Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KBJCpilot
Topic Author

Concealed Handgun- Recommendations?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:57 am

Hello fellow 'Nutters, I'm looking for a good conceal carry recommendation. I'm former military and have always shot and owned Glock and S&W but am open to suggestions this time around. I don't plan on carrying every day but those times I will I'll be most likely wearing an untucked button up shirt or loose light jacket so the lighter and stealthier the better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Samsonite, I was way off!

L-188

RE: Concealed Handgun- Recommendations?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:01 am

Off the top of my head I am afraid I don't have a good one.

I would suggest stopping by several stores and seeing what they have and what feels comfortable in in your hands.

Some ranges do have rental firearms so you may be able to try shooting one.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

coolian2

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:10 am

Just don't. Especially if you're going to say

Quoting KBJCpilot (Thread starter):
so the lighter and stealthier the better.

Don't.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

L-188

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:40 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 2):

Don't.

And why are those valid reasons not to purchase a tool?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

WarRI1

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:59 am

Any suggestions?

What ever you do, do not get a Desert Eagle.  
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Airstud

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:03 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 2):

Don't.

Easy to say from outside of America.
Pancakes are delicious.

Ozair

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:21 am

Any suggestions?

I haven't used it myself but the Glock 42 gets good reviews.

Tugger

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:04 am

Sig Sauer P229 9mm

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

seb146

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:16 am

I don't plan on carrying every day but those times I will I'll be most likely wearing an untucked button up shirt or loose light jacket so the lighter and stealthier the better.

Are you planning on going on raids in combat zones? What is the point of this?

I know some people are saying "oh, there goes the 'liberal' trying to take our guns away" but I really want to know why. What is the point of packing a light and stealthy gun on Main Street U.S.A.?

I have no idea how many times this "liberal" can stress the need for some to provide for their families. I love a good venison stew. I have no problem with guns for this use. Many "liberals" would agree. Guns are used for ending life. And deer meat is tasty.

But, in a city like Dallas or Kansas City or Indianapolis, what is the point of concealed carry? That a rogue moose might stampede you? Or al-Qaida will turn tail at the sight of a holstered pistol?

I want an honest answer.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:36 am

Quoting seb146 (Reply 8):
What is the point of packing a light and stealthy gun on Main Street U.S.A.?

How about "Because he has the right to and wishes to do so" ? Does that work for you?

Once all is said and done, that's all that need be said, really. No other justification is needed.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

coolian2

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:47 am

I love the responses to my reply. I would actually love to own a gun. But I'll never get through the requirements here - no acceptable, inaccessible storage space.

Maybe it's me, but needing and wanting it to be hidden just rings the wrong bells.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

allrite

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:58 am

When I read "concealed hand gun" I immediately thought of this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-W8kSzNVbaA0/UGXjODeXFdI/AAAAAAAAC1Q/Pb85PvVkHkY/s1600/rory3.jpg
I like artificial banana essence!

WIederling

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:25 am

... so the lighter and stealthier the better.

No anal cavity holsters around?  
Murphy is an optimist

KFLLCFII

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:33 am

I went from carrying a G26 in an inside-waistband holster at about the 3:30 position to a Ruger LCP with a thin pocket holster and never looked back. Stopped me from having to worry about shirts, gusts of wind, kneeling in church or other public settings / seating where I may be more susceptible to "printing".

It's extremely light, even when full at 6+1, and a spare magazine isn't any more inconvenient to carry than a Bic lighter. A little snappy to fire with such a small frame, but a Pachmayr grip sleeve and the included magazine pinky extension help. It's as accurate as you are and extremely reliable after break-in, whether with hollow points or FMJ. As for the effectiveness of .380, if that doesn't stop the threat, you've got bigger problems.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

johns624

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
I would suggest stopping by several stores and seeing what they have and what feels comfortable in in your hands.

Some ranges do have rental firearms so you may be able to try shooting one.

Great advice.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 7):
Sig Sauer P229 9mm

Did you miss the part about "small and stealthy"? He didn't mention heavy and clunky.

scbriml

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:25 pm

Couldn't resist before, can't resist now.

Carrying A Concealed Wallet (by scbriml Dec 14 2006 in Non Aviation)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Tugger

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 14):
Did you miss the part about "small and stealthy"? He didn't mention heavy and clunky.

Other professionals disagree.

Quote:
Everything about the SIG Sauer P229 is professional and uncompromising. This is the sidearm of the plainclothes division of the US Secret Service, the officers who guard the President. The Federal Air Marshal Service uses the 229, as do the State Police forces of Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and Delaware. Other Law Enforcement agencies too numerous to mention also choose this outstanding pistol. Even though the 229 is worn openly by many uniformed officers, it is still sufficiently compact to be worn concealed by an undercover officer or dedicated civilian. The SIG 229 has a very comfortable grip and a satisfying feel in the hand. The fit, finish, and level of workmanship are all first-rate. There is nothing loose or sloppy. This is a solid gun which inspires confidence.
http://concealednation.org/2015/01/f...-a-serious-gun-for-troubled-times/

Quote:
The SIG P229 has a 3.9-inch barrel, which means it can be concealed with relative ease. With an overall weight of 32 ounces, it can ride comfortably all day.
[...]
I mentioned above that the P229 would make a fine concealed carry piece.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/9mm-sig-sauer-p229-midsize-excellence-concealed-open-carry/

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 13):
if that doesn't stop the threat, you've got bigger problems.

You certainly have!
1.Being killed by your own weapon.
2.Mistaking your daughter/son/wife/mother for the threat.
3.Startling the threat to such an extent that instead losing your TV, you or your family lose their life.

In my naivety of only shooting for sport, what does concealed carry buy you? I would have thought it was safer to have it on display, kind of like mutually assured shooting.

Fred

RRTrent

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):
How about "Because he has the right to and wishes to do so" ? Does that work for you?

That's an nonconstructive answer to a legitimate question... I think the point he's trying to make is that why would someone feel the need to carry a weapon in the apparent land of the free?

Is it to to compensate for something, to feel manly, or emulate cops in movies or is it just ingrained in American culture?

I have no issue with guns as such; and can understand having one in the car on the way to the range, or in a safe in the bedroom in case of a break in... But America, the supposed land of the free and citizens feel the need to walk the streets armed "just in case"? this baffles me.

It's extremely light, even when full at 6+1, and a spare magazine

This is concerning... I'm presuming the "1" refers to one in the chamber... so in the off-chance you need to fire 7 shots into someone, who lets face it, is just as likely to be a fellow headcase 'merican who's threatened by someone with a gun. You'd then take the time to pop in another clip and fire off 6 more? Would this not be the difference between self defense and murder? I'm honestly curious

I'll stress, I'm not having a go... the US and its people are some of the nicest and most welcoming on the planet, and I understand its more cultural than logical! much like me going for a pint because... f*ck it, I want a pint. But its still gets me thinking.

airtran737

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:35 pm

The Ruger LC9 is a great little weapon, and easily concealed anywhere.

I personally carry the Springfield XDS 9mm and I love it. It's a bit bulky if you want to go IWB (I hate IWB so it's not an issue), but it has done very well from me. I have a Crimson Trace laser sight, and a custom made paddle holster which fits perfectly on my hip. I go 50/50 on whether I conceal or open carry, and haven't had any problems hiding the XDS.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Tugger

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 17):
In my naivety of only shooting for sport, what does concealed carry buy you? I would have thought it was safer to have it on display, kind of like mutually assured shooting.

No, it basically gives anyone wishing to do harm an initial target that they need to consider to take out first. The vast majority do not wish to kill others, only disturbed people and people like that are not likely to be dissuaded, so "displaying" doesn't do much.

As to the fear of handguns and guns in general, it is over done. The big issue is the lack of controls on obtaining and being allowed to use and own one. I am a full on "gun control" person but I also can agree with the right to bear arms. I have family that hunts and owns firearms and they are fine and careful. Everyone is raised with a full respect for firearms, no one is allowed to use/have a gun unless they demonstrate proper care and use of such. This is what is lacking in the USA today.

And many (what I consider to be) fools have been convinced that any "controls" are wrong and bad. In my opinion that is simply incorrect, and the USSC got the Heller decision wrong (again in my opinion) and sooner or later it will be revisited and the rest of the Second Amendment will become relevant. And sadly this terrifies many people who seem to want completely free and unfettered access to firearms (*but oddly the Constitution does not mention firearms but rather "arms" which basically include all weapons but somehow the court have been allowed to winnow the definition down to just firearms. I say bring on the personal cannons along with a well regulated militia).

Tugg

MD11Engineer

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:51 pm

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 10):

Maybe it's me, but needing and wanting it to be hidden just rings the wrong bells.

If I'd carry a sidearm (never felt the need here in Europe, and even in most countries I have been to), I would also carry it concealed, for two reason:

a) Open carry lets everybody know that you have a gun and a possible atacker can prepare for it. Remember, the attacker has the initative and can take advantage of surprise. E.g. in case of a robbery he would kill you before you can react, just to liminate you as a potential threat.
Carrying the gun hidden gives you the chance to wait for the right time to respond, e.g. when the atacker is temporarely distraced. It makes good tactical sense not to open carry.

b) Walking around like Texas Pete, the gunslinger, makes you look like a braggard [email protected], spoiling for a fight.

My girlfriend's brother in the Philippines is a police officer, but always carries a handgun off duty as well. Either in a shoulder holster under a light jacket or,when he is driving, under the driver's seat, in easy reach.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 20):
No, it basically gives anyone wishing to do harm an initial target that they need to consider to take out first.

Gotcha! Kind of like aircraft carrying nuclear weapons and subs carrying them too, the subs are concealed carry.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 20):
As to the fear of handguns and guns in general, it is over done. The big issue is the lack of controls on obtaining and being allowed to use and own one. I am a full on "gun control" person but I also can agree with the right to bear arms. I have family that hunts and owns firearms and they are fine and careful. Everyone is raised with a full respect for firearms, no one is allowed to use/have a gun unless they demonstrate proper care and use of such. This is what is lacking in the USA today.

And many (what I consider to be) fools have been convinced that any "controls" are wrong and bad. In my opinion that is simply incorrect, and the USSC got the Heller decision wrong (again in my opinion) and sooner or later it will be revisited and the rest of the Second Amendment will become relevant. And sadly this terrifies many people who seem to want completely free and unfettered access to firearms (*but oddly the Constitution does not mention firearms but rather "arms" which basically include all weapons but somehow the court have been allowed to winnow the definition down to just firearms. I say bring on the personal cannons along with a well regulated militia).

This sounds correct to me, people are scared of guns and they shouldn't be scared of guns, they should be scared of people who are overly comfortable with guns.

Do you think there is anything in people not understanding how in or out of control of their own actions they are are any given time? I think training in this are is very important, like human performance limitations in aviation.

Fred

seb146

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):

No. There has to be a deeper reason. I have the right to drive. That does not mean I need to at all times.

Quoting RRTrent (Reply 18):
Is it to to compensate for something, to feel manly, or emulate cops in movies or is it just ingrained in American culture?

Extreme questions, but yes.

But America, the supposed land of the free and citizens feel the need to walk the streets armed "just in case"? this baffles me.

That is more why I ask. I grew up with gun culture and I have never understood the obsession this country has with guns. To try to own as many guns as possible just because is insane to me.

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 22):
they should be scared of people who are overly comfortable with guns.

And those are the ones that many of us have problems with.

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 22):
I think training in this are is very important, like human performance limitations in aviation.

Or like tests and insurance for driving. Why can we not do that? How does that infringe on the Second Amendment? To make sure gun owners know how to use guns and that they are mentally capable of owning guns? Why is that so bad? Why is it so bad to even have a conversation about it?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

fallap

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:23 pm

I've always had a crush on the M9 Beretta, Italian quality no?
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

mham001

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Quoting allrite (Reply 11):

I thought of this scene.http://images.amcnetworks.com/amc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/AMC_TWD_615_TAS.jpg

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:20 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Or like tests and insurance for driving.

maybe a test but only for the outcome of requiring an record of knowledge/understanding.
Mainly to stop the "Rambo man", make people realise that what they want to do in certain situations and what they will actually do are very different things.
Things like the fact that your brain does not see what is happening in the world around you, it "sees" some things and then makes up a whole load of random shit to fill in the multitude of gaps. You will have all seen the video of the basketball being thrown around or images changing without you even noticing.

I believe there are certain people who think they are in control of what they do and have a complete understanding of what goes on around them, unfortunately these people are also some of the ones who will be least receptive in being taught otherwise, those who seem to have a lack of self awareness almost.

I hope my wife doesn't read these forums because I'm going to use her as a prime example of someone who I wouldn't want to own a gun.
When I told her I had updated her car insurance and to put the documents in her car her response was; I don't need insurance, I just wont crash, I'm in control of the car    .

Later in the same week we went to the supermarket to buy some salad things and there was an offer on a cadburys chocolate cake in the entrance on its last day of shelf life, she asks "can we get a cake, look its on offer for £3", I say "no, I'm not buying a cake that we'll have to finish today". Can you guess her response??? "then we'll have to buy the ingredients so I can make one myself". All of a sudden without noticing it she had been told that she wanted chocolate cake without even knowing it! In control my arse!

I can be sure I have stupid things like that implanted into my brain all the time and I don't even know it, everyone is the same, Me, you, billybob joe, James bond, the lot of us!

Fred

KFLLCFII

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 17):

Quoting KFLLCFII:

As for the effectiveness of .380, if that doesn't stop the threat, you've got bigger problems.

You certainly have!
1.Being killed by your own weapon.
2.Mistaking your daughter/son/wife/mother for the threat.
3.Startling the threat to such an extent that instead losing your TV, you or your family lose their life.

As I understand it appears you're referring to home defense, in that regard the effectiveness of .380 (and effective concealment) I have no need to question...The threat will have bigger problems than .380.  
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Quoting seb146 (Reply 23):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):How about "Because he has the right to and wishes to do so" ? Does that work for you?
No. There has to be a deeper reason.

Actually, there doesn't. It's none of your business why he feels the need to carry a concealed weapon, no more than it's not his right to question why you ask the questions you do.

You're both exercising your rights and need not explain to anyone why.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

MSPNWA

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:54 pm

So he/she can protect himself/herself - and possibly you as well - from the crazies in this world. There you have it. Be thankful for the people out there taking on that responsibility and helping keep you safe.

I went from carrying a G26 in an inside-waistband holster at about the 3:30 position to a Ruger LCP with a thin pocket holster and never looked back. Stopped me from having to worry about shirts, gusts of wind, kneeling in church or other public settings / seating where I may be more susceptible to "printing".

I have a Ruger LCP with a pocket holster too, and I really like it. It's been reliable for me too, and it's about as easy to carry as my cell phone. I wish it was a better shooter, but it's the compromise you have to make for the small size.

photopilot

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 5):
Quoting coolian2 (Reply 2):Just don't. Especially if you're going to say

Don't.

Easy to say from outside of America.

And that's a very important point. From outside amerika, you ALL look like a bunch of gun-nut raving lunatics. Half the world, and certainly the First-World civilized countries are continually in amazement at the gun nonsense that permeates Amerikan society.

Are you planning on going on raids in combat zones? What is the point of this?

The point.... IMHO it's ego and compensating for other aspects of inadequacy.

But America, the supposed land of the free and citizens feel the need to walk the streets armed "just in case"? this baffles me.

Ya, and the "just in case" often goes horribly wrong, innocent people are hurt, and the legal "gun nut" flees like a coward.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/texa...ing-victim-in-head-then-runs-away/

But to keep this thread on-track as per the OP's initial question.
How about a popular guns for ladies, the Girl Mini is the right size, and is chambered for either .357 Mag or .38 Special rounds. This is classic derringer styling with a woman’s touch.
Should make him feel real manly!  

ArmitageShanks

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Quoting photopilot (Reply 30):
amerika
Amerikan society

Damn dude that's hardcore! I be the people over at Faux News would love this one!!!

Are you 12?

mham001

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 pm

I have slipped this in a looser pants pocket with a thin case. It's very light and for me, safer than a revolver.

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 29):
So he/she can protect himself/herself - and possibly you as well - from the crazies in this world. There you have it. Be thankful for the people out there taking on that responsibility and helping keep you safe.

a brief looks the statistics would show that to be a lie, maybe not on purpose but a lie none the less.
Fred

johns624

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

How about a popular guns for ladies, the Girl Mini is the right size, and is chambered for either .357 Mag or .38 Special rounds. This is classic derringer styling with a woman’s touch.

Lousy choice. Only two shots and a lot of recoil.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 32):
I have slipped this in a looser pants pocket with a thin case. It's very light and for me, safer than a revolver.

I believe that you mean "safer than a semi-auto".

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 33):
a brief looks the statistics would show that to be a lie, maybe not on purpose but a lie none the less.

Statistics mean nothing. They can be manipulated. What is your source? Me carrying a gun is no danger to anyone but criminals.

pvjin

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:07 pm

And that's a very important point. From outside amerika, you ALL look like a bunch of gun-nut raving lunatics. Half the world, and certainly the First-World civilized countries are continually in amazement at the gun nonsense that permeates Amerikan society.

At least personally I've started to understand the American way of thinking much better since European leaders decided that border control isn't necessary and anyone who knows how to say "asylum" can get in. After over 30 000 asylum seekers, most of them being young males from conservative Muslim countries, entered Finland last year our severely underfunded police forces here in Finland are now preparing for a very busy summer. Already harassment cases and rapes have increased significantly.

In this kind of environment my trust on the government's will and ability to protect its people has been severely degraded. If you don't trust the government to protect you then the logical next step is to improve your chances of protecting your own life and property. That's where American gun laws are good at.

Strict gun control is nice only as long as you can really trust the authorities and their competence. In most of the EU you can't anymore. Unarmed private citizen & incompetent authorities = Lawlessness, rule of the strong, slaughter of the innocent.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

ArmitageShanks

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 35):
If you don't trust the government to protect you then the logical next step is to improve your chances of protecting your own life and property.
Quoting pvjin (Reply 35):
Strict gun control is nice only as long as you can really trust the authorities and their competence.

Some people do distrust the government but I think a lot of people have weapons, especially in their house, because the violence can and will happen before the police can get there. That's why I have a gun in the house. If someone is kicking my door in having the police on the phone will do no good. I don't particularly like having guns all over the place but if everyone else has them I might level the playing field a bit.

There are a lot of violent people out there and the distances the police have to travel in large swaths of the country make self-defense a real issue for a lot of people. Is it likely to happen? No. I think of it like insurance. Its good to have and its there if I need it. Other than that and the handful of times a year I go to the range I never think about it.

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 34):
Me carrying a gun is no danger to anyone but criminals

interesting, you seem to fit to exactly what I said previously.
You seem to think that statistics can be manipulated but yet you fail to see any of your own potential falabilities. You are a danger to those innocent people you mistakenly think are criminals, to those around who may be get caught in the crossfire, to those who you hit when you miss the criminal, to those who are shot by the criminal with your gun to those around you who are hit by the criminal when you become the target. But go for it and tell me how you will Rambo it up and your lack of self awareness would be funny if it weren't a danger to people's lives.

