Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WarRI1
Topic Author

Anonymous Threatens Isis With Cyber Attack

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:41 am

http://news.yahoo.com/anonymous-thre...is-with-major-cyber-095356441.html

If I missed this on the forum, I am sorry. I find this interesting. I wonder if they are capable of disrupting, or revealing Isis communications, or secrets? In this case, I support this organization. Not so much before.

[Edited 2015-11-16 20:55:33]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

DocLightning

RE: Anonymous Threatens Isis With Cyber Attack

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:42 am

First of all, anonymous is not an organization. There is no leadership, many members probably don't even know each-other. It is not a club.

ANYONE can be anonymous. All you have to do is call yourself that and be a hacker and boom, you're anonymous.

But one thing's for sure: ISIS wasn't thinking of these virgins.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DLFREEBIRD

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 am

No, they probably not the virgin 's ISIS been dreaming about, hence the Guy Fawkes masks.

[Edited 2015-11-16 22:30:07]

Stealthz

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
First of all, anonymous is not an organization. There is no leadership, many members probably don't even know each-other. It is not a club.

Seems ideal.. they are just like their target!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

einsteinboricua

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:10 pm

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

While Anonymous can be a thorn on governments' side, I wouldn't underestimate their ability to actually bring down ISIS's operations (or significantly disrupt them such that each terrorist cell is cutoff from the main command center).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mbmbos

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Thread starter):
I wonder if they are capable of disrupting, or revealing Isis communications, or secrets?

I suspect they might be able to shut down recruitment sites and reveal who might be behind such efforts.

As for terrorism planning, I doubt they can do much because most if not all of it is done in a low-tech way; no mobile phones, no internet interactions, etc. That is why attempts by governments to spy on its own citizens are so ridiculous. We've changed the rules regarding the privacy of citizens to make us "safer," but it has done no such thing.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

mham001

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting Mbmbos (Reply 5):
As for terrorism planning, I doubt they can do much because most if not all of it is done in a low-tech way; no mobile phones, no internet interactions, etc. That is why attempts by governments to spy on its own citizens are so ridiculous. We've changed the rules regarding the privacy of citizens to make us "safer," but it has done no such thing.

I've been reading quite a bit to the contrary. They have setup quite a communications network and are believed to be using encryption apps as well as various chat methods, one of which is the PS4, where it is simple to connect privately with another game player. As an aside, I listened to some talking head on NBC.com yesterday claim that none of that would "go through your phone network" and thus, un-hackable. What a stupid thing to say, the PS4 runs directly through Sony servers. But it does point to the incredible difficulty in tracking them.

Mir

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
ANYONE can be anonymous. All you have to do is call yourself that and be a hacker and boom, you're anonymous.

And the problem with that is that there's no command and control structure and thus no accountability. And Anonymous has a history of going after problems that we all agree need fixing, but doing so with the delicacy and precision of a sledgehammer, with a fair amount of collateral damage resulting. I'm wary of anything that they get involved in.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 am

so far they have exposed hypocrites such as Ashley Madison info dump and the KKK info dump and they pretty much didn't care about the consequences or collateral damage as someone already pointed out.

I say, let these virgins have a shot at it. I do have concerns but after a plane was brought down and now the Paris attacks. It just makes me wonder what's going to happen next week. So if this group of hackers can expose people who hands are dirty, i say go for it hackers.

DeltaMD90

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:22 am

I don't see them completely crippling the organization (or really any organization) but they are good at finding exploits and dropping a bombshell, occasionally. Them hacking and finding, IDK, a list of addresses or bank accounts, or maybe some footage or evidence of them actually doing horribly is probably the best they can do. Not saying that's bad, but I'm not viewing them as our saviors or anything

And as Doc said, Anonymous can be anyone. Anonymous attacks the Church of Scientology and uncovers a lot of stuff on them... and Anonymous doxxes and blackmails girls on the internet. They're just a collection of ever changing people with ever changing motives

aerorobnz

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:35 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 8):
they pretty much didn't care about the consequences or collateral damage

Cyber collateral damage is better than the damage caused by bombing the shit out of Syria. Personally outing a few closeted perverts or racists is not what I consider collateral damage. I like the fact that it is hard to direct a retaliation squarely at anonymous.

I want them to do it, I want them to cast light on the ongoing financing and development of IS. I want them to dump all the nations who are actively investing in ISUL in the shit. I want there to be protest riots in the cities of these nations and I want them to out as many of their copycat lonewolf individuals across the world so they can be taken out of circulation.

There is no good vs evil in this fight.. . Just various shades and degrees of evil - with ISUL at the deep end of the evil 'pool'. Innocent people die all over the world no matter whether IS executes them, or France bomb Syria back before the stone age or whether Europeans start beating up Muslims on the street in retaliation.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:55 am

Well, after Charlie Hebdo they said they were going after ISIS and they claim to have shut down email accounts and whatnot, but not much so far. I do not put much stock in it.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

Mir

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:39 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 10):
Personally outing a few closeted perverts or racists is not what I consider collateral damage.

Outing a few people as closeted perverts or racists when they're not actually perverts or racists, on the other hand, is definitely collateral damage, and it's not cool at all. That sort of thing can really screw up someone's life.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

WarRI1
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:32 am

I wish them luck in this endeavor, time will tell as usual. Any help is welcome as
Europe and the US. just found out. Of course when the most damage is being done by stupid politicians it is tough and getting tougher.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.