Aesma

RE: USA Election Thread - Part 2

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:43 am

Didn't Obama also stop any investigation into W's deeds ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

DocLightning

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:56 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 45):

It is pretty common practice to offer underlings immunity from prosecution for testimony when working their way up the hierarchy of a criminal investigation.
Pagliano, Clinton's Aide, took the 5th right off the bat. Obviously an effort to bargain for immunity for his testimony.

Yes, but that is not the only possible or even likely reason. I am not saying what it is or what it isn't. I'm just going with the information I have available, which isn't much. But others are leaping to conclusions here.

Maybe she's guilty. She's not my preferred candidate, anyway.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:09 am

Well, that was an entertaining debate.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Boeing717200

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:07 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 44):

I'm not sure that's what the article is saying. He supposedly quoted someone else, but it doesn't appear there is any context associated with it.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

777Jet

Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:29 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 40):
By the way, what's that face Hillary is always doing, is it natural or ?

No, she learned from Monica Lewinsky how to open her mouth like that for big Bill!  
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

flyingturtle

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:18 pm

This can get really interesting. Mitt Romney's speech against Trump was well-done - but the gaping and obvious hole in his speech was that he lauded Trump in 2012 as an excellent economical expert when accepting his endorsement. Now he's slamming him as somebody who leads America into an abyss.

Now - if the GOP wants to save America, they have to lose the election. If the GOP wants to walk out without a blame, they need to find a way to exclude Trump from the primaries, or find a way to exclude him from nomination.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...y_weapon_against_donald_trump.html

The GOP sorely needs to re-invent itself and make itself a credible alternative to both the wealthy (to which the GOP has always been pandering to, with promised tax cuts etc.) and Trump.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

einsteinboricua

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 55):
Mitt Romney's speech against Trump was well-done

Pot, meet kettle. So many arguments he threw against Trump while conveniently omitting that he also supported several policies that Trump does.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 52):
Well, that was an entertaining debate.

What I find interesting is that pundits say he lost, yet look at polls on websites and he's winning. So either pundits are biased or people simply DGAF so long as they hear their keywords.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DocLightning

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 56):

What I find interesting is that pundits say he lost, yet look at polls on websites and he's winning. So either pundits are biased or people simply DGAF so long as they hear their keywords.

Who is losing and who is winning, anyway? What does it mean to win a debate? That and $3.75 will get you a cup of coffee.

There was quite literally the closest thing I've ever seen to a dick measuring contest on that stage. These men are running for President.

I'm an atheist, but... God save us all.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 34):
Well, yesterday's results where he almost swept all of super Tuesday would be one example. Again, stupid men do not pull off such stunts.

Sure they do. W did in 2000. You're inferring something where there is none. If Trump was so brilliant, why didn't he get further in his previous runs? Trump has not (ever) changed; why now?

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 39):
The GOP would survive and might actually become better if they come back with the Right Wing Nuts in the Tea Party.

After the 2008 loss to Obama, that wing of the party concluded they lost because they weren't conservative enough, which is why we are talking about frontrunner Cruz today  
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 55):
Mitt Romney's speech against Trump was well-done - but the gaping and obvious hole in his speech was that he lauded Trump in 2012 as an excellent economical expert when accepting his endorsement. Now he's slamming him as somebody who leads America into an abyss.

Darn lamestream media recording everything on the magic box! Curses! The establishment tries to take down the anti establishment candidate, with predictably disastrous results. Imagine that. I honestly don't know what would turn off Trump's supporters at this point, other than Trump starting to sound rational and calling for reasonable policies.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Osubuckeyes

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 58):
If Trump was so brilliant, why didn't he get further in his previous runs? Trump has not (ever) changed; why now?

1. This campaign there is nonstop wall to wall media coverage of him. (though you previously disagreed that this impacted his support)

2. The electorate is already divided between "RINOs" and Tea Party groups so there isn't united support within the party, hence the 16 candidates or whatever that were originally running.

3. Timing is everything. Trump saw the turmoil within the Republican party, saw what they were putting up and decided that against a weak litany of candidates the GOP will be divided enough for him to get some support.

I do believe that had Romney run again there wouldn't have been 16 different candidates, maybe 5-8, and I don't believe that Trump would have run as support from the establishment would have already been generally unified under Romney as opposed to Bush who had no chance simply because of his last name.

