Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

moo
Topic Author

New Top Gear Presenter Lineup

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:07 am

So the BBC have finally announced the full Top Gear presenter lineup.

We already knew Chris Evans was to front it, and Matt LeBlanc was announced last week, but today the BBC have announced that Sabine Schmitz, Eddie Jordan, Chris Harris and Rory Reid will join as presenters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35548081

Out of all of those, the only one that makes sense to me is Sabine Schmitz.

waterpolodan

RE: New Top Gear Presenter Lineup

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Why wouldn't Chris Harris make sense? He's an excellent presenter and a fairly competent driver...

moo
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:07 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 1):
Why wouldn't Chris Harris make sense? He's an excellent presenter and a fairly competent driver...

And yet not massively well known - I have no idea who he is.

I give this iteration of Top Gear just one season before its cancelled. It looks like they are trying to reposition it back as a motoring show similar to the pre-2002 version of TG - problem is, the massive viewership it enjoyed post-2002 was more based off of the entertainment show aspect rather than the (fairly minimal) motoring content.

Thunderboltdrgn

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

How many had heard of James May or Richard Hammond before they became TG-presenters?
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

moo
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Quoting Thunderboltdrgn (Reply 3):
How many had heard of James May or Richard Hammond before they became TG-presenters?

Both were well known British journalists and radio before they joined Clarkson on Top Gear. Hammond was big on various BBC radio stations, while May had a big motor journalism background going back decades as well as an existing TV career.

Both were each a known entity.

GDB

Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 4):
Both were well known British journalists and radio before they joined Clarkson on Top Gear. Hammond was big on various BBC radio stations, while May had a big motor journalism background going back decades as well as an existing TV career.

Both were each a known entity.

I'd never heard of either of them, granted I don't read car mags or listen to local radio, I suspect that applies to many if not most of the post 2002 TG audience and indeed the country. That's kind of how that re-boot was planned, to go way beyond what the original TG that started in the 1970's ever got in viewing figures.

waterpolodan

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:36 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

He is very well known to a younger generation of car fanatics that get most of their content online. He's had a very successful series of videos on youtube with excellent production quality and millions of views ("Chris Harris on Cars", "/Drive"), and the Drive show was picked up by NBCSN network here in the US. His 3-way test of the Mclaren P1, LaFerrari, and Porsche 918 was one of the best car videos I've ever watched. The man also knows how to powerslide a supercar for the camera.

In my opinion, he's just as entertaining and enthusiastic as Hammond/May/Clarkson, but the real question mark is whether there is any chemistry between the cast members with whatever format the show takes. At least we'll all have the option of sticking with the original 3 on Amazon.

TristarAtLCA

Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 6):
His 3-way test of the Mclaren P1, LaFerrari, and Porsche 918 was one of the best car videos I've ever watched.

+1 on that although, perversely, his 2CV film is one of my favourites and showed how good he was on camera without the sideway action distractions.

He also got banned testing new Ferraris after criticising their highly controlled test days, although he now gets invites. A nod to the importance of video reviews today and his online popularity.

but the real question mark is whether there is any chemistry between the cast members with whatever format the show takes.

I can understand not trying to replicate the three presenter format but six? We'll just have to wait and see how its structured.
If you was right..................I'd agree with you

GrahamHill

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Quoting moo (Thread starter):
We already knew Chris Evans was to front it, and Matt LeBlanc was announced last week, but today the BBC have announced that Sabine Schmitz, Eddie Jordan, Chris Harris and Rory Reid will join as presenters.

That's a lot of people for a show...

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

I know him via his YouTube channel. I agree with Waterpolodan, he's a great presenter and got good driving skills. He certainly makes more sense than Matt LeBlanc.

Quoting moo (Reply 2):
It looks like they are trying to reposition it back as a motoring show similar to the pre-2002 version of TG - problem is, the massive viewership it enjoyed post-2002 was more based off of the entertainment show aspect rather than the (fairly minimal) motoring content.

We all know that Top Gear would never be the same again after the departure of Clarkson, May and Hammond,. The new Top Gear will probably be just a car show like many others. To find something similar (hopefully) to the witty, sarcastic car show that we all enjoyed, we'll have to check Amazon.

By the way, how is this coming along? Any news on their show?
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

jetwet1

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:23 pm

but the real question mark is whether there is any chemistry between the cast members with whatever format the show takes

Or

Will they be given enough time for the chemistry to come between the cast members, remember back to season 1 of the "new" Top Gear, the season with Jason Dawe, that was painful to watch, even with May coming back on Season 2 it took a while for the chemistry to come.

moo
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:42 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 8):
By the way, how is this coming along? Any news on their show?

They started filming location segments a few months ago, and started filming studio segments this week. Seems to be coming on.

winterlight

Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:48 pm

Still using Dunsfold?
Question everything. Trust no-one.

zckls04

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:24 pm

This has the feel of something that has been designed by committee. Just a mishmash of people vaguely connected with driving.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 9):
Or Will they be given enough time for the chemistry to come between the cast members,

How much chemistry can we expect between Eddie Jordan and Matt LeBlanc exactly?  

I can only assume with so many presenters that they won't actually interact much with each other, and it'll be more like "and now, Matt LeBlanc reports on the new Fiat Punto". In other words, like pre-2002 Top Gear.

Quoting moo (Reply 2):
I give this iteration of Top Gear just one season before its cancelled.

The BBC are typically not as prone to cancelling things after one season as, for example, most American networks are. I think they will give it some time to develop. I suspect there will be some lineup changes once they figure out who works and who doesn't.

I just hope all the presenters are braced for the barrage of abuse they're going to receive online. At least Chris Evans is used to it.
Four Granavox Turbines!

moo
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 12):
The BBC are typically not as prone to cancelling things after one season as, for example, most American networks are. I think they will give it some time to develop. I suspect there will be some lineup changes once they figure out who works and who doesn't.

It all depends on how dramatically the viewership figures drop - by all accounts the production budget has risen rather than fallen for this new series, but a massive part of Top Gears saleability is going to be missing in this new lineup.

winterlight

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:03 pm

No Guy Martin as many predicted.

waterpolodan

Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:23 pm

I am dubious about LeBlanc. I know he's an enthusiast, but even as an American it seems odd to have an American hosting a British motoring show. For me, Harris and Sabine will have the greatest appeal because they've both got a lot of charisma and are actually great drivers. Just did some digging and found out that Harris finished 4th overall in the Nurburgring 24 hrs in 2010 in a 911 GT3RS, I can already see a segment with him vs Sabine in slowish cars around the Nordschleife for lap times. That would be epic.

Jordan is probably there for the comic relief, I loved his F1 team but I don't care for him as a TV host. We will see.

Kiwirob

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:08 pm

I don't get hiring her, she's typically deadpan German, she might be an engaging personality in German but in Enlish she's dull as dishwater.

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

I give this iteration of Top Gear just one season before its cancelled.

I think two seasons, then they dump Evans and reformat again.

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 15):
I am dubious about LeBlanc. I know he's an enthusiast, but even as an American it seems odd to have an American hosting a British motoring show.

I think he's a good pick, he's a car guy, can drive pretty well, and has much higher name recognition then any of the others hired.

bhill

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Football....in Mini's..........
Carpe Pices

Dano1977

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:11 pm

Typical BBC efficiency...

3 presenters replaced by 6 presenters
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

lapper

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:57 am

I would imagine that the money saved from not trashinig things as much and blowing stuff up will contribute to the salaries of the extra presenters. I understand that part of Matt LeBlanc's salary is being paid for by BBC Worldwide (not via the TV licence).

Quoting winterlight (Reply 11):
Still using Dunsfold?

Yes.

Thunderboltdrgn

Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:02 am

Quoting Lapper (Reply 19):
I would imagine that the money saved from not trashinig things as
much and blowing stuff up will contribute to the salaries of the extra presenters.

I also think that the new presenters doesn't get paid as much as Clarkson, Hammond and May.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

Redd

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:19 am

And Chris Harris

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

I guess you haven't discovered youtube yet?

moo
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 21):
I guess you haven't discovered youtube yet?

Yes, but I don't class "youtube" in the same vein as broadcast TV, just as I dont class some random blog as the same as a national newspaper.

zkojq

Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:24 pm

Interesting choices that were made:

Chris Evans - why? I found his personality to be rather dull. Isn't he rather expensive too?
Sabine Schmitz - She's a car nut, a great driver and very charismatic so I think she will fit in.
Chris Harris - Fantastic choice. His YouTube videos are fantastic and he is a very good presenter. When he left Autocar many years ago I thought that TG might be replacing Hammond with him.
Eddie Jordan - Another brilliant choice! He has every bit as much personality as Clarkson. Is he any good at driving?
Matt LeBlanc - He doesn't seem to have much of an automotive background, other than being a Lotus guest at a few F1 races. He was the fastest star in the Kia Cee'd though.
Rory Reid - no idea who he is, though the Daily Mail seems to be pretty scathing of him.

Personally, I would just left it at Chris Harris, Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz, maybe adding Jenson Button when he retires from F1.

Having so many presenters would suggest that they plan to change the format somewhat...not necessarily a bad things since the program was getting a bit corny with the previous presenters. Antics such as the Ambulance challenge, the rescuing Hammond off a mountain in the pickup trucks and the stuff they did with SUVs in the final episode was pretty pointless.

He is very well known to a younger generation of car fanatics that get most of their content online. He's had a very successful series of videos on youtube with excellent production quality and millions of views ("Chris Harris on Cars", "/Drive"), and the Drive show was picked up by NBCSN network here in the US.

All his videos are very enjoyable to watch. As a kid I really loved the pieces he wrote for Autocar.

His 3-way test of the Mclaren P1, LaFerrari, and Porsche 918 was one of the best car videos I've ever watched.

Yup; really, really good viewing. I also appreciated that the piece we get to watch is an hour long, not compressed into fifteen/twenty minute chunks like most tv shows would have done.

Link to the video is here for those who haven't yet had the pleasure of viewing it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YPTkBRaOk

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 9):
Will they be given enough time for the chemistry to come between the cast members, remember back to season 1 of the "new" Top Gear, the season with Jason Dawe, that was painful to watch, even with May coming back on Season 2 it took a while for the chemistry to come.

Season one and two were both very awkward.

Quoting winterlight (Reply 14):

Nor Philip Glenister.  
First to fly the 787-9

Redd

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 22):
Yes, but I don't class "youtube" in the same vein as broadcast TV, just as I dont class some random blog as the same as a national newspaper.

Chris Harris is able to get Ferrari, McLaren & Porsche to lend over their flagships (La Ferrari, P1, 918) together for a head to head. Something Clarkson would have a hard time doing. His vids average over 500,000 views with some well over a million.

Nobody under 40 years of age really watches TV or listens to the radio anymore, unless they live under a rock, in a village, one you have never heard of... far....far....away.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YPTkBRaOk

GDB

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 23):
though the Daily Mail seems to be pretty scathing of him.

For rational human beings, that should count as an endorsement!

diverted

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:48 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 24):
Chris Harris is able to get Ferrari, McLaren & Porsche to lend over their flagships (La Ferrari, P1, 918) together for a head to head. Something Clarkson would have a hard time doing. His vids average over 500,000 views with some well over a million.

Nobody under 40 years of age really watches TV or listens to the radio anymore, unless they live under a rock, in a village, one you have never heard of... far....far....away.

When I heard Evans was hosting it, I figured I'd tune in to see the first episode, and never watch anything more. But, Harris is awesome. The guy can drive, he's witty, well versed, and INTERESTING. I think Sabine will be a bit of a bore to be honest. I can appreciate her driving skills, but I think she'd be better in a more formal car show, and something less comedic.

I'd also have rather someone like Matt Farrah to Matt Leblanc, but I'm alright with it. Eddie Jordan will be good for the show.

