Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Why Do Stormtroopers Aim So Badly?

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:21 am

Yes, it's about this picture I've recently seen on Teh Webz.

Why do people always miraculously survive hailstorms of bullets? What do these people in the films right? Why can't we teach soldiers these important survival tactics?

I've just recently seen the "Dollars Trilogy" by director Leone, composer Morricone and main actor Eastwood. In "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" Tuco points out a very important thing... a man approaches Tuco who's enjoying a bubble bath, wielding a revolver. Tuco shoots him, his gun concealed in the bubbles. Tuco: "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

Well, what are the most egregious movie tropes you can think of?

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

fr8mech

RE: Why Do Stormtroopers Aim So Badly?

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:32 am

Because, if the hero dies in the beginning of the movie, the movie will suck...unless it's Game of Thrones.

[Edited 2016-04-15 02:33:09]
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Nicoeddf

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:33 am

The A-Team and their adversaries...  
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

tommy1808

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:35 am

Quoting nicoeddf (Reply 2):
The A-Team and their adversaries...

at least both sides shoot equally bad...
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

dragon-wings

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:40 am

Not a movie, but have you ever watched The A-Team? So many shoot outs and not one person was ever shot!
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

dragon-wings

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:45 am

Looks like we were all thinking A-Team.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 1):
Because, if the hero dies in the beginning of the movie, the movie will suck...unless it's Game of Thrones.

Of course. But it's boring because you know he'll survive being fired at. But the HOW could be more interesting. How about a ruse to kill 10 of the attackers? Even in real battles, the soldiers have to use cunning tactics like surprise and camouflage.

Looking back at the Sergio Leone westerns - these tropes were skillfully avoided. And I now remember the three golden rules of movie scripts:
1. The actor has to deal with major obstacles. Otherwise, he would not be a hero.
2. Nothing in the story is predictable. Otherwise, the film will be boring and called The Cure For Insomnia.
3. Yet everything must be believable. Characters have clear but sometimes hidden motives.

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 5):
Looks like we were all thinking A-Team.

I totally enjoyed it, because it was the last time heavy doses of violence were shown in family TV. And A-Team centered around the quirky team and their ingenious ways of dealing with situations. I really miss A-Team. At least everything looked honest, like children throwing balls at each other, while you expect Stormtroopers to be deadly.

David

FlyingColours

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 am

The thing with the A-Team is nobody could "die", remember when during those awesome chases the "bad guys" (either crooks, coppers or the military) would crash their car or jeep & usually flip it over and yet there would always be a shot of them climbing out of it afterwards?

There is a scene in Blackadder Goes Forth, where Lord Flashart comes to rescue Blackadder and the Red Baron turns up and starts giving a very good monologue about two aerial combat fighter pilots who are the best and all that before Flashart just pulls out a revolver and blow him away, again goes to the old addage of don't talk just shoot.

As for shooting and not hitting anything, what about most of Schwarzenegger's films - crikey just watch "Commando" the dozens & dozens of troops can't hit him but by God he can hit them with pinpoint accuracy.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

WearyDrover

Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:56 am

In the Stargate series O'Neill, Carter, Jackson and Teal'C were fortunate that the Jaffa couldn't point and shoot if their lives depended on it. Just imagine if Ra had employed competent soldiers. How very different things would be with decency and doing the right thing consigned to the dust if history.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

moo

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:15 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 8):

In the Stargate series O'Neill, Carter, Jackson and Teal'C were fortunate that the Jaffa couldn't point and shoot if their lives depended on it. Just imagine if Ra had employed competent soldiers. How very different things would be with decency and doing the right thing consigned to the dust if history.

In the Star Gate series, the Jaffa were tools of oppression, not really intended to be combat troops - the teams from Earth were an aberration, not normality in the Goa'uld sphere of influence and wars between System Lords were few and far between.

The Jaffa were were more akin to the muscle employed by Barons and Lords in medieval England, as opposed to a professional standing army.

And if its accuracy that you are really questioning, just remember that even today most troops cant shoot for love nor money - for true accuracy, your squad may have a designated marksman....

WearyDrover

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:30 am

Quoting moo (Reply 9):
And if its accuracy that you are really questioning

Dearie me.

