mcogator
Topic Author

Two Israeli Arab Passengers Forcibly Removed

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:58 am

from an A3 flight from ATH to TLV after a few Israeli Jewish passengers protested that they should be subject to additional screening.

Quote:

The incident occurred at Athens airport on Monday night, when Jewish Israeli passengers decided that the two Israeli Arab passengers on the flight constituted a security risk. After bringing their concern to the attention of the crew, they prevented the flight from taking off by standing in the aisles.
The two Israeli Arabs finally acceded to crew requests that they disembark, in return for a hotel room and compensation.

According to the airline, “an initially small group” of passengers “very vocally and persistently” demanded that two Israeli Arab citizens be “checked for security issues.”
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1...95633

I'm not sure why the protesting Jewish passengers were not removed. That would have seemed to be the right case. How embarrassing must this be for the Israeli Arab passengers? This reminds me of the 6H incident that happened a while back.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli...ensate-5-arabs-for-discrimination/

Quote:
Israir airline and the Israeli Airport Authority were ordered to compensate five Arab Israeli passengers, one of whom was asked to leave a Tel Aviv–Eilat flight three years ago on the basis of a fictional and discriminatory security procedure.

According to a report on Channel 2, Israir invoked a purported profiling procedure banning groups of five or more “members of minorities” on a flight. (The expression refers to all minorities in Israel, but is often used as a euphemism for Arab Israelis.) In fact, no such procedure exists, and the court ruling indicated that the airline sought to boot the passenger because it needed his seat for a celebrity passenger.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

SCQ83

RE: Two Israeli Arab Passengers Forcibly Removed

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:30 am

Too bad from Aegean to succumb to those apartheid measures.

I wonder why those passengers don't fly El Al or Israir. They both do TLV-ATH.

777way

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:36 am

So the shameless have now started harassing their own Arab citizens abraod as well, must have though why not discriminate against them too so what if they are Israeli, after all America and Europe are doing it too.

And shame on the Arabs to get off, they shoudl have reamined on in protest as well no matter what.

seahawk

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:08 am

They should have told, that they are free to leave the flight, but won´t get their money back. It was mistake giving in to such demands.

A332DTW

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:41 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 2):
And shame on the Arabs to get off, they shoudl have reamined on in protest as well no matter what

I disagree. Had they done that, they would have somehow been portrayed as the agitators in this situation.

scbriml

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:09 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 1):
Too bad from Aegean to succumb to those apartheid measures.

It seems to me pretty much exactly the same thing happens repeatedly in America if some passengers are unhappy with "suspicious looking Arab men" or "men with brown skin who dare to speak Arabic".

So what's the solution?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

SCQ83

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 5):
It seems to me pretty much exactly the same thing happens repeatedly in America if some passengers are unhappy with "suspicious looking Arab men" or "men with brown skin who dare to speak Arabic".

So what's the solution?

In this case it is very easy. Jewish Israeli passengers who are afraid to fly with Arabs in a Western carrier should fly El Al. Israeli carriers have additional screening (even outside IL), so that should keep "terrorists" away. Of course probably they booked Aegean because it was cheaper. But that is like I book Saudia and get mad because I can't have a Daiquiri. You can't eat your cake, and have it too.

Aegean should have removed disruptive Jewish Israeli passengers, they are not the ones who decide who flies in the plane.

seahawk

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:32 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
But that is like I book Saudia and get mad because I can't have a Daiquiri. You can't eat your cake, and have it too.

Or like wanting to fly Kuwaiti as an Israel citizen..

777way

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 am

Do Arab Israeli's get harassed this way in utopian Israel as well? never get to hear of it.

b747400erf

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:04 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 8):

Do Arab Israeli's get harassed this way in utopian Israel as well? never get to hear of it.

Every country except Israel has no issues with bigotry and closed minded nationalism of any kind. Thankfully this is only a problem with Israel as you always so intelligently point out. I'm surprised it took you almost an hour after this story was posted to jump in here and start your typical hate speech.

[Edited 2016-01-06 03:06:06]

raffik

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:47 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 9):
typical hate speech

That is very harsh and unfair. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions and nothing he has said could possibly be labeled "hate speech"
- Alec

b747400erf

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 12):

I aint new! I agree with Raffik! Everyone is entiteled to their own opinion, which often vary wildely on this Forum! He has is views, as do you! I for one enjoy both of your Inputs!

Which part do you agree on? That neither of you know his post history, or that you all agree with him and choose to act naive about what he's said about Jews that makes him rush to this topic and post?

SCQ83

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:33 pm

The point here (taking the Arab-Israeli conflict aside) is that passengers seem to be more and more entitled to decide who can fly onboard with them.

What is people thinking about? As a passenger, I am not a security officer, a FA or a pilot, so if those professionals think that someone is suitable to fly... why should other passengers protest? If they have so many issues, they can fly private.

Toni_

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 pm

Quote:
"The flight was delayed by more than an hour-and-a-half until the two Israeli Arab passengers agreed to disembark. Even after that, the group of passengers insisted that the crew conduct an additional security check, causing the captain to warn them that they would be forcibly removed from the plane without compensation.

At that point, the passengers took their seats and the plane took off for Tel Aviv."

So it took the captain well over 90 minutes to figure out he was in charge? Can't help but wonder why he didn't have that attitude right off the bat.

I hope the 2 passengers make a case out of this. Wish I could say: "sad to read these kind of things in 2016", but unfortunately it's almost like normal now...

Shields

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Got to hand it to you, 777way. You are all over Israel-related threads like stink on...well, you know what I mean! Do you have some kind of automatic content generator that helps you post faster?--That's pretty sick if you do!

Well, talk ya later!

DDR

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:26 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 13):

Have to agree with my U.K. friend on this one. The poster he is talking about never misses a chance to trash Israel or Jewish people. His posts don't contribute to any discussion, he just spreads hate.

As for the topic, I do feel bad for the gentlemen that had to leave the flight. It's sad that the captain allowed this to happen. He is supposed to look out for ALL the passengers.

Malayil

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:24 pm

Which part do you agree on? That neither of you know his post history, or that you all agree with him and choose to act naive about what he's said about Jews that makes him rush to this topic and post?

While I agree the poster has a tendency to be biased against Israel, I don't see you condemning the actions of the people on this flight who wanted the Israeli Arabs off the flight. I guess these things go both ways...

raffik

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 11):
Are you new around here? Or are you unfamiliar with his viewpoints?

I have been a member of this forum for ten years actually. I think your comments about him personally are extremely inflammatory - and to imply that he has an association with ISIS is very dangerous territory on your part.

I very seldom comment on posts that have anything to do with Israeli/Arab conflict because people such as yourself come on to this forum and end up personally attacking anyone that has an opposing view to your own.

That neither of you know his post history, or that you all agree with him and choose to act naive about what he's said about Jews that makes him rush to this topic and post?

I don't follow his posts. I rarely view any of these posts because it does nothing but rile me and I have come to the conclusion, and acceptance that, in some people's eyes, Israel does no wrong and is a virtuous country.

Back to the topic- it is very unfortunate that this has happened to these people- and completely unacceptable that these people were evicted from their flight. It is enough to make you despair of the human race!

[Edited 2016-01-06 07:33:43]
- Alec

WIederling

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 14):

As a matter of policy I'd take both parties off the plane.
Potentially the accuser is the perpetrator and just producing a distraction.

( and it introduces some cost to the accuser.
Maybe getting a complementary thorough inspection
http://dailyhaymaker.com/wp-content/...edo-bear-demotivational-poster.jpg
brings some cortical pause ?)
Murphy is an optimist

sturmovik

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:51 pm

Quoting Malayil (Reply 18):
While I agree the poster has a tendency to be biased against Israel, I don't see you condemning the actions of the people on this flight who wanted the Israeli Arabs off the flight. I guess these things go both ways...

'What's it doing now?'

BoeingVista

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 8):

You do actually, they are beating people who are the wrong shade to death on the streets atm on suspicion of being a bad person.

