kngkyle
Topic Author

USA Election Thread - Part 2

Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:57 pm

Please continue the discussion here.

Part 1: The Official (Consolidated!) USA Election Thread (by LAX772LR Feb 1 2016 in Non Aviation)

727LOVER

RE: USA Election Thread - Part 2

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:08 pm

The New Yorker is satire, correct????
This can't be real.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...ump-derailed-by-obamas-endorsement
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

kngkyle
Topic Author

Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:22 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 1):
This can't be real.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...ump-derailed-by-obamas-endorsement

The first line:

"WASHINGTON (Satire from The Borowitz Report)—Adding a new wrinkle "

DocLightning

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:21 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 1):
This can't be real.

The New Yorker is a high-brow humor magazine. Andy Borowitz is a famous satirist. And this article is an example of his brilliance.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

rahulrahul

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:54 am

Also, watching Donald Trump insult New Jersey right in front of his new supporter Chris Christie was priceless. I think the Donald was testing Chris Christie's loyalty and temperament as a future Attorney General.
A300/319/320/321/332/333/343/346 B732/738/744/752/762/763/772/773 CRJ200/700/900 ERJ140/145/170/175 MD88

alberchico

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:27 am

Quoting rahulrahul (Reply 4):

Also, watching Donald Trump insult New Jersey right in front of his new supporter Chris Christie was priceless. I think the Donald was testing Chris Christie's loyalty and temperament as a future Attorney General.

Well he already had this awkward moment with Christie :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4y5mPGz8sI
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

CaliAtenza

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:07 am

Chris Krispie (or as like to call him, the Fat Bastard) has sold his soul to the Drumph machine. He's part of the Borg now. Trump could say NJ is full of hookers and drug dealers and it wouldn't matter.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:12 pm

Also, watching Donald Trump insult New Jersey right in front of his new supporter Chris Christie was priceless.

You can tell Christie was uncomfortable. His face was saying "what have I gotten myself into? When will it end?"
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

LMP737

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 7):
You can tell Christie was uncomfortable. His face was saying "what have I gotten myself into? When will it end?"

You shall reap what you sow. In related news Senator Jeff Sessions just endorsed Trump. As with Christe I'm not very surprised.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 8):
In related news Senator Jeff Sessions just endorsed Trump.

This didn't surprise me one bit, especially with all of Trump's rhetoric.

bmacleod

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Hillary is halfway to clinching the nomination - big question can she overcome the "trust and caring" factors that Sanders supporters say she lacks?

http://www.cnn.com/election/primaries/parties/democrat

Gov. Kasich is still in...when will he bow out?

[Edited 2016-03-02 06:28:52]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

MaverickM11

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:30 pm

From the previous thread...

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
Again, don't make the mistake of calling him incompetent. Incompetent men do not accomplish what he has accomplished in the last 8 or 9 months. His brilliance is in creating that illusion.

I don't know where you're seeing this competence or brilliance. Trump has always been a one trick combination pigeon-airhorn-youtube comment section; he just happens to be resonating with voters now, where he hasn't in prior runs. He's the equivalent of the proverbial clock being right twice a day. Even on the business side, at the very best he's mediocre. At worst his mouth writes checks he can't cash, and he has his a$$ handed to him. There is no strategy, planning, forethought, or anything other than ad-lib speeches until the voters stop listening. I'm sure you've seen the John Oliver clip which is a good summary of what a pile of contradictory nonsense Trump is, but if not, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 8):
You shall reap what you sow. In related news Senator Jeff Sessions just endorsed Trump.

Ha a tepid disavowal of the KKK is good enough as outright approval for Sessions 
E pur si muove -Galileo

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 10):
Hillary is halfway to clinching the nomination - big question can she overcome the "trust and caring" factors that Sanders supporters say she lacks?

If the FBI decides to not indict, then that would be a huge boost in her favor. The whining on the GOP side would just serve to prove that the whole email scandal is just a search for something that's not there.

