Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Breaking: Iran Seizes Two US Navy Boats In Gulf

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:09 pm

News coming in that Iran has seized two US Navy boats. Hopefully this does not escalate and they release them .

news.sky.com

flyingturtle

RE: Breaking: Iran Seizes Two US Navy Boats In Gulf

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

Perhaps they strayed into Iranian waters, as did the infamous USS Vincennes a few years back...

David

Revelation

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:17 pm

All the various "mutt and dog" GOP presidential candidates are rejoicing!

I bet this will become 2016's Benghazi.

And I say this not knowing any of the facts, other than it's a situation ripe for GOP eploiitation.

OA260
Topic Author

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 1):

Reports coming in they did.

mt99

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 pm

"One senior official told NBC News the Iranians understand it was a mistake and have agreed to release the Americans in international waters within hours. "

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., said on MSNBC that diplomacy between U.S. and Iranian officials "is working."

"Hopefully this will be resolved, and it won't be an issue that we're talking about in a couple of hours," she sai

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pe...y-boats-held-iran-military-n495031

einsteinboricua

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:34 pm

Republicans will already have their fundraising emails at the ready, saying we need to nuke Iran. If Iran does follow through and releases the crew, I wonder what the GOP line will be.

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Hmm maybe not the smartest move by Iran when they already have a lot of Sunni muslim countries against them. You would think they have enough enemies already.

flyingturtle

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 6):
Hmm maybe not the smartest move by Iran when they already have a lot of Sunni muslim countries against them. You would think they have enough enemies already.

Nope, any self-respecting country is going to detain foreign soldiers when go to the wrong side of the border. These sailors have a story to tell at home, their commander will get a rebuke, and everything will turn out fine.

And regarding the Saudis - they are on the losing end anyway. Iran has nothing to fear here. The UAE buy western military goods for billions without end, but yet have huge troubles fighting this little war in Yemen. They're running out of mercenaries. And as Iran had to learn coping with trade sanctions, the UAE economy will come crashing down in the next years. Any Saudi is either employed by the government, or is given a "job" at a private company just to fill the legal quota.

David

[Edited 2016-01-12 14:04:48]

csturdiv

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 2):

I thought that was the dumbest thing I have read online today, but then I came across this gem.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 5):
Republicans will already have their fundraising emails at the ready, saying we need to nuke Iran.

TheCommodore

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 6):

Apparently, their vessels became "disabled" and they drifted into Iranian waters.

Iran has said the personnel are fine and safe and will be allowed to continue there trip once the vessels are presumably repaired .

wingman

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Some jackass is saying the boats may have run out of gas or suffered mechanical breakdowns inside Iranian waters. Yeah OK.

12 guys probably eating some yummy dinner right about now and concocting a decent excuse for the nearest Admiral in charge.

moo

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 9):
Apparently, their vessels became "disabled" and they drifted into Iranian waters.

Please tell me that was a deliberate almost quotation of Top Gun  

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:18 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 7):

I know that Saudi is the worse of two bad cops, so yeah I agree with what you're saying.

flyingturtle

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:45 pm

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 8):

Yes, the GOP goons already took that predictable position... bad, bad Iran snatching Amurrican heroes from, uh, the free waters:

“It was dumb for Iran to do it and action has to be taken—diplomatic, economic action has to be taken,” Rep. Peter King (R., N.Y.) said in an interview. “Iran can’t be allowed to get away. This can’t go without action being taken.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/iran-detains-two-u-s-navy-boats-1452634883

David

bgm

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:50 pm

I thought that was the dumbest thing I have read online today, but then I came across this gem.

You clearly haven't been listening to the garbage that spews from the GOP candidates then. (Not that I blame you, I try to ignore them as much as possible).

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 13):
“It was dumb for Iran to do it and action has to be taken—diplomatic, economic action has to be taken,” Rep. Peter King (R., N.Y.) said in an interview. “Iran can’t be allowed to get away. This can’t go without action being taken.”

You mean just like how the US shouldn't have been allowed to get away with shooting down an Iranian airliner? Oh wait...   

Caryjack

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:50 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 2):

I bet this will become 2016's Benghazi.

And I say this not knowing any of the facts, other than it's a situation ripe for GOP eploiitation.

You should have said, "I don't know anything," then shut up.   

Republicans will already have their fundraising emails at the ready, saying we need to nuke Iran. If Iran does follow through and releases the crew, I wonder what the GOP line will be.

So who's your source, Revelation?   

TheCommodore

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:12 am

Quoting moo (Reply 11):
Please tell me that was a deliberate almost quotation of Top Gun  

Oh God, not another movie in the making

Yes, the GOP goons already took that predictable position... bad, bad Iran snatching Amurrican heroes from, uh, the free waters:

Especially if it turns out it was nothing more than a mechanical problem, and there was NO other business sneaky or otherwise, from Iranian side !

Revelation

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:40 am

I thought that was the dumbest thing I have read online today

I guess you just aren't familiar with American politics, it only took a couple of hours for me to be proven right and for you to own the "Dumbest Thing on the Internet Today" award.

You may want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_surprise and if that's not enough there's 33 references...

BestWestern

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:59 am

I had the joy of Fox News last night and this morning in my Jakarta hotel - three subjects.

1 - Bengazhi - yes still going on about it.
2 - emails - yes still going on about it.
3 - Iran - end of the world approaching.

And the still manage to say fair and balanced every ten minutes.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:11 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 18):

Its a marketing slogan.

I never understood the hate for Fox News. Its a private company that caters to conservative viewpoints. What's so hard to understand about that? Its not a government funded news channel committing fraud against the citizens. Its a business that's found an extremely profitable market to sell advertising to. Everyone under the age of 50 knows Fox news is crazy, but that's not their demographic. Your parents and grandparents are because it supports their 1950's world view.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:49 am

If your profile is correct, then you're not involved at all with American politics. Hence, if you have no idea how the parties operate here, your opinion is uncalled for. While open calls for nuclear war are an exaggeration, war fare still remains an option for the war hawks. Sen Cotton for example.

Quoting Caryjack (Reply 15):
So who's your source, Revelation?  

Republicans today are so unpredictable that it's not hard to envision them doing this. If you read carefully (which I can see you didn't), you can see that it says "will already have"...not "already have", which denotes certainty. If they did this when Clinton was testifying in Capitol Hill, it's won't surprise me if something like this happens. Anyone not blinded by partisan ideology can see this clearly.

L-188

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:30 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 16):
and there was NO other business sneaky or otherwise, from Iranian side !

Don't underestimate the Iranian/Persian capacity for underhandedness. My brother had stories about everytime they flew down the gulf when he was deployed there about Iranian "Controlers" trying to give them fake headings to make them stay into Iranian airspace.

csturdiv

Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:31 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 17):
I guess you just aren't familiar with American politics, it only took a couple of hours for me to be proven right and for you to own the "Dumbest Thing on the Internet Today" award.

I am an American expat, so I am a little familiar with the American political environment, and I do follow the news from back home. Thanks for your concern though. And I will go run my arms under cold water for your burn.
Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 20):
If your profile is correct, then you're not involved at all with American politics. Hence, if you have no idea how the parties operate here, your opinion is uncalled for.

Actually my profile is correct, thanks for your concern though. Not sure how good your reading skills are, but beneath every post I make there is the text "An American expat from the ORD area living and working in Australia". So as you can see, not only am I am American, I am very familiar with American politics and I am very familiar with idiotic statements that both sides of the political spectrum make when anything happens. Oh, and your statement that my statement was uncalled for, is in fact uncalled for.

Revelation

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:04 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 19):

Its a marketing slogan.

