Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing717200

RE: San Bernardino, California Mass Shooting

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 299):

Maybe you need better news sources.

Spot the difference - he had a knife and injured two people. In the US he could have legally had multiple AR-15s and hundreds of rounds. And you still can't see the issue? Now who's in denial?

Terror is terror. Why should I have to give up my right because you say so...from across the pond. Such irony as to why we have said such a Right in the first place when discussing the issue with a Brit. Go home man.

[Edited 2015-12-06 06:33:10]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

MaverickM11

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 296):
Unfortunately that turd has lived another day thanks to a taser.

It's so typical that gun loons scream about CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS re guns but when it's someone else losing their rights to due process, innocence until proven guilty, their right to life, those rights go out the window. Shoot 'em! Screw all those rights we were just screaming about. 
Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 298):
The NRA didn't arm them, hell, they probably have no idea what the NRA is. Heck, even you seem to think they are some kind of boogeyman out to get you.

Who facilitated their ability to buy guns? Jesus? Santa? The NRA has ensured that guns are widespread, easily obtainable, and require zero responsibility or ability to use them. They are the reason we are up to our eyeballs in deadly weapons. It's really unfair to compare them to terrorists because terrorists kill a tiny fraction of Americans that the NRA has made possible.
I don't take responsibility at all

DiamondFlyer

Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 293):
These terrorists (if that's what they really were) didn't use AK-47s like the terrorists in Paris and just about every other terrorist attack, despite early reports that they had. They used weapons legally obtainable in the US. Big thumbs-up for the NRA as others have said.

You aren't trying to imply that an AK-47 is illegal in the US are you, because I can assure you that it isn't the case. There are many, many, many AK-47s on the market here, in fact, it's probably the quickest growth market to be in right now.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

TheCommodore

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 300):
Why should I have to give up my right because you say so...from across the pond.

Because we ALL live together in a thing called a society, and sometimes, just sometimes, you have to do whats right for the greater community overall, not just what you want to do !

You Americans should learn from that !

Such irony as to why we have said such a Right in the first place when discussing the issue with a Brit.

Whats ironic about it is you yanks are now so bloody paranoid it might happen again, you all gotta live lie Rambo !

Go home man.

Don't so be bloody rude !

This is a public forum, he's as entitled to his opinion as you are.  
Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 302):
There are many, many, many AK-47s on the market here, in fact, it's probably the quickest growth market to be in right now.

Really, your mate was just telling us all how bad they were as a gun, apparently they "jam" all the time ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

DiamondFlyer

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 303):
Really, your mate was just telling us all how bad they were as a gun, apparently they "jam" all the time ?

No, he was talking about an AR-15, which is what is pictured. I'm talking about an AK-47, which is not pictured, but hey, I wouldn't expect chicken little to actually read anything, only spout off his BS.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Because we ALL live together in a thing called a society, and sometimes, just sometimes, you have to do whats right for the greater community overall, not just what you want to do !

Oh I see. Collectiveness. Greater community. Oh, let's all go hug someone in peace and harmony. Wake up man.

Don't so be bloody rude !

Okay C3PO you stay home too. I'm not so pretentious as to lecture you on your laws. It's truly astonishing how quick people from outside the US are to lecture us on ours. Talk about rude and annoying.

[Edited 2015-12-06 07:19:40]

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Okay, so two of you are in denial. The woman's finatic beliefs were so strong that she left behind a six month old.

I don't know who this woman is...

You can also stop obsessing about guns. It's lame and you've reached broken record status.

Touché. At least my broken record-ness and ignorance doesn't lead to people dying.

It's just a gun. It doesn't have legs, arms and it can't even put bullets in itself. You should be more worried about getting into a car today. Ha heck, just stay inside. Ironically, from where I sit, your position on this is pretty radical. Are you really this afraid of guns? If so, I encourage you to go somewhere and learn how to use one and get comfortable with it in the event you ever need to actually pick one up and use it.

People are flawed. That is a reality. So why do you plan for a utopian system where people are all nice and don't kill people, if that isn't what happens? We've realised this on this side of the pond, and thus measures are taken to prevent so many people from having guns, because sometimes, the collective is more important than the individual. In fact it should always be a case because you are citizens of a country, that you consciously decide to be a citizen of. Oh, your healthcare isn't conducive either.

