wilcal
Topic Author

UA Pilot Arrested For Running Half Dozen Brothels

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Really sad situation. Employed 35-60 women and made them pay $400/week!

I would imagine he would be seeing significant jail time for this.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...-7012096.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

"A United Airlines pilot has been arrested for running a string of brothels in apartment complexes throughout Houston.
Bruce Wayne Wallis, 51, was charged with aggravated promotion of prostitution and engaging in criminal activity, accused of running about a half-dozen brothel apartments with six to 10 women in each one.
Court records show that the women advertised online and had to pay Wallis $400 a week to ply their trade.
Assistant Harris County District Attorney Lester Blizzard confirmed that Wallis was a pilot for United Airlines and said the criminal enterprise operation was "massive."
"It's the largest operation that I've ever worked on," he said. "(District Attorney) Devon Anderson's office takes these types of complex organized criminal activity cases seriously."
He said 26 search warrants were served in a flurry of activity culminating Wednesday with Wallis's arrest. He said 19 women were arrested for prostitution. No clients were arrested, he said.
Blizzard credited investigators with the Texas Department Public Safety and the human trafficking division of the Houston Police Department for cracking the case."

TWA772LR

RE: UA Pilot Arrested For Running Half Dozen Brothels

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:43 pm

Well you don't see that everyday!

This is definately gonna sting for UA.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ua900

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:46 pm

$14,400 - $24,000 a week, nice extra income. Makes that B6 F/A with the 60lbs of coke at LAX look like a pauper.
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

SCQ83

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Sad...

But I thought Texas was all for free enterprise

ua900

Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 3):
But I thought Texas was all for free enterprise

They are, that's why none of the customers got arrested. He wouldn't have gotten arrested had he had his "business" in Matamoros or Tijuana and paid his insurance bills on time.
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

aviatorcraig

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Maybe he could have organised "mile high club" events for his passengers  
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

wilcal
Topic Author

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm

I'm just hoping that he wasn't involved with trafficking any of these girls from central america. I would imagine some desperate people trusting an American major airline pilot about a job opportunity in the states. Pure conjecture of course.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 5):

To be honest, Harris County District Attorney (Houston area) has made a big push to arrest Johns, and I think I saw a story where they arrested 250+ in March.

Amiga500

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Quoting aviatorcraig (Reply 6):

The mile high pimp....

Rdh3e

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Quoting wilcal (Thread starter):
Bruce Wayne Wallis, 51

Bad combination of "Bruce Wayne" aka Batman and "Bruce Willis" ala diehard.

Amiga500

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Quoting Rdh3e (Reply 8):

Bad combination of "Bruce Wayne" aka Batman and "Bruce Willis" ala diehard.

Its why Superman is fighting Batman.

I just never knew it was a blue movie and John McClane was involved too...

Yippee Ki-Yay!

milemaster

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 1):
This is definately gonna sting for UA.

Why would it sting for UA? Is the airline somehow involved in some way?

[Edited 2016-03-24 11:39:53]

rlwynn

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Quoting milemaster (Reply 10):

They are 100% involved. Every story worldwide will have The United Airlines name in it.
I can drive faster than you

United787

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Why would it sting for UA? Are they somehow involved?

I can't imagine this would have any affect on UA unless... he was some how using his position as a pilot to direct clients to his other "business" or something like that...

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:49 pm

The fact that their name is being mentioned in an article from several major news outlets in the US relating to a huge prostituion ring can't be exactly labeled as good publicity.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ua900

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 12):
I can't imagine this would have any affect on UA unless... he was some how using his position as a pilot to direct clients to his other "business" or something like that...

Exactly, no impact on UA unless he:

1. Moved girls from Central America to the U.S. aboard company equipment
2. Ran drugs or some other sideline to the U.S. aboard company equipment (given his disregard for laws, appetite for extra cash and that recent F/A incident I don't think that's entirely implausible)
3. Gave 1Ks a discount or established a premier line for them  
Quoting wilcal (Reply 6):
To be honest, Harris County District Attorney (Houston area) has made a big push to arrest Johns, and I think I saw a story where they arrested 250+ in March.

That would be good, it's about the only thing that will put a stop of this type of activity.

BC77008

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Quoting wilcal (Reply 6):

I'm just hoping that he wasn't involved with trafficking any of these girls from central america. I would imagine some desperate people trusting an American major airline pilot about a job opportunity in the states. Pure conjecture of course.

I would imagine that these brothels were actually airline crew member crash pads and that many of the "girls" doing the work were flight attendants. That's just my best educated guess from what I've seen in crash pads.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

milemaster

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 11):
Every story worldwide will have The United Airlines name in it.

So? It's the action of an employee, not the airline itself. People are not idiots.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 13):
The fact that their name is being mentioned in an article from several major news outlets in the US relating to a huge prostituion ring can't be exactly labeled as good publicity.

Do you think people will change their flying habits with UA due to some isolated incident involving a bad apple pilot?

[Edited 2016-03-24 11:58:13]

pygmalion

Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Quoting milemaster (Reply 16):
Do you think people will change their flying habits with UA due to some isolated bad apple pilot?

Most probably wont... Some people definitely will. Its just human nature. Some grandma will wonder if her pilot is a pimp and will take another airline.

BC77008

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:07 pm

Quoting pygmalion (Reply 17):
Most probably wont... Some people definitely will. Its just human nature. Some grandma will wonder if her pilot is a pimp and will take another airline.

And still there are others right now reading this story and are like "oh yeah, I need to book that trip to see grandma" and they immediately go to united.com because they just saw the story and have United Airlines fresh on their mind.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

kiwiandrew

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:14 pm

I think I'm missing something here. Is there any actual connection between his non-aviation business activities and his job as a pilot ? Unless someone can show a valid connection surely this story belongs in the non-aviation forum.

bgm

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:15 pm

That's FlyerFriendly™   
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

DLFREEBIRD

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:26 pm

well, i don't have a crystal ball like some of you. So i don't know how these two stories will hurt either airlines UA or Jet Blue, I do know that all airlines employee will now be screened instead of being randomly screened. Which is a pain in the butt, for those of us who work at the airport and don't always get a ride to the gate bypassing security.

[Edited 2016-03-24 12:27:56]

peanuts

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:47 pm

I can't link the dots myself either.
Why is his "day job" and employer even mentioned? What's the relevance? Character issue? If that's the case good luck.
For any person arrested today, reported in tomorrow's paper if newsworthy, their position and employer is mentioned? Not!

Somehow the newspaper must reason if this were a plumber the story wouldn't get as many clicks.

I feel bad for United, in a way.

[Edited 2016-03-24 12:50:13]

Byrdluvs747

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:20 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 22):
What's the relevance? Character issue?

In a high profile job like a pilot, yes. Any kind of criminal activity is relevant. You may try to rationalize or compartmentalize his behavior, but the majority of people would choose pilots not engaged in felonious activities.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

TWA772LR

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:25 pm

I feel bad for United, in a way.

Me too. They have their fair share of negative news. Throwing their name in there is not called for in any way.

And it's not like Ryanair being in the news for wanting to charge to use the lav or adding standing seats, this is a major crime. Wallis will become a felon and faces serious prison time if convicted.

[Edited 2016-03-24 13:27:16]

dmg626

Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:31 pm

So now all the ignoramuses can ask the pilots if they have a brothel instead of asking if they've been drinking today

jetblastdubai

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:04 pm

It'd really be hypocritical of him if these working girls were non-union.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

ua900

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Quoting dmg626 (Reply 25):
So now all the ignoramuses can ask the pilots if they have a brothel instead of asking if they've been drinking today

And the F/A is the place to go for coke, no, not the international cans with the real sugar in it  

atcsundevil

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:08 pm

It does seem rather strange to see this spate of illegal activity of late among airline employees engaging in side businesses. I suppose it's probably always gone on, but I wonder if these days it's perhaps it's more symptomatic of a larger problem. I wonder if poor relations with management or less pay/benefits comparable to the past is encouraging them to "diversify". I would understand this from regional airline employees given their shameful pay levels, but from mainline pilots making six figure incomes seems unnecessarily risky. More than likely they were simply living beyond their means and needed to augment their income, which is more of an American problem than an airline industry problem.

At the very least I hope none of these women were victims of sex trafficking. There's way too much of that in this world.

Okie

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:15 pm

Says more about the pay scale at UA than anything.  Wow!
Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
$14,400 - $24,000 a week, nice extra income.

You have to build a retirement fund somehow.  

Okie

Sooner787

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:15 pm

I'm wondering who got to tell UA's CEO, who just returned to work
after a heart transplant, that one of their pilot's was busting for running a brothel.

Oy Vey!

RDUDDJI

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:25 pm

True, but it won't hurt their business. Every airline (and big company) has employees that do stupid things. Unless it involved the company directly (and this didn't) people largely could care less. I bet if this guy was a ramper at UA, this wouldn't even be a story...
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

peterinlisbon

Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:55 pm

This is absolutely outragous. I never made my girls pay more than 350$ per week for turning tricks when I was working at Pan Am. Who'd have thought that on his days off this guy was working in another type of "cock pit"?

jetblastdubai

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:23 pm

This pilot was even worse.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...0792_1_pilot-police-mark-wilkinson

and then there's this "aviation professional" that needed to supplement his $98,000 annual income illegally.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...tenced-for-bank-heists-2818045.php

and this guy dealt with his divorce badly.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...seball-bat-federal-court-sentenced

The world is full of people that have no boundaries or morals...Income or profession doesn't seem to make much difference.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

pvjin

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Assuming the employees weren't victims of human trafficking and were all working from their own free will this man didn't do anything morally wrong. There is no logical reason to ban organized prostitution, let alone all prostitution like most US states have done.

I hope this man gets a light sentence, he should perhaps consider moving to Germany where that form of legitimate business is perfectly legal.

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 33):
The world is full of people that have no boundaries or morals...Income or profession doesn't seem to make much difference.

Yeah. The worst form are those who think they have some kind of moral right to tell other people what to do or not to do with their bodies.

[Edited 2016-03-24 15:47:40]
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

copter808

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:00 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 34):
Assuming the employees weren't victims of human trafficking and were all working from their own free will this man didn't do anything morally wrong. There is no logical reason to ban organized prostitution, let alone all prostitution like most US states have done.

Gambling was once illegal in the US too--until the states realized how much money they could make by legalizing it. Why not the same with prostitution. Both may be morally wrong, but they generate income.

Not saying that I favor legalizing it though.

lightsaber

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 35):
Not saying that I favor legalizing it though.

Because of the illegal nature, women are trapped. I want, for the sake of the women Pimping illegal but prostitution legal.

It was a felony. No one without respect for rules (and knowing when to break them) should fly.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

deutronium

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:09 pm

I feel for bad for United, in a way.

True but it would have been more news worthy if it was Virgin America

AirlineCritic

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:59 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 30):
I'm wondering who got to tell UA's CEO, who just returned to work
after a heart transplant, that one of their pilot's was busting for running a brothel.

These cases are so beyond normal, that I find it difficult to stay serious. Even if I know it is a serious matter.

UA pilot? Gotta make your living /somehow/

rbavfan

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:22 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):

So i just check my updates. Guess it was a jetBlue attendant. (USA)">B6 FA

[Edited 2016-03-24 18:31:46]

rbavfan

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:26 am

Saying he is a United Airlines employee gets more press worldwide than saying he was a smuck. If they could not add UA name to it it would have been page 12 news.

Viscount724

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:33 am

He apparently also ran a flight school and charter service at a small airport in the Houston area. Mentioned in the news item in the opening post, and several related photos among the group starting with his police mugshot.

Excerpt:

Wallis is also accused of using Eastex Aero, his flight school and charter service in Porter, north of Houston, as a front to make sure the women who worked for him had "legitimate" employment records and financial statements, according to court records

[Edited 2016-03-24 19:18:05]

Aaron747

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:41 am

Quoting AirlineCritic (Reply 38):

These cases are so beyond normal, that I find it difficult to stay serious. Even if I know it is a serious matter.

Same here. This guy took Quagmire's giggity to a revolting new level.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

rbavfan

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:44 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 28):
I suppose it's probably always gone on, but I wonder if these days it's perhaps it's more symptomatic of a larger problem.

If that were true why did they get Eastern Airlines & Braniff Airlines employees in the 60', 70 & some in the 80's before AA took Eastern's old routes and they started arresting AA employees. Its been a problem for decades.

Revelation

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:47 am

Quoting deutronium (Reply 37):
True but it would have been more news worthy if it was Virgin America

Not too many virgins working at a house of prostitution...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

PlanesNTrains

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:53 am

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 11):
They are 100% involved. Every story worldwide will have The United Airlines name in it.

Right now, the Ryanair CEO is wondering "Why didn't I think of that?"

And I think we all know that we will be getting an email promo from Spirit with a brothel theme soon. lol "Pay to Play from Houston to LA" or some such.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

panpan

Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:59 am

wait, that's illegal? argh. i've gotta make some calls.

falstaff

Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:21 am

For any person arrested today, reported in tomorrow's paper if newsworthy, their position and employer is mentioned? Not!

Depends on the job. I am a high school teacher and I know that if I was caught doing something like that my professional and place of employment would be included in the news story.

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 31):
Every airline (and big company) has employees that do stupid things

Remember the NW pilot, with cocaine, speeding through the border at Port Huron, Michigan? That was dumb, and every story about it mentioned NW, but after a few days it was ancient history.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

ERJ135

Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:29 am

I understand that this is illegal there which is why its news worthy, I wonder if the pilot had been a cab driver or worked at a grocery store we'd never hear about it.
I grew up in a society where prostitution was both legal and regulated, working girls pay tax, claim tax deductions and earn superannuation, yes you pay the brothel for using their rooms to ply your trade, but here it is safe not dirty and most people have acknowledged that it harms no one and weather it is legal, decriminalised, illegal or anything else it will always be there, time to move past the 1930's and get over it already.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

Pyrex

Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:29 pm

There was a guy a couple of weeks ago who was a low-level employee at Barclays (the bank) who got arrested for torturing his roommate's cat. Barclays was all over the news, yes.

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 26):
It'd really be hypocritical of him if these working girls were non-union.

I wonder if they have an ESOP.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 41):

He apparently also ran a flight school and charter service at a small airport in the Houston area. Mentioned in the news item in the opening post, and several related photos among the group starting with his police mugshot.

Wow, quite a multi-tasker. How did he find the time for everything?
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!