Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Pyongyang, DPRK: New Metro Trains

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:07 pm

The Pyongyang Metro has introduced new metro trains in late 2015, built in the DPRK (the previous trains were built in East Germany and China).

Please keep your political comments and/or bashing out of this thread, feel free to start a separate one. This thread is to discuss the new trains and nothing else. We on A.net are transportation enthusiasts, remember.

In my opinion, the new trains look typically Korean. The shape, position and size of the headlights remind me of the Paektu cable car, built decades earlier at the same locomotive factory. Quite a few design similarities:

Also, it's quite obvious to me that the exterior colors mimic the German ICE bullet train:

The Supreme Leader Kim Jong-eun visited the Kim Jong Thae Electric Locomotive Complex on November 19, 2015 and it looks like he liked it. Here are some photos from the visit, including interior shots:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...metro-train/slideshow/49517410.cms

I'll have to say I'm not a fan of the interior. But overall the train looks nice.

Soren   

DocLightning

RE: Pyongyang, DPRK: New Metro Trains

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:28 pm

That's actually very impressive to build such a thing with so few resources. Of course, we don't know how well they work.

mham001

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:47 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
In my opinion, the new trains look typically Korean. The shape, position and size of the headlights remind me of the Paektu cable car, built decades earlier at the same locomotive factory. Quite a few design similarities:

Yes, they both have two headlights.

Francoflier

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:15 am

Interesting.

There's not a lot to go on, but a closer look at the front end of the driver cab seems to indicate a really average metalwork (if this is even metal).

Whatever can be seen of the undercarriage looks positively Victorian.

If I had to bet, I would say this are modern-design-ish cabins (and probably poorly made too) stuck on top of some old generation rolling gear.

But if that's good enough for the supremo, then who am I to judge? He might not even execute the engineers and project managers if his mood is good enough.

(sorry, it's hard to stay apolitical with this f#*knut).

CrimsonNL

Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Is this Chinese built then North Korea assembled? That's what happens with most of their heavy industrial products. Even a guide in the national industrial museum had to admit that with the "North Korean" cars

Martijn

simfanatic

Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:29 pm

AFAIK these are actually the German "Dora" trains, extensively remodeled. Just compare it to this picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/MetroPyongyang.jpg
The whole structure is pretty similar, including the three windows for the cab. Also the windows and doors on the side have the same position.

[Edited 2016-03-06 11:30:31]

[Edited 2016-03-06 11:33:47]

Birdwatching
Topic Author

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6gMAXsvUV0#t=17m34s
Here's a video of the new train in motion, exterior and interior.

Soren   

mham001

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:53 am

The train's interior finish is as crude as the exterior metal work Francoflier noted.

Fascinating video, 45 minutes of the Great Leader. I always think "dead men walking" every time I see those poor schleps following him around writing in their notebooks. The poor guy at 29:47 looks to be shaking in his new boots by 30:36. The narration is resounding, nearly orgasmic at times, I almost stood up and saluted at 44:40. I wonder how many of his hair stylists have gotten the bullet.

JAGflyer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:46 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 7):

Why is it he is always followed around by men with notebooks? Are they literally taking notes every time he takes a breath or moves a muscle? "Great Leader inhaled at 14:02:01, exhaled at 14:02:03, moved his left arm 2.5 inches at 14:03:51".

nighthawk

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Quoting Jagflyer (Reply 8):
Why is it he is always followed around by men with notebooks? Are they literally taking notes every time he takes a breath or moves a muscle? "Great Leader inhaled at 14:02:01, exhaled at 14:02:03, moved his left arm 2.5 inches at 14:03:51".

Most of it is for show. He is always portrayed in the media as being a wise figure, constantly sharing his wisdom to benefit the nation and improve the farm/factory/construction site he is visiting. They do this by showing the army of notebook carrying aids following his every move, frantically trying to jot down his advice.

When I visited North Korea 2 years ago, they took us to a hydro dam project that was the pride of the nation. They showed us the propaganda video (in English) which repeatedly claimed that Kim Jong-Ill repeatedly visited the site to provide advice, and was even the one who advised them exactly where to put the dam (Because their own experts apparently couldn't work it out). The construction project was struggling at one point, but Kim Jong-Ill came back, and saved the day with his advice yet again!

DocLightning

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 3):

There's not a lot to go on, but a closer look at the front end of the driver cab seems to indicate a really average metalwork (if this is even metal).

Can you educate me? What are you looking at that gives you this impression?

seb146

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:01 pm

I had heard that the trains had electrical problems and, sometimes, people would be electrocuted. Have they fixed that?

WingsFan

Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 11):
I had heard that the trains had electrical problems and, sometimes, people would be electrocuted. Have they fixed that?

It was not the problem. It was by design. The train was meant to be transport dissidents and 'agents of imperial US of A' .

MD11Engineer

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Quoting simfanatic (Reply 5):
AFAIK these are actually the German "Dora" trains, extensively remodeled. Just compare it to this picture:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/MetroPyongyang.jpg
The whole structure is pretty similar, including the three windows for the cab. Also the windows and doors on the side have the same position.

[Edited 2016-03-06 11:30:31]

Actually these are former West Berln narrow tunnel profile trains from the 1970s, which the North Koreans bought, together with East Berlin "Gisela" trains from the same period.
Berlin's underground network has to different systems: The older narrow profile tunels and the more modern wide profile tunnels, both in former West and East Berlin. The both use 800 V DC for power, but on the narrow profile trains the pickup from the third rail is from the top, hile on the wide profile trains it is from the bottom, as the tunnels are wider.

Jan

Flaps

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
I'll have to say I'm not a fan of the interior.

I've seen worse. At least the seats aren't plastic.

diverted

Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:51 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 14):
Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):I'll have to say I'm not a fan of the interior.
I've seen worse. At least the seats aren't plastic.

Try riding the TTC sometime..

Mind you, they were supposed to have all new subways and streetcars, but Bombardier has been dropping the ball. New rolling stock is slowly arriving though.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3201/2801885108_c3e7a706d5_b.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/TTC_T1_at_Kipling.jpg/800px-TTC_T1_at_Kipling.jpg

simfanatic

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 13):

hate to correct you, but the Gisela's are narrow-profile Trains, built in East Germany beginning of the 80's while the Dora's are Wide-Profile Trains from the West, built around 1955-1970. The rest is correct, except that we use 750V.

MD11Engineer

Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:13 pm

Quoting simfanatic (Reply 16):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 13):

hate to correct you, but the Gisela's are narrow-profile Trains, built in East Germany beginning of the 80's while the Dora's are Wide-Profile Trains from the West, built around 1955-1970. The rest is correct, except that we use 750V.

Years ago (back in the 1980s) the THW unit I was in (Kreuzberg-Neukölln Company) did some training in Britz Süd BVG depot to practice rescue inside the tunnels and how to put a derailed train back on it's tracks. We got told to be careful where we would pee if we had to inside the tunnels because of the third rail and also how to install a short circuit device to make the automatic circuit breakers for the train power open in the distribution centre. This is how i remember the different types of power pick up. And the first time i saw a picture of a North Korean underground train I noticed tht they looked familiar.

Jan

[Edited 2016-03-09 14:14:37]

PHX787

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:48 pm

Wow, looks nice. Hopefully the DPRK calms their tits so I can get over there and ride on them!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 1):
That's actually very impressive to build such a thing with so few resources. Of course, we don't know how well they work.

Doesn't China supply them with Steel? Or at least they did until all of their nuke testing went on.