Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Acheron
Topic Author

Israel Bans Novel In Schools On Fears Of Race-mix

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:47 am

http://gawker.com/israel-bans-arab-j...novel-in-schools-over-f-1750453567

Quote:
In a move one might expect from an Education Minister who’s said such things as “when Palestinians were climbing trees, we already had a Jewish state” and “I’ve killed lots of Arabs in my life, and there’s no problem with that,” Israel has banned an Arab-Jewish romance novel from schools for “threatening Jewish identity.” Or put more simply, it banned the book over fears that it encourages race-mixing.
Quote:
In explaining its reasoning for banning the book, the ministry cited its responsibility to maintain “the identity and the heritage of students in every sector” as well as the idea that “intimate relations between Jews and non-Jews threatens the separate identity.”

It seems the Minister of Education is quite a raging lunatic, to say the least...

Aesma

RE: Israel Bans Novel In Schools On Fears Of Race-mix

Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:45 am

It seems he's saying out loud what others in the government just say in good company.

Then they're surprised when Obama and others say they're untrustworthy, or when nobody believes they want any kind of peace.

jetwet1

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 am

You know, the world would be a far better place without religions.

But okay, I think we can all agree, if you fall in love with someone, you should be allowed to have a relationship with them, right ?

Well, I guess this Jewish man thinks no, let's add in the whole Islamic religion, many catholics and protestants in Ireland, oh hell, I can go on and on, it's just sad that in 2016 we still have this bs going on.

seb146

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:53 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 2):
the world would be a far better place without religions.

Unregulated. Religion, no religion... I don't care. It is those who want their religion as law is where I have problems.

I am a Protestant man in a long term relationship with an agnostic (and formerly Catholic) man.

Aaron747

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:20 am

Quoting Acheron (Thread starter):
It seems the Minister of Education is quite a raging lunatic, to say the least...

Ugh, one of the first of many rats to throw off the boat in 2016.

NAV30

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:30 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 3):
It is those who want their religion as law is where I have problems.

Couldn't agree more. I'm 77, meaning that I was born into WW2. My earliest memories are of being bombed; during which time Britain and the Commonwealth pretty well 'stood alone' against the Nazis, for the best part of three years....ESPECIALLY kicking Rommel's blokes out of Palestine - now known as 'Israel'.........

I STILL think that it is just plain disgusting that the State of Israel, which was actually freed and 'created' by the Allies, apparently continues to give preference to people of the Jewish faith?

[Edited 2016-01-01 22:52:53]

scbriml

Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:55 am

This is pretty stupid - one way to guarantee a book is read is to tell people they can't read it. Expect to see the book at the top of the best-seller list soon.   

johns624

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Quoting NAV30 (Reply 5):
....ESPECIALLY kicking Rommel's blokes out of Palestine - now known as 'Israel'

Rommel never got further east than Egypt.

ltbewr

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Israel's leaders do not want any positive views of the Palestinians, they want them to be seen as sub-humans keeping them from achieving the biblical Jewish Israel.

mham001

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Yea, those despicable Jews. Good thing no Arabs or Arab governments think the same way.

WIederling

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 9):
Yea, those despicable Jews. Good thing no Arabs or Arab governments think the same way.

They've all regressed to times well before those differentiations having been invented.
... and lost all the civilizational improvements too. eye for an eye? Who'd think so far out into the future. 

MaverickM11

Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Christian "universities" did not allow interracial dating until the 2000s. The mormons decided blacks were people to in the late 70s. Yay religion!

pvjin

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Quoting NAV30 (Reply 5):
I STILL think that it is just plain disgusting that the State of Israel, which was actually freed and 'created' by the Allies, apparently continues to give preference to people of the Jewish faith?

Perhaps, but does it really matter? Based on more or less abysmal human rights record of other Middle Eastern countries I would say the area known as Palestine would be no less messed up even if Jews never returned there. Then it would be just Arabs killing Arabs like in Syria, Iraq and such.

The discrimination committed by Israeli Jews towards non-Jews is still rather mild compared to what another US ally KSA does on regular basis to anyone who isn't a Sunni Muslim.

jacobin777

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Rather low standards one is comparing do then, no?

Quoting pvjin (Reply 12):
The discrimination committed by Israeli Jews towards non-Jews is still rather mild compared to what another US ally KSA does on regular basis to anyone who isn't a Sunni Muslim.

Rather low standards one is comparing do then, no?

its not just ME countries, we see this happen in other places such as North Korea, Zimbabwe, etc.

vikkyvik

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:31 pm

We would have just found other things to fight over. After all, the wars, killings, etc. aren't really about religion. They're about money/power. Any other excuse to fight would be just as good.

Then go start a thread about Arabs.

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:48 pm

As usual you always deviate from the subject to attack other countries. For once why you just stay on the subject?

Where is the freedom of speech? Democracy? Human rights?
We have heard time and time again that Israel is the oasis of freedom and democracy in the area, now a book frighten them? Wow something is not Kosher there.