Fred

johns624

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:41 pm

Quoting flipdewaf (Reply 37):
You are a danger to those innocent people you mistakenly think are criminals, to those around who may be get caught in the crossfire, to those who you hit when you miss the criminal, to those who are shot by the criminal with your gun to those around you who are hit by the criminal when you become the target. But go for it and tell me how you will Rambo it up and your lack of self awareness would be funny if it weren't a danger to people's lives.

You're so unintentionally funny and you don't even know it. Why would I think that innocent people are criminals? Having a gun doesn't make you "Rambo". Quit watching movies and get a real life. My gun is to protect me and mine; that's it. My first response is flight. The US isn't the OK Corral, so get it out of your mind. How much time have you spent in the US? I've spent close to a month in the UK, over three trips. How many parts of London or Glasgow are you afraid to go to?

pvjin

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:41 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 36):

Indeed, for the same reason I have a very big military style knife in my apartment.

Especially in the countryside you truly are on your own when it comes to defending your life and property, it may take anything between 30 minutes to hours for the police to arrive depending where you live. Though really self defense using deadly force is illegal in most cases according to the Finnish law, and defending your property using force is always illegal in Finland. Thus even if you have a gun you're probably better off just escaping if you can, but if you can't better alive in jail than dead I suppose.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

mham001

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 pm

Fred

A bit hard to prove what didn't happen. How much crime was quietly prevented either by a gun or just by the threat of a (concealed) gun? Nobody really knows but I know I could add a couple of points to that stat..

Quoting johns624 (Reply 34):
I believe that you mean "safer than a semi-auto".

Yes, except I was aiming for 'pistol'. I don't usually bother with 'semi-auto', the ignorant media seize on "semi-automatic" (evil), as if the vast majority of guns don't also reload the next round automatically.

Quoting pvjin (Reply 39):
it may take anything between 30 minutes to hours for the police to arrive depending where you live.

Indeed. In parts of Santa Cruz County, you are lucky to get same-day service.

[Edited 2016-04-05 15:50:06]

GDB

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Fred

It's a lie, put about by the NRA, the gun makers and their puppets in Washington. A class of dead toddlers? So what? We've got bucks to make, gullible, ignorant, frightened rubes to buy into it.
'It' being the Lone Ranger BS.
Name one mass shooting when Mr NRA poster boy has actually made a difference.
They've not got such a poster boy, or person indeed, if they did you'd all know them after mass media blanket coverage.
Maybe just as well, imagine, the cops do arrive after reports of a shooting, just as much chance they think the armed citizen trying to save the day is the original shooter.

What does happen is kids shooting kids, often their siblings, usually but not always by accident, same with kids shooting their parents, gun owner shooting him/her self by accident, the bad guy breaking in getting to the house gun first.
Paranoids overreacting to what for most are minor irritations by shooting, just the other day one admitted to shooting up his neighbours homes, luckily without hitting anyone as he had 'all these guns and I was bored'.

Still, it's your country, go ahead, enjoy a homicide rate far higher than other Western democracies, that's adjusted for each population before the hard of thinking chime in with 'but there's 320 million of us'.

Just don't bitch about how well armed those Mexican cartels are, guess how they get a fair chunk of their firepower?
Or get all panicked when an Islamist nut and his wife go all rampage with guns they easily brought - and how was that event different to the massacre at the church a few months before? By that dumb start a race war cracker kid, who also had no trouble getting tooled up. Both hate crimes.
Both made easier to carry out by the NRA.

johns624

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:56 pm

The point.... IMHO it's ego and compensating for other aspects of inadequacy.

How would that concern the sizable percentage of our customers who are lesbians?

johns624

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:59 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):

Almost all mass shootings occur in areas where lawabiding citizens can't legally carry--churches, schools, theaters, military bases, etc.

johns624

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:00 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
Just don't bitch about how well armed those Mexican cartels are, guess how they get a fair chunk of their firepower?

nah, they can't get full automatic weapons here. They get those from farther south and the Mexican Army and police.

mham001

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
Or get all panicked when an Islamist nut and his wife go all rampage with guns they easily brought - and how was that event different to the massacre at the church a few months before? By that dumb start a race war cracker kid, who also had no trouble getting tooled up. Both hate crimes.
Both made easier to carry out by the NRA.

