Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hoons90

RE: To My Brother; Farewell Britannia 25

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:05 am

I'm truly sorry for your loss, and your brother will be remembered for his optimism, strength and courage!

Rest in peace, Nick.  
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:47 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. May your happy memories of Nick bring each of you comfort in the days ahead.

Godspeed Britannia25.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sturmovik

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:59 am

So sorry to hear this. While I did not know him personally, I read his threads about his illness, and his courage was inspiring. Godspeed, Britannia25. Scope out the spotting locations for us on the other side.
'What's it doing now?'

SOBHI51

Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:12 am

Rest in peace Britannia25, your courage and strength was an inspiration to people fighting against cancer.

My sincere condolences to his family.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

QFA380

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:14 am

So sad to hear of Nick passing, I was upset when he first told us he had terminal cancer. A young guy in the prime of his life who loves planes; describes many of us, hit me personally a bit too close to home that it could easily be me or any of my mates.

I certainly appreciated his honesty with us and telling his story. I'll definitely be keeping a better eye on myself and sharing his story.

I hope everyone has a great send off for Nick and I'll be lifting a drink to him tonight. RIP.

MIAspotter

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Wow.

I don´t know what to say, truly sad to hear about Nick passing, I followed his posts and he seemed to have a positive outlook on things, he knew what was coming but he wasn´t just going to give up, and fighted on.

It´s always saddenning to see such a young person fell victim to such a cruel sickness, but he is in a much better place now, watching over his loved ones and free of pain and suffering, enjoying clear blue skies and his beloved planes leaving contrails.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

Positive rate, gear up...

Godspeed buddy.   

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

af773atmsp

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:25 am

I was going to send him a message thinking he had more time but unfortunately not so.   Learning about his illness and how young he was made me realize to check myself just in case, but he also showed me that it's important to live life to the fullest while we're here, so I thank him for that. RIP Nick.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

BNE

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:22 am

Hi Roseanna, thank you for the update,

Every often in message boards you communicate with people then they just disappear, some find new hobbys and then there are others who have died before their time.

RIP Nick, I didn't realize your time would be up so soon.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

britannia25
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:59 am

Thank you tor all your words, I would like to post a photo but this is all very new to me and I don't want it to be misused or shared very publiclly. My brother was so strange, he was very private in so many ways and never used Facebook or Twitter but he blogged away privately and had many followers and it's all a bit of a revelation to us, The nurses adored him in the hospital and he was very popular. I know everybody would say this but it is true. The Cancer was too muxh for him but he did his best, I am angry at him though as we could all see that he was sick but he kept ignoring it, We couldn't make him see what was happening and to the person that called him pigheaded, never a word more true, But he was kind and sensitive. I have said enough but thanks again. Roseanna

BreninTW

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:44 am

Quoting britannia25 (Reply 58):
I have said enough but thanks again. Roseanna

Roseanna,

My thoughts are that you should say what you need to say -- you're mourning someone who was very special to you, and he was someone who was very respected on this forum. We're a strange bunch of people, who will jump up and down and shout about someone using a word in the non-standard way, but as I'm sure you've noticed, we come together to support our own (and their families). I, for one, enjoy reading your memories, because they tell a story of a young man who was loved unconditionally by his family, and to me, that is the most beautiful story to read.

If you find it helpful, keep on talking about Nick here -- talk about the good times and the frustrations if you need to. I'm sure there will always be someone willing to jump in and listen or give advice.

You have every right to be angry with Nick -- it's all part of the grieving process. I know we've all gone through those times when you think of someone "if only you'd listened to me, then this situation would be completely different." There will be days when the anger will subside, and others where the anger will be almost overwhelming. It's natural and all part of the journey you and your family have started. One thing I would advise is that if you find the anger is not allowing you to move on with the grief process, contact a grief counsellor. In the end, I believe it's important for your own health to forgive Nick -- and to forgive yourself for not pushing harder or insisting more ... or for doing whatever you think might have changed the situation.

Bren

britannia25
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:37 am

Thank you. He just would not see it. Everything had to be Nick's way but at the same time he was so kind and funny. Emily and mum had to fly and get him from Spain just before his diagnosis because he waned to eat tapas and drink wine. but he was so ill and he just would not accept it, Chemo was his worst nightmare and it meant the end to him and it meant so much he tried to explain. I never listened to him and none of us did but Emily did, We shouted at him to get on with it gtu he was so so scared, Oh Nick baby boy I am so so sorry and we haven't even buried you yet xxxxxxxxx

zckls04

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:37 am

My brother was so strange,

Not to those on this forum. He was one of us.

Quoting solarflyer22 (Reply 46):
His message on testicular cancer was well received by me and I made a point to mention it to my younger friends to check.

Ditto.
Four Granavox Turbines!

777Jet

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:57 am

This is so sad to read...  

Roseanna, thank you for the update - my condolences to all of Nick's family and friends...   

Rest In Peace and God Speed britannia25...   
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

cpd

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:13 am

Thank you tor all your words, I would like to post a photo but this is all very new to me and I don't want it to be misused or shared very publiclly. My brother was so strange, he was very private in so many ways and never used Facebook or Twitter but he blogged away privately and had many followers and it's all a bit of a revelation to us, The nurses adored him in the hospital and he was very popular. I know everybody would say this but it is true. The Cancer was too muxh for him but he did his best, I am angry at him though as we could all see that he was sick but he kept ignoring it, We couldn't make him see what was happening and to the person that called him pigheaded, never a word more true, But he was kind and sensitive. I have said enough but thanks again. Roseanna

Your brother wasn't strange at all - many of us never use facebook or twitter, yet we participate in forums like this, as I'm doing now talking to you. You did absolutely everything you could have done, please, don't be angry - he was scared, as anyone probably would be. It's absolutely normal that you are angry with your brother, because he is no longer around anymore, and you miss him.

Talking about it is a good thing, and try to remember the good times, rather than the sad ones, however hard that is.

rta

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 am

Its hard to convey condolences online, especially as I didn't know him personally. But as a fellow a.netter and member of the community, I'm very saddened to hear about this.  

Rest in peace.

FlyDeltaJetsATL

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:35 am

Rest in peace britannia25.

Thank you for making others more aware of the importance of checking for cancer.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and friends.

Jesse
FLY DELTA JETS

Francoflier

Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:57 am

I am angry at him though as we could all see that he was sick but he kept ignoring it,

He told us how much he regretted not having listened to the warning signs (and you!) until it was too late.
He unfortunately paid the ultimate price for that lesson.

If anything, he tried his hardest to pass the message on to us.

Yes, we are all weird fanatics of all things aviation, spending unhealthy amounts of time on this website.
If you keep Nick's profile alive and ever have a question about airplanes or airlines, you know where to find us.  
It might help keep his memory alive.

All the best.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

photopilot

Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:10 am

A sad moment for everyone. My condolences to the family at this time of loss.
Steve.

VapourTrails

Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:03 am

My brother was so strange, he was very private in so many ways and never used Facebook or Twitter but he blogged away privately and had many followers and it's all a bit of a revelation to us.

Hi again Roseanna,

I find your revelations a very interesting read and thank you for sharing them. My family and friends don't know or don't care about my contributions or the amount of time I spend on here. I thought, one day they and a future generation may stumble across the forum, and find it enlightning in the years to come, that insight about a person and what made them tick and their passion, with other people who are like them.

The fact that Nick told you and asked you to contribute for him, has really set a precedent, and what a great idea that he has involved you in this part of this life.

I understand you thinking that his approach was strange, I can imagine my own family saying a similar thing. Life's rich tapestry and all that.  
Quoting BreninTW (Reply 59):
My thoughts are that you should say what you need to say -- you're mourning someone who was very special to you, and he was someone who was very respected on this forum. We're a strange bunch of people, who will jump up and down and shout about someone using a word in the non-standard way, but as I'm sure you've noticed, we come together to support our own (and their families). I, for one, enjoy reading your memories, because they tell a story of a young man who was loved unconditionally by his family, and to me, that is the most beautiful story to read.

Yes, indeed. Me too.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 61):

I went back and read some of Nick's posts from about ten years ago too, I sensed his excitement about where his career was at and what he was doing with his life.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 66):
If anything, he tried his hardest to pass the message on to us.

Yes, and that is one of his legacies on here. Like many of us, he wanted to contribute and help when and where he could.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 66):
Yes, we are all weird fanatics of all things aviation, spending unhealthy amounts of time on this website. If you keep Nick's profile alive and ever have a question about airplanes or airlines, you know where to find us.
It might help keep his memory alive.

What a great idea.   

=

[Edited 2016-04-14 23:36:34]

melpax

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:42 am

So very sorry to hear this.

Just goes to show how very quickly things can change. Take nothing for granted, you never know what's around the corner....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

jacobin777

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:31 am

Quoting britannia25 (Thread starter):
Roseanna, Laura and Emily

Roseanna,

I'm sorry to hear about Nick. My sincere condolences to you and your family.
"Up the Irons!"

mandala499

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:43 am

Reseanna,
After losing my mother, and my cousin, to cancer, and having another member of the extended family dying to cancer, my sympathies go to your family. May you all be strong through this loss. Nick was very courageous in discussing his end, and reminds us, yet again, that it can strike any of us, yet we must also live our lives to the fullest.

My condolences.
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Klaus

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:17 pm

This is very sad to hear.

Thank you for telling us, though.

My thoughts are with you and with Nick.

Ken777

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:03 am

I would like to join all of the other posters with my sympathies and best wishes for you and your family.

When Nick first posted his condition he was met with warm, best wishes, prayers and hopes for his future. Like Nick we all had hopes that his new chemo treatments would be successful. Like other chemo patients Nick's ability to fight infections is zero. I believe that the condition is called neutropenic and when an infection hits that infection can kill very quickly.

I have to admit that I am very grateful for Nick posting about this condition and trying to motivate men in his age range to check themselves on a regular basis and to see a doctor if there is a change they find unusual. His efforts in this area will be critically important for some readers, or their friends, in the future and I have no doubt that his words will, at some point, help identify cancer in multiple men, and will probably save some lives. I like to think that Nick ;will be watching down on us and smiling when he saves another live. This is the are where Nick will live on and I hope that you and your family can appreciate this.

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 61):

i had to smile at this because this board has a very wide variety of people, from a wide range of countries and we have a wide range of ages, religions, political thought, etc. Nick fit right in. like the rest of us, felt like we fit right in.