Why would I be worried about getting into a car? I passed my test, the government is happy with my ability to operate a car, drive on the roads and I'm insured. A vast majority of people who drive do the same. I don't stay inside much either, I've been to many different countries (over 30), and in most of those I haven't had to fear getting shot. I've done quite a lot of exploring because I love exploring, I drove across California, Nevada and popped into Arizona for a day because they are fantastic places to visit. Just because there is a slightly higher chance of (accidental!) death, doesn't mean I should fear it, because I at least know every measure is taken to make it as safe as possible.

Of course I'm somwehat afraid of guns: they kill people. Things that kill are generally to be feared, because in the wrong hands they lead to deaths and suffering. As for when I would actually need to use one: unless I go to war or use them for hunting, I shouldn't ever have to use them, which is why most people in Europe haven't, we're not so paranoid about government/other people/liberals/Hilary/gay mexican muslim bears that we feel the need to be permanently armed (by the way do you stay awake 24/7 with your gun pointed at the front door... just asking). And because we're less paranoid, we don't have anywhere near as many killings.

As a side note, I at least used to be familiar with how guns were used, I did a basic handling test when I was in the Air Training Corps, obviously nothing too taxing and it was just a .22 rifle, but still. I wasn't a terrible shot either.

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 304):
No, he was talking about an AR-15, which is what is pictured. I'm talking about an AK-47, which is not pictured, but hey, I wouldn't expect chicken little to actually read anything, only spout off his BS.

Explaining a gun type to a person who's never picked one up is like explaining the difference between a 737 and an A320 to the once a year traveler. He's trying to play like he knows the difference, but he doesn't. It's pretty funny.

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 306):

People are flawed

Yes they are, but that doesn't mean we stop selling cigarettes or booze it's bad for you. Nor do we stop selling cars because some people are crap drivers.

TheCommodore

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 305):
Okay C3PO you stay home too. I'm not so pretentious as to lecture you on your laws

WTF... ?

You yanks "lecture" people/countries ALL the bloody time, have some of it right back at you !

So, don't talk to me about being "pretentious".. You would know what it means if it bit you on the bottom.

Oh I see. Collectiveness. Greater community. Oh, let's all go hug someone in peace and harmony.

You'd be much better of for it.

It's truly astonishing how quick people from outside the US are to lecture us on ours.

Don't like taking your own medicine, then don't dish it out to start with !

Talk about rude and annoying.

What goes around come around. Remember that.

[Edited 2015-12-06 07:43:47]
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 309):

WTF... ?

You yanks "lecture" people/countries ALL the bloody time, have some of it right back at you !

I don't lecture anybody. Apparently you didn't get the C3PO joke either.

You'd be much better of for it.

Yes, if we all lived in some fantasyland where everyone got along we'd be better for it, but that's not reality.

Don't like taking your own medicine, then don't dish it out to start with !

I don't recall dishing out anything. I think you simply like broad strokes of the brush. One person gets you bent and it suddenly applies to everyone. Rather irrational.

What goes around come around. Remember that.

Mine it so totally bigger!

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:58 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 308):
Yes they are, but that doesn't mean we stop selling cigarettes or booze it's bad for you. Nor do we stop selling cars because some people are crap drivers.

People choose to do those things. However the 10,000 figure are people that didn't choose to get shot. Big difference. And there are measures in place to discourage people from drinking and smoking excessively. And the selling cars point is moot: you use a car for work and leisure (mostly). What do you use a gun for? Hunting? Understandable, but not really a requirement in a big city. Protection? Against animals I can understand, but if people don't have guns then largely irrelevant in big cities again. The people that need guns can have them: that is the case here as well. But there are plenty of people who don't need them, and plenty who definitely don't and kill with them. So why do you object so fervently to taking guns away from people that don't need them?

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 311):
People choose to do those things. However the 10,000 figure are people that didn't choose to get shot. Big difference. And there are measures in place to discourage people from drinking and smoking excessively. And the selling cars point is moot: you use a car for work and leisure (mostly). What do you use a gun for? Hunting? Understandable, but not really a requirement in a big city. Protection? Against animals I can understand, but if people don't have guns then largely irrelevant in big cities again. The people that need guns can have them: that is the case here as well. But there are plenty of people who don't need them, and plenty who definitely don't and kill with them. So why do you object so fervently to taking guns away from people that don't need them?

I don't live in a big city sparky. There's plenty of non human shit out here that can get you killed. Why should I be punished because a bunch of city dwelling nut bags can't control themselves?

