Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

prebennorholm

RE: It's Back Things You Want To Go Away 2016

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:35 am

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 47):
and last but not least... The ugly Avro RJ100 at LX

How can you say such a thing? They are the most comfu planes in Y on the European continent today.

I wish the BBD CSeries all the best, but I am really afraid that once LX gets hands on them, then they will configure them as cramped as all the 320s, 737s, CRJ900s, E-Jets etc, which the competitors try to compete with.

Those RJ100s may be the last airliners in Europe configured for adult non-midget pax. With them LX is the sole remaining European airline which hasn't fully copied LCC cabin compression (yet).

LSZH34

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 50):
I wish the BBD CSeries all the best, but I am really afraid that once LX gets hands on them, then they will configure them as cramped as all the 320s, 737s, CRJ900s, E-Jets etc, which the competitors try to compete with.

Well it's gonna be max seating capacity, but atleast the width will be 18.5" and 2-3 layout.  

Rara

Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Wow, lots of resentment against refugees in this thread. Goes to show that no matter how many stones life throws at ya, you'll always find some muppet who'll throw another.  

Anyway, what I really want to go away in 2016 is the war in Syria. It's gone on long enough, and it's time to stop. We need to sit down with Russia and decide on a common strategy, and then see it through, whatever it takes.

Also on my list: talking about Microsoft Windows. I for one welcome the "lifetime service" approach Microsoft will take with Windows 10. Please no more of "I'm considering an upgrade, but I want the system to mature first" and "Windows Vista was terrible, but 7 was great, so I stick with that for time being". Reality check - you use your computer to run a browser and Microsoft Office, and to download photos from your phone. You could use any OS out there, and it wouldn't matter a single bit. You don't need a system to "mature" beyond it's initial release. So please Microsoft, just push Windows 10 down everyone's throat and never let them worry about any upgrade again.

Another term I want people to stop using is "learning curve". There is such a thing as a learning curve, but it isn't what you think it is. It's not just another word for "hard". Don't say "there is a learning curve", because that statement makes no sense. Just say "it's difficult". Won't make you sound any less intelligent (quite the opposite).

A332DTW

Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:43 am

Quoting Rara (Reply 52):
Anyway, what I really want to go away in 2016 is the war in Syria. It's gone on long enough, and it's time to stop. We need to sit down with Russia and decide on a common strategy, and then see it through, whatever it takes.

As a war kid, my heart really breaks for the people of Syria. So much has been lost.
Seeing how things used to be and how things are now, it's just sad. There is no other word to describe it.

Video of students from Damascus University when life was "normal".
http://youtu.be/NbM4trP42NY

And now...
http://youtu.be/mJtrBg8TQaM

LAX772LR

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:12 am

Quoting zippyjet (Thread starter):
Political Correctness
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 10):
Political correctness
Quoting pvjin (Reply 17):
Political correctness

Come now, we all know that hating "political correctness" is just code for insecure small-peckered rightwing whiteboys who are upset that they can no longer denigrate other groups with impunity.

But labeling it what it is, would be "politically incorrect," so I guess we'll just have to go with the "P.C." moniker.
Kind of ironic.  

Quoting Siren (Reply 24):
The strawman of 'political correctness' - I want that to go away. I want to call a spade a spade. This isn't about political correctness at all, rather it's about white men losing their dominance.

seb146

Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:02 am

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 47):
The ugly Avro RJ100 at LX 

I am offended, sir. How dare you! There is no more regal queen of the skies. I challenge you to a duel!  

pvjin

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:24 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 54):
Come now, we all know that hating "political correctness" is just code for insecure small-peckered rightwing whiteboys who are upset that they can no longer denigrate other groups with impunity.

Hardly. Traditionally in Finnish culture honesty and straightforwardness have been held in high value as opposed to some other cultures with more political correctness. Western style political correctness where people like you demand censorship of art or commercials because they might offend somebody is inherently incompatible with our culture.

I hope in 2016 there will be less leftist Americans and Central / Western Europeans demanding the whole world to follow their twisted world view where white people are the root of all problems in the world, even though crime statistics constantly prove otherwise.

Rara

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 56):
where white people are the root of all problems in the world, even though crime statistics constantly prove otherwise.

Hahaha - because crime statistics are really the metric to look for, when you're on the hunt for root causes.   

One thing I certainly don't want to go in 2016 is the inadvertent humour of some posters here.

pvjin

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 57):
Hahaha - because crime statistics are really the metric to look for, when you're on the hunt for root causes.   

Crime statistics are useful way of recognizing the problem, then you can proceed to look for deeper causes. It's a fact refugees/immigrants from Muslim majority countries are hugely overrepresented in Finnish crime statistics, and white Finnish people haven't done anything to cause this issue, apart from letting those people in of course.

I'm tired of Americans and Western Europeans claiming that being white makes me somehow more privileged than others or guilty of some crimes committed by white people in the past. You or your ancestors may have been involved in slave trade, genocide of Indians or the Iraq war, me and my ancestors certainly were not.

I think it would be only fair if 90% of refugees from Middle East were sent to the UK and the US. African refugees should be the responsibility of France and Belgium too. It's not fair that countries like Finland, Hungary, Poland and such, countries that were in no way involved in causing this mess, are expected to take the full burden of the crisis.

einsteinboricua

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:09 pm

Ironic all of the people claiming that they want political correctness to go away.

A Christian would say they want it to go away so they can say Merry Christmas joyfully. Now if I were to wish them Happy Hannukah or Happy Ramadan they'd throw a fit on how I have to conform to THEIR holiday and how it's anti-Christian to say anything other than Merry Christmas. In other words, it's politically correct to say the things they wanna hear; anything else is persecution. We can open a thread on it; it's a good thing, but it's abused.

Hence, keep political correctness alive for a while.

Moving on:
-Republican control of Congress (at least the Senate)
-Scalia and Thomas off the bench
-Keep Trump...take Cruz away
-Saudi Arabia's monarchy. ISIS can't be defeated as long as there's a model of what a strict Islamic society is like and money flows their way. Not even Iran is as strict.
-Baggage fees and fuel surcharges.
-UA and DL A32X series. Either give them an overhaul or take 'em out.
-My status as "single"  

LAX772LR

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Hardly.

Nope, consistently.

where people like you

You don't know f#ck-all about me, so no idea from what orifice you're pulling THAT ridiculous statement.

demanding the whole world to follow their twisted world view

Demanding that people treat others with a baseline of human respect, is somehow a "twisted world view" in your warped perception?

Talk about pathos.  

even though crime statistics constantly prove otherwise

Droll. But let's expand on that.
Exactly WHAT do you believe crime statistics "prove?"

pvjin

Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:11 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 60):
Demanding that people treat others with a baseline of human respect, is somehow a "twisted world view" in your warped perception?

You aren't exactly demanding to treat others with a baseline of human respect, instead you are making racist generalizations like this:

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 54):

Since when being anti-PC means you must also be a person of white skin colour? Last time I checked the vast majority of the world doesn't really care about the nonsense spread by western social justice warriors.

Treating others with a baseline of human respect is simply called "good manners", not political correctness. Political correctness as I see it is this "your rights end where my feelings begin" type of thinking, like when radical feminists or social justice warriors demand censorship of art or commercials that they find offensive, or when people start tolerating the intolerant not to offend anybody. All this talk about "islamophobia" is a good example of that, as if criticism and mockery of an utterly irrational thing like religion is somehow wrong because it might offend somebody.

Droll. But let's expand on that.
Exactly WHAT do you believe crime statistics "prove?"

Well, they pretty much prove that those Islamophobes and evil white privileged xenophobes who claim people from Afghanistan, Iraq and such are much more likely to commit crimes than native Europeans are absolutely right. Surprise surprise, people from backward societies where things like women's rights are unheard of won't suddenly change their behaviour when they enter a modern western country.

It's quite a paradox how people who see themselves as tolerant and understanding towards other cultures tend to expect people from outside western world to somehow automatically follow western ideals of democracy and human rights. If you ask me that's pretty arrogant, what authority do they have to define other people's moral systems?

LAX772LR

Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 61):
You aren't exactly demanding to treat others with a baseline of human respect

Sure I do, until they give me a reason not to.

Political correctness as I see it is this "your rights end where my feelings begin" type of thinking

Four words form the operative phrase in that statement-- let's see if you're sharp enough to spot them.

All this talk about "islamophobia" is a good example of that, as if criticism and mockery of an utterly irrational thing like religion is somehow wrong because it might offend somebody.

Islamophobia doesn't signify objection to criticism. It's exactly what it says: fear of Islam, or (worse) what's erroneously perceived to be Islamic, that's taken to a completely irrational level.

Well, they pretty much prove that those Islamophobes and evil white privileged xenophobes who claim people from Afghanistan, Iraq and such are much more likely to commit crimes than native Europeans are absolutely right.

Commit (as shown by these alleged stats per se)? Or be arrested/detained/prosecuted for?
...because there's a world of difference between the two, and I suspect you might be confusing one with the other.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:53 am

ignorance and because i was unable to post just one word. I will add sticky keys.

LAX772LR

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:59 am

Kathy Griffin

A332DTW

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:09 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 64):

Kathy Griffin

That would make Anderson Cooper happy.

LAX772LR

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:48 am

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 65):
That would make Anderson Cooper happy.

She's like the inverse of red Starbucks cups: no actual person seems to be happy with her presence.

[Edited 2015-12-30 00:49:23]

pvjin

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:59 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 62):
Islamophobia doesn't signify objection to criticism. It's exactly what it says: fear of Islam, or (worse) what's erroneously perceived to be Islamic, that's taken to a completely irrational level.

The current trend seems to be that people claim any evil things being committed in name of Islam aren't really Islamic, and all good things are. I don't really believe in such way of thinking, to me ISIS is Islamic just like Catholic inquisition and conquistadors who slaughtered innocent Native Americans were Christian.

History shows that Islam, Christianity and Judaism have been neither particularly peaceful or tolerant religions. Thus I believe fearing and despising them is a completely rational thing to do.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 62):
Commit (as shown by these alleged stats per se)? Or be arrested/detained/prosecuted for?
...because there's a world of difference between the two, and I suspect you might be confusing one with the other.

Arrested/detained/prosecuted for, obviously we can't know about crimes that aren't even reported. It's estimated that big majority of rapes aren't reported to the authorities, them often being cases where the victim and offender know each other well. However in ones that are reported foreigners from certain parts of the world are hugely overrepresented. Those parts of the world also happen to be ones with least rights for women.

aerorobnz

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:46 am

The Religious using belief in God to justify and tolerate everything under the sun as long as it's because "God told them".

The ceasing of anything that can be deemed as "western interference" and therefore the ammunition for retaliation.
Let them sort themselves out and take responsibility for themselves without aid, without refugee quotas, without military engagement etc. thus saving trillions of dollars to spend on advancing green tech and other social advances.

Feigned outrage for even the most trivial stuff, and the associated plan to ban anything that they deem contrary to their cause even if it infringes on the right to speak freely without any debate. How about we all just become secure in ourselves and just learn to accept there will always be differing opinions

Republican opposition to the scientific consensus regarding climate change.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:26 pm

the man bun hairstyle

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:39 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 7):

use of the term "political correctness" when people really mean "I want to be an arse without being criticised for it."

Nailed that.

The strawman of 'political correctness' - I want that to go away. I want to call a spade a spade. This isn't about political correctness at all, rather it's about white men losing their dominance. These people who rail against it know about immigrants, about civil unrest, and about Muslims. And they don't like it. And by co-opting the term 'political correctness', they're making it okay for white men to be angry about it.

It's even more than that. There's no doubt the racist thing is there, but even using the phrase "PC" has become a hallmark of intellectual laziness and dishonesty. Troop worship, wrapping oneself in the flag, the overuse of words like "Freedom" or "Liberty" and "speaking out" against things everybody's already against anyway (Seriously, is there anyone out there that's actually in favor of domestic violence, breast cancer or drunk driving?), are also all forms of PC.

People feel like free thinkers when they say they're against political correctitude, but the truth is that unless you're a guy like Tony Jeselnik, that opposite is almost certainly true.

The whole thing just reminds me of idiots who go around saying how much they hate politics and then proceed to show off how liberal or conservative, etc, they are.

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 28):

I also want the dole / unemployment benefits to go away ASAP.

I want your job and your house to go away.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 59):
My status as "single"

On Earth, why, man?? That's like wishing you weren't a millionaire.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 31):
Flo from Progressive, Jen from Toyota and whatever her name is from AT&T

Really, Flo? What's so bad about her? I hate insurance (long story), and I still think she's fine. Fine...

Quoting Rara (Reply 52):

Wow, lots of resentment against refugees in this thread.

Yup. Another hallmark of stupid.

Quoting Rara (Reply 52):
Goes to show that no matter how many stones life throws at ya, you'll always find some muppet who'll throw another.  

Well, honestly, if these folks hadn't gone out and gotten their previously quite habitable homeland torn to smitherines by a bunch of radicals set free by a right winged western war machine an ocean away, we wouldn't be having this problem. Clearly all their fault...

In all seriousness, I really am sick of hearing how much otherwise decent people turn into complete assholes talking about this. I get that nobody wants terrorism, but this won't do a thing about it one way or the other. I also get that the people most vocal about it are also the most vocal about doing nothing at all about actual violence in the US (police brutality, mass shootings, etc). My heart (well if I had one it would, I mean), goes out to these refugees and I can't imagine being in their shoes. But even beyond that, it's the shear abdication of rational thought about the issue that just hurts my head.

Being anti-refugee here is like beating your step-kid because you don't like some guy your wife used to screw.

. Western style political correctness where people like you demand censorship of art or commercials because they might offend somebody is inherently incompatible with our culture.

That never happens. I pretty much say and do what I feel like, and the only thing that's ever gotten me are promotions and a more interesting social life. And I'm saying that as a very privileged, white hetero male.

You don't know f#ck-all about me, so no idea from what orifice you're pulling THAT ridiculous statement.

I don't agree with him, but I have to admit your opinions are predictable as hell.

Since when being anti-PC means you must also be a person of white skin colour?

Since america.

Last time I checked the vast majority of the world doesn't really care about the nonsense spread by western social justice warriors.

Obviously you do.

All this talk about "islamophobia" is a good example of that, as if criticism and mockery of an utterly irrational thing like religion is somehow wrong because it might offend somebody.

I criticize islam all the time, and have no such worries.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 64):
Kathy Griffin

Well... She does look like this ex-wife I used to have around, so yeah, good one.

Ok... So, stuff that can die...

The phrase "I'm a lesbian in a man's body." Hasn't been funny since May 12th 1997. And if you don't spend more than 60% of sex time with your face between her thighs, it's not true anyway...

Killer Whales and Swans...

Prequel, Sequel, Tie Ins, Spin offs and Re-Boots. I get why that has to happen, but just one year of originals would be fantastic...

Humblebraggarts...

Excessive Sobriety...

Science Haters...

Psudoscience...

Swans...

Seat Pitch Made For Anyone Under 6,2,, ...

"Impacted" This is not a word unless you're a dentist...

DUI/OUI checkpoints...

"Horrific, Careened, Mind Blowing, etc" And any other hype word or phrase that doesn't exist outside of clickbait.

Adam Tod Brown

Alligators

Beards Being Fashionable. If you weren't made right for it, just... stop...

Swans...

Virginia...

Line Up And Wait...

TheRedBaron

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:25 am

5.5 billion people....

No I am not kidding, we are destroying this planet.

Sadly It won't happen.

TRB

steeler83

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:02 am

Clinton
Sanders
Our faulty welfare system
Diabetes -- especially the abomination unto humanity that is Type I!
Alzheimer's Disease
Cancer
Tom Brady -- seriously, he is obnoxious and not at all a God-send to the NFL!
Bill Belichik -- see above
ISIS
Niki Minaj
Ariana Grande
Pro-Wrestling on Syfy (SERIOUSLY?? Unless it's Han Solo vs. Spock, why is there wrestling on that channel?!!)

seb146

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:24 am

Political opportunists
Coming out announcements
Pictures of food

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:26 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 72):
Ariana Grande

Are you kidding? Out of all the new artists to have come out, she is pure talent. No need to rely on autotune or looks to sell a product.

Airstud

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:13 am

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 72):
Niki Minaj

THIS, if nothing else.

Also Guy Fieri.

And cities that keep building light-rail systems along freeway medians meant to make minivan-owning suburban lamewads think they're true straphangers and to make REAL railfans think there's urban rail transit in their city. Drill tunnels under the city streets and put a heavy-rail system in place there and call me when it's done thanks.

And also enough with the superlong "shorts" if I haven't already complained about that.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:19 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 75):

And cities that keep building light-rail systems along freeway medians meant to make minivan-owning suburban lamewads think they're true straphangers and to make REAL railfans think there's urban rail transit in their city. Drill tunnels under the city streets and put a heavy-rail system in place there and call me when it's done thanks.

Can we get a "Hell Yeah" for this...

When/where I grew up, the metro was how Dads went to work.

Rara

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 71):

5.5 billion people....

No I am not kidding, we are destroying this planet.

To be fair though, most of those people aren't doing very much in terms of the destroying.

zippyjet
Topic Author

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:46 am

Happy New Year: On a lighter note I really hope those awful 1800 Kars For Kids ads go away and fast. I like kids but can't stand them singing. And Cars with a K? On one commercial the woeful old guy sounds like a clown who likes the youngins!

seb146

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:44 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 78):
1800 Kars For Kids ads

I know that first note and I do turn off the radio at that first note.

Another thing that needs to go away is the notion that America needs to be great again. Think about that for just a minute.

zippyjet
Topic Author

Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:12 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 79):

Thank you Seb146    I know a tenet of advertising is recognition even if it's negative. I forgot who said any publicity is good but please let a lot of this "badvertising" go away. Loud in your face commercials. The 1-877 Kars For Kids is an overplayed major turnoff. With so many charities out there thanks to their horrible commercials this would be the dead last charity if I ever donated a vehicle.

How could I forget Niki Minaj? However, hipster bands like Skrillex our giving Niki a run for the money of music from hell. That Royal C commercial with Skrillex croaking out Bun Up The Dance. Sounds like a poor critter being tortured with a beat that's easy to hurl to.

Those reality cheap daytime/loser TV shows: Judge Judy, People's Court, Divorce Court, Maury Povich who be the baby daddy format and their commercials for sleazy ambulance chasing law firms, sleazy financial companies, Adventure Dental Commercials with bad kiddie hip hop and that creepy animated gladiator dude with a big toothbrush. If I were a kid, I'd be more scared of it then those creepy clowns.

Christmas Creep (tacky overkill commercialism) starting earlier and earlier, Black Friday (sort of losing it's lustre), overhype of Star Wars.

Reliance on bad cover versions of hit songs and adaptation of syrupy Broadway show tunes in commercials which even though there's a law against ii in the USA are louder than the actual TV program.

Love Decades TV network and their concept of their Binge Weekends but at least for 2016 please stop featuring "That Girl," "The Rogues," and especially "Love American Style." As the Binge Weekend selections there's so much classic TV to choose from like the Twilight Zone.

The current style cycle of the Toyota Prius. Toyota back in the day actually made some cool cars style wise like the Celica. Why are fugly styles chic?

Beardown91737

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:24 am

1. Blinding headlights from oncoming traffic.
2. Blinding headlights in the rear view mirror.
3. Speed limit of 70 in interstate highways in the open desert.
4. The Continited livery.
5. Using the term "Anglos" to refer to whites.
6. The Los Angeles Times (this would take care of 90% of #5)
7. The remaining remnants of Westboro
8. Republicans who think victory can be achieved by doubling down on the abortion issue.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 78):
Quoting seb146 (Reply 79):

Agree on the 1-877 Kars for Kids. It earworms me but I can recover by substituting the Motel 6 "Tom Bodette" commercial music in my head.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 18):
Ethanol in Gasoline

I am from Illinois, and I have to admit Corn Ethanol is an experiment that should be over by now.

The strawman of 'political correctness' - I want that to go away. I want to call a spade a spade. This isn't about political correctness at all, rather it's about white men losing their dominance. These people who rail against it know about immigrants, about civil unrest, and about Muslims. And they don't like it. And by co-opting the term 'political correctness', they're making it okay for white men to be angry about it.

