Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

einsteinboricua

USA Election Thread - Part 1

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Rand Paul calls it quits

Source

I thought he'd remain considering he got a respectable 5th place finish...ahead of many other "establishment" figures.

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 49):
Looking at his plan for big tax hikes it's no surprise

This right there could alienate potential independents and moderate Democrats. I favor a moderate tax hike but I wanna see a decent ROI and spending control too.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

bmacleod

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:15 pm

Interesting facts here looking at Chinese Zodiac calendar

Ronald Reagan was born in 1911 - Year of the Pig

Hillary Clinton was born in 1947 - Also Year of the Pig

Marco Rubio also falls under Year of the Pig born in 1971.

Reagan elected in 1980 - year of the Monkey - 2016 is also year of the Monkey...

http://www.chinese-astrology.co.uk/pig.html

[Edited 2016-02-03 06:22:42]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Osubuckeyes

Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:45 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 51):

So your saying that the nominations of Rubio and Clinton will be due to mass cyber attacks on the nights of primaries?  

slider

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 50):
Rand Paul calls it quits

I'm so disappointed he packed it in; at least this early, before NH and SC, where he was projected (at least in NH) to have a very strong showing.

I make no bones about it that he was my guy.

There's no real candidate IMO left that has made a clear cut case for individual liberty, fiscal conservatism and sound foreign policy like Dr. Paul. It's maddening that he was shut out by the establishment. Makes me furious.

This is how the game is played folks--welcome to two-party oligarchy in the 21st Century.

He needs to continue to have his voice heard; but dammit I think this is premature to cease the campaign before so many of the other schmucks haven't. He can still frame the entire debate and entire movement by staying in longer.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:06 pm

Quoting slider (Reply 53):
fiscal conservatism and sound foreign policy like Dr. Paul.

I feel for you. Especially on the latter, he has always had my respect. A voice of reason in a cacophony of testicle-grabbing idiocy by chickenhawk miscreants who wouldn't know military service if it hit them in the jaw.

It's maddening that he was shut out by the establishment. Makes me furious.

The RNC doesn't care about folks like you, and hasn't for awhile - that much is obvious, and unfortunate.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:17 pm

He can still frame the entire debate and entire movement by staying in longer.

The only thing that has damaged his brand is running under the Republican label. With so many views out of sync with the GOP, he's like a Log Cabin Republican: why are you sticking with people who do not share your points of views?

Not saying he should become a Democrat, but he'd gain a bigger following if he switched to independent.

casinterest

Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:20 pm

This is how the game is played folks--welcome to two-party oligarchy in the 21st Century.

Not sure where you have been, but this is how the game has been played for most of the existence of the US.

It would be great to have more than two parties, but Rand Paul's Libertarian stance puts him in a realm where social conservatives and War hawks are not willing to go. That puts Libertarians as a minority in the GOP. They are basically asked to suck it up and go along.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

OA412

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 35):
And frankly, if he has a Congress as intransigent as this one, one could argue that refusal to negotiate would perhaps be even more productive than what Mr. Obama did with "trying to be reasonable" and winding up with very little to show for it.

I think it's guaranteed. The GOP has made it pretty clear that their modus operandi re: any potential Democratic president is to block them rather than work with them. I actually suspect Bernie would have an easier time than Clinton in spite of his more liberal point of view, simply because he's not a woman, and because the GOP really hates her.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 36):
Well that i agree 100%. Trump is joke an am truly scared of Rafael Cruz.

I am too. I don't necessarily think he's a shoe-in for the nomination, but I also don't believe it's too terribly out of the question. I've seen several people call him unelectable. I think that's probably true, but I worry about complacency setting in among those who think they don't have to bother because no one would ever put Cruz in the White House.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 38):

Indeed. I was just listening to a story last week about this very thing and the resentment that many (likely most) Latino immigrants feel toward Cubans who are granted automatic amnesty when entering the US regardless of their reason for coming here.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 40):
The "religious crazies" aren't some outlying fringe group though; they're a significant percentage of the base. These elections are about turnout, and you have to get them out and voting.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 41):
No chance in hell for Cruz in a general, the math simply isn't there. He can't sell the middle the way GWB did. The west and east coasts loathe Cruz, and that's 160 million people right there. Forget it Ted.

I do think you're likely correct, but I just come back to what I said above regarding compalcency.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 46):
Cruz even managed to throw in a "Our rights come from God, not the constitution" yesterday

Oh lawd. This is a great example of his willingness to say anything that will get him elected, no matter how little he may believe it. He's an attorney. He knows that's utter BS.

Quoting Adipasquale (Reply 45):
He plays well with very conservative, evangelical voters, but between his hard line positions and his creepy looks, Cruz will not win over many undecided voters, even if it is Sanders who gets the Dem nomination.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds him uber creepy. His looks and that smarmy voice make chills run down my spine.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 47):

Rand Paul calls it quits

I'd forgotten he was still in the running...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

bmacleod

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:30 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 51):
Interesting facts here looking at Chinese Zodiac calendar

Ronald Reagan was born in 1911 - Year of the Pig

Hillary Clinton was born in 1947 - Also Year of the Pig

Marco Rubio also falls under Year of the Pig born in 1971.

Reagan elected in 1980 - year of the Monkey - 2016 is also year of the Monkey...
Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 52):
So your saying that the nominations of Rubio and Clinton will be due to mass cyber attacks on the nights of primaries?

Astrology can play a big part in who wins an election.

Hillary will be the same age (69) as Reagan was in 1980. Like Reagan she was born in Illinois and switched parties - she was a Republican in the 1960s but went Dem after Watergate. Reagan was a Democrat before going GOP.

You can argue that like Reagan vs Carter; Hillary is more moderate or centrist than Obama. She keeps identifying herself as Progressive.

Just my   

[Edited 2016-02-03 09:31:39]

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 57):
I actually suspect Bernie would have an easier time than Clinton in spite of his more liberal point of view, simply because he's not a woman, and because the GOP really hates her.

I think not. The fact that Bernie wants to raise taxes means that any proposal he brings forward will either have to eliminate the tax raises or be modified into something the GOP prefers.

Sanders: "Hey Congress. Here's proposal to provide free education with tax raises. Pass it."
Congress: "Nope. No tax raises"

One of two scenarios will happen:

Scenario 1:
Sanders: "Yes. Raise taxes."
Congress: "Nope. No tax raises"

Repeat until 2020 elections

Scenario 2:
Sanders: "OK, then let's reduce spending on *department GOP loves*"
Congress: "Nope. Reduce spending on SS, Medicare or throw out Obamacare instead. BTW, regardless, this money will be spend on *department GOP loves*. *Passes tax cuts*"

zckls04

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:57 pm

He needs to continue to have his voice heard; but dammit I think this is premature to cease the campaign before so many of the other schmucks haven't. He can still frame the entire debate and entire movement by staying in longer.

Expensive business though. For third party candidates to get any foothold I think we need to start figuring out how to reduce the cost of the election.

http://mic.com/articles/118598/7-fac...-s-elections-really-are#.W86TuqB4y

Unfortunately the Citizens United debacle has pretty much made that an impossibility.
Four Granavox Turbines!

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:22 pm

I thought he'd remain

It became clear after Iowa that his father's political machine was not going to rev for him, so he's out.
That's the only chance he had.

but dammit I think this is premature to cease the campaign before so many of the other schmucks haven't.

Uh, small problem: who was going to pay for him to continue?

Quoting casinterest (Reply 56):
but Rand Paul's lip service to Libertarian stance puts him in a realm where social conservatives and War hawks are not willing to go.

FIFY.
Rand Paul is no Libertarian. Ron Paul was.

Get Rand Paul talking about something like gay marriage, and tell me how he sounds any differently than any other social conservative?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

casinterest

Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 61):
Get Rand Paul talking about something like gay marriage, and tell me how he sounds any differently than any other social conservative?

He has to talk like that in order to have any chance of getting elected within the GOP, and Kentucky to boot. You don't think he became a senator purely on his libertarian beliefs do you?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 62):
He has to talk like that in order to have any chance of getting elected within the GOP

Which makes him a pathetic sellout, which his dad was not.

You don't think he became a senator purely on his libertarian beliefs do you?

Seems to me, he's more a Republican that gives lip service to libertarian beliefs.... than a Libertarian who gives lip service to Republican beliefs.

And it's apparently not just me. Others see it too, which is likely why he hasn't managed to attract a fraction of his father's groundswell support.

[Edited 2016-02-03 14:17:37]

casinterest

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 63):
Which makes him a pathetic sellout, which his dad was not.

He got elected Senator under such beliefs. His father never would have gotten that position.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 63):

Seems to me, he's more a Republican that gives lip service to libertarian beliefs.... than a Libertarian who gives lip service to Republican beliefs.

