dfwjim1
Topic Author

First Time Uber X And XL User - Thanks!

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:59 pm

My family and I tried Uber for the first time this weekend and we really liked the service - just wanted to put a good word in for the service.
I used Uber XL to drop off and pick up my family and me to and from the Fort Lauderdale Amtrak station and Uber X after dropping my
rental car off in Orlando. All of the drivers arrived quickly, had clean and roomy vehicles and drove safely.

I have never liked taxis so I am really happy to have discovered and used Uber!

LAX772LR

RE: First Time Uber X And XL User - Thanks!

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Has it just now arrived in Texas, or were you guys just slow to have tried it?

...if the former, do you have Lyft now too?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Jetsgo

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:47 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 1):
Has it just now arrived in Texas

Not to reply for him, but it's been in TX for at least a year. We used it in November 2014 to ride from IAH to Bayport Cruise Terminal. It was 45 miles and only $40 or so. Great first experience for us.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:17 pm

It's fun domestically... but you'll really start to love it when you use it internationally.

My friends and I use it in Brazil, Colombia, etc and it's by far the most efficient and private way to get around. Love Uber.

photopilot

Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 pm

So let's see.... You're riding in a vehicle that has had no safety inspection. With a driver who has had no type of background check, in a vehicle that likely carries absolutely no commercial insurance. You're personally totally at risk for any injuries, loss of income, death, etc in the event of a collision. In a vehicle/driver that also completely ignores local by-laws and Rules and Regulations regulating the taxi industry, hours of service for the driver, etc. And you think this is a great deal? Strange idea IMHO.

LAX772LR

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 pm

Congratulations... you basically just described the same concept as asking a neighbor for a ride.

flymia

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 4):
With a driver who has had no type of background check,

Where did you hear that? They do criminal and driving records checks.

in a vehicle that likely carries absolutely no commercial insurance

No, incorrect. Uber does carry liability insurance.

You're personally totally at risk for any injuries, loss of income, death, etc in the event of a collision

Uber carries liability insurance.

In a vehicle/driver that also completely ignores local by-laws and Rules and Regulations regulating the taxi industry, hours of service for the driver, etc

This is funny. First, in many of the places Uber is legal, and you pay extra fees for it. Second, Rules and Regulations about cabs. Have you been inside a Cab in Miami or Washington D.C. you want to talk about cars that need tons of repairs, drivers who need courses in driving and English. And here in Miami it is known that cab drivers SLEEP IN THEIR CARS at the airport to pick up the early morning arriving passengers.

Cab rules and regulations are not very enforceable. There is not Cab police making sure the cab drivers take required time off etc..

You're personally totally at risk for any injuries, loss of income, death, etc in the event of a collision.

As I am when I ride in a car with a friend. Your point?

You're riding in a vehicle that has had no safety inspection.

I have taken uber a lot when traveling all over the U.S. and this is not an exaggeration, 100% of the cars I have taken with Uber are nicer, cleaner, and 100% safer than the typical Miami or D.C. cab. These are normal every day cars, with working seat belts, normal sounding brakes and engines etc.. Cabs? Mostly used police cars with 250k miles on them.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

photopilot

Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:48 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 6):
Uber carries liability insurance.

Uber carries liability insurance to PROTECT UBER from lawsuits. It doesn NOT protect the passenger in a Uber car being driven by a private contract driver.

Quoting flymia (Reply 6):
As I am when I ride in a car with a friend. Your point?

Wrong... at least here in Canada. You would be covered by your friends insurance, or even by your own vehicle insurance company if you drive in a "no-fault" jurisdiction. The distinction is that there is no payment for being driven, separating a friend from a commercial transaction.

wingman

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:07 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 7):
Uber carries liability insurance to PROTECT UBER from lawsuits. It doesn't NOT protect the passenger in a Uber car being driven by a private contract driver.

