Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bhill

RE: What Is The Future Of Saudi Arabia?

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 47):
I would like to add something

There is a lot of schools, some are excellent, the new generation are getting a good education, a lot of high school graduates, are following college studies overseas there are very smart and the percentage of success in there studies is over 90%. The last figure i heard was over 60,00 students are in foreign colleges.
The problem is with the Saudi's is that they trust foreigners more when it comes to fields like medicine and engineering, old habits dies slow, from my own experience lately, Saudi doctors are as good if not better, than any foreign doctors, but they need the chance to prove it.

On the lower side of the scale, even the poorest Saudi will refuse to do labor work, it's impossible to find a Saudi driver, gardener, cleaner etc... There is the problem. The kingdom is loosing a LOT of money from the international money transfers that our guest workers are sending them back home.

Are the males and females educated side by side? Is religious intolerance against the law? No nation is perfect, but the KSA seems stuck in the 600's when it comes to civics....and what protections the monarchy DOES provide to women, when it is no longer in power...it may get ugly.
Carpe Pices

QANTAS077

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 27):
So you represent the people of Saudi Arabia these days?

doesn't it bother you that the Al Saud family picks and chooses who'll run the place, etc?

mandala499

Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 46):
With all due respect, and i am expressing myself as a person who went to Hajj few times and more so for Umrah,

Yes, the spending during Hajj compared with the number of visitors is dismal as I've heard.
But the recent increase in upmarket Umra is a different story it seems.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 46):
Trust me, no Muslim will accept any insult to the Ka'abah

Well, I am one that sees it as an insult... but then, I'm a "contrarian Muslim" according to some...   
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

jacobin777

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 34):

When in the KSA on business, 95% of the people I interacted with were expats and guest workers. The Saudis I did interact with made US government workers seem ultraefficient. At one point I went one week without speaking to a Saudi national. Work ethic is certainly an area that needs work. On my flight into RUH, my seatmate preapologized for the experience I was about to go through. Out of all my coworkers, I the "luckiest" having spent only 2 hours in the immigration line. My boss spent 6 hours with the team average being 3.5 to get through. I was processed by a very disinterested immigration officer that was more concerned with carrying on a conversation with the officer one booth over. After each step, he would pause and have a 5 minute conversation. I was smiling because the experience actually amused me. My treatment was considered VIP as I had a US passport with a business visa. I was told those from southeast Asia on work visas could sometimes spend a day or more in line to enter the country. Contrast that with the DXB and AUH, where everything was fast, efficient, and friendly.

Why am I not surprised by this? That is a bit of a problem. They (local nationals) do have an attitude problem.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 35):
antiquated society at the very least.

Muslims on whole certainly aren't antiquated one bit. Only those who want to keep absolute power. We see this in non-Islamic countries such as North Korea, Zimbabwe, etc.

Quoting DDR (Reply 38):
Iran is the best hope for bringing stability to the region.

No not at all. While Iran does have more freedoms than say Saudi, they are a repressive and intolerant regime as well.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 33):
Not even close.

Dead on accurate.

That's simply your opinion mate.

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 43):
A lot of us non-Wahabbi Sunni Muslims hope for that, but we know it's going to be a tricky change, and a long one, if it ever happens.

I agree. As a non-Whabbi Sunni myself, I would certainly like to see this corrupt Saudi govt. go but I don't think it should be done hastily or quickly. I actually don't really mind the current structure but I think there is too much corruption, bigotry, etc. with the current set of Saudi rulers/leaders.

. we nabbed quite a few of them

Really glad to hear! I'm really tired of these idiots and fanatics ruining Islam. 1/2 the crap they do is not even Islamic in the first place.

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 34):
+Bangladesh

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 51):
Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 27):
So you represent the people of Saudi Arabia these days?

doesn't it bother you that the Al Saud family picks and chooses who'll run the place, etc?

Not really, as long as its in the best interest of the people (which usually isn't).
"Up the Irons!"

bluejuice

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Not "wrong denomination", but historical sites not essential to the pilgrimage, because the Wahhabis do not believe that the historical values will add to the benefit of the religion and will detriment it instead...
Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 41):
There is nothing in Mecca called " wrong" denomination.
If you mean Shia, well they never did have any sites there, maybe in Qum.

