Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAX772LR
Topic Author

"Affluenza" Drunk Teen On The Run From Arrest

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:25 am

Remember this little turd?

The metal factory heir who drove drunk before he was even of age, KILLED FOUR PEOPLE, and got away with nothing but probation, because his lawyers successfully argued "affluenza"-- the condition of being so wealthy that you don't understand that actions can have negative consequences.

This was the sole survivor among the victims:

Well, now the kid and his mother have skipped town, and are thought to have fled the country.

Turns out that his friends aren't all that bright. They'd posted a video on Twitter of them drinking while playing beer pong, all underage, and smashing a table. He can clearly be seen among them: a violation of his probation.

After failure to report to his probation officer to explain the incident, arrest warrants were put out for him.

...............KARMA, ya little mofo.
She's a bitch, and she's coming for you!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

seb146

RE: "Affluenza" Drunk Teen On The Run From Arrest

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:01 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Thread starter):
KARMA, ya little mofo.

He is white and rich. His punishment will be akin to being booked on Jet Blue and being given a seat on Virgin America. He is white and rich. He will hear "tut tut... just don't to that again, silly britches!" as the judge winks at the parents who smile back.

But there is no such thing as white privilege in America.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:08 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 1):
He is white and rich. His punishment will be akin to being booked on Jet Blue and being given a seat on Virgin America. He is white and rich. He will hear "tut tut... just don't to that again, silly britches!" as the judge winks at the parents who smile back.

He'd ALREADY gotten that, hence the outrage.

He was 3 times the legal limit (for an adult, more for a child) and on Valium, killed four people, and his only punishment was to go to a swanky "rehab" facility where he played video games all day. Never even had to wear an ankle bracelet.

I think there's zero chance he gets out of going to jail if/when he's caught again. Too many people know what's going on now.

[Edited 2015-12-17 23:38:48]

zkojq

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:26 am

...............KARMA, ya little mofo.

Good to see that he will finally spend some time behind bars.

This was the sole survivor among the victims:

Permanently paralyzed, I assume? Poor guy.  

I wonder how much a lawyer like that costs?
First to fly the 787-9

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:54 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 3):
Permanently paralyzed, I assume?

Yes, from neck down.

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 3):
I wonder how much a lawyer like that costs?

Here's the lawyer's page. Someone with more time can see if they can find whatever his fee is.

http://www.thompsoncoe.com/Attorneys/MichaelMikeAYanof

fr8mech

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:59 am

Remember this little turd?

Yes, I do.

We had a thread about this asshole back when it happened.

What Is Wrong With US Justice System? (by JoePatroni707 Dec 12 2013 in Non Aviation)

I made the point then and I'll make it again:

I'm not sure what you guys on the left are complaining about. This is liberalism at work. It's not this poor kid's fault he killed those folks. He's a product of his environment.

Isn't that what we always hear from the left? Of course, this time it didn't work did it? Usually, it's some poor minority child who goes to a failing, inner city school, who has no father figure, whose mother is a crack addict with 10 kids.

Was the family's money a factor? Of course it was. They were able to hire an extremely competent attorney that was able to successfully argue that 'affluenza' is an actual condition that excuses vehicular homicide due to DUI. The only reason that attorney was able to do that was because we have created an environment where a person does not have to take responsibility for his actions if there is even the smallest bit of circumstance that may have intervened.

It's disgusting.

It is a tragedy what happened to those four people. And, it is almost as tragic that this 16 year old will not receive the suitable punishment for his crime. He will have learned: nothing.

Now the asshole and his asshole mom are in the wind. Nice job Judge Boyd. Hopefully, no one is killed or injured before junior gets caught.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

QFA380

Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:13 am

It has nothing to do with race, everything to do with money and social class.

If he was black and poor he would be in jail.
If he was white but poor he would be in jail.
If he was black and rich he would be exactly where he is now.

Lawyers discriminate only by the size of your bank account and expensive lawyers keep you out of jail.

ltbewr

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:58 am

Overall, USA State Laws as to DWI, even with fatalities, are far more lax than almost all other countries and vary too much from state to state. Texas is particularly loose. Some states like NC and my home state of NJ are tougher, especially if DWI and under 21. This is further compounded by weak and uneven prosecution, sadly that those with money can fight charges and deals will be done.
This case is particularly offensive. He should have faced years in jail, It is head shaking he will get jail for violating probation if he is caught when he should have got it in the first place. I also think the Prosecutor and Judge should face discipline sanctions by the State authority that license attorneys, politicians should hold hearings to consider changes in the law to prevent such mal-justice in the future.

pvjin

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:15 pm

It's rich privilege, not white privilege. Money talks everywhere, particularly much in the US by western standards.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

blueflyer

Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 2):
He was 3 times the legal limit (for an adult, more for a child) and on Valium, killed four people, and his only punishment was to go to a swanky "rehab" facility where he played video games all day.
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 5):
It is a tragedy what happened to those four people. And, it is almost as tragic that this 16 year old will not receive the suitable punishment for his crime. He will have learned: nothing.

I happen to think the original verdict was brilliant. It is that verdict, and that verdict alone, that will land him in jail for many years.

Remember the original trial was in juvenile court. The judge could have sentenced him to 999 years in jail, and the kid would have still been out in less than two years when he turned 18. Furthermore, at the age of 21 (I think), he could have had his record expunged and any future offense would be treated as a first-time offense.

Probation, on the other hand, does not go away when one turns 18, nor can it be expunged. And Texas really does not like anyone who doesn't stick to the terms of their probation.

The way I see it, the judge traded the certainty of sending the kid to jail for a few months, for the likelihood affluenza will not be miraculously cured at 18 and the adult will screw up again within the next ten years, sending him into the adult court system!

Because he was under probation, he will do more time now than he would have if he had been sentenced to jail at his original trial.

[Edited 2015-12-18 05:32:43]

us330

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 9):
And Texas really does not like anyone who doesn't stick to the terms of their probation.

Which means that this kid is absolutely screwed once they catch him (and they will).

He's also obviously not that bright, because the video and the images never actually show him drinking a beer out of a labeled container--only out of a red solo cup--which means that his lawyer could have made a case that he didn't actually violate his probation. His failure to remain in contact with the probation officer, however, removes all doubt that the kid violated his probation.

Because he was under probation, he will do more time now than he would have if he had been sentenced to jail at his original trial

Interesting. Never thought of it that way. I'm curious as to why nobody has discussed this.

Flighty

Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 8):
It's rich privilege, not white privilege.

Race is one thing, money is another. Class is another. You can't generalize any association among the three.   

OA412

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:20 pm

I'm shocked, just shocked to hear this. I agree that Karma's a bitch, and this little turd will get his comeuppance.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 4):
Here's the lawyer's page. Someone with more time can see if they can find whatever his fee is.

He's a partner at a Dallas firm, so I'd estimate minimum $500/hour.

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 6):
It has nothing to do with race,

Sure it does. It all comes down to what a jury believes, and race will absolutely play a part in that, as will the jury's racial makeup. Blacks, even affluent Blacks, are far more likely to be dismissed as "thugs" than Whites.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 8):
It's rich privilege, not white privilege.

It's both.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

seb146

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 8):
It's rich privilege, not white privilege

There are wealthy blacks who do time and wealthy whites who get a slap on the wrist.

San Francisco just buried a black man who was holding a knife and shot 12 times by police. A tazer would have worked just fine.

Flighty

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 13):
There are wealthy blacks who do time and wealthy whites who get a slap on the wrist.

San Francisco just buried a black man who was holding a knife and shot 12 times by police. A tazer would have worked just fine.

Most of us believe there are examples of different police and prosecutorial treatment by race, but it is not very easy to run statistics on that.

For example, just because people live in a high crime neighborhood, they will be more likely to be stopped and searched (and therefore arrested) by police. This is largely because it is police's job to respond to and prevent crimes in high crime neighborhoods. That job cannot be done in low crime neighborhoods.

So even if things are done in a completely proper way, the statistics coming out can be displayed as if the police are targeting specific socio economic groups. Which not only might be untrue, but there might be no _evidence_ that it is true. This is seldom reported in a valid way.

wingman

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:18 pm

This kid is going to be the belle of the ball in Cell Block H. I bet they're fighting over priority as we speak.

pvjin

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:29 pm

I'm sure there are also wealthy whites who do time and wealthy blacks who get a slap on the wrist.

I'm sure a white person has been shot in the US in a similar situation. You and the liberal media just cherry picks ones that support their cause based on victim's skin colour. Sure, racism issues might exist in the US police forces, but claiming it's universal and that whites are always privileged is just dishonest and borderline racist.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

OA412

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 16):

You consistently insert yourself into these discussions of race relations in America, particularly as relates to police, and all you consistently do is prove that you don't know anything about race in America or the way that many police departments treat whites versus blacks. It's not a question of whether racism issues might exist in US police forces, they absolutely do exist in many departments across the country.

Have you actually spent time living in the United States? Have you spoken to American Blacks about their experiences with police?
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Mir

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm not sure what you guys on the left are complaining about. This is liberalism at work. It's not this poor kid's fault he killed those folks. He's a product of his environment.

Isn't that what we always hear from the left? Of course, this time it didn't work did it? Usually, it's some poor minority child who goes to a failing, inner city school, who has no father figure, whose mother is a crack addict with 10 kids.

I recall hearing that sort of thing with regard to low-level charges. I don't recall hearing anyone try to excuse a crime in which people died based on someone being a product of their environment.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

pvjin

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 17):

A bit like certain Americans who think they know something about the situation Europe is facing with refugees based on what's going on in the US with Mexican illegals.

I'm not an expert in the situation, I comment from an outside perspective. To me it's pretty clear a lot of racist social justice warriors are overly racializing an issue that in reality is much more complex than a black vs white matter. The key issue I see is lack of training and higher level of education among US police forces compared to those in Europe.

910A

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Considering the SFPD isn't allowed to use tasers, we will never know for sure.

After sentencing NBC should had a special law and order to see how Jack McCoy would have handled this.

Ken777

Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Because he was under probation, he will do more time now than he would have if he had been sentenced to jail at his original trial.

Considering the damage he has done to the victims I hope the Judge maxes out the sentence for going on the run and makes all possible terms consecutive.

The other interesting issue for me is did his mother help his "escape", leaving her open to criminal charges.

Currently the best thing I can see id for the curt to freeze all of their funds in various banks. Cut off the cash and seesaw long they can hide.

diverted

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 21):
The other interesting issue for me is did his mother help his "escape", leaving her open to criminal charges.

Currently the best thing I can see id for the curt to freeze all of their funds in various banks. Cut off the cash and seesaw long they can hide.

Especially since now that he's 18, she's aiding an adult convicted felon. This kid and his family are a bunch of POS' and I really hope they get whats coming to them.

johnboy

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:22 pm

It's so interesting to see everyone twist and contort themselves just to deny the existence of white privilege.

I'm sure it's everything under the sun except for that.  

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 6):
If he was black and rich he would be exactly where he is now.

Very doubtful.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 7):
politicians should hold hearings to consider changes in the law to prevent such mal-justice in the future.

Already done. Not only have many states passed laws disavowing "Affluenza" as a defense, but the American Psychological Association has officially stated that it recognizes no such condition-- meaning that the Feds aren't likely to recognize it as a defense either.

Quoting us330 (Reply 10):
which means that his lawyer could have made a case that he didn't actually violate his probation.

As was reported, his probation restricted him from being in the presence of alcohol being served without the supervision of a guardian, which didn't appear to be the case in the film.

Quoting OA412 (Reply 12):
Blacks, even affluent Blacks, are far more likely to be dismissed as "thugs" than Whites.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 16):
and wealthy blacks who get a slap on the wrist.

