Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seb146

RE: Picking A New Scotus Justice

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Quoting nonrevman (Reply 147):
If I were a Republican senator, I would at least hold the hearings and bring it to a vote.

They won't. Some moderate Republican Senators would love a vote, but probably will not get it. Because, you know: Obama.

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 142):
You doubled down on my point quite nicely

What? That people who work too hard for things like food and rent should not vote or people who work too hard for things like food and rent do not deserve the time to vote?

727LOVER

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:48 pm

I;m listening to this windbag Mitch McConnell right now...what a tool.

MD11Engineer

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:48 pm

ID card question:

What are the usual opening hours for an ID card issuing department?
Here every community larger than a a village has at least one "citizen office", usually located in the town hal, where aplications for ID cards (mandatory here), passports, business registrations and registrations of residencies (mandatory) are take care of. They usually have at least one day a week when they areopen until 6 pm. to allow for people working normal business hours to do their business.

Jan

zckls04

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:54 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 150):
What? That people who work too hard for things like food and rent should not vote or people who work too hard for things like food and rent do not deserve the time to vote?

Try reading with your sarcasm-detection hat on and you might be more enlightened.

zckls04

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 149):

Just read that Garland is vehemently against individual gun ownership period. Which explains why Obama picked him IMO, and I don't think GOP senators will confirm him based on that.

Depends- if they're smart they will realize they're about to lose the Presidential election, and Clinton's picks are likely to be a lot more liberal than Obama's.

Adipasquale

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 152):
Here every community larger than a a village has at least one "citizen office", usually located in the town hal, where aplications for ID cards (mandatory here), passports, business registrations and registrations of residencies (mandatory) are take care of. They usually have at least one day a week when they areopen until 6 pm. to allow for people working normal business hours to do their business.

DMVs here in the US, especially in poor areas suck. You usually have to wait a really long time to deal with a disgruntled government employee. I personally dread going to the DMV to renew my license.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 152):

It will vary greatly by state. In AZ the MVDs are open M-F 8-5. You can also get an ID from a 3rd party vender, which they have listed on the MVD website. Most tend to be vehicle services and title places, and the hours are similar, but some are open later. I'll add that any renewals/replacements that people may have can be done over the phone or online. I'm not sure about the new IDs, but the old ones that AZ issued don't expire until you are 65.

In 2004 AZ passes prop 200 to require proof of citizenship to register to vote, but that was struck down by the Supreme Court. To vote you need pretty much any ID that has your name, it doesn't even need to have a photo.

[Edited 2016-03-16 09:12:46]

Osubuckeyes

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 154):
Depends- if they're smart they will realize they're about to lose the Presidential election, and Clinton's picks are likely to be a lot more liberal than Obama's

Which is mind boggling why they came out with this strategy in the first place.

casinterest

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:27 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 157):
Which is mind boggling why they came out with this strategy in the first place.

It's a good chance to highlight how incompetent the GOP really is in an election year. They can't get a candidate that they like, and they sure can't run congress very well.

All in all it is a likely win for the democrats in the fall in the White House and the Senate.

Remember 65 % of the public thinks the Senate should do it's job and hold hearings on the nominee.

zckls04

Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:40 pm

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 131):
BS. They resist even when free IDs are offered.

IDs are never free. There's always a cost to getting them. You can't just say "I want an ID please"- you need some proof that you are who you say you are. That proof generally costs money. And both cost time away from work, since government institutions generally only open during the week, usually for about 10 minutes on a Wednesday morning.

The vast majority of citizens (including Democrats) support voter ID requirements.

That's one of those ones which is dependent on how you ask the question.

Their has to be a reason why the Democratic Party and other liberal groups oppose voter ID so ferociously - and the only reason I can think of is that they can cheat.

It's come up often enough on these forums. Can't imagine how you missed it....

The main reasons Democrats are against voter ID is as follows:

1) There is no evidence to show in-person voter fraud is a particularly serious problem.
2) In person voter fraud has a very high penalty and a very low upside (1 vote), which supports empirically the theory that it is rare.
3) Republicans have repeatedly admitted their push for voter ID laws is aimed at reducing Democratic turnout
4) Republicans never mention mail-in voter fraud, where we DO know significant voter fraud occurs. This is because reducing mail-in voting would disadvantage the GOP.
5) In principle, putting barriers in the way of voting when they are unnecessary is a very dangerous precedent.

agill

Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:58 pm

American politics really just gets stranger and stranger.

Ken777

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:05 pm

Apparently, Mr. Garland is not perceived as a "liberal" justice in the same sense as Obama's last two picks

That is one of the ironic parts of this nomination. Mr. Garland was promoted to the point in the AG's office that he supervised the investigation of the Unabomber and Tim McVey (the American Super Terrorist). The Unabomber is in a cage until he dies and McVey got the Jesus Juice. A prosecutor with those successes doesn't seem too liberal to me.

Refusing to acknowledge the nomination will lead to disaster in November for the GOP.

When you look at the leader in the GOP primaries a USSC related disaster really won't matter in November, I would say, however, that the GOP does not need the voters irritated with the GOP in November and this game of the GOP will certainly be an irritation for Independent voters.

Just read that Garland is vehemently against individual gun ownership period.

Is that his personal opinion (probably) or something he has allowed into his rulings? After a classmate in the 5th grade out his older brother to a "gun that wasn't loaded" I am not a supporter of guns everywhere - especially homes where kids live. In terms of the Second Amendment, I fully understand that there is a core right to own a gun, even though I don't believe that the right should include some automatic weapons. I also understand that our frequent "Second Amendment Events" are part of the price the people of this country pay for this Amendment. It;s really shame that often little kids pay this price with their lives, but that is also what the Second Amendment is about in the US these days.

bhill

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 159):
4) Republicans never mention mail-in voter fraud, where we DO know significant voter fraud occurs. This is because reducing mail-in voting would disadvantage the GOP.

Can you please prove this statement? If what you say is true, Washington State would be a basket case...

coolian2

Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:37 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 150):
Quoting zckls04 (Reply 153):
Try reading with your sarcasm-detection hat on and you might be more enlightened.

Thank you!

Depends- if they're smart they will realize they're about to lose the Presidential election, and Clinton's picks are likely to be a lot more liberal than Obama's.

Honestly, if Obama told Republicans to NOT jump off a bridge, they'd take the plunge to spite him.

DocLightning

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Honestly, if Obama told Republicans to NOT jump off a bridge, they'd take the plunge to spite him. [/quote]
I honestly wonder why he hasn't used reverse psychology more.

Tugger

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 162):
Can you please prove this statement? If what you say is true, Washington State would be a basket case...

One of my biggest issue with mail in ballots is that they are not "private", they cannot be guaranteed to be private. In my case I know people (my mother being one) who vote for their spouse. One friend has done so for years. I truly have issues with that.

The only way to guarantee a safe private vote is to have it in public in a private booth.

I also very much disagree with electronic voting. Give me a piece of paper with a "x" on it any day (and a serialized number). The work to falsify in any real scale that is enormous.

Tugg

seb146

Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 165):
The only way to guarantee a safe private vote is to have it in public in a private booth.

Not even that works. Recall that many precincts in poor and Black neighborhoods have long lines to vote. Some who want to vote could not, either because time was up or because "your name is too similar to a felon and you are off the voter rolls" with no advance notice to take care of the situation.

dragon-wings

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:46 pm

And when Clinton does make a pick the republicans will fight it. They had their chance with this Obama pick any they blew it. They can't compromise on anything!

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:06 am

but then a lot of people wouldn't be able to vote and that's not right. I done ballot voting for years because of my work so many times i missed out on voting because i wasn't in my state.