I'm just left feeling that someone high up felt Evans was "their man" and now they're realizing that "their man" is seriously lacking and they're making up for it with 5 other varied co hosts. Brits, a German, an American. An actor, a driver, a former F1 team owner, and a car journalist, etc.

I'm impressed by Evans' car collection, but he rubs me the wrong way. From the first time I saw him and his Ferrari that May drove a few series back I haven't liked him.

notaxonrotax

Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 24):

That is a far...far.....far stretch.

Radio and TV are very popular among my friends and the younger part of the family.

Quoting moo (Reply 2):

Same here!!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

waterpolodan

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 23):
Personally, I would just left it at Chris Harris, Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz, maybe adding Jenson Button when he retires from F1.

I like this idea a lot. Jenson has a lot of personality and humor when he's not the center of attention. When everyone is asking him about his F1 career or Alonso or the dogshite Honda engine, he has to toe the corporate line and remember his PR lessons. When he's just being himself, he's a very engaging guy.

Obviously his talent and fame will be massively appealing to international and British audiences, but could the BBC afford to have him on their payroll for TG, even if they trimmed the other presenters? Jenson would have to want to do it knowing that he'd earn less than he could for other roles in media, but I hope he will consider it whenever he does leave the sport.

zckls04

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:15 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 24):

A claim only slightly undermined by the fact that Harris was sharing filming that day with Clarkson's new Amazon show.

Quoting Redd (Reply 24):
Quoting notaxonrotax (Reply 27):

It's not a far stretch, it's just complete rubbish. TV still rules, and and even online content almost all originates from TV. Online only content is a growing niche, but still a very small one.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Redd

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Radio and TV are very popular among my friends and the younger part of the family.

See below.

Quoting diverted (Reply 26):
But, Harris is awesome. The guy can drive, he's witty, well versed, and INTERESTING.

I think he has earned a spot on the new Top Gear, I'm just hoping that the other hosts don't let the show completely down.

I definitely agree, the guys is really cool and interesting to watch.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 29):
It's not a far stretch, it's just complete rubbish. TV still rules,

It would seem the numbers disagree with you. TV might not be dead but it is dying. Even networks like HBO are considering going 100% online.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tv-ratings-decline-2015-9

I can't think of a single friend around I have under 50 actually that has had their television hooked up to any cable/satelite subscition. TV content is garbage, online sources let you watch what you want and not be dictated your viewing content. Not to forget that there are far more interesting things to do than stare into a box.

zckls04

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:27 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 30):
It would seem the numbers disagree with you.

Not really. In the US for example, the last 5 years have seen a decline in the percentage of households paying for cable from 87% to 83%.

Hulu for example only has 5% original content. Even Netflix subscribers predomimantly watch content originally shown on TV:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/4...ginal-programming-consumption-usa/

Quoting Redd (Reply 30):
TV content is garbage, online sources let you watch what you want and not be dictated your viewing content. Not to forget that there are far more interesting things to do than stare into a box.

TV content forms the majority of what you watch online. The vast majority in fact, no matter your age group. Online only content is on the increase, but let's not pretend it rules the roost quite yet.

Same here!!

I had never heard of him either, and nor has anybody I know. But that doesn't really matter if he's any good, which by all accounts he is. I'd rather have a good unknown than a well known twat (Evans) or a well known plank of wood (LeBlanc).
Four Granavox Turbines!

diverted

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 30):
I think he has earned a spot on the new Top Gear, I'm just hoping that the other hosts don't let the show completely down.

I definitely agree, the guys is really cool and interesting to watch.

And he's self deprecating as well to a point. Knows how to laugh at himself. Rare these days

Quoting Redd (Reply 30):
It would seem the numbers disagree with you. TV might not be dead but it is dying. Even networks like HBO are considering going 100% online.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tv-ratings-decline-2015-9

I can't think of a single friend around I have under 50 actually that has had their television hooked up to any cable/satelite subscition. TV content is garbage, online sources let you watch what you want and not be dictated your viewing content. Not to forget that there are far more interesting things to do than stare into a box.

I fall into this category. Why the f*$k would I pay money to watch TV shows when the tv channel says I should watch them? My life isn't structured enough to make sure I'm free Wednesdays at 9 for example. I'd rather spend the money on faster interwebs and stream what I want when I want. And when Netflix can offer me a ton of content (though I never seem to be able to find something to watch) for $8 a month, you can be sure I won't even so much as consider paying $30/40/50/whatever on a tv subscription.

cpd

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:08 am

Harris is okay, but I actually prefer the wealthy enthusiast Harry Metcalfe as someone more "ordinary" and less of a big personality.

And he can get to test cars before anyone else... But the key thing is he comes across as down to earth and an enthusiast first, rather than a TV personality.

Hans Stuck could have been a decent presenter too. He is entertaining, always good for an opinion. Excellent driver too.

I have to say, TV shows are something I rarely watch. I don't get time. If I have spare time, it isn't spent sitting on the lounge.

[Edited 2016-02-12 23:11:06]

sturmovik

Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:56 am

I think the number of hosts announced (and the addition of the likes of LeBlanc) is probably an attempt by the BBC to stem the anticipated viewership drop. The new show clearly won't be anything like the old one, yet unfair comparisons will persist, and it will probably undergo a few iterations before they find a format that works, if at all.

However, I think that is going to be true for the Amazon show as well. It'll be funny, and the chemistry will still be there, but it'll be compared unfavourably to the old Top Gear too. If the BBC show happens to suck, it'll matter a bit less to Clarkson & co.
'What's it doing now?'

L-188

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:08 am

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 18):

Sounds like you have the politically correct cast,

Three presenters, and a token female, black and American to round it out.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Redd

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:08 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 33):
Harry Metcalfe as someone more "ordinary" and less of a big personality.

Harry is great, as wealthy & 'aged' as he is he's genuinely excited about cars, down to earth, interesting, very knowledgeable and reviews them very well. He should have been a candidate for the new Top Gear in my opinion.

Quoting diverted (Reply 32):
I fall into this category. Why the f*$k would I pay money to watch TV shows when the tv channel says I should watch them? My life isn't structured enough to make sure I'm free Wednesdays at 9 for example. I'd rather spend the money on faster interwebs and stream what I want when I want. And when Netflix can offer me a ton of content (though I never seem to be able to find something to watch) for $8 a month, you can be sure I won't even so much as consider paying $30/40/50/whatever on a tv subscription.

My sentiments exactly.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 31):
. I'd rather have a good unknown than a well known twat (Evans) or a well known plank of wood (LeBlanc).

I agree there. How did LeBlanc even get to be considered beyond me. I haven't ever seen anything with Evans so I can't comment there.

GDB

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:43 am

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 18):

....or they might just have thought if we are changing the format of the show, then we have to look at everything, original TG had more than three presenters, though it was a differently formatted show too.

Who knows how each of the new TG's will fare? I am rather amused by those, presumably including those berks who signed that petition to save someone who drunkenly assaulted a colleague of 11 years calling him a 'lazy Irish cunt', who think Clarkson will be able to say and do what he likes on his new show.

Amazon will be, if anything, probably more 'PC' than the BBC, who lest we forget gave Clarkson a lot of leeway, you have to wonder if a spell in rehab last year was condition for his prospective employers when they were pitching to people like Amazon and Netflix.

waterpolodan

Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I just watched the Chris Harris test of the 3 hypercars again this morning.

I'm now thinking the 3 guys in the video- Chris, Tiff, and Marino Franchitti, would make a perfect TG lineup. Maybe with Sabine included. They had a nice dynamic together, they're all excellent drivers with bottomless knowledge of automotive history, and they articulate the experience very well. I guess it's ironic that they were sharing track time and presumably hanging out with the "original 3" while at Portimao.

Klaus

Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 38):
I'm now thinking the 3 guys in the video- Chris, Tiff, and Marino Franchitti, would make a perfect TG lineup. Maybe with Sabine included. They had a nice dynamic together, they're all excellent drivers with bottomless knowledge of automotive history, and they articulate the experience very well. I guess it's ironic that they were sharing track time and presumably hanging out with the "original 3" while at Portimao.

I've happened to watch the same thing today based on this discussion, but I'm not quite as impressed.

All in all I was somewhat underwhelmed by what they actually brought to the screen from that great opportunity. It felt a bit thin for what it might have been (okay, at least some of it may have been dure to manufacturer and time restrictions).

And the audio was complete crap – one would have thought that they could have wasted a thought or two on how to record the drivers' voices in those cars under track conditions.

The Top Gear production values have been fantastic for the most part, and I expect that to continue. As for the chemistry between the hosts and the overall concept it's all still up in the air anyway.

1g

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm expecting very good ratings for the first episode... don't have much hope for them on the second episode though.

I do wish them the best of luck in running the Top Gear reboot, but it's going to be very difficult.

The issue is that they are trying to host a car show using the brand of Top Gear. Could these six host a good car show? They obviously can. But could they host a good Top Gear show? That's very difficult. What made Top Gear Top Gear was the original cast; Clarkson, May and Hammond. You remove that and Top Gear isn't really Top Gear anymore.

When people watch Top Gear that's all they'll think about, they will constantly compare the new show with the old show and they will always feel something is 'off' with the new show, it will prevent them from liking the show because they have already built up specific expectations for the show. This applies to every show, you can't just replace the main cast and expect the show to do well.

BBC would have probably fared better if they formally announced that they were ending the show Top Gear and come back a couple of months later to announce a totally new car show. People wouldn't view this show thinking about Top Gear, but as a totally new car show.

BBC's best hope is to run this show long enough to disconnect Top Gear with the original trio in people's minds, so people will start seeing this show without thinking about Clarkson, May and Hammond.

[Edited 2016-02-13 14:08:38]

Klaus

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Quoting 1g (Reply 40):
BBC's best hope is to run this show long enough to disconnect Top Gear with the original trio in people's minds, so people will start seeing this show without thinking about Clarkson, May and Hammond.

That's clearly the plan, and given the huge value of the brand who could blame them for trying?

Whether they can actually pull that off is another question, but we'll have to wait and see.

It wouldn't be the first time that such an attempt had failed completely, but it also wouldn't be the first success of its kind...

notaxonrotax

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Quoting Redd (Reply 30):
See below

Amazing that certain popular shows mainly watched by the youth reach the highest viewer numbers in recent months.

I sincerely appreciate your point of view, I guess it opened my eyes a bit...but I also think that although your ideas may be the way of the future....we're not there just yet.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

cpd

Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:53 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 39):
All in all I was somewhat underwhelmed by what they actually brought to the screen from that great opportunity. It felt a bit thin for what it might have been (okay, at least some of it may have been dure to manufacturer and time restrictions).

What should it have been? More of the presenters making stupid comments and coming up with stupid synonyms for common terms, supposedly to make it easier to understand for "ordinary" people?

That was Clarkson's big failing (and the failing of Top Gear in the end). It just got too silly and far fetched. If the car has 700lb/ft of torque, just say it has that, instead of 700 torques or something else stupid like that. Top Gear needed to get away from the egos of the presenters and a bit more into the cars. They were trying too hard.

And that's a shame, because when you get Clarkson away from his Top Gear act and just have him as the normal Jeremy Clarkson in a semi-journalist manner, he can be absolutely brilliant.

Chris Harris, too, when you get him away from his power-sliding antics and into serious cars (like the XJR-12 Jaguar, or the Porsche 962C) is also brilliant. And I don't see that Top Gear (Clarkson, May or Hammond) ever drove cars like the XJR-12 or the Le Mans winning 1987 962C. The old Top Gear would spend half their time making up "cool" insults about Germany or Porsche, and a maybe a few minutes of driving the car before faking some sort of mechanical issue with it to go with the made up script.

Quoting 1g (Reply 40):
What made Top Gear Top Gear was the original cast; Clarkson, May and Hammond.

You'll find that the original cast was Angela Rippon OBE and the late Tom Coyne. Clarkson was the longest serving of the three you mentioned, but the other two are relative youngsters. But they are far from being the original cast.

Klaus

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:15 am

Quoting cpd (Reply 43):
What should it have been? More of the presenters making stupid comments and coming up with stupid synonyms for common terms, supposedly to make it easier to understand for "ordinary" people?

No. The whole point about getting those three cars together should have been to go a bit more into the individual characteristics of each of them, especially because they're so close together but still so different. Apart from one or two recognizable statements to that effect there was very little of that. If it was just about visual car porn without any information content whatsoever I could just watch the respective company material. Come to think of it, that might actually have been more interesting on the whole...

Quoting cpd (Reply 43):
The old Top Gear would spend half their time making up "cool" insults about Germany or Porsche,

Come on – do you really believe they'd have to work hard on those...?   

Quoting cpd (Reply 43):
and a maybe a few minutes of driving the car before faking some sort of mechanical issue with it to go with the made up script.

Yeah, the scripted bits sort of metastasized a bit too far, even if there was still some entertaining stuff in there, too. I would hope for a bit more content and still good entertainment. Let's see if they can manage that.

zkojq

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:19 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 25):
For rational human beings, that should count as an endorsement!

Indeed. I will wait to see how he does at new TG before judging.

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 28):
Obviously his talent and fame will be massively appealing to international and British audiences, but could the BBC afford to have him on their payroll for TG, even if they trimmed the other presenters?

Getting rid of Chris Evans should solve that.   

Quoting waterpolodan (Reply 28):
Jenson would have to want to do it knowing that he'd earn less than he could for other roles in media, but I hope he will consider it whenever he does leave the sport.

I'd assume that he will continue to do promotional work (and thus receive income) from his various sponsors for a few years to come.

Quoting diverted (Reply 32):
Why the f*$k would I pay money to watch TV shows when the tv channel says I should watch them?

Exactly.

Quoting GDB (Reply 37):
I am rather amused by those, presumably including those berks who signed that petition to save someone who drunkenly assaulted a colleague of 11 years calling him a 'lazy Irish cunt', who think Clarkson will be able to say and do what he likes on his new show.

What happened to personal responsibility for one's actions?

Quoting Klaus (Reply 44):
The whole point about getting those three cars together should have been to go a bit more into the individual characteristics of each of them, especially because they're so close together but still so different. Apart from one or two recognizable statements to that effect there was very little of that. If it was just about visual car porn without any information content whatsoever I could just watch the respective company material.

He has already done videos on each of the vehicles individually. Plenty of technical info there.

McLaren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufVQ-UKZbro

Ferrari:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaAQW8lVaRM

Porsche:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szyUN5GlQ7c
First to fly the 787-9

andz

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Quoting winterlight (Reply 14):

I think speaking comprehensible English is a prerequisite. I'm good with British accents but Guy Martin loses me.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

winterlight

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Quoting andz (Reply 46):
I think speaking comprehensible English is a prerequisite. I'm good with British accents but

True. Even I've had trouble understanding him. Suppose he's happy fixing his trucks.

andz

Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:26 pm

Quoting winterlight (Reply 47):
Suppose he's happy fixing his trucks.

And rocketing round the island, good on him. In a way he is living the dream, regular job by day and superstar a couple of weeks a year.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

1g

Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Quoting cpd (Reply 43):
You'll find that the original cast was Angela Rippon OBE and the late Tom Coyne. Clarkson was the longest serving of the three you mentioned, but the other two are relative youngsters. But they are far from being the original cast.

Yes, I was using the term 'original' a bit too loosely.

I should say it was the reboot of Top Gear with Clarkson, May and Hammond (Minus Jason Dawe   ) was what made Top Gear more popular than ever and became synonymous with Top Gear. It's going to be difficult to replace that.