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 10):
when will he bow out?

He said if he lost Ohio. So Kasich has two more weeks to go. That being said, the damage is done and has already cost Rubio votes. Not that I mind  

bmacleod

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:21 pm

One thing we Canadians are concerned is will next President ignore us or pay little attention to us.

Best example George W Bush - whose advisers/staff seemed to know very little about Canada. Some reportedly had to look on a map to find out where Canada was located.

Bill Clinton has visited Canada many times and likewise Hillary always has had Canada in "high regards"

Donald Trump has a hotel in Toronto - other than that he's a mystery to us.

[Edited 2016-03-02 10:27:01]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

casinterest

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:45 pm

It's a bad day in US politics. People around here are basically saying of the two front runners. "I hate both of them , but I will probably have to vote for ......."
Where ever you go, there you are.

Airontario

Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 13):
Donald Trump has a hotel in Toronto - other than that he's a mystery to us.

A hotel/condo building that is what 5 years old (?), and already crumbling with windows falling and shattering on a fairly regular basis.

On the other hand, it looks like with Trumps victory last night immigration to Canada may see a bump.

http://www.bustle.com/articles/14539...ump-wins-super-tuesday-coincidence

Okie

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Clairvoyant are we?

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 12):
If the FBI decides to not indict, then that would be a huge boost in her favor. The whining on the GOP side would just serve to prove that the whole email scandal is just a search for something that's not there.

Discounting a few thousand security problems might be overlooked relating to the classification of some of the emails.

The big issue is jumping the SAP gap to her server. That is absolutely serious you cannot just cut and paste. Clinton has thrown herself into her own Oubliette on those.
Clinton has pushed Obama/Lynch into a lose-lose situation. The question is which route will cause the least damage.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):Again, don't make the mistake of calling him incompetent. Incompetent men do not accomplish what he has accomplished in the last 8 or 9 months. His brilliance is in creating that illusion.

I am with Doc

Okie

wingman

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Donald Drumpf, that is awesome, John Oliver at the peak of his powers. I'll be getting myself that t-shirt.

Hillary is going to destroy this guy via incessant sound bite ads making the guy look like the most monumental jackass in US Presidential Election history. And she'll come out looking truthier than Honest Abe in comparison.

It's gonna be a great summer folks.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:23 pm

Looks like Carson will be suspending his campaign this week.

ltbewr

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Yes, Christie is looking bad with Trump. A group of newspapers in NJ have called for Christie to resign or face recall/impeachment due to his support of Trump as well as neglecting his duties as Governor chasing after the R's Presidential nomination and other activities. I don't know why Trump would want have around one of the most hated, corrupt and arrogant politicians from NJ.

It does appear Carson is phasing out his campaign, he will not appear at the R's debate in Detroit tomorrow night. I wonder if Kaisch will drop out if does poorly in the 3/15 primaries.

Mitt Romney will be making an announcement at to the campaign tomorrow as well. That could mean 1) running for the nomination, 2) Pledging support for one of the other R's but Trump, 3) throwing out some nasty dirt on Trump (taxes, business dealings, etc) as has previously suggested.

While Cruz and Rubio got a small break from the run up of Trump, they are still way behind.

HR Clinton keeps on getting stronger, Sanders is not gaining enough, only getting votes in states with mostly White D's.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:54 pm

Agreed. Trump brilliance is in creating an illusion, he is now a politican just like Hillary. I don't trust either

Osubuckeyes

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 19):
That could mean 1) running for the nomination, 2) Pledging support for one of the other R's but Trump, 3) throwing out some nasty dirt on Trump (taxes, business dealings, etc) as has previously suggested.

Possibly #1 due to the Republicans have no real shot at beating Trump in the nomination other than preventing him to hit that 1237 threshold and going into a contested convention. Most likely #2 throwing his support behind a Rubio/Kasich type ticket or nomination (though I'm not sure how much an endorsement would really do). I don't think it would be #3 just based on the way it is being reported as a major announcement/press conf.

While Cruz and Rubio got a small break from the run up of Trump, they are still way behind.

They barely prevented Trump from all but locking up the nom. Cruz was expected to win TX, but Rubio in MN, and Cruz in OK were a bit of a surprise. The trend is still that Trump is only getting about 34% of the aggregate vote and tends to end up where polls indicate, while Rubio and Cruz are getting a majority of support from late deciders and end up out performing their polling by 2-5%.

HR Clinton keeps on getting stronger, Sanders is not gaining enough, only getting votes in states with mostly White D's.

HRC has pretty much got it locked up. Bernie couldn't lose Mass and he did. FL, MI, and OH all look like they will go to Clinton fairly easily. The delegate math just isn't there for Bernie. He would have to seriously outperform polling from here on out to even make it a ballgame, and that is something he hasn't really done up to this point.

flyingturtle

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:00 pm

3) throwing out some nasty dirt on Trump (taxes, business dealings, etc) as has previously suggested.
Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 21):
I don't think it would be #3 just based on the way it is being reported as a major announcement/press conf.

You don't need a huge brain to foresee how the Trump supporters will perceive any shocking revelation... they'll see it as a smear attack perpetrated by the crusty, old GOP establishment. Everybody who is against Trump is just somebody who hates him. You would have to credibly paint him as a abolisher of the 2nd Amendment, or as something like a child molester, to have an effect.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Ken777

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:04 pm

If the FBI decides to not indict, then that would be a huge boost in her favor.

The FBI is going to be exceptionally cautious because the State IG is a known Clinton Hater who unsuccessfully went after a Clinton associate. Basically the guy looks like a GOP lapdog who will push for an indictment after Clinton wins the nomination. Can we say an October surprise?

He said if he lost Ohio. So Kasich has two more weeks to go.

I'd like Kasich to stay in just in case there is a broken convention. Traditional Republicans hate Cruz and consider him a slime ball. Rubio is facing being outed and is less popular than Cruz.

Quoting Okie (Reply 16):
Clinton has pushed Obama/Lynch into a lose-lose situation.

I believe that they are aware of the his risk that the emails are a long term GOP game and are more than n a little careful. I doubt that both will refuse to let it go forward, but will start an investigation by the FBI on the efforts to classify emails as a political act.

Mitt Romney will be making an announcement at to the campaign tomorrow as well.

Romney obviously wants another chance at the Presidency, especially if he can avoid the battles in the primaries. He looked hungry when he started hitting Trump on the tax returns. A Romney nomination obviously gets Trump running as a 3rd party candidate and he will be pulling a lot of voters with him.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 23):
The FBI is going to be exceptionally cautious because

The FBI is going to be exceptionally cautious, because if they are going to recommend indictment they better have a rock solid case. Cases that the FBI recommends to indict have a 94% conviction rate.

I'd like Kasich to stay in just in case there is a broken convention.

He will likely be pushed to stay in by establishment backers either through funding or ad money as the only way to stop Trump now is pretty much a contested convention... Not sure what a broken convention is...

Romney obviously wants another chance at the Presidency, especially if he can avoid the battles in the primaries. He looked hungry when he started hitting Trump on the tax returns. A Romney nomination obviously gets Trump running as a 3rd party candidate and he will be pulling a lot of voters with him.

I think if Romney wanted another shot at the presidency he would have run. Most likely he endorses Rubio/Kasich while denouncing Trump. Trump running as a 3rd party isn't necessarily a death wish for the Republicans. Obviously it would make it much more difficult, but record turnouts suggest that Trump isn't just pulling from the traditional Republican primary voter. Additionally, his 3rd party run could equally hinder the Dems chance at the WH if he wins enough states that no majority of electoral votes are won.

einsteinboricua

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Quoting Okie (Reply 16):

Clairvoyant are we?

When a person is crying, you know they're sad. When a person is laughing, you know they're happy. When a person is serious and quiet when they usually aren't and have a face that's not natural, something is wrong. It's not clairvoyance; it's visual perception. The whole world is abuzz on how Christie didn't look too comfortable standing next to the guy he had thrashed-talk back when he was a candidate.

Ken777

Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:49 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 24):
because if they are going to recommend indictment they better have a rock solid case.

If that was the case the indictment would have already been made so the public would have no consideration that it is politically motivated. As it is now the FBI could take serious hits from an indictment, with it seen as a political act. That is far from their interests.

Reality is that State would be forced by any trial judge to make public various emails, especially those considered CONFIDENTIAL, in order for the Defense to have Discovery. That would be sufficient to show what games are being played.

Quoting Osubbuckeyes (Reply 24):
Additionally, his 3rd party run could equally hinder the Dems chance at the WH if he wins enough states that no majority of electoral votes are won.

His 3rd party would pull his voters from the GOP. Based on his performance so far he would far outperform Nader, which would b sufficient to put Clinton in the White House.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:10 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 26):
If that was the case the indictment would have already been made so the public would have no consideration that it is politically motivated. As it is now the FBI could take serious hits from an indictment, with it seen as a political act. That is far from their interests.

Reality is that State would be forced by any trial judge to make public various emails, especially those considered CONFIDENTIAL, in order for the Defense to have Discovery. That would be sufficient to show what games are being played.

Your first statement makes no sense. The only way a recommendation for indictment would be public is if there is a leak, the DOJ decides to move forward, or Administration resigns in protest. The FBI would take serious hits if they recommend to indict without a solid case, and they do not care if the case has political connotations or not they are a law enforcement agency. If you believe the FBI responds directly to the whims of politicians you should read up on the current administration of the FBI.

I highly doubt anything that is classified secret or top secret would be made public without being significantly/completely redacted... A simple google search produced this... https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18a/2000004-

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 26):
His 3rd party would pull his voters from the GOP. Based on his performance so far he would far outperform Nader, which would b sufficient to put Clinton in the White House.

Based on turnout and the data we have right now a Trump running as a an Ind. doesn't give HRC a lock on the WH. Turnout on both sides indicates that things may be interesting in a general. I would agree that it would more likely hurt the Republicans more than Dems, but nothing is a forgone conclusion with Trump.

N867DA

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:18 pm

Lindsay Graham has come out vehemently anti-Trump to the point of complimenting Ted Cruz...and that tells you how scared the Republicans are of Donald Trump. Mr. Trump is basically a Democrat in Republican's clothing and he's managed to fool some of the most conservative states in the country. I don't think I've watched a party convention without a presumptive nominee going in, but it looks like I may get my wish this year.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

wingman

Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 28):
Mr. Trump is basically a Democrat in Republican's clothing and he's managed to fool some of the most conservative states in the country.

I don't think that's quite right. You've got the entire Republican machine going batshit crazy trying to warn their own voters off of Trump, for nearly 6 months now and to no avail. The problem is that the GOP and Fox News created this nearly psychopathic fringe wing of the party with their incessant bleating about Christmas, and Mexicans, and guns, and Muslims, and triple cheeseburgers, blah blah blah to the point where the brainless portion of the GOP base started walking in lock-step looking for a hero. And the choice came down to Trump and Cruz, and TED CRUZ is the mainstream alternative!! The guy is an avowed Judeo-Christian warrior that wants to carpet bomb the Middle East. This is a complete and total debacle of the GOP's own making. They played with fire for eight years and now the house is burning down.

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:02 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 16):
I am with Doc
Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 20):
Trump brilliance is in creating an illusion

You guys are confusing "brilliance" with "resonating with voters". Trump is creating nothing: he IS an illusion, always has been. He's "brilliant" like the human garbage on Duck Dynasty is, or the Kardashians, but I'd say any of those people are far more brilliant than Trump.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 22):
You don't need a huge brain to foresee how the Trump supporters will perceive any shocking revelation... they'll see it as a smear attack perpetrated by the crusty, old GOP establishment.

They've been trained well. Although even I got whiplash from how fast the christians fell in line behind Drumpf. God has personally blessed a lot of candidates in the GOP, but apparently only had eyez 4 the One! 

If the GOP thinks any candidate with a reasonable resume is going to do anything but split the vote and make things worse for them, they're dumber than I thought. I have no idea how you undo this. #thoughtsnprayers
E pur si muove -Galileo

777Jet

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:17 am

If Trump eventually gets enough delegates but doesn't get the Republican nomination then the GOP can fear what he could do to any election hopes they have if he runs as an Independent. I would not put running as an Independent past The Donald if that played out. He could destroy the GOP from the inside with the nomination, or from the outside without it. That race would be exciting to watch regardless of what side of politics I support.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

ltbewr

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 am

Quoting 777Jet (Reply 31):
If Trump eventually gets enough delegates but doesn't get the Republican nomination then the GOP can fear what he could do to any election hopes they have if he runs as an Independent

If Trump ended up as an Independent, it would likely split the R's votes and the Democrat, most likely HRC, would win with well less than half the general vote, but ending up with a clear majority of the electoral college vote. If Trump was a 3rd Party candidate, the Republicans might fare better in Congressional, Senate and State level races and keep seats.

Short of Trump having an untimely death or serious illness or something really shocking it would drive him from the race he is likely going to be the nominee assuming he has the delegate numbers in the end. If there are any dirty, back room deals done even if has the majority of delegates, then there would likely be a battle in court and in the public forums that would make the 2000-2001 Bush v. Gore fight over the Florida ballots look like a schoolyard fight.

What has happened this year with the Presidential races proves to me that we need major changes, possibly Constitutional amendments, to assure fairer, shorter, and less expensive Presidential primary/Caucus system.

777Jet

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 32):
If Trump ended up as an Independent, it would likely split the R's votes and the Democrat, most likely HRC, would win with well less than half the general vote, but ending up with a clear majority of the electoral college vote.

As long as HRC is allowed to run, IMHO it is her election to lose.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

DocLightning

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:36 am

My understanding is that the FBI has said that they are not investigating her as a suspect, but rather as a victim of cybercrime.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):

I don't know where you're seeing this competence or brilliance.

Well, yesterday's results where he almost swept all of super Tuesday would be one example. Again, stupid men do not pull off such stunts.

And the fact that you think he's an idiot means he's fooled you, too.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Okie

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
My understanding is that the FBI has said that they are not investigating her as a suspect, but rather as a victim of cybercrime.

Ha Ha the victim card. Why not.            

Okie

WarRI1

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:19 am

If Trump eventually gets enough delegates but doesn't get the Republican nomination then the GOP can fear what he could do to any election hopes they have if he runs as an Independent. I would not put running as an Independent past The Donald if that played out. He could destroy the GOP from the inside with the nomination, or from the outside without it. That race would be exciting to watch regardless of what side of politics I support.

If this happens, would it not be a hoot if he ran as a candidate from the Whig Party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whig_Party_(United_States)
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:52 am

If you have a source that would be interesting... As far has I have seen they haven't really said what in particular they're investigating. Also, if that were true then she almost certainly committed a crime by mishandling classified information on an insecure server... But it seems now that the doj is granting immunity so something interesting is going on. But as the Zen master says "We'll see...". http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/02/politi...rver-justice-department/index.html

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:25 am

I think he was being sarcastic.

Ken777

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 am

He could destroy the GOP from the inside with the nomination

Under really hurt the Democrats in 2000 (and left the country with Bush's Failed Years) and they were able to recover for the 2008 election in a really big way. The GOP would survive and might actually become better if they come back with the Right Wing Nuts in the Tea Party.

Now that's interesting. Might put some pressure on those trying to make things look bad.