Osubuckeyes

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:06 pm

I read an interesting bit on another forum regarding the implications of a Trump Independent run. Many states have deadlines to get put on the ballot, but those deadlines frequently fall before the primary will be over. So in places like TX where the deadline is in May, Trump would have to register as an Ind. on the ticket before the full results of the primary if it plays out into the later states, which there is a decent chance of that.

Second part was that if Trump indeed does make a Ind run the Republicans have a pretty good chance at sweeping the down ticket as most (not all), but most Trump supporters would vote R all the way down. With turnout the way it is in the Republican primaries so far there's a chance that a Trump Ind run would result in potentially sacrificing the presidency, but at the same time winning yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge down the ticket.

wingman

Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Last night the GOP debate had the front runner refer to the size of his cock on national television. If this goes on much longer we might see Megyn Kelley get up on stage and ask the candidates to drop trou so she can take the measurements. I can almost hear her now.."gentlemen, only the biggest dick can represent our party".

mt99

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen..

There you have it The GOP

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2016/03/04/daily-202-last-night-s-debate-was-a-disaster-for-the-republican-brand/56d8fb8c981b92a22d67e91a/
Step into my office, baby

MaverickM11

Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 59):
1. This campaign there is nonstop wall to wall media coverage of him. (though you previously disagreed that this impacted his support)

I didn't disagree; I just wondered what else the media is supposed to cover, snoozefest Carson? Viewers would turn off in droves. And how much of a role can the media play when Trump is winning races with 20+ point spreads. It's always easy to blame the media, but now we are blaming the media for too much coverage, when as far as I can tell the coverage is almost entirely negative, and Trump isn't missing a beat.

3. Timing is everything. Trump saw the turmoil within the Republican party, saw what they were putting up and decided that against a weak litany of candidates the GOP will be divided enough for him to get some support.

I will grant that he's the consequence of excellent timing, but that's also true for Cruz. There's just no evidence that there was any judicious strategy behind it, beyond hey my yapping is drawing more applause than normal...

I do believe that had Romney run again there wouldn't have been 16 different candidates, maybe 5-8, and I don't believe that Trump would have run as support from the establishment would have already been generally unified under Romney as opposed to Bush who had no chance simply because of his last name.

I think the GOP thought they had their Romney in Jeb.

[Edited 2016-03-04 09:00:10]
E pur si muove -Galileo

Ken777

Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 60):
if Trump indeed does make a Ind run the Republicans have a pretty good chance at sweeping the down ticket as most (not all), but most Trump supporters would vote R all the way down. With turnout the way it is in the Republican primaries so far there's a chance that a Trump Ind run would result in potentially sacrificing the presidency, but at the same time winning yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge down the ticket.

Or traditional GOP voters will vote for Trump and realize that they don't need to vote "R" for the other Republicans on the ticket. They might be mad enough with the GOP that they vote D for the rest of the candidates. A lot of Democrats and Independents voted R when the Tea Party was fresh. Hopefully it is time to get the Tea Party out of theGOP and let the GOP return to a respectful level of traditional politics.

Osubuckeyes

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 63):
It's always easy to blame the media, but now we are blaming the media for too much coverage, when as far as I can tell the coverage is almost entirely negative, and Trump isn't missing a beat.

I don't think its too different than the NFL (as an organization) or FIFA using a comparison to the sports world. Lots of lies, corruption, and general incompetence that is covered in a significant way, but any publicity is good publicity. People usually have a strong reaction either hate/love FIFA or the NFL, which is very similar to Trump and they all have one thing in common the medias attention pretty much whenever they want.

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 63):
I think the GOP thought they had their Romney in Jeb.

I think they did too and I think timing was everything for him. Basically when he announced the whole country reacted with "uh oh we are gonna have another Bush or Clinton" insert Cruz, Rubio, Sanders etc... GOP made a major mistake betting big early on Jeb with no real evidence that he would be a strong candidate.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 64):
Or traditional GOP voters will vote for Trump and realize that they don't need to vote "R" for the other Republicans on the ticket. They might be mad enough with the GOP that they vote D for the rest of the candidates. A lot of Democrats and Independents voted R when the Tea Party was fresh. Hopefully it is time to get the Tea Party out of theGOP and let the GOP return to a respectful level of traditional politics.

