Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DLFREEBIRD
Topic Author

U.S. Military General Wants Women To Register For

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:13 am

U.S. Military generals want women to register for draft

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/02/politi...military-draft-generals/index.html

CNN)Two of the U.S. military service chiefs believe women should now be required to register for the draft after the Defense Department opened up all combat jobs to women.

Marine Corps Commandant Gen. Robert Neller and Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley agreed that the current policy, which requires only males register for the Selective Service System, should be changed after restrictions that barred women from trying out for combat jobs were lifted last year.

Does this make sense to you? Should genital geometry make one exempt from serving the country?

WarRI1

RE: U.S. Military General Wants Women To Register For

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:29 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Thread starter):
Does this make sense to you? Should genital geometry make one exempt from serving the country?

I have no problem with it. The word equality comes into play here. They wanted it, they have it If this comes true. Would I want my daughter to be in this situation, honestly no.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:44 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 1):
I have no problem with it. The word equality comes into play here.

THIS.

You want equality? You're getting it. The good with the bad.

coolian2

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:46 am

Fair is fair.

The more relevant question is WHY DOES THIS EXIST NOW?

fr8mech

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:47 am

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Thread starter):
Does this make sense to you?

Yes, it does. Quite frankly, they should have been required to register with Selective Service decades ago. Now, that restrictions to combat assignments have been lifted, it is only natural that women be required to register.

https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Women-And-Draft

Would I want my daughter to be in this situation, honestly no.

Why? I have a son and daughter and have no problem with them being required to register with Selective Service.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:51 am

Would you want your son (if you had/have one) either though?

I mean, seriously-- who wants their kid sent off to war against their will, and usually for the benefit of old fat white males playing political gamesmanship?

fr8mech

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 3):
The more relevant question is WHY DOES THIS EXIST NOW?

What do you mean?

The Selective Service System exists to provide a readily available pool of names should it become necessary to bring conscription back. We have had an all volunteer military in the United States since 1973.

coolian2

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:01 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 6):

And there's exactly no way that scenario would happen. It's basically scaring people for no reason.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:06 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 4):
Why? I have a son and daughter and have no problem with them being required to register with Selective Service.

The old mentality still lingers in my heart. It is man work on the front lines. I cannot imagine my daughter, or any one else's being captured, the stuff of nightmares to a Parent.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 5):
Would you want your son (if you had/have one) either though?

I mean, seriously-- who wants their kid sent off to war against their will, and usually for the benefit of old fat white males playing political gamesmanship?

To be honest no, but if it is required one would have no choice but to remember all who have gone before and try to defend the country. Thank goodness for the men and women who do this voluntarily.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:09 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 7):
And there's exactly no way that scenario would happen. It's basically scaring people for no reason.

Scaring? Who is scared? Selective Service has existed for decades.

It exists because "shit happens" and the military is real good at planning for "shit happens", and the Congress, in a rare act of sense and sensibility decided to look long term instead of the end of their collective noses.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 8):
I cannot imagine my daughter, or any one else's being captured, the stuff of nightmares to a Parent.

I'd hate it if my son or daughter got captured. I don't distinguish between the two.

[Edited 2016-02-03 19:10:52]

Aaron747

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:37 am

I cannot imagine my daughter, or any one else's being captured, the stuff of nightmares to a Parent.

A kid is a kid. Our generation doesn't play favorites. It sucks no matter who's kid gets captured.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 2):
You want equality? You're getting it. The good with the bad.

This. And this again. Frankly, a lot of women I knew growing up would be a bigger PITA in the military than it's probably worth - but there are plenty of others who would perform admirably. Not all men do well in there either, so it balances out in the end.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:45 am

but if it is required one would have no choice but to remember all who have gone before and try to defend the country.

Sh!t on that. You want to see revolution? ...then let this dysfunctional government try to institute a draft here in the 2010s.

You will see people rise against this government in a way the Sanders/Trumps/Bundys and any other self-styled revolutionaries could never even dream of.

Boeing717200

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:04 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 11):

The only way we'd need a draft is if someone nukes us and takes out some major cities. If someone nukes us the gloves are off anyway and no one gives a rip about being drafted. It's all about kicking whoever's ass it is that did it. Even then we'd likely carpet bomb the ever living shit out of them (if we haven't nuked them anyway) before anyone drafted was put in harms way.

That said, I wish service was compulsory. Toughen some people up a bit.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:09 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 9):
I'd hate it if my son or daughter got captured. I don't distinguish between the two.

Of course you would, but the horrors of capture fall a little more heavy on a woman. Think about it.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:16 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 10):
A kid is a kid. Our generation doesn't play favorites. It sucks no matter who's kid gets captured.

Easy to say as usual, but not so by a long shot. Some men have a natural built in code to protect a woman, or a girl or a child. Civilized men anyway. Are you suggesting Chivalry is dead? I do not think so by a long shot. Not in my world and many others.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:22 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 11):
Sh!t on that. You want to see revolution? ...then let this dysfunctional government try to institute a draft here in the 2010s.

"O ye of little faith" I prefer to think the opposite if the cause is just. It has always been that way in our country and our enemies know this.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:50 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 12):
The only way we'd need a draft is if someone nukes us and takes out some major cities.

You don't think a draft would be brought back if there were a major land war in Europe?

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 13):
Of course you would, but the horrors of capture fall a little more heavy on a woman. Think about it.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think there is much of a difference between my son being buggered or my daughter being buggered.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 14):
Are you suggesting Chivalry is dead?

No, it's not dead, but when someone puts on a uniform, the rules change...it's that simple. If we allow ourselves, on the battlefield, to be governed by our instinct to protect our women, then the enemy gains leverage they didn't have before.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:04 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 16):
I get what you're saying, but I don't think there is much of a difference between my son being buggered or my daughter being buggered.

I have a tough time with that, I am old fashioned in this respect if buggered means what I think it does. I think the odds are against the woman myself.

No, it's not dead, but when someone puts on a uniform, the rules change...it's that simple. If we allow ourselves, on the battlefield, to be governed by our instinct to protect our women, then the enemy gains leverage they didn't have before.

That is why I do not think women in the trench's is a good idea. Support troops like they have been doing mostly is a valuable service, well needed. I seriously question how many women want to be on front line assignments. If they do, I give them all the credit in the world. Now US Rep. Martha McSally grew up here in R.I. and was the first female fighter pilot to fly in combat. I give her credit, a brave woman. I cannot imagine what she would have suffered if shot down and captured in that area of the world.

Boeing717200

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:11 am

You don't think a draft would be brought back if there were a major land war in Europe?

Probably not. People don't have the stomach for it unless we're directly impacted. People are too soft these days.

[Edited 2016-02-03 21:13:10]

fr8mech

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:11 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 17):
If they do, I give them all the credit in the world.

So do I, and to quote you:

I have no problem with it. The word equality comes into play here. They wanted it, they have it If this comes true.

So long as they're in a combat role, no, so long as they're in uniform, we need to treat them just as we treat men in uniform.

WarRI1

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:20 am

Quoting myself above. I have no problem with the draft registration, that is what I meant about equality, but would I want my daughter or granddaughter or anybody's in a combat roll? Hell no.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:26 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 20):
Quoting myself above. I have no problem with the draft registration, that is what I meant about equality, but would I want my daughter or granddaughter or anybody's in a combat roll? Hell no.

War...I don't want my son or anyone's son in combat either. But, that's the job.

seb146

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 9):
It exists because "shit happens" and the military is real good at planning for "shit happens", and the Congress, in a rare act of sense and sensibility decided to look long term instead of the end of their collective noses

Use of force would not last five months, according to

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Donald_Rumsfeld

You know who.

Should women sign up for selective service? Yes. EVERYONE needs to understand there are consequences to actions.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:58 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 15):
"O ye of little faith"

True. I have no such faith in most of the American public, they're (willfully) stupid as all hell.

Insane.

tommy1808

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:11 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 18):

Probably not. People don't have the stomach for it unless we're directly impacted. People are too soft these days.

Any major land war would directly effect them.

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 17):

I have a tough time with that, I am old fashioned in this respect if buggered means what I think it does. I think the odds are against the woman myself.

And I thought you believe in the god that rewards men that volunteer their women and daughters to be raped in place of men, any men, even strangers.....

Best regards
Thomas

MD11Engineer

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 23):

Insane.

Actually not. I have to say that I'm in big favour of a conscription system where everybody has to take part, let it be in the military, civil protection, hospitals and social services. Give one or two years of your life to the community.
No matter if you are rich or poor, educated or stupid. First, it would bring people together, who else would never have met. Secondly it will change some of the "me, me me!" attitude in many people.
And before somebody asks, while as a West Berliner I was excempted from conscription as per Allied Law, I did almost 20 years as volunteer in a heavy engineering rescue unit of the German civil defence (think military engineering troops without the guns). My father, an academic, but also a volunteer, made me join their cadet unit when I was 15, so that I would meet other boys outside the academic circles my family usually moved in.

Of course the benefits of conscription are wasted if it is done like what happened to my cousin in Western Germany during the late 1970s: He got drafted into a Bundeswehr signals unit, but after basic training they effectively wasted their time. He was lucky that he got trained to be a truck driver and had a radio truck to take care of, which gave him something to do, but many of his mates spent the year drinking in their barracks block out of boredom. The best way to demoralize once keen and eager young men.

Jan

JJJ

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:31 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 25):
Of course the benefits of conscription are wasted if it is done like what happened to my cousin in Western Germany during the late 1970s: He got drafted into a Bundeswehr signals unit, but after basic training they effectively wasted their time. He was lucky that he got trained to be a truck driver and had a radio truck to take care of, which gave him something to do, but many of his mates spent the year drinking in their barracks block out of boredom. The best way to demoralize once keen and eager young men.

That's basically what conscription looked like in Spain.

You would lose 24-12-9 months (at the tail end just 3) of your life to learn to march on a parade, shoot maybe 60 rifle rounds if you were lucky, eat bad food, get stupid assignments from corrupt higher-ups (pick up my wife and kids at school, mow my lawn, etc.) and learn all about the finer details of just about every kind of soft drug.

But then, that's what the army was like in the mid 90s around here, a lot has changed and now it could probably be turned into something for good.... provided it was properly funded, so not gonna happen.

Boeing717200

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Insane.

Want that government handout or free education? Earn it.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:18 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 13):

Why you can do nasty stuff to both sex's. if you're talking about rape, men can be raped as well, they just need some gay or gay for pay torturers.

Tugger

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Quoting kiwirob (Reply 28):
Why you can do nasty stuff to both sex's. if you're talking about rape, men can be raped as well, they just need some gay or gay for pay torturers.

However the one huge difference is men can't be forced to carry a baby to term. A lot of nasty things have happened after that.

Tugg

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:39 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 27):

Ah, so taking advantage of the poor just for being poor are we?

Like I said: insane.

mham001

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 30):
Ah, so taking advantage of the poor just for being poor are we?

Like I said: insane.

As an observer, the only person injecting income into the discussion is you.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 31):

Ah yes, because well-to-do people can be coerced with "government handouts or free education"....  

mham001

Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 32):
Ah yes, because well-to-do people can be coerced with "government handouts or free education"....  

I don't know where you are getting all that from this thread. Are you saying rich kids have not benefited from government handouts?

casinterest

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:04 pm

I think all should be registered for Selective service, however I am not sure there is a real need for it. Our all volunteer service is easily filled nowadays. Could you imagine trying to put 25 million 18-24 year olds through a draft, even if it was spread over 5 or 6 years?

Front line service still requires physical requirements to be met, and as such each soldier must be capable of meeting the Service and the Unit fitness bill to maintain it.

There can be other discussions around what we should really do with Selective Service, and volunteering, but at this point the discussion is probably mute, as it hasn't been used.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 33):
I don't know where you are getting all that from this thread.

Reading what's written, perhaps? You should try it.  

Quoting mham001 (Reply 33):
Are you saying rich kids have not benefited from government handouts?

BETTER QUESTION: Are you saying rich kids would be willing to become cannon fodder for such?

mham001

Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 35):
Reading what's written, perhaps? You should try it.  

Like I said, the ONLY person injecting income into the discussion is you.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 35):

BETTER QUESTION: Are you saying rich kids would be willing to become cannon fodder for such?

Irrelevant diversion. Whether they are "willing" or not is an entirely different matter.

The statements were that it would toughen up some people and let them pay for their government assistance. Your apparent claim is that rich kids do not receive any government assistance and thus, are summarily dismissed from any consideration in that statement. I say otherwise, or course they, or their wealth, has received government assistance and would be included in that consideration. A typical kneejerk response to your kneejerk would be to tell you to stop watching Fox News. Do you watch Fox News?

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:18 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 36):
Like I said, the ONLY person injecting income into the discussion is you.

Repeating it isn't going to make your denial any less inaccurate than it was the first time.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 36):
Your apparent claim is that rich kids do not receive any government assistance

**buzz** WRONG!

I never said rich people don't receive government assistance.
I said they won't be coerced (into doing something they don't want to do) by it.

Remember what I just said about actually "reading what's written?"
Hmm, Q.E.D.  

mham001

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 37):
Repeating it isn't going to make your denial any less inaccurate than it was the first time.

Actually, you are the one doing the denying.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 37):
**buzz** WRONG!

I never said rich people don't receive government assistance.
I said they won't be coerced (into doing something they don't want to do) by it.

Remember what I just said about actually "reading what's written?"
Hmm, Q.E.D.  

Oh, I know you have gone to the trouble of trying to change the direction of the discussion when called out but my only point is your kneejerk reaction implying that only the poor are associated with government assistance. You came up with that one all by yourself, nobody else here. Seems you are hearing voices, calling everybody else "insane" is often a bad sign, you might want to look into that.

LAX772LR

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:55 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 38):
Actually, you are the one doing the denying.

I'm denying nothing. There's no one that such a policy could have targeted other than the poor, regardless of your refusal to accept it.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 38):
I know you have gone to the trouble of trying to change the direction of the discussion when called out but my only point is your kneejerk reaction implying that only the poor are associated with government assistance

Again, wrong.

That's just a piss-poor assumption on your part, that you arrived at from not reading what's actually stated. There's no way around that.

In my line of work, I see rich people claim 7-figure show horses as "farm equipment" (and thus use federal subsidies for their acquisition, write off much of their maintenance and transport) all day every day.

So who knows what the likes of you believes you're actually going to "teach" me about rich people taking government handouts, that I don't already know. It happens, it's rampant, and I've made no statement nor implication to the contrary.

My POINT, which has apparently sailed so clearly over your head: is that no amount of government handout/subsidy/benefit is going to coerce people who can afford other options, to basically become cannon fodder.

If you try to tell them that they can't have "X" unless they join the military; they're going to respond by telling you to go screw yourself. Poor people don't have that option, if "X" is something they need.

Thus if you make reception of benefits contingent upon military service, only the poor will be subject to (and IMO, abused by) such tactics. This isn't difficult.

[Edited 2016-02-04 14:24:41]

WarRI1

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:45 am

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 24):
And I thought you believe in the god that rewards men that volunteer their women and daughters to be raped in place of men, any men, even strangers.....

I have not a clue as to the meaning of your statement, please explain.

fr8mech

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:52 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 40):
I have not a clue as to the meaning of your statement, please explain.

Don't feed the troll. He's trying to drag you into an Old Testament theological argument.

DeltaMD90

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:54 am

No, a volunteer force is a good thing. Ever been in a unit with someone that does NOT want to be there? Just one drags everyone down and makes it way more miserable. Multiply that with the draft.

Our military is much much better filled with people that more or less want to be there, trust me. Save the draft/compulsory service for WWIII or Red Dawn

WarRI1

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:54 am

Of course you can, but really how many Gay torturers are there? In the terror world, they toss Gays off buildings. So in the current world of war and prisoners, I hardly think rape will happen to male Western Powers Prisoners. Now women and how they are treated in the normal world of Radical Muslims and even the normal world of Muslims sometimes, a woman is in dire straights right away. Rape as a torture weapon to a fault.

WarRI1

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:56 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 41):
Don't feed the troll. He's trying to drag you into an Old Testament theological argument.

Thanks, not being a Bible person, I had not a clue as to what he was speaking about.

fr8mech

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:00 am

they just need some gay or gay for pay torturers.
Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 43):
Gay torturers

Really? Christ!. Rape is not about sex...it is about power and submission.

You don't need a gay torturer to rape a male POW, you need a sadistic torturer to do that.

WarRI1

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:03 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 45):
You don't need a gay torturer to rape a male POW, you need a sadistic torturer to do that.

I agree, but in the Muslim World? How could this occur? Would you not be a suspected Gay, soon to be thrown of f the roof?

einsteinboricua

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:06 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 27):
Insane.

There are other ways to "earn it", and not necessarily military service.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 31):

Don't mean to bring up income, but you have to wonder if, should a draft ever happen, how would the poor fare against the rich?

Didn't the 2012 election feature Republican candidates that skipped service from wars?

fr8mech

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 46):
I agree, but in the Muslim World? How could this occur? Would you not be a suspected Gay, soon to be thrown of f the roof?

I doubt it.

And, why only the Muslim world? We have troops deployed all around the world.

WarRI1

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 am

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 47):
Didn't the 2012 election feature Republican candidates that skipped service from wars?

Yes, the big guy himself for religious duties lying on the beach in France was in the election in 2008. Viet Nam era. There are many more for sure. Viet Nam, was fought by the poor. Korea, a Senator's son was pulled off a troop ship in Japan on the way to Korea.. He ended up in religious life on TV. 700 club I think. John Wayne himself in WW2.