I never understood the hate for Fox News. Its a private company that caters to conservative viewpoints. What's so hard to understand about that? Its not a government funded news channel committing fraud against the citizens. Its a business that's found an extremely profitable market to sell advertising to. Everyone under the age of 50 knows Fox news is crazy, but that's not their demographic. Your parents and grandparents are because it supports their 1950's world view.

You're really answering your own question.

By countless repetitions it tells its viewers that it's fair and balanced so that its audience believes it, then it pounds streams of unfair and unbalanced reporting into their heads. Then when we actually have to interact with such "crazy" people (your word choice) such as parents and grandparents at family and/or public occasions they're convinced they aren't crazy, yet they share their crazy views with everyone at the event and expect everyone to agree with them. Then either the rest of us either humor them / ignore them / are embarrassed to be related to them / get in a big fight with them. Pick your choice, none of them are good.

Then consider how good Roger Ailes (sp) and his ilk are at presenting "dog whistles" ( ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics ) a lot of these same "crazy" people straight out tell you that FOX endorses things it doesn't actually directly endorse so they feel totally justified taking even more extreme positions. In my personal experience these things I get told tend to be extremely anti-poor and anti-minority.

In short, the FOX echo chamber has created a bunch of people who feel totally justified taking extreme conservative positions, and the rest of us are left to deal with the aftermath.

One small example: one family friend told me that he learned after his dad passed that his mom doesn't have much retirement income to live on because dad was convinced in 2001 that FOX was telling him that 9/11 would lead to a massive crash in the stock market so he sold everything at the bottom of the market instead of riding things out. Dad didn't tell anyone else about this because his now extreme right wing views really prevented him from discussing anything meaningful with any family members because he'd burned so many bridges (see above).

seb146

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 19):
Its a private company that caters to conservative viewpoints

Which is fine. But, when they call themselves "news" and "fair and balanced" is what we take issue with. They are not news and they are not fair and balanced.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:21 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 23):
In short, the FOX echo chamber has created a bunch of people who feel totally justified taking extreme conservative positions, and the rest of us are left to deal with the aftermath.

I think you're underestimating the cultural differences in the country- particularly the south. Fox is just exploiting feelings that have existed down here for generations.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 24):
Which is fine. But, when they call themselves "news" and "fair and balanced" is what we take issue with.

Its their right to report using whatever source they choose. Its a business. No different than MSNBC, Inforwars, or RT. They are in it for the revenue.

Do I trust Fox news to report anything political in an accurate light? No. Neither does RT or CNN or BBC. Each business reports it in their own branded way and its our job to listen to it all and form an opinion on that.

solarflyer22

Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:31 am

Maybe they should have clarified on their maps that its the Persian Gulf, not the "Arabian Gulf"?

I am sure they were spying and even if a ship lost power, the other Patrol boat was right there to tow it out of harms way. The current is not strong and you would not be overwhelmed all of sudden. Farsi Island is a very strategic Island right smack in the middle and is used only by IRGC. There are no civilian structures on the Island.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 1):
Perhaps they strayed into Iranian waters, as did the infamous USS Vincennes a few years back...

David

Bravo. See a Swiss person would know that. Vincennes violated their territorial waters, opened fire and shot down a civilian airliner killing 290, then alleged it was all Iran's fault.

Pyrex

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:00 am

But, when they call themselves "news"

So does MSNBC, CNN, The New York Times, etc... as usual, the hate about Fox News is just about "the one that got away". Liberals won't rest until they have full control of the media, period, nothing else will do.

Caryjack

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:44 am

Republicans today are so unpredictable that it's not hard to envision them doing this.

So you just made it up. Apologies to Revelation

If you read carefully (which I can see you didn't),

Of course I read it carefully: two short sentences, can't be hard.

You said:
Republicans will already have their fundraising emails at the ready, saying we need to nuke Iran.

Fine...where are the emails and who's calling for nukes?

If they did this when Clinton was testifying in Capitol Hill, it's won't surprise me if something like this happens. Anyone not blinded by partisan ideology can see this clearly.

Is this another one of your visions, or did you just make this up too?
Thanks,
Cary

Aesma

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:34 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 27):
So does MSNBC, CNN, The New York Times, etc... as usual, the hate about Fox News is just about "the one that got away". Liberals won't rest until they have full control of the media, period, nothing else will do.

If you can see the difference between CNN "bias" and Fox News crazyness, it's not worth discussing imho.

See what happens when conservatives can get their way right now in Poland (after Hungary).

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 23):
one family friend told me that he learned after his dad passed that his mom doesn't have much retirement income to live on because dad was convinced in 2001 that FOX was telling him that 9/11 would lead to a massive crash in the stock market so he sold everything at the bottom of the market instead of riding things out.

Which, to be fair, I distinctly remember CNBC reporting as well.

I scoffed at them, just as I did the Fox business analysts.

flyingturtle

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:38 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 29):
See what happens when conservatives can get their way right now in Poland (after Hungary).

It's scary.

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 26):

Thanks, but again it shows the importance of knowing a few but historical facts... it's not the first time it happened.

But other pundits criticize Obama for not using a harder stance against Iran in this case, or for not mentioning this in the State of the Onion speech.

Well, d'uh, this is going to take a few days. There's no way to expedite this. They trespassed and they're detained for the moment. I wish politicians would use their brains just for a moment. Wait, they have none? Oh.

David

notaxonrotax

If you can see the difference between CNN "bias" and Fox News crazyness, it's not worth discussing imho.

I think you are missing a "´t" in this sentence.......and I wholeheartedly agree with you!

CNN is not perfect, but come on: FOX is just taking the mick!

No Tax On Rotax

seb146

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 27):
Liberals won't rest until they have full control of the media

waaaaa.... Fox is biggest on cable!!!! waaaa... stop picking on poor Fox for demanding they be on everyone's TV! They are the under dogs because they say they are!! waaaaa.... They have the word "news" in their title so they are the only legitimate news!!! How dare you question that!

Look at the Fox demographic. Retired white people. Working people and college aged use the internet and cell phones to get information. If true graphics were shown, Fox would be nothing. Get over it.

They are not news. They are not news. They are not news.

NYT has always questioned the government on the op-ed page and CNN has always questioned the government when they are not on crash watch. So why is that such a bad thing? Question leadership? There is nothing wrong with that.

When people were questioning GWB leadership, Fox was mad. That was un-American. Only patriots stand with the president. Now, it is unpatriotic to stand with the president and patriotic to question him. News should not downshift like that. News should say "X said this, Y said that." That's how it was in my day.

What Fox says is news is "Muslim extremists support Obama's hatred for America..."

How is that news? That some idiot with a gun hates America? Have you seen the bird sanctuary in Oregon?

Again, as a "liberal" (conservative speak for 'hates America' and atheist baby killer who hates a far right one party system), I don't care if Fox peddles their hate speech. Just stop lying and calling yourselves "news" and "fair and balanced" because Fox is none of those things!

And stop comparing Fox to MSNBC. MSNBC has never said they are news nor fair and balanced. They make no bones about what they are. They may be biased, but at least they are honest about it!

Again, as a "liberal" (again, read the definition above) I don't hate Fox, per se. Just the lie that Fox says they are news. Just stop the lie they are "news" and "fair and balanced" and I will not be as against them.

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 25):

Its their right to report using whatever source they choose. Its a business

And, again, to call themselves news is bad for the American people.

csturdiv

Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:39 am

I think people are confusing the opinion shows with news, which they are not. Fox News has a great news dept. I'd rather get my news there than from a majority of peoples news sources, memes, Comedy Central and The Onion.

flyingturtle

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 34):

I have difficulty understanding your irony. The Onion is a reliable news source, although they use a heavily sardonic undertone.

David

flyingturtle

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:23 am

The sailors have been released, some reports say.

And here are some pictures: http://www.sepahnews.com/shownews.As...b2a700-a9b3-46c7-85dc-02a7a1adba4d

David

N1120A

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 7):
These sailors have a story to tell at home, their commander will get a rebuke, and everything will turn out fine.

The commander of the USS Vincennes got a commendation for murdering 290 Iranians.

Redd

Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:40 pm

Quoting Caryjack (Reply 28):
Fine...where are the emails and who's calling for nukes?

The fine art of sarcasm illudes this one.

See what happens when conservatives can get their way right now in Poland

They already have. In the 8 short weeks they've been in power they have taken over pubic broadcasting, fired all of the management board and all of the journalists whose ideologies do not align with the party line.

Police can now electronically track you and all of your internet communications for up to 6 months with no court order or even probable cause. That means everything including private pictures.

They're about to ruin the economy by giving every parent 500pln per child (not for the first child but each one there after) which will be received and taken advantage of only by those that don't need the money. As the poor people that do will not be able to take it as it will raise their income to a level that will take their state benefits away.

The national currency has plummeted.

They've hijacked and taken the power away from the Constitutional Tribunal, so they can avoid the constitution all together.

The man who runs the party, Kaczynski, essentially holds the seat of President and Prime minister without getting a single vote.

And I'll stop there as It'll just ruin my day.

mham001

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:26 pm

I had the joy of Fox News last night and this morning in my Jakarta hotel - three subjects.

1 - Bengazhi - yes still going on about it.
2 - emails - yes still going on about it.
3 - Iran - end of the world approaching.

I don't understand why you wouldn't consider two very hot spots in the world and the reasons behind their heat as less than newsworthy? For example, the Benghazi inquiry has finally and officially uncovered the motives behind killing Qadaffi. Would you rather that have been suppressed? "Benghazi" has always been waaay over-hyped in my opinion but based on Hillary's behaviors, completely necessary to get to the truth in Libya. But I suppose there were people like you saying the same things about Woodward and Bernstein - obsessed with a two-bit burglary.

DocLightning

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 36):

The sailors have been released, some reports say.

And here are some pictures: http://www.sepahnews.com/shownews.As...b2a700-a9b3-46c7-85dc-02a7a1adba4d

David

Confirmed, multiple sources. Didn't take 18 hours. But yes, let's nuke Iran.

LMP737

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:46 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 9):

Well they either had a mechanical issue or just plain bad seamanship. Either way I wonder why they were sending two riverine boats across the gulf is beyond me. I'm not the only one thinking that.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/13/politi...-capture-navy-criticism/index.html

Rep. King is the head blowhard for a group of blowhards and it is best that he be ignored.

LMP737

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:55 pm

This indecent reminds me of story about an SAS team that was operating in Northern Ireland that had wandered into Ireland. After being detained the soldier in charge was reported as saying "I was hoping to make sergeant but after this screw up there's no chance".

Flaps

Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:29 pm

This whole thread is nothing more than a disgusting regurgitation of unsupported political opinions. Three quarters of it has absolutely nothing to do with the events the thread is supposed to be about. Its really a disgrace and a perfect example of why this site has gone so far downhill.

If you want to bitch about Fox or CNN or Jazeera or whatever then open a thread about that instead of hijacking every thread that has any type of political ramifications. The same tired old irrelevant ad nauseum posts from the same old strident posters in thread after thread is really old and sucking the life out of these forums.

If you can't stick to the topic please show some respect to the forum, the site and the A-net community in general by not wasting the time of those posters that can.

Rant Over

rfields5421

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 am

I think you're underestimating the cultural differences in the country- particularly the south. Fox is just exploiting feelings that have existed down here for generations.

If this were 1963, Fox would be pushing "negros aren't intelligent enough to vote, and aren't honest enough to be trusted around white women"

Yes, I grew up, and live in the segregated South. Yes, it's still segregated in many respects.

However, Fox News isn't doing this to push a social agenda, to push a conservative agenda.