I know your response before you even read this, an attack on Saudi, Arabs and Muslims.

aerorobnz

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:54 pm

Theocracies suck Just ask the Spanish who had 350 years of getting probed up the anus with an 8ft spike for the same kind of bollocks.

WearyDrover

Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:19 am

Whataboutery at it's finest.

So that makes it alright then?

But back to the actual book and the decision ...

While the decision of the Minister is disappointing, it is a positive sign that the the official in in charge of literature instruction in secular state schools recommended the book for advanced literature curriculums and was supported by “a professional committee of academics and educators, at the request of a number of teachers.”

The fact that book sales have soared since the MInister's decision is also indicative that not all Israelis are as narrow-minded as some people think.

777way

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:01 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 14):

We would have just found other things to fight over. After all, the wars, killings, etc. aren't really about religion. They're about money/power. Any other excuse to fight would be just as good.

Tace issues would remain, as if the Jewish race would love Arabs if religion didnt exist and vice versa, whites and non-whites too.

NAV30

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:42 am

I would say the area known as Palestine would be no less messed up even if Jews never returned there.

This map - setting out the state boundaries proposed by the UN, and those that eventually occurred - clearly illustrates the monstrous injustice that Jewish immigrants inflicted on the native Palestinians......

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/mapstellstory.html

pvjin

Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:44 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 15):

Constantly attacking one country for its human rights violations while completely ignoring another nearby country with much worse human rights violations is hypocrisy. No, I don't think Israel is that free or democratic by western standards, but by standards of the messed up region called Middle East it sure is.

Perhaps we should create a thread to discuss human rights violations of all Middle Eastern countries rather than always concentrating on Israel, KSA or whatever particular country? Now there's a lot to discuss since KSA executed an innocent Shia dissident, further continuing it's hate filled crusade against anyone who isn't a particularly intolerant Sunni Muslim.

WIederling

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 20):

It is the mismatch between self presentation/perception and reality that gives fodder for discourse.

Israel has a substantial stash of atomics and the means for delivery ( just another one gifted by my government )
But they go into screaming fits when any one else goes for some table leveling.

Historically the UN gifted territory to a group of refugees as a final disruptive sendoff after decades of
foreign power meddling in the region without much asking around in the region.

Still we saw a process of atonement that was stopped by the rise of the ultra orthodox minority ( and a murder ) that
had managed to get their lifestyle alimented by the much more laicistic and thus reasonable Israeli population at large.

Large groups of Jewish by soviet standards but not Jewish by Jewish standards immigrants didn't make things any easier.

Few governments worldwide are more dominated by misanthropy.

DocLightning

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 6):

This is pretty stupid - one way to guarantee a book is read is to tell people they can't read it. Expect to see the book at the top of the best-seller list soon.   

I think Israelis should burn these books in great piles in the streets. Then they should go on rampages vandalizing Palestinian homes and businesses. And then lock them into ghettoes.

Oh...wait...

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:08 pm

Quoting NAV30 (Reply 5):
ESPECIALLY kicking Rommel's blokes out of Palestine

It was mentioned before the thread got cleaned up, but Rommel only reached Western Egypt (he only got as far as a small town called El Alamein thanks to Monty). Vichy France controlled Syria andLebanon and defintely was a threat, but this was solved by De Gaulle's Free French and the 13th Demibrigade of the French Foreign Legion (the only Foreign Legion unit which joined De Gaulle right from the beginning, as many of the Legionaries were Republican Spanish civil war veterans at this time).

Jan

bennett123

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:03 pm

You do know that Rommel never got to Palestine.

bennett123

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:26 pm

You do know Rommel never got to Palestine.

Perhaps some of his troops did as POW.

sfbdude

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:20 pm

No I don't know but, I'd like to read more about it.

SOBHI51

Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Perhaps we should create a thread to discuss human rights violations of all Middle Eastern countries rather than always concentrating on Israel, KSA or whatever particular country?

Who is stopping you? In the meantime try to stay on subject.

Now there's a lot to discuss since KSA executed an innocent Shia dissident, further continuing it's hate filled crusade against anyone who isn't a particularly intolerant Sunni Muslim.

For your knowledge the majority of the people executed yesterday, were Sunni Muslims members of Al Qaeda, you should read more before posting the wrong info.

Derico

Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:52 am

The whole Middle East is radicalizing.

Unfortunately it make take a massive war and millions of deaths to make people see how radical ideals (channeled through religion, race, ethnicity, social status, wealth, age, beauty, values, political spectrum, or what sport team you support), usually end up in radical suffering for all those involved in them.

mham001

Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 17):
Whataboutery at it's finest.

Absolutely, no apologies, but since Arabs are half of the equation in this matter, it is only fair to look at the entire picture, and if one wants to routinely and severely criticize another, they better have their own house in order. Don't like it, then they should probably shutup before the glare of lights turns in their direction. Especially those who come from a country that suppresses women like chattel, and routinely defends it here.

Let's look at this sin by Israel. They banned a book in the public schools. So what, it happens all the time. Do you know what can happen to the Arab girl who falls for an Israeli Jewish boy? Look up Honor Killing. Is stoning the girl less worse than banning a book with the concept? Get real you bashers, especially the one coming from KSA, it takes hypocrisy to an insulting level.

