Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DfwRevolution

RE: "Affluenza" Drunk Teen On The Run From Arrest

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 48):
Yup. Whomever replaced that idiotic judge will drop the shithammer on this dude, and rightfully so.

See blueflyer's excellent post #9. The judge in the original trial was by no means idiotic. Let's recall that:

1. The kid was found guilty. He "got away" with nothing.

2. The kid was legally a child when he killed/injured those people, so there was limited sentencing options available to the judge. Within those constraints, the judge picked the option that kept him under state supervision for the longest time.

3. Lo and behold, Mr. No Judgement screwed-up his parole and he will now do hard time. His life is basically over.

My only criticism with the original sentence is that it failed to recognize the danger Couch presented to the rest of the public. He clearly lacked remorse for his actions which meant he was liable to be a repeat offender. Thankfully he didn't drive drunk again and get more people killed.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Alias1024

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 48):
Yup. Whomever replaced that idiotic judge will drop the shithammer on this dude, and rightfully so.

Turned out that idiotic judge was right. They knew the likelihood he'd screw up again during a long probation and the far stiffer penalties if he did, and thought that was a better choice than a short stint in juvenile detention and an expunged record.

This kid will be in jail for a long time because of the decision that judge made. Well that and the kid being a moron.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

seb146

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 50):
The kid was legally a child when he killed/injured those people

Aren't there circumstances where older teens can be tried as adults? Because he was drunk and on drugs and killed four, this *should* have been cause enough to try him as an adult. This is where the system failed. Or the system recognized his is a rich White male.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DfwRevolution

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 52):
Aren't there circumstances where older teens can be tried as adults? Because he was drunk and on drugs and killed four, this *should* have been cause enough to try him as an adult

I am no lawyer, but apparently Texas law does not allow children to be tried as adults for manslaughter.

This is where the system failed. Or the system recognized his is a rich White male.

The judicial system worked. He was found guilty and given the maximum punishment under the law. Are you saying that the law is too lenient or are you saying certain people should be deprived of due process because of their race or class?

The moderators tend to frown on racist postings (edit) if the latter.

[Edited 2015-12-29 08:50:50]

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 45):
To a resort town full of Americans. Clearly not the brightest people out there.

I dunno... there's an old statement "To hide a leaf, conceal it in a forest."

Perhaps in their minds: a scrawny pasty-white strawberry-blond boy would horribly stick out, just about anywhere he went; so best go to a place with the most amount of other white people in the general area.

His life is basically over.

Hardly.

Even if he does the oft-mentioned maximum time that he's likely to get, he'll be out before he's thirty.
And with money/equity. Plenty of time to start over and make a decent life for himself.

The judge in the original trial was by no means idiotic.
Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 51):
Turned out that idiotic judge was right.

I dunno. As prior stated, the kid showed no remorse; and as made apparent by the video that started all of this, he STILL made bad choices and the parents STILL had poor supervision.

It's fortunate that he got busted early, but who's to say that he wouldn't have driven drunk yet again, and killed/maimed even more people?
Would that judge have seemed so wise in his strategy, then?   
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Ken777

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Quoting WIederling (Reply 44):
How is the civil liabilities side handled here?
Does he have to support his victims?

There is sufficient funds available for Trial Lawyers to go after it. If no suits have been filed then I can see the layers getting on it very fast.

The interesting issue point would be who had custody of the kid when he killed those people? If the mother then lawyers are going to go for a double dip - criminal & civil. Best result would be for her to come out of prison broke because of legal costs and jury awards

Quoting wingman (Reply 47):
On the bright side he'll be out before 30 and the affluenza will still be waiting for him.

Time for trial lawyers to get that affluenza for the families of the victims he killed.

Quoting Acheron (Reply 49):
Of course some people are bound to be more lenient on him.

His first conviction is under his belt with another (for fleeing) coming up. Best part is that his mother gets to spend some time in jail. Both have proven that they are a flight risk so, with luck, there will be no bail.

canoecarrier

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 54):
he STILL made bad choices and the parents STILL had poor supervision.

IMO the failure in parenting happened long ago. If he's 18 now the parents have no legal responsibility to supervise him and he should own any mistakes he's making now that he's legally an adult.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Alias1024

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:44 pm

I dunno. As prior stated, the kid showed no remorse; and as made apparent by the video that started all of this, he STILL made bad choices and the parents STILL had poor supervision.

It's fortunate that he got busted early, but who's to say that he wouldn't have driven drunk yet again, and killed/maimed even more people?
Would that judge have seemed so wise in his strategy, then?

I thought about that, but what would have prevented him from doing that after being released from juvenile detention? He would have been out at 18 with no supervision whatsoever. The probation forces good behavior to a much older age as he continues to mature, and ensures a stiff sentence if he proves incapable of keeping on the straight and narrow.

It was a risk that he might do something tragic again between his sentencing and age 18, but the odds were in the favor of the judge's choice.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

scbriml

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:09 pm

Even if he does the oft-mentioned maximum time that he's likely to get, he'll be out before he's thirty. And with money/equity. Plenty of time to start over and make a decent life for himself.

Yeah, but his ass will never be the same again.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ltbewr

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:10 pm

As others have stated here and elsewhere, the initial 10 year probation sentence was the only real penalty available to the Judge due to his being under 18 at the time of his horrible criminal act and then Texas State law.

As the probation violation occurred after age 18, including leaving the USA or even the state, apparently Texas State Law allows for a jail sentence of up to 10 years. I am not sure where he would be sent to, perhaps even a juvenile facility as the original crime occurred when under 18 although over 18 at the time of the probation violation.

I suspect the mother may face Texas State and possible US Federal violations for aiding an abetting a fugitive or similar laws. I hope the Feds get paid back their costs and prosecutes to the limits with jail the mother including massive fines to impoverish them.

I don't know if the father lives with his wife and son, I suspect he may not, but he did cooperate with police and other Law Enforcement officials in the search for his son and wife.

I do suspect the next time the Texas legislature meets, they will change the law as to those under 18 with vehicular manslaughter and DWI (which for minors is not .08 for adults, but likely .01) to be subject to jail same as an adult or at least to age 21 in a juvenile facility.

ER757

Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 pm

As wonderful and fitting as it would be to have this punk tossed in the state pen for 10 years, the reality is that he'll more than likely end up in a "country club" prison with white-collar criminals like guys who embezzled from their company etc. With the lawyers his family can afford, I don't see him doing hard time although he certainly should

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 60):
With the lawyers his family can afford, I don't see him doing hard time although he certainly should

He already GOT that reprieve, and then proceeded to screw it up.

I definitely see him doing hard time now, as there's no way they can keep this under wraps. Everyone in the nation knows what's going on, and even Texans aren't supportive of this little shit-stain.

BreninTW

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:17 am

The BBC is reporting that he held a "farewell party" prior to fleeing, as well as dyed his hair and beard in order to escape, indicating that this was premeditated.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:05 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 62):
indicating that this was premeditated

Even more reason why he's not getting out of spending time in the slammer, now.

This also appears to be the first confirmation that the mother will face charges as well.

seb146

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:57 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 53):
The judicial system worked.

So, if anyone under 18 murders in Texas, they can just lead a normal life? No punishment other than a slap on the wrist? People wonder why younger people do not respect authority.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 53):
Texas law does not allow children to be tried as adults for manslaughter.

That makes no sense. There are cases when I can see crimes committed by juveniles should be tried as juveniles. But this guy murdered four, driving while drunk, as a minor, and injured others. There are juveniles in other states who would have been tried as adults. And rightly so, IMO.

us330

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:12 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 63):
This also appears to be the first confirmation that the mother will face charges as well.

Charged with a third degree felony. Could face 2-10 years in prison. Parents are not together and the dad cooperated with law enforcement.

jacobin777

Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 65):
Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 63):

Charged with a third degree felony. Could face 2-10 years in prison. Parents are not together and the dad cooperated with law enforcement.

