Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

propilot83
Topic Author

To President Obama

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 am

Salaam, Mr. President Obama. It's your friend Mostafa from California. Listen up! I believe you made a terrible mistake by taking in those so called "Syrian Refugees." You know why, because look what happened in Paris, France. That little criminal rat snuck in with all the other Syrian refugees that included men, women, and children. That ISIS criminal was the needle in the haystack. The FBI Director James Comey warned the Senate Committee very emotionally concerned and sad and felt like he was about to cry. The primary concern of the FBI is to combat Public Corruption! Mr. President I know very well what your up to and what you've done by trying to cover up your own mistakes. First you talk about helping the Syrian Refugees by granting them political asylum, then the shootings in Paris happen and you all say....."God damn it! I knew that this would happen!" Then on your last weekly video address on 11/14/2015 you suddenly shift to the people of Burundi in the central African continent. Thanks for that, learned more geography though   It doesn't work like that Mr. President, don't be so lenient and show too much pity, the Republicans are not like that. That's why I am an Independent registered voter. Yes I do show great concern for my own well being, my community, and the beautiful USA. We Americans don't think like the Europeans or Africans do. Not being prejudice, racially bias or anything like that. Facts, and history has shown how certain individuals are corrupt within themselves, then they join with other groups (people) and then commit crimes against themselves and society. So lets not bomb the mountains, and trees, and blame nature with Allah. You know what I'm talking about. I saw a quick glimpse of you at the G20 summit, you seemed very careless. CLOSE the entire US Continental border and guard your US territories by stationing army units from where the enemy can attack you. Don't worry about the innocent men, women, and children, you don't know what's their real hidden intensions inside, I don't care how poor, injured, or weak they look, only Allah knows the hidden secrets of their breasts, even more that is hidden, He knows their thoughts, true intensions, planning, executing, etc. The government and people cannot read our minds. Not even a profiler truly knows anyone's true intension, unless he/she has a criminal record, etc. Closing, make immigration more tough and rough, I know from experience myself. Peace, and God bless.

Aaron747

RE: To President Obama

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:40 am

Holy smokes, take a Xanax son!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

777Jet

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:51 am

Quoting propilot83 (Thread starter):

Dear Mr President,

Grow a pair!

Regards,

777Jet  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Airstud

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 am

I don't care how poor, injured, or weak they look, only Allah knows the hidden secrets of their breasts

Put Allah in charge of our immigration decisions; now why didn't I think of that...   
Pancakes are delicious.

fr8mech

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:22 am

You know, when the dust and the emotions from the Paris (and the next) terrorist attacks settle out, we will return to what we have always done; accept refugees from, not only Syria, but from all over the world, because that is who we are. It really is that simple.

Oh, we may vet the vetting process a little more. These folks may hang out in limbo a bit longer than they'd, or we'd like, but in the end, we will accept them.

Yes, we should do our damnedest to stop the terrorists at the border, (point of origin would be much better), but we can't turn away the true refugees because there could (will) be terrorists in the mix.

We will deal with them when they raise their ugly heads. I realize that means dead people inside our borders. I realize that means pain and suffering.

Probably not the most popular position right now, but there you have it.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:40 am

I love how it is basically sweeps season for christians between Thanksgiving and Christmas and one after another "christian" politician is lining up to be nastier than the next and as un-christian as humanly possible, in spite of Thanksgiving being a holiday representative of their forefathers fleeing religious persecution to the new world--and then annihilating the locals, and Christmas being about a Middle Eastern family that was turned away by everyone. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so unbelievably nasty and delusional. You can't make this sh!t up.

Facts, and history has shown how certain individuals are corrupt within themselves,

Which ones are those? Americans kill 100-1000x more Americans than terrorists could ever dream of killing.

That little criminal rat snuck in with all the other Syrian refugees that included men, women, and children.

What about the lily white NRA freedom fighters blowing away dozens of people on a regular basis? Refugees are the least of your worries.
I don't take responsibility at all

LittleFokker

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:44 am

I'll take racist petulant whining for $200, Alex.

Funny how the logic of "we can't let any Syrians in because a few might turn out to be terrorists" doesn't carry over with Conservatives when it comes to gun control. Then it's acceptable risk.

In fact, a Texas state representative even pointed out that his own state's lax gun laws would cause problems if any Syrians were to come in and assimilate. Of course, naturally, he didn't think the solution was to toughen the gun laws, but blame the not yet there refugees. Because, Texas logic:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...a-texas-rep-no-syrians-gun-access/
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:47 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 6):
Of course, naturally, he didn't think the solution was to toughen the gun laws, but blame the not yet there refugees.

The stupidity is so insane it needs a new word. Then again that explains Carson/Trump/Cruz/Huckabee/Derp-a-derp all running for GOP candidate.

vikkyvik

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 4):
Yes, we should do our damnedest to stop the terrorists at the border, (point of origin would be much better), but we can't turn away the true refugees because there could (will) be terrorists in the mix.

I pretty much agree with you. If we were to base all national policies on the possible extremists in the mix, well, the US wouldn't be a very fun place to live anymore.

only Allah knows the hidden secrets of their breasts

Hmmm. I'm a little jealous of this Allah character.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

seb146

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 5):
What about the lily white NRA freedom fighters blowing away dozens of people on a regular basis? Refugees are the least of your worries.

So, what happens when legally bought guns end up in the hands of legal citizens who murder immigrants because "better get them before they get us"? Will immigrants still be blamed? Yes, in right wing world, they will.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fr8mech

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:56 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 6):
Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 7):
Quoting seb146 (Reply 9):

You people really have a strange obsession. How did we get from Syrian refugees to gun control?

LittleFokker

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:04 am

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 10):
You people really have a strange obsession. How did we get from Syrian refugees to gun control?

Just trying to point out the lack of consistency of Conservative logic, which is really rooted in racism when you boil it all down.

seb146

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:06 am

How did we get from Syrian refugees to gun control?

Because there is little or no gun control in some states and extremely easy for anyone to buy guns. Like the white men who can not legally buy guns but still get them anyway.

How easy would it be for "refugees" to legally buy guns?

Tell me again how there is no gun problem?

fr8mech

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:17 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 12):
How easy would it be for "refugees" to legally buy guns?

If they are granted permanent residency? Quite easily, because it would not be illegal to buy them.

Again, I fail to see how Syrian refugee crisis = gun-control issue.

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:27 am

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 13):
Again, I fail to see how Syrian refugee crisis = gun-control issue.

The risk of the latter is 1000x that of the former. And if the GOP's response to the latter is, to quote Jeb!, "hey! Stuff happens! There's always a crisis", then the response to the former should be infinitesimal. But the looney tunes world of the GOP, we need to spend trillions, vapor lock the borders, and put the Muslims in camps.

fr8mech

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:31 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 14):

So, you're conflating gun control with the Syrian refugee crisis? What a strange land you live in.

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 11):
Just trying to point out the lack of consistency of Conservative logic, which is really rooted in racism when you boil it all down.

You do realize it's not just Conservatives calling for a halt to admitting Syrian refugees, right?

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...8/3723566/schumer-syrian-refugees/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/t...rcutting-obama-on-syrian-refugees/

In the end, we will allow the refugees in, because that is who we are.

[Edited 2015-11-19 18:32:04]

seb146

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:39 am

Because we can not accept Syrian refugees because they "might" be terrorists, does that mean we can not let white men can not own guns because they open fire in crowded spaces with no regard for life?

Because, by right wing logic, the actions of a couple of idiots is exactly what the entire group wants.

prebennorholm

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:46 am

You know, when the dust and the emotions from the Paris (and the next) terrorist attacks settle out, we will return to what we have always done; accept refugees from, not only Syria, but from all over the world, because that is who we are.

Nah, compared to the rest of the developed world the US of A is pretty much a closed country.

Illegal immigrants are welcome when they do simple labor work at low pay, and don't put costs on society. As long as they just stay illegal, they can't import three generations of extended family, and they are easily sent back home, should they break an arm or otherwise fall ill. And God forbid they bring in their children and demand society to pay for their education.

I'm not arguing that the US system is wrong. I'm only pointing out that since Vietnam and Cuba 40 - 50 years ago the USA has pretty much been closed to "refugees". At least compared to many EU countries, while countries like Australia and Canada more lately have learned from you.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

StarAC17

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:47 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 1):
Holy smokes, take a Xanax son!

Also he needs to look up the meaning of paragraph   .
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:51 am

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 15):
So, you're conflating gun control with the Syrian refugee crisis? What a strange land you live in.

The TX legislator brought it up, but it highlights the stupidity of the argument. You have to be willfully ignorant to ignore one but move planets for the other that kills 1/1000 of victims including Americans in Iraq and Afghanistan. The idea is the definition of insanity: if a refugee gets his hands on a gun it is a super scary imminent threat to all Americans, but once he becomes an American then it's a-o-k.

fr8mech

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:52 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 16):
Because, by right wing logic, the actions of a couple of idiots is exactly what the entire group wants

Isn't that the exact logic you use when there is a mass-shooting?

We must take the guns away from all, because of the very, very, very few?

And please, stop with the white/black bullshit. Blacks spend more time killing blacks than whites do killing blacks or blacks do killing whites.

Look, back to the subject at hand:

I fully expect that some terrorists will make it through. Hell, I expect some of your standard run-of-the-mill criminals will make it through. But, we can't build policy on the what-if's. We will do our best to exclude the bad and react to them when they pop up. Just like we do any other criminal problem.

That doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't be proactive at the border. It just means, that as a free, compassionate people and nation, we will accept the refugees, knowing that some may present a problem.

DeltaMD90

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:03 am

I believe you made a terrible mistake by taking in those so called "Syrian Refugees."

Why don't you write the President of France, the country that was just attacked, and the country that is going to continue to take in many more refugees than our country?

Of course we should take a step back and see if our policies are strong enough. Hopefully we will find that they were strong enough when they were thought up. But to just give up? Greed. Fear mongering.

I'm finding it ironic how some of the most Christian people in this country are so laughably unchristian when it comes to this issue. Luckily, many Christians are speaking out... but on the other hand, we have politicians (most of whom are coming from a certain political party) saying horribly un-American things like let's only let in X religion, let's spy on all mosques, and let's give Muslims special IDs.

2015 has been a crazy year. I used to wonder how so many people could be pro segregation and then the gay marriage case showed me what the 1950s must've looked like. Now I am seeing how Germany must've looked like in the 1930s. This is how it happened! I try to limit my Nazi references but it is warranted in this case!

Luckily, I doubt most of these egregious programs will come into fruition. Just pandering to the ignorant, hateful masses

Longhornmaniac

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:11 am

I'm sure his people will get back in touch with you to go over some of the details of your proposal.

#xenophobia

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Boeing717200

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:23 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 11):

Wow. What an incredibly warped view.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

LittleFokker

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:33 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 23):
Wow. What an incredibly warped view.

Yeah, that's how I feel about Conservative viewpoints. Amazes me that a rational thinking person can go along with them.

AustinAllison

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:44 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 24):
Yeah, that's how I feel about Conservative viewpoints. Amazes me that a rational thinking person can go along with them.

Don't worry. That is exactly how us conservatives feel about you liberals. Nothing new here. The sooner you accept conservativism as the answer, the sooner everything will get better.

WarRI1

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:53 am

Liberal, Conservative and never the twain shall meet these days. I tend to be a bit more conservative on law enforcement matters, obeying the law and Illegal Immigration. When it comes to people, the economy, jobs and taxes, civil rights, religion, abortion, unions, wages, the poor, the middleclass, the deserving wealthy, I have absolutely no understanding, no sympathy for their policies.

I find it abhorrent the difference in living standards here, the special interests, the corporations controlling our government and our elections. What amazes me the most is the underpaid screwed over people who do support Conservative policies because of religious convictions. That I will never understand.

[Edited 2015-11-19 19:57:04]
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

AustinAllison

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:02 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 26):
What amazes me the most is the lower class underpaid screwed over people who do support Conservative policies because of religious convictions. That I will never understand.

Maybe because it makes more sense to them? Some people CAN see through liberal bullshit, you know.

luckyone

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:17 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 8):
If we were to base all national policies on the possible extremists in the mix, well, the US wouldn't be a very fun place to live anymore.

And no less than five Republicans wouldn't have been allowed to run for President.

If for no other reason the issue was injected into the conversation by a Texas state legislator.

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 27):
Maybe because it makes more sense to them? Some people CAN see through liberal bullshit, you know.

Has it dawned you that for anyone to make such a sweeping generalization means only that you're just the other side of an extremely partisan coin, playing into the hands of equally manipulative politicians??

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 21):
2015 has been a crazy year. I used to wonder how so many people could be pro segregation and then the gay marriage case showed me what the 1950s must've looked like. Now I am seeing how Germany must've looked like in the 1930s. This is how it happened! I try to limit my Nazi references but it is warranted in this case!

The Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start The Fire" comes to mind. I agree with you, in that I find references to Nazism to be normally sensationalist, but now one of the chuckleheads running for POTUS has endorsed a Jewish-star style policy.

seb146

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:22 am

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 25):
The sooner you accept conservativism as the answer, the sooner everything will get better.

We have had that for 30 years. It has not done anything except made people afraid.

Let's try something else.

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 20):
Isn't that the exact logic you use when there is a mass-shooting

Actually, no.

When there is a mass shooting, the thing that keeps being said is "enforce laws on the books" and "strengthen mental health awareness." Only a few wackos demand that all guns be banned. But, the right loves to project so, that immediately becomes the rallying cry. "'THEY' want to ban ALL guns!!!" is what you right wingers start in with. Even though the majority simply want gun laws enforced.

Texas has some of the most lax gun laws in the country. IIRC, there was a gun fight. All that was heard from the right was "so?" How is that acceptable? Any one can go to Texas, get a gun, and start shooting. How is that acceptable?

Maybe instead of projecting right wing fears, something can be done to make gun ownership noble again and keep guns out of the hands of crazy people.

WarRI1

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 am

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 27):

A matter of opinion of course. "What amazes me the most" My opinion of those people who are getting screwed over economically by the very people they support because of religion. They support the very people who want to remove the rock of their low paid existence, when they are old and sick, or have no jobs which the corporations have sent to China and everywhere they can. The government programs, SS, Welfare, Obama care, and Medicare to name a few.

luckyone

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:28 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 30):
The government programs, SS, Welfare, Obama care, and Medicare to name a few.

And the veterans they sent to war.

WarRI1

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:39 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 31):
And the veterans they sent to war.

Absolutely, and still they beat the drum with us fighting while others sit by. The sad part is many of those veterans come from the group of which I speak because of no opportunity available to them in their region of the country. More sadly the area of no opportunity is growing because of many of the Conservative Policies along with their corporate buddies.

AustinAllison

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:42 am

Quoting luckyone (Reply 28):
Has it dawned you that for anyone to make such a sweeping generalization means only that you're just the other side of an extremely partisan coin, playing into the hands of equally manipulative politicians??

Maybe that is the point. Liberals make sweeping generalizations about conservatives, so I intend to call out their BS equally.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 29):
We have had that for 30 years. It has not done anything except made people afraid.

Let's try something else.