Sounds like the opinion of an angry Caucasiophobe. Let's just say PC should not have gotten to the point where people are afraid enough of being called racist that they don't report their neighbor's bomb factory. PC also should not be used to stifle discussion on illegal immigration. Trouble is that anytime someone disagrees with the left, the SJWs just repsond by calling it "x-phobia".

Quoting ER757 (Reply 31):
whatever her name is from AT&T

Lily

Quoting Airstud (Reply 75):

Heavy rail (having been a "suburban lamewad" that used it) is already in place in the places that need it. That means heavy trains push/pulled by locomotives. Cities who have implemented light rail like Phoenix and Dallas did not have the downtown core or the commute patterns to implement full rail. Los Angeles was able to do that because they had existing tracks and an existing terminal for the Metrolink heavy rail, and it serves the downtown. This was in addition to the Metro light rail (Gold Line, Blue Line, Green Line), which were new construction.
Subways (having been a "hip city dweller" that used it) are more of a "rapid transit", and the rolling stock is of light rail category. They also are very expensive to build and a city has to have the downtown core and proper residential density. It works for NY, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, SF, LA and a few others. Most new cities with dispersed business districts shouldn't try it. Sometimes these urban lines run in freeway medians like the Congress and O'Hare Rapid transit lines in Chicago do.

Airstud

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:40 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 81):
That means heavy trains push/pulled by locomotives

That's not what 'heavy rail' means.

ER757

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 am

Quoting DarkSnowyNight (Reply 70):
Really, Flo? What's so bad about her? I hate insurance (long story), and I still think she's fine. Fine...

Yeah, really. She was OK for while but like network TV shows that go on for more seasons than they should, they've run out of ideas and have reached the silly stage. Just my opinion of course. Now who I wish would come back is the Wendy's girl. Haven't seen her for a while. She could just stand there and not say anything......  

steeler83

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:07 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 82):
That's not what 'heavy rail' means.

It can mean commuter or regional rail, but it mainly refers to pax capacity on the trains. Sure the heavy rail trains are heavier than light rail, but the pax capacity is also quite higher.

Hence, why you see subways and/or regional rail lines in the bigger, more densly populated cities like New York, Philly, Chicago, and DC.

Frankly, I wish Pittsburgh built a true heavy rail/subway system. They had plans -- fully funded plans at that -- that were ultimately abandoned in the 1940 or 1950s. In my honest opinion, they "settled" for the light rail system they have now because it was cheaper. They're about to "settle" for BRT between Downtown and Oakland when travel demand between these two parts of town most certainly would warrant light rail or even metro rail service.

The same I think could be said about Philadelphia's subway. There were plans for it to have been much larger, but they only built the Broad Street and Market-Frankford lines.

zippyjet
Topic Author

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:24 pm

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 81):

Sounds like the opinion of an angry Caucasiophobe. Let's just say PC should not have gotten to the point where people are afraid enough of being called racist that they don't report their neighbor's bomb factory. PC also should not be used to stifle discussion on illegal immigration. Trouble is that anytime someone disagrees with the left, the SJWs just repsond by calling it "x-phobia".

What I don't like about the current smothering state of PC:
See example of neighbors afraid of reporting something suspicious
Strangeling much of comedic expression. Many comics have given up working the college campus circuit because of this.
Though maybe in bad taste, it's harder for hysterical in my book anyway of moves such as Airplane, both Harold and Kumar Movies especially Gitmo and Blazing Saddles to name a few. Now Airplane 2 is a PC hipster wet dream. And also the death of a lot of funny advertising. Sorry, if it's now considered a hate crime but I still miss that talking Chihuahua doing "Yo Quiero Taco Bell." Now Taco Hell just has lame loud guitar heavy rock dreck foe rhwie advertising.
Plus Peyton and Brady, The Reefer Madness Broncos and the N.E. Hatriots and Payton Manning with him acting inbread in tose commercials with short eyes Pappa John. Those can all please go away. Flo is flo just for heavens sake show some skin already. She's a model for heaven's sakes.

Beardown91737

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:00 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 85):

Second paragraph of the previous quote was me. First paragraph was Quoting Siren (Reply 24)

aloges

Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:26 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 85):
Sorry, if it's now considered a hate crime but I still miss that talking Chihuahua doing "Yo Quiero Taco Bell."