You have a lot of bitterness about guns in the US, as many of the Queen's subjects seem to have. Have you done your part about that shocking British alcohol statistic? You might get better results working on your own problems.

ArmitageShanks

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:12 am

Quoting johns624 (Reply 42):
How would that concern the sizable percentage of our customers who are lesbians?

http://youtu.be/0zret7O8YoU?t=40s

KBJCpilot
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 am

Wow. All I asked for was a recommendation and all of the anti-gun folks showed up from the #Sanders2016 rally.

To answer your question and address some points raised in this thread here are some reasons I'm considering getting a new handgun.

1) I carry a large frame semi-auto in my car from time to time and would like something smaller to take with me when I am fishing or hiking by myself. I live in the Rocky Mountains and prefer to be armed when I am by myself doing outdoorsy things.

2) I am prior service (US ARMY Infantry) and know my way around weapons systems. I'm not going to go all OK Corral on innocent schoolchildren in a movie theater or unload my magazine (not clip) on a bus full of nuns in a fit of panic.

3) I'm up to date with my CCW training and at the range and my groupings are pretty tight from 15 yards. I'm not the spray and pray type anyway.

4) I spend a fair amount of time on the road with work and sometimes a police officer is up to an hour away from places I travel. I'd rather be safe than sorry when I have a flat tire, car problems, or something else where I am stranded.

5) My children are in college and my daughter plays soccer (footie to you peaceful blokes across the pond) for her university team. I'll spend 6-12 hours driving one way just to watch her team and I prefer to be armed when I am on the road.

6) I don't trust everyone.

7) It's a Second Amendment right.

As far as what I've seen Glock has a pretty sweet 9mm system and Springfield also has a reliable 9mm too. Perhaps a visit to the local indoor range is in order where I can shoot a few before making my decision.

Thank you everyone for your comments.
Samsonite, I was way off!

flymia

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:27 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):

Here you go: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/v...ith-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

Lets remember that in cases where shooters are stopped by someone with a concealed weapon we don't actually know what damage could have been done, well because there was a good guy with a gun. Lets also keep in mind that the vast majority of mass shootings happen where guns are prohibited. When there is a rare case of a shooter where guns are not, or where there are a good amount of police the shootings typically end quickly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Lo...les_International_Airport_shooting

Quoting GDB (Reply 41):
What does happen is kids shooting kids, often their siblings, usually but not always by accident, same with kids shooting their parents, gun owner shooting him/her self by accident, the bad guy breaking in getting to the house gun first.

Any responsible gun owner is serious about how they carry and most importantly where they keep their guns. Such as finger print lock boxes.

[Edited 2016-04-05 18:27:47]
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

MrHMSH

Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:27 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 45):
You have a lot of bitterness about guns in the US, as many of the Queen's subjects seem to have.

Some of us are just a bit shocked at the sacrifices you make to be able to have something that isn't essential for society to function.

Quoting mham001 (Reply 45):
Have you done your part about that shocking British alcohol statistic? You might get better results working on your own problems.

What does drinking have to do with guns? Can you not actually defend your argument rather than saying 'well you have problems as well?'

Edit:
9967 people in the USA died when a driver was over the limit, compared to 240 in the UK (both 2014). That's 41 times the number for a country 5 times the size.

http://www.gov.uk/government/statist...as51-reported-drinking-and-driving

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafet...riving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

And while I'm not absolutely sold on this source, it claims that the death rate from alcohol is 2.91 in the USA compared to 1.70 in the UK.

http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alcohol/by-country/

So there's plenty of evidence that you're more likely to get killed by guns, alcohol and car crashes due to alcohol in the USA, amongst other things like drug use and violence.

[Edited 2016-04-05 18:44:59]