Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YVRLTN

RE: Can Leicester Win The Premiership? II

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:52 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 47):
I am a lifelong Spurs fan

No doubt there is happiness in the jetwet house tonight...  
Quoting Toni_ (Reply 49):
Gap reduced to 5 points. It's on!

Indeed, be interesting to see if this gets into Leicester's head or not. Spurs look far more like champions after a performance like that than Leicester ever have, but the points dont lie and thats all that matters...

Toni_

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Minute 71 in the Leicester-Swansea game and it's already 3-0 with 2 goals from Ulloa. Jamie who?! Dilly Ding Dilly Dong!

scbriml
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:27 pm

Finished 4-0 to Leicester, for them to move back to eight points clear. Spurs play on Monday night against West Brom. That's a game most people would expect them to win, but the pressure is now on them to produce.

Next games are both tough - Leicester away to Man Utd on Sunday 1st May, while Spurs visit Chelsea on Monday 2nd.

David_itl

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:34 pm

The hard part for Tottenham is that they have realistically got to win each game. Any game not won means a win for Leicester and the title's in the bag.

also showed the Leicester squad has a togetherness that is rarely seen in the big name sides with the "underused" rising to the plate... I said to a colleague at work that Ulloa would be more than good enough to step in for Vardy as last year he started like a train on fire. Lots of "average" players where the sum of them is well above average.

Toni_

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Love how the Leicester fans were chanting: "4-0 to the one-man team" 
Quoting david_itl (Reply 53):
I said to a colleague at work that Ulloa would be more than good enough to step in for Vardy as last year he started like a train on fire

I had my doubts before the game, but I gotta admit, he was great! Just got a bit worried when I saw him limping off with an injury near the end. Hope he's fit for Man Utd.

LSZH34

Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 52):
Next games are both tough - Leicester away to Man Utd on Sunday 1st May, while Spurs visit Chelsea on Monday 2nd.

Certainly harder for Leicester. Anyone could win against this season's Chelsea.

This 4-0 victory is way overhyped and Leicester is far away from being in the clear. It may be 5 or 8 points now, but if they draw against ManU, it's gonna be only 3 points and this 2 matchdays before season end (assuming Tottenham wins).

The upcoming match against ManU is the most important of them all. If they win this one, then we can talk about being almost through...

David_itl

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:53 pm

Tottenham drew 1-1 tonight. No more dropped points are allowed or any Leicester win in the last 3 games and Leicester are champions

scbriml
Topic Author

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 pm

Well, there's a twist - Spurs only manage a 1-1 draw against a determined WBA. Leicester now seven points ahead with just three games left. One win from their last three games and the Foxes are champions!   

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 55):
This 4-0 victory is way overhyped

By whom? It was a good win. At this point of the season, any win is a good win.

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 55):
The upcoming match against ManU is the most important of them all.

Not any more! They can lose to ManU and easily still be champions.   

MrHMSH

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:20 pm

I think Leicester are going to draw against Manchester United, but you can easily see them winning that game. I suspect Spurs will beat Chelsea the following Monday. Which opens up an interesting possibility: could it be Southampton that end Tottenham's title challenge once and for all? Maybe not, but I'm going to White Hart Lane in 2 weeks to watch Southampton play there, and we're not terribly fond of Pochettino down here. In any case, if Leicester have the league wrapped up there will be much gloating from the red and white end!  

LSZH34

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:40 pm

Great evening! One big step closer to the Championship after The Spurs' draw!

jetwet1

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 58):
Which opens up an interesting possibility: could it be Southampton that end Tottenham's title challenge once and for all?

As a life long Spurs fan, who lived a good chunk of his life in Southampton (well close enough to count) this is probably the way it will go.....The life of a Spurs fan, watching the game against WBA today I think I invented a few new curse words.

coolian2

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:43 am

Who knows which Manchester United will show up.

Not that it matters - Everton are terrible and I'd expect Leicester to wrap it up against them regardless of what happens at Old Trafford.

Adipasquale

Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:18 am

I just read that Spurs have not won at Stamford Bridge since 1990...four years before I was born! Obviously this means nothing for future performance, but since firing the "Special One" Chelsea have been much better, climbing up to 9th place from just above the drop zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see Leicester and Spurs both tie next week, which would obviously be enough for the Foxes to clinch the title. FWIW, http://sportsclubstats.com is giving Leicester a 97% chance of winning the league right now. I wonder how that guy who cashed out his bet on Leicester to win the league a few weeks ago is feeling now! 
In all seriousness, if Leicester can finish this off, it will be one of the greatest (if not the greatest) sporting upsets of all time, or at least certainly in my lifetime. Going from dead last and almost certain relegation to the pinnacle of English soccer in just over a year's time is almost too incredible to fathom. They have certainly earned a new fan from a small western New York town in the process, regardless of how this season finishes. Go Foxes!

Toni_

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:54 am

Wow, I did not see this coming! Never expected to see Spurs choke against WBA. Leicester can even afford to lose at Old Trafford now.

Quoting Adipasquale (Reply 62):
In all seriousness, if Leicester can finish this off, it will be one of the greatest (if not the greatest) sporting upsets of all time, or at least certainly in my lifetime. Going from dead last and almost certain relegation to the pinnacle of English soccer in just over a year's time is almost too incredible to fathom.

I'm struggling to come up with another team in football history that did something similar. Maybe before I was born in '81. There might be plenty of fairy tail stories out there, but for me, none even come close to what Leicester is about to achieve!

It all has to do with the circumstances and events. Like you already said, the way they escaped relegation exactly a year ago. The signing of Ranieri, which was mocked by the entire football world (including me). Being in a league with Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool, that combined spent well over a billion quid in the last couple of seasons. The amazing rise of Vardy. He came out of nowhere. The incredible Mahrez story that just won the PFA player of the year award. A player, that compared to EPL signings, was signed for the fee of a can of coke and a bag of crisps. The way the team kept it together without suspensions and injuries.

Poor Gary Lineker. I hope the MOTD studio is heated. It's been a bit chilly in western Europe lately.

jetwet1

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:59 pm

In football, it would have to pretty much be right up there, I can think of a couple of other teams in different sports which were supposed to do nothing and went on to win it all, but this thread is about Leicester and what they are doing and I think it should stay that way.

coolian2

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Quoting Toni_ (Reply 63):
I'm struggling to come up with another team in football history that did something similar. Maybe before I was born in '81. There might be plenty of fairy tail stories out there, but for me, none even come close to what Leicester is about to achieve!

The closest I can think of is Auckland City (an amateur club) finishing 3rd in the World Club Championship a year or two ago. But even that pales as anything can happen in a knockout competition.

alberchico

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:58 am

I'm struggling to come up with another team in football history that did something similar.

What about Greece winning Euro 2004 ?

MrHMSH

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:36 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 60):
As a life long Spurs fan, who lived a good chunk of his life in Southampton (well close enough to count) this is probably the way it will go.....The life of a Spurs fan, watching the game against WBA today I think I invented a few new curse words.

I do feel sorry for them... sort of. In any other year, a Spurs team with great talent and a well-refined energetic style would be a huge story. But although not rolling in cash like other clubs, Spurs are still considered one of the elite, whereas Leicester 1 year ago were just another one of the sides that comes up and struggles. I wish it could have been Southampton, but we weren't good enough to push on and then the vultures came. I hope the same fate doesn't befall them.

Quoting alberchico (Reply 66):

The Euros and World Cup are cup competitions, and as coolian2 says, anything can happen in a knockout competition. The FA Cup in England for example is being contested by a team that has won 1 league game in 2016 and another that's so boring at times that sleeping birds falling from the sky are a hazard.

YVRLTN

Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:45 am

Never expected to see Spurs choke against WBA

I sure dont want to take away anything from Leicester's amazing achievement because they have been very good, but IMO they have been helped by all the big teams slipping up here and there, just like Spurs did against West Brom. I think Spurs went on to the pitch thinking they were going to win, they dominated the first half, they could/should have been up 2, 3 or 4 and the fact that they weren't, the pressure of having to win plus West Brom came out a different team I think really got to them. Whereas Leicester have systematically taken their chances and not given up anything.

Credit where it is due, but neither of the Manchester teams have been consistent, Utd are only just beginning to find form now, Arsenal are losing form, Liverpool are only just beginning to find form, Chelsea WTF, West Ham punched above their weight - that really only leaves Spurs as a consistent competitor, and even they have blips - which Leicester just have not.