Something of interest:

"Couch would then face up to 120 days in an adult jail, followed by 10 years' probation. If he violates probation, he could face up to 10 years in prison per death, Wilson said."

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/12/2...1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1557698763
"Up the Irons!"

L410Turbolet

Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:14 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 17):
all you consistently do is prove that you don't know anything about race in America or the way that many police departments treat whites versus blacks.

Then please don't be a hypocrite and spare us your clueless, US-centric posts about migrant crisis in Europe, will ya?

MD11Engineer

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 66):
Something of interest:

"Couch would then face up to 120 days in an adult jail, followed by 10 years' probation. If he violates probation, he could face up to 10 years in prison per death, Wilson said."

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/12/2...98763

Ouch! This would mean 40 years in prison, if they really slam down on him. Getting out at the age of 58? life is over!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Revelation

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 68):
Getting out at the age of 58? life is over!

Ahem! If life is over at 58, I'm only a few years from the end! 
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

seb146

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 66):

That is insane. He was drunk as a minor and killed four. He should be in adult jail now. But, Texas....

The whole idea that he didn't know right from wrong is complete and utter bull pucky, too.

ER757

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:18 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 61):
I definitely see him doing hard time now,

It's not certain - looks like his lawyers are already at work. And he's still likely to be treated as a juvenile - see this article:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/12/30/m...n-mom-pair-heading-to-texas-today/

jacobin777

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Ouch! This would mean 40 years in prison, if they really slam down on him. Getting out at the age of 58? life is over!

That's only if he violates his probation a second time and he gets maximum penalty. From the article it seems he would only get 120 days in jail followed by probation.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 69):

LOL...I don't think that's what MD11Engineer meant. "Life being over" that basically freedom is gone until most people come close to retirement.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 70):
The whole idea that he didn't know right from wrong is complete and utter bull pucky, too.

"Up the Irons!"

DfwRevolution

Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 64):
So, if anyone under 18 murders in Texas, they can just lead a normal life? No punishment other than a slap on the wrist? People wonder why younger people do not respect authority.

Murder is a different crime than manslaughter.

That makes no sense. There are cases when I can see crimes committed by juveniles should be tried as juveniles. But this guy murdered four, driving while drunk, as a minor, and injured others. There are juveniles in other states who would have been tried as adults. And rightly so, IMO.

According to the law, he didn't commit murder. He committed manslaughter.

There are different sentencing options for these different crimes.

Even if he does the oft-mentioned maximum time that he's likely to get, he'll be out before he's thirty. And with money/equity. Plenty of time to start over and make a decent life for himself.

That's possible, but I don't think it's likely.He's now got an adult criminal record. He has the nation's public scorn. Now his mother is in legal trouble. The state and feds will be watching all of them like hawks and they will go after any jail time or assets they can.

I don't disagree, in fact I shared your exact same concern about the threat he posed to society. But, I have yet to hear a better legal outcome the judge could have created given the laws on the books.

As much as I despise the twerp, I am not going to advocate that our prosecutors and judges pursue punishments outside the law because the perp is unlikable.

Okie

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Interesting they caught him because of his cell phone tied to his account at a Pizza chain that also sells pizza in PVR.

It looks like the mom and the kid are fighting extradition back to the US.
That could take a while in Mexico if you have a lot of finances.

Seems like the Luster guy avoided being sent back to the US from PVR until the TV bounty hunter "Dog" snatched him up.

Okie

Kiwirob

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 6):
It has nothing to do with race, everything to do with money and social class.

If he was black and poor he would be in jail.
If he was white but poor he would be in jail.
If he was black and rich he would be exactly where he is now.

Lawyers discriminate only by the size of your bank account and expensive lawyers keep you out of jail.

This!!

Funny that I was arguing that everyone isn't equal and was shot down in flames and here we go a prime example of how unequal the US is, btw this kinda thing happens all over the world, wealthy people (of any colour) get out of incidents with little of no punishment.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 41):
You say that as if Cosby is somehow out of the water...

He was charged today.

MD11Engineer

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:15 pm

Getting out at the age of 58? life is over!

But I hope that you spent the last 40 years doing something worthwile, not p*ssing them away.

Jan

scbriml

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:32 pm

OMG, my life will be over on Friday!   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Revelation

Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:25 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 76):

But I hope that you spent the last 40 years doing something worthwile, not p*ssing them away.

I was going to say I did do something worthwhile, but then I noticed I'm coming up on 15,000 posts on a.net so I changed my mind. Clearly I pissed the years away!  

Hmm, MD11Engineer, you're coming up on 15,000 posts too! 

Ken777

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:05 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 74):
That could take a while in Mexico if you have a lot of finances.

Looks like Mom has been deported. Far easier and faster than all the legal battle. Hopefully Little Rich Boy will spend the rest of his time in Mexico in Mexican jails. He could stay there for a few years before heading to US courts as far as I'm concerned.

StarAC17

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:00 am

That makes no sense. There are cases when I can see crimes committed by juveniles should be tried as juveniles. But this guy murdered four, driving while drunk, as a minor, and injured others.

Also he did steal the booze that got him drunk that time, there were multiple crimes here not just the DUI causing death.

You know it really isn't as you do learn right from wrong in the home and maybe at school (and the ability to discipline in the school is decreasing). However I would argue that an inner city black kid whom is caught dealing weed whom has no dad and a mom whom works 3 jobs to get by probably could justify the same circumstance that the parents didn't teach right from wrong because they were not able to.

The difference is that the inner city black kid doesn't have the resources to prove that case where Couch did.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 79):
Looks like Mom has been deported. Far easier and faster than all the legal battle. Hopefully Little Rich Boy will spend the rest of his time in Mexico in Mexican jails.

Why would Mexico have any reason to incarcerate him? He hasn't committed any crime in Mexico that would give them reason to.

Now if he was to stay in Mexico and commit an crime there then yeah put him in a Mexican jail. Also why would the Mexican government refuses extradition in this case. The only reason that friendly nations with the US refuse extradition is because there is a good chance a fugitive is going to receive the death penalty or an obscene sentence for a petty crime.

Quoting Okie (Reply 38):
Sort of like Joran van der Sloot. Probably to a non-extradite country to the US.

Did he commit any crime in the US?

He got caught commiting another crime elsewhere and was convicted for that.

His life is basically over.

Hardly.

Even if he does the oft-mentioned maximum time that he's likely to get, he'll be out before he's thirty.
And with money/equity. Plenty of time to start over and make a decent life for himself.

He likely gets sent to a prison where he comes out with an education and with his likely family connections he gets to start life exactly where he left it 10 years later.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

seb146

Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:21 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 80):
you do learn right from wrong in the home and maybe at school

So his parents didn't care about him and he went to private school. I learned right from wrong with both parents around (my father worked nights and was not really around because of that) and went to public school where we were taught those things. By a combination of peers and staff.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 73):
There are different sentencing options for these different crimes.

Four lives were taken. I know he was given the lesser sentence. Good for him. He has money. Which is more important in this country. It still makes no sense to me that he takes four lives and makes a fifth life hell so he gets to wander the world? How is that punishment? How is that justice? And, when he returns, the State of Texas will just say "oh, well..." and send him home. WTF is this about?

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:47 am

I'm still in shock, more than anything, about his parents not getting charged with contributing to his delinquency or something of similar nature.

I mean, the tapes of them both admitting that he was provided/allowed Vicodin, Oxycontin, Vyvanse, etc are all damning enough.

AR385

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:48 am

Why would Mexico have any reason to incarcerate him? He hasn't committed any crime in Mexico that would give them reason to.

2 reasons:

1)

The extradition treaty between the US and México is essentially designed for big fish narcs, it is a lot more complex and "cooperative" than other treaties. If the Texas prosecution has made a case to the Jalisco State Prosecution that this idiot has been PROVEN in a court of law in Texas to be a felon and his reason for being in PVR is to have absconded from the legal consequences of such felony, to the Jalisco State he is a felon and although extradition procedures may be delayed, Jalisco State considers him worthy to remain in jail.

