Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tommy1808

RE: Easter -- Secular Or Religious?

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:26 am

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 95):
Well, no. So it is an answer.

If the bible is God´s word, it is his prophecy. If he is all-knowing, it is his prophecy, even if it isn´t God´s own words.

More hate filled bigotry. Nice display.

Offence is not given, it is taken. Small children also may take offence when they are told that the easter bunny isn´t real. There is no qualitativ difference between the easter bunny and God. Both are equally unsupported by evidence.

So much God given talent,

Your imaginary friend has nothing to with me. Neither does Allah, Wischnu, the Easter Bunny or Darth Vader.

yet you waste your time bashing people you don't agree with.

Again, it is entirely up to you if you feel bashed. I am sure a KKK member not finding agreement in discussions about the qualities of African-Americans will feel bashed as well when people don´t agree with them.

You've been around 2000 years?

Yoga and healthy food.

People are inherently bad and bad people commit despicable acts.

Yes. But to get good people to do evil things, you need religion.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 98):
If God is a fairytale then why bother devoting so much time trying to prove it?

If those black folks are not inferior to the white ones, why was it necessary to devote so much time to prove it? Why is it still needed? Because it has been a dogma, something believed without any evidence for it being true. Religion trains people to do exactly that. Find me a genocide that was well reasoned and justified by evidence and you may have a point.
Every religion will yield a certain percentage of extremists, and a certain part of them will kill for their faith. No matter how good the religion is, no matter how much a force of good it is in most of its followers. The only way to defeat religiously motivated terrorism and other violence is to get rid of religion.

It's called free will.

Depends on your definition of "free will".

1. Recent developments in Neuroscience point to free will being an illusion. It may turn out that the only meaningful definition of "free will" that can be supported by evidence is "not having been coerced to do so". By that definition ..

2. Free will doesn´t exist in religious people, since the thread of punishment constitutes coercing.

What an exciting lifeless world that would be.

I don´t think i am going to miss genocide and suicide bombers very much. I don´t think i am going to miss theocracies either.

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 98):
The wanton disregard for people's beliefs, particularly those of any religious persuasion, by many in this forum is utterly repulsive.

if you want to give made up stuff to the public unopposed, buy a television add.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

sebolino

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:41 am

Quoting photopilot (Thread starter):
When will we truly get rid of these days that mean absolutely nothing to everyone else? Isn't it about time for society to be completely secular?

Like many I guess, I don't agree with that. I'm not religious, but traditions and history means something to me. Christmas is a tradition for me, not a religious day. We are not here without a reason, and our culture, our cities (especially in Europe) and our traditions have a long history which we should not forget.

tommy1808

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:53 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 99):
We allow this approach in philosophy, science, politics and literature. Why should it be any different when it comes to religion?

Just count the US news media, or news media in general, that published the danish cartoons.

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 99):
some may be very kind, generous and non-judgemental.

Probably even most. That doesn´t make the "side effects" any better, we have them on the news every day.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

coolian2

Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:21 am

Ugh this thread is utterly letting down both sides.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

aerorobnz

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:52 pm

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 103):
Ugh this thread is utterly letting down both sides.

I wish (synonym for pray) for the extinction of mankind sometimes, We don't deserve the gifts we were born with . Not the end of days, just end of human life on earth- nobody would be worthy of a heaven if it existed anyway. The ideal would be to live a long and happy life and then die the same day as the human virus gets wiped out by a mutant Zika/Ebola hybrid,

Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Boeing717200

Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:51 pm

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 103):

When you lead with a crucified Easter Bunny and call people's beliefs meaningless it's not going to end well.
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

planemaker

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 105):
and call people's beliefs meaningless

The "belief" obviously has meaning... that isn't the issue. The issue is that the belief is based on mythology and most adherents of the mythology attempt to have laws reflect their mythology.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

bhill

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:48 pm

Quoting Boeing717200 (Reply 93):
Fulfillment of prophecy. Next question.

Explain the apples and women thingy....Where in the fertile crescent did apples grow? And what kind of apples were they?
Carpe Pices

WearyDrover

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:23 am

Quoting bhill (Reply 107):
Explain the apples and women thingy....Where in the fertile crescent did apples grow? And what kind of apples were they?

Neither Genesis 2:15-17, nor in following verses of Genesis 3 is any mention of apples made. There is talk of a tree of knowledge and forbidden fruit but the tale is one of a gift being given under condtions, of disobedience and the consequences, not of horticulture.

I suspect many Christians today view it as a parable and not an evidentiary statement to be given in court.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

planemaker

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:32 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 108):
I suspect many Christians today view it as a parable and not an evidentiary statement to be given in court.

I find it interesting that many Christians still view it as an evidentiary statement.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

texdravid

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:14 am

Once again, the extreme secular left just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Look, I am very secular and non-religious, and I do not attend any service of any religion. I am a cafeteria Hindu; that is, I am a cultural Indian who was born that way and my interaction with my mother religion is essentially zero.

Having said that, unlike the many, many secular people on this board, I do not make fun of, demean, or figuratively crucify people who do have religious beliefs of any kind.

If you pray quietly, and privately, and do not force others into praying or try to convert someone, and most importantly, if you respect other peoples beliefs in a NON-VIOLENT manner, then i have no problem with you.

Furthermore, different countries have different cultural and religious manners and customs. Let it be. Far from me to demand anything from a Buddhist country or Muslim country. No, but certain people do have problems with a Christian country, for obvious reasons.....because the west is extremely secular and welcoming and doesn't mind if Christianity is mocked or made fun of.

So just let it be people. Enjoy your life, your way, and leave others to do the same. Just remember, it is America/Europe and the entire west where you can wear a sari or burka in Amarillo, Texas or Statesville, Georgia, and no one is going to harass you or force you to change. Try wearing shorts or a mini-skirt in certain countries or try taking a cross or the B. Gita to Riyadh.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:41 am

It never really mattered to me - just means a lot of interesting posts come up from young ladies on Reddit...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty