Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Denmark Passes New Controversial Law On Migrants

Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm

The Danish parliament has backed a controversial proposal to confiscate asylum seekers' valuables to pay for their upkeep.

Denmark says the policy brings migrants in line with jobless Danes, who must sell assets above a certain level to claim benefits.

The bill was expected to be approved even though it had been criticised by human rights groups.
The UN refugee agency and the European commission criticised the proposals.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35406436

offloaded

RE: Denmark Passes New Controversial Law On Migrants

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:01 pm

If you are unlucky enough to fall on hard times, you have to sell things, be it your house, your jewellry, your car etc. It's the way it is. This policy brings migrants into line with jobless Danes. If anything, this policy will alleviate tensions as everyone is being treated equally. What exactly is the EC / UN criticizing?

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:28 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 1):

If you are unlucky enough to fall on hard times, you have to sell things, be it your house, your jewellry, your car etc. It's the way it is. This policy brings migrants into line with jobless Danes. If anything, this policy will alleviate tensions as everyone is being treated equally. What exactly is the EC / UN criticizing?

To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

Thanks for bringing some sensibility to the stuff posted in the international media. It's been on the oppositions political agenda here to damage the country's reputation by spreading only half truths to the media.

I also don't think many jewelries will actually be confiscated but it's about sending a signal.

By the way, last year we got more than 20,000 asylum seekers, this year it will probably be the same or higher. In the meantime, the US has granted asylum to only a few hundred or thousand and Canada got a lot of publicity for hand picking 10,000 asylum seekers. A country that is many times larger than Denmark.

MD11Engineer

Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Mixed feelings about this: There are some who have managed to save some of their property and who theoretically could start working right away and take care of themselves (I have heard of German employers complaining that they would like to hire some refugees, who turned up with the right qualifications, but the authorities took too long to issue work permits. Usually asylum applicants are not allowed to work and HAVE to go on social welfare until their case has been decided, which can take up to two years).
Others will be on the dole for a long time and should contribute.

Jan

MD11Engineer

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:12 pm

A friend told me that his wife's parents have leased out two flats in their house to the local council for housing refugee families.
One day the elderly father in law was busy bringing out rubble from renovating another flat and the father of one of the refugee families asked him if he could help, as he was too bored sitting at home. So they worked together and the guy explained that he was actually a skilled builder from Kosovo, but was not allowed to work here, and just sitting around was driving him mad.
The guy offered to tile the bathroom in the flat. My friend's father in law wanted to do everything properly, so he asked the council if the guy would be allowed to work and they said yes, but he could only earn 1 Euro per hour.
The father-in-law thought that this would be taking the p*ss, so he gave the guy officially one Euro per hour, but in reality paid him a standard 15 Euros per hour. The Kosovan came with a friend and they did a first class job in rebuilding the bathroom. According to my friend he could start right away with any construction company if he would get his work permit.

Jan

CPH-R

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:32 pm

It's kind of amusing, the whole thing was kicked off by an MP asking what would happen if a refugee turned up with a suitcase full of valuables, and everyone realising that said refugee would be eligible for public assistance, while unemployed Danes who had run out of 'dagpenge' (Higher unemployment benefits, which requires being member of a union and having worked x amount of hours in the past two years, it was recently changed from being available for 4 years to now being available for only 2) and had to go on 'kontanthjælp' (the basic unemployment benefits that comes with a draconian set of rules) wouldn't be unless they sold out of their own valuables.

Quoting offloaded (Reply 1):
What exactly is the EC / UN criticizing?

They're certainly not criticizing Germany for allowing Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg to have the exact same rule in place...  

AirPacific747

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 5):
They're certainly not criticizing Germany for allowing Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg to have the exact same rule in place...  

Nevermind the Netherlands and Switzerland..

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35408936

CPH-R

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 6):
Nevermind the Netherlands and Switzerland..

True, I knew about Switzerland, but they're not in the EU yet, so I let them off the hook   - didn't know the Netherlands were also doing it though.

pvjin

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:55 pm

I hope Finland will eventually install similar law. Also, perhaps the UN and Amnesty should consider caring about human rights of native Europeans for a change. As long as they completely ignore the impact of the crime wave and increasing terror threat that have arrived to Europe with refugees they have no moral authority whatsoever.

Aesma

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:43 pm

The problem is not to make them contribute (or not giving them assistance if they won't), it's the part about confiscating things. Does a Dane hitting hard times see police confiscate his stuff ? Maybe at some point in a long process, but not right away.

Images of Jews being robbed of everything come to mind.

Dahlgardo

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 9):
The problem is not to make them contribute (or not giving them assistance if they won't), it's the part about confiscating things. Does a Dane hitting hard times see police confiscate his stuff ? Maybe at some point in a long process, but not right away.

Actually yes.
It was mentioned somewhere, can't recollect the source, that refugees had better rights than citizens when it comes to confiscating of valuables in order to pay for benifits.

This shouldn't be a story in the first place, since other countries do exactly the same.

I'm glad our politicians are resposible enough to try to minimize the influx of refugees and migrants.
The situation is unsustainable, and only a fool will wait for a pan-european solution which will never come.
These refugees and migrats cost a fortune in the Scandinavian welfare states.
That money would be spend much better on refugee camps in Turkey and Jordan.

MD11Engineer

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:10 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 9):

Images of Jews being robbed of everything come to mind.

If you are receiving social welfare in Germany, you'll have to declare all your assets and everything above a certain amount will be used for your upkeep (e.g. they will not confiscate a standard wedding ring). An uncle of mine, social welfare recipient, was very upset after he inherited € 250,000 that the welfare office stopped the payments and told him to live of this money first. He thought that he could keep it as a nest egg while receiving welfare.

The thing is that refugees are not allowed to work legally, even if there are jobs available, until their case has been processed, which can take up to two years, and WILL have to live of social welfare during this time, even if they could take care of their own livelyhood.

Jan

lesfalls

Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 4):

And from what I heard it's getting even longer right?

LSZH34

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 2):
to damage the country's reputation by spreading only half truths to the media.

A few weeks ago it was our turn. What else can you expect?

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 5):
They're certainly not criticizing Germany for allowing Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg to have the exact same rule in place
Quoting CPH-R (Reply 7):
True, I knew about Switzerland, but they're not in the EU yet

We will never ever enter the EU I can tell you that, despite our Bundesrat responsible for asylum matters is totally pro-EU and is basically the swiss Merkel. We wouldn't even have to take part in the european distribution plan, but no, she's painting us onto the map of countries willing to give anyone asylum. Unbelievable what Europe is doing for people that wouldn't hesitate to turn us back if roles were reversed.

Funny as well that Germany can discuss kicking out violent migrants and foreigners, but if others do it it's racist and inhumane.

On a side note: An entry into the EU would have to be accepted by the people in a national voting, which luckily will never become reality. I'm sure that would get denied with over 80%. An entry into the EU would be death for our democracy, replaced by Brussel dictatorship.

Dreadnought

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 13):
We will never ever enter the EU I can tell you that, despite our Bundesrat responsible for asylum matters is totally pro-EU and is basically the swiss Merkel.

Thank God for direct democracy. The major political parties were all pro-EU in the late 90s when the referendum on joining the EU was held, and the Swiss people said "Hell no!". The question is whether the left (generally pro-big government) will succeed in using the public school system to indoctrinate young people to be more receptive, as has happened in the US and elsewhere. It takes a generation or two, but they are patient.

LSZH34

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 14):
It takes a generation or two, but they are patient.

We are all affected already now. Everytime someone mentions these topics we hear the usual sayings "right is bad, left is best"

LAX772LR

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:43 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 14):
will succeed in using the public school system to indoctrinate young people to be more receptive

Well, gotta have *something* to counter the greatest indoctrination system of them all: Religion - the territory of the Right-wing.

Fair is fair.  

rwsea

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:58 am

One thing that has struck me in this whole refugee crisis is the sense of entitlement exhibited by many seeking asylum. Many refugees set off for Europe feeling entitled to asylum and safe haven, as if the Europeans have no other choice. The attitude by many seems to be that "Europe will be forced to let us in and give us a home".

I have no problem with proposals such as these. I highly doubt that refugees are bringing a great deal of valuables with them, but no one should expect a free ride. Schemes such as this may help a little but will never fully offset the cost of benefits being provided.

AirPacific747

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:09 am

Quoting rwsea (Reply 17):

Exactly. it's evident that many of them are not refugees but economic migrants when they show such a behavior, and if we - God forbid - dare to expect certain things from them such as asking them to respect our culture and values, then apparently we get nothing but criticism in the international media. When we try to control the amount that enters the country, then we get nothing but criticism. So we should just accept to be overrun by migrants till our society collapses and anarchy exists?