FlyingColours

Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:45 am

Norwich had a good run back in 1992-93 but imploded and finished 3rd, though that was the early years of the Premiership so could be considered a bit "old" as the league hadn't come to the same level as today.

I'm a Man City fan and I really want Leicester to do it & to be honest I've been saying that for months. It would just be spectacular, this season has had some odd results which combined with Leicester's amazing performance has allowed them to get to the top and stay there for so long, it's also revitalized interest in the league from "normal" people who had come to see the PL as boring given how it's the same top few clubs fighting for the title every season, I have more interest in the relegation battle as that is where you really can see emotion as players & fans fight for survival.

I hope Leicester can do it, they haven't got the greatest of fixtures left with both being away to Trafford Rovers & Chelsea but they have got Everton back at home, if they somehow can't get the job done at home then the Chelsea game will be extremely interesting given some of their players comments last week as to how much they don't want Tottenham to win...

Phil
FlyingColours

scbriml
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:41 am

That was a surprise, but in a knock-out tournament where teams only have to play a maximum of six games. Greece qualified from their group with just four points (W1, D1, L1), then bored their way to three 1-0 wins. Don't get me wrong, all credit to them for pulling it off, but I would see Leicester winning a 38-game PL season as a significantly bigger achievement.

Elite

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 am

A great story, but the money of the top premier league clubs, along with the grind of a 38 game schedule (allowing the richer, deeper clubs to make up lost ground) make a league title that much harder. Teams can have a fluke tournament, but over the course of a year it is a lot more difficult.

seahawk

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:30 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 65):

The closest I can think of is Auckland City (an amateur club) finishing 3rd in the World Club Championship a year or two ago. But even that pales as anything can happen in a knockout competition

German Bundesliga 96/97

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997%E2%80%9398_Bundesliga

BartSimpson

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:36 am

New guy here - I say hello to Airliners.net!

I would throw in Kaiserslautern in 1998. They managed to become German champion after they had just been re-promoted into the Bundesliga. Their coach was Otto Rehagel (who also won the famous 2004 European Championship with Greece).

Granted, they may not have had the same quality of competition that Leicester is facing this season...

MrHMSH

Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Quoting BartSimpson (Reply 73):
quality of competition

To be brutally honest, I'm not sure the Premier League can be accused of having quality opposition this season!  

Adipasquale

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Probably Nottingham Forest winning the first division in 1977-1978 is the closest analogy to what Leicester are doing now, come to think of it.

scbriml
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:28 pm

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 69):
Norwich had a good run back in 1992-93 but imploded and finished 3rd, though that was the early years of the Premiership so could be considered a bit "old" as the league hadn't come to the same level as today.

Nearly 20 years previously, Queens Park Rangers (who?) finished one point behind Liverpool in the '75-76 season. As a life-long QPR fan, I was devastated. Before Leicester this season, that's probably the closest a really small, unfashionable team has come to winning it (although Notts Forest and Blackburn Rovers might dispute that, but personally, I consider them both to be bigger clubs than QPR & Leicester).

Quoting MrHMSH (Reply 74):
To be brutally honest, I'm not sure the Premier League can be accused of having quality opposition this season!

It has almost been a 'perfect storm' season. All the big clubs playing inconsistently (some really poorly at times), all taking points off each other. Add the distractions of European competition and the way has been clear for a rank outsider to move in. That it has been Leicester rather than one of the other big clubs is just fantastic.

Toni_

Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Cup games are a bit different. Plus I support the Portuguese NT and that game against Greece still gives me nightmares.   I mean, fair play to the Greeks, but the way they parked the bus in that tournament eventually caused a disgusting wave of defensive football across Europe. For teams it became a way to win trophies, and that ruined a lot for me.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 68):
I sure dont want to take away anything from Leicester's amazing achievement because they have been very good, but IMO they have been helped by all the big teams slipping up here and there, just like Spurs did against West Brom. I think Spurs went on to the pitch thinking they were going to win, they dominated the first half, they could/should have been up 2, 3 or 4 and the fact that they weren't, the pressure of having to win plus West Brom came out a different team I think really got to them. Whereas Leicester have systematically taken their chances and not given up anything.

