Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rfields5421

RE: Cruz Calls For Carpet Bombing Of Isis

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 49):
Now that we have someone who was born in a foreign country we hear nothing.

I've heard a lot about it.

Part of the big meeting between Trump and Cruz was over Trump's assertion that Cruz was not eligible to be President because he was born in a foreign country.

Cruz also discovered just a couple years ago that he was entitled to apply for Canadian citizenship. Something he was not aware of being eligible. Though the Dallas Morning News printed the first major story about Cruz's citizenship status, He had been previously challenged by ultra-conservative Republicans on his eligibility for the Senate seat because he was a 'citizen of a foreign country'. Cruz completed the process of formally renouncing any claims/ rights to Canadian citizenship in 2014.

But you are right, it shows the brither arguments are a false issue.

In 2008, John McCain was born in a foreign country. He never released his original birth certificate. At the time of his birth, US bases in Panama were not US territory. In 1937, Congress retroactively conferred citizenship to any persons born in Panama with one US citizen parent. Many questioned McCain's eligibility.

Contrary to statements by many people, including several posts on these forums - there has never been any special eligibility for citizenship for children of US military members stationed outside the borders of the US. Those children fall under the same laws as children of other US citizens abroad at the birth of their child.

My children were born in a USAF Hospital in the Philippines. At that time, the SOFA defined Clark Air Base and the Naval Base at Subic as US territory. Civilians who committed crimes on the base were sent to the US and tried in US federal courts. The Philippine police had no jurisdiction on the bases.

Yet both have birth certificates issued by the City of Angeles in Pampanga Province - not US birth certificates.

They also have the "Report of the Birth of a US Citizen Abroad" issued by the US Embassy in Manila a few days after their births. Their US citizen passports were issued about a month after their birth.

When we returned to the US, I also got both of the "Certificates of Citizenship" from INS. It is similar to a Naturalization Certificate but states the person (my child) is a "US citizen by birth"

Since Ted Cruz was born less than four years before my son - I assume his mother (Cruz's father did not obtain US citizenship until 2005) obtained the same documentation for his birth which I did for my kids.

Birth controversies and eligibility for President is not something new with President Obama.

Chester A Arthur was alleged to have been born in Canada. His mother was a US citizen who met and married his father while living in Canada. They moved back to Vermont, but near the time of Chester's birth, his father was working two jobs, crossing the border ever week.

Charles Evan Hughes (defeated by Woodrow Wilson in 1916) was born in the US to non-naturalized British citizens, and retained a right to apply for UK citizenship. It was argued that he was 'native born' not 'natural born'.

Barry Goldwater was not born in a state of the US. He was born in Phoenix three years before Arizona became a state.

George Romney, Mitt Romney's father, ran for President in 1968. There was not doubt he was born in Mexico, to US citizen parents, and never came to the US until his parents moved back in 1912 - when he was 5 years old.
Not all who wander are lost.

LMP737

Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 50):
I've heard a lot about it.

Part of the big meeting between Trump and Cruz was over Trump's assertion that Cruz was not eligible to be President because he was born in a foreign country.

Where exactly? The nether regions of the internet?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

rfields5421

Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:52 pm

The Texas news media have talked about his citizenship issue, and about Trump and some other candidates asserting that he was not eligible.

But I've been watching Cruz closely for years. I find a lot of stories about him which never get repeated outside the local market where the story originates.

Also, I'm pretty sensitive to the birth overseas of a US citizen issue, having had to deal with schools, local police and employers when they tried to say my kids were not US citizens. Amazing how many people don't know that children born in another country to US citizen parents are just as much US citizens and have all the same rights as someone born in Texas.

However; you are correct in your base premises. National organizations which challenged Obama's natural born citizen status ignore the citizenship status of their favorite candidates.

They did so in 2008, and they are doing so again.

LMP737

Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 52):
The Texas news media have talked about his citizenship issue, and about Trump and some other candidates asserting that he was not eligible.

But I've been watching Cruz closely for years. I find a lot of stories about him which never get repeated outside the local market where the story originates.

