Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

NCL's Studio Cabin

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:30 am

Has anyone traveled on these cabins? I'm considering booking a trip for November on Norwegian Epic and think these cabins are perfect. Video reviews and reviews on critic sites all point to them being great cabins, but wanna see from someone in here whether it's worth it (money-wise) or not.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

jetwet1

RE: NCL's Studio Cabin

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:41 am

You may have better luck asking in this thread :

Cruise Ship Thread Part 3 (by KarelXWB Aug 31 2015 in Non Aviation)

bananaboy

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:19 am

Stayed in them many times during inaugural events. As am employee, we usually get assigned them so that travel partners have the larger staterooms.

I love them. Almost impossible to answer the "worth it" questions but they usually save you a significant amount over a single occupancy price in standard accommodation. You'll also get the Studio Lounge access..facilities vary by ship (and not available at all on Pride of America) but whichever ship it is, it's a nice, relaxed area to meet other solo travellers. The white boards added to the lounges have proved popular too. For example, in addition to events organised by the social host like group seating for a show or dinner, messages were left about sharing taxi costs, rides to airports, basketball games and so on.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

DETA737

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:23 pm

They are only slightly smaller than the normal interior cabins. If you want to travel solo, personally I would go on one of Carnival's newer ships and get a oceanview or balcony as often they'll be the same price.

SmithAir747

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:05 am

I'm booked into one for the August 6-14 sailing of Escape. I can't wait to experience it! I'm organizing a group cruise for families with children affected by craniofacial disorders; my travel agent found NCL to be the best for our group, and booked us on Escape--which has these Studio cabins. Single as I am, of course I booked one of these for myself.

Cunard Line are refitting QM2 this June, and she will receive 15 solo cabins (all oceanview) on Low Deck 2 and Low Deck 3. One day I really want to take a transatlantic NYC-Southampton crossing, in the new single cabins. These are Britannia Oceanview Single cabins.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:14 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 1):

That one is discussing cruise ships overall. I want travel experience (hence why I opened it in a separate thread). It's similar to be discussing the A321 but asking about a particular airline cabin experience.

Quoting DETA737 (Reply 3):
If you want to travel solo, personally I would go on one of Carnival's newer ships and get a oceanview or balcony as often they'll be the same price.

I looked up prices. They're similarly priced (an interior stateroom to NCL's Studios). Carnival offers me more space, but NCL would offer more interaction with other Studio travellers.

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 4):
Single as I am, of course I booked one of these for myself.

Waiting for the TR  
and she will receive 15 solo cabins (all oceanview) on Low Deck 2 and Low Deck 3.

Now THAT'S a cruise I'd like to take. Transatlantic all the way.

bananaboy

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:54 pm

They are only slightly smaller than the normal interior cabins.

From memory, they're about half the size actually. The original design was created with assistance from yacht builders so the space is used to it's fullest with plenty of cleverly designed storage space.

I would go on one of Carnival's newer ships and get a oceanview or balcony as often they'll be the same price.

Seriously? Wow. Carnival must be struggling if they're having to do that.

Single as I am, of course I booked one of these for myself.

Hope you enjoy.. I didn't get much time on Norwegian Escape but what I saw I really liked and now she's got her stride, feedback seems to be positive. The new menus are fab. The Brewhouse and Food Republic were great and I popped in to the last 10 mins of the Dear John Hughes dinner show and was very impressed. Would like to have seen the whole thing though.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 5):
Carnival offers me more space, but NCL would offer more interaction with other Studio travellers

A big bonus. Hope you' enjoy the Norwegian Epic. I saw her straight after dry-dock when she was in Southampton and she looked better than new. I've treated myself to a 2 Bed Haven Villa and will be sailing in early March... excited is not the word!      

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

DETA737

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Quoting bananaboy (Reply 6):
Seriously? Wow. Carnival must be struggling if they're having to do that.

They've always been cheaper than the other lines, they own Holland, Princess, Cunard, and Sebourn for their higher end product. However, after being on NCL and Royal, I actually found the food to be subpar on both, at least outside of the specialty dining. Also, Carnival tends to attract a younger crowd.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:53 pm

Hope you' enjoy the Norwegian Epic.

Stull haven't booked, but come the middle of next month I think I'll put down the deposit. The passport application has been submitted so I should be good to go...gonna visit three countries (Bahamas, Jamaica, and Mexico), and technically a 4th one (Cayman Islands which are a British possession). Should be a nice break from the route I traveled thrice...on the same ship (Southern Caribbean with Adventure of the Seas...mother kept going back).

Quoting DETA737 (Reply 7):
hey've always been cheaper than the other lines

I've noticed that too. Mother was always against the idea of traveling with Carnival because she thought it was of lower quality if it was THAT cheap.

Holland, Princess, Cunard, and Sebourn for their higher end product.

In other words, the cruises for the middle aged/rich/retired or honeymoon folks. These cruises don't have a lot of activities for young adults.

Also, Carnival tends to attract a younger crowd.

Bingo. Though they also cater to families, it seems their target objective is more the young adult demographic. They'd make lots more if they had Studio cabins too.

OA260

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Cant go wrong with the Studios. I saw them a few times at the inaugural events. Took a load of pics of the studio cabins /bathroom and the nice lounge area etc... They are very popular and also feel like a seperate exclusive area with the lounge. NCL as a brand is on par with RCI if not better. I love their speciality restaurants. NCL also offer lots of booking incentives with free drinks packages and wifi etc.. free speciality dining etc.. look out for the offers there are some great deals to be had.

Out of the Spirit/Jade/Epic/Breakaway/Escape I have to say I still love the Jade and so looking forward to it coming back to the UK in 2017. Time to get my Visa card out  
personally I would go on one of Carnival's newer ships and get a oceanview or balcony as often they'll be the same price.

They are always trying to shift inventory. Get emails from them all the time. They are a not my cup of tea but they have a market for sure. Very young and lively on a budget tend to choose that brand these days although they do have a dedicated following for their more premium cabins who prefer that type of cruise experience.

jetwet1

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:42 am

They've always been cheaper than the other lines

Not true, I often find HAL and Princess to be cheaper than Carnival.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 5):
Now THAT'S a cruise I'd like to take. Transatlantic all the way.

That make two of us.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 8):
In other words, the cruises for the middle aged/rich/retired or honeymoon folks. These cruises don't have a lot of activities for young adults.

Not true.

Bingo. Though they also cater to families, it seems their target objective is more the young adult demographic. They'd make lots more if they had Studio cabins too.

It depends, on the 3-4 day cruise sure, on the 7 days and longer it's really a mixed bag.

DETA737

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 10):
Not true, I often find HAL and Princess to be cheaper than Carnival.

While they have good deals sometimes, the average age on their ships, particularly Holland tends to be in their 70s. Princess too seems to be for older travellers, whereas on Carnival, Royal, and Norwegian the demographic is a bit younger.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 10):

Not true.

A quick search on both Princess and Holland America reveals too many images of middle aged folks and barely any for young adults or families. That leads me to believe that these ships are not family oriented cruises. While they may have a couple of activities for kids, they pale in comparison to how Carnival and RCI are set up, with something for everyone.