2)

The other reason is that he entered Mexico illegally. Sure, he stated in his border VISA that he entered Mexico for "pleasure" but he lied, as he entered Mexico as a fleeing felon. Lying on the actual reason for entering Mexico is automatic grounds for deportation and a "serious crime" in Mexican law. So, pending deportation he is in a jail.

See above.

The only reason that friendly nations with the US refuse extradition is because there is a good chance a fugitive is going to receive the death penalty or an obscene sentence for a petty crime.

At least for Mexico, that went out the window when Texas, voiding all such US Federal treaties and making a mockery of the US as a coherent nation, reneged on their promise not to kill an extradited Mexican citizen. Ever since, Mexico only extradites Mexican citizens to the US to face Federal prosecution.

Okie

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:09 pm

There are US charges against him.
Peru has indicated they will extradite him to the US at the end of his 28 year sentence.
Your guess is as good as mine what the dynamics of the situation will be 20+ years down the road.

Okie

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Yes. He tried to extort Beth Twitty (Natalie Holloway's mother) for more than a quarter million bucks, in return for alleged information on what happened to her daughter.

He's charged as such.

slider

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:35 pm

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 62):
The BBC is reporting that he held a "farewell party" prior to fleeing, as well as dyed his hair and beard in order to escape, indicating that this was premeditated.

Oooooh boy, that means he's not going to country club jail. He's going to 'pound you in the ass' prison.

Good for him. Insolent little shit. That's a bad seed right there.

MD11Engineer

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:51 pm

A former neighbour of mine has spent two years in prison here in Germany for having smuggled 8 kgs of cocaine into the country. This person, an elderly woman, said that in prison it is not "What do you want?" but "These are the rules, you'll obey or you'll get punished" (e.g. by removing comforts down to being locked up alone in a bare concrete cell).
He is going to have a very steep learning curve there.

Jan

Okie

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:58 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 87):
He is going to have a very steep learning curve there.

He will be going to a Texas state prison. I believe they are pretty notorious for being rough.
I doubt he will be going to a federal country club facility.

Okie

ER757

Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:37 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 86):
he's not going to country club jail.
Quoting Okie (Reply 88):
I doubt he will be going to a federal country club facility.

I really, REALLY hope you guys are right, but I fear that he will in fact be in the country club type of jail.
Even about six months' hard time would almost certainly scare him straight and who knows, maybe even redeem this little weasel.

StarAC17

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:22 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 85):
Yes. He tried to extort Beth Twitty (Natalie Holloway's mother) for more than a quarter million bucks, in return for alleged information on what happened to her daughter.

Didn't know that, I should read up on that. I reckon he does deserve the chair in any country really.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

Ken777

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:42 am

Why would Mexico have any reason to incarcerate him?

is return to Texas.

First he lied on his reason for entry into Mexico.

Just as important, if he is most uncomfortable in a Mexican jail he will be less inclined to drag out legal battles against him. He is basically burden on the Mexican Court System and that Court system really doesn't want any BS from that spoiled brat

Also why would the Mexican government refuses extradition in this case.

They won't. That want the guy gone (look how fast Momma was deported).

He likely gets sent to a prison where he comes out with an education and with his likely family connections he gets to start life exactly where he left it 10 years late

He can take courses while in prison but reality is that he cannot get a job in any profession after he gets out. No professional board will ever give him a license. His record might even keep him from getting a job at Walmart. Hopefully Dad will come through with some money and training on how to operate a small business. Who is going to hire a drunk/killer?

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:05 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 90):
Didn't know that, I should read up on that.

He also tried to sell her alleged corpse back to the mother too:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n-der-sloot-natalee_n_6355454.html

rfields5421

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:37 am

Quoting WIederling (Reply 44):
How is the civil liabilities side handled here?
Does he have to support his victims?

He has no civil liabilities in a case like this. As a minor, his parents are responsible for his actions.

That benefits the victims and families - because the kid had no real assets. However, Mom has some independent money, Dad owns a very profitable business (with a piece apparently belonging to Mom from the divorce settlement).

