jetwet1

RE: Can Leicester Win The Premiership? II

Tue May 03, 2016 1:52 am

Congratulations Leicester City, you deserved the title.

LittleFokker

Tue May 03, 2016 2:02 am

I usually stay out of the soccer/football threads, nor have I read any of the above posts......can someone give me the Reader's Digest version of why Leicester City winning the title is a big deal?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

MrHMSH

Tue May 03, 2016 2:41 am

Quoting LittleFokker (Reply 101):

I usually stay out of the soccer/football threads, nor have I read any of the above posts......can someone give me the Reader's Digest version of why Leicester City winning the title is a big deal?

In European football, and especially English football since 1992, the league titles and majority of trophies are won by a select group of clubs, usually ones with many trophies in the past, large fanbases and stadia and sometimes rich owners. To win trophies normally mean you have to spend loads of money, and only those that could spend won these things.

Leicester however until last year were just one of the clubs in the English leagues who bobbed up and down in the divisions, there wasn't anything particularly special about them, they had a lot of players who were castoffs from big clubs or just bought from other 'average' clubs. But in 2014 they were promoted to the Premier League, and struggled. They were rock bottom of the league until about April of 2015, when they somehow put a run of results together and survived. Then their manager got sacked because his son was involved in a scandal, and they brought in Claudio Ranieri, fresh off of failing spectacularly with Greece's national team. His appointment was largely ridiculed.

So now we have the situation where a manager without much success is in charge of a bunch of misfits, rejects and cheap acquisitions, their odds of winning the league 5000/1 (longer odds than Kim Kardashian becoming US president!!). Many expected them to be relegated back to the 2nd division. But when the season started, they did well. They had great energy about them, and they won lots of games. It was clear that they'd stay up, but no one believed they'd last the distance. But at the time when these stories usually fall away (case in point: Southampton falling away last season), Leicester got stronger. They changed their style but kept on winning. Until they reached this milestone.

It's a big deal because it's very rare that big and elite clubs have been toppled by a plucky underdog. It's always culture in Europe to root for the underdog, and where Leicester's team cost £30m ($45m), some teams have individual players that cost more than that, some teams totalling £200m or £300m or more. It's just plain ridiculous that a team could become so much more than the sum of its parts and go the whole distance over 38 games.

The other difference is that in a knockout competition, it's not unheard of for big teams to fall to smaller teams, but you only win league titles if you are the best, there are few exceptions. So if Leicester won the FA Cup it wouldn't be a huge shock, but the league? It's arguably the greatest upset in sporting history.

Elite

Tue May 03, 2016 4:38 am

5000 to 1 odds to win the season, which is a cumulative points-based league and not a knockout tournament. The league is dominated by the big money clubs who can afford to pay players $300k or $400k a week; having a small team where players are earning a tenth of that win it is a major upset.

CXfirst

Tue May 03, 2016 5:34 am

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 102):
Many expected them to be relegated back to the 2nd division.

Not only that. But only a couple of years ago they were in the 3rd tier of English football. And in the last 20 years or so, Leicester have been a consistent 2nd tier, or even 3rd tier team. So, getting to the premier league alone is a great result for them, staying in it, was a fantastic result, but winning it, that is an unbelievable result!

-CXfirst

LittleFokker

Tue May 03, 2016 6:01 am

Quoting Elite (Reply 103):

Sounds like quite the superunderdog. Thank you
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

BartSimpson

Tue May 03, 2016 7:31 am

AND Mark Selby won the Snooker World Championship in a nerve-breaking final against Ding Jun Hui! Congrats to both of them and the football team!

Must have been the most amazing day in the history of the city.

scbriml
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2016 8:09 am

Congratulations to Leicester! An amazing achievement.  

Spurs really lost it in the second half and will get a serious slapping from the FA. As much as I dislike Costa, an attempted eye gouge has no place on the football field.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TheSonntag

Tue May 03, 2016 9:46 am

It's arguably the greatest upset in sporting history.

I would probably call it "one of the greatest", but I certainly do not think we shall discuss it again, because it is such a great achievement.
There is probably just one guy who is even bigger, Otto Rehhagel, he was already getting his honorable mention here in this thread, as he became Champion with Kaiserslautern and won the Euro 2004. So he did it both in the league a n d a tournament.

Congratulations to Robert Huth, btw. He always was a bit in the shadow of other Players in Germany, but this title belongs to him, as well.

winterlight

Tue May 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Fans will be handed some limited edition Salt & Victory crisps during the final home game on the 7th.

http://www.conveniencestore.co.uk/pr...icester-city-fc-win/535484.article
Question everything. Trust no-one.

Adipasquale

Tue May 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Leicester's title is akin to a AAA team getting promoted to the Show, going on to win the world series, and key players who were playing semi-pro ball a few years ago turning into stars on the same level as Mike Trout and Bryce Harper.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

coolian2

Tue May 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Quoting Adipasquale (Reply 110):
Leicester's title is akin to a AAA team getting promoted to the Show, going on to win the world series, and key players who were playing semi-pro ball a few years ago turning into stars on the same level as Mike Trout and Bryce Harper.

Or the Cleveland Browns winning the NBA.