I thought the thread was meant to be humorous.
A man may learn wisdom even from a foe - Aristophanes

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:31 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 7):
crikey just watch "Commando" the dozens & dozens of troops can't hit him but by God he can hit them with pinpoint accuracy.

Oh yes, I remember this one clearly! But it's acceptable in this genre - people want mindless pew-pew. They specifically watch this kind of movie for that reason. But I don't expect such a scene in a quality movie. Sorry, no easy way out for any of the protagonists.

And how does it come that one single fighter is not overwhelmed by 20 or more people shooting at him? Any army instructor would kill to know this...

David

moo

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:43 am

Quoting WearyDrover (Reply 10):
I thought the thread was meant to be humorous.

No, just tired.

Aesma

Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:49 am

What about movies where the hero does get shot, but goes on no problem ? Sometimes with several bullet wounds.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

cjg225

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Two words: plot armor.

Stormtroopers are the mooks, the Rent-A-Henchman, the 1-800-EVIL-UNDERLING of Star Wars. They cannot prevail over any of the heroes, and at most will graze a hero to add suspense to a scene before the hero overcomes the injury like a boss to knock out the baddies. The heroes cannot be seriously harmed or killed by a mook. That is reserved solely for a Big Bad, if it happens at all. The same can't be said for background good-guys, like nameless friendly troops. But, they're nameless... so they don't really count.

This drives me insane in most movies. Though I am a dyed-in-the-wool light-side/good-guy fan and pretty much never root for any "bad" characters, I hate that opposing enemy henchmen are so incompetent in virtually every movie. I've been banging my fist on the table for 20+ years about seeing competent Stormtroopers in Star Wars media (books, games, movies, or other). Probably not going to get that any time soon. Even the new teaser for Rogue One shows two separate instances of an individual person using a melee weapon to absolutely rail numerous Stormtroopers.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

MD11Engineer

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:34 pm

Quoting moo (Reply 9):
The Jaffa were were more akin to the muscle employed by Barons and Lords in medieval England, as opposed to a professional standing army.

But the medieval men at arms and especially the archers had to undergo training (in case of the archers since childhood to build up the necessary muscles). And the leaders, especially the Condotierre, leading armies o mercenaries, wanted to win.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

StarAC17

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 1):

If movies were about realism then movies basically wouldn't exist.

Quoting flyingturtle (Thread starter):
Why do people always miraculously survive hailstorms of bullets? What do these people in the films right? Why can't we teach soldiers these important survival tactics?

Again they're movies.

Also if anyone is familiar with the youtube channel CinemaSins when they did episode IV of Star Wars the narrator laughs his @$$ off when Obi-Wan makes the claim that Storm Troopers are accurate.

[Edited 2016-04-15 05:55:23]
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

cjg225

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 16):
Also if anyone is familiar with the youtube channel CinemaSins when they did episode IV of Star Wars the narrator laughs his @$$ off when Obi-Wan makes the claim that Storm Troopers are accurate.

Which is what *really* bugs me about how bad Stormtroopers are... That line makes it so much worse.

I kind of get, but don't really buy, the argument that their aim was awful in the Death Star because they were ordered to let the heroes escape so that Vader and Tarkin could find Yavin IV. But their awful aim when they attack Han in Docking Bay 94? Uh.............

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Then it's disturbing that only a few people can create a realistic but yet thrilling movie. Fred Zinneman's "The Day of the Jackal", anybody? Or "The Martian" or "Interstellar", which both are pretty accurate? Or "The Professional", the 1981 film with Jean-Paul Belmondo?

It's all fiction. One can invent stories that are still credible, even if they involve the assassination of a well-protected head of state.

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 14):

My words. Thanks. These set pieces like "Henchman gives a lengthy talk, letting the good guy escape" are not necessary for a good plot. Knowing that the protagonists can walk through a hail of bullets, I lower my expectations: Hey, they'll find an easy way out!

A good story is always about solving a desperate situation.

David

casinterest

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 17):
Which is what *really* bugs me about how bad Stormtroopers are... That line makes it so much worse.

Everyone has to remember that Stormtroopers do not aim badly. The Force just redirects the shots.

Look at what happened to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Look at all Jawas, All the Bothan spies.

Our view of the Stormtroopers is always from the perspective of a force sensitive person.

That's my theory. Sticking with it.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 19):
Everyone has to remember that Stormtroopers do not aim badly. The Force just redirects the shots.

Our view of the Stormtroopers is always from the perspective of a force sensitive person.

Well, well, well...

...and why didn't the Stormtroopers research better ways to fight Luke, Leia and his friends? 

Are the experts like Yoda so rare?

David

wingman

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:35 pm

Also remember that through Rey we now know that most Storm Troopers are kidnapped children and they don't really like fighting. They're like draft soldiers vs. enlisted, they just don't have the natural aim that comes with wanting to kill.

Anyway, I just watched Force Awakens a second time at home and it was even better this time.

casinterest

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 20):
...and why didn't the Stormtroopers research better ways to fight Luke, Leia and his friends?

Are the experts like Yoda so rare?

The Stormtroopers....research?
We are talking about the same group that couldn't identify the droids they were looking for   Right?

The experts aren't rare, but the force sensitive folks are abundant. This is why Vadar was smart enough to hire bounty hunters, and let Jaba deal with Han Solo.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

Osubuckeyes

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Quoting wingman (Reply 21):

Also remember that through Rey we now know that most Storm Troopers are kidnapped children and they don't really like fighting. They're like draft soldiers vs. enlisted, they just don't have the natural aim that comes with wanting to kill.

I believe that is just from the newest one. The original Trilogy Stormtroopers are clones, though throughout the years of the empire with delayed construction of the death star, and having to construct a second death star have really had dial down the quality of the Storm Trooper training and development programs via sequestration.

wingman

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Yeah, but still..if the original clones had had any kind of decent aim the Dark Side wouldn't have needed Death Stars in the first place..you feel me? It's a conundrum. Bottom line, I think the Force is going to come out on top in the end.

moo

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:11 pm

You mean Fin  
Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 23):
I believe that is just from the newest one. The original Trilogy Stormtroopers are clones, though throughout the years of the empire with delayed construction of the death star, and having to construct a second death star have really had dial down the quality of the Storm Trooper training and development programs via sequestration.

Whether the original trilogy troopers were still clones is an often debated point, and previous to Disney culling the extended universe from canon it was accepted that while there were still a few clone troopers around, most Storm Troopers were enlisted men.

wingman

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Doh! Was still working my way through the first cuppa.

Dano1977

Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Quoting dragon-wings (Reply 4):
Not a movie, but have you ever watched The A-Team? So many shoot outs and not one person was ever shot!

Almost every episode climaxed with explosions and gunfire and bad guys flying every which way, but no one ever actually got hurt. Crooks were shown scrambling out of cars before they blew up, or running away after being thrown from a window.

The only on-screen death was the death-by-explosion one implied of General Fulbright in “The Sound of Thunder.”
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:35 am

My 10 year old son asked me, just this afternoon, why do villains always try to sway the good guy over to their side, or try some weird torture type death, or just keep talking to the good guy instead of kill him when he captures him.

I said "that would make for a short movie, no?"

He shrugged, said "yup, but it's still stupid."

Gotta love that kid.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

StarAC17

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:52 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 18):
Then it's disturbing that only a few people can create a realistic but yet thrilling movie.

There are some but movies are about entertainment more than realism.

The realistic ones are usually not action or science fiction, you want a realistic movie then watch one that doesn't have special effects and usually based on something true. Examples being: The Big Short, Spotlight, Apollo 13 etc.

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 18):
Or "The Martian" or "Interstellar", which both are pretty accurate? Or "The Professional", the 1981 film with Jean-Paul Belmondo?

The Martian is really realistic but I will point one major hole in it. A sandstorm on Mars would be a mild breeze to Humans because of how thin the atmosphere is.

Quoting casinterest (Reply 19):

I seemed to recall an Epic Fail on Endor and they were not shooting at Leia the whole time   .

cjg225

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:27 am

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 23):

I don't believe that is canon.

Quoting moo (Reply 25):
Whether the original trilogy troopers were still clones is an often debated point, and previous to Disney culling the extended universe from canon it was accepted that while there were still a few clone troopers around, most Storm Troopers were enlisted men.

Agreed. But I think the official explanation is still that they are not clones. As much as I think Rebels is atrocious, it does maintain the idea that Stormies are *not* clones.

Anyway, I just watched Force Awakens a second time at home and it was even better this time.
Rebels establishes that they're not kidnapped children, at least in the years leading up to ANH. The First Order operated differently.

seb146

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:27 am

What I can't stand are these movies and TV shows where supposed big time criminals and professional hit men miss.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MD11Engineer

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:10 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 29):

The realistic ones are usually not action or science fiction, you want a realistic movie then watch one that doesn't have special effects and usually based on something true. Examples being: The Big Short, Spotlight, Apollo 13 etc.

Oh, they used special effects, but they used them as a tool, e.g. to simulate realistic conditions in outer space for Apollo 13, not as a gimmick.

Another thing is that up to the 1970s most countries had national service, so that at least the male actors had usually done at least military basic training and "survival on the battlfield" and had some ideas how to act realistically under fire (not to speak of the movies just done after WW2, where many actors had real combat experience). The British army basic infantry tactics manual of 1944 has a chapter called "Battle inocculation", in which the ecruits would be exposed to live fire by marksmen, e.g. having to crawl beneath live machin gun fire, or having rounds fired into tree trunks etc. close to them, so that they would know the crack and thump of a real rifle shoot and train under dangwrous conditions.

Back in the 1930s, studios would somtimes hire marksmen to fre live rounds close to the actors. I have seen a gangster film sequence from the 1930s on Youtube and a picture of the stage setup while making the movie. The main character peers around a corner out of an alleyway, and a burst of submachine gun fire hits the wall beside him. He realistically flinches and pulls back into the alleyway.
The photograph of the set shows a marksman with a Thompson Model 1928 Submachine Gun Sitting on a platform slightly behind and above the camera. During the scene he fires a burst of real bullets into the wall, about two feet away from the actor's face.
Unfortunately I can't find the picture and footage anymore.

Today his would be banned due to health and safety.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

StarAC17

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:52 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):
My 10 year old son asked me, just this afternoon, why do villains always try to sway the good guy over to their side, or try some weird torture type death, or just keep talking to the good guy instead of kill him when he captures him.

Has he seen Austin Powers yet?

They mock that premise hilariously  

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 28):

I like your son!

The Martian is really realistic but I will point one major hole in it. A sandstorm on Mars would be a mild breeze to Humans because of how thin the atmosphere is.

Yes - the sandstorm. Or in "Back to the Future", the whole film rests on one assumption - that time travel is possible! As soon as you're willing to accept time travel (or the sandstorm in "The Martian"), the rest of the film is extremely realistic. I haven't yet seen The Martian, but I really look forward to it.

As somebody with a science degree, I really like to think "Oh, they can't escape that way. It's impossible." - and then, I'm much more amazed when I see that they've found a credible way to overcome their predicament.

Wink
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 32):

I think higher combat casualties are acceptable in film-making.

David

[Edited 2016-04-16 07:40:38]

tommy1808

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 34):
I'm much more amazed when I see that they've found a credible way to overcome their predicament.

I can see how that scene came about....

Writer: "How could he get out? MMmmmmh..... He could get in a refrigerator, polyurethane foam is a fairly decent protection against neutron radiation i think. Eureka!"

month later:

Producer "A fridge? Really? How good is that???"
Writer "Well, polyurethane foam is a fairly good...... "
Producer "How many of the viewers do you think actually know that?"
Writer "Well, Indie could say something along those lines"
Producer "And the whole theater will think: stupid movie science!"
Writer "got a better idea"
Producer "The fridge could be lead lined.... everyone knows led is good in such a situation"
Writer: "True, that would be solid movie science, but the most unlikely product ever making it into a movie!"
Producer "How many of our viewers do you think know what a fridge is made of?"

Annnnnnd, we get that scene...

I like your son!

Thinks i am waiting to see:

1. the bad guy just shooting the good guy first chance he gets and actually kills him dead.
2. a Star Trek movie with the Enterprise being blown up with all hands lost.

best regards
Thomas

flyingturtle
Topic Author

Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 35):
Annnnnnd, we get that scene...

"Indiana Jones' Kingdom of Crystal Meth" was a film that induced physical pains. I'm sorry to add the   too late. I feel abused to have paid for this one at the movie theatre. After the computer-generated groundhog, there wasn't much $$$ left to do anything right. This explains the fridge. This explains the rest.

1. the bad guy just shooting the good guy first chance he gets and actually kills him dead.
2. a Star Trek movie with the Enterprise being blown up with all hands lost.

Having just watched the so-called "Dollar trilogy", there are numerous examples of bad guys killing the good ones at the first opportunity. They only let them alive if they have a clear motivation to do so. In "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly", Tuco fears getting killed because he has already divulged the the location of the treasure to Mortimer, while Blondie is safe because he's keeps his part of the secret to himself till the end.

David

tommy1808

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 36):
"Indiana Jones' Kingdom of Crystal Meth" was a film that induced physical pains.

I guess you haven´t seen Asylums "Almighty Thor" yet. The first movie so bad that you can´t even make it into a drinking game, but for sure makes you hope there is methanol in the bottle.

And i do like bad movies. I think Sharknado is excellent, Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus a gem and Hentai Karmen is flat out awesome, aside of the end......but still a better Version of "How i met your mother". I can stomack a lot of bad. But not "Almighty Thor" bad.

best regards
Thomas

fr8mech

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 am

Quoting StarAC17 (Reply 33):
Has he seen Austin Powers yet?

He has not, but I'll introduce him to it when he gets a touch older.

I like your son!

Thanks, I'm kinda partial to him also.

ACDC8

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:15 am

A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

moo

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:41 am

The Martian film got so many things wrong that the book got right, and even then both of them got so many things wrong together   And thats without going into the completely butchered ending that the film brings to the table...

The film has the Ares III mission Hab, lander and MAV in what is essentially a canyon - the book had the Ares III mission on a piece of land which was pretty much dead flat for hundreds of miles. NASA would never have risked landing the MAV or MDV where the film suggests it was.

The film completely ignores Mars low gravity, and treats it entirely as earth level gravity.

The hydrazine reaction Watney uses to create water from rocket fuel would have generated enough heat to burn everything in that room.

I really enjoyed the book, but its nowhere near as scientifically accurate as everyone suggests. The film is nowhere near as good as the book.

northstardc4m

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:23 pm

I will remind everyone of one scene from Episode IV...

"And these blast points, too difficult for sandpeople, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." - Obiwan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker examining the destroyed Jawa sand crawler.

If Obiwan called them precise, I don't care what you say they are as good as anyone as aiming. And they aren't a force to be underestimated... The predecessor clone troopers did a pretty dang good job of executing order 66 after all. They also wiped out the defenders on the Tantive IV pretty cleanly at the begining of IV... and did a pretty dang good job wiping out the rebel base on Hoth...

The only really embarrassing encounter for them was Endor... and well I still cling to the EU explanations of other forces at play there...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

rfields5421

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:18 am

Quoting northstardc4m (Reply 41):
I will remind everyone of one scene from Episode IV...

"And these blast points, too difficult for sandpeople, only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." - Obiwan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker examining the destroyed Jawa sand crawler.

When they have time, Stormtroopers are pretty accurate with their fire. But in group battles, they are like a lot of current world 'fighters' whose methodology is Spray and Pray. i.e. Hold down on the trigger on an automatic, and pray you hit something.

Carefully aimed fire is accurate. Quick shots from the hip, or on automatic, are not.

That said - a movie script is about 100 pages double spaced type. There simply isn't time in a movie to develop skills like precision firing, or good sword techniques. Rey have been sushi in about 10 seconds when up against a experienced light sabre swordsman like Kylo Ren - no matter how much help she had from the force. But that makes for a bad movie - not a $300 million blockbuster.
Not all who wander are lost.

cjg225

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 42):
When they have time, Stormtroopers are pretty accurate with their fire. But in group battles, they are like a lot of current world 'fighters' whose methodology is Spray and Pray. i.e. Hold down on the trigger on an automatic, and pray you hit something.

Which is more commonly seen with untrained, rag-tag fighters, not trained soldiers in a very large, extremely well-equipped, and highly-organized military.

neutrino

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:29 am

2. a Star Trek movie with the Enterprise being blown up with all hands lost

Even with all legs lost as well, their stumps could be outfitted with robotic ones. Just borrow the services of the SW medi-droids. Ask Vader about his "good-as-natural" prosthetic appendages.    
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Goldenshield

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.