Yeah, I agree it's pretty shocking what the others have shown this season. Chelsea as title defenders were absolute garbage. I'm sure they're happy Leicester are doing well because otherwise the negative focus would be fully on them now. And poor Arsenal fans have been banging their heads against the wall too. If there was one season they could've won the league, it sure is this one. After beating Leicester in the Emirates I really thought they were up for it too, but somehow the wheels still came off.

Quoting BartSimpson (Reply 73):
New guy here - I say hello to Airliners.net!

I would throw in Kaiserslautern in 1998. They managed to become German champion after they had just been re-promoted into the Bundesliga. Their coach was Otto Rehagel (who also won the famous 2004 European Championship with Greece).

Granted, they may not have had the same quality of competition that Leicester is facing this season...

Hello and welcome!

Decent call! I forgot about that Kaiserslautern team. The other ones that come close in recent history are AZ Alkmaar, Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona and Montpellier. Louis van Gaal had a cracking season with AZ and managed to keep Ajax and PSV below them. Kiryat Shmona was a tiny young Israeli team that managed to win it out of nowhere. And Olivier Giroud's Montpellier managed to stay ahead of a PSG that was just taken over by their new rich owner and still were in the process of building up the squad. The main difference with Leicester is that nobody outside the countries of those 3 teams really bothered about them. Leicester has been in the international spotlight for months now and it's really impressive how they just kept going.

Adipasquale

Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Nottingham Forest winning the division one in 1977-78 a year after they were promoted is probably the best comparison.

IADCA

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Their odds were around 150/1. Leicester came into the season at 5000/1. A relatively short tournament, including knockout rounds, is orders of magnitude easier than a 38-match season in terms of generating a longshot winner. To give you an idea, a 5000/1 tournament bet that you could make today would be Botswana to win the 2018 World Cup.

aerorobnz

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:44 am

Tottenham are in the same predicament as Bernie Sanders - they lost a majorly important game/primary. Still might technically be possible if all the stars align, but the odds of it happening would make Leicester's odds at the beginning of the season look good.

I'd really like Leicester to win in the next game just to put it beyond doubt. They deserve it totally.

scbriml
Topic Author

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:40 am

It just got a little harder for Spurs with the banning of Dele Alli for throwing a "punch" in the WBA match. I saw the incident on TV and it was such a girly, ineffective punch that his "victim" actually laughed at him! I think a three match ban is a little harsh.

FlyingColours

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:04 pm

With Spurs away to Chelsea this weekend it adds an extra twist, if Chelsea win and Leicester draw at Trafford then they've won the title...

There is an interesting recording/article on the BBC Sport website which says that Leicester will be better off financially if they finish second as they won't have to pay as much in bonuses, I get what he is saying but to roll over and give up for such a reason is ludicrous.

Phil
FlyingColours

Dano1977

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:52 pm

As a Tottenham fan, I would love to see Spurs win the premiership, But alas, I think Leicester are champions elect. (Finishing above Arsenal is like winning the Premier league also   

I will be happy with second place (and the predicted £95million prize money) a European Champions league spot.

With a good young talented squad, a young manager (who has just signed a two year contract extension) a new stadium being built, a state of the art training facility along with an excellent academy, the future is bright for Tottenham.

Adipasquale

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:10 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 82):
With Spurs away to Chelsea this weekend it adds an extra twist, if Chelsea win and Leicester draw at Trafford then they've won the title...

If Leicester draws, a draw between Chelsea and Spurs would also give the title to Leicester. If Spurs lose, the title is Leicester's no matter the result of their game Sunday.

YVRLTN

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:46 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 81):

It just got a little harder for Spurs with the banning of Dele Alli for throwing a "punch" in the WBA match. I saw the incident on TV and it was such a girly, ineffective punch that his "victim" actually laughed at him! I think a three match ban is a little harsh.

But it was at least the third time he had done it, he had just never been punished before, thats probably why.

And Vardy is suspended an extra game so will miss the Utd game too.

I have to say it is a little bizarre tightening up on these things so late in the season. Just trying to add some drama maybe.

scbriml
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Excellent result for Leicester at Old Trafford. Eight points clear before Spurs play on Monday. If Spurs don't win, Leicester are champions! As a QPR fan, I don't say this very often, but "Come on Chelsea!"   

jetwet1

Sun May 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 86):
Excellent result for Leicester at Old Trafford. Eight points clear before Spurs play on Monday. If Spurs don't win, Leicester are champions! As a QPR fan, I don't say this very often, but "Come on Chelsea!"

Let's go with Spurs embarrass Chelsea on Monday and draw with Southampton on the 8th, anything the pours salt into the very open wound at Chelsea is a good thing IMHO.

Southampton are 2 up playing Man City, another team I wouldn't mind seeing lose.

Adipasquale

Mon May 02, 2016 2:20 am

As a QPR fan

I don't say this very often, but "Come on Chelsea!"

Probably the only time I will find myself rooting for Chelsea as well.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 87):
Let's go with Spurs embarrass Chelsea on Monday and draw with Southampton on the 8th, anything the pours salt into the very open wound at Chelsea is a good thing IMHO.

Please no. As much as I dislike Chelsea, I want Leicester to win the title even more. That means I don't want to see this dragged out any longer, the sooner Leicester wraps up the title, the better...even if it means rooting for the Blues for one week.   

scbriml
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2016 7:42 am

Quoting Adipasquale (Reply 88):
even if it means rooting for the Blues for one week.

A week?   

I'll cheer for them for exactly 90 minutes plus stoppage time, not a second longer.   

BartSimpson

Mon May 02, 2016 5:19 pm

I have just realised that snooker player Mark Selby is from Leicester ("The Jester from Leicester"). Must be a pain for him to have to play the last session of the WC final at exactly the same time as Leicester could secure the title...

If both win tonight there should be an epic party in town.

Toni_

Mon May 02, 2016 7:53 pm

The Spurs are leading 2-0 at HT, and maybe that isn't so bad after all . I really want Leicester to win the title, but then again, celebrating it without playing is always a bit less fun.

Packed King Power stadium. Vardy will be back. The city of Leicester can go mental next week. I'm fully confident that they can beat Everton. Can't wait to watch that happen!

Quoting BartSimpson (Reply 90):
I have just realised that snooker player Mark Selby is from Leicester ("The Jester from Leicester"). Must be a pain for him to have to play the last session of the WC final at exactly the same time as Leicester could secure the title...

Leicester party number 1 is about to kick off. 

alberchico

Mon May 02, 2016 8:47 pm

Oh my God we are about to see history...

LSZH34

Mon May 02, 2016 8:55 pm

Congratulations Leicester City!            

Osubuckeyes

Mon May 02, 2016 8:56 pm

They did it!!!! Would have been so special to do it on matchday, but I'm sure Leicester is exploding right now!

GrahamHill

Mon May 02, 2016 9:01 pm

Congratulations Leicester City! Fantastic season, this is well deserved!      

Special congrats to N'Golo Kante, a former player of my home team SM Caen. Last year he was playing to keep the club in Ligue 1, this year he is champion of England. I'm super happy for him  

Adipasquale

Mon May 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 93):
Congratulations Leicester City!

YES YES YES
This is what makes sports amazing! Things actually happening that seem like they come from a feel-good movie script! Leicester's title gives hope to underdogs everywhere. Can't wait to see what the atmosphere at the KPS will be like this coming Saturday.

Toni_

Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 pm

Lol, I'm actually a little bit gutted they have to celebrate it like this, but heck! Well done Leicester City!!!

Edit:
Team reaction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_y0xL-5Qfo
Fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG4oiXDeoAk
Fantastic stuff! Big grin

Ranieri went to Italy to visit his 96 year old mother and missed the Chelsea-Spurs game. It will be truly amazing for him to get off the plane and roll right into this madness.

[Edited 2016-05-02 14:31:39]

MrHMSH

Mon May 02, 2016 10:07 pm

A huge congratulations to them, I suspect that's the biggest sporting shock I'll ever see in my lifetime. I'm quite proud to say I watched them play live, when they were coming from 2-0 down rather than 1-0'ing their way to victory.

seb146

Mon May 02, 2016 10:12 pm

I watched the last 20 minutes of the Chelsea match and it got ugly at the end. Congratulations to Leicester! There is hope for the Cubs, after all.