That would be why he ran under the republican party. There isn't enough support to run under the pure Libertarian banner.

DeltaMD90

Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:54 pm

There's no real candidate IMO left that has made a clear cut case for individual liberty, fiscal conservatism and sound foreign policy like Dr. Paul. It's maddening that he was shut out by the establishment. Makes me furious.

No, the pre-2016 campaign Rand Paul was all of that. He was never my #1 pick but I respected him so much more before he started running and selling his soul to the GOP and evangelicals. I hope he goes back to the Senate, ditches his new found views (anti-gay for example) and continues to fight the good fights in the Senate. Maybe next time he can run without all the horrible social conservative baggage

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 58):

What??  

He has to talk like that in order to have any chance of getting elected within the GOP, and Kentucky to boot.

And that was his problem. I don't think he was "ignored" by the media (not any more than any other candidate polling as well as he was) I think a lot of his support died when he began his campaign and did 180s on many issues a real libertarian would be for/against

To me, he was just a sell out. Too bad

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:40 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 28):
And THAT'S why Trump lost in the end.... he finally met his kryptonite, and it was the "two Corinthians" statement.

That proved beyond a shadow of a doubt to the evangelicals that he is not one of them, never has been, and knows nothing about them-- because anyone who's spent even five seconds in Bible study would know how to say that book's name.

More evidence that Trump had revealed himself, irrecoverably, to the Evangelicals:

During a communion at a church he was attending, he became confused during the sacrament, and thought that the offering plate was a collection plate.... so he pulled out money!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...donald-trump-communion-church-iowa

flyingturtle

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:56 pm

Nope. Get a grasp for the gravitational forces in space first... no way Uranus has an influence on me, the elections, or anything else. The only appealing thing about astrology is that it is based on the (extremely) regular movements of the planets. This is the regularity we all long for in our live. But we should not be fooled by it.

In German politics, there is the so-called "Mierscheid law". The number of million tonnes of crude steel produced in an election year very accurately predicts the vote share of the social democrats - almost always it's only one or two percent points off the mark. Big grin Remarkably, the rule was published in 1983, and it is a prediction tool - unlike the Chinese calendar mentioned by you, where certain "laws" were only identified after getting the facts.

Good science accurately predicts something. It does not work by hindsight.

David

[Edited 2016-02-03 16:16:05]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

PHLBOS

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 65):
I hope he goes back to the Senate

He (Rand Paul) is still in the Senate and will now focus his attention towards his re-election bid this fall.

Since nobody has yet commented on such. Rick Santorum has since suspended his campaign. No surprise, his campaign never got off the ground.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

bmacleod

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:19 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 65):

What??  

Ok....If you want to understand reasoning for my comment here 's a link...

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/electional.html

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:46 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 64):
He got elected Senator under such beliefs. His father never would have gotten that position.
Quoting casinterest (Reply 64):
That would be why he ran under the republican party. There isn't enough support to run under the pure Libertarian banner.

Both of which go right back to my point:
He's no true Libertarian like his father... he's a shill who'll sell out to the GOP for political expediency (and, as we now know: get nothing for it).

But then again, I'm happy for him. He HATED this.

For all the attention that Trump's complaining got, no one seemed to noticed that the true whiner-in-chief was Rand Paul.
With statements like:
  • "I'll go back to being a doctor, and I'll be perfectly content" or
  • "Yes I'm running for President. Why would I be doing this dumbass livestream if I weren't running for President?"
    ......would YOU be inspired to support this dude, if you were still deciding?
  • I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

MD11Engineer

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 67):
    In German politics, there is the so-called "Mierscheid law". The number of million tonnes of crude steel produced in an election year very accurately predicts the vote share of the social democrats - almost always it's only one or two percent points off the mark. Big grin Remarkably, the rule was published in 1983, and it is a prediction tool - unlike the Chinese calendar mentioned by you, where certain "laws" were only identified after getting the facts.

I agree for the old days, when we still had a lot of heavy (steel and coal mining, you need four tones of coal for one ton of steel) industry, but not now anymore. The oldtime steel workers andcoal miners were mostly members of trade unions and staunch supporters of the SPD, so when the coal and steel industry was booming, there were also alot of miners and steel workers around to vote for the social democrats. Not anymore, since almost all coal mines have closed and most steel mills have gone the way of the Dodo as well, due to Chinese competition.