Poorly chosen words on my part. I specifically meant the say the Saudis very much favor the Wahhabi belief system.

Getting back specifically to the future of Saudi Arabia, what does the country have beyond oil and natural gas? As discussed, tourism is not an option. Services such as finance is one path but Dubai has staked a claim in that area with quite a head start. The UAE has also pushed ahead in technology and sciences. With sanction being lifted, Iran will get a chance to flex their tech muscle. Construction is huge but it seemed like a "workfare" program when I was there. Quotas were in place to guarantee Saudis get a certain number of jobs but the skilled positions and general labor went to guest workers.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

mham001

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:49 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 42):
More like their government decides to export ISIS, genocide in Yemen and other horrors.

I don't think an Iranian has much to talk about there.

mandala499

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:24 am

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 54):
Poorly chosen words on my part. I specifically meant the say the Saudis very much favor the Wahhabi belief system.

Don't worry.   We know what you mean  
Sunni and Shia are more like denominations while Wahabbiism is a sect.

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 54):
Getting back specifically to the future of Saudi Arabia, what does the country have beyond oil and natural gas?

This is is the worry. The oil won't run out for a long time in Saudi, but it's relevance due to the prices, is probably something the Sauds didn't anticipate to happen this quickly. I think they are now trying to figure out what they should prioritize on. The Sunni-Shiah rift is just going to make things more "interesting" in a bad way. Iran has a much more developed non-oil economy than Saudi Arabia, and the benefit of having sanctions is having a greater degree of resilience and self reliance... while Saudi seems to be significantly dependent on oil and foreign workers.

This is probably we're seeing the Sunni-Shiah rift widening. It's just... politics...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

bluejuice

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:22 am

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 56):
This is is the worry. The oil won't run out for a long time in Saudi, but it's relevance due to the prices, is probably something the Sauds didn't anticipate to happen this quickly. I think they are now trying to figure out what they should prioritize on.

True, with such massive oil reserves, the Saudis will continue to be a formidable force for decades to come. However, the country is addicted to its own product. One tidbit of information I learned is the country consumes about 25% of the oil they pump. During my time in KSA, I saw waste on a scale that boggles the mind. Cheap gas meant little incentive to drive efficiently or even own efficient cars. Cars and trucks just idle away. I don't necessarily blame many folks for running the air conditioner in the desert but one of our guides left a car running for 3 hours with no one inside. Electricity is also very cheap and wasted on a huge scale. Buildings always seem to have the air conditioner cranked to arctic temperatures and light never turned off. Most homes are not insulated either. Couple that with the need to desalinize water and suddenly a large percentage of oil is not available to sell. It was also shocking to see how much natural gas was flared off. I was also told there are many projects to use renewable, increase efficiency and cut waste but that will takes years. Every barrel used domestically is another barrel that is not being sold.

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:58 am

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 57):
During my time in KSA, I saw waste on a scale that boggles the mind. Cheap gas meant little incentive to drive efficiently or even own efficient cars. Cars and trucks just idle away. I don't necessarily blame many folks for running the air conditioner in the desert but one of our guides left a car running for 3 hours with no one inside. Electricity is also very cheap and wasted on a huge scale. Buildings always seem to have the air conditioner cranked to arctic temperatures and light never turned off. Most homes are not insulated either. Couple that with the need to desalinize water and suddenly a large percentage of oil is not available to sell. It was also shocking to see how much natural gas was flared off. I was also told there are many projects to use renewable, increase efficiency and cut waste but that will takes years. Every barrel used domestically is another barrel that is not being sold.

Prices of gas was hiked by 50% last week, so did electricity and water. Middle class people will suffer from this, as prices of food and other essentials will go up.
About time that Saudi's start learning about economizing in there use of power, as for driving i don't have any hope of it getting better, it seems the majority of Saudi's have a lead foot. Drivers, usually don't pay for fuel, so they don't care, if there employer is going shopping, the A/C will be left on even if they are in a shaded area.

KSA, has a lot of other minerals, non of them is exploited yet, including gold mines.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:00 am

Quoting slider (Reply 49):
KSA already IS ruled by terrorist extremists.

And Assad is an angel, he only killed about 250,000 of his people.

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:03 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 35):
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...udi-arabia-grand-mufti?CMP=soc_567

Simply put, shocking. Don't understand where this one came from.

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:06 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 38):
Iran is the best hope for bringing stability to the region.

Go back to history, they still carry a grudge for an event that happened about 1400 years ago. no they will not bring stability until they kill all the Sunni's. It's there conviction and there goal, read about it.

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:15 am

Quoting bhill (Reply 50):
Are the males and females educated side by side?

Schools no but, In colleges they are inthe same room yes but not sitting next to each others, women have the same rights for an education as men.

Is religious intolerance against the law?

Religion is a very sensitive matter in Saudi, so i will not touch this subject with a pole.

[Edited 2016-01-23 02:16:51]

scbriml

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:37 am

Is religious intolerance against the law?

Of course not - it's practiced by the Government!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

WIederling

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:54 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 59):

mostly ISIS and lies. ( Simon Hersh wrote some interesting stuff on Poison gas who and how.)

you can queue that with the other lies the US government released on the world.
( and the stuff they knew but never told to hold up their lies.)

What I don't get that with a long history of manipulative information release
US people still seem to believe their governments every word.

scepticism? not for US
Murphy is an optimist

slider

Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:38 pm

I don't parse evil. Evil is evil, no matter where, no matter practiced by whom.

That said, KSA is due for hard fall and it will be another big domino in a region that is already nearly completely incendiary.

pvjin

Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:41 pm

According to who? I guess Syrian human rights watch, an "organization" run by some random anti-Assad Syrian from a private apartment in the UK, yet often quoted by western mainstream media as if it was actually reliable source of information.

Whatever Assad has done I'm sure he doesn't kill or otherwise harm ordinary Syrian civilians on purpose. It's in his best interests to try keep as many Syrians on his side as possible, or at least from joining ISIS or other Islamist rebel groups.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

planemaker

Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 65):
That said, KSA is due for hard fall and it will be another big domino in a region that is already nearly completely incendiary.

That is what happens when trying to maintain a medieval religious and cultural society in the 21st century.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 66):
According to who?

Unless you don't have a TV, throwing barrels of explosives from a helicopter, is not the best or accurate way to destroy a target, but very efficient to kill innocent people in large numbers.

Quoting slider (Reply 65):

I have heard that being said since 1979, but they are still here in 2016.

pvjin

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:17 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 68):
Unless you don't have a TV, throwing barrels of explosives from a helicopter, is not the best or accurate way to destroy a target, but very efficient to kill innocent people in large numbers.

Too bad then, it wouldn't have happened if the west had sold Assad accurate and modern weaponry so he wouldn't have been forced to use barrel bombs.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 69):
Too bad then,

Very human from you, over 250,000 people killed and the best you can come out with is, too bad.
Assad have all the new weaponry he needs, but he is using the barrels and chemical weapons because he knows that Syrians don't want him anymore. I wonder why he never attacked ISIS. In a matter of fact he is dealing with them to get oil products.

pvjin

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:18 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 70):
Very human from you, over 250,000 people killed and the best you can come out with is, too bad.
Assad have all the new weaponry he needs, but he is using the barrels and chemical weapons because he knows that Syrians don't want him anymore. I wonder why he never attacked ISIS. In a matter of fact he is dealing with them to get oil products.

If Syrians don't want him anymore he would have been out of power a long time ago just like Gaddafi. Sorry, but it's clear a lot of Syrians do want him rather than even more chaos brought by foreign funded wahhabists of any sort.

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 71):
If Syrians don't want him anymore he would have been out of power a long time ago just like Gaddafi

Unarmed civilians facing a very strong army, still even before ISIS he lost control of over 75% of Syria, nothing like Lybia were all sides were armed, plus the west playing footsie.