Who considers it a hate crime?

zippyjet
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 87):

Speaking figuratively. These days with the extreme censorship in the name of Political Correctness things could escalate where having a talking Chihuahua and any additional Harold and Kumar movies would be crimes against the state. I'm for common sense and moderation not smothering censhorship.

aloges

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:15 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 88):
These days with the extreme censorship in the name of Political Correctness

Have you been ignoring the attention and airtime that e.g. Donald Trump is getting?

zippyjet
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 89):

The PC elites, hipsters, yuppies are pooping in their pants. Trump is the tip of the iceberg of those of us who think this extreme PC is escalating too much and too soon. Even if and when Trump fades, the PC backlash at least in the states has started which is much needed. Why not practice good manners when you want to spout the PC crap? I sometimes feel a PC society is an impolite one. Just my 2 cents.

aloges

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 90):
Trump is the tip of the iceberg of those of us who think this extreme PC is escalating too much and too soon.

I see. Is there another Tea Party revolution right around the corner?

zippyjet
Topic Author

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 91):

Don't think so, the tea party is way out there. However, the silent majority is tired of remaining silent and being persecuted for alledged incidences of political correctness.

PHLBOS

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm surprised that nobody on here, given the nature of this particular site, hasn't chimed on this one yet:

Baseless merger/speculation threads (ones that aren't based on an actual event/conference).   

There's presently at least 2 to 3 of those going on on the Civil Aviation forum.

[Edited 2016-01-08 08:10:53]

Braybuddy

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:00 pm

The use of the term "guests" by airlines when they really mean "paying customers". I'm a guest if they invite me, free of charge, to avail of their hospitality, AND lay on the red carpet to boot . . .            

aerorobnz

Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:14 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 94):
The use of the term "guests" by airlines when they really mean "paying customers". I'm a guest if they invite me, free of charge, to avail of their hospitality, AND lay on the red carpet to boot .

Yes. I dislike that expression too. Terminology like that is just turd polishing..It doesn't change treatment, it doesn't make me feel better and more valued than if they called me a passenger, nor does it make me feel more comfortable. Pointless, and therefore a good addition to this list

offloaded

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:29 pm

I'd like to see less of the blue flag with the 12 yellow stars all over the place. Honestly, it's like a rash. Here in Portugal it seems to be everywhere. Any infrastructure even partially EU funded, must have the EU flag on the funding billboard. Even projects like co-funding of the post office computer systems has to have a plague on the wall or a sticker on the machine. Number plates, driving licences, passports, citizen cards, council buildings, govt offices, hotels, golf clubs. Excluding every car I follow, I must see the damn flag 50 times a day. The Nazis were fond of having the swastika everywhere; it seems like the European Commission are equally keen on their version. The 11th commandment "Thou shalt remember the omnipotence of the EU all day"

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 95):

"reaching out" ... I don't know who came up with that phrase, but I don't want to be reached out to.

"Lawmakers" seems to be the BBCs and Sky's favourite word at the moment.

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 30):
The worst thing for Germany since Hitler: Angela Merkel

- The worst thing for Canada since his father, Pierre: selfie-boy Justin Trudeau

- Political correctness

- The global warming / climate change cash-cow hoax

Yes to all of those. It was interesting to see the split in opinions during the CDN election of my FB friends.

aerorobnz

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:20 am

Quoting offloaded (Reply 96):
"reaching out" ... I don't know who came up with that phrase, but I don't want to be reached out to.

Yep same, I thought of another couple of phrases I hate
"touching base"
Someone being "across" a situation rather than aware of.
"moving forward"

managerial business speak in general can go in this category.. Everyone coan stand to use more direct and non-euphemistic language to accurately describe what you see and what you want.

ER757

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 97):
Someone being "across" a situation rather than aware of.

Haven't heard this one. If someone said that to me I'd ask them what the hell they were talking about  
Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 97):
"moving forward"

Yeah, this one needs to go into the dustbin for sure right along with reaching out.

zippyjet
Topic Author

Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:25 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 98):

along with booya. But I'll take the awesome sauce thank you very much.