Yes I'm aware it's not their sport.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

victrola

Tue May 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Everyone

n European football, and especially English football since 1992, the league titles and majority of trophies are won by a select group of clubs, usually ones with many trophies in the past, large fanbases and stadia and sometimes rich owners

If anything the Premier League is much more competitive than any of the other leagues in Europe. Look at the Bundesliga, Bayern Munich, Borusa Dortmund several points behind, and then the rest in the dust. France, Paris St. Germain and then a bunch of obscure teams left in the dust half way through the season. Spain, Real Madrid, Barcelona sometimes Athletico, and then a bunch of also rans.

Anyway congratulations to Leicester City, one of the greatest sports stories in decades.

GrahamHill

Tue May 03, 2016 6:09 pm

Quoting victrola (Reply 112):
France, Paris St. Germain and then a bunch of obscure teams left in the dust half way through the season

Hey! My team, SM Caen, is not an obscure team, ok?!    

(well, it is. A bit   )
"A learned fool is more foolish than an ignorant one" - Moliere

Dano1977

Tue May 03, 2016 6:59 pm

After last nights Chelsea - Tottenham game I'm surprised John Terry didn't return to the field in the full Leicester kit expecting a trophy.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

LSZH34

Tue May 03, 2016 7:32 pm

Quoting victrola (Reply 112):
If anything the Premier League is much more competitive than any of the other leagues in Europe. Look at the Bundesliga, Bayern Munich, Borusa Dortmund several points behind, and then the rest in the dust. France, Paris St. Germain and then a bunch of obscure teams left in the dust half way through the season. Spain, Real Madrid, Barcelona sometimes Athletico, and then a bunch of also rans.

I disagree with the Spanish league. Real, Barca or Atletico could lose anytime to a bad team. France, Germany and Italy have one of the most boring leagues at the moment. It's almost a given that Paris SG, Bayern and Juve will get the title again next year. You can't say the same for English and Spanish league.

Osubuckeyes

Tue May 03, 2016 9:52 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 115):
You can't say the same for English and Spanish league.

Ehhh Spanish league has had 5 Champions in the last 30 years with 25 of them going to Barca or RM. EPL has had 9 Champions over the same time frame ManU definitely have the most, but they certainly have been challenged by several different teams. I would agree though that La Liga is better than Ligue 1, Bundesliga, and Serie A.

Toni_

Wed May 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 115):
I disagree with the Spanish league. Real, Barca or Atletico could lose anytime to a bad team. France, Germany and Italy have one of the most boring leagues at the moment. It's almost a given that Paris SG, Bayern and Juve will get the title again next year. You can't say the same for English and Spanish league.

Although it's hard to compare to 2 leagues, I kinda agree with him on this. The Spanish competitiveness is strong, but it is between 3 teams only. And that's with Simeone's Atletico that amazingly is managing to stay up there. Once he leaves, I believe they'll sink a little and make a two-team league again.

Just look at the massive 20 points gap between 3rd ranked Real Madrid and 4th rank Villarreal. And that in a season where both Barcelona and Real experienced some mini-crises and haven't shown real superiority. You don't see these large gaps in the Premier League that often, which for me makes it for more competitive.

I do draw the line at the competitive part though. Quality wise I rate the Spanish league as the best league in the world.

victrola

Wed May 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting GrahamHill (Reply 113):
Hey! My team, SM Caen, is not an obscure team, ok?!    

Hey I'm an Olympique Marselles fan myself.

IADCA

Wed May 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 116):
EPL has had 9 Champions over the same time frame ManU definitely have the most, but they certainly have been challenged by several different teams.

Yeah, but the actual Premier League era has really changed things by massively concentrating the TV money at the top clubs. It's made it much harder for teams to climb the ladder and break into the very top echelon with anything other than a new, massively rich owner. That's what makes Leicester so remarkable. Prior to Leicester, every single Premier League winner was an original Premier League member.

Since 1992, the first Premier League season, there have only been six winners; Blackburn and Leicester have only 1 each and Man City has 2. The rest is Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal. That's 20 out of 24 for 3 clubs.

[Edited 2016-05-04 11:37:12]

scbriml
Topic Author

Wed May 04, 2016 6:37 pm

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 114):
After last nights Chelsea - Tottenham game I'm surprised John Terry didn't return to the field in the full Leicester kit expecting a trophy.

Well played, sir!   
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

victrola

Fri May 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Quoting Toni_ (Reply 117):
Although it's hard to compare to 2 leagues, I kinda agree with him on this. The Spanish competitiveness is strong, but it is between 3 teams only. And that's with Simeone's Atletico that amazingly is managing to stay up there. Once he leaves, I believe they'll sink a little and make a two-team league again.

Precisely. It can only recently be described as a 3 team league and will probably regress back to a 2 team league.

jetwet1

Sat May 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 107):
Spurs really lost it in the second half and will get a serious slapping from the FA. As much as I dislike Costa, an attempted eye gouge has no place on the football field.

I couldn't agree more, forgetting the play of Spurs for a second, watching the stupidity on both sides, but more on the Spurs side made me sad, and a bit angry, that's not what Spurs stand for, you would never have seen Steve Perryman doing something like that.

I can understand being frustrated, but lets be honest, Spurs brought that on themselves and have done so in the past, coming out in the 2nd half and playing the way they did you could tell that Chelsea were going to claw back into the game, the first Chelsea goal should have been the wake up call to get out and play. The second Chelsea goal, that was beautiful.

Oh well, next season.

scbriml
Topic Author

Sat May 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Crazy scenes at the King Power Stadium this afternoon. Leicester played like champions. There will be some serious headaches tomorrow morning!