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:34 pm

So now we know who purchased the AR15s. He checked himself into a psych ward:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-Bernardino-killed-14-people.html

So glad I don't live in California. That place is just a mess.

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 312):
I don't live in a big city sparky. There's plenty of non human shit out here that can get you killed. Why should I be punished because a bunch of city dwelling nut bags can't control themselves?

Then fine, you should be able to keep your guns. I don't think you comprehend that we're advocating regulation, not banning. If you prove that you're not a nutjob (might be hard), and you're going to take proper care of your guns then I have no complaints. But clearly, there are some people that should be punished by having their guns taken away because they can't prove they need it, or are going to use it for killing.

Although if you think about it, that is how laws can work: they sometimes punish the innocent majority. Airport security is an inconvenience to us all, but most people aren't terrorists.

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:55 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 314):

Although if you think about it, that is how laws can work: they sometimes punish the innocent majority. Airport security is an inconvenience to us all, but most people aren't terrorists.

Pre check. Problem solved. I don't mind a gun user license, but I do mind the government telling me what I can and can't purchase.

[Edited 2015-12-06 09:03:00]

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 315):
Pre check. Problem solved. I don't mind a gun user license, but I do mind the government telling me what I can and can't purchase.

The government already tells you what you can and can't purchase, because things that aren't allowed to be purchased are not available to you. Do you mind that the government doesn't allow you to do things that some European countries allow you to do, like get abortions? The thing is, if you're not a nutjob, then there's no problem. But you probably aren't, so no problem.

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 316):

Quite frankly I don't give a shit what Europe does or doesn't do. I really don't. That's your business. Maybe there is a life lesson there for you? I get it man. You're young, impressionable and want the world to be a better place. It's naive, but noble. The reality is the world is a pretty shitty and violent place and when you get outside the bubble you'll see it for what it is and be better for it.

[Edited 2015-12-06 09:24:26]

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 317):

Quite frankly I don't give a shit what Europe does or doesn't do. I really don't. That's your business. Maybe there is a life lesson there for you?

But do you mind that the government tells you want you can and can't do, I mean the Constitution tells you want you can and can't do, why do you only care about this when it comes to guns, but you happily do everything else the government tells you to?

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:28 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 318):
But do you mind that the government tells you want you can and can't do, I mean the Constitution tells you want you can and can't do, why do you only care about this when it comes to guns, but you happily do everything else the government tells you to?

There is so little government interference in my life, you really have no idea. None at all.

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 319):

There is so little government interference in my life, you really have no idea. None at all.

Fair enough then. But little doesn't mean none. And just because they don't interfere with your, it doesn't mean they don't or shouldn't interfere in others' lives. And some people need it. Especially when it comes to guns.

Boeing717200

Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 320):
Fair enough then. But little doesn't mean none. And just because they don't interfere with your, it doesn't mean they don't or shouldn't interfere in others' lives. And some people need it. Especially when it comes to guns.

Because the government has done such a swell job with everything else they touch right?

If someone is so weak that you need government to provide balance in your life then you need more help than any government can ever provide.

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 321):

Because the government has done such a swell job with everything else they touch right?

I'd say it's about as good a job as the population has done!

If someone is so weak that you need government to provide balance in your life then you need more help than any government can ever provide.

With no government and no law I suspect your life wouldn't be comfortable. For a start you might still be ruled by those nasty British!

WIederling

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:12 pm

Are gun death ( per 100k or whatever ) today lower or higher in the US
than in those purportedly "Wild Wild West" times?

Same question for homicide in general.
Murphy is an optimist

scbriml

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Maybe you need better news sources.

So now you've gone from "Nobody said that" to CNN not being a good enough source for you? Why can't you just admit you were wrong?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mham001

Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 279):
How does "if you exclude blacks, suicides, the mentally ill, and pretty much all other gun uses then we're pretty much right on par with Europe" make any sense? And why is that ok?

I raised the point because we have problems that the critics here from Europe do not have and do not understand. Take away our inner city gang deaths and the stats are just about in line with theirs. Period. it is a fact, ...jack.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 286):
The fact remains that way too many blacks are murdered and way too many whites commit suicide because of guns.

Suicides in the US are on par with other developed countries, guns or no guns.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 293):
Exactly! Thank you for making my point. It took a while.

