Kiwirob

Rose To Front AC/DC

Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Talk about gutting for Brian Johnson, after 30 plus years singing his guts out, instead of disbanding they roped in one of the worst performers in years a well and truly has been over the hill Axel Rose. From what I have read on a few fan site Brian wasn't even asked if he wanted to quite, his tour luggage turned up at his house and that was that. If true that a disgusting way to treat the man who wrote there best album.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...nger-joining-band-on-tour-20160416

Quote:
The rumors have been confirmed: Just hours before Guns N' Roses are scheduled to take the stage for their triumphant reunion gig at Coachella, AC/DC formally announced that – before GN'R's Not in This Lifetime Tour kicks off – Axl Rose will first join them as vocalist for the remaining dates of their Rock or Bust trek.

"AC/DC will resume their Rock Or Bust World Tour with Axl Rose joining on vocals," the band announced in a statement Saturday. Rose will take the place of longtime AC/DC vocalist Brian Johnson, who was forced to abruptly quit touring with the group or risk "total hearing loss."

"AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years. We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures," the band said. "As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian's decision to stop touring and save his hearing. We are dedicated to fulfilling the remainder of our touring commitments to everyone that has supported us over the years, and are fortunate that Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill this commitment."

The band continued, "The European stadium tour dates begin on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal and run through June 12 in Aarhus, Denmark as previously announced. Following this European run of dates with AC/DC, Axl Rose will head out on his Guns N' Roses, 'Not In This Lifetime' Summer Stadium Tour."

AC/DC added that the 10 U.S. shows postponed by Johnson's sudden departure will also be rescheduled with Rose handling vocals.

Thunderboltdrgn

RE: Rose To Front AC/DC

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:05 pm

what the h*** are they thinking? Axl Rose? What a joke.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Y'know how "fusion" of different things is all the rage in food?

Well, I don't want it in my music. Period.

At this point I'm actually embarrassed for AC/DC, one of my favorite bands. I'd have preferred they simply call it a career and be done with it at this point.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jetwet1

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:37 pm

I am just glad I got to see them a few times with Brian out front, the thought of Axl singing Back in Black just makes me sad.

CPH-R

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 pm

I'm all the more glad I got to see them the last time they played in Denmark with most of the band still intact (2009 on the Black Ice tour). They played here again last summer when Malcom Young and Phil Rudd had already been replaced, and they're set to play again in june, this time with Brian Johnson replaced as well.

The cynic in me would suggest that someone's very low on funds, since I could imagine that cancelling the rest of the tour and stopping touring for good, would be a very expensive move indeed.

The not-so-cynic in me would suggest that Angus Young probably just wants to give the fans one last time to hear the band, before they shut up shop permanently.

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 4):
Angus Young probably just wants to give the fans one last time to hear the band, before they shut up shop permanently.

But is it really still AC/DC at this point, or just Angus Young with a good backup band and lousy lead singer?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

CPH-R

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:20 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 5):
But is it really still AC/DC at this point, or just Angus Young with a good backup band and lousy lead singer?

Well, you still have people who say that the 'real' AC/DC ceased to exist with Bon Scott 

TSS

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:07 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Thread starter):
Talk about gutting for Brian Johnson, after 30 plus years singing his guts out, instead of disbanding they roped in one of the worst performers in years a well and truly has been over the hill Axel Rose.

I'm guessing Axel Rose was the only person with a proven track record that they could get on short notice.

Quoting KiwiRob (Thread starter):
Brian Johnson, after 30 plus years singing his guts out,

After seeing the way Brian Johnson strains when he sings, that's what I thought would've ended his career- He'd have eventually expelled his colon onstage during a concert.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Dreadnought

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:21 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 7):
I'm guessing Axel Rose was the only person with a proven track record that they could get on short notice.

He has a proven track record of being moody, not finishing sets if everything is not going his way - a complete opposite of AC/DC which have made a reputation of being consummate professionals when it comes to their concerts.

Edit: and not to mention his voice is nothing like it was 25 years ago. He was a powerful singer, but his style was one pretty much impossible to continue physically after age 40 or so.

[Edited 2016-04-17 20:24:35]
Democrats haven't been this angry since we took away their slaves.

vikkyvik

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:17 am

I don't begrudge ACDC wanting to finish the tour. I'd expect nothing less from them.

That said, I desperately wish they'd release a real statement, with Brian Johnson, explaining exactly what happened behind the scenes. We know Johnson's hearing is about to go, but we don't know what sort of discussions were had.

And lastly, Axl Rose is a horrendous choice. In my opinion, if they want a big name, they should go with Sammy Hagar. He's got 10 times the singing ability of Axl Rose at this point, not to mention having a reasonably similar sort of singing tone to Johnson. And he can still belt it out.

I'm not even interested in seeing the semi-reunited Guns n Roses.

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 3):
I am just glad I got to see them a few times with Brian out front, the thought of Axl singing Back in Black just makes me sad.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 5):

Now now. Cliff Williams has been there forever, and Chris Slade and Stevie Young are well accepted by ACDC fans, as they've filled in previously.

Quoting Dreadnought (Reply 8):
He was a powerful singer, but his style was one pretty much impossible to continue physically after age 40 or so.

Though one would probably say the same about Brian Johnson.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 am

Quoting vikkyvik (Reply 9):
if they want a big name, they should go with Sammy Hagar.

Sammy wouldn't do it; he's been trying to shed the "plug n' play" singer label, and this only feeds it.

YVRLTN

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:42 am

So the rumor is true... even Ronnie Wood or Rod Stewart would be better than Axl.......

Actually, I have a really bad cold at the moment and sound like Brian talking on a good day, I should sign up.

Poor Brian, he hasnt been well though, he seemed to have recovered from Barrett's esophagus, but you cant perform like than forever. 68 is getting up there for what he does. I hope this is just some big misunderstanding and the band treated him OK.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Kiwirob

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:20 am

Now now. Cliff Williams has been there forever, and Chris Slade and Stevie Young are well accepted by ACDC fans, as they've filled in previously.

Chris Slade's only there because Rudd is in trouble in NZ, he's not Rudd and the band doesn't sound the same without him. Stevie looks just like his uncle, they could have been twins, he's played the part of Malcolm before, nobody noticed the switch.

Brian been shat on and it stinks.

BTW I think they need to dump this notion of calling them an Aussie band, now Rudds gone they're all British, none of them have lived in Australia for decades.

vikkyvik

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:23 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 10):
Sammy wouldn't do it; he's been trying to shed the "plug n' play" singer label, and this only feeds it.

That may be true; I haven't asked him.  
Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 11):
I hope this is just some big misunderstanding and the band treated him OK.

EDIT:

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 12):
Chris Slade's only there because Rudd is in trouble in NZ, he's not Rudd and the band doesn't sound the same without him.

I'm well aware, and I personally much prefer Rudd in ACDC. Rudd has a gigantic pocket; the band just grooves. Slade is more straight-ahead rock, more on top of the beat.

Nevertheless, if they had to pick someone to fill in on drums, Slade is the obvious choice.

[Edited 2016-04-17 23:34:38]
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jacobin777

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 3):

I was fortunate to see them twice back in 1983 and 1985.   
"Up the Irons!"

diverted

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:58 am

Edit: and not to mention his voice is nothing like it was 25 years ago. He was a powerful singer, but his style was one pretty much impossible to continue physically after age 40 or so.

I was pretty excited to hear about the Slash and Axl settling their differences and was actually genuinely excited to see GNR this summer just because I was still pretty young the last time they did...but Axl fronting AC/DC? Oh man I'm disappointed. Very disappointed.

And lastly, Axl Rose is a horrendous choice. In my opinion, if they want a big name, they should go with Sammy Hagar. He's got 10 times the singing ability of Axl Rose at this point, not to mention having a reasonably similar sort of singing tone to Johnson. And he can still belt it out.

Agree with this. Sammy is one of the best classic rock vocalists ever. I know he's trying to lay low and do his own thing with the Circle, but he's easily my #1 pick. Maybe trade Axl to the Van Halen brothers for Sammy, have Sammy front AC/DC and let Axl front the Van $hit$how. Especially as Axl has a tendency of treating bandmates like crap, and so do the Van Halens (read up on the crap they pulled to Michael Anthony)

melpax

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:08 am

Bloody glad I got to see them play here in MEL back in December. The crowd knew that this would most likely be the last time they played in their spiritual home town.

Brian & Angus must be 2 fit old buggers, suspect both would have gone straight into ice baths after they finished on stage.

Axl's a poor choice, they could have done much better & got someone from a covers band. At least you wouldn't have any diva crap being pulled!
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Quoting melpax (Reply 16):
Axl's a poor choice, they could have done much better & got someone
from a covers band. At least you wouldn't have any diva crap being pulled!

I read somewhere that they had auditioned the singer from one of the AC/DC tribute bands but
apparently they didn't like what they saw/heard.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

casinterest

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:50 pm

He has a proven track record of being moody, not finishing sets if everything is not going his way - a complete opposite of AC/DC which have made a reputation of being consummate professionals when it comes to their concerts.

Edit: and not to mention his voice is nothing like it was 25 years ago. He was a powerful singer, but his style was one pretty much impossible to continue physically after age 40 or so

Yep, we should put together on over/under for how many concerts Axel actually performs.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Kiwirob

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Here's a press release from Brian.

Quote:
As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer. I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness. While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage. I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised. In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow. Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC. I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond. That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness. Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine. The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before. Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice. The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years. Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC. My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring. My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that. For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing. I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic. Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,
Brian

Read More: AC/DC's Brian Johnson Issues Statement on Departure From Group | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc...mclip

melpax

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 19):

Not at all surprised with his hearing issues. After going to one of their shows in MEL a few months back, my ears were still ringing at lunchtime the next day. Doing that several times a week over the course of a few months a year would not be good.....
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

vikkyvik

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Quoting melpax (Reply 20):

His hearing loss is actually more from racing cars, though of course playing loud music would contribute.