You never answered why did not Bashar ever attacked ISIS, they were having military parades in the open in daylight with no air defense but not even a training plane from Syria air force flew over them?

pvjin

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 72):
Unarmed civilians facing a very strong army, still even before ISIS he lost control of over 75% of Syria, nothing like Lybia were all sides were armed, plus the west playing footsie.

Hardly unarmed, Gulf countries were there to offer anti-Assad extremists weapons right from the beginning.

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 72):
You never answered why did not Bashar ever attacked ISIS, they were having military parades in the open in daylight with no air defense but not even a training plane from Syria air force flew over them?

I'm not so sure whether that claim is even true, but if it it's then it's pure tactics. It's smart to let your enemies to spend their resources on fighting each other.

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 73):
Hardly unarmed, Gulf countries were there to offer anti-Assad extremists weapons right from the beginning.

Sir, you know nothing about the Syrian spring, the first 6 months, it was unarmed civilians facing the army, go back and look, and please don't think that you know more about the situation there than a Syrian born.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 73):
but if it it's then it's pure tactics

What a lame excuse, ISIS was overtaking more than half of Syria, and taking air bases without firing a shot, and then Bashar goes crying saying look at those extremists taking over, the west fell for it.

bluejuice

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 58):
Prices of gas was hiked by 50% last week, so did electricity and water. Middle class people will suffer from this, as prices of food and other essentials will go up.
About time that Saudi's start learning about economizing in there use of power, as for driving i don't have any hope of it getting better, it seems the majority of Saudi's have a lead foot. Drivers, usually don't pay for fuel, so they don't care, if there employer is going shopping, the A/C will be left on even if they are in a shaded area.

KSA, has a lot of other minerals, non of them is exploited yet, including gold mines.

It will indeed be a tough lesson. Subsidies are a great way to buy social contentment but become an issue in the long term. The population eventually expects it to be a basic right and there is huge backlash when scaled back.

Will Saudi Arabia be able to maintain their current standard of living with these replacement industries? My understanding is that their gold exports are barely a blip on the world market. Are any of their mineral reserves large enough to be a world class exporter?

SOBHI51

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:42 pm

Quoting BlueJuice (Reply 75):
Will Saudi Arabia be able to maintain their current standard of living with these replacement industries? My understanding is that their gold exports are barely a blip on the world market. Are any of their mineral reserves large enough to be a world class exporter?

Sorry, don't have an answer for that, it shouldn't be all put on the government back, Saudi's should join the work force in drove, there is nothing wrong with working even manual jobs, you were provided with education,sent overseas for colleges, time to pay back.

bluejuice

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:18 am

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 76):
Sorry, don't have an answer for that, it shouldn't be all put on the government back, Saudi's should join the work force in drove, there is nothing wrong with working even manual jobs, you were provided with education,sent overseas for colleges, time to pay back.

Long term there is no choice other than to put the population to work. The current economy is not sustainable. In my opinion, it will take 2 or 3 generations before there is any appreciable change. My assumption is the current group of working age Saudis will be a "lost generation" where change is not possible. Social norms are entrenched and changing their minds will be difficult to impossible. Change will have to come with the next generation where more austere living, less government entitlements, and working the the private sector is more the norm. Their children will be the ones that do not know what it's like to live a life of idle leisure. The thousands of princes and princesses will also need understand the country is not their own personal piggy bank. How this will be done I do not know. Women will need to be an integral part of this evolution. To have 50% of citizens treated as second class will not stand. Putting aide the societal arguments and viewing things from a pure economic standpoint, resources will continue to be used to keep a large part of the population idle. All of the above will be contingent on the political will to force change and how much social unrest it will create.

ltbewr

Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:38 am

One big cultural problem they need to deal with is as to culture of the 3rd Class treatment of women. Yes, they can finally participate in some local 'elections', but face massive segregation and obscene treatment vs. most of the 'civilized' world. They cannot drive. Must wear burkas. Subject to being raped or otherwise assault but cannot seek police or other government help. They cannot testify against men in criminal matters. Maybe pawned off to marriage at a young age. Men can have multiple wives, subject to one sided religious divorce. Face cruel punishments and executions for adultery or other actions that would not be crimes elsewhere. Too often the men, especially the extended Royal Family men, will seek out activities clearly illegal in their countries outside Saudi Arabia in the USA and Europe including gambling, drinking alcohol, with prostitutes, assaulting people and getting away with it using money or 'royal family' diplomatic immunity They are nothing by hypocrites of the worst kind. Of course they won't change, they like having total control of women, and in an ideal world they would accept 500 years of modernity.

MD11Engineer

Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:02 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 78):
One big cultural problem they need to deal with is as to culture of the 3rd Class treatment of women. Yes, they can finally participate in some local 'elections', but face massive segregation and obscene treatment vs. most of the 'civilized' world. They cannot drive. Must wear burkas. Subject to being raped or otherwise assault but cannot seek police or other government help. They cannot testify against men in criminal matters. Maybe pawned off to marriage at a young age. Men can have multiple wives, subject to one sided religious divorce. Face cruel punishments and executions for adultery or other actions that would not be crimes elsewhere. Too often the men, especially the extended Royal Family men, will seek out activities clearly illegal in their countries outside Saudi Arabia in the USA and Europe including gambling, drinking alcohol, with prostitutes, assaulting people and getting away with it using money or 'royal family' diplomatic immunity They are nothing by hypocrites of the worst kind. Of course they won't change, they like having total control of women, and in an ideal world they would accept 500 years of modernity.

Just a correction: The Burqa is an Afghan / North Western Pakistan garment (mainly used by Pashtun women).

In the Arabian Gulf states most women wear an Abaya outside the house, which is a kind of cloak covering everything exceprt for the face.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/A_walk_on_the_beach_-_P1050437.jpg/800px-A_walk_on_the_beach_-_P1050437.jpg

Some (but by far from all!) also wear a Niqaab, a face covering:

Apparently Burqas have also made it to certain ewish sects in Israel (as per Wikipedia):

Quote:
Israel
A member of the Haredi burqa sect in Meah Shearim, Israel

Some years ago, a group of Haredi (ultra-Orthodox) Jewish women in Israel began donning the Burqa as a symbol of piety. Following its adoption by Bruria Keren, an estimated 600 Jewish women have taken to wearing the veil.[10] Keren claims to "follow these rules of modesty to save men from themselves. A man who sees a woman's body parts is sexually aroused, and this might cause him to commit sin. Even if he doesn't actually sin physically, his impure thoughts are sin in themselves."[11] However, apparently at the insistence of some of their husbands, a rabbinical authority quoted as saying "There is a real danger that by exaggerating, you are doing the opposite of what is intended [resulting in] severe transgressions in sexual matters," issued an edict declaring burka-wearing a sexual fetish, that is as promiscuous as wearing too little.[12]

According to The Jerusalem Post, a Member of the Knesset is intending to put forward a bill to "prohibit the wearing of a full-body and face covering for women. [The] bill would not differentiate between Muslims and Jews".[13]

(from Wikipedia)

Here is a good list of Islamic styles of dress, depending on the region:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_sartorial_hijab

I haven't been to Saudi Arabia yet (though two years ago I was supposed to work there, but the contract with the customer fell through), but from what I saw in the UAE, the local women often seemed to wear very sexy or even flimsy clothes under their abayas ( no wonder in the heat).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Planeflyer

Re: What Is The Future Of Saudi Arabia?

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:16 pm

OPEC is being fractured by fracking. The good news is that prices will be constrained once they approach $50/bl. The KA needs 90-100$ oil to pay its bills. Something's gotta give. I hope they can manage the transition to market based pricing.

Veetwo

Re: What Is The Future Of Saudi Arabia?

Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:34 pm

Planeflyer wrote:
OPEC is being fractured by fracking. The good news is that prices will be constrained once they approach $50/bl. The KA needs 90-100$ oil to pay its bills. Something's gotta give. I hope they can manage the transition to market based pricing.

No women's rights, no natural rivers or diverse biome, total repressive government, a ban on tourist travel, the only thing they produce is immediately set on fire, and zero want for culture exchange. Sounds like a dream world.

Maybe they can team up with the KKK and start exporting some of those white fabrics they wear?
Airline employee and Crohn's sufferer.