I really like looking at the ballot and taking my time to vote. If there is a issue i'm not familiar with, i can study up on it and vote.

in person, if i don't know the issue. i leave it blank, but i think some people will just vote without being informed.
anyway, when i mail my ballot the outside envelope has to have a notary sign it. I do that at my bank. If it's not signed then my ballot is tossed. Not all states are like this. My bank doesn't charge me, but if i was a non customer they would charge me anywhere from 5 to 10 dollars. That could be a hardship for seniors on a tight budget

[Edited 2016-03-16 17:14:25]

Adipasquale

Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:25 am

But that would deprive me of my right to vote. I am away at college, and just received my absentee ballot for the NY primary in the mail today. If I had to show up in my precinct to vote on Tuesday, April 19, I would not be able to cast my vote..
One of my biggest issue with mail in ballots is that they are not "private", they cannot be guaranteed to be private. In my case I know people (my mother being one) who vote for their spouse. One friend has done so for years. I truly have issues with that.

They used to let me into the voting booth with my mom or dad when I was little, so in that case, their votes were not exactly secret. Somebody filling out the ballot for their spouse is in the same line. If people are married, they likely discuss their political views with each other all the time. It should not be a reason to do away with absentee ballots.

zckls04

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:33 am

seb146

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:06 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 170):
There's tons more- just google.

The first two links are to stories from the 1990s, the third is a candidate committing voter fraud and the fourth is easily fixed by a voter purge well in advance of an election.

Still does not say how vote by mail is the worst thing ever.

But, there is this:

http://deadstate.org/florida-poll-wo...m-that-it-was-for-gop-voters-only/

zckls04

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 171):
The first two links are to stories from the 1990s, the third is a candidate committing voter fraud and the fourth is easily fixed by a voter purge well in advance of an election.

Still does not say how vote by mail is the worst thing ever.

Why would I suggest it was the "worst thing ever"? That would be a nonsensical thing to say.

seb146

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:45 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 172):
Why would I suggest it was the "worst thing ever"? That would be a nonsensical thing to say
Quoting zckls04 (Reply 170):
If what you say is true, Washington State would be a basket case...

There.

Tugger

Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 168):
but then a lot of people wouldn't be able to vote and that's not right. I done ballot voting for years because of my work so many times i missed out on voting because i wasn't in my state.

Never said it should be the only option. I understand there are situations where it is valid and needed. But the "lets have everyone do it" idea is not healthy in my mind for a strong democracy.

I really like looking at the ballot and taking my time to vote. If there is a issue I'm not familiar with, i can study up on it and vote.

So do I. And I get the voter pamphlet mailed to my house and I can spend a lot of time researching different issues if needed. I even premark my ballot, but then am free to do whatever once in the voting booth.

anyway, when i mail my ballot the outside envelope has to have a notary sign it.

I have never heard of this before. Do they have to witness you placing the ballot into the envelope?

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 169):
But that would deprive me of my right to vote. I am away at college, and just received my absentee ballot for the NY primary in the mail today. If I had to show up in my precinct to vote on Tuesday, April 19, I would not be able to cast my vote..

As I said above, I understand that mail-in is sometimes the only option. But in my mind it should be for specific situations (such as yours)

Quoting adipasquale (Reply 169):
They used to let me into the voting booth with my mom or dad when I was little, so in that case, their votes were not exactly secret. Somebody filling out the ballot for their spouse is in the same line. If people are married, they likely discuss their political views with each other all the time. It should not be a reason to do away with absentee ballots.

Well your kid in the booth with you does not in any way have the same impact as "family voting" that people sometimes do at home. And even if you discuss and agree on things at home, once in the voting booth that person is free to vote however they wish. And they can say whatever they want to their spouse (or parents) to avoid conflict etc. The key thing is the element of privacy in the final moment gives people the true freedom to vote how they truly wish, free from outside influences. It is why we have private votes.

I ultimately do not know how my wife votes and I am very happy about that. We are each free to vote our conscience.

So sure vote by mail for some situations, but private voting in a public space otherwise.

Tugg

D L X
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:19 pm

What the flip happened to this thread!?

Planned parenthood?
Voter ID?

Geebus. Way to stay on topic.

Just read that Garland is vehemently against individual gun ownership period.

Please provide the link.

zckls04

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 173):
There.

Your posts are just nonsense these days. You can't even manage to quote the right poster.

seb146

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 175):
What the flip happened to this thread!?

Planned parenthood?
Voter ID?

Geebus. Way to stay on topic.

Because the right honestly and truly believes (because they have been told by TV) that illegals and felons will get to vote and that abortions will be mandatory if a "liberal" is appointed to the Supreme Court.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 176):
Your posts are just nonsense these days. You can't even manage to quote the right poster.

I see different posters making opposing statements. If I seem nonsensical, it is posters who are confusing me!

MSPNWA

Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Please provide the link.

Try Google.

Apparently he tried his best to keep the D.C. gun ban in place. Clearly he doesn't respect the Constitution. He should be a non-starter candidate.

DocLightning

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:01 pm

So my question for Mr. McConnell is:

If you are still Senate Majority Leader after the election and Mrs. Clinton is President, will you allow her to nominate justices? Or will you find a different excuse?

IADCA

Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 178):
Apparently he tried his best to keep the D.C. gun ban in place. Clearly he doesn't respect the Constitution. He should be a non-starter candidate.

He was apparently in favor of granting a petition for rehearing en banc at the Circuit level of the Parker case before it went to the Supreme Court. In this he was joined by at least one of the D.C. Circuit's conservative judges. When that case, with its companions, reached the Supreme Court, it resulted in a 5-4 decision, meaning 4 extremely experienced jurists saw it a different way from the majority 5. That suggests a difficult and important issue, one that might indeed have been been appropriate for an en banc hearing.

It's perhaps valid to ask him if he would vote to overturn the Supreme Court case now that it's settled precedent, but the fact that he was on one side of a lower court ruling on a petition for rehearing en banc - not even a merits decision! - that pre-dated the Supreme Court's holding does not mean he "doesn't respect the Constitution." If your standard for "respect the Constitution" means "never wanted to grant a petition for rehearing," then there are probably literally zero qualified judges of any ideological bent anywhere on any Court of Appeals.

[Edited 2016-03-17 11:07:29]

CPH-R

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:00 pm

That's an awful lot to take away from a case where he didn't even comment on the merits.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2010/04/th...ial-nomination-of-merrick-garland/

Tugger

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Clearly he doesn't respect the Constitution.

How so?

Tugg

einsteinboricua

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 179):
If you are still Senate Majority Leader after the election and Mrs. Clinton is President, will you allow her to nominate justices? Or will you find a different excuse?

"The American people elected a Republican Senate for the next Congress which means a mandate to stop the president from pursuing a leftist agenda. The American people spoke clearly and said they do not want another liberal in the US Supreme Court. It is the duty of this Senate to carry out that will and we will oppose any nominees until a more reasonable alternative emerges or until the midterm elections."

Who wishes to make a bet?

coolian2

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:45 pm

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/16/470664..._term=nprnews&utm_content=20160316

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell vowed again Wednesday to block President Obama's Supreme Court nomination, saying the American people should have a "voice" in the process.

Mitch, they did have a voice. You know, when they elected Obama. Twice.

These guys seem to believe that once elected, you no longer need to do your job.

D L X
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:12 pm

Please provide the link.

Try Google.

No, if one is going to say what they read, they should provide the link to what they read.

Why is that hard?

How do you reach that amazing conclusion? This is why you should cite the sources, so we can have an idea of where you're coming from.

Quoting IADCA (Reply 180):
He was apparently in favor of granting a petition for rehearing en banc at the Circuit level of the Parker case before it went to the Supreme Court. In this he was joined by at least one of the D.C. Circuit's conservative judges. When that case, with its companions, reached the Supreme Court, it resulted in a 5-4 decision, meaning 4 extremely experienced jurists saw it a different way from the majority 5. That suggests a difficult and important issue, one that might indeed have been been appropriate for an en banc hearing.

I think that is WAY too much nuance and WAY too much fact for people who only get their info from cable news and ideologue blogs.

seb146

Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 183):
The American people elected a Republican Senate for the next Congress which means a mandate to stop the president from pursuing a leftist agenda.

This block of Republicans are using the president as an excuse not to do their job and wait until a far right winger is in power. Because, you know: only Democrats legislate from the bench. Every single Republican out there is fair and balanced and would never legislate from the bench. /sarcasm

Ken777

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:55 pm

The American people spoke clearly and said they do not want another liberal in the US Supreme Court. It is the duty of this Senate to carry out that will and we will oppose any nominees until a more reasonable alternative emerges or until the midterm elections."

One thing I will say about McConnell is that he can BS better than most politicians in DC. As Don Meredith used to say, the guy is slicker than a wet waterman seed.

Who wishes to make a bet?

If the bet is that his position hips the Democrats take control of the Senate in the 2016 Election then I might take some of that.

zckls04

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:40 am

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 57):
Political posturing bullshit. I guarantee if Obama sends a nominee, it will be considered, and there will be hearings, and there will be a vote. You can take that to the bank.
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 64):
Yes, I think if Obama sends a remotely reasonable candidate, he will be considered.
Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 72):
And you believe something coming from the mouth of a politician.

Right now it's not looking all that great.

Mir

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:10 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 188):
Right now it's not looking all that great.

Already the excuses have started to come. "We'd consider a reasonable nominee, but he's anti-2nd Amendment!" (despite him never having ruled on the 2nd Amendment). "We'd consider a reasonable nominee, but he's pro-abortion!" (despite him never having ruled on abortion). "If the next president were to nominate him I'd gladly consider him!" (well if you deem him worthy of consideration then, why not now?). Orrin Hatch, who would never be confused for a liberal, just last week said he wanted Obama to nominate not just someone like Merrick Garland, but for him nominate Merrick Garland himself. Well, Obama did just that.

The Republican party is embarrassing itself and the country over this. They need to suck it up, stop whining, and get their people in the Senate to do their job.

-Mir

seb146

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:19 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 189):
They need to suck it up, stop whining, and get their people in the Senate to do their job.

Two problems with that:

1. Only 1/3 of the Senate is up for election at a time.
2. The far right wing "tea party" faction refuses to work with Obama and then turns around and blames Obama for not doing exactly what they want.

L-188

Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 am

Just read that Garland is vehemently against individual gun ownership period. Which explains why Obama picked him IMO, and I don't think GOP senators will confirm him based on that.

I agree, considering the other two worthless jurists that he has nominated, it is a short trip to say that this guy is going to be equally worthless and a threat to the people of this country and their rights.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 161):
Tim McVey (the American Super Terrorist).

Your giving him too much credit there. 1 act pony is not a super-terrorist.

Obama should have been a non-president, but here we are, 7.5 years of American suffering and watching their rights being eroded away later.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 179):

Hopefully the senate will be held by the republicans and they will being proper investigations of the criminal activites that this administration, including Clinton while she was there took part in.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 182):

Clearly he doesn't respect the Constitution.

How so?

He was nominated by Obama, it isn't a long trip to say that indicates that he won't have any respect for the Constitution because Obama won't have nominated him if he did.

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 189):
"We'd consider a reasonable nominee, but he's anti-2nd Amendment!"

WTF does "anti-2nd Amendment" even mean?

One can be opposed to someone's warped interpretation of a text. No judge is simply against applying the law period.

Such a canard that gets repeated so frequently. Wake up, sheep!

Case in point:

Quoting L-188 (Reply 191):
He was nominated by Obama, it isn't a long trip to say that indicates that he won't have any respect for the Constitution because Obama won't have nominated him if he did.

Quoting Mir (Reply 189):
The Republican party is embarrassing itself and the country over this.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 161):
Tim McVey (the American Super Terrorist).

Your giving him too much credit there. 1 act pony is not a super-terrorist.

189 dead Americans would disagree.

Your colors are really showing on this one.

Osubuckeyes

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Please provide the link.
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...gitmo-among-his-more-controversial

Originally, it came out that he was super anti-gun based on a case that he voted to rehear. It is interesting that he voted to rehear such a controversial topic, and a sweeping individual gun ban, but he is not known as a judicial activist so I'll walk back my statement that he is anti-gun. However, I will stand by my point that the GOP/NRA will use this to paint him anti-gun even though that is debatable.

seb146

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:03 pm

rights being eroded away later.

I keep hearing this over and over again but with zero proof. Where are the armed bands of troops kicking in doors and confiscating guns? Where are the FEMA camps for all the anti-Obama people? Where and when have rights been eroded?

He was nominated by Obama

And Roberts was nominated by Bush. Therefore, it is not a big stretch that Roberts would vote to ban all gay marriages and abortions.

Same logic.

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 193):
I will stand by my point that the GOP/NRA will use this to paint him anti-gun even though that is debatable.

And they will do it using second grade words and logic and that will get people whipped up into a frenzy.

D L X
Topic Author

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:19 pm

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...gitmo-among-his-more-controversial

Danke!

Originally, it came out that he was super anti-gun based on a case that he voted to rehear

It may seem like a minor nit, but it's actually a pretty important one: he did not vote to rehear it, but rather, voted to rehear the case en banc. The DC Circuit has 17 judges, 11 active and 6 senior (semi-retired). Parker (the precursor to Heller) was decided by a panel of 3. Often, when a case arises of particularly significant importance, the judges on a circuit will vote to hear the case en banc, meaning before all the active judges, instead of letting a randomly drawn panel of 3 decide.

I would conclude, as you seem to have as well, that seeing Garland vote for en banc review is not particularly insightful as to his view on the issue. More insightful is that a Republican nominee on the panel opinion dissented in that case.

Mir

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Originally, it came out that he was super anti-gun based on a case that he voted to rehear. It is interesting that he voted to rehear such a controversial topic, and a sweeping individual gun ban, but he is not known as a judicial activist so I'll walk back my statement that he is anti-gun.

Remember that existing Supreme Court precedent at the time was that the DC handgun ban was legal, and that the DC circuit court's decision (which he was not a part of) was contrary to that precedent. Wanting to rehear such a case en banc is certainly not unusual and makes a lot more sense than wanting to rehear a case en banc that was in line with existing precedent.

He was not the only justice to vote for such a rehearing either, a conservative justice did so as well.

However, I will stand by my point that the GOP/NRA will use this to paint him anti-gun even though that is debatable.

They already have, but I'm really not sure what they're expecting. But that just shows their paranoia.

-Mir

Tugger

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:58 pm

This is the type of "radicalization" that has occurred with some people. We see it with terrorists who deny any other version of "truth" than their own and kill people for it. And we see it in weak arguments like this as well, with someone putting their fingers in their ears and saying "lah lah lah lah lah, I can't hear you anything you say is wrong lah lah lah lah....." and making unsupportable statements that have no credence or backing. These people will not her you and deny anything they don't want.

It is sad and it is damaging the Republican party (as the primary home to most "conservative" and "anti-establishment" voters). What we now have is two isolated broken extreme halves in contention for the nomination. And it is directly affecting the SCOTUS selection process as they have declared all who not agree to be null and void with no right to input. And that is completely contrary to what the founding fathers intended.

So much for Constitutional integrity.

Tugg

[Edited 2016-03-18 10:19:59]

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 190):
Two problems with that:

1. Only 1/3 of the Senate is up for election at a time.

And only 2/3s of states vote in each Senate election so for example: Illinois voters back in 2010 may have been upset with Obama but by electing Kirk, they have to live with their decision until 2016. So was voting for Kirk a vote of protest or did they really find Kirk more appealing than his Democratic challenger? Considering that IL leans blue, I'd argue for the former.

DocLightning

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:25 pm

Obama should have been a non-president, but here we are, 7.5 years of American suffering and watching their rights being eroded away later.

Please enumerate a right that has been eroded. Just one.

Please enumerate how you are "suffering."

I'm sick of this gaslighting. If having a low unemployment rate, freedom to own so many guns that your own toddler can shoot you in the back while you drive, a Republican-written healthcare law, and my marriage are making you "suffer," then get the hell out of my country.