Actually. The last 25 years should be considered anything but conservative in the American sense. Reagan was the last conservative president. G.H.W. Bush, Clinton, and Bush were all moderate centrists with either slightly leaning left or right views. Obama has proven to be considerably more liberal, and things have not worked that well. Debt at an all time high, and no real solutions to the problems that plague us. Maybe its time for a true conservative shift.

Texas has some of the most lax gun laws in the country. IIRC, there was a gun fight. All that was heard from the right was "so?" How is that acceptable? Any one can go to Texas, get a gun, and start shooting. How is that acceptable?

Maybe instead of projecting right wing fears, something can be done to make gun ownership noble again and keep guns out of the hands of crazy people.

Or maybe try to solve the underlying cause of most gun crime, which has nothing to do with lax gun laws at all. Those that use guns to commit crimes, more times than not, did not acquire the gun legally. Merely owning a gun does not increase the potential to commit a crime. I'm all for keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and crazy, but current gun laws and current ideas do nothing to tackle this issue.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 30):
A matter of opinion of course. "What amazes me the most" My opinion of those people who are getting screwed over economically by the very people they support because of religion. They support the very people who want to remove the rock of their low paid existence, when they are old and sick, or have no jobs which the corporations have sent to China and everywhere they can. The government programs, SS, Welfare, Obama care, and Medicare to name a few.

The people that are getting "screwed over," as you put it, may or may not want things handed to them on a silver platter by the government. Did that ever occur to you? I don't make much money, and I don't take any government assistance. Maybe those that are getting screwed over would rather have less of their paycheck taken out to fund bloated government assistance programs that do nothing to solve underlying problems.

WarRI1

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:53 am

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 33):
The people that are getting "screwed over," as you put it, may or may not want things handed to them on a silver platter by the government. Did that ever occur to you? I don't make much money, and I don't take any government assistance. Maybe those that are getting screwed over would rather have less of their paycheck taken out to fund bloated government assistance programs that do nothing to solve underlying problems.

And that my friend is a good point, you support the government by working, every dime you make is taxed, the government offers a service with those taxes, you are entitled, you do not take them, you are a fool. You may need them someday, and they will be there if the corporate and wealthy interests do not get a chance to strip them away while you continue to pay the same taxes on your hard earned low ages.

That is the very definition of being gullible, and naïve once again. Do you think the corporations, the wealthy, the church will pay your bills, provide your food as a reward for being so noble? You know who will and does, the government, and we had all better hope it stays that way.

luckyone

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:53 am

Maybe those that are getting screwed over would rather have less of their paycheck taken out to fund bloated government assistance programs that do nothing to solve underlying problems

Then you very quickly get into an ideological quagmire, as Republicans (and I mean Republicans, not fiscal conservatives because they are fast becoming religious and far right populists that in practice have little to do with fiscal conservatism) are also the ones who insist that such people pay nothing in taxes. So that argument almost immediately falls apart.

AustinAllison

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:14 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 34):
And that my friend is a good point, you support the government by working, every dime you make is taxed, the government offers a service with those taxes, you are entitled, you do not take them, you are a fool. You may need them someday, and they will be there if the corporate and wealthy interests do not get a chance to strip them away while you continue to pay the same taxes on your hard earned low ages.

That is the very definition of being gullible, and naïve once again. Do you think the corporations, the wealthy, the church will pay your bills, provide your food as a reward for being so noble? You know who will and does, the government, and we had all better hope it stays that way.

I am glad that you have such a wonderful and complete grasp of my gullibility. But perhaps the gullibility is greater in you? I have no problem criticizing stupid governmental assistance programs that do nothing to solve the underlying problems of poverty, but you blindly support the government taking care of and controlling millions of people rather than creating an environment for them to take care of themselves. THAT is the definition of gullible.

Quoting luckyone (Reply 35):
Then you very quickly get into an ideological quagmire, as Republicans (and I mean Republicans, not fiscal conservatives because they are fast becoming religious and far right populists that in practice have little to do with fiscal conservatism) are also the ones who insist that such people pay nothing in taxes. So that argument almost immediately falls apart.