That might be true in Canada but not in the US. This was an early criticism of Uber, and rightly so, but they added commercial liability to their UberX cars in 2013 and now cover passengers and drivers alike whether a fare is in progress or not (at first drivers were not covered when not carrying a paying passenger).

Anyway, welcome to Uber Mr. OP, you'll probably never catch a cab again. I read an astonishing article the other day on Uber economics and even in NYC where there are cabs everywhere you look, the value of a medallion has fallen from $1MM to around $250K in the past 3 years!

jbflyguy84

Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:41 am

Quoting photopilot (Reply 7):
Uber carries liability insurance to PROTECT UBER from lawsuits. It doesn NOT protect the passenger in a Uber car being driven by a private contract driver.

Meh... I'd still sooner risk my life in an Uber cab rather than some of the junk heaps driving around... fair play to you that I don't know cabs that well in North America, but have you taken a cab in Australia recently? Or Thailand for that matter?

Uber all the way... 7 countries and countless rides later I am still here to tell the story.

Uber will get there in the end... their large market cap allows them to buy some pretty nice lawyers to fight all the BS fighting originating from the incumbents.

VapourTrails

Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:48 am

Quoting jbflyguy84 (Reply 9):
Meh... I'd still sooner risk my life in an Uber cab rather than some of the junk heaps driving around... fair play to you that I don't know cabs that well in North America, but have you taken a cab in Australia recently? Or Thailand for that matter?

Uber all the way... 7 countries and countless rides later I am still here to tell the story.

Uber will get there in the end... their large market cap allows them to buy some pretty nice lawyers to fight all the BS fighting originating from the incumbents.

I have read some negative things in the meda, as per usual with most things, but the people I've spoken to that have used Uber have highly recommended them. I've yet to try them myself, however, but I am going into it with a positive outlook. The longer they are around, the longer people are able to suss them out, service experience etc.

Conventional taxis.. I have had mostly very good experiences. Bad ones include, talking on the phone on private calls, driving recklessly, and not taking care to avoid areas with foreseen traffic delays.

Cadet985

Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 3):

My friends and I use it in Brazil, Colombia, etc and it's by far the most efficient and private way to get around. Love Uber.

I used it a lot when I was in Israel. You hail a cab on the street, and you may get a good, honest driver, or you may get "The meter's broken," etc and get robbed (literally speaking). With Uber, totally different experience - for the better.

Marc

usflyer msp

Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:43 am

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 11):
I used it a lot when I was in Israel. You hail a cab on the street, and you may get a good, honest driver, or you may get "The meter's broken," etc and get robbed (literally speaking). With Uber, totally different experience - for the better.

I have to concur. I rarely use Uber in the US but use it almost exclusively abroad. Not needing cash and being able to type in the destination yourself so you don't have to explain it to a driver that does not speak your language is priceless.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:10 am

You're riding in a vehicle that has had no safety inspection

Only in states that don't mandate vehicle safety inspection, in which case, it's equally likely a registered, metered taxicab hasn't undergone one either. If I take an Uber from my house to RDU, it's undergone at least an annual safety inspection as mandated by NC law.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:13 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 8):

Thanks, Wingman, I am hooked on Uber already. The cab drivers, and the cars they drive, here in South Florida leave
much to be desired so I am really happy that Uber has come along.

QFA380

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:53 am

Glad you had a great experience with Uber, a friend of mine is a driver (bought car specifically for it) and he enjoys it while giving him hugely flexible work. I'm really looking forward to Lyft or an alternative entering the Australian market to provide some competition.

I absolutely loathe taxis and pretty much every thing about them. The vehicles are poorly maintained, rattling and smoking; nearly every time I'm forced into a cab the fuel light is flashing, there is no incentive to clean the cab whatsoever. I once was nearly ran over by a taxi driver trying to secure a spot on the rank, he started abusing me, I called the company and of course nothing came of it. Taxi drivers in Australia seem to nearly always be from the sub continent, they ALWAYS have earpieces in and can often be heard muttering away as part of a group chat. Cab drivers smoke while waiting for a fare so when you get in it is suffocating. Not only that but driving around cities or trying to park can be a nightmare when cab ranks are everywhere and taxis will line up for hundreds of metres for a 5 car long rank.

The taxi industry figured they could cozy up to government forever and ignore their customers, I'm very glad that within 15 years taxis (as we now know them) will be about as in demand as a cassette repairer.

waterpolodan

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:14 pm

So let's see.... You're riding in a vehicle that has had no safety inspection. With a driver who has had no type of background check, in a vehicle that likely carries absolutely no commercial insurance. You're personally totally at risk for any injuries, loss of income, death, etc in the event of a collision. In a vehicle/driver that also completely ignores local by-laws and Rules and Regulations regulating the taxi industry, hours of service for the driver, etc. And you think this is a great deal? Strange idea IMHO.

I have a full time job, but I've also been driving for Uber 10-12 hours a week here in Virginia for the last month for some extra money to pay down grad school loans.

1. Safety inspection- Some states have a mandated yearly inspection, Virginia is one of them. Uber requires that cars be 10 years old or newer, mine is less than 2 years old.

2. Background check- as pointed out, that's incorrect. Uber has a 3rd party provider that does a full background screen on prospective new drivers using your social and driver's license.

3. Insurance- As pointed out, Uber carries full coverage up to 1 million for driver/passenger. Also, a lot of insurance carriers are starting to offer "hybrid" personal/commercial policies that are designed for ride-share drivers. I have Geico and I purchased just such a policy before I started, most other drivers I've spoken to have done something similar. It adds additional coverage for the gaps in Uber's liability policy.

4. States and municipalities are developing rules and regulations for ride share drivers. Just because they don't have the same rules as taxis doesn't mean it's unregulated. Taxis are over-regulated because of decades of legislative manipulation by cab companies to prevent competition. Uber is destroying their old model, and there's no evidence to back up the idea that an uber driver is any less safe than a taxi. I'd say it's the opposite- we're more safe.

I've really enjoyed it. It's not a gold mine because there are so many other drivers in town, but it's an extra stream of income with complete flexibility. The passengers have all been extremely friendly, and most people are just relieved to have a clean car and a driver that they can relate to. That's not a dig on cabbies, but passengers regularly comment on how nice it is to have a driver they can have a conversation with because they're well-educated or from that area or whatever.

You can get into the argument about whether Uber should offer better benefits for its drivers, like worker's compensation coverage or some sort of health plan options, but my opinion is that we are and should be considered independent contractors since we control our schedule, provide our own equipment, and cover our own expenses associated with driving, so if people think that's unfair they shouldn't do it in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

OA412

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:40 pm

I personally prefer Lyft, particularly after some of the allegations about Uber and their treatment of female passenger, and the way one of their execs basically suggested a witch-hunt against the journalist who wrote about it. However, cabs have a long history of treating minorities poorly, particularly by refusing to pick up black passengers. I have yet to see similar allegations lobbed against either Uber or Lyft.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 5):
Congratulations... you basically just described the same concept as asking a neighbor for a ride.

Well not exactly, only in the sense that you're often not paying your neighbor for that ride.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

photopilot

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 16):
there's no evidence to back up the idea that an uber driver is any less safe than a taxi. I'd say it's the opposite- we're more safe.

Really??? An your that Uber are more safe. Any actual information to back that up? Oh wait... found some for ya...... LMAO!!!!
http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

waterpolodan

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:26 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 18):
Really??? An your that Uber are more safe. Any actual information to back that up? Oh wait... found some for ya...... LMAO!!!!

Ok. You addressed one of my points, and you did it with an article that comes from a website with this as their introduction:

We are an initiative of the Taxicab, Limousine & Paratransit Association (TLPA). TLPA has been the leading source of for-hire vehicle industry knowledge since its founding in 1917.