The parents (and their insurance companies) have made out of court consent settlements with the families of the four people killed. Estimates vary, but the settlements are likely in the mid-seven figure range for each victim. There were also settlements for the families of two young children riding with one of the victims who were in his truck that was hit by Couch. Their injuries were very minor, but there was a financial settlement. There might have been settlements with some of the other minor injury people. There were several people in the truck with Couch.

The biggest settlement is for the family of the young man riding in the bed of Couch's pickup. He suffered a brain injury and is unable to move and barely conscious. The settlement with his family is open-ended financially, based upon the medical needs for that boy for the rest of his life.

Estimates from knowledgable people given in some of the Dallas/ Fort Worth media are that his mother has paid over $1 million, and his father close to $5 million of their personal funds, along with about $20 million from their insurance companies for this case. One estimate is that they paid almost $1 million for his lawyers/ defense.

Aren't there circumstances where older teens can be tried as adults? Because he was drunk and on drugs and killed four, this *should* have been cause enough to try him as an adult. This is where the system failed. Or the system recognized his is a rich White male.

Repeat offenders in several catagories can have their trials moved to adult court. For a first time offender, there has to be an easily provable pre-meditated act. Couch being drunk doesn't meet the pre-meditated act definition of murder in any of the US states, nor most other nations.

That is insane. He was drunk as a minor and killed four. He should be in adult jail now.

In most of the 50 US states, that would not be an option. It's not only Texas.

The key factor is that this was his 'first' criminal offense.

The crime was involuntary manslaughter. That the deaths were the result of a mistake by Couch while driving which caused him to lose control of his truck. Even though he was drunk, there was no criminal intent to kill anyone or harm anyone. It was not a pre-meditated act which caused the deaths and injuries.

Now his being rich might have something to do with his charges and sentence.

Being rich enough to afford good lawyers ensures that the law will be strictly followed.

Being poor with an overworked court appointed inexperienced lawyer could result in the defendant being scared into accepting an adult trial with a pre-approved adult jail sentence. The poor smuck would not know that the prosecutor couldn't get away with such things as life in prison or the death penalty. That the prosecution couldn't charge him with first or second degree murder. Often when you hear about a poor, or non-white, defendant getting a very harsh sentence for a first time offense, prosecution threats have scared the defendant into agreeing to a guilty plea and sentence that would never be given at trial, nor that any good attorney could not get thrown out.

One of the 'problems' with the justice system in the US is that when a defendant pleads guilty, they have no right to appeal after they learn that everything that convinced them to accept the prison time and avoid a trial - all the threats about what the jury would decide, the even harsher sentence a judge would give, were BS.

------------------

Now a lot of the news media like to talk about the prosecution asking for a 20 year sentence, and the judge giving probation.

That was the prosecutor playing a PR game with the media and the victims families. The district attorney office knows that a juvenile first offender will never be sentenced to adult jail. They never tried to move the case to adult court because it was a waste of resources. A 16 year old first offender is presumed to be reformable in Texas, and most other states.

If the judge had given the kid a 20 year sentence, he would serve less than two years in juvenile confinement. Then when he turns 19, his criminal record is completely erased. Unless he commits a felony while in prison. (That is what the kid mentioned as getting a 30 year sentence from the same judge is still in jail. Not because of the original sentence, but because he commited a violent felony while in juvenile confinement, and as a repeat offender charged with a pre-meditated crime, was eligible to be tried in adult court for that crime.)

The 10 year probation sentence carries past Couch's the age 19 free pass.

Mom will likely get an adult felony conviction out of this case. Couch may be placed in jail until his hearings, which the prosecution will delay as long as possible. He will likely be released with an ankle monitor, daily phone checkins and weekly blood tests for alcohol/ drug use. Violation of any of those restrictions will put him in jail as a repeat probation violator.

------------------

Just to be clear - I have no sympathy for the little twerp.

He is by all accounts a rich spoiled brat whose parents have done everything they can to ensure he never has to pay consequences for his behavior. He thinks he is above the law, and all the stupid 'poor' people. They get what they deserve, and he will never have to deal with any problems he causes.

I have great sympathy for the families of those killed and the young man who is a now a high-grade vegetable and his family.

But we do not have a justice system in the US, and many other nations, based upon revenge.

We have a justice system based on the idea that people who make mistakes and cause harm to others can be taught the error of their ways, and learn to be good productive members of society.

Couch's odds of doing that are smaller than a FRCH in my opinion, and as demonstrated by his recent actions. The probation sentence is perfect for such twerps, because it gives him enough rope to get him labeled a repeat offender and spend much of the rest of his life in jail.
Not all who wander are lost.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:00 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 93):
We have a justice system based on the idea that people who make mistakes and cause harm to others can be taught the error of their ways, and learn to be good productive members of society.

...which is why it's called a penal system, right?   

rfields5421

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:42 pm

I will admit at age 58, I was given an option to retire early, or see if my job would be eliminated. And I found that I was unwanted and unhireable in corporate IT in the United States.

Heck neither McDonalds nor Walmart would not hire me at age 58, they wanted me to be drawing Social Security before they would consider me worth training - that I wouldn't be there just while I looked for a better job.

But life wasn't over. Just my career.
Not all who wander are lost.

us330

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 83):
The other reason is that he entered Mexico illegally. Sure, he stated in his border VISA that he entered Mexico for "pleasure" but he lied, as he entered Mexico as a fleeing felon. Lying on the actual reason for entering Mexico is automatic grounds for deportation and a "serious crime" in Mexican law. So, pending deportation he is in a jail.

FWIW, he's not out enjoying himself while in Mexico. A recent Dallas Morning News article reported that he was just transferred to an immigration detainee facility in a poor part of Mexico City, where he is sleeping in communal areas and having to hand wash his own clothes etc. In other words, far from a country club prison.

This kid (and his mother) are a bunch of idiots. He is fighting extradition, but he may end up staying longer in a Mexican detainee facility with poorer conditions than the jail he would be sent to in Texas.

flyingclrs727

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 31):

This person was a teen at the time of his DWI caused manslaughter of 4. If instead at the same age he shot with a gun and killed them, I am sure the law would have allowed and prosecutor would have tried him as an adult and a significant jail term. The same crime done by someone who was 16-17 at the time but if done at the day they turned 18 meaning a difference of prohibition vs. felony jail term is somehow unfair to the victims. At the least he should have been put into juvenile detention until he turned 21.

I really can't understand why a DWI charge involving fatalities and grievous bodily injury should be allowed in juvenile court. Supposedly getting licensed to drive a motor vehicle is a mark of maturity and beginning to take on adult responsibilities.

My Texas state representative is the chairman of the calendar committee. I'll ask him about introducing legislation to require all DWI defendants in cases involving fatalities and serious injuries to be prosecuted as adulta the next time I see him.

flyingclrs727

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 96):

This kid (and his mother) are a bunch of idiots. He is fighting extradition, but he may end up staying longer in a Mexican detainee facility with poorer conditions than the jail he would be sent to in Texas.

Plus the the time spent in prison in Mexico might not be counted towards his probated sentence.

Revelation

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 93):
Estimates from knowledgable people given in some of the Dallas/ Fort Worth media are that his mother has paid over $1 million, and his father close to $5 million of their personal funds, along with about $20 million from their insurance companies for this case.
Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 95):
I will admit at age 58, I was given an option to retire early, or see if my job would be eliminated. And I found that I was unwanted and unhireable in corporate IT in the United States.

Heck neither McDonalds nor Walmart would not hire me at age 58, they wanted me to be drawing Social Security before they would consider me worth training - that I wouldn't be there just while I looked for a better job.

But life wasn't over. Just my career.

I strongly expect the same will happen for/to me over the next few years. When I first came to that realization I was pretty depressed. Luckily I've gotten that out of my system and will keep the ball rolling till the inevitable layoff happens, then try to figure out what's next. I expect finding another job of any kind is going to be difficult.