Boeing717200

RE: The Force Awakens - SPOILERS. Beware!

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Records continue to fall...This thing is on cruise control....

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4135&p=.htm

Projected to clear half a billion domestically by the weekend which puts it on course for a billion world wide. By Monday the 21st it was already at $610 million worldwide. This thing could clear a billion by New Years Day. It will be interesting to see if people hit the theaters for a second view next weekend now that the initial burst is over.

[Edited 2015-12-23 15:50:16]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

jacobin777

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:14 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 100):
Projected to clear half a billion domestically by the weekend which puts it on course for a billion world wide. By Monday the 21st it was already at $610 million worldwide. This thing could clear a billion by New Years Day. It will be interesting to see if people hit the theaters for a second view next weekend now that the initial burst is over.

Releasing close to Christmas weekend was marketing brilliance.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 99):
Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 94):
I'm not so sure how he survived with the Death Star blowing up.

If he wasn't mortally wounded, he could have managed to crawl to a ship somewhere. He is a survivor.

True but I simply fail to see how he would've survived.
"Up the Irons!"

CXfirst

Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:49 pm

I did enjoy the movie, and was expecting it to just pay homage to the original trilogy, and, personally, I did not have much against that. The only thing that really annoyed me was the plan to destroy the new death star. Just seemed to amateurish. Find a weak spot and attack it with a handful of Xwings. It's like they didn't even expect to see any resistance, and surely they would have something with a bit more fire power to destroy something that large.

That being said, with the movie following the original trilogy that closely. It does put added pressure on the next instalment. They can no longer expect fans to just come for the nostalgia, they will want some more originality. Seeing the original characters, the Millennium Falcon, etc, again isn't going to be enough.

Quoting Mir (Reply 58):
Totally a Death Star. You could look at it in the posters and say "wow, that looks a lot like a Death Star, I hope it's not an actual Death Star in the movie", and then be really disappointed that it turned out to be a Death Star.

Definitely a death star. It even turned into a star at the end! They just upgraded it from moon size to planet size.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 66):
The planet blew up with Kylo and Han's body still on it, no?

Kylo got off. It would be far fetched for Han to have gotten off on his own. I wouldn't like that development. Personally, I don't like seeing too many characters that die dramatically come back to life. It just ruins the drama from the death scene. He can come back in spirit, sure, as that fits in with the Star Wars Universe.

Quoting neutrino (Reply 95):
He could have been frozen in carbonite or similar after falling into the bottom of the abyss. When the planet blows up, the chunk he was encased and preserved in got blasted into space and later recovered by the Resistance, and then attended to by medidroids.
Yeah, far-fetched and not that likely, but one can dream and hope.

Hope not. Han Solo in carbonite.....

-CXfirst

neutrino
Topic Author

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 102):

The only thing that really annoyed me was the plan to destroy the new death star. Just seemed to amateurish. Find a weak spot and attack it with a handful of Xwings. It's like they didn't even expect to see any resistance, and surely they would have something with a bit more fire power to destroy something that large.

Oh, its more than that.
Starkiller Base was protected by an ordinarily impenetrable shield. Han Solo and company were able to slip through it only by flying in the Millennium Falcon at lightspeed. Once inside, they then got the shield disabled so that the X-wings can do their runs. Their target is to destroy the whatever oscillator so that the stored solar power could become unstable. That blew up the planet, ie the X-wings did it only indirectly by messing up the oscillator, not the planet itself, and even then they require Chewie's setting off of the planted explosives inside to weaken it.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

CXfirst

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:27 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 103):
Starkiller Base was protected by an ordinarily impenetrable shield. Han Solo and company were able to slip through it only by flying in the Millennium Falcon at lightspeed. Once inside, they then got the shield disabled so that the X-wings can do their runs. Their target is to destroy the whatever oscillator so that the stored solar power could become unstable. That blew up the planet, ie the X-wings did it only indirectly by messing up the oscillator, not the planet itself, and even then they require Chewie's setting off of the planted explosives inside to weaken it.

I wasn't talking about the planet. But the oscillator itself. It seemed like quite a terrible plan sending a few Xwings to destroy the oscillator. And, it seems like they were unprepared for any retaliation by any tie fighters. The fact that they had to rely on the explosives set off by Chewie, even though that was not the plan, proves so.

Oh, and the fact that the deathstar V3 had such an easily accessible weak spot is also a little suspect.

-CXfirst

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:08 am

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 96):
Does his death scene (so it may seem) seem more like Maul killing Qui-Gon in Ep 1 or Vader striking Obi-Wan as he ascended into the force in Ep IV?

Both, actually.

Obi-Wan being killed spurred the young, talented kid to unlock his potential. Han being killed in front of Rey did the same thing.

However, Qui-Gon being killed by Darth Maul also gave us the death to be avenged; Kylo Ren killing Han gives us that need for his death to be avenged at some point.

Or, possibly - Ren being redeemed by sacrificing himself for someone else, a la Vader and Luke.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DocLightning

Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:34 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 74):

You'd never see a Sith Lord lose their cool and go ape-shit on the bridge of a Star Destroyer the way Ren did. I like the fact that he lacks the control and discipline the Sith had, making him totally unpredictable and more fun.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I was distracted. What were you saying?   

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 85):

Uh... not really. Please rewatch the original trilogy. Harrison Ford is much smoother. He isn't forcing his lines in the OT. He was merely "there" in this movie. Where in the world are people getting "vibrant" from? Or even making the slightest argument he had an Oscar-worthy performance?

I'm sorry, but he killed this role. He's done a lot of excellent work, but to step effortlessly back into a character from 1977 and pull it off flawlessly...and even manage to still be hot...that's a magnum opus right there.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 104):

I wasn't talking about the planet. But the oscillator itself. It seemed like quite a terrible plan sending a few Xwings to destroy the oscillator. And, it seems like they were unprepared for any retaliation by any tie fighters. The fact that they had to rely on the explosives set off by Chewie, even though that was not the plan, proves so.

So here's the backstory:
http://cdn2.thegloss.com/wp-content/...08/Adam-Driver-in-Vogue-SHEEP.jpeg

The Resistance was an insurgent force in an empire-controlled sector of the galaxy and was supported by the Republic, much as Putin did with Crimea. The Republic would have sent their fleet to destroy Starkiller Base except Starkiller Base fired first and destroyed the Hosnian system where the Republic had their headquarters (which was NOT CORUSCANT) and with it the entire Republic fleet (because, for some reason, the Republic decided to put their entire startleet in orbit around one planet, in an act of monstrous stupidity not seen since Pearl Harbor). So "TFA" is the start of an interesting epoch in Galactic history in which the Republic has just been massively destabilized, but so has the First Order, which is basially the remnant of the Empire.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

L-188

Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:33 am

I was really curious to see how Disney was going to destroy the franchise and now we know. After the hatchet job JJ Abrams did on the revamp of Star Trek this movie shouldn't be a surprise.

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):

I have to say I walked out of the theater not particularly impressed.

Neither was I. Frankly it felt like the movie was not written for a plot by by focus groups for the purpose of introducing new characters and killing off old ones. Reportedly Harrison Ford's take from the film is 35 million plus .5% of the take. Plus the 1.5 he got for breaking his leg on set. That gave Disney 36.5 million reasons plus to kill him off.

Quoting neutrino (Reply 19):

The Chrometrooper's current presence is a bit underwhelming.

They should have left the chrome with Battlestar Glalactica.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Polot

Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 107):

Neither was I. Frankly it felt like the movie was not written for a plot by by focus groups for the purpose of introducing new characters and killing off old ones.

Well yes, that is the point. It is a new trilogy- they have to introduce, and more importantly get the audience to care about, the new characters and get the ball rolling on the over-reaching story. Rey, Finn, and Kylo are the new main characters and primary focus of the triology; not Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Anakin, Yoda, Obi wan, etc.

And they only killed off 1 (one) old character. The plot was a little derivative but it was there (and certainly stronger than the plot we have seen in some other Star Wars movies).

That gave Disney 36.5 million reasons plus to kill him off.

Disney bought LucasArts for $4 billion. You really think they would kill off a popular character (whose actor wanted the character killed about 30 years ago) just because they have to pay him $36+ million?

DocLightning

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Neither was I. Frankly it felt like the movie was not written for a plot by by focus groups for the purpose of introducing new characters and killing off old ones. Reportedly Harrison Ford's take from the film is 35 million plus .5% of the take. Plus the 1.5 he got for breaking his leg on set. That gave Disney 36.5 million reasons plus to kill him off.

Except he's in the next movie. And this has been publicly announced.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:20 pm

-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:03 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/3xb4g0/what_is_known_about_the_hosnian_system_or/

And this. Basically, the destruction of the Hosnian system was horribly done. To do it properly, use the first five minutes of the film not to show storm troopers descending on Jakoo, but to give us some backstory.

Go through the events since Episode VI and then show us the Hosnian System and the New Republic Senate. Let us fall in love with the Hosnian System. Fly us through the city. Show us democracy in action.

And THEN blow it up in our faces. That would have had the proper impact.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 111):
Go through the events since Episode VI and then show us the Hosnian System and the New Republic Senate. Let us fall in love with the Hosnian System. Fly us through the city. Show us democracy in action.

I would have been onboard with this, definitely.

Of course it's not quite the end of the Republic however, as Hosnian Prime was the current seat of the government, but that seat regularly rotates to other worlds.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DocLightning

Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:48 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/3xb4g0/what_is_known_about_the_hosnian_system_or/
http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeak...known_about_the_hosnian_system_or/

Sorry...
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

slider

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 109):
Except he's in the next movie. And this has been publicly announced.

Solo may appear in flashbacks, or the writers want to keep their options open at the very least. But the fact he's reupped makes all the fanboy conspirists all claim he's not dead.

I don't disagree, but how long would you want that movie to be? The Hosnian system being obliterated was merely to establish the power of the Starkiller base. It didn't need to create emotional tension with Hosnian victims. Not when you already have introduced three, if not four (if you include Poe Dameron) primary characters in a sequel that's 32 years after ROTJ.

But akin to your argument is why Coruscant in the prequels is shiny, clean, busy. A galactic war has no consequences for anyone involved, another mistake in a long line of fatal flaws from Lucas with the prequels.

but I've no reservation about the way they blew stuff up; it's simply meant to move the character arcs along. Abrams is said to have cut 45 minutes from the film, so I wonder if there is any exposition on Hosnian/seat of government sort of thing.

zanl188

Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:04 pm

- Droid on a journey w/important information: check

- I'll go out on a limb here and say that I think Hamill, Fisher, and Ford have probably already filmed whatever scenes needed for the next movie. Protects Disneys investment from random heart attack, stroke, etc. Would also explain why Hamill had to get in shape.

- R2 comatose? What wakes him up? Is he tied into the Force as well?

- Why did Chewie not accompany Rey to the mountain to find Luke? All that effort to find Luke and Chewie decides to hang out at the Falcon?

- Luke has nothing to say to Rey? I know it's a cliff hanger... but that's a pretty dramatic moment that should have some dialogue even one word, say: "Mom?" joking, but you get the idea...

- Falcon sits in a junkyard for considerable length of time, yet has all it's parts and is perfectly operable? Especially after all the trouble in "Empire"..
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

DocLightning

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:02 pm

Quoting zanl188 (Reply 115):

- Falcon sits in a junkyard for considerable length of time, yet has all it's parts and is perfectly operable? Especially after all the trouble in "Empire"..

Well, airtight and fueled and stuff. But as soon as it takes off it starts spraying poison gas into the cabin. Because that's a logical failure mode to design into a spaceship.

Quoting slider (Reply 114):
I don't disagree, but how long would you want that movie to be?

Five minutes longer? Maybe prune back a few of the many chase scenes by a few seconds each? Give us a bit more backstory in the yellow script that flies into space at the start?

The STORY is the most important part, right?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

sammyk

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:28 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 116):
Well, airtight and fueled and stuff. But as soon as it takes off it starts spraying poison gas into the cabin. Because that's a logical failure mode to design into a spaceship.