Quote:
Eritrean man shot and beaten to death after being mistaken for 'terrorist' in Israeli bus station attack

An innocent bystander has died after being shot by a security guard and then beaten by a mob who thought he was the accomplice of an attacker who launched a deadly attack on a bus station.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...r-being-mistaken-for-a6699341.html

So thats a fact not any Daesh propoganga before you start..

Nor was not a unique incident, I can recall 3 or 4 such deaths in the last 3 or so months.

Quoting mcogator (Thread starter):
I'm not sure why the protesting Jewish passengers were not removed. That would have seemed to be the right case. How embarrassing must this be for the Israeli Arab passengers? This reminds me of the 6H incident that happened a while back.

The report goes on the say the pilot told the protestors if they wern't happy they could deplane and make their way ome at their own cost but the 2 innocent PAX chose to get off instead probably fearing for their life.
BV

euroflyer

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Well, these jewish Israelis acted just like they're used to in Israel, where apartheid is still the rule, so not so surprising after all.
It's a real shame that A3 crew followed these idiots' request.
Born to fly !

mixalakhs

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:47 pm

I think Aegean's stuff got in a middle of a situation that did not know how to handle it.
I think either decision would have been unfair.
Even me, I do not know what would have I done.
I feel bad for the passengers that had to disembark the plane but on the other hand, I was not on the plane, so I can not take a clear position.
Lets hope it will never happen again.

WIederling

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 25):

My understanding is that Israel wrangled their own personnel into airports to check there.
There have been reports that these "checkers" tried to get their hands on non Israel destined passengers too.
A bit overbearing to put it mildly.
Murphy is an optimist

DolphinAir747

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:01 pm

What ridiculous behavior. There are too many idiotic Orthodox Jews in Israel who want to live in a fantasy bubble.

directorguy

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:10 pm

I think what happened on the A3 flight is despicable on so many levels. It's pure racism, and discrimination, and is so indicative of what is so wrong with Israel. What happened is that a mob essentially forced two passengers off the plane. These two passengers are not 'Palestinians', they are Israeli citizens of Arab origin (although they may identify as Palestinian), who hold Israeli passports, just like Jewish citizens of Israel. The fact that the mob felt able to act the way they did, in a foreign country, on a foreign airline, to co-citizens speaks volumes about the Jewish Israeli sense of entitlement vis-a-vis Christian/Muslim Israelis.
I understand this is Civ Av, but this topic cannot be discussed without bringing politics to the forefront.

SCQ83

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 25):
Don't all flights to TLV get additional screening at the gate ? I fly UA from EWR to TLV several times per year, and they always secure the area around the gate (I believe C-138), and run ALL passengers regardless of age, religious affiliation or nationality through additional security. Don't they do this in Europe?

Flying recently with TK... there was no additional security in the gate but there were quite a few people around the check-in with different uniforms (yet no questions asked to anyone I think). The other thing I noticed were a few security guards around the plane when boarding (we were bussed).

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 28):
What ridiculous behavior. There are too many idiotic Orthodox Jews in Israel who want to live in a fantasy bubble.

I don't think that would be necessarily Orthodox Jews, which in any case flying from ATH is not very likely. Israeli travellers are well known to be "demanding"

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/the-pr...em-with-israeli-travelers-1.397264

Flying IST-TLV (a short ride on a packed A321) with a lot of Americans (both Christian pilgrims and obviously many American Jews) the difference with the "locals" heading home was quite astonishing. I even felt sorry for the Turkish FAs... they didn't stop for the two hours of the flight (there was almost no time to serve the food with some intermediate turbulences) while (many) passengers (not Americans   ) had the urgence to ask for more water, bread, going to the toilet. So that sense of entitlement and lack of behaviour coupled with some terrorist paranoia and racism produces this stuff.

777way

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:24 pm

That ISIS accusation could be dangerous, if in the west I might have been spied on and paid a visit by agents, anyways ISIS dont hate Israel its very obvious, so they are YOUR friends in reality, burning the Palestine flag says it all big blunder on Mossads part.

UAEflyer

Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 11):
He's basically ISIS' official social media account.

Do you realise that this words can put you in deep trouble if he decided to sue you in your country ?
I do recommend you apologise and delet this weird sentence from our forum.

Back to the thread, I think that the best solution for this case was to blacklist those uncivilised people action, racism is history to most of us here at least.

Malayil

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 31):
That ISIS accusation could be dangerous, if in the west I might have been spied on and paid a visit by agents, anyways ISIS dont hate Israel its very obvious, so they are YOUR friends in reality, burning the Palestine flag says it all big blunder on Mossads part.

At the same dude, let's try to be civil.

q120

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:32 pm

I just want to note to the moderators... at what point do you actually respect the rules established by the website?
Or do you just let it be because its a general bashing discussion on Israel? and that according to airlines.net is acceptable.

PROHIBITED CONTENT.

You must not post to the Service any Content that, as reasonably determined by Airliners.net, is or appears to be the following:

untrue, misleading, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, invasive to another person's privacy or protected data, hateful, or racially or otherwise objectionable;
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results

QANTAS077

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:38 pm

Quoting Q120 (Reply 36):
Or do you just let it be because its a general bashing discussion on Israel?

at what point did you fail to understand what happened? and who it involved...don't want this kind of news? then put a call in to Netanyahu and tell him to get his citizens to pull their heads in.

jetwet1

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:40 pm

As the majority of this thread is likely to get edited by the Mods :

Quoting raffik (Reply 19):
I think your comments about him personally are extremely inflammatory

No, they are pretty much accurate.

Quoting raffik (Reply 19):
and to imply that he has an association with ISIS is very dangerous territory on your part.

Very true, that was going to far.

Quoting WIederling (Reply 20):

As a matter of policy I'd take both parties off the plane.

Yep

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 28):
There are too many idiotic Orthodox Jews in Israel who want to live in a fantasy bubble.

There are to many of every religion that want to live in their own personal fantasy bubble.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 30):
Israeli travellers are well known to be "demanding"

Also true.

Oh please, dude you live in Pakistan, if any country is going to spy on or visit you based on a post on an airline forum, it won't be a western country, it will be your own.

Anyways.....Bad move by A3, remove everyone involved and settle it in the terminal.

airportugal310

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Quoting Q120 (Reply 36):
I just want to note to the moderators... at what point do you actually respect the rules established by the website?
Or do you just let it be because its a general bashing discussion on Israel? and that according to airlines.net is acceptable.

They let things get out of hand, then delete arbitrary comments that they deem "flamebait" while allowing other crap from people they like. But if you're on the naughty list, prepare to go down in flames!

All you have to do to see the proof in this is go to that filth hole known as "Non-Av"
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

777way

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 38):
Oh please, dude you live in Pakistan,

Oh please, I said if I was in a western country, the paranoia especialy in yours

Edited to add quote.

[Edited 2016-01-06 11:22:15]

art

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Passengers should be sanctioned when they interfere with the operation of an aircraft IMO. In this instance the wrong people were removed from the aircraft IMO.

777way

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 39):

Quoting Q120 (Reply 36):

If Israeli is not going to be attacked in a thread dealing with behaviour of Israelis is who should be? Greece?

jacobin777

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:30 pm

Quoting art (Reply 41):
Passengers should be sanctioned when they interfere with the operation of an aircraft IMO. In this instance the wrong people were removed from the aircraft IMO.

These types of things need to stop and A3 should investigate the situation. While its true the captain has the last word and pax safety is the foremost important consideration, if it turns out he/she made a poor decision regarding this situation then I believe the captain should be reprimanded in some sort of way.
"Up the Irons!"

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting Q120 (Reply 36):

They let it go as far as they can, but then they only moderate what is against their personal opinions. It's a shame, but this website has been headed downhill for a long time and will only continue to do so with the current moderation team.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 39):
They let things get out of hand, then delete arbitrary comments that they deem "flamebait" while allowing other crap from people they like. But if you're on the naughty list, prepare to go down in flames!

Exactly, if you don't support the ideology of the moderators, you might as well not post, because they'll delete it, then ignore any meaningful attempt to talk to them about why it was done.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

art

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:44 pm

anyways ISIS dont hate Israel

ROFL

777way

Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Quoting art (Reply 46):
ROFL

Really? they are attacking everyone else, no Israeli interest targetted anywhere yet, not jewish incase some one drags in both the paris attacks, but Israel specific.

bennett123

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:07 pm

I do not recall attacks on Israel by them.

Strange as they seem to hate the rest of us.

B737900ER

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 42):

If Israeli is not going to be attacked in a thread dealing with behaviour of Israelis is who should be? Greece?

Why attack the entire country for the behavior of two of its more radical citizens? Isn't that what's wrong with the world right now. It as if I accused your entire country for its behavior because some of its citizens want to kill me for openly talking about my religion, which happens to be different from there's. That's not fair.

Time to grow up world. See things for what they are and hold INDIVIDUALS accountable for their actions, not entire groups of people.

unrave

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:20 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 17):
The poster he is talking about never misses a chance to trash Israel or Jewish people. His posts don't contribute to any discussion, he just spreads hate

Not just Israel /Jewish though. My very first comment on the civil aviation forum here was followed by a unsavoury comment by the said poster about my religion that he himself deduced based on my flag.

[Edited 2016-01-06 12:46:40]
Denial of racism is as egregious as racism itself

Flaps

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:31 pm

The ONLY value to this entire thread is its entertainment value. That I will admit is pure gold.

The responsibility for this rests squarely on A3. I'm reasonably certain that if they had the chance to do it over they would have thrown everyone off and canceled the flight.

jacobin777

Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 51):
I'm reasonably certain that if they had the chance to do it over they would have thrown everyone off and canceled the flight.

I disagree. We've seen this too many times now and haven't seen any carriers being pro-active.
"Up the Irons!"

jfk69

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:31 pm

of course more truth comes out....

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.695905

"A passenger on the flight identified only as Nissim told Israeli Army Radio that one passenger appeared suspicious. He said no one cited the passengers' ethnicity as a reason for their concerns. He said "no one was racist."
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.695905"

Just like the Iberia issue with the Pilot saying "Welcome to palestine" which was not said in the end.....give these stories some time and the truth comes out.

Now close the thread.

rampbro

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 6):
Jewish Israeli passengers who are afraid to fly with Arabs in a Western carrier should fly El Al.

Ironically, it seems the passengers removed from the flight were re-accommodated......on LY!

777way

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:39 am

Quoting B737900ER (Reply 49):
Why attack the entire country for the behavior of two of its more radical citizens?

Two? its started off with three or so but ended up with more than half the planes passengers all Israeli Jews wanting them off.

It means more than half of Israel, like atleast 70% harbour this hateful stance on fellow Arab citizens, their love for Ethiopian jews is also known quite well.

Quoting Flaps (Reply 51):

The responsibility for this rests squarely on A3. I'm reasonably certain that if they had the chance to do it over they would have thrown everyone off and canceled the flight.

Pilot did say anyone who feels unsafe flying get off the plane and dont expect to be compensated.

Quoting unrave (Reply 50):

Not just Israel /Jewish though. My very first comment on the civil aviation forum here was followed by a unsavoury comment by the said poster about my religion that he himself deduced based on my flag.

You popped in and attacked my country when i was discussing its peoples views on a fellow Abrahamic origin religion, there was no need for you to chime in and comment, I rarely ever say negative stuff about your people and NEVER about your religion, even then I had only stated that orthodox Chrsitians and Jews think of you in an even worse manner, when you tried to make its seem only islam and pakistani muslims condem idolatory or dislike hindus.

So mind your own next time and dont interfere if it dosent concern your country and things about it.

seahawk

Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:57 am

Quoting jfk69 (Reply 53):
of course more truth comes out....

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.695905

"A passenger on the flight identified only as Nissim told Israeli Army Radio that one passenger appeared suspicious. He said no one cited the passengers' ethnicity as a reason for their concerns. He said "no one was racist."
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.695905"

Just like the Iberia issue with the Pilot saying "Welcome to palestine" which was not said in the end.....give these stories some time and the truth comes out.

Now close the thread.

So what made him suspicious?