Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DocLightning

RE: Chest Pains Thread

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:27 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 49):

You know, I typically feel that I'm fairly smart and I know I'm intelligent, then I read the linked Wiki article about these things and am humbled. I'd have to read that thing half a dozen times to get a good feel for it.

You can be very smart and intelligence and yet not know the vocabulary required to understand these articles.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

fr8mech

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:55 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 50):
You can be very smart and intelligence and yet not know the vocabulary required to understand these articles.

You know, that's the big thing...and Wiki makes it so easy to get side-tracked with the hyperlinks, but they are so necessary in an article like that.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:11 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 51):
Wiki makes it so easy to get side-tracked with the hyperlinks, but they are so necessary in an article like that.

Glancing at the article, I felt like another thing that was necessary was a minimum of six years post-secondary education on the subject matter   

Heck, I felt like I needed that just to have a shot at understanding the first two paragraphs (that's all I survived)...
Pancakes are delicious.

DocLightning

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:33 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 52):

Glancing at the article, I felt like another thing that was necessary was a minimum of six years post-secondary education on the subject matter   

Three years and you'd be able to understand all of it. I know because I have five years of post-secondary education on the subject matter.   (Well, not including med school.)
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Pellegrine

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:48 am

Always go to the ER. Second guess the attending and make them do an EKG. Demand it.

I'm 29, but I've encountered enough stupid MDs (and lawyers) to make me question why people laud them so much.

I've had pains in my left chest before, and even at 28 when it was, it freaked me TF out. It turned out to be my chest muscles...sore from lifting weights. Better safe than sorry.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:44 am

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 54):
make them do an EKG

The nurse & EMT got an EKG going on long before the doc showed up. I'm guessing it's S.O.P. for a 40-something male patient complaining of chest pains. (Can no n-docs just up and do an EKG, or does it have to be ordered by an M.D. first?)

I had my headshrinker appointment today. Feel pretty good about the long term.

[Edited 2016-02-19 21:53:04]
Pancakes are delicious.

mandala499

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 20):
Stress is the diagnosis.

First of all... glad you went to check on it...
Second of all... Stress? Let's see...

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 9):
Stress or anxiety or depression could also produce these pains... been there done that... (still recovering)...

I thought it was, and what you wrote showed signs of it, but always better to make sure it's not a real heart issue.

Third... stress causing you to think it's heart issues... welcome to the club!
Fourth...

Quoting Airstud (Reply 20):
(My doc gave me a shrink referral.)

Good! Do it! Don't feel silly about it... it helped me out a lot...

And Fifth...

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 23):
Stress is no joke

INDEED!
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

jetwet1

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:09 am

Quoting Airstud (Reply 55):
Can no n-docs just up and do an EKG, or does it have to be ordered by an M.D. first?

I have no idea if an MD ordered behind the scenes, but a nurse grabbed me, walked me back to the ER, sat me down and started an EKG, no DR in sight, only after seeing the first result did he get a DR, well 2 actually.

DocLightning

Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:06 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 57):

I have no idea if an MD ordered behind the scenes, but a nurse grabbed me, walked me back to the ER, sat me down and started an EKG, no DR in sight, only after seeing the first result did he get a DR, well 2 actually.

In many hospitals a nurse can order an EKG based on clinical protocols.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:18 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 58):
In many hospitals a nurse can order an EKG

What about a BLT?

HA!!

Oh, I am just GOLD this week...   
Pancakes are delicious.

BigOrange

Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:58 am

I had similar pains last year and after looking online I self diagnosed as having costochondritis. I just took Aleve every night and it went away.

One day it got real bad and my colleague insisted I call the doctor. I told the receptionist what the problem was, she asked me a few questions and then put me on hold. She came back and told me to come in that afternoon.

They gave me an ECG and the doctor asked a few questions then told me he had no clue what was wrong, but given that I am diabetic told me to go to the ER.

Got to the ER and they did EKG chest x-rays etc. then the cardiologist came in and said it wasn't my heart. I told her my self diagnosis theory and she agreed. The ER doctor gave me a prescription for anti-inflammatories and sent me home.

The pain never got better so I called my doctor again after a few days because I was concerned about the amount of anti-inflamatories plus Aleve I was takingl She told me to stop the anti-inflamtories and prescribed Tramadol.

It took about 2 months for the pain to go away completely but the doctor said it could return on and off forever

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:31 am

I had my 2nd appointment with the shrink today and I've decided I'm not going back. Not to that shrink anyway.

I had occasion to mention that I enjoy architecture (a trait of mine that my mom nailed me to the wall for, which is why I brought it up) and this mere mention of architecture set the guy to talking about Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall in downtown L.A. and how there was so much reflectivity from the building's silvery roof and exterior walls that it actually reflected sunlight parabolically into nearby condominiums in ways that sent their air-conditioning costs sky-rocketing... (listen, listen, listen, glance at the clock, listen...) eventually they had to consult with Gehry and his design team in order to "re-design" (read: sand down) the silvery stuff. "But boy, Gehry must have found that difficult, as a designer..."

(Incidentally, the prologue to this story included the shrink (who, if I haven't made this apparent, seems just about ready for retirement) asking me, "What's the place in California... kids...? That place for kids, in California..." "You don't mean Disneyland, do you?" I asked - not believing that's a name any modern American would have trouble recalling. "Disneyland. Yes, well who founded Disneyland?" A.net, he was actually asking. "I believe it was Walt Disney himself," I told him, evincing a touch of incredulity. "Yes, well Disney's heirs gave a lot of money for Los Angeles to build a new... performing arts center...")

(See, if we pretend for a moment that any shred of this story of his had any place whatsoever in my 50 minute session, we would still be able to say it should've started with "Frank Gehry designed a concert hall for Los Angeles..." rather than going back to him having to ask me "What's the place in California for kids?")

There were at least three other such digressions in the course of the session, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it proved true that I got to talk for less than 20% of the time. When I have benefited from therapy (and I've been in therapy on and off over several chapters in my life and always gotten a lot out of it), it has been from being listened to. I really just want a human being to listen to whatever my Kvetch of the Month is... I can sit on my apartment floor and recite my kvetches out loud to whichever spirits, saints, angels, paroled devils, gods, demigods, departed souls, or neighbors' pets happen to be listening, but for some reason the burden doesn't really go away - I'll recite the same kvetch day after day after day - until I share it with another human being; and somehow that kinda makes the burden go poof.   

This shrink ain't in to listening, plus I have to get up early and drive to Plymouth to see him, so... feh.

But I'm not sure where to go from here... I hate calling my insurance company and asking them about coverage because their customer service/member service just plain stinks; staffed by $14/hr temps I bet (I know because back in my CIGNA days I was one of them  ) with barely a high school education and a hit-and-miss chance of them grasping what my question actually is.

Historically I would just blow this sort of thing off; but I have to remind myself this "manage your stress" business has already put me in the emergency room once...
Pancakes are delicious.

AAlaxfan

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Go back to the doctor that originally referred you to this shrink and ask to be referred to another. Tell them why.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Quoting aalaxfan (Reply 62):

Go back to the doctor that originally referred you to this shrink and ask to be referred to another. Tell them why.

Distill matters to their simple core and leave me without an excuse, will you...   
Pancakes are delicious.