Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

European Public Enemy N°1 Salah Abdeslam Arrested

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:01 am

Yesterday, after four months on the run, Frenchman Salah Abdeslam was arrested during an anti-terrorist raid in the Molenbeek area of Brussels, known as a hotbed for all kinds of unsavory things, linked to radical Islam or not.

He played a main role in last November Paris attacks : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salah_Abdeslam

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/19/wo...ah-abdeslam-belgium-apartment.html

He's alive, that's a good thing.

No virgins for you !

AirPacific747

RE: European Public Enemy N°1 Salah Abdeslam Arrested

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:38 am

Crazy how he's managed to hide in Belgium for all this time (presumably) when there were speculations that he had left for the ME.

Shows just how isolated these parallel societies in certain areas in Europe are. It's hard to believe that nobody knew who he was and where he was hiding. Actually probably many people were aware and chose to remain silent.

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:51 am

I don't know if many people knew, but apparently he was given up by someone he had contacted for help.

L410Turbolet

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:54 am

Quoting Aesma (Thread starter):

Excellent! Now they can "slam" him with some typically European (read laughable) prison sentence...

Signed, Breivik

AirPacific747

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:06 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 2):
I don't know if many people knew, but apparently he was given up by someone he had contacted for help.

....after several months of hiding....

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:15 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 3):

Excellent! Now they can "slam" him with some typically European (read laughable) prison sentence...

Signed, Breivik

I guess France isn't typical as he will get life in prison.

aloges

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:51 am

Seems like he tried his "best" to be killed in action, but to no avail. Kudos and a big thank you to the officers who caught him!

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 1):
Shows just how isolated these parallel societies in certain areas in Europe are. It's hard to believe that nobody knew who he was and where he was hiding. Actually probably many people were aware and chose to remain silent.

There's all sorts of underground activities. Hell's Angels, neo-Nazis, religious fundamentalists and many others have frighteningly effective support networks.

DIJKKIJK

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:56 am

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):
Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 3):

Signed, Breivik

and France's prisons are real prisons. Not like the holiday resorts that pass off as prisons in Scandinavian countries.

aerorobnz

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:29 pm

I agree it's better to keep him alive - death is too quick and easy, however I hope they prolong his suffering in prison by using him as a medical test subject instead of guinea pigs and rabbits in order to pay back his debt to society, maybe swap a few pig organs for his own so they can be donated - that sort of thing...

Pyrex

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:32 pm

Now he can experience the laughable European prison system.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):

Problem is, he was caught in Belgium... not sure how Belgium works, but in Portugal (and I guess many other European countries) you cannot extradite anyone to a country where they would be sentenced to "inhuman" (i.e., actual) prison sentences.

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 8):
and France's prisons are real prisons. Not like the holiday resorts that pass off as prisons in Scandinavian countries.

What he needs is a guillotine (preferably a small one so you could start off by chopping his tiny wiener). Barring that, Devil's Island. I presume none of those are viable options any more?

Scorpio

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 10):
Problem is, he was caught in Belgium... not sure how Belgium works, but in Portugal (and I guess many other European countries) you cannot extradite anyone to a country where they would be sentenced to "inhuman" (i.e., actual) prison sentences.

Is there a particular reason you are knowingly writing absolute nonsense?

LSZH34

Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Anything else than a life imprisonment would be a scandal. And I don't trust the european justice system to pull this one through...

aloges

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 12):
the european justice system

The what now? There is no such thing. There is such a thing as European Courts, but IIRC, none of those will even get close to being involved until such time as the PIWN* in question has gone through the entire French justice system and still wants to appeal.

* Perpetrator I Won't Name - because that would mean he's made a name for himself

Pyrex

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 11):
Is there a particular reason you are knowingly writing absolute nonsense?

What absolute nonsense... I told clearly upfront I have no idea how the judicial system in Belgium works. Are you somehow more of an expert on the Portuguese judicial system (which would never extradite someone to serve a life sentence anywhere in the world) than I am?

Scorpio

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 14):
What absolute nonsense... I told clearly upfront I have no idea how the judicial system in Belgium works. Are you somehow more of an expert on the Portuguese judicial system (which would never extradite someone to serve a life sentence anywhere in the world) than I am?

Let's see that Portuguese law that states that they don't extradite anyone if there's a chance that country will put them in prison.

L410Turbolet

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 5):
he will get life in prison.

Does "life in prison" mean that - if sentenced - he will never set foot outside of a prison again? ...or does it mean that some foolish activist judge may release him in 20, 30 years when he is still young enough to start a second life?

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:12 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 16):
Does "life in prison" mean that - if sentenced - he will never set foot outside of a prison again? ...or does it mean that some foolish activist judge may release him in 20, 30 years when he is still young enough to start a second life?

Usually 22 years, but 30 years for a few crimes including terrorist murders, and can be extended indefinitely after that.

GrahamHill

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:53 pm

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 10):

Abdeslam was under a European arrest warrant, which apparently facilitates extraditions between EU countries.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...T/HTML/?uri=URISERV:l33167&from=FR

OA260

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 pm

He seems to be appealing against being sent back to France. In cases like this where it is terrorist related there should be emergency rules where Belgium can hand him over to the French within hours if they want to. His human rights should be ignored and it is not that France is a rouge nation that will torture him. Ironic that due to Schengen one can walk across the border with no ID but someone can plant a bomb or launch a terror attack in the same zone and they cant be transferred right away without all this red tape.

Aesma
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 pm

France and Belgium have been cooperating from the start so I'm sure any question that needs to be asked is already being asked. In fact we're already getting plenty of answers in the media.

Scorpio

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 19):
His human rights should be ignored

No they should not.

OA260

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:45 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 21):

Then they make a mockery of the laws and find all the loopholes. All very well have this weak idealist attitude but it is different times now and he like any others do not deserve them. Emergency powers for emergency times.

Scorpio

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 22):
Then they make a mockery of the laws and find all the loopholes. All very well have this weak idealist attitude but it is different times now and he like any others do not deserve them. Emergency powers for emergency times.

So your solution to an ideology that diametrically opposes our own, and would like nothing more than to tear down our society and all the principles it was built upon is basically to bend over and give them a head start.

Not me. The very second we give up the very principles of the rule of law, which is what you're proposing, they'll have won. And that'll be over my dead body.

aloges

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:26 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 22):
this weak idealist attitude

It is not an attitude, least of all a weak idealist one, but one of the foundations of our societies here in Europe: the rule of law. We already have laws that grant the authorities special powers in times of national emergecies and we already have laws that send terrorists to jail. There's little, if any, need to change those laws.

If you want a society where someone is not treated in accordance with the law because public opinion is (rightfully) against him, I suggest moving to e.g. Turkey. Just mind the terrorist attacks that are caused by exactly this extralegal treatment.

L410Turbolet

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:29 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 17):
Usually 22 years, but 30 years for a few crimes including terrorist murders, and can be extended indefinitely after that.

Then a bullet would be a much cheaper solution how to deal with this scumbag...

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 23):
So your solution to an ideology that diametrically opposes our own, and would like nothing more than to tear down our society and all the principles it was built upon

I don't know about OA, but this seems to be Merkel's idea how to create "her Europa".

GrahamHill

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:34 pm

So your solution to an ideology that diametrically opposes our own, and would like nothing more than to tear down our society and all the principles it was built upon is basically to bend over and give them a head start.

Not me. The very second we give up the very principles of the rule of law, which is what you're proposing, they'll have won. And that'll be over my dead body.

I agree. We can't lower ourselves to the same level as these animals. We won't trample on our values and laws that we've been building over centuries just because a few lunatics killed some of our people.

He'll get a fair trial and justice will be done.

LSZH34

Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 13):

I was referring to the general weak sentencing of criminals in certain european countries. These trials are a platform for such criminals. Look at Breivik and even Abdeslam. He already denies his transfer to France. In all honesty, people like these don't deserve to have a say. Sit, get sentenced and off to your cell. Don't get me wrong, I'm against death penalty. I don't give him the joy of dying as a martyr.

Quoting Aesma (Reply 17):

So indefinite it will be right? Or should he only get ca. 0.5 years imprisonment per murder?

In their eyes they already won. Tolerance and fairness, unlike here, are a sign of weakness in this culture. They don't care. They get executed, they die as a martyr. If they get sentenced for life, they abuse our system like Breivik does now.

aloges

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 27):
I was referring to the general weak sentencing of criminals in certain european countries.

What weak sentencing? AFAIK, the Norwegian terrorist will spend 21 years in prison and then go into preventive detention. That means he'll never walk free again. Seems like something similar is in store for the French one.

So what do you want? Revenge?

These trials are a platform for such criminals.

How so? They're what is prescribed by the law. The defendant gets his say, that's how it's supposed to be.

He already denies his transfer to France.

Let him. Won't do him much good, by the looks of it.

In all honesty, people like these don't deserve to have a say. Sit, get sentenced and off to your cell.

Why do you want the French to undermine their own justice system for this particular defendant? We're supposed to be equal before the law, that kind of thing is important.

In their eyes they already won.

That would be the eyes of some severely psychotic people. We need to be kept safe from them, not to take revenge on them.

If they get sentenced for life, they abuse our system like [the Norwegian] does now.

I'd rather have a system where every incarcerated person can appeal than one where that right is denied to some individuals at the discretion of other individuals.

Revelation

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:26 pm

He already denies his transfer to France.

This has been mentioned a few times here, and I don't see why it bothers people so much.

It's a simple procedural thing that must be done, and it won't impact this case at all.

Airstud

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:09 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 28):
The defendant gets his say, that's how it's supposed to be.

Especially for the entertainment value, when it comes to Islamist wackos. Let's not forget Zacarias Moussaoui's [sp?] demand yes DEMAND that we "must personally book a fly ticket on 747-400, 1st class non smoking, no women" for him to leave this country (that no one forced him to enter    ).

I really think we should have arranged a flight on a 747-400, non smoking obviously, and even meet the "no women" part of the demand, only difference is, his ticket would have been for coach.

Just to see his response...

Aesma
Topic Author

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 am

I was referring to the general weak sentencing of criminals in certain european countries. These trials are a platform for such criminals. Look at Breivik and even Abdeslam. He already denies his transfer to France. In all honesty, people like these don't deserve to have a say. Sit, get sentenced and off to your cell. Don't get me wrong, I'm against death penalty. I don't give him the joy of dying as a martyr.

Actually the victims and the parents of victims are very happy to have a trial. In France we even added trials for people unfit mentally to stand them, just for the victims' sake.

Pyrex

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:33 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 14):
Let's see that Portuguese law that states that they don't extradite anyone if there's a chance that country will put them in prison.

Where did I say they could not extradite people to a country that would put them in prison? What I said was they won't extradite someone to a country that will sentence them to "inhuman" sentences - in particular, Portugal will not extradite someone to a country where someone might have to serve a life sentence or any sort of indefinite sentence unless the country in question agrees not to impose that sentence. Says right so on the Portuguese Constitution, article 33, paragraph 4, and has been affirmed multiple times in court. Is that enough of a law for you?

http://www.parlamento.pt/Legislacao/...nstituicaoRepublicaPortuguesa.aspx

Paragraph 6 of the same article also says someone cannot be extradited for a country where they may face a death sentence for the crime they committed (in that case there isn't even a qualifier around the promise from the other country not to apply that sentence, as there is for countries where there is a life sentence).

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 24):
Then a bullet would be a much cheaper solution how to deal with this scumbag...

In this case it does appear a shame they caught him alive, yes. With all the good rifles they make in Belgium at FN and nobody was able to put a bullet in him?

MD11Engineer

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:23 am

I call this b*llsh*t. If he was intelligent, he had as few people as possible to know his real identity, and as he was sent to Europe by IS, he had probably a number of false passports and ID cards under different names availble to him and a network of safe houses. As he looks Middle staern, it also makes sense to hide in a neigbourhood where most people look like him, as not to stick out, and where th police is not welcome.
This doesn't mean that the neighbours or the whole street was aware of who he really was.
The more people know about the true identity, the more likely it is that somebody will grass him up to the police.
In many towns there are districts, where people have an aversion against state authority. E.g. in the high immigrant and high anarchist district of Kreuzberg in Berlin, police has been seen since the 1980s as the enforcement tool of the rich real estate owners to push out the previously rather poor inhabitants. This district is since decades rules by the Green party. Now this atitude is biting them in the @rrse, as some criminal gangs of newly arrived fake asylum seekers from Northern Africa are terrorising the touristy places of this district and drug dealing has flourished, as the drug dealers see the district a an essentially police free zone. Locals, both Germans and long time imigrats, many of them shop owners of Turkish or Arab descent, who want to earn from the tousists, are talking about forming citizen's patrols if the district government (still very anarchist minded and anti-police) will not get it's act together and bring in more police.

Here in Germany last year there were two bungled attempts in holding up valuable transports. In both cases DNA police found traces leading to communist terrorists of the disbanded Red Army Faction, which was very active between the 1970s andthe 1990s, but nobody knows under which identities and where they are living today. Police suspects that they committed the robberies to gain money to live of, as they can hardly apply for a pension and they will be in their 60s now. This means that we have a bunch of armed grandparents, some of them murderers, hiding out, probably in plain sight, since more than 30 years.
I have heard similar stories about Irish ex-IRA members and Basque ETA members.

Jan

AirPacific747

Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:31 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 32):
I call this b*llsh*t.

Go ahead. It doesn't change the cold facts. There's just been a documentary here where undercover journalists have been secretly filming in many mosques and in all of them, violence is being preached.

Stoning is supported.
Multiple wives is being supported.
Women can not refuse to sleep with their husband.
They are being told they should never involve the police.
Women can not work with men and shouldn't generally work and are encouraged to seek benefits. Which they do. 8 out of 10 women here with a ethnic background from a non western country are jobless and receiving benefits.

And it is not only supported, but also preached. Please stop being so naive. It's all documented on video.

Scorpio

Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:41 am

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 31):
Where did I say they could not extradite people to a country that would put them in prison?

Here:

Quote:
in Portugal (and I guess many other European countries) you cannot extradite anyone to a country where they would be sentenced to "inhuman" (i.e., actual) prison sentences.

In other words, you LITERALLY said it: you said they don't extradite to countries that impose 'inhuman' prison sentences, and then clarified what was meant with 'inhuman', and said 'inhuman' means 'actual'.

Quoting Pyrex (Reply 31):
Is that enough of a law for you?

Well no, since that clearly doesn't say what you first claimed it said.

pvjin

Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:57 am

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 34):
In other words, you LITERALLY said it: you said they don't extradite to countries that impose 'inhuman' prison sentences, and then clarified what was meant with 'inhuman', and said 'inhuman' means 'actual'.

Some people do deserve those sentences. It's a goddamn joke we can't send ISIS terrorists captured in Finland to Iraq because those poor oppressed mass murderers could get a death sentence there.

Who defines inhumane anyway? Through the history of mankind death sentence has been in very wide use for the worst offenders no matter what time or location you look at, that makes it seem very humane to me. Death sentence simply works and is good for the society when used right and in a responsible manner, it helps protecting ordinary people from the very worst bad apples of the society.

[Edited 2016-03-20 02:59:01]

GDB

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:32 am

Aside from all this BS about how life is so easy for prisoners in some European nations (if so, please explain Brevik's constant bitching), this Mr Abdeslam not only wussed out of detonating his own suicide vest of the day of attacks (his ISIS sponsors even claiming his attack not knowing he'd done a runner) but seems to be willing to cooperate.
He probably would prefer to stay in Belgium as not only was France the country he attacked but the French police have been known to be 'robust' in questioning.
He won't want to end up doing life in a French prison, not only seen as a terrorist by some inmates but as a failure and coward, worse for them, a cooperator, by any fellow Islamists in the prison, he'll get it from both sides.

OA260

Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:42 am

Lawyer defending Salah Abdeslam says he will sue French prosecutor for divulging Abdeslam's private admission he planned to blow himself up.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak

LSZH34

Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 37):

Here we go again...

OA260

Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:55 pm

Brussels minister says Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam was planning "something in Brussels"

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak

I guess he will sue them for revealing that too.  

AirPacific747

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 6):
activities. Hell's Angels, neo-Nazis, religious fundamentalists and many others have frighteningly effective support networks.

And?

What a strange logic.

"No officer, I shouldn't be punished for speeding because that guy was also speeding".

aloges

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 40):
"No officer, I shouldn't be punished for speeding because that guy was also speeding".

That is indeed a strange kind of logic, but it isn't mine at all. Why would you think it is? I simply added to what you had said:

The point is that extremism of various varieties is threatening people's safety in Europe, with underground support available to many of the perpetrators. The German "National Socialist Underground" is/was one example of a parallel society in a certain area of Europe.

One way to address the issue of parallel socities is to make them targets, which tends to give mixed results. That is to say: it usually ends up a complete and utter shambles, like it did in Northern Ireland and the Basque Country. Another way is to get the societies to intermingle, which doesn't make anyone's utopia a reality either, but takes the edge off the existing dystopia. In this particular case, the door to the sort of echo chamber that radicalises young Muslims needs to be pried open, not bolted shut.

DIRECTFLT

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 am

Have our American water board "specialists" assist in the terrorist's interrogation at some undisclosed location in the EU.

AirPacific747

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:13 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 41):
The point is that extremism of various varieties is threatening people's safety in Europe, with underground support available to many of the perpetrators. The German "National Socialist Underground" is/was one example of a parallel society in a certain area of Europe.

But that's besides the topic of this thread. Let's keep the thread on the right track.

aloges

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 43):
But that's besides the topic of this thread. Let's keep the thread on the right track.

You really should have read the post in its entirety. Parallel societies in general are the problem, not the flavour of one of them. And if that's off topic, what is the Norwegian terrorist who was mentioned in reply no. 3?

AirPacific747

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:57 am

Quoting aloges (Reply 44):
You really should have read the post in its entirety. Parallel societies in general are the problem, not the flavour of one of them. And if that's off topic, what is the Norwegian terrorist who was mentioned in reply no. 3?

I disagree. This thread is about a so-called islamist. You're trying to change the subject to avoid having to deal with the cold facts.

The norwegian terrorist is also off-topic, but that was not a reply to my post. I only replied to your post as it was a reply to my post.

zckls04

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):

Except it's not an emergency.

winterlight

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 8):
I hope they prolong his suffering in prison by using him as a medical test subject instead of guinea pigs and rabbits in order to pay back his debt to society, maybe swap a few pig organs for his own so they can be donated - that sort of thing...

I'm all for the medical testing on this individual but would anyone want organs from this scumbag?

CrimsonNL

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:23 pm

And already he's trying to lessen his sentence in exchange for information. They should have either killed him during the arrest raid or have arrested him in secrecy and make him disappear.

Unfortunately the Western world has become too "civilized" to defend ourselves from barbarians like this.

Martijn

aloges

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:41 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 49):
They should have either killed him during the arrest raid or have arrested him in secrecy and make him disappear.

So in your view,

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 49):
to defend ourselves from barbarians like this

we must become barbaric like them. Glad that's cleared up, then.