Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SoJo
Topic Author

Top Gear... Not A Good Start

Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Utterly disrespectful IMO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35800187

How did they allow this to happen?
RAF Abingdon 1967. I met Beverley from Blackburn. Fantastic!

moo

RE: Top Gear... Not A Good Start

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Quoting SoJo (Thread starter):
How did they allow this to happen?

Its a road, they were doing donuts all over London as part of a "Matt Le Blanc tourist trip intro to London" piece.

Frankly, people are over reacting to this - 364 days out of most years (365 days this year) the Cenotaph is forgotten and treated like rubbish by most Londoners, it gets its special day once a year and that's it. The rest of the time its just another ornament on London's streets and gets treated as such. People climb it, pee on it, sleep on it, graffiti it.

Doing donuts near it is much less of an issue than what it normally goes through.

Interesting that there is outcry over this, but nothing about doing donuts by St Pauls, which *is* a cemetery and place of worship!

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:10 pm

"The images on the front pages of the papers today - it doesn't matter what actually happened - what is important is what these images look like," he said.

I hate statements like that. It doesn't matter what actually happened? Really?

Other than that, to be honest, I don't really understand the controversy.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ArmitageShanks

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:38 pm

What a ridiculous story. People get "outraged" about the dumbest things.

jetwet1

Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:46 pm

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 2):

To be fair, to the majority of people, perception is reality, so I can understand where he is coming from.

Have someone do doughnuts through Arlington Cemetery and see the outcry.

I will say this, having grown up in London, there are whole areas of the city where you can't throw a rock and not hit a memorial of some kind.

Quoting moo (Reply 1):
Frankly, people are over reacting to this - 364 days out of most years (365 days this year) the Cenotaph is forgotten and treated like rubbish by most Londoners, it gets its special day once a year and that's it.

I understand what you are saying and 20 years ago I would have agreed, however, having had friends from both the US and UK go into war zones and lose their lives, I take the memorials a lot more seriously.

Kiwirob

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:49 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 3):

What a ridiculous story. People get "outraged" about the dumbest things.

Better ask the op as he is outraged over this non event.

ltbewr

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:09 pm

I would make more about that these stunts occurred potential terrorism targets, the Centopath is very close Downing Street, where the PM lives.
Sounds like they are doing things intentionally controversial and not politically correct to get free attention for the new version of Top Gear. As a old (and kinda dumb) saying in show biz goes, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

vikkyvik

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 4):

To be fair, to the majority of people, perception is reality, so I can understand where he is coming from.

That's exactly my point. Why make statements that support that kind of attitude? Buying right into judging a book by its cover.

Have someone do doughnuts through Arlington Cemetery and see the outcry.

If Top Gear was doing doughnuts on public roads near Arlington Cemetery, I honestly wouldn't care, and I'd say the same thing - I don't really understand the controversy.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

moo

Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:51 am

I understand what you are saying and 20 years ago I would have agreed, however, having had friends from both the US and UK go into war zones and lose their lives, I take the memorials a lot more seriously.

They weren't doing donuts on the memorial, they were doing donuts on the road a hundred yards away from the memorial. The memorial was not touched, damaged or even in any BBC footage - it only appeared in journalist shots from specific angles.

So, tell me, how far away from a memorial is "appropriate" to not have to act solemn and pious? 100 yards apparently is not enough, so 200 yards? 500 yards? A mile?

This is all manufactured outrage.

To be honest, my main issue with all of this when I read the original article was Matt Le Blanc being described as a "Top Gear star"... the series hasn't even aired yet...

GDB

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 8):
They weren't doing donuts on the memorial, they were doing donuts on the road a hundred yards away from the memorial. The memorial was not touched, damaged or even in any BBC footage - it only appeared in journalist shots from specific angles.

So, tell me, how far away from a memorial is "appropriate" to not have to act solemn and pious? 100 yards apparently is not enough, so 200 yards? 500 yards? A mile?

This is all manufactured outrage.

Yes, by the press, it's a BBC production after all.

Bongodog1964

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:15 pm

Some of the mock outrage over this is hilarious , one member of parliament said "Jeremy Clarkson would never have done this" Of course not he would have been too busy racially insulting and then punching an assistant producer   

jetwet1

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:53 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 8):

There is no right answer for that, you know that, I know that, there are plenty of areas in London where doing doughnuts wouldn't raise an eyebrow, Whitehall isn't one of them.

Quoting moo (Reply 8):
To be honest, my main issue with all of this when I read the original article was Matt Le Blanc being described as a "Top Gear star"... the series hasn't even aired yet...

So true, as good as he is in Episodes, calling him the star of anything is going way to far.

kasimir

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 1):
Frankly, people are over reacting to this - 364 days out of most years (365 days this year) the Cenotaph is forgotten and treated like rubbish by most Londoners, it gets its special day once a year and that's it. The rest of the time its just another ornament on London's streets and gets treated as such. People climb it, pee on it, sleep on it, graffiti it.

Totally agree, I don't get it either, its just ridiculous...

Anyway, I'm quite interested how the new Top Gear will be, even if I will miss the old gang  

moo

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
There is no right answer for that, you know that, I know that, there are plenty of areas in London where doing doughnuts wouldn't raise an eyebrow, Whitehall isn't one of them.

Why not? Its just a road.

Again I point out that no one gave a toss that it was also done outside St Pauls Cathedral, where there are *actual* bodies buried...

So, enough of the fake outrage please.

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
Quoting moo (Reply 8):So, tell me, how far away from a memorial is "appropriate" to not have to act solemn and pious? 100 yards apparently is not enough, so 200 yards? 500 yards? A mile?
There is no right answer for that

So why get outraged about it then? Obviously people's opinions will differ on the appropriate distance, if there isn't a right answer.

sturmovik

Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 6):
Sounds like they are doing things intentionally controversial and not politically correct to get free attention for the new version of Top Gear.

Meh. They're not doing a proper job. Top Gear isn't Top Gear unless entire countries are pissed off and ambassadors are being summoned.    
'What's it doing now?'

SoJo
Topic Author

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 13):
So, enough of the fake outrage please.

Fake outrage? You all seem so blasé. But, for me, it stinks. Stunts like this should not be allowed near any National Monument. But, there again, I'm just old and respect for the fallen was part of my upbringing. Must be nice to be so flippant about this.

Oh well... That's life I suppose.

ArmitageShanks

Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:05 pm

Quoting SoJo (Reply 16):
Stunts like this should not be allowed near any National Monument.

How far should it be? Should the buses, taxis, and public traffic that surround it be stopped? If not, should we discourage or ban any mirthful conversation while within a certain distance if one is on a bus or taxi that passes within view of the monument? I mean, where do we draw the line?

Quoting SoJo (Reply 16):
But, there again, I'm just old and respect for the fallen was part of my upbringing.

That's a cheap excuse "old people" use all the time. People were exactly the same in 1845 or 1945 as they are today. Some were dicks, some weren't.

vikkyvik

Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:23 am

Quoting SoJo (Reply 16):
But, there again, I'm just old and respect for the fallen was part of my upbringing. Must be nice to be so flippant about this.

Respect for the fallen has very little to do with outrage over a Top Gear stunt on a public street near a memorial.

SoJo
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 17):
That's a cheap excuse "old people" use all the time.

Typical youngsters reply they use all the time. Top Gear rules Heh

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 am

Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

trident3

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:24 pm

Trailer for the new series is up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWcEjj0w3s
and YouTube viewers don't like it
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

zkojq

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:59 am

People always seem to be lining up to throw new Top Gear under the bus.

Quoting moo (Reply 8):

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 10):
Of course not he would have been too busy racially insulting and then punching an assistant producer

Lol, indeed.

Quoting trident3 (Reply 21):
Trailer for the new series is up

Looks as good as any of the previous trailers.
First to fly the 787-9

DIJKKIJK

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:46 pm

Top Gear won't be the same without Jeremy, James, Richard and their sense of humor.

The new guys seem like jokers in comparison.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.