Likely one of Han's "special modifications" in the event it's stolen, boarded, or whatever.

ACDC8

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:31 am

Good Lord - some of you are giving Trekkie's a run for their money LOL!
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

ACDC8

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:32 am

fter the hatchet job JJ Abrams did on the revamp of Star Trek this movie shouldn't be a surprise.

Sorry, but JJ did a fantastic job on the Star Trek reboot.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

DocLightning

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:36 am

Quoting sammyk (Reply 117):

Likely one of Han's "special modifications" in the event it's stolen, boarded, or whatever.

No, he hadn't seen the ship in a while. They go over a lot of modifications that have been made in his absence.

Apparently spaceships have compressors that can be bypassed.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

EA CO AS

Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:41 am

Quoting slider (Reply 114):
The Hosnian system being obliterated was merely to establish the power of the Starkiller base.

That, and if Jar Jar were still a member of the Senate, it was a great way for JJ Abrams to indirectly kill him off once and for all.   

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:01 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 116):
Give us a bit more backstory in the yellow script that flies
into space at the start?

Imo all that we need to know is already in the opening crawl. "The sinister First Order has risen from the
ashes of the empire". How and when isn't really needed and the viewers can draw their own
conclusions from it. Just as with Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber.

Personally I like when not everything is explained in details so that the viewers themselves can
make/draw their own interpretations/assumptions/conclusions. Use your imagination and logics,
Imperial fleets and ships are scattered all over the galaxy. So when the Emperor dies there is a
power vacuum and it is just logical that some will try to exploit this for their own gain.
It doesn't really need to be explained.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

sammyk

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 120):
No, he hadn't seen the ship in a while. They go over a lot of modifications that have been made in his absence.

Apparently spaceships have compressors that can be bypassed.

How would we know when the modification was made? The "special modifications" line is from Episode IV, so it could have been there all along.

Polot

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 122):
Personally I like when not everything is explained in details so that the viewers themselves can
make/draw their own interpretations/assumptions/conclusions. Use your imagination and logics,
Imperial fleets and ships are scattered all over the galaxy. So when the Emperor dies there is a
power vacuum and it is just logical that some will try to exploit this for their own gain.
It doesn't really need to be explained.

It also gives Disney space to expand the story in the future (re: make more $$$) through additional movies, tv shows, books, or other media. No need to lock something in this early if not totally necessary to tell the story.

Would more backstory be nice? Sure. But as mentioned blowing up the planet was primarily to show the power of the First Order...just like blowing up Alderaan in A New Hope was to show the power of the Empire. It is not like in that movie we were given a ton of backstory on the politics of the galaxy (other than a throw away the Senate has been dissolved or something like that in the beginning of the movie) or even Alderaan.

LSZH34

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:44 pm

Just came back from the theatre and I gotta say... AMAZING movie. When that music kicked in at the start, I got goosebumps.

Anyone died of BB-8's cuteness overload?  I felt so sorry for him, always getting chased around and had to fear for his parts on Jakku  

As far as the end concerns: I guess Luke will train Rey now to become a Jedi. If yes, she's gonna be the first female Jedi right?!

sammyk

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 125):
As far as the end concerns: I guess Luke will train Rey now to become a Jedi. If yes, she's gonna be the first female Jedi right?!

No, there were many female Jedi before her.

Silver1SWA

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Anyone died of BB-8's cuteness overload?

No, I didn't die but immediately added him to my Christmas list. Thanks to my girlfriend for coming through. 
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

DocLightning

Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:30 am

Anyone died of BB-8's cuteness overload?  I felt so sorry for him, always getting chased around and had to fear for his parts on Jakku  

I thought Artoo was cuter, personally.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

casinterest

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:51 pm

I finally saw the film yesterday. When I left the theatre, I had to reflect a bit on what I saw. I wasn't happy with the Star Killer line, but I did like the reintroduction of a lot of old and new characters. There is a lot of mystery there, and there is a lot of development left for the heroes and the villains in this story arc. Great shots and good effects.

I might have to go see the movie again to fully let it digest. Everything was so quick. There were a lot of set pieces and transitions in this movie. I think it will stand up a bit better on a second viewing.

I liked the idea that all is not well in the First Order: They have stormtroopers that defect, and a leadership that makes mistakes.

The Snoke storyline will have to develop more, but I get the impression that Kylo Ren is not all that he wants. Kylo/Ben is very unsure of himself, and I think this reflects why Rey had the upper hand on him.

Kylo is still seeking affirmation of some sort, and I think he is going to be more lost in the next Episode than he ever was here now that he has killed his father, and possibly finds out that Snoke is more interested in Rey.

Rey has every reason to be stronger. She has been in control of herself and her emotions throughout this movie, and her ability to overcome Kylo's mind probe, and her self actuated escape gave her far more confidence in that final showdown.

Finn: Good character that has every reason to run and be afraid, but yet finds himself unable to separate from the mission fully. Pretty much the new Han Solo.

Han Solo: Good to see him back in action. Couldn't help thinking back to the line, "it's not the years honey, It's the mileage " from Indiana Jones. Well now it is both. His story arc was central to this movie. He is the transport arc for the connection of Dark and Light. However in this movie he has more responsibility for how the dark side has formed.

Cameron Poe: Kind of the Wedge Antilles of this movie. Not a deep character yet. Just one that is a very sure pilot.

Leia: Not much in this movie. More the wizened and hardened mother/freedom fighter. More character from her would have been nice.

General Huck: I have to agree with all those that say this guy reminds them of Tarkin. Very sure of his skill, and not all that impressed by Kylo.

BB8: Good new droid
C3PO: Good limited use of him
R2D2: Deep hibernation? Seriously?
Where ever you go, there you are.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 129):
I liked the idea that all is not well in the First Order: They have stormtroopers that defect, and a leadership that makes mistakes.

I think that this is a really great portrayal of the new Dark Side. In the Original Trilogy it almost didn't seem human that they could make huge mistakes like then be completely infallible the next confrontation. In that respect they brought a human element to a movement in the Galaxy that is trying to gain traction in order to dominate. In contrast with the Empire, which made bumbling mistakes that didn't always necessarily make sense (many of which are pointed out by the Family Guy spoofs).

neutrino
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Just back from a third viewing and here's some mundane thoughts/musings. The people behind the movie should be commended for bringing back the original ANH supporting cast members like Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and even Kenny Baker who did not even appear before the cameras but is listed only as "R2-D2 consultant". In fact all three's services could be dispensed with if the producers/director are less "warmhearted".

Though some of the earlier SW movies had stand-ins for Chewbacca, they were mainly not in front of the cameras except for maybe a few long or very athletic shots.
However due to Peter Mayhew's advanced age and more pertinently, his weak knees, I believe his double Joonas Suotamo is Chewie more than Mayhew in TFA as the latter have to rely on his walking stick to move around. As such I tried spotting the "two Chewies", and believe the double has more screen time the original. Some of the scenes such as Chewie carrying Finn up the MF ramp are very easy to discern. I believe the Mayhew Chewie appeared only in the static and upper body shots. Even the upright standing ones are more of the double's; in high probability.
Joonas at 6'10' is some 4" shorter than Peter but that difference could be mitigated by the wearing of "lifts".

ikramerica

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:49 pm

It looks like it will make it into the top 20 adjusted gross by the end of the run. But if you look at the list TFA lacks something that the rest had:

- it will not influence the culture. There will be no memorable lines or scenes that are repeated and spoofed decades later. No spinning head like the exorcist, phone home, spinning in a meadow, giant rolling ball/face melting, scared Virgin as seen through a womans leg/pounding on church glass, I am your father/may the force be with you/metal bikini, King of the world, holding baby in the air, shark fin dipping under water, vibrations causing your glass of water to ripple, or even Scott Joplin+Sequence cards.

For all the marketing power, it's not an ICONIC film any more than Jurrasic World is. It will be forgotten as another money grab.

Granted it won't be remembered for bad reasons either.. "NOOOOO!!!" but ultimately it's a PG-13 film made for 9 year olds. The irony shouldn't be lost on anyone regarding that little disconnect.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Ozair

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 17):
I have to say I walked out of the theater not particularly impressed.

Finally saw it yesterday and agree wholeheartedly. The movie was essentially a remake of Episode 4 and frankly a poor one at that. Perhaps I am being harsh as the wife really enjoyed the movie and she didn't have 20+ years of expectations to live up to.

Made me cringe with so many scenes that essentially repeated the original series when they had so much potential, and had created some great and engaging characters, to simply rehash the old stuff.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:08 pm

If yes, she's gonna be the first female Jedi right?!
Quoting sammyk (Reply 126):

No, there were many female Jedi before her.

Correct - even within the revised canon, offhand you have the following female Jedi from the Prequel/Clone Wars era:

Depa Billaba
Barriss Offee
Aayla Secura
Bultar Swan
Ahsoka Tano
Shaak Ti
Luminara Unduli
Yaddle

And I'd venture there'd be dozens, if not hundreds, more if you include the former canon Expanded Universe.

But Rey would be the first female Jedi primary character.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

cjg225

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:31 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 133):
Made me cringe with so many scenes that essentially repeated the original series when they had so much potential, and had created some great and engaging characters, to simply rehash the old stuff.

Exactly my main problem with it, as well. For all of the crap the prequels pulled, at least they tried new things. They failed miserably, but they tried new things. This movie pulled so far into a conservative shell is didn't merely follow a formula, it flat-out Xeroxed the original movie and then applied some white-out so they could pencil in different names and change a couple small items.

This movie had the opportunity to take a mulligan on the prequels and try something *else* new and grand... and it said, "No thanks, we're good with repeating the past."

And that played, I guess. Vast majority of people love this film. For the life of me, I cannot understand why people are not only letting that copying slide but embracing it.

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 132):
For all the marketing power, it's not an ICONIC film any more than Jurrasic World is. It will be forgotten as another money grab.

Granted it won't be remembered for bad reasons either.. "NOOOOO!!!" but ultimately it's a PG-13 film made for 9 year olds. The irony shouldn't be lost on anyone regarding that little disconnect.

It's the Marvel-cation of the Star Wars franchise. All about the money, boys!

As a business person, I'd probably be all for that. As a fan, it makes me want to vomit.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

LSZH34

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:40 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 134):
But Rey would be the first female Jedi primary character.

Yeah I had that in mind actually...

NorthstarBoy

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:50 am

The only detail i felt Abrams missed from the original trilogy was the fact that the Milennium Falcon is a piece of flying junk. Compared to the original trilogy. when it would inexplicably shut down at critical times forcing Han Solo and Chewbacca to run around in panic mode trying to get the beast moving again before it and them were blown up, it seemed to run perfectly in this movie.

I did find the scenes surrounding the giant emoticon-octopus cross breeds running riot and eating everyone in sight pretty funny.

I was frankly shocked that they'd kill off Han Solo, I always thought he was the best/coolest of the original three main characters and to kill him off? That was just so wrong. I have read (on Wikipedia) that he will return in episode eight in some form but I cant imagine how. I mean if being run through by a light sabre didnt kill him surely falling hundreds of feet into an abyss would. Then again, Princess Leia would probably call him the human offspring of a cockroach, which, IMO, is what makes him such a great character. He doesn't have the innocence/moral purity of Luke or the purpose driven-ness of Leia.

Finally, considering that Han Solo and Princess Leia cant spend five minutes together in the same room without wanting to kill one another i assume that Ren and Rey were the product of a one night stand between Solo and Leia.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

EA CO AS

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 137):
The only detail i felt Abrams missed from the original trilogy was the fact that the Milennium Falcon is a piece of flying junk.

Huh? Did you miss Rey yelling, "What? That ship's garbage!" when running toward it?

WIederling

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:47 pm

The movie is to a part a recreation of the First ( 4th chronol.) episode.

But the recreation is in the episode like pacific islanders doing Cargo Cult!

Tatooine was in the Boondocks but here we see no productive activity.
Only scanvenging on a 30 year old planetwide military scrapyard with
the wrecks and leftovers of an orbital battle.

Most everybody appears hamfisted and amateurish.

