flyingturtle
Topic Author

Movies With Mind-boggling Aviation Content

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:44 pm

As this topic is rather geared towards fun, I refrained from posting in Tech/Ops or Civ Av...

Maybe some of you know "Final Descent", a cheesy flick portraying a Cessna colliding with an airliner, with a resulting damage to the elevator. With the elevator jammed, the plane can only climb until running out of fuel. An Apache helicopter then uses its gun to destroy the elevators, enabling the plane to descend...

Yes, that's the plot of that thoroughly spoiled film, which can't be spoiled anymore by any amount of spoilers.

For the enjoyment (or the detriment) of A.nut's movie faction, I want to ask you to contribute to a list of the most stupid aviation films. 

I would name:
- Final Descent
- Stealth
- Flight Plan (the electronics bay of that plane would seat about 20 people)

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

alberchico

RE: Movies With Mind-boggling Aviation Content

Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:52 pm

This is the granddaddy of bad aviation films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny_JslCCPxk

this one is a close second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V-CBzO_xMo

But at least these 2 films used real aircraft painted in fictional liveries, something that aviation films don't bother with today.

BTW if you love airport 79, there is a diecast concorde with the fictional livery being released.

http://www.diecastairplane.com/store...order-now-for-future-delivery.html

[Edited 2015-11-17 10:53:57]
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:36 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 1):

The bad CGI from the fighter jet scenes just shattered my glasses...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V-CBzO_xMo

Never heard of this one!

David

fallap

Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Die Hard 4.

Bruce Willis riding that F35, like it was a rodeo bull :b
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

garnetpalmetto

Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:08 pm

Oh, but the Iron Eagle films. They deserve their own special place. In the original we have teenagers stealing a pair of F-16Bs which proceed to do combat in unnamed Mediterranean locale that's TOTALLY not Libya to rescue the father of one of the teenagers who was shot down. Louis Gossett, Jr. is along for the ride. Kfirs as MiG-23s...just fun times. Then there's the first sequel which features a joint US-Soviet mission to destroy nukes in an unnamed Middle Eastern locale that's TOTALLY not Iran. The Soviet pilots fly F-4s...err...MiG-29s. Then we have Iron Eagle III wherein World War II era aircraft belonging to a Confederate Air Force-style flying circus get refitted with laser guided missiles to take on a South American village that's been overrun by drug smugglers headed by an ex-Nazi with a prototype Me-263 (really the Scaled Composites ARES).
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

SANAV8R

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:18 pm

Most made for television films involving aviation are awful; both the acting by the cavalcade of Z-list TV stars, the soapy melodrama and the disasters that transpire.

Freefall with Jaclyn Smith and Bruce Boxleitner is one. In the first three mintues they show an A320, use clips from Miracle Landing, have the interior of a widebody and another clip of a four engine prop plane crashing. The film is just a mess.

International Airport with Gil Gerard, Susan Blakely, George Kennedy and Connie Selleca. Kennedy basically must of been Hollywood's go to "disaster film" guy of the 70s and 80s. Selleca redeemed her self in the best made for TV air disaster film "Miracle Landing." Blakely was Robert Wagner's annoying lover in Airport '79. But "International Airport" features an implossible scene where they open the cargo door of a DC-10 over the Pacific to push cargo palettes out.

Other awful ones - "Starflight: the Plane that Couldn't Land" with Lee Majors and "SST: Death Flight" with Robert Reed, Peter Graves, Billy Crystal
You're either gonna love me or hate me. There is no in between with me.

oly720man

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:17 am

I was going to mention Fast and Furious 6 with the An124 and never ending runway, but we've been there before.

Fast And The Furious :Edition (Antonov) (by whiplash May 24 2013 in Civil Aviation)
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

ER757

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:18 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Thread starter):
- Flight Plan (the electronics bay of that plane would seat about 20 people)

really bad movie - from the plot to the aviation-related aspects.

I'd add any of the "Airport" movies except the first one. I walked out of the 2nd (or maybe it was the 3rd) when Helen Reddy (as a nun no less!) started singing. That was more that I could take.

VapourTrails

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:07 am

Pushing Tin (1999), YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA08ratsXcY.

Published on Jul 16, 2014.

"Nick Falzone (John Cusack) is the busiest, and the best, air traffic controller on Long Island - until Russell Bell (Billy Bob Thornton) roars into town like a motorcycle-riding cowboy. Fueled by caffeine and machismo, the two men embark upon an uproarious contest of wit and wills that can ultimately only have one winner."

I liked this, haven't seen it for years. Would like to watch it again.  

photopilot

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:23 am

How about my personal favourite of BAD films..... "Snakes on a Plane" completely stupid.

Also on my list.... Pearl Harbour. Stupid flying sequences with really bad CGI and historically as inaccurate as you could possibly be. Especially when compared to the epic classic and historically accurate Tora, Tora, Tora.

Air Force One... (should be Air Farce One). All that machine gun fire on board and not one stray bullet leading to explosive decompression or a hull rupture.

zippyjet

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:35 am

Movie posters tell a thousand words. Just the title is mind boggeling. See those big propellers and straight fixed wings? And they call this Jet Over The Atlantic? 1950's over the top schmaltz. The stuff of comedic send ups.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

VapourTrails

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:52 am

Airport '79.. is funny and ludicrous! My favourite line is when the lady says '..the bathroom's broken'. Favourite scene is when the keys are being pulled off the guy's saxophone.. still makes me laugh, even if I watch it a dozen times.   

It is one of those movies, where looking at The Concorde in flight.. it is marvelling, but punctuated by such a silly storyline!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwoWbBduxw The Concorde ... Airport '79 Official Trailer #1 - George Kennedy Movie (1979) HD, YouTube, 2012.

Also, the dramatic music of those earlier films, can't beat that though.   

VapourTrails

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:57 am

But at least these 2 films used real aircraft painted in fictional liveries, something that aviation films don't bother with today.

BTW if you love airport 79, there is a diecast concorde with the fictional livery being released.

Is that due to demand, or a commemorative anniversary or such?

EA CO AS

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:18 am

Ordered mine a few weeks ago! I've been looking for a good diecast Concorde with this livery for 30 years and it's finally here!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

threeifbyair

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:46 am

Quoting oly720man (Reply 6):
I was going to mention Fast and Furious 6 with the An124 and never ending runway, but we've been there before

Furious 7 gave us air dropping cars!

Filmed using a C-130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak8YUzo8YFQ

C-17 in the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vR43terJak

Scooter01

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:14 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 10):
Just the title is mind boggeling. See those big propellers and straight fixed wings? And they call this Jet Over The Atlantic? 1950's over the top schmaltz

Not as mind boggeling as you think.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Armstrong

This airline was marketing this aircraft type as the "Rolls Royce 400 Jet prop"
-See the lower part of the horizontal stab...

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

CPH-R

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:38 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 8):
Pushing Tin (1999), YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA08r...sXcY.

Actually a fairly decent film IIRC.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the dreadful Ground Control, starring Kiefer Sutherland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xzkVP8oJV4

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:50 am

I think this is probably safely in the so bad it's good (or at least hard to not watch out of morbid curiosity.

As a courtesy, this link is only the preview, not the whole movie (since I don't hate any of you). But it does sum up the entire movie...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

oly720man

Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:54 am

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 17):
so bad it's good

Nope, still bad.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

777Jet

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 9):
How about my personal favourite of BAD films..... "Snakes on a Plane" completely stupid.

Yes, especially the sex scene in the lav  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

VapourTrails

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 16):

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 8):
Pushing Tin (1999), YouTube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA08r...sXcY.

Actually a fairly decent film IIRC.

Yes, I agree, and I did enjoy watching it and it had a good storyline with a message to it, IIRC too. I did think it was a bit far fetched at times though, - OTT.

The scene were they got tossed through the air from the landing 747.. http://youtu.be/6yfb_usoubg It was a movie which had quite a sensationalist factor IMHO, which made good viewing, but also gave it some    factor.

Maybe I look at this movie differently now I am older.  

CPH-R

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:08 am

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 20):
The scene were they got tossed through the air from the landing 747..

My mind had happily scrubbed all recollections of that scene 

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Quoting VapourTrails (Reply 20):
were they got tossed through the air from the landing 747

OMG. I just had to recollect my mandible from the floor...

David

yowza

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:01 pm

Despite the cool camera work, Les Chevaliers du Ciel has to be in with a shout. It was incredibly stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENxcGlAAVCo

YOWza

zippyjet

Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:42 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 15):

But, from seeing this laughable 50's tour de farce: The plane in the poster and pic looked like a hybrid Stratocruiser/DC6/7 or even the chubby Curtis C46 buty 4 holer.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

kaneporta1

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:26 am

Executive Decision and Die Hard 2 win my vote.

On the other hand, I found "The flight of the Intruder" and the crash sequence in US Marshals to be reasonably realistic, although it has been a long time since I've watched these films.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

Flighty

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:29 am

This is the granddaddy of bad aviation films:

Wow. The opening 10 minutes of that movie actually made me die. I have died now. Thanks  

Max Q

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:39 am

'Airplane'

Enough said..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting kaneporta1 (Reply 25):
the crash sequence in US Marshals to be reasonably realistic

Made me think of the Crash in "Con Air"...

Quoting Max Q (Reply 27):
'Airplane'

Well, it's a comedy to begin with.  I watched this one with great joy, as I watched "Snakes on a Plane" (I'm a biologist, and could point out several other problems...). But if you're supposed to take something earnest, aficionados w ill be annoyed. And there is this "Otto - der Film", a comedy from the German comedian Otto Waalkes. He flies a roll maneuver with a 747, and attempts to land on US aircraft carrier - see the first 17 seconds of the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2nljoRBzQg - something I don't find particularly funny, and thus I'm annoyed despite being a comedy. :-P

Well, the answers in this thread are wonderful. They extend my "Watch it with a keg of beer"-list considerably.   

David

Revelation

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:36 pm

The High And The Mighty (by Revelation Jun 15 2015 in Non Aviation)

Won't say it's "mind-boggling", but it sure looks strange from our modern point of view.

There's an awful lot of "old tech" from the early days of trans-oceanic aviation.

Also, the movie uses a lot of stereotypes for Asians and women that seem to me to be "mind-boggling" by today's standards.

[Edited 2015-11-19 10:40:37]
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

N415XJ

Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Executive Decision

I love Executive Decision! Sure, the transport F-117 mating with the 747 is a little stupid, but overall it's a good dumb 90s action flick that you can enjoy if you turn off your brain a bit. Same with Die Hard 2. Not spectacular and realistic, but good enough to give your brain a breather for an hour and a half. The special effects on both were pretty good, too.

The worst aviation move I've ever seen has to be Passenger 57. The plot was terrible, the cinematography was terrible, the acting was terrible- so terrible that it wasn't even enjoyable as an accidental comedy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOphble2gZg

Osubuckeyes

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Air Force One... (should be Air Farce One). All that machine gun fire on board and not one stray bullet leading to explosive decompression or a hull rupture.

Falls under the Harrison Ford give me back my family category.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTQRWYjwXz0

I definitely have to file that one under the so bad that it is awesome category. I also love how they nail just about every stereotype of air travel passengers on that flight.

vc10

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 15):

This airline was marketing this aircraft type as the "Rolls Royce 400 Jet prop"
-See the lower part of the horizontal stab...

A bit before your aircraft was the Bristol Britannia which was flying the Atlantic for BOAC in 1959 so just in the 50s

The poster picture in plan form looks something like the Brit with the jet exhaust over the top of the straight wing,

No R/Royce hear all Bristol including the jet prop engines

Confuscius

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Marc Dorcel has a bunch of aviation related movies.
Ain't I a stinker?

diverted

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:19 pm

The James Bond movie (skyfall maybe?) with teh 742 with b52 style engine pods (the aircraft at the TG test track)

Whichever one of the final destination movies that had the plane crash.

OceanATC

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:55 am

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 30):
The worst aviation move I've ever seen has to be Passenger 57. The plot was terrible, the cinematography was terrible, the acting was terrible- so terrible that it wasn't even enjoyable as an accidental comedy.

Passenger 57 has some great L1011 scenes. Worth a look just for that.

I always remember there's a scene where they throw a dead hostage out the door and you can see him hit the mattress on the ground in the reflection of the polished lower fuselage. At time 37:38. https://youtu.be/3ZbkBKQ9-EQ?t=2254 Apologies for the Italian dub.

ER757

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:33 am

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 30):

Ah, but it had an L-1011 - it can't be all bad  

ltbewr

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:54 am

The late 1960's movie Bullet at the end of the film they are chasing after a killer flying out of SFO. I just happen to be seeing this movie on TCM when typing it, so why bring it up.
Real Pan Am 707's, a PSA 727 and SFO airport of that era are mind-boggling av content, but it is how there is no security checks, small carry ons, smoking inside the terminal, men is suits and women in dresses. There there is the killer get the door open and bails out to 15 feet below (with cop Steve McQueen chasing after him), the killer apparently having a gun on him on the plane he uses to try to kill McQueen on the runways and later in the terminal, screaming jet engines even on taxing idle. Times have changed.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 34):
The James Bond movie (skyfall maybe?) with teh 742 with b52 style engine pods (the aircraft at the TG test track)

It was just a lame attempt at coming up with a "novel" plane... this plane would fly, but nobody would actually buy it. Fuel tank pods? That's sooo Jetstar!

Creating a good CGI airplane (e.g. a two-story narrowbody) would not have been that difficult - after all, that CGI plane would only stand around, and would not be involved in any action sequence (the egregious "Die Another Day" comes to mind, with its cheesy CGI in the end - it's as comfortable as root canal work).

David

VapourTrails

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:23 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 27):
'Airplane'

Was trying to find the movie 'Flying High' and then realised it was this one! Change title in some countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryV5QV4DpwU Fish for dinner!

WIederling

Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 am

Final Countdown?
Modern Aircraft Carrier is brought back in time to ~before the Pearl Harbor attack.
F14? versus Zero dogfight ensues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyjNInIH4Hw
Murphy is an optimist

L-188

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:19 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 4):
Then we have Iron Eagle III wherein World War II era aircraft belonging to a Confederate Air Force-style flying circus

I think by the time that III came around, they were making fun of the genre. But you have got to love the point where after being told by Chappy to "deploy your foil" Sonny Chiba pulls out a roll of Reynolds Wrap and lets it fly!

On the other hand, I found "The flight of the Intruder" and the crash sequence in US Marshals to be reasonably realistic,

It wasn't a bad film, I was amazed at how skinny Vic Rhames was in it, and he had hair too!

Quoting OceanATC (Reply 35):
Passenger 57 has some great L1011 scenes. Worth a look just for that.

The Sherriff and his deputies at the fair when the L1011 flies over, "That's the biggest dam Cessna I ever saw"

Quoting WIederling (Reply 40):
Final Countdown?
Modern Aircraft Carrier is brought back in time to ~before the Pearl Harbor attack.
F14? versus Zero dogfight ensues.

It is actually not bad for a sci-fi film that doesn't involve spaceflight.

Airport 77 was probably the low point. Jack Lemmon in the 747 on the bottom of the sea telling the passengers, "It's ok the water can't get in because this is a pressurized aircraft"

My nominee is a movie called, "Air Crew" It was produced by the Soviet Mosfilm studios in 1980.

There is about three subplots going on. One involves an Aeroflot captain getting up in there who's daughter gets knocked up. Another involes the devoted captain who's marriage is failing. and then you have the single Flight engineer who is boinking the niece of the captain who is a flight attendant among other women. They all end up on the same rescue mission to rescue a bunch of workers from a refinery that is about to be destroyed by a volcano. The plane with the survivors barely makes it out of there but is critically damaged. So the FE and the Copilot have to bundle up, crawl into the center engine "S" duct on a Tu-154 and staple the skin back on....INFLIGHT!!!

It's a horrible concept!!!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:21 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 41):
Airport 77 was probably the low point. Jack Lemmon in the 747 on the bottom of the sea telling the passengers, "It's ok the water can't get in because this is a pressurized aircraft"

I remember watching this film some 20 years ago. And no, it's not okay, oxygen will run out...

Quoting L-188 (Reply 41):
My nominee is a movie called, "Air Crew" It was produced by the Soviet Mosfilm studios in 1980.

OMG. If it ever runs in a B movie theatre, I'll leave my bucks there...

David

L-188

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:25 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 42):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 41): My nominee is a movie called, "Air Crew" It was produced by the Soviet Mosfilm studios in 1980.
OMG. If it ever runs in a B movie theatre, I'll leave my bucks there...

I found it on Amazon, when I was looking for Russian language movies and just had to buy it. I was taking a Russian course at the time.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.