Give some examples.

seb146

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:41 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 20):
Considering the SFPD isn't allowed to use tasers, we will never know for sure.

Six officers with guns drawn vs. one man with a knife. No, I guess we will never know....

I am fine with them not getting near him. But, in this case, a tazer would have worked wonders.

us330

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:53 am

There's now a $5,000 reward out for him.

johns624

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:43 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 25):
I am fine with them not getting near him. But, in this case, a tazer would have worked wonders.

Wrong. You have to get too close to use a taser. Google "21 foot rule" sometime. Have you ever seen the damage that a knife can do with only one or two slashes. A knife is a deadly weapon. You respond in kind.

BMI727

Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:52 am

Tasers are great tools and have their place, but life and death situations is not that place.

A taser is an alternative to pepper spray, a baton or a hand-to-hand altercation. A taser is not an alternative to a firearm.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:56 am

Quoting us330 (Reply 26):
There's now a $5,000 reward out for him.

CNN just announced that the FBI and US Marshals are in on the hunt now too.

rfields5421

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:50 pm

because his lawyers successfully argued "affluenza"--
They were able to hire an extremely competent attorney that was able to successfully argue that 'affluenza' is an actual condition that excuses vehicular homicide due to DUI.

NO THEY DID NOT.

1. The kid was convicted. He didn't get off. But he was a juvenile at the time and was tried in juvenile court.

2. 'Affluenza was mentioned in passing by one psychologist in the sentencing phase of the trial. It was not a defense argued by his lawyers. However, it was a neat catch phrase for the news media - so it stays alive.

3. The judge gave him a sentence that the judge thought would keep him under state control for the longest possible time, making him never able to clear his record unless he successfully completed the probation.

What the kid had was the best lawyers that money could buy. High priced lawyers almost always get the best deals for their clients. Especially in Texas. I've watched a great many former prosecutors go into private criminal law practice, and get guilty clients reduced/ minimum sentences over and over and over during the past 30 years in the Dallas area.

Quoting us330 (Reply 10):
Interesting. Never thought of it that way. I'm curious as to why nobody has discussed this.

It has been discussed many times. But it is a complex issue, and the media doesn't bother with trying to explain complex issues. If it doesn't fit into a 20 second story, it doesn't get into the news.

It's not 'liberalism'. It good old fashioned rich kid family influence into the political system. Not liberal or conservative. Such poor little rich kid defense goes on in very conservative territory, including good 'conservative' Republican Texas judges, prosecutors and juries.
Not all who wander are lost.

ltbewr

Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:18 pm

This person was a teen at the time of his DWI caused manslaughter of 4. If instead at the same age he shot with a gun and killed them, I am sure the law would have allowed and prosecutor would have tried him as an adult and a significant jail term. The same crime done by someone who was 16-17 at the time but if done at the day they turned 18 meaning a difference of prohibition vs. felony jail term is somehow unfair to the victims. At the least he should have been put into juvenile detention until he turned 21.

rfields5421

Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 31):
This person was a teen at the time of his DWI caused manslaughter of 4. If instead at the same age he shot with a gun and killed them, I am sure the law would have allowed and prosecutor would have tried him as an adult and a significant jail term.

You are discussing two completely separate crimes. One is criminally negligent homicide, the other is first degree murder. In Texas, the law allows trying a person as an adult when their commit a serious crime. Unfortunately, Texas doesn't consider deaths in drunk driving accidents as a 'serious' crime if it is a first offense.

However, I will also agree, that the quality of the defense attorney the person can hire makes a huge difference to the prosecution as to whether or not to seek to try a juvenile as an adult. As one Texas county DA told me once - when looking at what charges to file, whether to try to get a juvenile tried as an adult, he has to look at how much money it is going to cost. If the 'defendant' or his/her family hires a really good lawyer, the prosecution will often not risk $100,000 - $250,000 of the taxpayers money trying to get the higher charge/ tried as an adult. They know very well that the more money spent on the defense, the greater the likelihood the defense will win.

