Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777222LR
Topic Author

Going To Seattle

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:08 am

Been on the forums since 1996, just wanted to reach out to see if any Washingtonians could give me some insight on Seattle. I'm taking a long weekend up that way late April. I want to go see the Boeing Plant on day 1, but after that, I want to go off grid to the mountains. Where to go, what to see? I'm a photographer, so aesthetics are important to me. Get out in nature. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

seb146

RE: Going To Seattle

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:22 am

There have been some problems with roads in the Cascades, so check that first. Some of the Mt. Rainer highways will be closed for a while, too.

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/

WA-410 is a pretty drive but, parts of it are closed in spring for snow. The link is road conditions around Washington. The Olympic Peninsula is also a good option.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

bunumuring

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey guys,
Seattle ranks equal with Petra and Marrakesh as #1 destinations on my bucket list.
I will get there one day, and look forward to the Boeing factory, the Space Needle, the first Starbucks, the environment of the Pacific Northwest and of course, Mt St Helens... I need to add it to my list of volcanos visited!
Cheers,
Bunumuring.
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

ER757

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:26 pm

Quoting bunumuring (Reply 2):
Mt St Helens... I need to add it to my list of volcanos visited!

Mt St Helens is quite a drive from Seattle - plan on about three hours each way. Worth the trip though as long as the weather's decent.
What other volcanos have you visited? As far as active ones go I've got St. Helens, Kiluea in Hawaii and Poas and Arenal in Costa Rica. I don't count the dormant ones in the Cascades but have visited most all of them

Quoting 777222LR (Thread starter):

The road up the Paradise at Mt Rainier is open year-round, so hope for a nice day and head that way. Not the best time of year to get sunny skies up here, but you never know. This coming week is supposed to be beautiful. If you want to get together for a drink or something while you're here IM me. Always fun to meet fellow a.nuts

mham001

Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:03 pm

If the day was clear, I would go west on a ferry.

AzoresLover

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:38 pm

A very scenic mountain trip? I'd head over Stevens Pass and stop at Leavenworth, a faux German village in a very scenic area of the Cascades. If you do, I recommend the restaurant Katzenjammers there for a good meal...steaks and King crab legs there are awesome. And just short of Leavenworth on the way over is a homemade candy place, The Alps. Definitely worth a stop.

I haven't been there now for a few years, but I assume everything I mentioned is still there. And this is an easy day trip from Seattle.
Those who want to do something will find a way; those who don't will find an excuse.

bhill

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:44 pm

On the Olympic Peninsula, named after the same mountain range, there is the Hoh rainforest...bring a good macro lens, Hurricane Ridge is there as well and the ocean. Then a quick jaunt to Paradise at Mt. Rainier. Leavenworth is ok...a Bavarian wanna be. If the Cascade highway is open, Winthrop, in the Methow Valley, about 3 hours away reminds me more of the Bavarian Alps. Tons of stuff to do...skip the meals at the Space Needle, waaaay to $$$ for the quality. And if you want a good view, go up the Columbia Tower instead.

"Keep Washington Green.....bring money...."
Carpe Pices

seb146

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Quoting bhill (Reply 6):
skip the meals at the Space Needle, waaaay to $$$ for the quality. And if you want a good view, go up the Columbia Tower instead.

They just power washed the Gum Wall at Pike St. Market, so it is fresh gum!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ER757

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:50 am

Quoting bhill (Reply 6):
"Keep Washington Green.....bring money...."

Yeah, keep my taxes lower by bringing in outside money!!