Fox News is a vast money making machine for Murdoch, and just like predecessors Hearst and Pulitzer, making money is more important than truth.

They will never say it out loud, but the owners of Fox News want a minority democrat in the White House, now in in the future.

Caryjack

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:41 am

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 44):
If this were 1963, Fox would be pushing "negros aren't intelligent enough to vote, and aren't honest enough to be trusted around white women"

You're just full of $hit.

bgm

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:48 am

Quoting Caryjack (Reply 45):

You're just full of $hit.

Actually, he's probably right on the money.

Fox News is a vast money making machine for Murdoch, and just like predecessors Hearst and Pulitzer, making money is more important than truth.

The problem is, it pushes these right wingers to become even more extreme, even more hateful, even more bigoted, and suddenly you have someone like Trump who's leading the Republican nomination. It's brought out a very, very ugly side of the US. Sad state of affairs indeed.

Caryjack

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:16 am

Quoting Flaps (Reply 43):
This whole thread is nothing more than a disgusting regurgitation of unsupported political opinions. Three quarters of it has absolutely nothing to do with the events the thread is supposed to be about. Its really a disgrace and a perfect example of why this site has gone so far downhill.

Flaps is right on the money. To say that the Non-Avi forum is specious is a gross under statement.

Quoting bgm (Reply 46):
Actually, he's probably right on the money.

No he's not. If he were right on the money his post would have discussed the topic.

Revelation

Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:45 am

I don't think it's very particular to the South. The people I'm thinking of are from the Northeast US.

I do agree Fox is exploiting an existing mindset, in this case that the world's problems are caused by minorities and poor people. It's an extremely strange mindset strange because poor people and minorities have very little power to change things whereas rich individuals and corporations surely do have a lot of power to change things.

And IMHO the mindset is stronger in older people versus younger people, but of course exists in all ages.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:54 am

If your profile is correct, then you're not involved at all with American politics. Hence, if you have no idea how the parties operate here, your opinion is uncalled for.

Einstein, regardless of where anyone is from, they are more than capable of having a clue.

Anyone not blinded by partisan ideology can see this clearly.

You do understand that rubs in multiple ways, right?

They are not news

Really?

they are not fair and balanced.

Please don't get hung up on a marketing slogan.

Quoting seb146 (Reply 33):

waaaaa.... Fox is biggest on cable!!!! waaaa... stop picking on poor Fox for demanding they be on everyone's TV!

Really?? lol

They are the under dogs because they say they are!! waaaaa.... T

Actually they usually say they are the biggest and best. Oh, I forgot. "waaaaa...." lol

They have the word "news" in their title so they are the only legitimate news!!! How dare you question that!

Seriously?

Retired white people.

Here we go. Throw the "old white guy" line in - that's a sure win!  
They are not news. They are not news. They are not news.

Ok, Dorothy, we get it. They are not news. You can stop clicking your heels now.

NYT has always questioned the government on the op-ed page and CNN has always questioned the government when they are not on crash watch. So why is that such a bad thing? Question leadership? There is nothing wrong with that.

Apparently it's only good/bad when one thinks it's good/bad.

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 34):

I think people are confusing the opinion shows with news, which they are not. Fox News has a great news dept. I'd rather get my news there than from a majority of peoples news sources, memes, Comedy Central and The Onion.

Exactly. I can tune in MSNBC and get "the news" and it's pretty much identical to Fox, CNN, etc. It's the opinion and entertainment times - albeit the vast majority of the time - that goes off in biased directions. People are absolutely free to tune into whichever they choose.

They will never say it out loud, but the owners of Fox News want a minority democrat in the White House, now in in the future.

I'm a conservative but I'd agree with this in the sense that it's more about the money and it's better for a Conservative talk organization to have something - such as a minority democrat in the White House - to lather up over.

Having said that, I really think people are painting with a broad brush way too often. Nonetheless, there's no stopping it.

-Dave