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 37):
Also, if that were true then she almost certainly committed a crime by mishandling classified information on an insecure server

Or holding unclassified emails on her serve that were later reclassified via political mischief. Remember that Clinton as SecState has the authority to classify or not classify communications and documents.

Aesma

Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:06 am

By the way, what's that face Hillary is always doing, is it natural or ?

It's a bit scary.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

flyingturtle

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:35 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 40):
By the way, what's that face Hillary is always doing, is it natural or ?

It is scary. I'm the person who rather votes for (or against) a candidates' deeds and thoughts, but not for or against how the person looks. With her person, it's very hard to not vote against her behaviour as a hyperactive chicken on dinitrogen monoxide.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

einsteinboricua

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:58 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 32):
If Trump was a 3rd Party candidate, the Republicans might fare better in Congressional, Senate and State level races and keep seats.

I don't know about that. Too many have endorsed Trump so they're already associated with him even if he goes 3rd party. Besides, let's assume they give Cruz the nod...I don't know about you, but if the election will end up with a GOP president, I'd rather Trump be president than Cruz if it comes down to those two.

Ken777

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 40):
It's a bit scary.

Actually it looks to me that she just saw someone he know in the audience and was surprised and delighted.

Now, if we were to have a photography contest on candidates "unique" moments we would be seeing faces that would keep us all rolling on the floor.

DocLightning

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 37):

If you have a source that would be interesting...
http://thehill.com/policy/national-s...d-with-clinton-email-investigation

The recent development with immunity is odd. The FBI is being very tight-lipped about what, exactly, they are investigating.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Okie

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 44):
The recent development with immunity is odd

Please tell me you can not be that naïve.

It is pretty common practice to offer underlings immunity from prosecution for testimony when working their way up the hierarchy of a criminal investigation.
Pagliano, Clinton's Aide, took the 5th right off the bat. Obviously an effort to bargain for immunity for his testimony.

The FBI appears to be looking farther up the food chain so to speak.

Okie

ER757

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:40 am

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 36):
If this happens, would it not be a hoot if he ran as a candidate from the Whig Party.

In Trump's case, I think it would be the "Wig" Party  

Ken777

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:48 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 45):
It is pretty common practice to offer underlings immunity from prosecution for testimony when working their way up the hierarchy of a criminal investigation.

It's also useful when trying to close up an investigation. This guy might be one of the last boxes to check to tie uptake investigation and it is in the interests of the FBI to close it well before the conventions. Failure to end soon will be a black mark if they move during the electoral season.

Quoting Okie (Reply 45):
The FBI appears to be looking farther up the food chain so to speak.

Or closing up loose ends. They have a chance to get some bits of information and tie that information to other bits they had pulled from other folks, Not huge deal IMO as the FBI has had time to mature their investigation and would have moved on Clinton before the Primaries if they saw anything. Right now there might be others, outside of Clinton's group who will be getting a letter from the FBI to discuss their participation in areas covered by the investigation.

WarRI1

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:55 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 46):
In Trump's case, I think it would be the "Wig" Party

Very good, either way he is enemy number 1 to the Republican establishment. A threat to their control of the process. This is very good to me.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Okie

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:13 am

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 47):
It's also useful when trying to close up an investigation. This guy might be one of the last boxes to check to tie uptake investigation and it is in the interests of the FBI to close it well before the conventions

Not sure what the FBI has to do with political conventions.
However, there has to be a Grand Jury seated for the judge to issue immunity from my little understanding (I used Google).
That would indicate that the case is already in process of being presented to a Grand Jury.
Then it would be up to the Grand Jury to provide an indictment.

That would seem pretty contradictory to some of the White House press secretary and Loretta Lynch recent comments.
I would have no doubt that the DOJ would not somehow be involved with the Grand Jury presentation.
Interesting indeed.

You have been around longer than me but the only legacy that I know of for Gerald Ford was pardoning Nixon.
Interesting if Obama's legacy ends up being defined by Hillary Clinton.

Okie