I'm sorry but I cannot respect when we get criticism from countries like Saudi Arabia, Russia, etc telling us that we are violating human rights. Effing ridiculous.

prebennorholm

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:12 am

It has been quite a funny day for the media here in Denmark today. They were here, all of them, CNN, BBC etc. with hundreds of reporters, TV technicians and various support people. Good for the airlines, good for the hotels, and quite amusing for the population. It doesn't happen every day that such armies invade our parliament.

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
The Danish parliament has backed a controversial proposal to confiscate asylum seekers' valuables to pay for their upkeep.

That's not really the truth. It has always been like that. In all developed countries.

If you haven't got housing, food, healthcare and money, then you get housing, food, healthcare and a little money for free from the state. We don't accept people starving or otherwise suffering in cardboard boxes on the sidewalk of the streets.

If you have money, then you pay your own housing and food. Like elsewhere in the world.

The new thing, decided today, is what money is "money".

It was decided NOT to touch the last DKK 10,000 per person (€1,300 - ex: €5,200 for a family of four). That compares to for instance €750 in Bavaria, fair enough since living in Denmark is more expensive.

It was decided that a bag of diamonds or gold bars is money, while personal jewelry is not.

If you arrive in a Porsche and ask for free housing and food, then you are told to sell the car and pay yourself.

Your iPhone is of course yours.

All such things were clarified in law number L87 today with votes from all but the commies and radical left. Making judgements by immigration officials a lot easier.

The really funny thing is how the big international press (including otherwise often pretty good BBC!!!) interpreted this the way that "Now the Danes will confiscate wedding rings from refugees like the nazis did with the Jews".

Some of the international reporters were puzzled because some 40% of the MPs didn't show for the vote, when they - the reporters - had travelled often thousands of miles. That's normal here, when it is about trivial law amendments as this. They have more important meetings here or elsewhere - in Brussels or such - than pressing a green button when only the commies press the red one.

Nothing is so bad that it isn't good for something. At least we Danes got a healthy laugh today. While our airlines, hotels, restaurants, taxi drivers etc. earned a million DKK extra.

[Edited 2016-01-26 17:44:16]

aerorobnz

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:28 am

Good call Denmark. May it be the first of a huge wave of countries to bring in this measure. If it makes them think twice about where to claim refuge then it's a good thing for Denmark.

WarRI1

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:01 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 20):
Good call Denmark. May it be the first of a huge wave of countries to bring in this measure. If it makes them think twice about where to claim refuge then it's a good thing for Denmark.

I certainly agree, it is just common sense, and that seems to be lacking these days everywhere. I agree with Trump completely, we do not want them, we do not need them. We are not short of immigrants, and we do not need people who will not assimilate.

prebennorholm

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 am

Good call Denmark.

Well, nothing very special. Just a minor clarification of 167 years old Danish welfare system legislation. It happens all the time. More important things (not immigration related) were decided by our parliament today. (Yes, our laws from 1849 needs amendments every now and then).

May it be the first of a huge wave of countries to bring in this measure.

That's impossible. We were far too late to be the first. By deeming the first €1,300 untouchable we are just one of the more generous countries.

Bavaria: €750
Switzerland: €900
Baden-Württemberg: €350

That's fine with me. After all Denmark is a pretty wealthy and high cost country, so why shouldn't we also be among the more generous?

The whole thing is a very minor issue. Denmark shares a few things with other small countries like The Netherlands and Switzerland, such as open minded discussions of even minor political issues. That makes such small countries an "easy" target for some of the more radical NGOs.

And when the big international press agencies have a silly season, like now, then they run on the heels of those NGOs and see if they can get a story.

That's great. And nothing more than that, just great.

wolbo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:22 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 7):

True, I knew about Switzerland, but they're not in the EU yet, so I let them off the hook   - didn't know the Netherlands were also doing it though.

That's because we're not. The amounts mentioned in the BBC article (€5,895 for an individual or €11,790 for a family) are the maximums allowed to be able to apply for the lowest welfare assistance. It does not specifically apply to asylum seekers.

offloaded

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:27 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 9):

Well they shouldn't come to mind. Firstly, as you can see from the news report, they are allowed to keep personal effects like wedding rings, and I'm pretty sure no one is about to start taking their teeth out. Secondly, as I mentioned in my earlier reply, selling assets is what they are effectively being asked to do, as a contribution to their costs. "Confiscating" just sounds so much more dramatic and makes for a better news story. I would also imagine that this is still only a tiny fraction of what it costs Denmark. They have a roof over their heads, food to eat, clean water to drink, and most of all, they and their families are now safe. You don't think that calls for a contribution from the people it is benefiting?

AirPacific747

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:27 am

Another fun fact: Denmark is using the highest percentage of its GDP on asylum seekers of all countries, next to Sweden. 0,47% of our GDP. Far above Germany.

In the UK where the bill has been heavily critized, they have agreed to accept 20,000 refugees over the next few years. That's the same amount Denmark (which is more than ten times smaller) received in 2015 alone, so the criticism from the UK media is laughable.

Quoting wolbo (Reply 23):
It does not specifically apply to asylum seekers.

But it also applies to asylum seekers?

It says: "A report in the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad found asylum seekers had paid nearly €500,000 towards their living costs since the start of 2013."

moo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:36 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 25):
In the UK where the bill has been heavily critized, they have agreed to accept 20,000 refugees over the next few years. That's the same amount Denmark (which is more than ten times smaller) received in 2015 alone, so the criticism from the UK media is laughable.

Don't assume that the UK media represents actual public feeling.

Why give someone a hand out for free when they have assets which can cover what the hand out covers?

offloaded

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:11 am

Quoting moo (Reply 26):

Exactly. But I also think Jan

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 3):

makes a very valid point. You have asylum seekers that can't work for months or even years whilst their claims are being processed, which is hardly a flying start towards being a productive member of society. Whilst I'm sure there are perhaps not an insignificant number who are happy to live on welfare, I'm sure the majority didn't come 3000 miles to sit on their backsides.

But are we talking migrants or refugees here, as the line seems to be getting very blurred these days.

offloaded

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:30 am

Dahlgardo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 am

Quoting offloaded (Reply 27):
makes a very valid point. You have asylum seekers that can't work for months or even years whilst their claims are being processed, which is hardly a flying start towards being a productive member of society. Whilst I'm sure there are perhaps not an insignificant number who are happy to live on welfare, I'm sure the majority didn't come 3000 miles to sit on their backsides.

Well, why not look at the facts.
In mar15 a report was published that revieled that only about 1 out of 8 Syrian refugees that came to Denmark in 2009 had a job 4 years later. That's an unemployment rate of 85-90% after 4 years.

http://www.bt.dk/politik/kun-faa-syriske-flygtninge-kommer-i-arbejde in danish

Sure, some will contribute, but as a whole integrating refugees is extremely expensive for society.
Even the unemployment rate of 2. and 3. generation migrants (primarily from muslim contries) is significantly higher today than avarage. And I don't think that's a Danish phenomenon.

Dreadnought

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:42 am

Quoting offloaded (Reply 27):
But are we talking migrants or refugees here, as the line seems to be getting very blurred these days.

To be refugees, there has to be a plan in place to shelter them in a secure area, and return them home when it is safe to do so. I think it is safe to assume that the vast majority of these people have no intention ever to return to Afghanistan or wherever they came from. They are migrants. If you accept them into your country, you have to assume they are there to stay.

CPH-R

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:49 am

Quoting Dahlgardo (Reply 29):
In mar15 a report was published that revieled that only about 1 out of 8 Syrian refugees that came to Denmark in 2009 had a job 4 years later. That's an unemployment rate of 85-90% after 4 years.

And let's not get into the whole debacle over Palæstinenserloven from the early 90's, which I'm certain has helped fuel a lot of skepticism regarding self-proclaimed refugees.

mad99

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:32 pm

Quoting Dahlgardo (Reply 29):
1 out of 8 Syrian refugees that came to Denmark in 2009 had a job 4 years later. That's an unemployment rate of 85-90% after 4 years.

to be fair how many refugees can work, meaning are of working age and able to work??

Dahlgardo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Quoting mad99 (Reply 32):
to be fair how many refugees can work, meaning are of working age and able to work??

No idea, but it's only to illustrate that taking in large numbers of refugees from the Middle East comes with a huge price tag. All the naive talk about refugees being a valuable resource and that their numbers is not a problem has no basis in reality. All experience points in the other direction. That's why this influx has to be minimized. You can help many many times more refugees locally with the same money our society spends on them here.

TheSonntag

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

This is a bad day for Denmark. I have lived 5 years in Denmark and I am appalled how this country is treating foreigners. I remember already when I lived there how much you were hated, just because you are not Danish.

And I am not alone. During my Erasmus-year in Aarhus, it was the common perception of my study collegues as well. You are not welcome in our land.

Quite a shame, I would otherwise have loved to work in Copenhagen as an expat, but I prefer countries where you are welcome as a foreigner.

moo

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 34):
This is a bad day for Denmark. I have lived 5 years in Denmark and I am appalled how this country is treating foreigners. I remember already when I lived there how much you were hated, just because you are not Danish.

Lets be clear here - this isn't about foreigners in general, this is about foreigners in very specific circumstances.

pvjin

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:59 pm

Foreigners aren't generally hated in Denmark or any other Nordic countries. Of course from everywhere you can find the xenophobic redneck kind, but when you hang out with decent people you aren't going to have issues with racism or xenophobia. Perhaps you and other students simply didn't understand some cultural differences?

I don't really understand people who think countries like Denmark and Finland (or any European country for that matter) somehow have a responsibility of offering a free living to millions of economic "refugees" who don't show a slightest bit of respect towards us and our cultures and who have no intention or chances to work for their living.

Thanks to leftist idealists this continent is heading for a major disaster.

Aesma

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 24):
Well they shouldn't come to mind. Firstly, as you can see from the news report, they are allowed to keep personal effects like wedding rings, and I'm pretty sure no one is about to start taking their teeth out. Secondly, as I mentioned in my earlier reply, selling assets is what they are effectively being asked to do, as a contribution to their costs. "Confiscating" just sounds so much more dramatic and makes for a better news story. I would also imagine that this is still only a tiny fraction of what it costs Denmark. They have a roof over their heads, food to eat, clean water to drink, and most of all, they and their families are now safe. You don't think that calls for a contribution from the people it is benefiting?

The first thing they got to do when arrived is to open their bags and lose everything above an amount. That's not selling that's stealing.

Quoting Dahlgardo (Reply 33):
That's why this influx has to be minimized. You can help many many times more refugees locally with the same money our society spends on them here.

Help them in Syria ? Somalia ?

pvjin

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 37):
The first thing they got to do when arrived is to open their bags and lose everything above an amount. That's not selling that's stealing.

No it's not stealing as they get free housing, food and healthcare while they stay.

Help them in Syria ? Somalia ?

When possible yes, otherwise help them in nearby countries where they can easily return back home after the conflict is over. The current trend where refugees travel thousands of kilometers to whatever place offers the best benefits is insane.

AirPacific747

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:35 pm

TheSonntag, please stick to the facts. We spend far more per asylum seeker than Germany does. If you think we treat asylum seekers poorly, maybe you should start with your own country first. We have to reduce the amount to achieve successful integration and to keep our welfare society. Is it difficult to understand?

So far we've been treating refugees far better than most other European countries, this can not continue as we are a small country and many of the so called refugees are willing to travel through several countries to get the best benefits.

Every time you've mentioned your stay in Denmark in here it has been positive comments, so your sudden criticism seems a bit strange. Anyway if you had bad experiences with individuals in DK that's a shame but it has nothing to do with how we treat refugees and even if it did, you would have had a very good treatment.

[Edited 2016-01-27 09:46:01]

AirPacific747

Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 pm

So please explain to me why these rules should only apply to life long tax payers from Denmark seeking benefits? Explain to me why the refugees should get a better treatment than our own citizens. Don't be so naive.

Aeroflot777

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 pm

I too lived in Denmark for a some years and never remember myself or my family being looked down upon or treated poorly because I was a foreigner. We integrated well and fast into the society and all of our acquaintances and friends were Danes.

Different experiences, eh?

prebennorholm

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:55 pm

This is a bad day for Denmark.

Not at all. Just another day where parts of the international press went crazy.

Quoting wolbo (Reply 23):
Quoting CPH-R (Reply 7):
True, I knew about Switzerland, but they're not in the EU yet, so I let them off the hook - didn't know the Netherlands were also doing it though.
That's because we're not. The amounts mentioned in the BBC article (€5,895 for an individual or €11,790 for a family) are the maximums allowed to be able to apply for the lowest welfare assistance. It does not specifically apply to asylum seekers.

The Netherlands is just a little different, slightly more complicated rules.

While in Switzerland, Germany and Denmark you either get the benefits for free, or you pay a fee when you have money over a certain limit, then the Netherlands have a graduated scale where you pay variable fees depending on the amount of money you have.

At the end of the day it is about the same in all countries. Don't tell me that there is one single country which pays out social welfare benefits - to natives or foreigners - no matter what money you own.

Quoting offloaded (Reply 28):
Danish 17-year-old girl who used a pepper spray to fight off a rapist near migrant asylum centre is told SHE will be prosecuted for carrying the weapon

Slightly off topic. But the easy answer is that pepper sprays are illegal weapons in Denmark. Not so in Germany, and it is known that some Danes have buoght sprays in Germany.

Living in Denmark, as peaceful as it is today, I agree that it is no good idea that every other person carries a pepper spray. If the country should develop into a more violent country, like some of the not so distant neighbors, then I might reconsider that. Things have to be balanced.

OA260
Topic Author

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 pm

News in from Sweden this evening .

Sweden's Interior Minister says the country intends to expel up to 80,000 migrants whose applications for asylum have been rejected.

news.sky.com

lesfalls

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:49 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 43):

Quite surprised! I don't see that happening though because I doubt they can expel that many with their police and Military. I bet they'll have even worse problems then before.

LSZH34

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:20 am

Sweden's Interior Minister says the country intends to expel up to 80,000 migrants whose applications for asylum have been rejected.

And where to?

777Jet

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:36 am

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):
confiscate asylum seekers' valuables to pay for their upkeep.

Australia needs to do the same.

I remember not too many governments ago when plenty of poor desperate queue jumping asylum seekers, who paid big bucks to get on a boat, used to arrive with expensive iPhones and tablets that they often used to film their treatment when caught by authorities before uploading these clips to the media or their facebook account.

The tough life of a poor boat person...

prebennorholm

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:39 am

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 44):
Quite surprised!

Not so much. It has always been so, that those who don't get asylum, are sent back home. The only new thing is that Swedish minister of interior Mr. Anders Ygeman today dared to estimate a number, 60,000 to 80,000.

Quoting Lesfalls (Reply 44):
don't see that happening though because I doubt they can expel that many with their police and Military.

Sweden is in the process of hiring double staff for their immigration authorities. Still it will take a very long time.

First of all the individual cases must be investigated. That may take well over a year. Then the asylum lawyer mafia will take over and drag it on to maximize own profit. Little will happen during the first couple of years.

In the meantime, lately almost 4,000 have already voluntarily left Sweden and gone home, expressing dissatisfaction with the food, weather and other general conditions.

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 45):
And where to?

The local press tells that Afghanis and Moroccans are likely high on the priority list. The Swedish government is trying hard to team up with Germany for preparing and executing the return process.

lewis

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:50 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 47):

In the meantime, lately almost 4,000 have already voluntarily left Sweden and gone home, expressing dissatisfaction with the food, weather and other general conditions.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...y/b4dddbb1a3232bbbe3874792f3a7b86e

Quote:

Before leaving Syria, Amer said he had heard refugees in Germany got around €500 ($546) a month in benefits — a relatively accurate estimate. But he hadn’t realised everything in Germany costs far more than in Syria, he said, dressed in a black hoodie and sweatpants.

Yasmine, his 25-year-old wife, said back in Damascus the family lived with the sound of regular shelling and repeated electricity cut-offs. But bombings in their own neighbourhood were rare, she said, showing off pictures of her son posing inside a spacious apartment in Damascus and on holidays spent in a house with a pool.

Further proof that many of the "refugees" are nothing more than economic migrants. Kudos to Denmark for asking people to contribute instead.

Quote:
Abdullah Alsoaan, a 51-year-old dentist from Deir Ezzour in eastern Syria, said he came to Germany 10 months ago with the help of the United Nations to receive treatment for complications of diabetes. Now he is waiting for a new passport to return to the 10 children he left behind in Syria. The reason: After seeing teenagers kissing in public, he said he couldn’t raise his daughters here.

Please, don't let the door hit you on your way out.

AirPacific747

Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:17 am

So first Sweden and Germany invite them all to come and when they realize - or rather - when they finally admit that they can't handle so many asylum seekers, they just expel them instead. Great way to treat so many asylum seekers.....!!

Maybe if they had been realistic about their abilities in the first place this wouldn't have happened.