So, yea. They might just have an agenda in smearing ride-share initiatives.   

Also, if I'm reading that correctly, your article just lists incidents involving rideshare vehicles. Guess what? Taxis are also involved in incidents, it just happens when you have enough of both types of service on the road. You need something comparative, not just something listing how on very rare occasions there are negligent Uber drivers.

Here's a counterpoint from a source that doesn't have a financial interest in the perception battle-

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/.../report-uber-lyft-as-safe-as-taxis

Another-

http://mashable.com/2014/12/11/taxi-drivers-so-crazy/

Another-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/19/stop-attacking-uber-for-lax-safety-standards/

In case you don't have time to read it, these all include studies showing that Taxi drivers are more likely to break traffic laws, and passengers in Uber/Lyft are just as safe if not safer than they are in traditional cabs.

Do you want to back out of any of the other brash claims you made against rideshare services, or are you just going to ignore those?

Anyway, back to the OP- Glad you've enjoyed the service. To me, it's the best thing to happen to social drinking and nights out in a loooong time. The data backs that up, too. DUI rates are declining in cities with the service-

https://newsroom.uber.com/us-illinois/dui-rates-decline-in-uber-cities/

[Edited 2016-02-03 09:32:07]

ArmitageShanks

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:29 pm

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

That's a lobbying source paid for by cab companies.

Are you really that delusional to think traditional cabs are better than Uber/Lyft for just about everyone? From a comfort, convenience and price standpoint its not even close.

Every cab in my town sucks. Literally every single one. They are old, the drivers are sketchy and charge 20 dollars for a 3 mile trip. Oh, and you have to wait 30 minutes for one to show up.

waterpolodan

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:36 pm

^ ^ This guy gets it.

I know at least a handful of people who read one story one time about how an uber driver assaulted a passenger, and they've written off the entire rideshare industry as "unsafe" and "completely unregulated" without looking into the facts.

You just can't win those people over, and that's fine. I'd rather not have a passenger in the back seat of my car gripping a can of mace and trembling in fear, I'd rather have someone chatting with me about my day job or my favorite restaurants or whatever.

pu

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:49 am

Newsflash: you don't have to ride Uber.

Is it ok for the rest of us to make our own choices? What if we are perfectly fine with taking all those dangerous risks ourselves instead of sharing them with you in the form of government or insurance?

The reason why Uber is a 40 billion dollar company only a few years old and a global enterprise is because it let's the individual decide instead of you.

We don't need you deciding details in our lives like our transportation needs. Decide for yourself only, please.

Pu.

miamiflyer8

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:18 am

Uber is definitely my preferred method of ground transportation. Especially in cities like Los Angeles, a taxi is $2.70/mile vs uberX which is 90¢ a mile which is three times cheaper.

Now, what is your policy when it comes to tipping an uber driver? I never tip uber drivers because the transaction is supposed to be cashless. If I'm using Lyft, I add a $2 tip thru the app.
Yours sincerely, miamiflyer8

Hywel

Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:01 am

Uber is officially banned here in Kuala Lumpur by SPAD (Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat, or the Public Land Transport Commission).

The chairman of SPAD, Tan Sri Datuk Seri Syed Hamid bin Syed Jaafar Albar (Malays have long names with federal and state awarded titles!) is married to a businesswoman who owns the franchise operating 80% of all the regular licensed taxis within the city. Coincidence?

There was actually a case around 3 months ago of an Uber driver being attacked by 4 angry taxi drivers, when picking up tourists from outside the Petronas Towers. The Uber car was jumped upon and the keys stolen. The police refused to investigate, just saying that Uber is illegal and the driver is to blame.

I try to use it whenever possible - a trip from my home into the city would be RM 60 on a normal metered taxi (many taxis are in bad condition, no seatbelts, the driver will always try and take a longer route) - or RM 25 with Uber (nice new car, polite driver, faster journey). It's a no brainer.