Jan
    Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DeltaMD90

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:02 am

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 69):

Please don't tell me you believe that the relative position of gaseous bodies light years away has any affect on us besides obvious practical applications like celestial navigation. I mean, seriously? How does any of that affect anything on earth? Even planets. How do they warp DNA or the upbringing of a person?

It's all bunk

scbriml

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 am

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 69):
    Ok....If you want to understand reasoning for my comment here 's a link...

I know it ends in 'ology', but it's not science.   
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
    There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

einsteinboricua

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 72):
    I mean, seriously? How does any of that affect anything on earth?

You know, when Mars enters the 8th house on retrograde, Doc loses the game.

bmacleod

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:24 pm

Donald Trump really defines the meaning of sore loser - he wants the Iowa Cacuses to be done over - and yet his numbers continue to stay strong.

What is it with Trump and his supporters   

einsteinboricua

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:46 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 75):
    Donald Trump really defines the meaning of sore loser

I actually give Trump some slack with this. Look up the events of the day and you'll see that there was dirty politics involved. Carson left Iowa to Florida for "R&R" (taking a break, apparently). The Ted Cruz campaign saw this as a sign that Carson dropped out and encouraged Cruz supporters to spread the word that Carson was out and convince Carson supporters to caucus for Cruz instead. Mrs. Carson was surprised and learned about this when, at a caucus site, she had to convince voters not about Carson's achievements but that Carson was still in, as people who were originally for Carson had already lined up for Cruz upon learning of the "tweet". The next day or so, the Cruz campaign apologized for misleading voters on it.

So, I understand Trump's frustration on this. And what's worse is that Cruz's campaign never attempted to correct the tweet; instead, an apology was sent out, long after the results were posted. The damage was done. So if he feels his win was stolen, I think both Trump and Carson have reason to be upset as their numbers were not reflective of the true level of support. Yes, Carson would have probably still remained in 4th place, but that 6k difference between Trump and Cruz could have been narrower or even inverse, with Trump actually winning Iowa.

The bigger argument is that if Cruz is willing to deceive people in this manner, I shudder to think what he's capable of if he's ever elected as president.

flyingturtle

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 76):

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
    To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
    To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

David
    Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Aaron747

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:53 am

Pretty poor showing by Rubio in this most recent GOP debate - what the hell was he on? Christie gave his strongest showing yet I'd say - too bad he's still too Catholic, heavy, Mafioso-looking or whatever for the average GOP voter.

Cruz was laughable with his claim socialized healthcare has never worked in any country, and pretty much couldn't recover from the embarrassing apology scene with Carson early on.

Trump is getting more seasoned onstage - Cruz and Rubio are going to have their work cut out for them.
    If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

einsteinboricua

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:15 pm

Marco does not compute

The criticism of Marco for being too scripted is revealed here. He truly is as if he had been programmed to say the same things, and when a moderator breaks him, he stumbles.

I loved Christie's rebuttal about how Washington is. Maybe Christie could steal the spotlight and deny Rubio is 2nd place in NH.

zippyjet

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):

Our illustrious former governor of our great state Maryland. He works out (for those into guys/not that there's anything wrong with that), sings and strums a guitar. Never met a tax he didn't like (And I'm a Democrat!) Is at least a generation younger than the old socialist (former) pickle man and the thick ankled harridan whos'e name starts with an H. O'Malley never got much traction. Would probably not carry his home state in a general election. Due to lack of funds and the conspiracy theory in me thinks maybe he was asked to bow out with the possible promise of a VP spot or spot in the next administration.

On the wild and wacky almost reality show circus that is the GOP we should no more after tonight's New Hampshire primary. However the real acid test will be the next go round South Carolina. It seems the big three are still Trump, Cruz, and Rubio. We shall see where it all falls.

And then the former mayor of NYC Michael Bloomberg just may run as an independent. He did a nice job according to many New Yorkers but in his last term got sort of elitist and preachy and became known as "Nanny Bloomberg." (Limiting soda sizes etc.)
    I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 am

Sanders and Trump win New Hampshire.

The real battle is for 2nd place. John Kasich maintains a healthy lead. Cruz and Bush vying for 3rd place. Rubio seems to have chocked back to 5th place. Looks like Christie's actions on Sunday's debate have worked. Rubio wanted 2nd place in NH and he polls far from 1st place in SC.

DeltaMD90

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:27 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 81):
    Looks like Christie's actions on Sunday's debate have worked.