777way

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Things do need to change in Saudi, atleast foreigners who are guests there should not get things like stoning for a Sri Lankan maid who was caught for adultery, just deport her, thankfully protests by Lankan muslim community led to the maid gettlng a lengthy pruson term instead.

As for the shia cleric hanged, even leaders of sunni organisations in {akistan participated in protest marches against it, an interesting development and even accused Saudi of funding terror worldwide.

SOBHI this is not directed at you but Saudi govt, I consider you Syrian anyways.

SOBHI51

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 29):
especially the one coming from KSA, it takes hypocrisy to an insulting level.

The real hypocrisy is when Israel is called the only democratic country in the area and then we keep on discovering how they treat there own Arab citizens as second degree people, KSA never pretended to be a democracy but Israel did, there is the real hypocrisy.

Quoting 777way (Reply 30):
SOBHI this is not directed at you but Saudi govt, I consider you Syrian anyways.

I understand , thank you.
But the cleric was starting a kind of revolution in the Eastern provinces, he, of course was getting his instruction from Iran, BTW Iran is the #2 country in executions last year after China. The other 46 were all Sunni's and involved in terrorist attacks inside the Kingdom against Saudi's and foreigners as members of Al Qaeda. They were caught, judged and executed. This is the law of the land, you can not agree about the death penalty but in the KSA it does exist. You commit the crime you pay the price.

Dreadnought

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

First of all, I would point out that the book was not banned - students can still read it. They simply will not be made to read it.

Secondly, I find it ironic that leftists get their panties in a twist about this after they have fought to remove classics like To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher In the Rye, Huckleberry Finn, and even Moby Dick from American schools - and in many cases, not just removing it from reading lists, but physically banning their presence in school libraries.

777way

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:16 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 32):

Why were they removed in the US?

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 31):
But the cleric was starting a kind of revolution in the Eastern provinces, he, of course was getting his instruction from Iran, BTW Iran is the #2 country in executions last year after China. The other 46 were all Sunni's and involved in terrorist attacks inside the Kingdom against Saudi's and foreigners as members of Al Qaeda. They were caught, judged and executed. This is the law of the land, you can not agree about the death penalty but in the KSA it does exist. You commit the crime you pay the price.

Ok, but what about the Sri Lankan maid issue, why should a foreigner get that ruling when she just there as an expat.

DocLightning

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Secondly, I find it ironic that leftists get their panties in a twist about this after they have fought to remove classics like To Kill A Mockingbird, Catcher In the Rye, Huckleberry Finn, and even Moby Dick from American schools - and in many cases, not just removing it from reading lists, but physically banning their presence in school libraries.

Please cite evidence that "Leftists" have tried to ban these books.

Tugger

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:12 pm

I have never heard such actions attributed to "leftists", I have heard of "conservatives" wanting books banned from shelves. I believe you are going to bring up the changes recommended in the Common Core curriculum. And if that is the case then I do think that the curriculum is wrong for removing such reading, however the books were not banned.

Quote:
American literature classics are to be replaced by insulation manuals and plant inventories in US classrooms by 2014.

A new school curriculum which will affect 46 out of 50 states will make it compulsory for at least 70 per cent of books studied to be non-fiction, in an effort to ready pupils for the workplace.

Books such as JD Salinger's Catcher in the Rye and Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird will be replaced by "informational texts" approved by the Common Core State Standards.

Suggested non-fiction texts include Recommended Levels of Insulation by the the US Environmental Protection Agency, and the Invasive Plant Inventory, by California's Invasive Plant Council.

The new educational standards have the backing of the influential National Governors' Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers, and are being part-funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...ped-from-US-school-curriculum.html

I find this to be a better list to review though and to see who is requesting what be removed form shelves:
http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Sect...ontentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=136590

Tugg

SOBHI51

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:55 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 33):
Ok, but what about the Sri Lankan maid issue, why should a foreigner get that ruling when she just there as an expat.

When the western world requests that new comers and visitors abide by the law of those countries (and rightly so) foreigners in KSA should also abide by the laws of the kingdom. We are not discussing if those laws are harsh or not, but when you commit a crime in a country you should accept the punishment as per the law.

WearyDrover

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 29):

No apology expected or required. Whataboutery is usually about needing to deflect criticism when an intellectual defence of a decision is lacking.

The initial criticism arose from Israelis not from Arab or Muslim countries. I suspect that those Israelis are perfectly aware of conditions elsewhere but don't appear to adopt the view that because Abdullah killed his wife, it is OK for Shimon to continue beating his.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:33 pm

First of all, I would point out that the book was not banned - students can still read it. They simply will not be made to read it.

The book is banned from the curriculum. Just like Moby Dick, Catcher in the Rye, and Huckleberry Finn was at one time or another. Nice try, but you can't really spin this by trying to make lemonade out of ministies sour lemons.
This is 2016, not 1885.

[Edited 2016-01-04 15:34:49]

TheCommodore

Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:56 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 6):

And thats exactly whats happened !      http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ticle.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11572476