These terrorists (if that's what they really were) didn't use AK-47s like the terrorists in Paris and just about every other terrorist attack, despite early reports that they had. They used weapons legally obtainable in the US. Big thumbs-up for the NRA as others have said.

It is not clear what you are blabbering about. AK 47's are legal here too,. Maybe it is just more gun ignorance on your part, most any semi-automatic rifle is legal. I know the words "semi-auto" send shivers down the back of a good gun-control obsessive but most every gun made is a "semi-automatic".

WTF... ?

i don't see that here. Can you point to any threads on the front page where Americans are lecturing you on your laws? I'b bet I can find 3 or 4 lecturing US. Often started by you.

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 314):
I don't think you comprehend that we're advocating regulation, not banning.

I don't think you comprehend that nobody in this country cares what you are advocating.

So how you doing on the alcohol problem in your own country? You know, the one that kills more people per capita every year than all the guns (and more) in America?

Quoting scbriml (Reply 324):
So now you've gone from "Nobody said that" to CNN not being a good enough source for you? Why can't you just admit you were wrong?

Exactly what is your point? That CNN was not accurate? That's BIG news there, huh? ANd what part of 'AK-47 style' confused you?

[Edited 2015-12-06 10:42:56]

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 325):
I don't think you comprehend that nobody in this country cares what you are advocating.

If you don't care about people dying, your problem, not mine. Very preventable deaths. And 'nobody' is clearly wrong because some of the people that agree with me are American.

So how you doing on the alcohol problem in your own country? You know, the one that kills more people per capita every year than all the guns (and more) in America?

Since I rarely drink, absolutely fine.

But what's the comparison? People choose to drink. People choose to shoot themselves, but plenty of them don't. I don't think the Sandy Hook victims chose to get shot. And drinking does have a few benefits: guns don't really.

And also, can you defend your argument with something other than: 'YEAH WELL LOOK AT THIS, THIS KILLS PEOPLE AS WELL!, SO... YEAH!'. Yes alcohol kills people in the UK. But in the USA, you can be killed by alcohol AND guns.

[Edited 2015-12-06 11:24:53]

JJJ

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Take away our inner city gang deaths and the stats are just about in line with theirs. Period. it is a fact, ...jack.

Again.

Take away our own gang figures and there's that difference again.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:49 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 327):
Quoting mham001 (Reply 325):Take away our inner city gang deaths and the stats are just about in line with theirs. Period. it is a fact, ...jack.
Again.

Take away our own gang figures and there's that difference again.

Wait - your gangs have firearms? How is this possible? They're ILLEGAL, remember?   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

MrHMSH

Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 328):

Wait - your gangs have firearms? How is this possible? They're ILLEGAL, remember?

People find ways to do illegal things, it tends not to stop the most determined ones.

Anyway, there is a trade of arms in European countries, not as big, not as worrisome, but still.
But the thing is: they're far fewer in number, so we get a lot fewer shootings. That's what you should be aiming to do by regulating guns. Getting the number of homicides down to 5,000 would be a start.

The other thing you imply is that because people do tings illegally, we shouldn't bother making them illegal. This is stupid, unless you're about to tell me that we shouldn't bother making murder, theft, rape etc. illegal, then you don't really have a leg to stand on.

MaverickM11

Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:02 pm

we have problems that the critics here from Europe do not have and do not understand.

That's totally false. Even Fox News would acknowledge that is false, as they've made great hay of the banlieues in Paris full of 'Sharia governed no go zones'

Suicides in the US are on par with other developed countries, guns or no guns.

They'd be lower with fewer guns. Period.
I don't take responsibility at all

TheCommodore

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:11 pm

i don't see that here.

You don't see the US (its people and its Government) lecturing/influencing/coercing, and ultimately overthrowing Governments which don't suit there agenda ?

Often started by you

Not at all, just highlighting whats obvious.

Why aren't you concerned what others think about you and your country.The world is a very small place these days, News coverage from daily shootings in the US makes for terribly boring viewing when its reported endlessly, over and over.

You want to keep your guns and your endless mass shootings. then keep it in your own country and stop polluting the airwaves with your daily murders.

I can assure you, the rest of the civilised world is sick of it !

Oh thats right, you don't care. How American of you. I forgot, the world revolves around the US.

Want to talk about Alcohol.

Start another thread and stop deflecting the argument/discussion. Stay on topic is the rule.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

You have no concept as to role of Government in day to day lives...

Heres a fews examples for you

Who looks after the in firmed and handicapped ?

Who looks after the mentally ill. (most civilised Governments except your own by whats been evidenced here in the thread)

Who educates school kids ?

Who provides services for the elderly and sick ?

How cleans the streets ?

There, is that balance for you !

There is so little government interference in my life, you really have no idea. None at all

Are you a comedian ?

Boeing717200

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:10 am

At least Obama finally pulled his head out of the sand and called it terrorism. No kidding.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 331):
Are you a comedian ?

Your knowledge of life in America is clearly about zero.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 324):

CNN. LOL.

[Edited 2015-12-06 21:19:29]

MrHMSH

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:05 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 332):

A bit like your respect for human life then?

DIRECTFLT

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:32 am

What the elder Syed said to Syed (Jr.):

"I kept telling him always: stay calm, be patient, in two years Israel will no longer exist, geopolitics is changing: Russia, China, America too, nobody wants the Jews there."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-ISIS-wanted-eliminate-Israel.html

Maybe that should be the litmus test, of being on the FBI Terror watchlist, that is, if you think Israel does not have the right to exist...
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

zckls04

Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:51 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 186):
The only reason people don't own guns is. because of fear of the gun itself.

No- I've shot a ton of guns and never wished or needed to own one. I have no fear of the physical object; only of the idiot wielding it.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 226):
But taking the approach you're both advocating, it appears you believe that there comes a time where you can or should re-examine rights and revoke or curtail them.

Naturally. Although you choose only to view the glass half-empty. You should have said "revoke, curtail, create or expand". Change is sometimes necessary after hundreds of years, and it need not always be a negative thing.

Quote:
If that were the case though, where does that slippery slope end?

Always a poor argument. It ends when we want it to. I heard the same thing with gay marriage- "next thing we'll be allowing people to marry tables!".

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 226):
So why isn't someone getting stabbed a knife problem, then?

Reducing the number of knives in society is almost impossible, because we need knives to cut things. We don't need guns for the most part.

Unless you're a cave-dwelling hermit that's highly unlikely.

CNN. LOL.

Sounds like we're ready for a threadlock.
Four Granavox Turbines!

MD11Engineer

Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:24 am

You people are missing one point: Even in countries, where guns are heavily restricted, people with an agenda, like convinced terrorists on a mission, or serious criminals, will still be able to get guns. Nort as easy, but they'll get them as a black market commodity.
Germany has strict gun laws, but there exists a busy black market for illegal ones (mostly smuggled in via the Balkans). Same in France and the UK.
Ok, the average druggie street criminal or burglar is not likely to have one and the number of crimes of passion (example: the cuckolded jealous husband shooting his wife) will be less, but among serious, professional criminals a military grade weapon is almost a status symbol, because of the extra risk he takes owning one.
But I have heard that in Germany it is almost easier and cheaper to get an illegal gun than to go through all the paperwork for a legal one.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

scbriml

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:28 am

CNN. LOL.

Still can't admit it, can you?   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

WIederling

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:31 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 336):
But I have heard that in Germany it is almost easier and cheaper to get an illegal gun than to go through all the paperwork for a legal one.

Still we don't shoot each other with illegal guns either.
And police do not shoot citizens from being unable to cope with their fears.
( Actually I think all the over the top gunmisuse is angst driven.)

Just like in the UK people shot by police are in the single digit numbers domain.

If fire codes were on a similar level of carefulness that gun handling appears to be on
all American towns would long have been burned down.

Actually I don't mind Americans shooting _each other_ .
I absolute hate that they find it necessary to export their undiciplined
and unthinking "shoot first" culture to the rest of the world.
Murphy is an optimist

TheCommodore

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:34 am

My knowledge of America and Americans, is just fine thanks, basically, my knowledge, is why I try and stay away from the place, should tell you wonders !

As a friend of mine said when last in NY, he entered a "take away" coffee shop to order a coffee. He asked for a "takeaway" cappuccino... The waitress looked at him with a bewildered look, and had absolutely no idea as to what he wanted, until someone said.... Oh, you mean coffee to go !

Now who the hell can't comprehend what "takeaway" is....in a coffee shop ?   

And I an trying to argue with an American about gun control ?

Bugger that, go shoot yourselves for all I care !

[Edited 2015-12-07 01:35:29]

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:17 am

Oh yes they did:

He also forgets his own post on the AK-47

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 21):
It's being reported 3 suspects with AK-47s in bullet proof vests and masks. Shot up the place and drove away. This isn't some random shooting. This place was targeted.
Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 302):
You aren't trying to imply that an AK-47 is illegal in the US are you, because I can assure you that it isn't the case. There are many, many, many AK-47s on the market here, in fact, it's probably the quickest growth market to be in right now.

The real question is why does a private citizen need a semi automative military style weapon, be it an AK-47, AR15 or anything else oif the type? They don't make good hunting weapons, accuracey isn't that great, a half decent bolt action rifle will give you a much more accurate weapon with far greater range for hunting.

I know the words "semi-auto" send shivers down the back of a good gun-control obsessive but most every gun made is a "semi-automatic".

Again why do ordinary citizens need these kinds of weapons, for home defence a handgun is more than enough, they really have no practical use.

sfbdude

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:02 am

Quoting DIRECTFLT (Reply 334):
Maybe that should be the litmus test, of being on the FBI Terror watchlist, that is, if you think Israel does not have the right to exist...

I don't support any kind of terrorist country, including the jewish state of israel.

Boeing717200

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 337):

Still can't admit it, can you?   

Did you read the article...you should. And yeah. CNN...LOL. Even then, that's not what ignorant CNN even said.

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 340):

He also forgets his own post on the AK-47

Based on radio info before any details were actually known. Big difference between that and known information reporting. Nice try though. What you should know is he, after a couple of days of reporting, ignorantly posted a picture of an AR-15 calling them AK-47s.

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 339):
Now who the hell can't comprehend what "takeaway" is....in a coffee shop ?   

It's "take-out".

This reminds me a story one of my profs told about visiting another country. They were looking for a place to eat in a small town in France. Everyone had closed up for lunch and her friend yelled out in the middle of a plaza, what the hell is with these f***ing foreigners that their restaraunts aren't open for lunch. To which the prof replied, you're the f***ing foreigner. It's amazing the little things that stick with you over time. Anyway, the moral of the story is don't b the f***ing foreigner and assume the world revolves around you.

[Edited 2015-12-07 05:44:54]

WIederling

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 342):
ignorantly posted a picture of an AR-15 calling them AK-47s.

wide range of type variations.. but

Assault rifles. Where is the _relevant_ difference? ( beyond being originally chambered differently )

Or are you in some way "differently dead" when shot by a commie gun
than when killed by a "obviously vastly superior" American product.
Murphy is an optimist

Boeing717200

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:41 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 343):
Or are you in some way "differently dead" when shot by a commie gun
than when killed by a "obviously vastly superior" American product.

AR15s and AK-47s are both shit. The vastly superior product is actually German.

Kiwirob

Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 344):
AR15s and AK-47s are both shit. The vastly superior product is actually German.

But the question still stands why own one anyway, they are poor rifles for hunting, accuracy over distance isn't that great, so what is the point in owning one for private citizens? Just because you can isn't a valid answer.

WIederling

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 344):
The vastly superior product is actually German.

Hurr!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G36#Overheating

Man, do our politicks have their panties in a twist on that.
Though my guess is Lying Uschi just wants to enable some friend or other to wet his beak.(Lockheed affair cough, cough)

[Edited 2015-12-07 07:13:53]
Murphy is an optimist

Boeing717200

Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 345):
But the question still stands why own one anyway, they are poor rifles for hunting, accuracy over distance isn't that great, so what is the point in owning one for private citizens? Just because you can isn't a valid answer.

What are you trying to pick off? A gopher at 2 miles?

zckls04

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 339):
As a friend of mine said when last in NY, he entered a "take away" coffee shop to order a coffee. He asked for a "takeaway" cappuccino... The waitress looked at him with a bewildered look, and had absolutely no idea as to what he wanted, until someone said.... Oh, you mean coffee to go !

Actually she probably didn't understand the words he said.

Everybody in the world is very familiar with the American accent from movies and TV, so it's trivial for your friend to understand people talking in the USA. Almost nobody in the USA has experienced any Australian movies or TV, so don't assume they could understand the words coming out of his mouth.

As usual you're projecting your narrow experience onto the rest of the world.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Acheron

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 345):

In case the cashier gets their supersized order wrong, obviously...

And I guess when you are so overweight you can't see your own dick, an assault rifle is the next best thing