Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSA53
Topic Author

The Great Keith Emerson Dies From ELP

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Local radio KLOS-FM has broken with heart felt news that Keith Emerson has died.What a bad week in rock.Lost George Martin.Rush announced the it was retiring and now the death of Keith Emerson.

IMHO,Emerson was rock's greatest pianist/keyboardist in which ELP could be called the professional musician band.

RIP Keith Emerson.Sob!Sob!

[Edited 2016-03-11 14:38:22]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

ArmitageShanks

RE: The Great Keith Emerson Dies From ELP

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm

Wow, we're really going out on a limb with these RIP threads nowadays.

Revelation

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Quoting psa53 (Thread starter):
Local radio KLOS-FM has broken with heart felt news that Keith Emerson has died.What a bad week in rock.Lost George Martin.Rush announced the it was retiring and now the death of Keith Emerson.

IMHO,Emerson was rock's greatest pianist/keyboardist in which ELP could be called the professional musician band.

RIP Keith Emerson.Sob!Sob!

Sorry, psa53, seems I was writing my post at the same time you were.

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):
Wow, we're really going out on a limb with these RIP threads nowadays.

Keith Emerson was one of the most talented and influential and creative keyboardists to ever live.

Your post is not covering you in glory, IMHO.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Another star from the classic rock era has died.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...er-keyboardist-dead-at-71-20160311

Not exactly the way you want your obit to read:

Quote:
TMZ reported that police found Emerson with a single gunshot wound to the head, though they could not confirm that Emerson died by suicide.

He suffered a hand injury a few years ago that prevented him from playing to his own great standard. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Known as 'Emo' to his fans, he's most often associated with ELP's version of Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man", which features him wailing away on the synthesizers of the mid 70's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpnlLz7WR0

That song has been heard as the background music of countless sports pieces and documentaries.

I'm more a fan of the Trilogy era music, such as Keith doing another electronic version of an Aaron Copeland piece, Hoedown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCniNYZoFg

Keith made so many of us so hopeful about what electronic music could be, but alas, it's fallen so short of the promise he and others gave us.

RIP, Keith, we'll always remember you as the giant you were!

[Edited 2016-03-11 14:55:33]

PSA53
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:17 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 2):

Sorry, psa53, seems I was writing my post at the same time you were.

No problem.I posted on my twitter page " Farewell To Arms" and Kran Evil #9 1st impression,PT 2.I grew up with ELP.

[Edited 2016-03-11 15:18:42]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

Revelation

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:35 pm

Quoting psa53 (Reply 4):
No problem.

Thank you, friend.

Quoting psa53 (Reply 4):
I posted on my twitter page " Farewell To Arms" and Kran Evil #9 1st impression,PT 2.

Indeed. The minute I read about this I had to play 'Trilogy'.

Quoting psa53 (Reply 4):
I grew up with ELP.

Me too. I was in the orchestra back in my school days in the early 70s. My brother had bought a copy of 'Trilogy' and when I first heard it I immediately connected with it. Keith's playing was so wonderful, so multi-dimensional, so creative!

It'd be so nice if our old friend Superfly de-cloaked and shared his impressions with us.

ER757

Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:40 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 3):
I'm more a fan of the Trilogy era music, such as Keith doing another electronic version of an Aaron Copeland piece, Hoedown:

I have fond memories of that album - my 1st girlfriend gave it to me as a Christmas present. I played "Hoedown" for my Dad because he was always referring to the music I listened to as "noise" so I said, OK, here's one by a composer you listen to.

Flighty

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:10 am

This is starting to suck. Not a massive Keith fan but look at the massive metal Yamaha keyboard he was touring with in the 70s. Truly psycho. The rock heroes are reaching their expiration dates. Nothing can stop it...

steeler83

Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 am

I guess Keith was the one who played the synthesizer in some of their songs?

Oooo what a lucky man Keith Emerson was. May he rest in peace.  
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

PanHAM

Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:03 am

At first I thought that ELP is a deadly disease. Could native Speakers please get their grammar right?
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

scbriml

Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 9):
At first I thought that ELP is a deadly disease.

That was my initial reaction as well - "What the heck is ELP?"   

Anyway, sadly another of my childhood heroes passes.   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

rfields5421

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Yes, and no.

People have always been dying, including a lot of famous people.

Those who are passing now however tend to be our age or slightly older than many of us. (Many of us have children older than you, some grandchildren older.) People who were our heros, who influenced our lives, who greatly entertained us in our formative teenage or early 20s years.

Many of them meant a lot to us at the time, and their passing is a sad sign that also our days on this third rock from the sun are nearing an end. Keith Emerson means nothing to my 41 year old son, or to my 20 year old granddaughter. But ELP, and Emerson, was HUGE for me at the time.

If you don't know the name, it is likely their passing means little or nothing to you. Reading the thread is only a minor history lesson.
Not all who wander are lost.

Revelation

Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:01 pm

Quoting steeler83 (Reply 8):
I guess Keith was the one who played the synthesizer in some of their songs?
Quoting scbriml (Reply 10):
That was my initial reaction as well - "What the heck is ELP?"
Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 11):
Reading the thread is only a minor history lesson.

Indeed, my point of putting reply 3 in this thread was to provide a bit of Keith's story and music, for those who care to click on the links I provided.

Most of us develop attachments to the music that was popular during our formative years.

For me and many of my age group that music was strongly influenced by Keith Emerson, George Martin, and David Bowie.

Another was Yes's Chris Squire.

All had good trips on this planet, and I honor their memory.

johns624

Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 11):
Those who are passing now however tend to be our age or slightly older than many of us

I agree. You know that you're getting older when you can't make up excuses for people your age dying. When you're young, people usually die from accidents or other stupid things. You can always shrug it off with "they did something dumb that I would never do". Then, when you're in your 30-40's, it's easy to excuse by "they ate/smoked/drank way too much". When you get into your 50-60's, you can't excuse it as easily because the people dying are just like you. Much of the time, it's genetics, which you have no control over. It sucks.

rfields5421

Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:54 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 12):
Most of us develop attachments to the music that was popular during our formative years.

Something else young folks can't comprehend - when we were growing up we didn't have video games, social networks, nor unlimited telephone plans.

Most of us were limited to one or two phone calls per day, and they had to be short duration - 5 minutes or less. We certainly could not make long distance calls to friends frequently.

One of our major sources of entertainment was 'garage bands'. Most of us knew we could not be actors, but maybe we could be musicians. We tried to play guitar, drums, keyboards. We tried to sing. We were usually pretty bad, but it was a great way to spend time with friends and grow up. So actual real musicians like Emerson were major influences on our lives.

ArmitageShanks

Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:58 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 14):
Something else young folks can't comprehend

That's a pretty bold statement. So you're saying the appreciation of musical talent doesn't exist today like it did in your time? How ridiculous.

One of our major sources of entertainment was 'garage bands'.

It still is. Certainly for me. There are more "garage" bands out there today than ever. Heck, there are more bands playing more types of music than ever before. Contrary to popular opinion today, like always, is the best time for music. The big difference is that, thanks to the internet, every garage band can now show their talent (or lack of) to the world.

johns624

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:01 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 15):
That's a pretty bold statement. So you're saying the appreciation of musical talent doesn't exist today like it did in your time? How ridiculous

If that's the case, then why did you post this...

Wow, we're really going out on a limb with these RIP threads nowadays

If you appreciated real musicians and the history of rock and roll, you would know what a giant Keith Emerson was. He wasn't some nobody from a second rate fly-b-night band.
I remember 30 years ago, watching a PBS special with my Father (in his 60's at the time) and they had Emerson playing. My father said, "he can really play the organ" and he didn't care for rock at all

steeler83

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:10 am

Indeed, my point of putting reply 3 in this thread was to provide a bit of Keith's story and music, for those who care to click on the links I provided.

D'oh. I'm such a dunce some times. Shouldn't have skipped ahead...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

coolian2

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:20 am

Quoting johns624 (Reply 16):
If you appreciated real musicians

See, this is where the older generations lose it with us "younger people".

I love "real musicians", but I also really enjoy a lot of new music coming through. Back when I had a car my radio was set to a station that was almost exclusively new music and I really enjoyed it - but it didn't stop me pulling out The Beatles, U2, Springstreen et al.

I know it's a near impossibility for boomers, but try being less condescending.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

johns624

Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:58 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 18):
See, this is where the older generations lose it with us "younger people".

You misinterpreted what I meant. I was replying to both his quotes. He first said that he appreciated musical talent but then made it seem like Emerson's death was no big deal. I was just saying that if he really knew musical talent, then he would understand what a great loss it was,

rfields5421

Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:50 pm

So you're saying the appreciation of musical talent doesn't exist today like it did in your time?

No. I'm saying times were very different.

We did garage bands, and hung out at the places where they practiced. It was our social center. It was music only a few years old at the most, and we wanted to know how they made such sounds.

We didn't have video (heck, I didn't see the JFK Zapruder film until 1988, did not see the first men on the moon until 1989 - because if you missed it live - you never got to see repeat airings.)

We had to try to guess how Jimi Hendrix made those sounds, because we could only get sheet music. Purple Haze don't sound anything close to the same if you play it straight from sheet music.

Our main music source was to listen to AM radio. Vinyl records were too expensive and too fragile to play at slow motion or repeat too much because of wear. We had home made amps, and three or four guys had to pool their money to afford a Stratocaster, or drum set or keyboard.

I remember when Hey Jude came out, and we spent an afternoon with the radio station where I worked 45 rpm record trying to make sheet music of the song. The best of us played songs by ear. I was never close to that.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:50 am

Sounds like every generation ever. We all have our tastes. I don't think much of current music I hear on the radio. My grandfather used to say all the music from the 60s was being sung by men who sounded like women and wouldn't be able to read sheet music in any case. I have actually heard some good new music, it just never makes it to the radio.

PS : Nickleback still sucks.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

rfields5421

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:02 am

Yes, every generation has its on version of the growing up experience, and also each generation sees the world change as technology erases many of the boundaries between us.

Emerson was a great musician of my generation, a great musician of any generation. It's just so sad to see the world lose him.

But as someone noted above it hits some of us harder because they are our contemporaries.

Today I visited the graveyard where we buried my father on Nov 30. After talking with him and my mother for a while, I walked through the small town, 3 acre graveyard. And noted two new graves - of people a year or two younger than me. Younger kids when I was growing up. I know the graves of the friends I lost due to accidents or horribly tragic diseases at a young age. As was said above, today the new graves are being filled with people I grew up with, whose health luck ran out.

My father lived to age 90, and one of the 'problems' was that there were only three people left in our home town that could be considered his generation. He was the last WWII vet from my hometown to die. The last few years, he felt really lonely, because everyone else was gone. Only his family, his six children, his eight grandchildren, his eleven greatgrandchildren.

Flighty

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:13 am

Another was Yes's Chris Squire.

Squire. Man that sucks. He was a giant. His background vocals, just for one thing. He knew how music works. That is so rare. Most famous bands don't have a single person as talented. The Beatles had two. Lez Zeppelin had maybe one. The Rolling Stones, one (although Bill Wyman was actually very very talented)...

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 22):
He was the last WWII vet from my hometown to die. The last few years, he felt really lonely, because everyone else was gone. Only his family, his six children, his eight grandchildren, his eleven greatgrandchildren.

Enjoyed your posts, fields 5421. I grew up before social media. I was 23 when I joined Facebook and was one of the first probably 20,000 people on it. We didn't have cell phones.

To today's kids, these facts are all ludicrous. As for old age -- while not yet an expert -- when I am 75 I will think hard about biting the pill an 85, if I should get there in good health, it will be time to bite down.

You know well probably that the years after 85 aren't worth a whole lot of trouble (but the suffering can be the greatest of our lives).

Revelation

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:03 pm

So you're saying the appreciation of musical talent doesn't exist today like it did in your time?

No, all he said was that young people today have a lot of other things they can do with their time that weren't options back in classic rock era, so music is not as central to many of their lives. Given our relative lack of choice, the few relatively few musicians we had access to were highly valued.

How ridiculous.

It would be nice if you could express disagreement without resorting to ridicule.

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 18):
try being less condescending.

Try being more understanding, a little bit of understanding and respect for others goes a long way.

IMissPiedmont

Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:54 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 24):

He will. Hopefully looking back and laughing because he will do the same.

PS: U2 still sucks.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

DIRECTFLT

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Keith, you left us too soon ! ! ! !

I remember well attending the ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" concert in Dallas in 1974. Quad Speakers. Very Loud, even in the "cheap" seats.

My favorite ELP release is their live compilation from that tour, "Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends, Ladies & Gentlemen: Emerson, Lake & Palmer". "Hoedown", "Tarkus ", "Take A Pebble", and "Jerusalem" are standouts, imo, from that triple LP set.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling