and everyone saying HOW GROSS it was. Weird.

[Edited 2015-11-15 18:56:34]

[Edited 2015-11-15 18:57:01]

Aaron747

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:54 am

10 years in as an expat now...

I miss few things, but the ones I do are big: family, proper heckling at ballgames, huge-ass pastrami and reuben sandwiches, Chicago-style deep dish, going for a sunny-day drive to the wine country or down Highway 1.

Everything else from home I'd otherwise miss I can get here.

3 - comfort foods - your own national comfort foods that cannot be replicated.

This...definitely. Though after moving to Osaka I certainly found proper Mexican food, at last!

2 - seasons - with the exception of maybe a week or two here when the temperature falls below 15 degrees, I miss Autumn and Snow.

Actually opposite - didn't really have seasons in California...now have the full suite.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 5):
1) Good beef. You simply cannot get the tender ribeyes, prime rib etc that you have in the US.

Hmmm...the wagyu and Kobe do me just fine over here.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

jetblueguy22

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:49 am

Oh Goodness. This thread is going to make me homesick.

I moved from Connecticut to North Dakota, so not a true expat in the literal term. But there is so much difference, it's almost like I moved to Canada (close enough).

First:Food
PIZZA. Oh my goodness. They call this crap pizza? Back home if the pizza they make here was served they'd run you out of town. Usually when I go home I pick up a pizza on the way to my folks.

Pasta:I want a real pasta sauce and meatballs. Not ragu with a hunk of ground beef.

Hot Dogs:I know this sounds silly, but hot dogs here are crap. Back where I grew up Hot Dogs were a super common quick food. There were hot dog stands that sold hot dogs made by a regional deli. And they were amazing. When I was home over the summer my mom bought a 12 pack for me to eat over the week. I'm embarrassed to say how quick they were gone. I may have had a package or two sent to me Next Day Air in my 5 years here.

Bagels:What I would do for a good fresh Bagel in the morning. Growing up my brother and I would get "stuck in traffic" on our way to school. What my parents discovered after we both had graduated was that it was actually code for running to Ami's Bagels and grabbing a fresh one with cream cheese. We went there so much that when I came home for Christmas my first year at college the guy said he missed me.

Second:People
This sounds silly, but at times here I feel like a fish out of water. I grew up in suburban Connecticut. My parents growing up worked in fancy offices and traveled almost weekly for work. Here, not a chance. Everybody here grew up with 9-5 parents. People who worked with their hands on a farm or building stuff. They look at me like the silver spooned boy who has never had dirt under his finger nails. And to a point they're not far off. But it's tough to connect with people when you have a wildly different background. My job has changed some of those impressions, but it's still tough at times.

Third and Final: Things to do
I grew up hanging out at the mall on a Friday night, swimming in a friend's pool on a Saturday, and golfing on a Sunday. Here it's not like that. They go fishing or hunting. I'll never forget this about my first semester at college. On a Wednesday my professor said class was cancelled Friday "Of course, for the duck opener." I was perplexed. Wait, you're cancelling class so people could go hunting? I remember calling my stepdad, who is from Minnesota, and telling him this. He told me that school was always closed that Friday for him growing up. I had never heard such a thing in my entire life. Not being an outdoorsman is tough in this area.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

bgm

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:50 am

Why are white people expats when the rest of us are immigrants?

http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...people-expats-immigrants-migration
OK boomer.

Francoflier

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:52 pm

At the moment, not much...

Good cheeses are hard to come by in many places, I guess I miss that.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Grizzly410

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 18):
Good cheeses are hard to come by in many places, I guess I miss that.

Without a doubt cheese would be my #1 as well (french in spain).
In order to be old and wise, one must first be young and dumb.

OA260

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Not much really purely for the fact that having relatives scattered in a few countries I often get back to those on a regular basis. Im able to indulge in the food and spend quality time with them. Im never really away that long to miss it too much.

mad99

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 15):
10 years in as an expat now...

Funny some of these, "its been a full year" expat comments but i probably did the same...

I've been here for so long now that this is home now or as a man once said, "sounds permanent" when discussing our lives abroad.

Food wise i'd say its the lack of spicy food here in Madrid

JJJ

Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Quoting Grizzly410 (Reply 19):
Without a doubt cheese would be my #1 as well (french in spain).

Lol, I thought the same when I lived in Bordeaux 

B777LRF

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:11 pm

I spent the better part of 15 years abroad, until my medical was yanked and it was time to think about working for a living and moving back to reality. My first move was out of the ME and into the EU, but that's just geography: Whether your friends and family are 500 or 5000 miles away makes no real difference. Indeed, what I missed most was family and friends, even though I worked and lived amongst like minded people, some of whom I still call friends to this day. But getting to know someone when you're in your 30s, is a far cry from the guys you've known since school or kindergarten. A sound, or a look or a gesture is all it takes to know everything about how they feel about something; words are not necessary.

Family is equally important, and I had both a daughter growing up and a set of parents growing old. I think what tipped the scales was my dad passing away. I did make it back to his deathbed in time, just, but with a mom now all alone, I couldn't bear the thought of being 7 hours away.

Was there any food I missed? Well, no, not to the point it was something I paid much attention. Did enjoy the homefood when I was home, but, also throughly enjoyed the cousines in the countries I lived in. It does help when you live somewhere, the food is up there with the best.

Did miss out on TV in the beginning, but then streaming took off in a big way and a friendly VPN was always easy to get hold of. Meant I could catch the important bits, like international footy matches between hometeam and whomever cleaned our cloak that day.

So there you have it: Family and friends; the rest is just fluff.

Quoting bgm (Reply 17):

I know plenty of people of colour who are expats, so that's got nothing to do with it. What does have everything to do with it, is your education and work experience. If you are an uneducated cleaner from London, you're not going to apply for a similar job in Dubai at half the salary and double the hours. If you're a chartered accountant from Mumbai, you could land a job abroad, making perhaps 10 times more than back home.

If you do land a job as a cleaner in Dubai, chances are you are uneducated and from the Sub-Continent. Could you call yourself an expat? Sure, if you so wish. We had people from the Phlips working for us in the M-E and I'd certainly call them expats, even though their salaries were a mere fraction of mine and they did manual labour, whereas I drove an aircraft.
Signature. You just read one.

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:22 pm

It's food, basically food in Norway is of very poor quality and is crazy expensive, but of course Norwegians will tell you that the higher salaries make up for this which is utter bullshit, especially now when the NOK has taken a beating and we are paying even more for domestically produced poor quality rubbish.

B777LRF

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 24):
It's food, basically food in Norway is of very poor quality and is crazy expensive, but of course Norwegians will tell you that the higher salaries make up for this which is utter bullshit, especially now when the NOK has taken a beating and we are paying even more for domestically produced poor quality rubbish.

The trick is, as you should have learned by now, to work in Norway but live in Sweden. Or Denmark. Or even the North-frigging-Pole and commute by dog sleigh, battling polar bears along the way, as you do. Anywhere but Norway  
Signature. You just read one.

PHX787

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:36 pm

I miss Graeters Ice cream and Skyline Chili from Cincy... but luckily enough my parents can ship the skyline here to tokyo lol

when i am back in the states i immediately miss how calm things are on the news in Japan. Sure the news is heavily watered down here but it's quite rare for the Japanese to be going on a fear-mongering campaign these days. If they did the Japanese public would probably tell that someone in the cabinet is feeding that agency some cash, and would take it with a grain of salt.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

mad99

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm

It's food

Does the weather not factor in? I used to travel for work to snowy places and the first few times its novel but then i just hate it. I can handle the cold but the snow, no way

Aeroflot777

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:49 pm

When I'm in Austria, I *really* miss the diverse amount of food at my US home-base in San Francisco. I spend a week eating out for every meal. Especially the Asian food. I'm still convinced we in SF have the best Asian food outside of Asia itself.

When I'm in San Francisco, I miss the peace and serenity of life in the Austrian mountains. I also greatly miss the fact that everything closes early in the evenings and there is no 24/7 life, not to mention that everything is shut on Sundays. Allows you to spend quality time with family and friends.

When I'm in either Innsbruck or San Francisco, I miss the cultural immersion that exists in Moscow. There is always a festival to attend, and open-air concert, a new gallery or art house one hasn't seen before. Especially performance arts - so many diverse theaters for ballet, opera, contemporary dance and musicals.

It's hard splitting time between places, but it keeps you on your toes I guess.

[Edited 2015-11-16 06:50:45]

OA260

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:03 pm

especially now when the NOK has taken a beating

I guess its better for us Euro users. Makes a change ! I was transit in OSL a few weeks back noticed the prices didnt seem as high as a few years back.

seat64k

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:08 pm

South African, having lived in the UK for nearly a decade:

1. Highveld electrical storms. Being able to smell the coming rain, feeling the electricity in the air, hearing the cracking sound of a lightning bolt that's close enough. The dark - sometimes black - clouds, the massive rain drops, the quick downpours, frequently accompanied by hail.

2. Meat. Mostly good quality yet very affordable beef. But also regular access to game.

Quoting bgm (Reply 17):

http://www.theguardian.com/global-de...people-expats-immigrants-migration

Seems like a bit of a strawman to me. Living in the UK during two waves of immigration from Eastern Europe (Polish in 2007-2008 or thereabout, and Romanian in the last year or so), I have never ever heard of Eastern Europeans referred to as Expats. Or Europeans, for that matter, or caucasian alooking South Americans.

It seems to me more like a term used by English speakers to refer to their own people living abroad, with maybe a bit of conflation of the five largest English speaking nations (ignoring Libearia since I've never encountered any Liberians anywhere).

Also, let's not forget that the word "immigrant" and "expat" are not synonyms. "Immigrant" refers specifically to someone who settles *permanently* in another country. Expat does not have the implication of permanency.

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 25):

The trick is, as you should have learned by now, to work in Norway but live in Sweden. Or Denmark. Or even the North-frigging-Pole and commute by dog sleigh, battling polar bears along the way, as you do.

Don't I wish.

Quoting mad99 (Reply 27):

Does the weather not factor in? I used to travel for work to snowy places and the first few times its novel but then i just hate it. I can handle the cold but the snow, no way

Nope I'm fine with the weather, I like the snow, it beats rain any day of the week.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 29):
I was transit in OSL a few weeks back noticed the prices didnt seem as high as a few years back.

I was in London and Southampton 2 weeks ago, I did my travel expenses last week, I was amazed at how expensive the UK has become for a Norwegian. Last time I was there it was in Feb 2013 it was 8.7 nok to the pound, it's now 13.2.

I don't know a single immigrant in Norway from English, French, American, Canadian, Australian, Filipino, Chinese, Dutch, or Iranian who think Norwegian food is all right, all the immigrants I know, man, woman and child all think Norwegian food is shit, expensive and really poor quality. Interestingly enough now that a lot of Norwegians have become independent travellers rather than package tour people they are being to see it as well.

diverted

Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 31):
I don't know a single immigrant in Norway from English, French, American, Canadian, Australian, Filipino, Chinese, Dutch, or Iranian who think Norwegian food is all right, all the immigrants I know, man, woman and child all think Norwegian food is shit, expensive and really poor quality. Interestingly enough now that a lot of Norwegians have become independent travellers rather than package tour people they are being to see it as well.

A good buddy of mine married a Norwegian girl. She got us all hooked on Kransekake. Almondy sugary goodness.
That's the only memorable Norwegian food I've ever eaten. Can't speak for anything else really, but Kransekake disappears very quickly when we're around.

1g

Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Turkish, I've lived in six countries (including Turkey) and I'm currently living in the U.S.

Stuff I generally miss.

Turkish cuisine. It's probably my bias for being Turkish, and even though I like all kinds of food, nothing ever beats Turkish food. Turkish restaurants outside of Turkey usually don't cut it... but surprisingly America did offer the best Turkish food out of all the countries I was an expat in.

I miss all my friends and connections I've had in the countries I've left (so not limited to Turkey)

Sometimes I even miss the sound of Ezan (call to prayer)  

It definitely does fire up some emotions when I hear the Ezan in Turkey after a long time of not being there.

csturdiv
Topic Author

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 26):
I miss Graeters Ice cream and Skyline Chili from Cincy... but luckily enough my parents can ship the skyline here to tokyo lol

I'll give you Graeters but the Skyline Chili, nope. My parents live in Cincy and first time I went to visit them after they moved in, I was not impressed at all when they took me there to try it.

Australians do not know what chili is, when I say chili, they ask if I mean the chili pepper. Then when I describe it, they say, oh you mean chili con carne. That is kind of close to chili, but is not chili.

OA260

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:14 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 31):
I was in London and Southampton 2 weeks ago, I did my travel expenses last week, I was amazed at how expensive the UK has become for a Norwegian. Last time I was there it was in Feb 2013 it was 8.7 nok to the pound, it's now 13.2.

Well I have noticed an increase coming from the Eurozone . At a rate of £1 - €1.40 you notice it a lot. Ironically enough I still do my food shopping in NI as even with the exchange rate lots of things are still cheaper and better offers. Certainly not as good as it used to be but I still find various items 20-30% cheaper. The joys of being near the border and having the choice of both Irish and British stores. Maybe another reason I am not missing anything .

Quoting 1g (Reply 33):
Turkish cuisine. It's probably my bias for being Turkish,

No Turkish food is great along with Lebanese. Any chance I get I try to have some nice dishes and sweets.

cgnnrw

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Germans can't produce a decent bagel. There have been attempts but just because it's round with a hole in the middle doesn't make it a bagel!

There are some comments about "customer service" in the US. To be honest I've experienced really crappy service in many parts of the US while here in Germany I've realized it isn't as bad as Germans themselves think. I'd much rather have "Meister" plumber/painter do repairs than some guy in the states who "knows" how to fix "stuff".

I will admit it's kinda fun going to the grocery store on a Sunday at 8:30 pm in the US and the produce is still fresh.
A330 man.

Kiwirob

Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:10 pm

I should also mention I really miss Sunday trading, now that my kids are older and more active being limited to Saturrdays for the weeks big shop is frustrating.

Before anyone says week nights, those are moistly filled with gym for me after work 3 nights per week, and various activities the kids do, and theres my travelling schedule which doesn't make things easier.

Coal

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Frankly I don't like the term expat. I think it is very passé, and especially in emerging markets, it almost implies being a white colonist. I prefer to think of myself as an immigrant, even if in the past I had the "expat package".

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 4):
Well, with my backstory (parents from different countries, born in another country, grew up in yet another), I've always been a little sad that I didn't have a real home to go back to until I was 17, so I did feel a little alien when I first moved back here, to be honest I still do in some ways.

Same here. Born in Europe, grew up in South America and the US, and then all my professional life I've lived in Asia Pacific.

I would say my two homes (I currently live in Sydney) are:
- Singapore
- Miami

What I miss:

US
24/7 opening hours, cheap cars, cheap gas, being able to pay with plastic everywhere, technology adoption, cultural diversity, and high speed internet (seriously Australia, DSL? WTF?)

Singapore
Food, weather, some of the most amazing places in the world being about a 2hr flight away, Singlish, efficiency (particularly the availability of eServices from the government), the diversity, the buzz, and high speed internet (seriously Australia, I can get 1Gbps for $50 in Singapore while here I pay $100 for at best 10Mbps)

Rgds
Coal

[Edited 2015-11-17 13:42:11]
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Gemuser

Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 17):

Being aware of several current threads where what terms mean depends on where you grew up/live, I see the following as the difference:
An expat always INTENDS to return to the home country for good.
An immigrant intends to live permanently in the new country, maybe with only visits home.

My take on the difference

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

777Jet

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:36 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 39):
An immigrant intends to live permanently in the new country, maybe with only visits home.

My take on the difference

Agreed.

That's also my take on the main difference between expats and immigrants.

csturdiv
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 37):
high speed internet (seriously Australia, DSL? WTF?)

I used to b!tch about my slow AT&T Uverse internet (as compared to my friends on Comcast) when I lived in the US. Now that I am in Australia and on the "zippy" ADSL 2+, I now feel bad for all that b!tching.

Right now I am an expat, I have a four year visa and am 1 year and a few months into that. However I am thinking about looking into obtaining permanent resident status, which I guess will make me an immigrant if I do go the route of PR.

texan

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:39 am

Family and friends first.

Good Tex Mex. Viva Mexico in Left Bank Arcade and in Newtown do it pretty well. But when I'm back in Texas, the first stop after leaving the airport is always a Mexican restaurant.

Oh, and Shiner Bock. Not the best beer in the world, but it is a little comfort from home. Sitting in the backyard, grilling dinner, listening to baseball, and drinking a Shiner.

And I wish I had all my books with me out here. But they are heavy and expensive to freight.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Coal

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:37 am

Totally disagree. When I first moved to Singapore my intention was to stay there only one year, then go to Europe for one year, and then permanently return to the US. Almost 10 years on I have no plans to leave APAC.

By your measure, wouldn't South Asian construction workers in Dubai, Filipino maids in Saudi Arabia, or student workers in Australia be expats too?

Let's be clear here. Expats is a term for predominantly white families who live in fancy housing typically with similar "expat" families, on many occasions with a maid, car/driver, schools paid for, etc., with little intention on assimilating into their host country. Hence, if you are an "expat" who does not fall into that classification, I would say you are an (assimilated) immigrant, even if you're only a "temporary" immigrant.

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 41):
I used to b!tch about my slow AT&T Uverse internet (as compared to my friends on Comcast) when I lived in the US. Now that I am in Australia and on the "zippy" ADSL 2+, I now feel bad for all that b!tching.

Seems there was a mix up in the person you quoted, but yes, totally on board with you. I mean, there's the NBN and all, which is a major clusterf... and practically doesn't reach anyone unless you live in a brand new building. But seriously, no cable? DSL? I had much faster internet when I lived in China in 2010 and had to constantly use VPN to access anything.

Can't wait to move back to Singapore. Our apartment there has already been wired for fiber.

Rgds
Coal

[Edited 2015-11-17 20:42:10]
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

777Jet

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:39 am

Quoting texan (Reply 42):
Oh, and Shiner Bock. Not the best beer in the world,

You can say that again!

That's one beer I'd be happy to never try again  

BreninTW

Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:38 am

Apart from my family ...

Quoting seat64k (Reply 30):
Highveld electrical storms
Quoting seat64k (Reply 30):
Meat. Mostly good quality yet very affordable beef. But also regular access to game

Oh man -- you've hit the nail on the head for me with those two (even though I'm not the biggest meat eater on the planet)! I grew up in South Africa, been in Taiwan for 18 years and some.

Recently found a South African couple who sell boerewors and legs of lamb! I was thrilled, even though they live over an hour from me.

I miss having a decent kitchen! I love cooking, but living in a rented apartment with a tiny kitchen ... my range is limited. No oven, no space ... my mom's kitchen was my little heaven when I went home, I could cook and bake to my heart's content.

The fuit! My Taiwanese friends all rave about how sweet and juicy Taiwanese fruit is, but it really pales in comparison to the fruit I used to get in South Africa ... and no fresh apricots here!

And yes, cheese ... although that's improving now the Taiwanese have learned there's more to cheese than "pizza cheese". Pity it is still eye-wateringly expensive.

hh65man

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:17 am

Hum lets see:
Great Mexican Food
Texas style BBQ
Family and friendS
Change of seasons
Cold fronts
But the big one goes to:
FREE ROADS, I can't get over (15 years on) being screwed up the bum to travel anywhere here in Sydney....

JJJ

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:46 am

Expat began as a term of people who were sent abroad by their companies.

So if you went abroad to work for a local company, then you're not an expat.

But yeah lately any skilled, mostly white worker gets the expat label even if the typical Dubai or Singapore Euro or American worker are actually immigrants.

Gemuser

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:54 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 43):
By your measure, wouldn't South Asian construction workers in Dubai, Filipino maids in Saudi Arabia, or student workers in Australia be expats too?

Yes and are so called in Australia.

Quoting Coal (Reply 43):
Let's be clear here. Expats is a term for predominantly white families who live in fancy housing typically with similar "expat" families, on many occasions with a maid, car/driver, schools paid for, etc., with little intention on assimilating into their host country

I REPEAT: "Being aware of several current threads where what terms mean depends on where you grew up/live"

Quoting JJJ (Reply 47):
So if you went abroad to work for a local company, then you're not an expat.

I REPEAT [Again]: "Being aware of several current threads where what terms mean depends on where you grew up/live"

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

seat64k

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:28 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 45):
Oh man -- you've hit the nail on the head for me with those two (even though I'm not the biggest meat eater on the planet)! I grew up in South Africa, been in Taiwan for 18 years and some.

I had some good meat in Taiwan - will let you know if I'm ever there again.