At the least he should have been put into juvenile detention until he turned 21.

And at age 21, he should be free, and his record expunged as if he never committed a crime. That's what happened with the previous case often quoted - that the kid got a 20 year sentence. He served about 6 months, and was on probation until he was 21 - and his record is now clear.

That is the choice under Texas law - get off completely free upon turning 21, or get probation and likely re-offend or violate probation - allowing him to be locked up as an adult for much, much longer.

Alcohol related driving offenses frequently mean the defendant will re-offend at some point while on probation.

The majority of the time, a first offender, even if someone is killed, will be given probation in Texas. Heck, Texas often requires three or four offenses, with at least two separate fatal accidents, before a jury will put someone in jail.
Not all who wander are lost.

MD11Engineer

Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:23 pm

I assume there will be a "wanted" notice out with Interpol now as well, in case he left the US.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

cgnnrw

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:47 pm

What's also a shame is that becuase of this kid's stupid actions many future cases could be handled differently. By that I mean if another 16 year does something similiar judges, prosecutors will be under pressure to "throw the book" at the kid in order to send a mesage to the public how "tough" they are when it comes to dealing with minors. In other words he probably blew any chances for other teens for a second chance.
A330 man.

LMP737

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 33):
I assume there will be a "wanted" notice out with Interpol now as well, in case he left the US.

I suspect that this was a spur of the moment thing. They will have to have left a paper trail somewhere.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

DDR

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:24 pm

If they fled the country, I'm sure they didn't fly commercial so it may be harder to track them down. What happens if they went to a country that does not have an agreement with the U.S. to extradite?

LMP737

Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:29 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 36):
If they fled the country, I'm sure they didn't fly commercial so it may be harder to track them down. What happens if they went to a country that does not have an agreement with the U.S. to extradite?

If they flew on a private charter I bet you that company is going to let the authorities know.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Okie

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 36):

Sort of like Joran van der Sloot. Probably to a non-extradite country to the US.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 32):
The majority of the time, a first offender, even if someone is killed, will be given probation in Texas. Heck, Texas often requires three or four offenses, with at least two separate fatal accidents, before a jury will put someone in jail.

Same in Oklahoma. A minor is just going to have to use a weapon in a premeditated manner and commit murder to be brought to trial as an adult. Generally going to have to be pretty heinous on top of that. Pretty tall hurdle for the prosecution.

I think the judge was obviously well ahead of the curve when the length of the probation put him well into adulthood.

At the least he should have been put into juvenile detention until he turned 21.

Aw come on now where is your compassion. He was good kid going to rehab and enroll in college to turn his life around when he accidentally went to the wrong gate at the airport and ended up on a beach in Aruba.

Okie

MaverickM11

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:02 pm

What's most sad about this case, in addition to the deaths of course, is that it will make other cases that much harder to find reasonable punishments, particularly for people who can't afford the high caliber lawyers this family could afford.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 30):
2. 'Affluenza was mentioned in passing by one psychologist in the sentencing phase of the trial. It was not a defense argued by his lawyers. However, it was a neat catch phrase for the news media - so it stays alive.

What the kid had was the best lawyers that money could buy. High priced lawyers almost always get the best deals for their clients. Especially in Texas. I've watched a great many former prosecutors go into private criminal law practice, and get guilty clients reduced/ minimum sentences over and over and over during the past 30 years in the Dallas area.

I don't take responsibility at all

Ken777

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:17 am

Quoting johnboy (Reply 23):

It's so interesting to see everyone twist and contort themselves just to deny the existence of white privilege.

Bill Cosby

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 24):
Very doubtful.

Bill Cosby

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 24):
Give some examples.

Bill Cosby

What the kid had was the best lawyers that money could buy.

If I was that lawyer I'd let someone else take the case when the kid and his mother are caught. I doubt that he really wants to face that judge with that title brat.

Quoting DDR (Reply 36):
What happens if they went to a country that does not have an agreement with the U.S. to extradite?

