Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

Terror Attack In Ouagadougou, At Least 27 Killed

Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:19 pm

At least one hotel, the Splendid Hotel, and a restaurant, were attacked. Foreigners were clearly the target, like in the similar Bamako attack. It was also a "hostage" situation, lasting hours. And the culprit is the same, AQMI/AQIM (al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb). Again Mokhtar Belmokhtar is the leading suspect in fomenting the attack.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35332792

edit : about the restaurant, it was a cafe on the other side of the street from the hotel, Café Cappuccino, that was attacked.

On top of the local security forces, French special forces and US special forces participated in the fighting.

[Edited 2016-01-16 06:29:51]
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TheCommodore

RE: Terror Attack In Ouagadougou, At Least 27 Killed

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:41 pm

I believe 2 Australians have been kidnapped, a doctor and his wife.

Apparently they were living there for a while doing volunteer work.

Hope it has a good happy outcome and they get rescued.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

YVRLTN

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:46 am

28 dead incl 6 Canadians

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35332792

RIP  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

LAX772LR

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:03 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 2):
28 dead incl 6 Canadians

Sadder still is that the world isn't going to even pretend to care, for more than about a week anyway... it's Africa.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:09 pm

There was a similar attack in Jakarta, Indonesia a few days ago. I waited to see if anybody would post anything about it, but nothing happened. The only thing I'm sure is that the Indonesian government will be quite tough with the attacker's supporters and I expect a few dawn executions to happen soon.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Aesma
Topic Author

Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:58 pm

But Indonesia also panders to Islamists, so it's not a comparable situation. Indonesia is like Saudi Arabia in this respect.

Mali, Burkina Faso, Chad, Ivory Coast, Niger, Bénin, are more cosmopolitan and the Islam practiced there is more laid back.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Actually the islam practised in South East Asia is traditionally also laid back (in this I include the Muslim regions of the Philippines as well as Malaysia). The problem is that many people of this region have been working in the Arab Gulf states and there got into contact with Salafi and Wahabi preachers, who are by now also missionating in South East Asia. The result is an Arabization of the traditional customs in this very mixed region. The Indonesian province of Aceh has AFAIK always been more religious than other regions (don't forget that Indonesia includes regions with Hindu, Animist and Christian majorities, e.g. the people on Bali are for most part Hindus and in West Irian (Western part of New Guinea) Islam is not important at all. In Borneo most of the tribes of the interior just pay lip service to Islam, but still keep most of their old animist traditions (with the exception of head hunting). In the Philippines most Muslims are pretty easygoing, but over the last few years I have seen an increase of local Muslims wearing Arab or Pakistani dress and the women wearing Niqap, which is completely against their traditions and absolutely useless in the humid-hot tropical climate.

The problem are well financed missionaries from the Gulf states, who take over jobs, which should be done by the local governments, like running charities and who are teaching that the only correct interpretation of Islam is the one practiced in Saudi Arabia.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi