neutrino
Topic Author

The Force Awakens - SPOILERS. Beware!

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:00 am

WARNING! This thread is specifically for those who want to discuss the movie after having seen it. Please leave NOW if you want to watch the show and be enjoyably surprised as the director intended.

So far so good for the withholding of the major plot points secrecy. We are being kept in the dark so long as we avoid the social media. But once the press embargo is lifted on the 16th, there will be a deluge of unwanted bits and pieces that will litter the whole galaxy except maybe the far flung corners of the Outer Rim.

As I will be watching it on the morning of December 17 in Singapore, which in LA time is December 16 in the afternoon (that's more than a day earlier than the first public screening of Dec 17 night in the US), I'll disconnect myself for the few hours. Then after I get back home many hours following my viewing of The Force Returns, I'll post the spoilers in here. Please go to the other SW thread which hopefully will be spoilers-free for the folks who will be watching at a later date.

I'll be back...here tomorrow.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

EA CO AS

RE: The Force Awakens - SPOILERS. Beware!

Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:07 am

Well if you're that interested, go here:

Star Wars : The Force Awakens SPOILERS
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

bmacleod

Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Han killed by his own son? That makes no sense.

Hope those spoilers are fake.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

alberchico

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 2):

Hope those spoilers are fake.

They are not, trust me      
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

bwest

Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Went to see it at 10am this morning. Blown away. Clearly made with a lot of love for the original trilogy. Most touching scene I found is were Solo and Leia are reunited... with 3PO showing up in the wrong moment of course.

As for Solo's death, I knew it was coming, but it was still heartbreaking. I'll miss that old pirate :'(

Gemuser

Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:03 am

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 2):

Yes it does! Sad though.

Gemuser (Who just got back from 1st morning session, not up to mid night ones anymore!)
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

grozzy

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:10 am

I just saw it today. I enjoyed it especially the effects with less obvious cgi. One thing I did notice were the stairs. Was this the first star wars film with stairs?

neutrino
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:22 am

Han Solo, wow. Just WOW.
Just watching that scoundrel strutting his stuff is worth the ticket price, with all the other scenes pretty bonuses.
On the whole, plenty of excitement with only a few rare boring moments.
As for the death of Han, things might not be what it seem. Yes, it came across as a clear patricide, with Kylo maliciously plunging his lightsaber into Han's chest. Han than falls into the pit. That's the end we saw of him. Question is, does that really mean his death? I hope not. He might possibly be revived. That blade could just miss his heart. Remember, Kylo is not the finished product, he's not fully formed yet. He is powerful but his skill is lacking. See how he lose the duel in the forest to first-time lightsaber wielder Rey?
Also, that parting scene between Leia and Han when Han promised her he would bring their son back. Call me a romantic but I tend to believe it will be fulfilled, maybe in Ep IX.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:32 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 7):
Han Solo, wow. Just WOW.

That's the one thing that's making me sad about seeing this movie when it debuts here in the U.S. but I've been preparing myself for it, and already saw a leaked screenshot of it. Rumors are already swirling of a possible Oscar nomination for Harrison Ford.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

neutrino
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:42 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 8):

What? You have not seen it yet? What are you doing in this spoiler thread? Spoiling (pun) yourself before the feast?  
The scoundrel is, well, the SCOUNDREL. There were about half a dozen times, tears welled in my eyes from merriment, and two thirds of them are from his scenes. I also half-expected but hoping otherwise that he would be stabbed. A sad moment, but then again, there's my inner wish that he would not die...yet. A could be a huge plot twist in EP IX.
Know what? I am going for a second helping in an hour. The first time I would repeat a show on the same day.

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:47 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 9):
What? You have not seen it yet? What are you doing in this spoiler thread? Spoiling (pun) yourself before the feast?

Nope, haven't seen it yet. I was one of those kids who shook every damn Christmas present so I knew what to expect, so I've always hunted spoilers.