Kent, please re-read this statement and ask yourself why this situation would ever play out. It doesn't make sense, it defies logic, and it isn't consistent with turnout data that we have currently. Additionally, if you have evidence the Dems were voting for Tea Party candidates that would be great, but I don't think you do because they didn't. The Tea Party meant heavy turnout for Republicans combined with Dems generally turn out less in mid-terms.

casinterest

Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:08 pm

Last night was hopefully a good wakeup for the GOP. There are too many people in the GOP so mad at Government that they are willing to put people in charge that have no idea what happens in Government.

Cruz: Stands his ideological ground and doesn't compromise: Not good for a President.
Rubio: Wants to lead so bad, but takes his queues from handlers: Not good for a President
Trump: Loud Bombastic, and a "Deal Maker" The last part is good for a President, but the first 2 are not
Kasich: Probably the most ideal presidential candidate of the bunch, but has been far too quiet for far too long.

The GOP is being driven by the angry, and the angry do not always think things through very far. Trump is not an ideal candidate and will suffer more and more as policy comes to the forefront as we head closer to the election.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aaron747

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Quoting Okie (Reply 49):

It has happened more than Ford covering Nixon and Obama for GWB. Let's not forget that GHWB pardoned six key people in the absurd Iran-Contra affair before their trials in 1992. What a dipshit.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

bmacleod

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Good possibility this years' RNC convention could be a lot like the DNC in Chicago 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aeNJljuZcI

You have the GOP establishment against the Trump delegation and Cruz delegation.

[Edited 2016-03-06 09:35:11]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

DocLightning

Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 58):

Sure they do. W did in 2000.

George W. Bush played stupid on TV because (this isn't a dig; this is fact), he knew that the average GOP voter viewed the smart intellectual with extreme suspicion and preferred a candidate with whom they could identify.

I never met him in person, but I have some close friends who worked with him both before and during his Presidency and the story they tell me is very different. They speak of a very articulate man with a memory like a steel trap. One of them was at a lunch with him where one person present at the meeting asked a very long-winded, multi-part question lasting 5 minutes and Mr. Bush listened attentively and then proceeded to launch into a ten minute answer in which he hit every single one of the man's questions. He is a voracious reader, as well (although Mr. Clinton is far notorious for his appetite for books).

On TV he was prone to mispronunciations ("Nookyulur") and exaggerated a Texas drawl he did not actually have. Again, he knew that to attract the GOP voter, being an intellectual from Yale was not going to work.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 66):
Rubio: Wants to lead so bad, but takes his queues from handlers: Not good for a President

In and of itself, this is not a bad thing. A President who is willing to listen to and follow recommendations from his advisers who are far more learned in various topics than he is makes a good leader. Certainly, if I were President, I would make sure I had leading economists to advise me on economic issues and I'd take their counsel unless there was some compelling reason to do otherwise. I have no formal education in economics. Know-it-alls make poor leaders.

But Mr. Rubio has many other issues that make him a poor choice, like his belief that America should continue to be a pseudo-feudalist culture in which people literally die in the streets of treatable diseases. On a personal level, he wants me forcibly divorced. That's a difficult position to "respectfully disagree" with. There are many reasons why I think he would be bad ju-ju for America.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:38 am

I am watching the Democratic debate. Looking back on the GOP debate, in which there was literally a verbal dick-measuring contest on TV (I was flabbergasted).

Tonight's debate looks like a graduate-level symposium by contrast.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

casinterest

Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 69):

A President who is willing to listen to and follow recommendations from his advisers who are far more learned in various topics than he is makes a good leader

Yes, but I am not talking about advisors. I am talking about handlers. Rubio's whole tone in this primary is being dictated by folks that want him to walk and talk like a duck, and then walk and talk like a lion. He can't be both, while trying to win a primary.
Where ever you go, there you are.

flyingturtle

Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:35 pm

For us Europeans, is there a way to watch the debates/dick comparisons online? I can watch CNN for sure... but no ABC, no CBS...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Osubuckeyes

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:08 pm

So this weekend was a bit interesting. Bernie has a big weekend in terms of number of states he won, but only cut 4 delegates into Clinton's lead. It seems that the clock is ticking on Bernie and the huge margins that Clinton is running up among African Americans will likely lose Bern the primary.

Trump didn't have a great weekend. He continues to lose primary day voters and late deciders, but continues to crush in early voting. Silver lining for Trump is that he is still on track to win the nom. Cruz seems to have emerged as the anti-Trump candidate having a huge day saturday, but it still remains an uphill batlle as he would have to makeup ground in states that he is unlikely to win demographically. Rubio's campaign was a disaster, and there should be questions whether he should remain in the race (I think he will stay), but there is an increasing probability that he will lose FL his home state. I think Rubio is better served going back to the Senate and trying again in 2020. Kasich had a decent showing, and is really putting all his eggs in the Ohio basket, which it definitely looks like he can/will win there, but not sure where he goes after that.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 72):
For us Europeans, is there a way to watch the debates/dick comparisons online? I can watch CNN for sure... but no ABC, no CBS...

The dick measuring debate was on Fox news. Here's the schedule and networks

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/debates/schedule/

DocLightning

Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 73):

Trump didn't have a great weekend. He continues to lose primary day voters and late deciders, but continues to crush in early voting. Silver lining for Trump is that he is still on track to win the nom. Cruz seems to have emerged as the anti-Trump candidate having a huge day saturday, but it still remains an uphill batlle as he would have to makeup ground in states that he is unlikely to win demographically. Rubio's campaign was a disaster, and there should be questions whether he should remain in the race (I think he will stay), but there is an increasing probability that he will lose FL his home state. I think Rubio is better served going back to the Senate and trying again in 2020. Kasich had a decent showing, and is really putting all his eggs in the Ohio basket, which it definitely looks like he can/will win there, but not sure where he goes after that.

So multiple reports today (I'm at work, so I can't post links) that Mr. Romney has filed FEC paperwork and will planning a run. Exactly how he plans to do this so late... I dunno. Ideas?
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Osubuckeyes

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:13 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 74):

I'm not sure he would make the ballot many states as the deadline has passed I believe. If he can get on some he might have an impact, but I think if there were a contested convention he would be the guy. Unless he is planning on an independent/3rd party run.

DocLightning

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 75):

I'm not sure he would make the ballot many states as the deadline has passed I believe. If he can get on some he might have an impact, but I think if there were a contested convention he would be the guy. Unless he is planning on an independent/3rd party run.

That's my thinking. And I guess he denied that he was running for President, but...
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:11 pm

No Bloomberg candidacy.

Quoting AFP:

#BREAKING Michael Bloomberg says he will not run for White House
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

DocLightning

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:37 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 76):

That's my thinking. And I guess he denied that he was running for President, but...

Turns out he filed last month. Might have been a "just in case."
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

Osubuckeyes

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:47 pm

Quoting thunderboltdrgn (Reply 77):

No Bloomberg candidacy.

No Surprise there. Clinton seems to be on track for the nomination so I wouldn't imagine him running against her.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 78):
Turns out he filed last month. Might have been a "just in case."

Seems that way. Looks like they filed identical ones in 2013 & 2014... http://www.mediaite.com/election-201...not-running-for-president-in-2016/

einsteinboricua

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:43 pm

Exactly how he plans to do this so late... I dunno. Ideas?

If there's a broken convention, he's ready to be the consensus candidate.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DolphinAir747

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:07 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 80):
Exactly how he plans to do this so late... I dunno. Ideas?

I like Romney, but he doesn't seem like a logical choice, why would they run someone who would be accused of being a "loser" over a popular rising star like Rubio?

Osubuckeyes

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:48 pm

f there's a broken convention, he's ready to be the consensus candidate.

It is possible but the RNC would have to change the rules if Romney were to be considered in a brokered* convention. If that were to happen I think that there would almost certainly be a 3rd party run from Trump. Although, that puts Trump in an interesting situation as in many states the deadline to be put on the ballot would be before convention.

Currently, Trump is still on track to win the nom, but Kasich is likely to throw a wrench into the situation as he is polling very strong in Michigan (though Trump may still win) and Ohio.

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 81):
I like Romney, but he doesn't seem like a logical choice, why would they run someone who would be accused of being a "loser" over a popular rising star like Rubio?

I wouldn't say that Rubio is overwhelmingly popular. He is currently in 3rd place in the delegate count and will likely lose his home state to Trump.

