Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Prebooking Heathrow Express Tickets

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 pm

After 8 years (since I finished my studies in London 2004-2007), I'm heading back to London in January 2016 (right after the holidays, practically). I'm going there to revisit my beloved alma mater King's College London (Guy's Hospital campus), give one or two talks, and conduct some in-person, videotaped interviews with my former professors at KCL for an educational programme on craniofacial science and birth defects I am producing for the public, scientists, and families with children born with facial anomalies. I'm also going up to Dundee, Scotland, for the same purpose.

(I studied biomedical and craniofacial sciences at KCL 2004-2007, and my campus was Guy's Hospital.)

When I arrive at LHR (on BA 218 from DEN) on 11 January, I plan to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then a black cab to my hotel in Southwark. I will have luggage, so that appears to be the easiest way.

On the HEX website, apparently, you can prebook HEX tickets, both single and return. I am thinking of prebooking a return HEX ticket. When I book a return ticket, is the ticket back to LHR supposed to be used by a certain date? Or is it open-ended within a certain time period from purchase? I know the ticket from LHR to Paddington is valid for the day of use, but is the return portion (Paddington-LHR) also restricted?

Can I prebook online from here in the USA before I go to the UK?

SmithAir747
Once a Londoner, always a Londoner!

[Edited 2015-12-14 13:07:01]

[Edited 2015-12-14 13:10:53]
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

directorguy

RE: Prebooking Heathrow Express Tickets

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:44 am

You can download the HEX app on your phone, and book a return ticket. I used a non-UK credit card, so yes, you can book from the US unless your bank restricts overseas transactions or something.

The return is open ended I believe. Like many things in the UK, the HEX app is user-friendly and intuitive, and will answer all your questions. If I recall correctly, doesn't matter whether you book a Heathrow/Paddington/Heathrow ticket or Paddington/Heathrow/Paddington, as whoever is scanning the ticket only cares about whether the ticket is valid or not; the direction is irrelevant.
Added bonus, there is a Promo code that will save you quite a bit if you are booking two sets of return tickets.
Using the HEX App will allow you to purchase your ticket, save it to your phone, and access it offline. Conductor who comes on will simply scan the barcode/ticket displayed on your phone and that's it =)

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/faqs/ticket-faqs

FYI, there is also Heathrow Connect, a commuter train that runs between Paddington and LHR with several stops en route, is cheaper and has a different timetable. It's cheaper obviously.

Good luck!

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:56 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Thread starter):
When I arrive at LHR (on BA 218 from DEN) on 11 January, I plan to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, then a black cab to my hotel in Southwark

I would just take the Tube to Waterloo Station, your hotel is probably close, a Blackcab to Waterloo from Paddington will cost minimum £20 and could easily run to double.

On the HEX website, apparently, you can prebook HEX tickets, both single and return. I am thinking of prebooking a return HEX ticket. When I book a return ticket, is the ticket back to LHR supposed to be used by a certain date? Or is it open-ended within a certain time period from purchase? I know the ticket from LHR to Paddington is valid for the day of use, but is the return portion (Paddington-LHR) also restricted?

Or you could buy the tiocket from one of the dozen or so ticket vendors or vending machines in the terminals, they are located ever 50 or so meters from baggage collection to the station itself. Return tickets are open ended.

Quoting directorguy (Reply 1):
FYI, there is also Heathrow Connect, a commuter train that runs between Paddington and LHR with several stops en route, is cheaper and has a different timetable. It's cheaper obviously.

It's a lot slower as well.

seansasLCY

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:15 pm

I believe the Heathrow Express is now cheaper if pre-booked. https://www.heathrowexpress.com/tickets-deals/prices-fares

Usually the return journey is open ended although maybe day specific if booked in advance.

Have fun in London!

andrej

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 2):
I would just take the Tube to Waterloo Station,

It depends if you are time constrained. I have used both and the Heathrow Express beats the ride on the tube.   If you are not in a rush, Underground may be cheaper way to go...

however, as others have pointed out, get your tickets early on and can save a lot!

http://www.heathrowexpress.com/tickets-deals/prices-fares

Kiwirob

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:32 pm

Quoting andrej (Reply 4):
It depends if you are time constrained. I have used both and the Heathrow Express beats the ride on the tube. If you are not in a rush, Underground may be cheaper way to go...

I probably didn't explain myself, take the tube from Paddington to Waterloo, much quicker and significantly cheaper than a taxi.

Quoting andrej (Reply 4):
however, as others have pointed out, get your tickets early on and can save a lot!

This is handly, I never know 90 days out but sometimes I have 30 days notice, 7 almost always.

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks everyone!

I was able to prebook an Express Saver return HEX ticket online for only GBP 26.25 (much cheaper than buying the same ticket at LHR HEX station on the day of travel).

Since I will have luggage, including a checked bag and some sort of rollaboard carry on laptop case with a 17.3" laptop and CPAP machine, I will likely need to take a cab from Paddington to Southwark to avoid carrying my bags onto an Underground train.

I'm looking forward to revisiting my alma mater King's College London/Guy's Hospital and my former mentors in the craniofacial lab, as well as my old haunts in London, after an absence of 8 years (I studied there 2004-2007).

BTW, are there still spotters at LHR? Back then, I spent many a Saturday at Myrtle Avenue and other spots at LHR where people gathered. I was there when the first A380 proving flight landed there in spring 2006.

SmithAir747

PlymSpotter

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:58 pm

When I arrive at LHR (on BA 218 from DEN) on 11 January,

Oh man, how long are you in town for? I'm there 3rd-8th, then 18th onward in Jan. If you're at a lose end drop me a line, would be a pleasure to grab a beer or beverage.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SmithAir747
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 7):

I'll be in London 11-17 January, then in Dundee (Scotland) 17-19 January, return to London the 19th, then return stateside from LHR the 20th.

My flight from DEN-LHR is BA 218 (arriving 11 January), a 747-400; my flight from STN-DND is on a Flybe/Loganair Do328 turboprop (17 January), my flight back from DND to STN on the 19th is also a Flybe/Loganair Do328. My flight home, LHR-DEN, is BA 219, a 747-400, on the 20th.

SmithAir747

seansasLCY

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 6):
BTW, are there still spotters at LHR? Back then, I spent many a Saturday at Myrtle Avenue and other spots at LHR where people gathered. I was there when the first A380 proving flight landed there in spring 2006.

Catch the tube/DLR to Royal Albert DLR station and do some spotting at LCY   I'd be around to show you the sights!

signol

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 2):
It's a lot slower as well.

A whole 9 minutes slower - 24 mins vs. 15 mins.
The tube will be much cheaper still - around the £3-4 mark.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI