Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

solarflyer22
Topic Author

US Undermining Boeing Sales To Iran

Fri May 06, 2016 2:51 am

I found it amusing that a number of groups and GOP lawmakers in the US are actively trying to scuttle any deal between Iran and Boeing Co. Despite the sanctions relief and Treasury licenses it seems some are still not content to do business with Iran.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...turn-airplanes-into-warplanes.html

3 Congressmen from Illinois, (where Boeing HQ is located nowadays), wrote to Boeing to stop sales on moral grounds and threats that they could be turned into "warplanes".

A political PAC is also encouraging state sanctions to block trade with Iran and has been on CNBC with former Senator Joe Lieberman advocating against any business.

http://www.unitedagainstnucleariran.com/node/8485

Seems strange to me that US undermines its own sales and I find it unlikely Boeing can be counted on to maintain planes in the future. Still too much polarization in the US 4 months after the deal closed and with Trump on the horizon. Thoughts?

TheCommodore

RE: US Undermining Boeing Sales To Iran

Fri May 06, 2016 4:02 am

Quoting solarflyer22 (Thread starter):
Thoughts?

A deal on Iran was completed several months ago now, and cleared by the relevant authorities.

Have these senators been living under a rock ?

They should keep their mouths shut and butt out.

flyingturtle

Fri May 06, 2016 10:37 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 1):

"Do you know that the Islamic Republic of Iran flies American-made fighter jets and helicopters? Do you know they have missiles made by us?"

Law(n)maker: "GASP!!!!!! Somebody liberate them and spread democracy there!"

David

einsteinboricua

Fri May 06, 2016 11:02 am

I found it amusing that a number of groups and GOP lawmakers in the US are actively trying to scuttle any deal between Iran and Boeing Co. Despite the sanctions relief and Treasury licenses it seems some are still not content to do business with Iran.

Forget the sanctions relief. Let's focus on folks who preach about free market policies and small government using government to rein in what could be a "free market" trade. Boeing will be sure to not place any material that Iran could exploit (even though it could do that with the 747s and other planes it gets). Other than that, it's a big bonanza for both Boeing and Iran.

[Edited 2016-05-06 04:45:08]

Aesma

Fri May 06, 2016 11:24 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 1):
A deal on Iran was completed several months ago now, and cleared by the relevant authorities.

They should keep their mouths shut and butt out.

Read the second link in the OP. These people's job is to maintain an US embargo on Iran, they don't care about the deal, they hope a GOP president will soon be elected and scuttle it.

zkojq

Fri May 06, 2016 11:39 am

Where's the outrage at Boeing selling planes to Saudi Arabia? Especially the 'warplanes'! That should be the real story here.

threats that they could be turned into "warplanes"

As versatile as it is, if Iran manages to reverse-engineer a 737 into a stealth bomber, I'm probably going to be more impressed than angry.

I found it amusing that a number of groups and GOP lawmakers in the US are actively trying to scuttle any deal between Iran and Boeing Co.

Its actually pretty hilarious how the US Congress has undermined potential Boeing sales to Iran and handed them straight to Airbus. But hey, the 747-8's orderbook is doing just fine without orders from Iran, right?  

cedarjet

Fri May 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Iran Air is literally the last hope for more 747-8i orders but with these morons muddying the waters, I think we can safely say Iran Air would be mad to book orders with a company then lose deposits if Trump wins in November, or get the planes but lose tech support in 2020 if Hillary is a one term president (which could also easily happen). If I was at Iran Air HQ I'd stay well clear of this chaos.

UA444

Fri May 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 6):

Trump isn't going to rip up the deal. He's the only one who said he wouldn't.

solarflyer22
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2016 9:00 pm

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 6):

Iran Air is literally the last hope for more 747-8i orders but with these morons muddying the waters, I t
Quoting zkojq (Reply 5):
But hey, the 747-8's orderbook is doing just fine without orders from Iran, right?

I see your 748 and I raise you a 787.

Recall the thread in Civil Aviation where it basically looked like the 787 can't reach it sales numbers. That's still a modern twin airplane that Boeing can recover R&D costs on by selling more frames. Its critical for that program to push more air frames so that it doesn't become a minimally profitable program. It might be too late to save the 748i anyway but the real key to their success will be pushing more 787s and potentially 779's. They need it badly.

State sanctions by Illinois, Washington state or South Carolina could be deadly to any deals though.

bhill

Fri May 06, 2016 9:09 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 5):
As versatile as it is, if Iran manages to reverse-engineer a 737 into a stealth bomber, I'm probably going to be more impressed than angry.

And the USAF should start buying buckets of them....compared to the cost of the US stealth aircraft...Whole squadrons of them for pennies...

TheCommodore

Sat May 07, 2016 4:27 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 2):
"Do you know that the Islamic Republic of Iran flies American-made fighter jets and helicopters? Do you know they have missiles made by us?"

And this is the hypocrisy about the whole thing of these guys trying to scuttle the deal.

BTW, Israel was buying oil from Iran through the back door, all the while the so called sections were in place. Where were these senators then while Iran is benefiting from oil sales and all the money that generates for them so one day the can bomb the crap out of the USA or do some other aggressive thing towards the west ???????

flyingturtle

Sat May 07, 2016 11:33 am

I'ts a good thing that Airbus doesn't suffer that amount of petty party influence... but though, I admire this GOP bullytishian for being willing to cut into the US economy for doing something "right".

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 10):

Shhhhh!!! It's Israel! It's not only God's own country, but even more importantly, our true and only ally! Everybody who criticizes them is complicit in the Holocaust or even worse!

Quoting bhill (Reply 9):
And the USAF should start buying buckets of them....compared to the cost of the US stealth aircraft...Whole squadrons of them for pennies...

Cue the MH370 jokes... 

David

tommy1808

Sat May 07, 2016 11:44 am

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 11):
Shhhhh!!! It's Israel! It's not only God's own country, but even more importantly, our true and only ally!

Good chance that they hate Jews as "Christ Killers", good Christians that they are, and just side with Israel for the temple, end of the world, Armageddon, Jesus killing almost everyone and collect their blood in a huge pool.......

Well, or they just hate Muslims.....

And a new line for civil aviation "Airbus is only saying more, because they have no morals ....." since the whole "giving away aircraft for free bit is getting old...

best regards
Thomas

pu

Sat May 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Thoughts?

...just another of the many subversive efforts to promote Israeli interests as equivalent to US interests.

UANI is a creature of arch-Israeli-lobbyist Dennis Ross, who was correctly tagged by John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt as perhaps equivalent to the likes of Bill Kristol in terms of manic-anti-Arab/pro-Israel mindset.

Personally, I'm fine with Israel promoting itself to the Americans but I think it shows their weak hand in that they are always doing it under the table.

Pu.

zkojq

Sun May 08, 2016 5:07 am

Quoting bhill (Reply 9):

Quoting pu (Reply 13):
UANI is a creature of arch-Israeli-lobbyist Dennis Ross, who was correctly tagged by John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt as perhaps equivalent to the likes of Bill Kristol in terms of manic-anti-Arab/pro-Israel mindset.

I'm sure that the Saudis will have donated to the cause also.

DocLightning

Sun May 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Quoting zkojq (Reply 5):

I hear the 777 is the stealthiest plane in the world...

mham001

Sun May 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Seems strange to me that US undermines its own sales and I find it unlikely Boeing can be counted on to maintain planes in the future.

it is unfortunate that some cannot fathom people and countries putting their convictions before their pocketbooks.

Aesma

Sun May 08, 2016 4:36 pm

These lobbyists are well paid to do this. On the other hand whether Boeing sells planes or not doesn't impact their income.

SB744

Wed May 11, 2016 6:21 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 11):

I'ts a good thing that Airbus doesn't suffer that amount of petty party influence...

You gave me quite the laugh with that one! Thanks!

WIederling

Sat May 14, 2016 12:31 pm

Quoting pu (Reply 13):

Personally, I'm fine with Israel promoting itself to the Americans but I think it shows their weak hand in that they are always doing it under the table.

Even more pronounced in US foreign activities.
Use NSA gained information to pressure political deciders from offstage to do the US bidding.
Lots of invisible wip and a some carrot crumbs usually cloaked in conjured "tail wags dog" reasoning
published to the benefit of the local voters.

Israel and the US present as a well matched coop.