Right now the task is to follow the money. And to freeze accounts that Mommy can tap into. I wouldn't be surprised if various law enforcement agencies have had some Come To Jesus discussion with Dad, ensuring he knows that if he finances the flight in any manner he will also be charged. I also bet that lawyer will also make it clear to Daddy that he needs to avoid doing anything that can get him charged with a criminal act.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:33 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 40):
Bill Cosby

You say that as if Cosby is somehow out of the water...

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 40):
I also bet that lawyer will also make it clear to Daddy that he needs to avoid doing anything that can get him charged with a criminal act.

The dad and mother apparently hate each other, have been separated for years, and he's gone to jail already for beating her (among other things)... so if anything, he'd probably be the first one to turn her in.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:01 am

BREAKING: he and his mother have been caught and detained in PVR.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/brea...d-in-mexico/#.VoIQ5kT3Iso.facebook

Wow: all the resources in the world, plus a 2day head-start, and that's as far as they went?
...they're definitely not the brightest folk out there.

MD11Engineer

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:31 am

Hasn't the whole thing turned into a federal offence now? And he is now, as an adult, who broke the terms of his probaation, likely to serve the full ten years in a federal pen?

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

WIederling

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:57 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 21):
Considering the damage he has done to the victims .... .

How is the civil liabilities side handled here?
Does he have to support his victims?
Murphy is an optimist

us330

Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 42):
And he is now, as an adult, who broke the terms of his probaation, likely to serve the full ten years in a federal pen?

Yep. Law enforcement (and the court system) doesn't like being embarrassed. Higher up LEOs in Tarrant County (where the incident took place and where Fort Worth is) are already on the record for saying they will throw the book at him.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 42):
Wow: all the resources in the world, plus a 2day head-start, and that's as far as they went?

To a resort town full of Americans. Clearly not the brightest people out there.

Revelation

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 43):
Hasn't the whole thing turned into a federal offence now? And he is now, as an adult, who broke the terms of his probaation, likely to serve the full ten years in a federal pen?

I definitely am not a lawyer, but I don't think the recent activities will 'federalize' his existing situation.

CNN says:

Quote:

Couch is wanted by authorities in Tarrant County, Texas, for allegedly violating his probation. His mother, Tonya, was listed by Texas authorities as a missing person after her son's disappearance, and the authorities said they believed she was assisting him.

So the charge against him is violating probation. Leaving the country is definitely one more way he's in violation.

Ref: http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/29/us/aff...en-ethan-couch-detained-in-mexico/
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

wingman

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:51 pm

I think his deal, if I recall, was that you go to Disney Rehab but one simple f-up and it's up to 10 years of speed dating in the big house. I really would not want to be a prosecutor or judge in Texas giving anything less than that maximum at this point. On the bright side he'll be out before 30 and the affluenza will still be waiting for him.

slider

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 8):
It's rich privilege, not white privilege. Money talks everywhere
Quoting wingman (Reply 47):
I think his deal, if I recall, was that you go to Disney Rehab but one simple f-up and it's up to 10 years of speed dating in the big house. I really would not want to be a prosecutor or judge in Texas giving anything less than that maximum at this point. On the bright side he'll be out before 30 and the affluenza will still be waiting for him.

Yup. Whomever replaced that idiotic judge will drop the shithammer on this dude, and rightfully so.

Moreover, his mother will be--and should be--charged with something as well. Aiding a fugitive absconding out of the country. In a way, I feel bad for this family in the true sympathy sense, because they are SO dysfunctional, so inept and incapable of handling adversity that can't be bought out of, it's tragic in the Greek sense.

That said, I hope this little bastard gets the shit beat out of him whilst in Mexico and everyone whistles past the graveyard, no one saw a thing.

Acheron

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 18):
I recall hearing that sort of thing with regard to low-level charges. I don't recall hearing anyone try to excuse a crime in which people died based on someone being a product of their environment.

He is wealthy and white. Of course some people are bound to be more lenient on him.

I bet if it was a black, poor kid that got high on computer duster he wouldn't be as dismisive about it