Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

¼-inch Bit Drill Thread

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:07 am

I bought a Threshold "Towel Tower" at Target a few weeks ago, and the instructions say that assembly shall require a drill with a ¼-inch bit. I do not own a drill, so does anyone recommend an inexpensive but reliable one for a non-handyman type?

I'd prefer to buy it at Fleet Farm, but I can live with going to Menard's if I have to. Heck, since we're talking tools, I just might even venture into a Sears, even though their stores tend to smell musty.

photopilot

RE: ¼-inch Bit Drill Thread

Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:38 pm

Well if you don't want a power drill, why not ask if they have a "Brace & Bit".

jetwet1

Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:46 pm

If you are just doing the one project, go for the cheapest one you can find.

If you are going to get serious about working around the house, I highly recommend one of these :

http://www.lowes.com/pd_506283-70-DC...Z1z0yrtz__?productId=50040962&pl=1

Honestly, any Dewalt drill is going to be good, they are not cheap, but there is a very good reason, heck i've dropped that drill from my roof onto concrete (single level) and the thing worked with no problems.

mham001

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 pm

The reviews say you only need a drill for the wall mount bracket. http://www.target.com/p/threshold-me...-tower-brushed-nickel/-/A-14762731

You can fasten it to the wall, (if you feel it needs it) with a simple nail or a screw/screwdriver. They probably included a molly type fastener for drywall with no stud, even that can be installed without drill.

If you haven't needed a drill up to this point, but still want to buy one, you can get by with the cheapest thing you find. Don't waste your money.

Okie

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:28 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 3):
If you haven't needed a drill up to this point, but still want to buy one, you can get by with the cheapest thing you find. Don't waste your money.

If you only have one project then go manual.

All of the box stores have various lines of duty cycle of drills/drill kits available. Very economical home use to professional grade models and brands.
The box stores usually have an economical home grade, advertise special.

If you are interested in home projects then go with Dewalt, Milwaukie, Ryobi commercial lines.

Edited to add make sure you go with a minimum of 3/8" chuck 1/2" better.

Okie

[Edited 2016-03-26 08:35:30]

Tugger

Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:56 pm

Heck if it is just a dry wall anchor that you will be doing, I'll sometimes just use a standard drywall screw as a drill and screw it in until the sheetrock strips out and then use a one stage larger screw that augers out the hole to the right size for the anchor. Then just screw in the screws to the anchors. No drill needed, just a driver at worst.

Another option I would consider is to just use 3M Command Strip hooks. Just set two each at each "back brace bar" on the Towel Tower to hook onto the bar, one on each side. If you want to "lock" things in place just have one set upside down. Simple clean and no holes in your wall and can be removed clean later.

They have ones designed for bathrooms (high humidity environments). I would likely use six but might go to eight if I felt it was warranted (the top three or four braces but even four might be just fine). That will give 30-40 lbs holding power. They have ones that are a similar finish to the tower metal.
http://www.command.com/3M/en_US/comm...24736+3293807252+3294529207&rt=rud

Just an idea.

Tugg

[Edited 2016-03-26 09:20:56]

andz

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
a few weeks ago

you sound about as keen on DIY as I am...

DocLightning

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Mine is a lot bigger than 1/4"

So sorry to hear yours is so small.

OA412

Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:37 pm

I've never heard of the stores you mentioned, but Home Depot sells some basic Black & Decker drills for around $40, and they work great. Another thing to consider is that Home Depot has a tool rental department. It might make sense to just rent a drill there if you're not going to use it for anything else.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Buy a corded drill. I know cordless is all the rage, but they hold their power constantly versus a cordless whose power decreases with battery level.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. They have a range of all kinds of tools from once in a blue moon workers to professionals at all prices.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):
Mine is a lot bigger than 1/4"

So sorry to hear yours is so small.

A.net savagery at its finest!

MD11Engineer

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:38 pm

As one guy I kno said: "I cannot aford cheap tools".

An electric drill with a masonry (hammer) function is about the most essential tool every household needs.
As with tools, I usually go for professional, heavy duty industrial quality, as they will last forever.

Black&Decker here across the pond has a pretty bad reputation of cheap Chinese [email protected] DeWalt is about the same. Milwaukee seems to be ok, I used some of their tools when I was working for an American company.
I own several drills (in different sizes, mains powered or rechageable battery), and so far have been happy with Makita, Metabo and the Blue Boch series (many people don't know that Bosch produces two series of electric tools, the series with a green housing is intended for the hobbyist DIY market, and while they are good for the price they are not industrial quality for professional use, as the blue housing series is. The blue Bosch tools are of course a lot more expensive). Hilti from Switzerland is considered the Mercedes Benz of professional electric tools, but is very pricy.

Mind, I have a fully equipped metal shop with a forge and do about everything myself on a semi-professional base.

Jan

Okie

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 9):
Buy a corded drill. I know cordless is all the rage, but they hold their power constantly versus a cordless whose power decreases with battery level.

Not since Li-Ion. The old NiCad's were like that but the new Li-Ion just go full power until they quit, however they do not like cold and their capacity drops quickly. They will still run full power just for shorter periods of time.

The Li-ion tricks a lot of people when they first use them because there is no run down as you implied. So you do not have any idea of the charge state of the battery. You finish drilling one hole at normal power then hit the trigger for the next hole and there is no response.
The first thought is that the drill motor broke since there was no run down. Install a charged battery and away you go.

Okie

larshjort

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:55 pm

1/4" is not a drill bit.

This:

Is a drill bit

Okie

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:33 pm

Quoting larshjort (Reply 12):

Usually turn one of those with a TDS11 Varco or a 1250AC Canrig.

Okie

pilotsmoe

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:32 am

1/4" is not a drill bit.

Inches and pounds are miles better  

DocLightning

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:40 am

This:

Is a drill bit

Tugger

Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:00 am

Also, have you thought to just borrow a drill from a friend? Surely you must know someone that has one. That will be the simplest and likely best way to "get a drill" for your project.

Tugg

nickh

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:33 pm

Down in these Southern & Southwest locales, we have a lot Harbor Freight stores, which cater very well to what you are looking for.
Unlike a retail box store (Home Depot, Lowes (I actually do shop at Lowes sometimes), Sears (are they *still in business??!) etc., take a spin around the Harbor Freight web site.

If you like to shop local Mom and Pop owned hardware stores, a lot of ACE hardware stores are actually still privately owned franchises, I believe, and as such, they tend to stock a lot of regional, eclectic equipment, whereas a mainstream corporate box store might not.

http://www.harborfreight.com

http://www.acehardware.com/home/index.jsp

I've always had good luck with the above two, they are quick to send via mail-order and the quality and their return policies are quite reasonable.

-Nick

Boeing717200

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:05 am

Go get yourself a drill and a set of bits. Don't spend much as it sounds like you won't use it often. You can also use a small 1/4 diameter Phillips screwdriver and a hammer to pop a hole in the sheet rock. If you're worried about hitting the stud, pick up a stud finder as well. They are cheap.

PlymSpotter

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:46 pm

If you can get the knack of DIY, I recommend it. I have the DIY bug quite badly, right from the little things like putting up shelves to my current project of heavily renovating a old villa in Spain - I've put in new plumbing, electrics, roof, doors, woodwork, masonry/walls... the lot. My colleagues can't fathom that I will fly over from London for a weekend of hardcore DIY, but for me it is utter relaxation.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 10):
An electric drill with a masonry (hammer) function is about the most essential tool every household needs.
As with tools, I usually go for professional, heavy duty industrial quality, as they will last forever.

Quite, and not only quality, but well looked after/carefully stored too. I spent part of today drilling cable holes through solid 220mm masonry walls for new outside lighting... with a 26 year old heavy duty Black & Decker drill and 12mm x 360mm bit. Good as the day it was bought though, whilst friends will go though one cheap drill a year which never gives them the power they need anyway.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 16):
Also, have you thought to just borrow a drill from a friend? Surely you must know someone that has one. That will be the simplest and likely best way to "get a drill" for your project.

My thoughts entirely. Plus, if said friend knows a thing or two about DIY, offer them a meal or bottle of their favourite wine for a hand in doing the job too. Quite often I'll have a friend drop me a line and ask me to come by and help them fit something - it generally takes me 15 minutes, then we have a nice evening and a few drinks to 'celebrate'. 

Dan  

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:46 am

For a person who barely uses a drill this is about all you'll ever need. Bosch Cordless Driver Drill PS3202

https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/ocsmedia/xBosch_Cordless_Drill_Driver_PS3202_,28EN,29,286,29.png.pagespeed.ic.BzH4su0r4b.png

MD11Engineer

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:55 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):
For a person who barely uses a drill this is about all you'll ever need. Bosch Cordless Driver Drill PS3202

https://www.boschtools.com/ca/en/ocsmedia/xBosch_Cordless_Drill_Driver_PS3202_,28EN,29,286,29.png.pagespeed.ic.BzH4su0r4b.png

That's one of the professional series.

Jan

mham001

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 20):

It costs at least 3x more than he needs and leaves him with a battery to maintain in between the sporadic use. Good drills though. Milwaukee also makes an M12 series with some very good tool options that are more accessible in this continent.

He needs (he doesn't really *need* any drill for that shelf) a very cheap plug-in drill motor to sit on his shelf. Harbor Freight is an excellent option for that here, if you're going to send money to China, send as little as possible. Another option is the Goodwill, $5 will probably cover all the typical homeowner needs for life (older the better).

Kiwirob

Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 21):
That's one of the professional series.

I know, I have one. I have three drills, all Bosch, my wife lost the first one, so I bought a better one, then we found the old one and a builder left the small one, we found it months after they finished the job, he never came back for it so I kept it.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 22):
costs at least 3x more than he needs and leaves him with a battery to maintain in between the sporadic use. Good drills though

The battery can be used in a torch.

larshjort

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 22):
Milwaukee also makes an M12 series with some very good tool options that are more accessible in this continent.

I absolutely love the Milwaukee M12 series, it's just a shame they are expensive over here. They will cost the same as the Bosch recommended by Rob.

Tugger

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:57 pm

I know people are suggesting "great tools" but for limited use/one time use, if you are not going to just borrow one and don't want to go out to a store or trust a generic "ocean port tools" version then just a quick search of Amazon gave these:

$39.98

.www.amazon.com/Hitachi-D10VH-...-Reversible-Keyless/dp/B0000EI97B/

$34.99
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61tSP94lZBL._SL1500_.jpg
www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC600D-8...Inch-Variable-Speed/dp/B0035H3KDO/

Are these great? No, but they are not bad and will do the job just fine and they are under $40 and can be at your door in two days. I've had a corded drill for 30+ years now and love it when the battery on the other dies.

Tugg

mham001

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):

I wish they had the battery electric clothes thirty years ago.

Airstud
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:32 am

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 23):

Mmmmmmm, crème brûlée...

offloaded

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:40 am

A couple of months ago I spent about €250 on this, which I really like. It was my first cordless, and I wanted a decent one.

http://www.totaltools.com.au/www/648/files/fmc625dicons_maincopyfinalv2.jpg

Airstud surprised me though. I thought owing at least one drill was pretty much mandatory for retention of one's man card.