To be honest, it has saved me from spending money on plenty of lousy movies in the past.   

Having said all that, I've been eagerly/anxiously looking forward to Episode VII since it was first announced, and it sounds like this film won't disappoint, even though we lose Han in the process.

neutrino
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:52 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 10):

May The Force Be with You.
It will be with me...again, in less than an hour.   

EA CO AS

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:26 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 11):
May The Force Be with You.

....and also with you. (Damn Catholic upbringing!)   

neutrino
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Just back from my second round.
This time I watched a bit more closely at the sequence following Rey touching Anakin/Luke's lightsaber. In the flash scene on Rey being left behind on Jakku, it seems like the Millennium Falcon was in the background. That and the intimate hug that Leia gave Rey when they first met after her return from Starkiller Base appeared to me that the bond between the two ladies run deep. There's much speculation that Rey is also from the Skywalker line; either the daughter of Luke or Han & Leia. I tend towards the latter, meaning that Kylo/Ben and Rey are sibblings, even probably twins. Her Force could be even stronger than Kylo's. I base this last suspicion not on their lightsaber duel, because Kylo might have lost due to over-confidence and the fact that he was already wounded; by Chewbacca and then Finn. Its because she without any prior experience of its use has managed to turn the table against Kylo's mind probing.

mke717spotter

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:32 am

I'm an avid Star Wars fan, and while I was a bit skeptical when Disney announced that they were going to make a new trilogy, I got excited about its prospects when they decided to bring the old cast back. The overall anticipation of the movie is probably similar to when Episode I came out, except I was still pretty young then so I didn't immediately grasp the whole concept of the prequels. I just got home from seeing the movie and here's my thoughts:

- It definitely felt a bit surreal when the Star Wars logo and opening text popped up on the big screen. Same as when the old characters made their first appearance. I felt that George Lucas was sincerely adamant about there being no more new Star Wars movies, so when I saw Episode III I figured that was it.

- Disappointed to see Han Solo die, though I'm not really that surprised since I remember reading about how Harrison Ford wanted George Lucas to include that in Episode VI. Unlike the other classic characters, he had a pretty large role in this movie so at least he went out with a bang. Maybe they'll bring him back as a force "ghost" in the next two episodes?

- I read that Mark Hamill went through a grueling diet/work-out regimen to prepare for the film, so I wasn't expecting him to have such a miniscule role. I also felt that the ending scene with his initial appearance was a little cheesy and they could've handled that better. At least it seems like he'll be more involved in the next episode.

- I wish we would've gotten more information in terms of how Anakin's/Luke's blue lightsaber was recovered. Maybe that will also be revealed in the next installment?

Overall, the movie didn't disappoint. I didn't HATE the prequels, but some of the cheesy acting and overuse of CGI did create kind of a blemish on the franchise. I know they're making a spin-off about a young Han Solo, but I just hope they don't go crazy making all sorts of movies and ruin the prestige of Star Wars (kind of like how Marvel seems to be making an endless amount of films nowadays).
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

seb146

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:57 am

SPOILER ALERT:

I don't care.

More to the point, they are making a Samurai Jack movie!!! About freakin' time!!!

Gotta stir the pot somehow  
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BlueSky1976

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:18 am

This movie is A M A Z I N G !!!
I went to see the "midnight" show on Polish opening day. Full house. All Star Wars freaks. Damn, there were even people in their 40s and 50s bringing their kids with them together.

"I have a bad feeling about this": check.
X-wing fighter-foo: check.
Millenium Falcon-foo: check.
Tie fighter-foo: check.
Death Star-foo: check.
Epic lightsaber duel: check.
Chewbacca-foo: check.
Pan-over-to-next-scene: check.
"May the Force be with you": check.

Han Solo's death - well, I was prepared for it the minute I saw "bridge over bottomless pit" background (Episode V anyone?). Probably the best scene in an entire movie - for a second you think that Kaylo Ren will cross over to the good side and then suddenly BLAST!!!

Best part? For me - when Ray runs towards the space ship with BB-8 to escape and says the other ship is garbage. Then the ship is blown up by tie-fighted, she tells the droid the garbage will have to do then, they start running towards it, camera pans over and its Millenium Falcon!!! (everyone cheered then).

Oh, and Death Star-foo - LOVED IT. In A New Hope it was just some distant planet being destroyed, here - the entire system gets blown up and you are literally in the middle of the impact when it happens. Truly scary and frightening!

This movie misses only one, tiny little thing: 20th Century Fox fanfaire at the very beginning. Otherwise - I put it right next to The Empire Strikes Back.

...and now I have a dillema who is the better blockbuster director: Christopher Nolan or JJ Abrams...

Oh, and Luke looks like old Obi-Wan Kenobi. Which is a good thing...

[Edited 2015-12-18 00:21:37]
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

Mir

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:06 am

I have to say I walked out of the theater not particularly impressed.

Which isn't to say that there aren't some really great things in the movie. The new characters were fantastic. The setup was excellent. The callbacks were well done and felt natural (especially the Falcon scene). The production was excellent, the settings rich and beautiful, and the effects were top-notch. The foundation was being laid for a truly wonderful movie.

But then when it came time to actually build the building, it seemed like all the careful planning in laying the groundwork was forgotten, and it resulted in a big mess. What was a new Death Star in aid of? Why did we need that? The First Order was plenty compelling as a villain before we found out they had Death Star III. Why kill off Han so quickly? There was so much potential in the story arc between him and Kylo Ren that just got snuffed out before it really had the chance to get going. How did Finn, who is not a jedi and hasn't even used a lightsaber before, manage to not get his ass handed to him by Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel? How did Rey go from no experience in using the Force to basic proficiency in using the Force in the span of the movie without any sort of training? Not even Luke pulled that off in the original trilogy - even het got the Yoda/Kenobi abbreviated course of study, while Anakin got years and years of training. It's okay to have your hero's abilities develop slowly over several movies. In fact, that's the way it should be done.

Almost the whole second half of the movie just seemed contrived in an effort to cram as much stuff in as possible, and while it made for a fine action movie with Star Wars characters in it, it didn't feel like a true Star Wars movie. And that's a real shame.

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 16):
...and now I have a dillema who is the better blockbuster director: Christopher Nolan or JJ Abrams...

If you like cheap fun, Abrams will suffice. But if you want something deeper and more meaningful, it's Nolan and it's not particularly close.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

UA444

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:15 am

I hope Harrison Ford will still be in the next two movies.

neutrino
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:31 am

The wait is over.
The wait begins.

It will be a tad over 17 months to SW VIII.
What would be revealed in the next episode?
The origin of Rey. I'll like to see if my premise of her and Kylo being siblings pan out. Will she be the successor owner of the Millennium Falcon, with Chewie still the mate? I'm still hoping that Han will return but that will be unlikely till EP IX if at all.
That being said, this looks interesting:
4. The main The Force Awakens cast members are returning!
Kathleen told a UK outlet at the London premiere this week that “there will be a handful of new cast members in Episode VIII but also all the cast members you see here tonight will be in it as well.” The cast members in attendance included Daisy, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Lupita Nyong’o, Gwendoline Christie, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Peter Mayhew, and more! http://www.justjared.com/2015/12/18/...8-details-6-things-we-know-so-far/

Is Maz Kanata from a related species of Yoda? there are a lot of similarities between the two, their skin color apart. Have they met before since Maz is a thousand years old and Yoda was born 900 before the Battle of Endor, according to Wookieepedia. That makes it something like seven age years difference in earthing terms. Maybe they were once closer than just friends, with Maz being also somehow having affinity with the Force?

The Chrometrooper's current presence is a bit underwhelming. Hope Captain Phasma will be more prominent next.

Snoke will be completing Kylo's darkside training whilst Luke will presumably begin Rey's Jedi journey. How will the two new generation Force users stack up against each other?

I have a feeling that Kylo/Ben Solo will eventually return to Leia's side, with or without Han but I will have to wait till 2019 for the answer.

BlueSky1976

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
Why kill off Han so quickly?

Now that I am digesting the movie, I noticed Han Solo from Episode VII did not have the "juice" of Han Solo from Episodes IV-VI. Harrison Ford - with all due respect - did not give it his 100%, and now I have an impression that he purposely asked Lawrence Kasdan to kill off his character in the first episode...

I guess we shall see in Episode VIII...

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):

If you like cheap fun, Abrams will suffice. But if you want something deeper and more meaningful, it's Nolan and it's not particularly close.

Agreed 100%.
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

KLMA330

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:08 pm

Star Wars who?

Downton Abbey starts on January 3rd. 6th and final season.
I've been lined up in front of my own TV since October :P

EA CO AS

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
How did Finn, who is not a jedi and hasn't even used a lightsaber before, manage to not get his ass handed to him by Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel?

Finn was at least trained as a Stormtrooper, meaning as long as he wasn't trying to y'know, shoot something, he'd probably fare well in combat.   

That, and Kylo Ren was obviously not fully trained either.

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
How did Rey go from no experience in using the Force to basic proficiency in using the Force in the span of the movie without any sort of training?

Because she received Jedi training at an early age, before getting dumped on Jakku. That, and she was fighting a not-fully-trained Sith who was armed with a not-quite-ready-for-primetime lightsaber, whereas hers (Anakin's/Luke's) was a top-notch creation.

Mir

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 22):
That, and Kylo Ren was obviously not fully trained either.

Except he was plenty badass earlier on in the movie.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 22):
Because she received Jedi training at an early age, before getting dumped on Jakku.

Even if that were the case (and if so it should have then manifested earlier on in the movie in some subtle ways, perhaps in the way she dealt with the scrap trader), it's still a huge jump to be making. It took Luke three movies before he could deal with Vader properly. Having the hero be able to pretty much dispatch the villain in the first one means lower stakes in future encounters, and that's not a good thing story-wise.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Kiwirob

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Quoting mke717spotter (Reply 14):
- I read that Mark Hamill went through a grueling diet/work-out regimen to prepare for the film, so I wasn't expecting him to have such a miniscule role. I also felt that the ending scene with his initial appearance was a little cheesy and they could've handled that better. At least it seems like he'll be more involved in the next episode.

To me it was just a remake of A New Hope. I enjoyed it but you knew what was happening before it happened.

Neither it's Peter Jackson  

Revelation

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Not a devotee of the series. Saw 4/5/6 as they came out, haven't seen 1/2/3 at all. Was treated by my employer to a closed screening of 7 today, which was quite well received by me and my co-workers.

Quoting bwest (Reply 4):
Blown away.

Amused and bemused.

Quoting bwest (Reply 4):
Clearly made with a lot of love for the original trilogy.

Mainly a sympathetic reheat, says I.

Quoting Grozzy (Reply 6):
less obvious cgi

Agree. Only once (Millenium Falcon pointed at the water) did I say "that's cgi"...

Quoting neutrino (Reply 13):
There's much speculation that Rey is also from the Skywalker line; either the daughter of Luke or Han & Leia. I tend towards the latter, meaning that Kylo/Ben and Rey are sibblings, even probably twins. Her Force could be even stronger than Kylo's.

Yes, she's got the Force so it's almost certain she's a family member.

"I have a bad feeling about this": check.
X-wing fighter-foo: check.
Millenium Falcon-foo: check.
Tie fighter-foo: check.
Death Star-foo: check.
Epic lightsaber duel: check.
Chewbacca-foo: check.
Pan-over-to-next-scene: check.
"May the Force be with you": check.

Cantina scene -- check.
That's not the droid you're looking for / Unshackle the restraints, leave the door open, drop the weapon -- check.
You've got a garbage compactor -- check.

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
I have to say I walked out of the theater not particularly impressed.

I found it enjoyable but it was largely a muted echo of the original. Soooo many repeated elements. I know making a reheat is a pretty rational thing to do, but I would have expected it to wander off the beaten path a bit more than this did.

For postitives, I was glad to see a strong female lead, and enjoyed Finn's honesty about his motivations etc instead of the squeaky-clean Luke Skywalker type of character.

I didn't watch the prequels at all, so is this leading us to the first interracial Star Wars relationship?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

EA CO AS

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 22):That, and Kylo Ren was obviously not fully trained either.
Except he was plenty badass earlier on in the movie.

Anyone Force-sensitive with even basic training as a Jedi would look plenty badass compared to those without.

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
it's still a huge jump to be making

Agree to disagree, I guess. Seventeen months to Episode VIII when we get to see more....

neutrino
Topic Author

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:53 am

My view of how Rey more than hold her own against Kylo in their lightsaber duel:
1) The Force Awakens...in her. It was first triggered when mind-probed by a still-not-fully-capable apprentice Kylo. The latent (very powerful) Force in her turned the table against him and she probed him back. She then tentatively explored its capabilities further against the stormtrooper guarding her. (That's Agent 007 Daniel Craig in a cameo).
2) She was skilled and well-practised in hand weapon combat. Transiting from staff to saber is not that difficult. Like a seasoned truck driver getting into a sportscar for the first time, though unfamiliar with the nuances, the basics are not that far off. Being a quick learner, she adapts in no time though her strokes repertoire is still staff-based.
3) Her innate Force is stronger than her opponent's and the exquisitely-crafted blue lightsaber in more attuned to her than the powerful-but-unstable spluttering red one is to Kylo.
4) Not-quite-yet-wielder of darkside Force Kylo is overconfident (he thinks he's powerful enough to persuade Rey to go under his wings), conflicted & disturbed (just stabbed his lightsaber into his dad's chest and supposedly killed him) and quite seriously injured (mainly by Chewie's bowcaster bolt and also to a lesser extent by a lightsaber poke & a slash from Finn).

Quoting Mir (Reply 23):
It took Luke three movies before he could deal with Vader properly
Kylo's skill and power is many many many parsecs way off from Vader's who was one of the most powerful master of the Force in history when Luke fights him..
Apprentice Kylo is very different from the previous villains who were all already deadly Force masters when they first appear. Vader, Sidious, Dooku, Maul.

neutrino
Topic Author

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:29 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 25):
Finn's honesty

Not quite.
When Poe asked him why he is helping, Finn replied its the right thing to do. Poe obviously not believing him countered: "You need a pilot".
Finn lied, Han Solo-esque...and I like that.  

Revelation

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 28):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 25):
Finn's honesty

Not quite.

Yes, honesty wasn't the right word. The point I was trying to make was he isn't squeaky clean like Luke Skywalker. I suppose I mean he's flawed like most people are.

PS: Han also told him women always figure out when we're lying!  
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

neutrino
Topic Author

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 29):

I got your point. Flawed but earnest and loyal to his beliefs.
His lies are, as I had said, Han Solo-esque which are easily exposed.
Han knows what he is saying about women...from experience  

[Edited 2015-12-19 06:59:19]

Adipasquale

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Watched the movie last night, and I definitely enjoyed it. There were enough parallels to the original trilogy for some laughs, etc, but not too many that it became completely corny. To me, The Force Awakens is better than the prequels, but not quite at the level of the originals, which captured something magic that will never be repeated. The Force Awakens is IMHO up there with Mad Max for the best movies of 2015. I expected to see more of Mark Hamill, but the ending set up for us to see much more of him in the next episode. I also hope to learn more about Snoke in the coming episodes.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

apodino

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Loved the Movie. Abrams did a great job with this, and the ending is really making me hungry for Episode 8. I hope Rian Johnson does well with that.

A memorable scene for me is where Leia and Han were reunited. I got real teary eyed seeing that scene and even C3PO showing up at an inopportune time didn't save me from ballng up.

ikramerica

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:29 pm

If Finn is mace windus grandson (which I believe he is) then he would be able to use a light saber, though not perfectly as Luke/Anakin/Rey's wasn't designed for his bloodline. That, combined with storm trooper hand to hand training which was on display when fought another trooper who weilded a battle sword of some kind, would make is ability to hold off ren for a while believable. He didn't win. He was nearly killed...

To me this was the only intriguing part of the whole movie. The rest was predictable and basically a reboot of the same story but with younger bad guys and girl power because, you know, whatever now days.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Cadet985

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Quoting UA444 (Reply 18):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...s-cast-returning-Episode-VIII.html

Harrison Ford isn't going anywhere.

Marc

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:08 am

Anyone notice that C3PO had his golden arm back in place in the scene where the Millennium Falcon was departing to find Luke?

No explanation for the red arm, no explanation why it was a temporary replacement, etc.

ikramerica

Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:40 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 35):

He said he'd be getting a gold one soon. It was s gag. C3PO is always being torn limb from limb. It's just s callback joke.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 36):
He said he'd be getting a gold one soon. It was s gag. C3PO is always being torn limb from limb. It's just s callback joke.

Which is what I'd thought as well, except there are plenty of reviews taking it very, very seriously for some reason!

neutrino
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:16 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 35):
Quoting ikramerica (Reply 36):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):

Another reason could be to sell more C3PO toys.
"Mummy, daddy, I want that C3PO".
"No dear, you already have one".
"But this one have a red arm, I want it".

Gemuser

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:44 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 38):
Another reason could be to sell more C3PO toys.
"Mummy, daddy, I want that C3PO".
"No dear, you already have one".
"But this one have a red arm, I want it".

Cynical, cynical, but quite possibly correct!

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

TWA772LR

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:56 am

I think that Rey, is Luke's daughter. DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!
I believe Luke left her on Jakku for her safety to not get into the war, but the man she's with in the flash back sounds like Kylo. Maybe Laia and Luke left both of their kids there.

Moreover, who is the old man in the first scene? I thought it was Obi Won at first, but remembered he's dead.  

And James Earl Jones HAS to be somewhere in this trilogy!!! Lake he had a small presence in the last one, but that was one of the better parts of Episode III.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:47 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 41):
Moreover, who is the old man in the first scene?

He is/was Lor San Tekka.

Quoting Wookieepedia:

San Tekka was a follower of the Church of the Force, an underground faith of loosely affiliated followers
of Jedi ideals. He also knew the history of Leia Organa[2] and considered her to be royalty.

Quoting StarWars.com:

A legendary traveler and explorer, Lor San Tekka is a longtime ally of the New Republic and the
Resistance. After the Battle of Endor, San Tekka helped Luke Skywalker recover secret Jedi lore
that the Empire had tried to erase, and Leia Organa hopes the old scout can now help find her brother.
Following decades of adventure, San Tekka retired to live simply on Jakku, where he follows the
dictates of the once-forbidden Church of the Force. But his retirement is fated to be anything but peaceful.

So hardly a coincident that he and Rey "happens" to be on the same planet. More likely he was
there to keep on eye on Rey since Luke and/or Leia knows who she really is.

[Edited 2015-12-20 01:50:53]
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

CPH-R

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:48 am

Decided to catch a late screening last night. A bit of a spur of the moment decision, but not I regret. Thought it was a bit slow on the uptake, but liked the nods to the classic trilogy.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 37):
Which is what I'd thought as well, except there are plenty of reviews taking it very, very seriously for some reason!

IIRC there was something about one of the characters having prosthetic arm, as a nod to the Force for Change program.

CPH-R

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:31 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 41):
but the man she's with in the flash back sounds like Kylo

I thought the same, until someone on another forum pointed out that it was Unkar Plutt, the junkyard dealer. It would have been odd for Kylo Ren to have his mask & vocoder at that time anyway.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 43):
IIRC there was something about one of the characters having prosthetic arm, as a nod to the Force for Change program.

Luke has a prosthetic hand, lost in The Empire Strikes Back against Darth Vader - but back then it was shown as human in appearance, and later covered with a glove.

In the flashback sequence in The Force Awakens, Luke's hand is shown to be fully mechanical, as Anakin's was following the loss of his entire forearm/hand to Count Dooku in Attack of the Clones.

cjg225

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:43 pm

I have seen many bad movies in my life, but Star Wars Episode VII will occupy a special place in my mind for how atrocious it was. As a massive Star Wars fan who loves the story of Star Wars and the endless opportunities it presents, I cannot stress enough how hard it is for me to say this. The Force Awakens is a bitter disappointment that shows that many people can combine to destroy what once brought hope.

I don't even know where to start. I have been wracking my mind for the last 3 hours trying to figure out this movie. I was waiting the whole time to reach a point where I would say to myself, "Okay, this isn't bad. I can buy this. It's not great or a masterpiece, but it's passable." But, I never got to that point. It went from bad to worse.

The highlights of the movie for me were Rey (almost entirely... not buying a couple things) and Finn's dialogue. Other than that, there wasn't much that was enjoyable.

I have to continue to process this, and probably spend a lot of time on The Force.net's forum reviewing things with other members. I greatly hesitate to see this again, but I may have to put myself through it. I love Star Wars too much to completely abandon even this piece of junk.

I hypothesize that those who are fans of the Expanded Universe (like me) will have a higher incidence of negative opinions of the film compared to those who have seen only the six mainline films. I've already been seeing a few negative opinions peaking out the last few days. I honestly thing people WANT to like this film and do not want to rock the boat by having negative opinions of it.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

mke717spotter

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:27 am

Quoting UA444 (Reply 18):

Anyone think there's a good chance they bring Billy Dee Williams (Lando) back in either of the next two movies?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

ikramerica

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:32 am

In 35 years the xwing is still the go to fighter? No improvements. Oh, they have black squadron now...

It's vitally important we find that droid. Send one squad. Send two tie fighters to stop the falcon. We really can't spare a square...

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 46):

I think despite box office records, word of mouth is negative. It grossed $120m on the first day, a record by a lot. But Saturday and Sunday it underperformed some other recent blockbusters. I wonder how "bad" Sunday's numbers were.

Silver1SWA

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:54 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 48):

I think despite box office records, word of mouth is negative. It grossed $120m on the first day, a record by a lot. But Saturday and Sunday it underperformed some other recent blockbusters. I wonder how "bad" Sunday's numbers were.

It depends. In my social media circles everyone freaking loves the movie and has seen it 2-3 times already. They acknowledge the films weaknesses but it's nearly unanimously "the Star Wars movie I've hoped for!" And they are celebrating the victory at the box office as records are being shattered.

[Edited 2015-12-20 20:56:04]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mt99

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:37 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 32):
Loved the Movie. Abrams did a great job with this, and the ending is really making me hungry for Episode 8. I hope Rian Johnson does well with that.

I agree - it was a fun fun movie to watch - i think the next one will be hard to pull off, Episode VII had the benefit of bringing back some old familiar characters - the next movie will have to stand on its own. We will see in 2017 if they pull it off

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 48):
t's vitally important we find that droid. Send one squad. Send two tie fighters to stop the falcon. We really can't spare a square...

Oh please - The original 3 were never perfect movies (just watch the Family Guy remakes and you will see all the plot holes and inconstancies pointed out) - so overthinking this one new movie is just a little nuts  

Lando wearing Han's clothes? LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeerovXpEZk

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 33):
girl power

Well Leia was the only woman in the galaxy in the original series.. so whats wrong with more females?

[Edited 2015-12-20 21:50:55]
Step into my office, baby