There are normally several taxis waiting in the lobby of my apartment complex, and Uber drivers won't come through the gate for fear of being seen picking up someone and being reported by the taxi drivers (their cars can be impounded). I normally have to walk outside and be picked up on the main road, and also sit in the front seat so it looks like a friend giving a lift.

1g

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:19 am

Quoting miamiflyer8 (Reply 23):

I've read Uber driver forums and a lot of the drivers expect a tip; a lot of them complain about not receiving a tip and there are some who show disdain towards passengers who don't tip. That being said because Uber does not have an in-app tipping system, a lot of the passengers do not tip.

It's kinda why I prefer Lyft and I have no idea why Uber doesn't have a system to tip. I can hardly blame the Uber drivers for showing disdain to passengers who don't tip, being an Uber driver wasn't exactly the most lucrative job ever and on top of that Uber has recently lowered their fares by around 10-20% in 100 cities.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 am

Quoting Hywel (Reply 24):
Uber is officially banned here in Kuala Lumpur by SPAD (Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat, or the Public Land Transport Commission).

At this moment, it's not officially banned, otherwise Uber will not be recruiting drivers like mad. Khazanah Nasional, the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund, has invested some money into Uber so I don't really see why they'd want to ban Uber but yet invest in the company.

I am a part time Uber driver & I know of many others who are doing it both part & full time. In fact right now a lot of the drivers are shifting to other ridesharing companies because Uber recently lowered the fare to a level where it doesn't make economic sense to pursue it further.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Hywel

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:47 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 26):
At this moment, it's not officially banned, otherwise Uber will not be recruiting drivers like mad. Khazanah Nasional, the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund, has invested some money into Uber so I don't really see why they'd want to ban Uber but yet invest in the company.

But it's not fully legal either, and many of the drivers I've seen are scared of being reported, for example not picking up people at prominent places.

sccutler

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 16):

You can get into the argument about whether Uber should offer better benefits for its drivers, like worker's compensation coverage or some sort of health plan options, but my opinion is that we are and should be considered independent contractors since we control our schedule, provide our own equipment, and cover our own expenses associated with driving, so if people think that's unfair they shouldn't do it in the first place.

It is not difficult to conclude that Uber is, in most instances, going to be safer than traditional taxicabs, and here's why.

In the overwhelming majority of major metropolitan areas in the United States, the taxicab model works like this: a small number of well-financed and politically-connected taxicab operating companies dominates in any given metropolitan area, and through their domination and political influence, they ensure that extremely restrictive taxicab operation rules are in place. The essential goal of these rules is not to promote safety, but rather, to ensure that only large operators can afford to own taxicabs in the first place.

They accomplish this by restricting the number of cab operating permits available (often called "medallions"), and imposing rules regarding the age of taxicabs. The large operators own fleets of cabs, in turn, "lease" the cabs to cab drivers in 24-hour increments. The economic model is such that a cabdriver is economically-compelled to drive for as many of those 24 hours as possible, as it often takes 18 or 20 hours of driving to simply cover the cost of the taxicab lease, with whatever they can earn in the remaining hours representing their (often meager) profit. (As an aside, remember this when you get into a cab and observe a cabbie who appears a bit disheveled and, perhaps, smells a bit - he or she may be nearing the end of their 24-hour lease and cannot afford to stop, bathe and rest; it is not necessarily by choice!).

Independent owner-operator cabdrivers cannot compete against this, because (1) the cost of securing a Medallion in an artificially-constricted marketplace is prohibitive, and (2) they are compelled to purchase newer vehicles than necessary.

By way of illustration, Dallas once had a thriving independent cab-owner community, many of whom affiliated for dispatch purposes under the "Terminal Cab" flag. A large taxicab operating company, using bribes and political influence, persuaded the city Council to pass restrictive ordinances which effectively put independent cab operators out of business. The justification was that any taxicab more than three years old was, by definition, "dangerous," a ridiculous premise as we all know. There were many independent cab operators who had beautiful and luxurious vehicles, maintained exquisitely which could no longer be used as taxicabs (I remember one who had a custom full-sized van with television, a wet bar and many other amenities; his cab was in high demand among repeat customers, but that degree of investment in the vehicle could not be supported by an individual who is required to replace it every three years). In fact, a city Council member was convicted and sentenced to prison as a result of his influence-peddling in connection with the same case (his conviction was overturned on procedural grounds, and he was not retried because, by that time, he was afflicted by terminal cancer and passed away before he could have been retried anyway; the evidence was comprehensive and damning, and one would expect a conviction upon retrial but, of course, we'll never know).

As for "benefits for drivers," in the typical taxicab model, each cabdriver is an independent contractor, leasing the cab as described above; no benefits provided.

Quite frankly, the presence of Uber and Lyft in the marketplace are great equalizers of these problems, and I fully expect cab companies to step up their game to compete, as well. Not surprisingly, the winners in this should be the consumers.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

waterpolodan

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:21 pm

Quoting 1g (Reply 25):

I've been tipped maybe 5 times in about 200 trips I've driven so far. I certainly don't expect it and when I ride as a passenger I don't tip. Other drivers in my region feel the same way. It must just be a city by city thing where a certain number of passengers do tip and the drivers come to expect it.

B777LRF

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:29 pm

This is a picture of a bog-standard taxi where I live:

They are cleaned inside and out twice a day. Quite often comes with a copy of the daily paper, most are WiFi equipped. Drivers are trained, certified and uniformed. They draw a fixed hourly salary + bonus, they get a pension, they have 5 weeks off and are paid during sickness. In other words, it's treated like a job just like any other. Taxicabs are heavily regulated, subject to quarterly checks, never more than 2.5 years old, owner has a very long compliance list to negotiate etc.

You can hail a cab using an app and you know, with a degree of certainty approaching as close to 100% as possible, that a clean, new vehicle of high standard will take you by the shortest/most convenient route to your destination in perfect comfort and safety, priced to ensure it's a viable business for the owner and a liveable job for the driver.

Why would I want Uber to come and ruin that? See, I'm not a member of the 'me, me, me' generation who sees no further than the tip of their noses or, in this case, their wallets. I will not have Uber ruin a perfectly good trade no more than I'll have Ryanair trying the same act of sabotaging the social system. Ryanair was booted out, one trust the same faith shall befall Uber.
Signature. You just read one.

waterpolodan

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 30):
They are cleaned inside and out twice a day. Quite often comes with a copy of the daily paper, most are WiFi equipped. Drivers are trained, certified and uniformed. They draw a fixed hourly salary + bonus, they get a pension, they have 5 weeks off and are paid during sickness. In other words, it's treated like a job just like any other. Taxicabs are heavily regulated, subject to quarterly checks, never more than 2.5 years old, owner has a very long compliance list to negotiate etc.

You can hail a cab using an app and you know, with a degree of certainty approaching as close to 100% as possible, that a clean, new vehicle of high standard will take you by the shortest/most convenient route to your destination in perfect comfort and safety, priced to ensure it's a viable business for the owner and a liveable job for the driver.

Why would I want Uber to come and ruin that? See, I'm not a member of the 'me, me, me' generation who sees no further than the tip of their noses or, in this case, their wallets. I will not have Uber ruin a perfectly good trade no more than I'll have Ryanair trying the same act of sabotaging the social system. Ryanair was booted out, one trust the same faith shall befall Uber.

Couple of points to be made.

Most places do not have taxis that are anywhere near the standards you mention. I can't think of a single city in the US with such a taxi service, and that's largely for the reasons mentioned by sccutler above. Uber is faster, safer, more convenient, and cleaner than 99.9% of cab services in the US.

There are plenty of cabs here that accept nothing other than cash, hardly speak English, only have central dispatchers who give vague estimates of arrival times, ect. ect. Clearly that's not a problem for Luxembourg, so the playing field there between Uber and traditional cabs is very different there. In the US, Uber is cheaper, cleaner, and seemingly safer. In Luxembourg, it sounds like Uber would just be cheaper, so it comes down to what people are willing to pay and what they expect from their transportation services.

It seems to me that you think that Uber shouldn't even be allowed to compete with those cabs. Isn't that artificial? Maybe to gain entry into your market they should be held to the same driver screening standards, and I agree with that, but things like driver uniforms, twice daily cleaning, nearly brand-new vehicles with wifi, ect. are not "necessities" and just drive up fares versus Ubers.

If passengers value those things and want to pay for them, let them, but if they'd prefer to save money and use an equally safe service in someone's personal car with Uber, why limit their ability to do that just to keep the cabs afloat?

Yes, Uber's entry into your market (if they haven't already done so?) would potentially cause cabbies to lose their jobs, but should the customers suffer higher prices just to keep an industry afloat through artificially regulated competition?

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 29):

In my limited experience with Uber I have tipped the driver on every trip. Why?

1). Each driver got me to my destination in a clean and well-maintained vehicle with no delay and hassle.

2). I am saving money using Uber over a traditional taxicab.

3). There is always cash in my wallet.

4). I enjoy helping someone who is working hard to provide good/great customer service.

waterpolodan

Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 32):
In my limited experience with Uber I have tipped the driver on every trip. Why?

1). Each driver got me to my destination in a clean and well-maintained vehicle with no delay and hassle.

2). I am saving money using Uber over a traditional taxicab.

3). There is always cash in my wallet.

4). I enjoy helping someone who is working hard to provide good/great customer service.

Nice, you should come to Virginia and ride in my car then!

pu

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:50 pm

Why would I want Uber to come and ruin that?

Why are you so afraid of letting people spend the money they work for as they please? Why do you insist on imposing your values onto everyone else to the point that choice is eliminated?

Don't like uber? Don't ride with them. But don't deny me the choice of who to hire for a ride. I don't need decisions like this made by the government, thank you.

If the benefits of your wonderful taxi monopoly are so wonderful, no one will choose uber anyway, so what are you afraid of?

Pu.

Rara

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Quoting Pu (Reply 34):
If the benefits of your wonderful taxi monopoly are so wonderful, no one will choose uber anyway, so what are you afraid of?

There's your answer:

Quoting miamiflyer8 (Reply 23):
a taxi is $2.70/mile vs uberX which is 90¢ a mile which is three times cheaper.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

skywaymanaz

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:59 pm

I unexpectedly found myself out of work briefly last summer and worked as an Uber driver before getting my current job. It was better than being on unemployment but that is about as charitable as I'll be. I'm sure it's a good deal for the consumer. For me I drive a Lexus which qualified for the Uber Select rate but I was required to take UberX fares. So 80% of my fares were at UberX rate and that wasn't worth it. The rates were cut around the time I got my current job and have recently been cut again. You only make the rates the company touts in their ads if you work "the drunk hours" on the weekends. I'm sure most people out clubbing are a lot of fun but I never wanted to risk one of them throwing up in my car. I only worked daylight hours and found too many of my trips were to the airport. Since you can drop off but not pick up there that meant a lot of mostly UberX dead miles back out every time. Speaking of dead miles I chased after a number of fares that cancelled on me within 5 minutes. You don't make a dime off those. From what I read on driver forums it seems a lot of people ping Uber and Lyft to see who will get there faster then cancel the slower one. After I caught on I wouldn't even start my car for at least 60 seconds after accepting a ride to see if they cancelled on me. That practice on my part quickly dropped my rating from 4.96 to 4.85. Probably an extra person or two 4 starred me seeing I didn't move right away. Uber also got a little stingy about paying me cancellations where I sat for 10 minutes out front waiting too. I had one guy ping me on Select rate to the airport and as soon as we got on the freeway the ride was cancelled. When I tried to politely ask if he may have accidentally cancelled he got irate with me and refused to make a new ping request insisting it was a glitch with Uber. I only finished the ride because it was close and thought I'll give Uber the chance to make it right. The customer was pissed he got hit with a $10 cancel fee and demanded to know why I was charging him for that. I told him he'd have to take it up with Uber but it's less than he'd owe me if the ride wasn't cancelled. I was nice about it but he couldn't rate me so I wasn't too interested in appeasing him for what sure looked like a scam. Uber took over two weeks to pay me for the ride and I had the impression they only paid me because I threatened to kick out the next customer on the freeway if that happened to me again. Maybe if I had a cheaper car that I didn't care as much about destroying it might marginally be worth it but for UberX in my more expensive car no way in ****. I'll say this though 95%+ of the fares were really nice people and a pleasure to drive but the no tip option when Lyft offers it alone makes me doubt I'd drive for them again.