DocLightning

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 81):

Mr. Rubio is apparently too moderate for today's GOP. Today's GOP base seems to want one of two things:
1) Christian Dominionism in which the 1st Amendment is abolished (or functionally neutered) to establish Evangelical Christianity as the official or de facto official religion of the USA.
2) White supremacism in which there is mass marginalization and even internment/deportation of minorities.

It would seem that the economic conservatives who are not horrid bigots (excuse me: "social conservatives") are actually turning to back Mrs. Clinton. Mrs. Clinton probably falls a bit to the left of Mr. Reagan and even a bit to the right of Mr. Nixon.

The GOP has a real problem. Their messaging and brand since around 2001-2002 has been mostly one of bigotry. Pick your scapegoat: gays, Muslims, Blacks. They haven't gone after Jews yet, but a significant minority of Mr. Trump's supporters are openly neo-Nazi. Karl Rove has been in charge of the GOP's brand and he's allowed this to happen. I hope he's pleased with his work.

Only if every GOP superdelegate votes for him. He's missed too many primaries.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

DolphinAir747

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 83):
It would seem that the economic conservatives who are not horrid bigots (excuse me: "social conservatives") are actually turning to back Mrs. Clinton. Mrs. Clinton probably falls a bit to the left of Mr. Reagan and even a bit to the right of Mr. Nixon.

Well said. Let's not forget that Mrs. Clinton has traditionally been very hawkish in terms of foreign policy which should help her take some non-horrid bigot conservatives. The problem is if Sanders supporters "make a point" of not voting for her.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:33 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 83):

Only if every GOP superdelegate votes for him. He's missed too many primaries.

GOP superdelegates function differently than their Democratic counterparts and have much less influence. Under Convention rules they're bound to the results of their state primary.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Ken777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 70):
I was flabbergasted

Since you are now an old married guy you're allowed to be flabbergasted. Now before you met you husband things might have been different.

It seems that the clock is ticking on Bernie and the huge margins that Clinton is running up among African Americans will likely lose Bern the primary.
Rubio's campaign was a disaster,

I think Rubio really fell when he believed the Republicans that told him to go after Trump. The week before the election he was a disaster and really stupid in thinking he was cute attacking Trump like he did.

I think Rubio is better served going back to the Senate and trying again in 2020.

Hasn't he already said that the Senate is too boring for him and that he is not going to run for re-election even if he didn't win the Presidency?

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 84):
The problem is if Sanders supporters "make a point" of not voting for her.

Hopefully they will remember Nader in 2000 and the problems that his 3rd party run caused the country.

drew777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:57 pm

If the GOP party wants to remain intact, they have to convince Marco to get out now. Kasich should pick up most of Marco's supporters. The data suggests that's enough to edge out Trump in the many of the upcoming contests. Marco's advertisements may claim he's the one Hillary doesn't want to run against, but the head to head polls suggest Kasich would put up the biggest challenge.

Osubuckeyes

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:25 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 86):
I think Rubio really fell when he believed the Republicans that told him to go after Trump. The week before the election he was a disaster and really stupid in thinking he was cute attacking Trump like he did.

Everyone who has attacked Trump has been gobbled up by the Trump machine except for Cruz, but he hasn't attacked full on the way Rubio tried. Cruz piles on Rubio hoping to gain his supporters rather than taking Trump head on so far.

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 86):
Hasn't he already said that the Senate is too boring for him and that he is not going to run for re-election even if he didn't win the Presidency?

Must've missed that, but either way politicians say a lot of things. If he wants another shot at the WH he will go back to the Senate.

Quoting drew777 (Reply 87):

If the GOP party wants to remain intact, they have to convince Marco to get out now. Kasich should pick up most of Marco's supporters. The data suggests that's enough to edge out Trump in the many of the upcoming contests. Marco's advertisements may claim he's the one Hillary doesn't want to run against, but the head to head polls suggest Kasich would put up the biggest challenge.

Kasich might edge Trump without Rubio, but if Rubio drops out it will be dividing proportionally awarded states by 1-3 instaed of 1-4. If the GOP is serious about preventing Trump they should keep Rubio in the race to increase the likelyhood of a brokered convention. Though some say there is a legitimate concern that losing FL to Trump could seriously damage Rubio's future career, I'm not sure I buy other than it would hinder his shot at being the VP on a GOP ticket this round.

A332DTW

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Filled in the bubble for Mr. Sanders today. Beautiful day too, high near 70. Should be a pretty good voter turnout.

Ken777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:59 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 88):
Kasich might edge Trump without Rubio,

I'd be happy with that. Kasich is the only Republican in the race that I would vote for - and I can't decide who is worse, Cruz or Rubio, To me Rubio is an empty shell who can memorize speech writer's work product and Cruz is a real slime ball. Kasich has more judgement and integrity that R & C put together,

DolphinAir747

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:02 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 90):
Cruz is a real slime ball.

You mean blobfish?

Quoting drew777 (Reply 87):
If the GOP party wants to remain intact, they have to convince Marco to get out now. Kasich should pick up most of Marco's supporters. The data suggests that's enough to edge out Trump in the many of the upcoming contests.

Why would Rubio willingly step down when he's been doing better than Kasich so afr?

drew777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 91):

Why would Rubio willingly step down when he's been doing better than Kasich so afr?

He's not even projected to win his home state.

Ken777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Quoting drew777 (Reply 92):
He's not even projected to win his home state.

That's a good reason, but I would prefer that he stay in and keep it a 4 man race - that keeps the Democrats smiling.

diverted

Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 pm

Well said. Let's not forget that Mrs. Clinton has traditionally been very hawkish in terms of foreign policy which should help her take some non-horrid bigot conservatives. The problem is if Sanders supporters "make a point" of not voting for her.

Methinks this is going to be more and more of an issue if Clinton ends up with the nod. Of course the reddidt crowd isn't the best place to get info, but the general theme I get from the Bernie supporters there is if he doesn't get the nod, no one gets their vote. They perceive Hillary as just as bad as Trump or Cruz.

IMHO the DNC stands to lose a LOT of voters if Clinton gets the nomination.

Interesting times ahead friends

Ken777

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:21 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 94):
They perceive Hillary as just as bad as Trump or Cruz.

Which really demonstrates the judgement of those voters.

And they stand to loose a lot more if Sanders gets the nomination. Fortunately that is simply not possible.

DolphinAir747

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:30 pm

Methinks this is going to be more and more of an issue if Clinton ends up with the nod. Of course the reddidt crowd isn't the best place to get info, but the general theme I get from the Bernie supporters there is if he doesn't get the nod, no one gets their vote. They perceive Hillary as just as bad as Trump or Cruz.
Quoting Ken777 (Reply 95):

They perceive Hillary as just as bad as Trump or Cruz.

"Sanders of Bust" is a genuine movement and some will say that Trump who claims to attack Wall Street (ironic right, where did his money come from?) beats the hawk Clinton. Let's hope these people get some sense kicked into their heads.

diverted

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Quoting Ken777 (Reply 95):
Quoting diverted (Reply 94):They perceive Hillary as just as bad as Trump or Cruz.

I don't have a horse in the race, but I have a hard time deciding who's the lesser of the evils. I can totally understand those who Bernie or Bust. The only reason a good portion of them were going to vote was strictly because Bernie was a breath of fresh air (come on, we've all known Hillary was the leading candidate for this campaign as far back as 08)

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 96):
"Sanders of Bust" is a genuine movement and some will say that Trump who claims to attack Wall Street (ironic right, where did his money come from?) beats the hawk Clinton. Let's hope these people get some sense kicked into their heads.

This.

DLFREEBIRD

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:29 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 69):

On TV he was prone to mispronunciations ("Nookyulur") and exaggerated a Texas drawl he did not actually have. Again, he knew that to attract the GOP voter, being an intellectual from Yale was not going to work.

Maybe, Bush scored 1206 on his Sat. That's not going to get you into any Ivy league school but Yale and then only if your father and his father went there and donated large amounts of money.

At Yale he never got a A he was an average C student. He's been rumor to have dyslexia and had to have tutors help him. Bush doesn't like to read. He has always asked other people to read to him. He is a concrete thinker which is common with people with alcoholic histories. It makes them inflexible, harsh and difficult. However, he can still be considered intelligent. We've had intelligent presidents that suck long before him.

bmacleod

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:02 pm

At least Hillary is more willing to make deals with Paul Ryan's Congress. Sander's big tax hikes would never have a chance in a GOP congress.

If Democrats retake Congress good for Bernie; but with more voters focused on the Presidential race rather than Congressional races, I'm hoping for Hillary to win.

[Edited 2016-03-09 06:05:48]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus