Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

britannia25
Topic Author

To My Brother; Farewell Britannia 25

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:58 am

hi

I am Roseanna, the oldest sister of your blogger Britannia 25 . His name was Nicholas (Nick) and he passed away at 07.24 yesterday morning. He had pneumonia and he wasn't strong enough to fight it. He passed very peacefully, he was 31. He told me about this site and made sure that I had to tell you when he was gone.
This cancer destroyed my baby brother. He was once a boy that loved adventure and travel. I don't think he ever accepted it and we all knew he was vert sick.
He was so strange growing up, 3 girls and this boy that we had to live with. His dirty shoes and socks lying about. Awful boy. But we loved him and he loved us very much. He grew into a great young man and I am going to miss him so much.
So raise your glasses to Nick. I would post a photo but I don't know how and if I am allowed.

Regards
Roseanna, Laura and Emily (Britannia's sisters).

X

WearyDrover

RE: To My Brother; Farewell Britannia 25

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:20 am

Deepest sympathy and respect for letting us all know of the passing of your brother.

He certainly didn't intend to just give up, posting as long as he good. Despite knowing that his condition was terminal, he tried to maintain a sense of humour.

Roseanna, Laura and Emily, my best wishes to you.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

TWA772LR

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:24 am

My condolences to you and our family Roseanna. Nick had the best spirits, even better than most people without terminal cancer. He was a hoot.

God speed britannia25.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

WarRI1

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:45 am

I would also like to add my words of sympathy to you and your family. May your brother rest in peace. Thank you for letting us know.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

VapourTrails

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:49 am

Quoting britannia25 (Thread starter):
His name was Nicholas (Nick) and he passed away at 07.24 yesterday morning. He had pneumonia and he wasn't strong enough to fight it. He passed very peacefully, he was 31. He told me about this site and made sure that I had to tell you when he was gone. He was once a boy that loved adventure and travel. He grew into a great young man and I am going to miss him so much. So raise your glasses to Nick.

Hi Roseanna, thanks for posting this, at Britannia's request. My condolences to you and your family.

I will certainly raise my glass and have a drink or two to our fellow A.netter.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 2):
Nick had the best spirits, even better than most people without terminal cancer.

Yes, indeed!

Beardown91737

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:26 am

Roseanna, Laura and Emily.. sorry for your loss. Nicholas had shared this but I didn't know it was so close. During my lifetime we have made real advances in treating cancer, but we still have far to go.

My sympathy to you and Rest in Peace to Nick.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

Adipasquale

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:33 am

My condolences to you and your family, and thank you for letting us know. I was inspired by the attitude Britannia/Nick conveyed to all of us on a.net, always staying positive, and always down to talk about aviation.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 318 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77L 77W

DocLightning

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:47 am

Roseanna and family, I'm so sorry. He was a respected and well-liked member of this site and I know I speak for all of us when I tell you that we extend our deepest condolences and that we share in your sadness.

I never know what to say at times like these when a life is cut short so tragically. I wish you all strength and healing in the coming months and years.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

LittleFokker

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:03 am

Sorry for your family's loss.

It's quite a surreal experience to read about someone describing their own deteriorating condition and then ultimately learning of their passing.

I hope your family is able to retain and strengthen your bonds.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

BreninTW

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:06 am

Roseanna, Laura and Emily,

My condolences to you and your families -- I can't say I interacted much with Nick, but I can say that his attitude and openness about his cancer were truly inspirational. His sense of humour shined through the posts I read and I got the sense that he could be quite pigheaded at times, and he was planning to be as pigheaded as possible as he ended his journey on this mortal coil.

There's nothing I can say that will take away the pain of losing someone who you loved so dearly, but I hope and pray that the happy memories of your times with Nick will give you strength in the coming days and weeks, and in time that the happy memories will temper the grief you feel now.

Brendan
(Who will be raising a glass of the only beer he drinks: Gingerbeer!)

mdsh00

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:26 am

My condolences to you and your family. He will be missed.

vikkyvik

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:45 am

My sincere condolences on your loss.

While I didn't know Nick personally, all of us on this site share a passion that is no doubt quite strange to many, and that alone makes it difficult to hear about a member's passing.

I was also quite moved by his posting here for the last few months during his illness. I too had no idea this would happen so soon.

Again, my condolences, and know that he left his mark here, as I'm sure he did elsewhere.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

notaxonrotax

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:52 am

That was quick!

Wow, my deepest sympathy to you and your family and friends.

No words can improve this situation, but I just wanted to chime in......

Best of luck!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Tugger

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:55 am

Roseanna, Laura and Emily (Britannia's sisters).

My condolences to you and your family, I only know Nick/Britannia25 through A.net but he was open and shared homestly. He was respected in this odd community. I can see the same is true in his "real life".

Thank you for letting us know of his death, untimely as it is, I know it is difficult. Know he made a real impact here.

Take care and keep his memories well.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

seahawk

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:11 am

My sincere condolences on your loss.

DLFREEBIRD

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:33 am

Though I am incredibly sad to hear of his passing. I am glad your brother Nic posted here and allowed us to know his story. Most people don't talk about such things, i'm sure growing up with sisters had something to do with his ability to share himself and his plight. Thank you for letting us know. My condolences to your family on your great loss.

notaxonrotax

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:29 am

I would post a photo but I don't know how and if I am allowed.

I can make that happen if you wish......just press "Send instant MSG" above this post, and I will help you out.

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

2707200X

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:40 am

My condolences to all of the family of Britannia 25, he was a blessing to the Airliners.net community and to so many others in his life.

Farewell Nick.
"And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." John Masefield Sea-Fever

AirPacific747

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:52 am

I'm sorry to hear that. That happened very quickly. I thought he had a few months more at least.

My condolences to you and your family.

Kind regards,

johnboy

Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:33 am

What a nice post to share with us.

Much sympathy to your family. xoxox

blueflyer

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:01 am

Godspeed Nick.

X
X

britannia25
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:16 am

Hi

Thank you for your kind responees. I never understand talking to strangers on a public forum but Nick liked it and I inow he took comfort it in, He wws much more unwell than he made out, I am sure. We knew last year that he was unwell but he kept ignoring it. Yes, he was pigheaded and everything had to be done Nick's way but in the flesh he was actually a very gentle soul and quiet, He was very frigthened and his posts and blogs helped him very much. I have other people to rspond to haha.

Thank you again

Rose

na

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 am

Roseanna, this is a very nice way to spread the final news about your brother. May he fly high forever! To die at 31, how sad is that!

Strange enough, when I went to a meeting this morning, I listened to "Rule Britannia" in the car!

aloges

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:28 am

My heartfelt condolences. I was very impressed by his openness about his illness, not a lot of people have the stomach to tell others - most of them strangers - about a medical "death sentence". May he rest in peace, whatever his definition of that may be.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

andrej

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:51 am

Godspeed Nick!

flyingturtle

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:53 am

Dear Roseanna, dear Emily, dear Laura,

it saddens me that your brother had to go. I wrote with him some time ago, answering some questions on cancer I felt sure I can answer.

It saddens me that we have to mourn such a fine person who was candid with his fate. "Living well is the best revenge", and so he kept up his good spirits until the end. I am grateful to have witnessed his courage.

I am sure he's feeling well in heaven, and gets frequent visits by the planes he likes so much.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

cpd

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:06 pm

Can I just say how very sorry I am.   Your brother Nick was only four years younger than me.

From his posts on here, he fought on with great determination and grace against a terrible disease, despite being obviously terrified.

RIP.

einsteinboricua

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I am very saddened to hear about his passing. Even in the face of certain death, he kept a very cheerful spirit. That right there is something to be inspired about and to be commended. I didn't really engage with him that much, but if there's one thing to be learned from him, it's to value and live as if today were your last day.

Nick will definitely be missed and I think I speak for many when I say that he is definitely an inspiration.

I would post a photo but I don't know how and if I am allowed.

Allow me:

To Nick (brittania25): may he rest in peace, may your family be comforted, and may us all learn to enjoy life and live like there's no tomorrow, keeping a cheerful disposition even when things seem rough.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Revelation

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:14 pm

My thoughts and prayers will be with Nick, Roseanna, Laura, Emily and all Nick's friends, family and loved ones at this time of sadness.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

casinterest

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:59 pm

My thoughts and sympathies to all that his life touched.
Where ever you go, there you are.

mbmbos

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:05 pm

To Nick's sisters:

Best wishes to you, your family and to friends of Nick's. Our hearts go out to each of you.

Brittania was liked and loved on airliners.net, and he will always be remembered.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

offloaded

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:16 pm

Roseanna, thanks for letting us know. I'm very saddened to be reading this news this afternoon, particularly as it was only 4 short days ago since I posted in his distractions thread.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Godspeed Nick.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

OA412

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:46 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. He seemed to be facing his illness with a great deal of courage. It's so sad to see a life cut so short.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

jetwet1

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Oh man, I am so sorry, in my limited interactions with Nick he seemed like a great guy.

I hope your sister made it back home in time, i'm going to shot you a quick message, please read it.

RIP Nick

britannia25
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi

Yes Laura made it from Australia. It was all very quick. He seemed like he had a flu or a fever but he struggling to breathe. But as always, he was quiet and wanted no fuss. But he wanted his sisters and mum and dad. we all went with him and we had to stay by him. He wouldn't let us go, most with our youunger sister Emily. He was calmed down in the hospital and it was very very peaceful. We held our boy as he left and we didn't know what to do after, i still dont but it is all very busy, i can see now why he liked to blog. i know nothing about planes and we laughed at him when we were younger for his magazines and models. But thank you for supporting him and your messages are a comfort to us,
I will find a nice photo. give me time. thank you again.

pvjin

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, I followed the earlier threads and he seemed to be very courageous until the end. My condolences to you and your family.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

Flighty

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:30 pm

So sorry, excellent fellow, wish him well and family too

sccutler

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:43 pm

A friend I never met flying west.

Tailwinds, Britannia25. I shall, indeed, hoist a cold one in your name tonight.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

dc10bhx

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:58 pm

I am so sorry to have read this message. For someone who came over as so up-beat in his
attitude to life to be taken away so quickly is a real upset. Please accept my condolences to
you and all your Family for your loss.

We as A-nutters seem to be a weird bunch at first but once you interact with us after a while
you can see that we all seem to watch out for each other and it is news like this that really
brings out the best in all we say and do.

As mentioned in previous posts I shall be sure to raise a glass of something In Memory of
your Brother tonight.

It may seem silly to say this but if ever you need to vent or just to chat to someone you would
do a lot worse than this website to find someone who will listen and offer advice
(try stopping some of them offering advice!).

You and Your Family are amongst friends on this site, and Nick will be in our prayers as well.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

DocLightning

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Britannia 25: Godspeed and fly high.

http://photos.plane-mad.com/1/large/1572.jpg
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

IADCA

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Roseanna (and Laura and Emily as well),

I'm sorry for your loss. I appreciate you taking the time to come on here and letting us know. Nick was well liked on here, where I think he found some kindred spirits. I hope we were able to bring him some joy or at least a few laughs, especially in his last days. He certainly brought some to us. And he seemed to face his final illness with a lot of toughness, honesty, and selflessness. I can't speak for all, but that certainly made me admire him all the more. I will indeed raise a glass to your brother this evening.

golfradio

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Sorry to hear about Nick/Britannia25's passing. Though I never knew him personally, I read his posts about his cancer and was amazed at his Joie de vivre. He never lost his spirits.

May he forever rest in peace.
CSeries forever. Bring back the old site.

britannia25
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Sorry, the picture of the aeroplane has made us cry but laugh too. It was his first flight and we flew with that company many times. He loved Britannia. Bless him. Thank you xxx

DocLightning

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting britannia25 (Reply 42):

Sorry, the picture of the aeroplane has made us cry but laugh too. It was his first flight and we flew with that company many times. He loved Britannia. Bless him. Thank you xxx

We're airline enthusiasts. We know what's up.  
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

PlymSpotter

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:17 pm

I'm very sorry to hear this - my condolences to you and your family.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

diverted

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:28 pm

To echo those above, condolences, and a drink will be raised in Nick's honour tonight.

Crazy to think that he was on here posting, what, 3 days ago? Never led on quite how bad things were, and he always kept light hearted, even when he was posting from the hospital.

Sorry for your loss.

solarflyer22

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:51 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 45):

To echo those above, condolences, and a drink will be raised in Nick's honour tonight.

Same, he seemed like a great guy and I am sure he contributed as much in real life as he did to our online community. His message on testicular cancer was well received by me and I made a point to mention it to my younger friends to check. It's something that doesn't get much attention sadly. Hopefully they will find a cure some time soon. He will be missed.

HELyes

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:15 am

Deepest sympathy and respect for letting us know.

I recently lost my sister to rare GIST cancer, unlike your brother she turned inside, didn't want to talk about the cancer and how serious the situation actually was. It was hard not to know what was going on but it was her choice and I have to respect that.

bluejuice

Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:30 am

Godspeed Britannia25. You will be missed.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

Francoflier

Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:39 am

So long, Nick.

You gave it a good go, and were unfairly taken off the game.
At least you are now free from this crazy and unjust World.

To Roseanna, Laura and Emily,
I feel deeply for your loss. Nick seemed a fantastic and definitely courageous young man.
He did tell us how much he loved you.
I hope you can find it to remain positive and happy despite his passing. Us left behind are the ones who have to keep going forward.

All the best.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.