sccutler

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:14 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 29):
I've been tipped maybe 5 times in about 200 trips I've driven so far. I certainly don't expect it and when I ride as a passenger I don't tip. Other drivers in my region feel the same way. It must just be a city by city thing where a certain number of passengers do tip and the drivers come to expect it.

I have had more Uber drivers decline tips than accept them, always offered (as I have done for most cab drivers, whose conditions I have never envied). Is Uber trying to discourage drivers from accepting tips?

Good gracious, I had thought Ryanair was doing alright. In any event, we don't have cabs like what you describe for Luxembourg, and I daresay that if we did, there'd be little incentive for an alternative. As someone else above wrote, if the value of the existing cab operations is sound, they need not fear the competition.

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 36):
The rates were cut around the time I got my current job and have recently been cut again.

I would urge drivers to not work for inadequate rates, and I would urge Uber not to unreasonably cut rates on the drivers whose efforts make the business a success.

. Since you can drop off but not pick up there that meant a lot of mostly UberX dead miles back out every time.

Airports I frequent (DAL, DFW, AUS, SAT) all allow Uber pickups. Where is it that you cannot pick up at the airport?

(Aside: When DFW opened, there was a captive taxi company called "Surtran" which was the only cab company allowed to pick up from DFW Airport; a fleet of brand-new brown 1972 and 1973 Chevrolet Bel Airs. So if you took a regular cab to DFW, they had to dead-head back home. It was a broken system from the git-go, quickly done away with).

From what I read on driver forums it seems a lot of people ping Uber and Lyft to see who will get there faster then cancel the slower one.

That's chicken-dirt - the apps tell you how long to expect, and tend to be accurate; if you don't like it, don't call them. I would assume that Uber and Lyft can monitor for excessive cancellations and suspend accounts for abusers. Will they?

skywaymanaz

Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:28 am

Quoting sccutler (Reply 37):
Is Uber trying to discourage drivers from accepting tips?

Yes, they require drivers to say a tip is not required. If the customer offers a second time the driver can accept.

Quoting sccutler (Reply 37):
Where is it that you cannot pick up at the airport?

PHX currently does not allow pickups for UberX or Select drivers. That may soon change.

sccutler

Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 38):
Yes, they require drivers to say a tip is not required. If the customer offers a second time the driver can accept.

Good to know, so I can still tip without insulting anyone. thanks!

usflyer msp

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:44 pm

Sorry but I will never tip an Uber driver. To me, that defeats one of the main purposes of using Uber; not having to deal with cash.

sccutler

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 40):
Sorry but I will never tip an Uber driver. To me, that defeats one of the main purposes of using Uber; not having to deal with cash.

I get that, and I won't carry a big roll, but I like to reward good service and I respect the inherent risk of starting one's own business, however modest.