Well, they only half way worked   Rubio went down but Christie stayed down

Kasich has second, wonder if that will get him any momentum, he seems to be less known than the other candidates

Cruz and Bush are battling for 3rd, very important for both. It will look bad for Cruz to go from 1 to 4 and Bush is on life support and could use a bronze medal in NH

Rubio... ouch

And look at Carson's miserable showing, about half of Fiorina!! Good, I don't see how he had any real support. I can usually play devil's advocate pretty well but I honestly am at a lost at how he could poll above 5%. He is clueless and cryptic

WarRI1

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:33 am

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 82):
    Kasich has second, wonder if that will get him any momentum, he seems to be less known than the other candidates

I like him somewhat, but of course he is Republican and in this day and age of polarization, I cannot see anyone I would cross the divide for. I made that mistake with Reagan and with Bush, once each.
    It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Okie

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:36 am

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 80):
    And then the former mayor of NYC Michael Bloomberg just may run as an independent.

He will most likely run as a Democrat.
    I think he is an opportunist and still politically connected to the point that he will have some insight on the HRC FBI investigation.
    If he smells blood in the water he will enter the campaign with "a billion dollars", dr evil smirk, of his own money.
    It would be hard to get Biden up to speed and financed to match that.
    If he does not get in the presidential campaign by around the first week or so of March then we can assume there will be no major issues from the FBI about HRC.
    I really do not think he would waste his time and money if it did not look like HRC would be damaged goods.
    Bloomberg had shown zero interest until this point.

Okie

LittleFokker

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:42 am

For what it's worth, Jim Gilmore of the GOP (who was still in it because........?) is getting beaten by the legendary Vermin Supreme in New Hampshire. And if you don't know who he is, there's a plethora of YouTube videos displaying his awesomeness.

Congratulations to Bernie for the big win tonight.
    "All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:56 am

Rubio went down but Christie stayed down

I don't think Christie intended to surge. If anything, I think Christie, Kasich, and Bush are using the argument that Rubio shouldn't be the establishment candidate. Who else can they rally around? That's for voters to decide. While Christie would have wanted the spotlight, I think he'll declare victory if Rubio is denied a top 3 finish.

And look at Carson's miserable showing, about half of Fiorina!! Good, I don't see how he had any real support. I can usually play devil's advocate pretty well but I honestly am at a lost at how he could poll above 5%. He is clueless and cryptic

Carson's life support are evangelicals that haven't flocked to Cruz yet. That's why he's going on to SC. I think if he doesn't pull a top 5 finish there, he's out. Even in the Southern states, his support is still not as strong. It's one thing to be move between the first 4; Super Tuesday follows. If you don't have the support and resources then, it's game over.

In a similar fashion, I think if Bush doesn't drop out today, he'll do so on Super Tuesday. Trump and Cruz are leading those states. If Bush and Christie drop and endorse Kasich, Kasich could become top tier contender, more so than Bush was.

WarRI1

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:08 am

I watched a few minutes of Hillary after the ass whupping, she has has an epiphany. She has learned Wall Street and the banks need regulation, that we need jobs, that we need campaign finance reform, gays need protection, that minorities need protection, that woman need equal pay, that wages need to rise. somehow this all seems familiar, as if another candidate has said this recently. Trust me, it was not a Republican.  

Osubuckeyes

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:47 am

Sounds like Christie is out of cash watching the news wire. Looks like he will be the next to drop out. I expect Fiorina and Carson to drop out next. It will be interesting who gets the most media coverage coming out of this as that will largely reflect outcome in SC.

Conversely, I find it interesting how cocky some of Sanders supporters have gotten, which isn't necessarily bad, but nh was easily the most favorable state for Sanders outside vt so his win really wasn't surprising at all or really significant for that matter.

WarRI1

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:54 am

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 88):
    Conversely, I find it interesting how cocky some of Sanders supporters have gotten, which isn't necessarily bad, but nh was easily the most favorable state for Sanders outside vt so his win really wasn't surprising at all or really significant for that matter.

As they all say, a win is a win. Of course time will tell about his message and staying power. I saw something on the news tonight about polling about who cares on the Dem. side. I think Sanders was about 96% to Clintons single digit percentage.

LAX772LR
    Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 am

And look at Carson's miserable showing, about half of Fiorina!! Good, I don't see how he had any real support.

Apparently, he never really did. It's one thing to have people show up at a rally for a book, it's another to have them vote for you to potentially ascend to the highest position of power on Earth.

Unfortunately for Carson, even GOP voters aren't that reckless.

He is clueless and cryptic

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 85):
    the legendary Vermin Supreme in New Hampshire.

That hat though!  

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 86):
    I think if he doesn't pull a top 5 finish there, he's out.

But that's attributing behavior of an actual campaign to him. There's still books to be sold... so why get out now?

einsteinboricua

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:35 am

NH was a sure win for him so while I congratulate him, it's a bit too early to see if his campaign really has life in it. If by Super Tuesday all he manages to carry is Vermont, then his campaign will be in jeopardy. With states that now have a winning threshold (win over X%, win all the delegates), if Clinton maintains her margin, she'll definitely start getting ahead. The question is whether Nevada will go for Sanders as a draw for the first nominating states (2-2).

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 90):
    There's still books to be sold... so why get out now?

Because now he can write another book and sell even more.

N867DA

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:55 am

The man isn't even a Democrat, so winning a state's Democratic primary is a noteworthy accomplishment. I am a hesitant Sanders backer, and while I'm happy he won I know it's an uphill battle for the nomination. He isn't even on the ballot in all fifty states yet. Six months ago Hillary Clinton just assumed she wouldn't even have to work for the nomination, as if she were some incumbent. I am glad she's started to realize that yes, there are 295 million other people--many Republicans--to consider before picking out furniture for the Oval Office.
    A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

Aaron747

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:55 am

I expect Fiorina and Carson to drop out next.

Fiorina already announced she's staying in. That woman is a vain glutton for failure.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 89):
    I saw something on the news tonight about polling about who cares on the Dem. side.

Not only that - honesty too. And at 74, he's in better shape than her for shooting hoops, apparently 

WarRI1

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:18 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 93):
    Fiorina already announced she's staying in. That woman is a vain glutton for failure.

She is the worst of the worst. She was complaining to the news people about being treated unfairly because she is a woman. She was railing on about jobs, we need jobs, she should have thought about that when she canned 30 k jobs to send them to China. I quote her. "I do not know any American that has the God given right to a job." Ditto for her.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 93):
    Not only that - honesty too. And at 74, he's in better shape than her for shooting hoops, apparently

With Trump and Sanders winning, the establishment is trembling. A Loss of control, fairness, honesty for the common person? Heaven forbid!

Osubuckeyes

Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:37 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 91):
    if Clinton maintains her margin, she'll definitely start getting ahead. The question is whether Nevada will go for Sanders as a draw for the first nominating states (2-2).

What is even more interesting though is that there is a set up for a "comeback" narrative for Sanders as SC hasn't been polled since before IA, and NV hasn't really been polled since December. So naturally there will be some closing in for Sanders as people decide, but I still expect HRC to carry SC. I don't have a good feel for NV. I think if the comeback narrative is played out it could mean a "surprisingly good" showing on Super Tues.

Quoting N867DA (Reply 92):

Yes, I think she has definitely gotten a wake up call and will have to answer for a lot of her past decisions etc... I also think political awareness is up on the Dem side as well as the Repub side, which is good for the country. Howeever, while Sanders may have been an Independent he consistently caucused with the Dems, fundraised for them, and reaped the benefits from the DNC.

LAX772LR
    Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:59 am

nh was easily the most favorable state for Sanders outside vt so his win really wasn't surprising at all or really significant for that matter.

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 91):
    Because now he can write another book and sell even more.

The two aren't mutually exclusive though... he can continue on now, write later.

The man isn't even a Democrat

But he's running as one, and under the auspices of the DNC....

Six months ago Hillary Clinton just assumed she wouldn't even have to work for the nomination

There's no evidence for that. Just babble from the far Left.

UA444

Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 am

Trump up by 51000 votes in NH. Just wow. Sanders also up by 50000 over HRC.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:56 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 84):
    Bloomberg had shown zero interest until this point.

Okie

If Bloomberg runs, it's because he's afraid Bernie's going to get the nomination. How dare we pick someone who isn't one of his own kind.

bjorn14

Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:26 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 98):

Hmm...both Bloomberg and Sanders are Jewish and both are leftwing moonbats. What's not to like?

After HRC got her hat handed to her in NH she'll have to bone up on her fake Southern drawl. Looks like a repeat of 2008, HRC was the dominant candidate then ne'er do well senators came from nowhere and took what was rightfully hers.
    "I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein