Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Contact Lens Thread

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:53 am

Well, this might be my first a.net post made with my contact lenses in. I say "might" not because I don't recall whether I've posted with contacts in before; but rather because I'm not sure if I have my contacts in or not.

Last week, I had contact lens "orientation" where a young feller with the patience of Job helped me learn how to put the blamed things in & take them out, which was more of a challenge than I thought it would be. The right eye was a piece o cake; the left eye took more than two hours for me to get it in there.   

I just put my contacts in, unsupervised for the first time, nearly 45 minutes ago. I think my eyes are mostly adjusted to them physically by now - the redness and tearing have greatly diminished - but, I'm still not seeing great. There's blurrage and double vision and generally not the clear eyesight that I've been anticipating for $83 per three-month supply.   

Was it like this for you when you got started with contact lenses? Did it take a while - days? weeks? - not just for the irritation to stop, but also for the hoped-for vision correction to actually become appreciable?

Pancakes are delicious.

BMI727

RE: Contact Lens Thread

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:55 am

Quoting Airstud (Thread starter):
There's blurrage and double vision and generally not the clear eyesight that I've been anticipating for $83 per three-month supply.

Are you sure they aren't in backwards?
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Mir

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:09 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):

I find if I've got them in backwards I have more discomfort, but my vision is pretty much the same.

To the OP, you might have to get used to them comfort-wise, but the vision should be fine right off the bat. If it's not, then you need to make an appointment with your optometrist to have them looked at and make sure that you've got the right lenses for you (not all are created equal, and some work better for some people).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:12 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):

I am sure of nothing.

You mean "backwards" like left-lens-in-the-right-eye, or that each lens is physically inverted?

Patience-of-Job type dude told me it's unlikely the lens would take hold if inverted. He also told me - though I had trouble believing this - that the vision correction isn't affected if the lens is inverted. (I mean wtf; I can't look through my glasses from the other side and see things...)
Pancakes are delicious.

nws2002

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:38 am

I've worn contacts since I was 18. Currently I'm wearing Dailies Total1. I like the daily disposable variety because you don't have to mess with solutions. Before I started with the daily kind I wore monthly extended wear. You wear them for 30 days, rarely taking them out, and then throw them away. I liked the idea in theory, but in practice I was always using rewetting drops and towards the end of the month I would end up taking them out each night anyways because my eyes were dry and irritated.

It sometimes takes 5-10 minutes for me to get perfect vision after putting contacts in. It's like they have to settle into place or something.

I've always found they are very uncomfortable if backward/inside out, but I can still see just fine. The easiest way to tell is to try to fold the lens together. If it folds easily into a taco shape it is correct. If the edges bend outward when you try to fold it together it is inside out. Some also have writing on them or a marker of some sort so you can easily tell, my really old brand O2 Optix did this. You can also tell just by looking at it, if the rim is flat like a soup bowl they are inside out. Not sure how much good that does some people with really bad vision though, I'm lucky to just be slightly nearsighted, my script is -1.00 in both eyes.

If you have trouble, go back and try a different brand. Every optometrist I've ever been to will let you try as many as you like. Last go around I tried 4 different ones from 3 different brands. They let me take the samples home and then I called and ordered the ones I liked the best.

Don't give up! Once you get the hang of it I find contacts to be 10x more comfortable than glasses. After wearing them for 10+ years I can put them in and take them out now without a mirror. It is also no problem to wear the fun Halloween lenses that so many people have trouble with.

[Edited 2016-04-04 20:44:43]

Airstud
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:55 am

Mmmmmmmmmmm, tacos...
Pancakes are delicious.

akiss20

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Quoting Airstud (Reply 3):

You mean "backwards" like left-lens-in-the-right-eye, or that each lens is physically inverted?

Patience-of-Job type dude told me it's unlikely the lens would take hold if inverted. He also told me - though I had trouble believing this - that the vision correction isn't affected if the lens is inverted. (I mean wtf; I can't look through my glasses from the other side and see things...)

Whether or not you need a left eye/right eye specific contact depends on your vision. If your vision in one eye is different enough than the other then you will have different strengths of contact for the two eyes (all contact cases have marks to store the right and left). I don't, so both contacts are the same and I swap them around willy-nilly.

What backwards means in this case is whether the are flipped inside out. See this image for an idea

Believe it or not, having the contact inside out won't change your vision (at least I never have noticed any different). Inside out contacts do irritate the eye substantially more in my experience. You will tell they are inside out from pain, not from sight.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Putting them in "backwards" is friggging painful but you can still see perfectly that way. I agree with others who say that it sounds like you need different lenses. It took me about a month before I was any good at putting them in, but my eyesight was perfect from the first time I put them in.

I use Acuvue dailies, and wouldn't touch anything else. The thing to watch with lenses is that they longer you wear them for (daily, weekly, monthly) the cheaper they are, but if you do wear the same lenses continually they do become more uncomfortable over time and can also become slightly discolored from my experience after multiple day wear. Dailies give the best experience for comfort and quality, but are more expensive as you are busying a lot more lenses.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Alias1024

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 4):
I like the daily disposable variety because you don't have to mess with solutions. Before I started with the daily kind I wore monthly extended wear. You wear them for 30 days, rarely taking them out, and then throw them away. I liked the idea in theory, but in practice I was always using rewetting drops and towards the end of the month I would end up taking them out each night anyways because my eyes were dry and irritated.

Both my wife and I found that dailies are much more difficult to handle. They seem to be thinner since they don't have to hold up for a month. Where I can put the 30 day lenses in with virtually no effort, the dailies easily fold over on themselves and seem to take much longer to settle into the right position. Right now I'm using 30 day lenses, with one eye having a toric lens, and it takes just a few blinks for them to be in the right position.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Aesma

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 pm

I started to need glasses at 16 so I was not too happy about it, and tried lenses. However they were the "hard" kind, made out of glass or something like that, supposed to slow down any worsening of my vision. That try didn't go well as one lense went behind the eye, quite the effort to get it out.

16 years later I haven't tried again. Would have been useful to have lenses that one time I had a problem with my glasses while freefalling from 12000ft, but I managed. In fact I feel my eyes are protected, I don't worry about things hurting them.

Then I have astigmatism in one eye, difficult to correct (expensive) and needing to put the lense not only the right way in, but also vertically.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

zckls04

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:21 pm

Some people just don't take to contacts. I didn't, even after trying them for 3 months or so. Things never got better. Ended up getting them lasered.
Four Granavox Turbines!

Alias1024

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:48 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 9):
Then I have astigmatism in one eye, difficult to correct (expensive) and needing to put the lense not only the right way in, but also vertically.

Toric lenses, which correct for astigmatism, are more expensive but not outrageously so. Mine are about $25 per year more for the eye that needs them. Also, they have become much better as far as orientation and I pay no attention to its orientation when putting it in my eye. A few blinks and it self-orients and I'm good to go. Some brands are better than others with this.

YVRLTN

Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:05 am

There's blurrage and double vision and generally not the clear eyesight that I've been anticipating

Yeah, this is very abnormal. I dont feel them in at all. Do you have different prescriptions for each eye? Maybe you have them crossed. It was a nuisance having different strengths, a fat L and R written on the box fixed it, but my eyes settled and are the same now, so one less thing to think about.

Did it take a while - days? weeks?

A few days. Make sure you clean your eyes out too. Rinsing with water causes irritation so dont do that, but clean your hands (and make sure all soap is removed   ) and manually gently remove "sleepy goo" and eyelashes from the eyelids and corners. Its really irritating if even the tiniest bit of that gets underneath it. Thats my biggest issue with lenses and it can cause irritation all day. You also have to get in the habit of taking them in and out prior to touching any other bathroom substances and that your hands are clean and dry and lint free.

I wear daily disposables too. My optometrist recommended them versus monthly (primarily because they make more money!!) as monthlies, even sat in solution, can pick up bacteria as they age and its not good for your eyes for that to then live on them for the day. That is basically eliminated with the daily disposals, particularly if you are in a high dirt area which includes regular pollution in a big city.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Beardown91737

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:41 am

I started wearing in 1984. Having a 1 year old grab my glasses and fling them made it a good idea.

It took the doctor about 10 minutes to get the first lens in. After that it was very easy.

Quoting Airstud (Reply 3):

That is all true. If you do feel irritation when putting a lens in, it can be from an inverted lens, or from a piece of hair or fuzzy dust. It can also be from a torn lens (just a 1mm tear near the edge will do it). Also if the lenses feel scratchy or gritty, it may be time for a new pair, or at least rub. I get paid twice a month so use payday as my lens change day.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Aaron747

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:47 am

I've elected to wear glasses since I was 25 and an FAA medical required them, and later found they further enhanced the attention garnered from the female species. Have not looked back since...
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seahawk

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 am

After 5 minutes they should sit perfectly. I am using them for 7 years now and have no problems at all. You problems sound a like a damaged lens. Even a tiny cut will mean that they won´t settle correctly and has you are just learning how to use them, this happens quickly.

Once you get used to them, I always suggest to try cleaning solutions of different brands. I found out that Alcon OptiFree makes them feel like new even in the last week of the months. With oter solutions they became harder and less flexible.

seat64k

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:44 am

OP are you near or far sighted? I'm near sighted - in that I have better vision near than far, although I not 100% - and I find reading the computer screen with the contacts in is not great - much better than without anything but not as good as glasses. I wouldn't assume to know why though.

As for getting used to them: For me the vision was perfect immediately. In fact, when I walked home after the fitting with the contacts in, I was blown away by the world around me. Before getting contacts, I wore glasses but only used them when I had to read.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:06 am

Quoting seat64k (Reply 16):
OP are you near or far sighted?

Eye doc tells me I'm far-sighted (he and my accountant are gonna duke that one out), except when I first went to him two years ago, I walked out with a scrip for reading yes READING glasses. So far that make sense, as readage is a near thing, and indeed with those glasses on I couldn't make out road signs, or the clock on the wall.

In the past 1½ years, it has become the case that I can't make out the road signs as well as I used to. I can still make out, say, the ONCOMING PICKUP TRUCK, so we're ok in that regard, but up in the Rogers area there's some signs near the 94 directing you to "141st" and from a not-unreasonable distance, I truly thought the sign said "idiot."

(So this might all be less opthalmology and more psychology...)

With the contacts in (I'm still so new to them that I haven't left the house with them in yet; I want to see if I can keep them in safely for a few hours but still be near a mirror and sink if I need to be), it looks like I'll be better at distances, once I get used to having them in properly. The digital clock on my range was legible from halfway across my apartment, which it didn't use to be.

But then how is that far-sightedness, like the eye doc said I have?   

My eyes are steely blue.

(So... they've got that going for them...)
Pancakes are delicious.

seahawk

Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:23 am

You probably had this condition since you were born, but far sightness can be corrected by the muscles in the eye when you are young. As you get older the muscles are no longer able to correct as much. So you typically need help with reading first, then you also need help for viewing far. When you get even older you will need different correction values for near use and far use. I am in the same boat.

One thing that is often overlooked is that glasses for far sightness have quite a magnifying effect, contacts do not. So contacts need to have a bit more correction to compensate. (I use +0,25)

joacocifuentes

Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:11 pm

I once wore the two contacts in the same eye for an entire day, thought I was going blind, doctor laughed at me and wondered how I managed to do that haha

gocaps16

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:58 am

Sounds likes you are wearing your contacts backwards. I started wearing contacts when I was 14 and I am 32. I just never liked the feel of glasses and when I am flying. I am going for the PRK option later this year. (I am on the waitlist) It's free since the Navy will be doing the procedure. I have been hearing nothing but great results. Contacts are great but it is too expensive having to buy a years worth of contacts and a box of disinfection solution which is a monthly supply. Now I am paying for my wife's contacts as she is now wearing them. Just don't sleep with your contacts on. It's a bad habit.

richcandy

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:30 am

Hi

I'm currently trying Acuvue multifocal. My distance vision was over corrected with laser surgery a few years ago so when I wear these lenses it feels as I can't see as far as I can without the lenses. For reading my reading glasses are better but what feels really strange is that sort of mid range vision is way better than before.

Also its just easier to wear the lenses rather than carry a set of glasses round with me. So far in 3 years, the dog has eaten two pairs, I have broken one and I have lost three sets of glasses. Plus with reading glasses I never have them with me when i need them or they are downstairs when I am two floors up.

Maybe its just me but with any contact lens your vision is different that you are used to with glasses. Try and stick with it, it will get better.

Alex

Silver1SWA

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Do you have astigmatism? If so, finding a lens that will sit on your eye is challenging. I had my annual checkup last week and while my vision hasn't changed much since last year, I require new lenses because my astigmatism has changed a bit in my right eye. She had me try 4 slightly different lenses and tested how each one sat on my eye. She was determined to get it just right. I walked out with a new pair of lenses in, thinking we nailed it. Over the course of the following days I had a lot of discomfort in my right eye. Something was just...off. So I put my old lenses back in and have a follow up appointment tomorrow to try again.

Fun story. A couple years ago I received my 6 month supply. I have different strengths per eye... Because the doctor usually has a limited selection to actually give me to walk out with, the lenses I walked out with in my eyes were slightly off, but my correct lenses were ordered. When I received my lenses I put them in and my vision was AWFUL. I freaked out thinking crap! We got my prescription all wrong. The imperfect ones I walked out with were much better! Perhaps that's what I should have ordered. So a few days later before calling the doctor to express my displeasure, I had the idea to just try switching the left and right lenses. BAM my vision was perfect! Turns out the L and R stickers were on the wrong boxes! They had them reversed!

Oh and then there's accidentally putting them on inside out. Very uncomfortable and everything just seems annoyingly "off"...

So yeah, besides taking the time to get used to them in your eyes (do they still have newbies break them in by gradually increasing time in your eyes?), try switching them, L vs R, and check to make sure they aren't inside out.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:56 am

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 4):

Mmmmmmm, soup...
Pancakes are delicious.

Pellegrine

Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:09 am

ACUVUE Oasys with Hydraclear Plus are the best on the market IMO. They make ones for astigmatism too. The lenses for astigmatism are actually designed to rotate on your eye to the correct position, so they take 5-15 minutes to 'seat' properly.

I used to have very slight astigmatism in both eyes and I bought the toric lenses when they were $65+ for a 6-pack box. Now Dr. tells me my astigmatism is so slight in my left eye that it's not correctable with contacts, and in the right non-existent.

I'm nearsighted. I find that most/all contacts ruin my closeup vision when it comes to crisp details or computer work (I'd rather wear glasses), and after 6 hours I need re-wetting drops. None of them last a whole workday 'feeling fresh' IMO. I usually throw away those 2 week lenses after 4-7 days too.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

AM744

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Was it like this for you when you got started with contact lenses? Did it take a while - days? weeks? - not just for the irritation to stop, but also for the hoped-for vision correction to actually become appreciable?

The second time I gave contacts a shot, starting around 2005 I had no problem adapting, except for overcoming the uneasyness of touching my eyeballs. Technology really has made a difference for me. Those 'oxigen permeable'(?) lenses are great. No temperature difference with the eye, no dryness, no irritation. All of them being symptoms that I would experience in the early 90s.

I do have some astigmatism and have to use one toric lens. Works fine as well. I guess my new eye doctor was better this time around. She seems to have recommended the best fit. Ten years on, I've never looked back. I have all but discarded the idea of having Lasik done. Why risk it? I see 20/20 and have no night vision problems.

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 24):
ACUVUE

Yep, great brand.

Alias1024

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:24 pm

Quoting Pellegrine (Reply 24):
ACUVUE Oasys with Hydraclear Plus are the best on the market IMO. They make ones for astigmatism too. The lenses for astigmatism are actually designed to rotate on your eye to the correct position, so they take 5-15 minutes to 'seat' properly.

I tried the ACUVUE oasys toric lenses on a one week trial a few years ago and found it to be inferior at least for my eyes. It took too long to properly orient on my eye and more easily moved out of that position throughout the day. Some times it took a couple minutes for the lenses to settle into the proper orientation. I found Coopervision Biofinity lenses worked much better for me. They orient in just a few moments and stay in place all day.

ACUVUE was fine for the eye that didn't need astigmatism correction, but not so great for the other one. My optometrist said it was not the first time he'd heard similar complaints about the ACUVUE toric lenses.