In other words small media markets and the nether regions of the internet. No where close to the level of lunacy that the Obama birth certificate idiocy reached. And we all know why that is.

LMP737

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:28 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 54):
Oh look, the racists are out tonight. You do know he is not "white" right? Not that I give two wits about the man but you racists are getting tiring.

How is he pointing out that since Cruz is a Christian, white and male his place of birth does not seem to be an issue make seb and scbriml racists?

rfields5421

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:10 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 55):
Cruz is a Christian, white and male

Uh,

Cruz is a Christian, CUBAN male. He's never claimed to be Caucasian, though he is often referred to as Hispanic.

(He is as much Cuban as Obama is black. i.e. 50%).

seb146

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:04 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 54):
Not that I give two wits about the man but you racists are getting tiring.

People have been saying that about Obama (I'm not racist but....) so why is it so bad now? Why can't Cruz be called out for the same things Obama has been called out for that have been disproven thousands of times? I know Rafael Cruz is a Cuban-Canadian. But, he is a white looking Republican man. For many in the party, that's good enough! How is that racist? Why has it been okay to call Obama a Black Muslim who is forcing Sharia law on us?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:11 am

Quoting Adipasquale (Reply 30):
He may come off that way because he is trying to appeal to a bunch of hicks who would not support him if they knew he was really an Ivy League elite.

Well, that, and that he's really a Hispanic Canadian named Rafael, not a White Texan named Ted.  
Quoting ER757 (Reply 35):
I can't understand why anyone takes him seriously now

Because, as mentioned above, he offers overly-simplistic solutions to complex problems, and that appeals to a whole bunch of scared dimwitted people.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 41):
So how can he be eligible for the presidency?

The Constitution only makes a requirement for "natural born" citizenship, meaning obtained by birth.

There are two ways to do that:
Be born to a USA citizen, or be born in the USA.

Neither the Constitution nor Supreme Court has ever specified either one as having more weight than the other.

Cruz's mother was an American citizen at the time of his birth, which clears him to run. Pretty straightforward.

.....on a side note:
So was Obama's mother, which reveals the "He was born in Kenya!" claims for the race-based assholery that it was--- even if he had been, he still would've been eligible to run anyway, based on her status.

The silence by those same people (on the issue of Cruz) is deafening.

[Edited 2015-12-13 23:12:20]
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

OA412

Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:23 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
Quoting victrola (Thread starter):
Asked what he would specifically target he responded "ISIS".

There's the first clue that he hasn't got one. A clue, that is.

I forced myself to listen to that interview as well. It was unbelievably painful.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 2):
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 1):
Which shows you just how much he and many of his colleagues value life.

These would be 'brown lives', living in a country far, far away. They don't count.

Exactly! Who cares as long as it's the blacks and the browns being killed. Besides, unlike whites who are innocent civilians, they're generally just collateral damage.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 3):
Morons all. And I'll bet that none of them had any military training, not even to speak of combat experience, ever.

Of course not. As another user pointed out, neither do any of the democratic candidates and neither does our current president. Nevertheless, they've been willing to use that lack of knowledge responsibly, unlike Cruz and Trump.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 4):
What Cruz is doing is a cold, calculated political move. He knows that he has to play to the base of the GOP. Which he seems to believe is a bunch of reactionary idiots. And he wouldn't be that far off base with that belief.

That's exactly it. Everything the man does is cold and calculated. That's how he operates.

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
Actually, Cruz basically already did that. Which only adds to the evidence of him knowing nothing about how nuclear weapons work. It's scary, really.

It is scary. What's even scarier is that he's currently polling second behind Trump. I think it was Aaron who said he doesn't really want the job, is doing it for the attention, and will drop out before the nomination. I tend to agree. However, in Cruz we have a nutjob who actually has a shot at the nomination, and even more alarming, going all the way.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 8):
Maybe we should bring back the draft. Make it highly selective though. Your parents have to be an elected official in order to get drafted.
Quoting bhill (Reply 10):
We DO need the draft...for ALL eligble persons...no waivers if A1...PERIOD. Then perhaps the fucking warhawk idiots will stop spending someone ELSE'S blood....like their own kins.....

It won't happen, but I do wish we could bring it back, for men and women, while implementing a no waiver system. That would finally shut these chicken hawks up.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 15):
Typical pro life evangelical, calling for the extermination of gays and the total annihilation of a country or two. Just like Jesus would do!

It's funny how each of them came into possession of a bible missing the Sermon on the Mount. 
Quoting victrola (Reply 16):
Is he aware that unborn babies would be killed in such a carpet bombing? Or does he have a way to prevent this?

He'll send his thoughts and prayers...

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 17):

Quoting N867DA (Reply 20):
Cruz is special though. Even the Republicans don't like working with him.

That appears to be the general consensus. In fact, I've yet to come across anything that suggests anyone's particularly liked working with him going back to his undergrad days at Princeton. Everything I've read says he's prickly, unyielding, immensely calculating, and unable to turn off his debate persona.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 24):
That is Cruz's basic problem. He doesn't understand about 90% of what he talks about.

I'm not sure about that. I think he understands more than he lets on, but he just doesn't care. His aim is to win, and if it means pandering to the lowest common denominator will get him there, he'll do it.

Quoting Adipasquale (Reply 30):
He may come off that way because he is trying to appeal to a bunch of hicks who would not support him if they knew he was really an Ivy League elite.

And if the stories are to be believed, he's one hell of an elitist. When he was at Harvard Law, he reportedly refused to study with anyone from a "lesser Ivy," i.e. Penn, Dartmouth and such.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 32):
He is very smart but I also think he's a sociopath 100% incapable of empathy, and I guarantee he would be cutting off heads and setting people on fire if that got him ahead.

I think that's probably correct. He seems willing to say anything (and he'd do anything were it not for the legal ramifications) to get ahead, regardless of the consequences.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 48):
I'm not a psychiatrist, but he is totally Patrick Bateman if Patrick were fugly as a sack of rotten potatoes.

Boy is he fugly!

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 49):
Now that we have someone who was born in a foreign country we hear nothing. Which tells anyone with half a brain what the birther stuff was really all about.

It's rather funny, though I can't say I'm shocked. I certainly hear about him being born in Canada, but it's not brought up in the context of disqualification for the presidency. I hear it brought up as biographical data, not much else.

What's also funny, though not shocking, is the silence over his relative lack of experience. Where are all those on the right who in 2008 were screaming about Obama being a first-term senator with little national political experience? I see many of those same people on my Facebook feed proclaiming Ted Cruz this country's "next President."

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 57):
Well, that, and that he's really a Hispanic Canadian named Rafael, not a White Texan named Ted.

Because, as mentioned above, he offers overly-simplistic solutions to complex problems, and that appeals to a whole bunch of scared dimwitted people.

Ain't that the truth!

..on a side note:
So was Obama's mother, which reveals the "He was born in Kenya!" claims for the race-based assholery that it was--- even if he had been, he still would've been eligible to run anyway, based on her status.

This! I even recall some talk during the birther heyday suggesting that even if his mother was American born, he still wouldn't qualify as a natural-born citizen. I don't recall what those arguments were, but let's stop pretending they had nothing to do with Obama's race. Again, I find it funny, thought not at all surprising that the same people screaming about Obama's birth certificate when there was a god-damn birth announcement in the Honolulu Advertiser don't question for a moment that Cruz can become president.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

LMP737

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 55):
Uh,

Cruz is a Christian, CUBAN male. He's never claimed to be Caucasian, though he is often referred to as Hispanic.

Is that why he goes by the name Ted Cruz and not Rafael Cruz?

(He is as much Cuban as Obama is black. i.e. 50%).

When people see the president what do they see, a black guy. When they see Ted Cruz what do they see, a white guy.

sovietjet

Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:28 pm

Russia is already kind of carpet bombing anyway. If anyone thinks three Tu-22Ms dropping 20 dumb bombs each from 30k feet is very precise, they are a fool. Putin is doing what others haven't done yet because he doesn't care about re-election or the opinion of CNN. So far, how effective this strategy is remains to be seen.

seb146

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:00 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 59):
Is that why he goes by the name Ted Cruz and not Rafael Cruz?
Quoting LMP737 (Reply 59):
When they see Ted Cruz what do they see, a white guy.

That pretty much sums it up.

With a name like "Ted Cruz" he could also be courting the "so far in the closet they can still see their aunt's sequin hot pants" vote.

Ken777

Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 44):
Unless you realize you shouldn't invade countries far away to begin with.

That is the understatement of the Century. The Cheney/Bush Administration were wetting themselves from Day One to invade Iraq and 9/11 let them develop their arguments.

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 46):
Yes really. In the past a lot of the manpower requirements were driven by the fact that a lot of the equipment the military had was manpower intensive.

And these days the higher levels of equipment sophistication will still demand personnel to not only operate
the equipment, but also to maintain and repair all of this equipment.

Take a USN heavy cruiser back in the 1950's. It needed a crew of about 1000.

The cruiser I was on - the (USS LONG BEACH (CG(N)9) - had around 1,200 officers and men.

I was later transferred to a DDG home ported in Pearl and she had compliment of around 350.

I get worried about a real cruiser with only 400 personnel on board. I've read about the DDG 1000, but wasn't impressed as it needed to remain 40 miles from the hostile action. The DDG I served on would cruise 300 - 400 yards off the beach for close in support of troops - one of the main jobs of destroyers. That also brings up the potential need for a CO to fight his ship while Damage Control is fighting a fire or other combat damage.

I also worry about a limited crew ship being able to handle both an active combat roll and a major Damage Conrtol action, like a large fire

If you want to argue that with a draft we could eliminate the need for service companies like Halliburton fine
Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 50):
Cruz completed the process of formally renouncing any claims/ rights to Canadian citizenship in 2014.

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 62):

And these days the higher levels of equipment sophistication will still demand personnel to not only operate
the equipment, but also to maintain and repair all of this equipment.

That's actually a big issue. I see the German military use more and more (cheaper) civilians to do the maintenance work, especially in the airforce. This is all fine and good in a peacetime depot or a garrison back home, but you can't order civvies out to repair the kit in a combat zone.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

dragon-wings

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:02 am

I don't think Ted Cruz knows what carpet bombing is. I watched a bit of the debate last night and one of the questions to him was about carpet bombing. He said "You would carpet bomb where ISIS is -- not a city, but the location of the troops. You use air power directed -- and you have embedded special forces to direction the air power. But the object isn't to level a city. The object is to kill the ISIS terrorists." That is not carpet bombing Mr. Cruz!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-definition-carpet-bombing-gop-de/
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ER757

Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:39 am

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 64):
I watched a bit of the debate last night

I'll bet you wish you could get that part of your life back  

tommy1808

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:41 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 63):
This is all fine and good in a peacetime depot or a garrison back home, but you can't order civvies out to repair the kit in a combat zone.

Well, as long they retain enough soldiers for peacetime service. Un case of War they just draft the tech staff.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

Aesma

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:57 am

He's never claimed to be Caucasian

I'm not sure what you mean by Caucasian, but if he's not one then who is ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

JJJ

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:16 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 67):
I'm not sure what you mean by Caucasian, but if he's not one then who is ?

Apparently Cuban is now an ethnicity is some people's minds.

rfields5421

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Quoting JJJ (Reply 68):
Apparently Cuban is now an ethnicity is some people's minds.

To folks from Florida, or who spend much time in Florida, Cuban has long been an ethnic minority group, much like Puerto Rican is an ethnic minority to many folks in the northeast.

They don't have 'Hispanics', or rather didn't until a decade or so ago.

Hispanics is a created term designed to include all people from territories or nations where Spanish is the birth language, and it is implied they have darker skin colors than 'whites'. Many groups which are lumped into Hispanic don't like the term.

When I was growing up in the 60s there were:

1. Mexicans
2. Puerto Ricans
3. Cubans

There were no Hispanics.

In Texas, to much of the older population, Ted Cruz is a 'Mexican' half-breed with a white mother. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Texans remember many 'Mexicans' fought alongside Travis at the Alamo, and with Houston at San Jacinto. There are 'Mexican' families in Texas proud of their heritage as founding families of the Republic of Texas.

JJJ

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 69):
To folks from Florida, or who spend much time in Florida, Cuban has long been an ethnic minority group, much like Puerto Rican is an ethnic minority to many folks in the northeast.

I know perfectly there's a ton of Cubans in Miami. I deal with them all the time.

That still doesn't make them an ethnic group. You said this:

Cruz is a Christian, white and male

Uh,

Cruz is a Christian, CUBAN male.

There are White Cubans and there are Black Cubans. Cuban is not an ethnic group, it's a nationality. Cuban, Hispanic, Latino or whatever come in all colours and shades.

So yes, Ted Cruz is white (Caucasian) and Christian. As was his Cuban-born father.

LMP737

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 64):
I don't think Ted Cruz knows what carpet bombing is. I watched a bit of the debate last night and one of the questions to him was about carpet bombing. He said "You would carpet bomb where ISIS is -- not a city, but the location of the troops. You use air power directed -- and you have embedded special forces to direction the air power. But the object isn't to level a city. The object is to kill the ISIS terrorists." That is not carpet bombing Mr. Cruz!

I don't think he cares. He's trying to get the votes of people who either don't know what it is or just don't care either way. The scary thing is there seem to be a lot of them.

OA412

Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 71):
I don't think he cares. He's trying to get the votes of people who either don't know what it is or just don't care either way. The scary thing is there seem to be a lot of them.

He doesn't need to know because his supporters don't care if he knows or not. These are people who hate Muslims so much, they couldn't care less if all 1.5 billion of them disappear tomorrow. Plus, "carpet bombing" is a good sound byte, and they're just happy he's being "tougher" on the browns than Obama, who after all is a closet Muslim from Kenya.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

NAV30

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 72):
Plus, "carpet bombing" is a good sound byte

And it couldn't be less appropriate for use in this context, OA412.

As it happens I recall being 'carpet-bombed' by the Luftwaffe in 1940/41, at about age two. It consisted of a group of about four Luftwaffe aircraft (Heinkel 111s) flying low over our London suburb in formation, and all of them releasing their (delayed-action) bombs simultaneously over the target (hence the use of the word 'carpet,' meaning that the bombs weren't individually aimed). Thankfully they 'stuck to the rules,' and dropped their 'carpet' on a military-looking camp just outside our village.

In actual fact the camp was in use as a prisoner-of-war camp, and was already half-full of German prisoners from the 1940 Battle of France and the ongoing 'Battle of Britain'...........

[Edited 2015-12-18 05:07:53]

WIederling

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:28 pm

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 23):
Jesus did instruct his followers to obtain swords, arguing that if they lacked money they should sell their cloaks in order to pay for the swords.

That doesn't seem to have been a request to arm and fight. Bunch of interpretations around.
His basic tenet seems to have been to not retaliate, not use force and arguing for _mutually_
advantageous solutions.
Anything around on Jesus condoning use of (deadly) force ? Judging as an atheist
I'd think that the guy ( if he actually existed ) did some courses in applied Buddhism before
he went public in Palestine.

Interesting also that most of the fundamental christian denominations are very heavy
on retaliation , fleecing, "we art better than thou..", forcing majorly lopsided solutions
and all the other behavioral patterns
that the good guy seems to have massively frowned upon.
Murphy is an optimist

skyservice_330

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:46 pm

In a related piece of interesting news, PPP's latest poll shows that 30% of Republican primary voters nationally say they support bombing Agrabah.

Agrabah is the country from the Disney movie Aladdin.

13% were opposed while 57% were not sure.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/GOPResults.pdf

seb146

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:39 am

Quoting skyservice_330 (Reply 75):
30% of Republican primary voters nationally say they support bombing Agrabah.

I just saw this on FB. This explains so much about Trump supporters....

BestWestern

Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:24 am

Quoting skyservice_330 (Reply 75):
57% were not sure.

Not sure if Agrabah should glow
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

seb146

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:24 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 77):
Not sure if Agrabah should glow

That would really make it a whole new world