Stormtroopers are now just "borrowed orphans" and not carefully created and trained clones anymore.

the Super Baddy appearing as an oversized "Lincoln Thinker" is another primitive overstatement
inside the movie. The guy in realitiy probably doesn't reach over a table top  

Ep 1..3 a vast body of civilisations "The Republic" just beyond its best time of expansion and creativity going into the first inclings of decadence.

Ep 4..6 The Empire builds on the impetus of its predecessor but is uncreative and acts in a decaying universe.

Ep 7 ...

Did we see any new built high quality droid brains in any of the Episodes?
R2D2 is older than any episode and C3PO is built up from old scrap.
the "Roger, Roger" dimwit Droids from the DroidArmies don't count for much imho.

Star Wars portrays the decay of a civilisation Is it a mirror for us, the living?

Same scope, different taking : Asimov's Foundation
Murphy is an optimist

Revelation

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 139):
Stormtroopers are now just "borrowed orphans" and not carefully created and trained clones anymore.

Fortunately their helmets have changed just enough so that kids need to buy a new set of toys, but their bodies haven't changed so the rest of the toy making machines can stay the same.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

neutrino
Topic Author

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:01 pm

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 137):

The only detail i felt Abrams missed from the original trilogy was the fact that the Milennium Falcon is a piece of flying junk. Compared to the original trilogy. when it would inexplicably shut down at critical times forcing Han Solo and Chewbacca to run around in panic mode trying to get the beast moving again before it and them were blown up, it seemed to run perfectly in this movie.

Its been some thirty years since the Battle of Endor and, the MF was stolen from Han a few years (let's say about five) before the events of TFA. During that quarter century, Han must/should have done some D checks or whatever the SW equivalent and put in further improvements bringing the old bucket of rusting bolts up to speed. Granted it would have deteriorated somewhat in Unkar Plutt's hands but it was also inferred (remember the mention of compressor) the craft was at least minimally maintained, maybe mainly by Rey (in exchange for some misery portions of ration), as she exhibited more than a passing familiarity with the old "garbage". The MF still does not run perfectly - contrary to your assertion - as it exhibited quite a few malfunctions, both before and after Han's appearance, which Rey duly corrected. And rest assured the old freighter will continue to serve well, if not exemplarily, under Rey's more attentive eyes and hands in further episodes.

WIederling

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Quoting neutrino (Reply 141):

I see a different explanation :
Han and Chewy have their toy tinkered to death.
Always fixing things with the most brilliant "SuperSchlau" solutions
that tend to break at the most inappropriate moments.

they both are bright enough to fix it fast but not bright enough to fix it good  

Thus the MF being in posession of someone else is more of a respite than a reprise.

!?  
Murphy is an optimist

bmacleod

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 129):
Cameron Poe: Kind of the Wedge Antilles of this movie. Not a deep character yet. Just one that is a very sure pilot.

Actually, his name is Poe Dameron,

Cameron Poe was Nicholas Cage's character in 1997's Con-Air where hell-bent prisoners led by John Malkovich take over a prisoner transport plane leaving only Poe to take the plane back.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

ikramerica

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 135):

The storm troopers dancing at the rose parade while Mickey Mouse sang were a bit much...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

sammyk

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:34 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 139):

The Stormtroopers in the OT were not clones either.

WIederling

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:45 pm

Quoting sammyk (Reply 145):
The Stormtroopers in the OT were not clones either.

Not? you err Sir !?

The Clone Army was the Trojan Horse designed for use by the Republic.
... and the design template for all the following stormtrooper types
from "A New Hope" onwards.
Murphy is an optimist

sammyk

Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:01 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 146):
Not? you err Sir !?

The Clone Army was the Trojan Horse designed for use by the Republic.
... and the design template for all the following stormtrooper types
from "A New Hope" onwards.

Where is that from?

neutrino
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:15 am

Quoting sammyk (Reply 147):

Where is that from?

From Star Wars: Special WIederling Edition.

sammyk

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 am

Quoting neutrino (Reply 148):
From Star Wars: Special WIederling Edition.

I see. Explains why it is incorrect.