I cannot deny that quagmire, because it frustrates me everyday. That is why I support a flat tax for everyone. No exceptions. No exemptions.

mariner

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:15 am

Listen up! I believe you made a terrible mistake by taking in those so called "Syrian Refugees." You know why, because look what happened in Paris, France. That little criminal rat snuck in with all the other Syrian refugees that included men, women, and children.

If by "that little criminal rat" you mean Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the "ringleader" of the Paris attacks, he was Moroccan by blood, Belgian by birth and citizenship.

So how does that Syrian thing work?

mariner
aeternum nauta

luckyone

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:32 am

Quoting AustinAllison (Reply 36):
That is why I support a flat tax for everyone. No exceptions. No exemptions.

Ask the State of Illinois how well that's working. (Illinois has a flat state income tax). It overwhelmingly favors the people who aren't you, those who make a lot of money--which ironically despite the economic woes Illinois finds itself in might actually be a saving grace with keeping higher-income individuals, but that's a separate topic. At my current income, I pay a lower rate in Illinois than I would in my home state of Georgia, about 2/3 of what I would pay in Georgia coming out of my check. And Georgia is supposed to be one of the tax friendlier states, ironically, but again I'm getting off topic.

Quoting mariner (Reply 37):
If by "that little criminal rat" you mean Abdelhamid Abaaoud, the "ringleader" of the Paris attacks, he was Moroccan by blood, Belgian by birth and citizenship.

And not the son of a refugee.

LAX772LR

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:41 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 7):
The stupidity is so insane it needs a new word.

There *is* one, it's in Norwegian..... "Texas"  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Skydrol

Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:51 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 37):

Someone needs to do a little bit of reading to educate themselves before riding the sarcasm horse...

"The Frenchman born to Algerian parents was a known radical and is believed to have trained with Isil inside Syria last year.

Mostefai made contact with the extremists in Syria" - [Telegraph]

Several European police agencies are aware Syria has been a hotbed for radicalization, and are warning there is a very good chance are mixed in with legitimate migrants at anywhere from 1 to 10 percent.

Stop burying your head in the sand and just call a spade a spade instead of the endless politically correct crap that is destroying civilization.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

mariner

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:06 am

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 40):
"The Frenchman born to Algerian parents was a known radical and is believed to have trained with Isil inside Syria last year.

As he was born in France he had a French passport and didn't need to "sneak in" with the Syrian refugees, which seems to be the thrust of this thread.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34825505

"Paris attacks: Who was Omar Ismail Mostefai?

The 29-year-old French man was born south of Paris."

By blood he was Algerian, and just the fact that he went to Syria doesn't make him Syrian.

mariner

[Edited 2015-11-19 22:12:20]
aeternum nauta

Mir

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:18 am

Probably not the most popular position right now, but there you have it.

It is, however, unquestionably the right position.

And to hear what has been coming out of the Republicans on the matter of late is absolutely infuriating. If I were an ISIS recruiter and I wanted to build up anti-US sentiment, I wouldn't have to say anything. I'd just sit people down in a room and show them videos of Ted Cruz claiming that we can take Christian refugees but not Muslim ones. I'd show videos of Chris Christie saying that he wouldn't even take 5-year old orphans out of security concerns. I'd show them videos of Donald Trump suggesting that we may have to close mosques and make Muslims carry special IDs. I'd show them videos of Ben Carson comparing the refugees to rabid dogs.

Do they not understand that they are doing ISIS' job for them? It was funny back when Trump wanted to build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it, when Carson claimed the pyramids were for grain storage. It's not funny now. This is serious, and the GOP candidates are undermining this country, and are putting more lives (including US lives) at risk by being recruiting tools for ISIS than letting in refugees under the current very stringent vetting process ever would. It's absolutely shameful, and it's an embarrassment to this country.

Actually. The last 25 years should be considered anything but conservative in the American sense. Reagan was the last conservative president. G.H.W. Bush, Clinton, and Bush were all moderate centrists with either slightly leaning left or right views.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

The conservatives of this country elected those people. They did so in the primaries, they did so in the general election. They were conservative enough for you then. If you're not happy with the outcome, then maybe the conservative philosophy, or at least your idealized brand of it, isn't working.

-Mir

[Edited 2015-11-19 23:16:58]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Aesma

Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:28 am

If terrorists sneak into the US I doubt it will be among refugees, rather among economic migrants from the south...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Boeing717200

Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Yeah, that's how I feel about Conservative viewpoints. Amazes me that a rational thinking person can go along with them

Fortunately the reality is not determined by irrational "feelings" or misguided beliefs.

[Edited 2015-11-20 05:30:23]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

MaverickM11

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Quoting luckyone (Reply 35):
fiscal conservatives

I've heard of this but never seen it; is the Loch Ness monster a fiscal conservative republican?

When there is a mass shooting, the thing that keeps being said is "enforce laws on the books" and "strengthen mental health awareness." Only a few wackos demand that all guns be banned. But, the right loves to project so, that immediately becomes the rallying cry. "'THEY' want to ban ALL guns!!!" is what you right wingers start in with. Even though the majority simply want gun laws enforced.

300M guns and tens of thousands of Americans killed annually. Nearly 2B Muslims on earth and the number of Americans killed in the name of Islam per year hovers around zero. Guess which one gets the trillions in spending.

victrola

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:47 pm

Everyone in America has a much higher chance of getting killed in a shootout by some native American nutjobs than they do by some ISIS terrorists. I am sure that at the end of the year, there will have been many more people killed as a result of violence in most major American cities than in Paris. This terrorists coming in with the Syrian refugees is just scare mongering. Is it possible? of course. However I am sure that there are easier ways for terrorists to get in here than go through the 2 year vetting process that is already in place.

Aaron747

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Maybe those that are getting screwed over would rather have less of their paycheck taken out to fund bloated government assistance programs that do nothing to solve underlying problems.

Fair enough, but what have conservatives proposed that has a snowball's chance in hell of 'solving underlying problems'? Privatizing everything under the sun and deregulating the 'too big to fails' have had no better results anywhere than liberals' busing programs or affirmative action. Solving underlying problems is a massive generational undertaking that requires focus, attention, and a healthy dose of the scientific method.

Maybe its time for a true conservative shift.

Screw that - maybe it's time for a critical thinking shift away from the bleating emotional histrionics that define policy discussion today.

[Edited 2015-11-20 07:26:12]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

blueflyer

Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:56 pm

we will return to what we have always done; accept refugees from, not only Syria, but from all over the world, because that is who we are. It really is that simple.

Unfortunately, who we are is a nation where half the population support blocking 10,000 refugees from coming into the US while Hollande declared the day after the attack the 60,000 refugees France had already agreed to accept were still welcome, and very few people took issue.

Hopefully we'll go back soon to being who we claim to be, who we want to be, but it's not just the emotions over Syria that will have to dissipate before we reach that point.

Quoting Mir (Reply 42):
Do they not understand that they are doing ISIS' job for them?

Must. Win. At. All. Costs. This goes for the candidates as well as too many primary voters. Consequences be damned.

seb146

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Quoting victrola (Reply 46):
This terrorists coming in with the Syrian refugees is just scare mongering. Is it possible? of course. However I am sure that there are easier ways for terrorists to get in here than go through the 2 year vetting process that is already in place.

The mastermind of the Paris attack was born in Europe, IIRC. So, why fear Syrian refugees?

As has been said before, with the holidays coming up and so many crowded spaces, I am more fearful of white men gunning down crowded malls than refugees blowing themselves up in a crowded mall because we all know that a white man gunning down a crowded mall is more likely to happen.