Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation
Topic Author

Police Brutality Incident: Nashua NH USA

Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 am

http://www.yahoo.com/news/officials-...lice-pursuit-arrest-055218313.html

Quote:

NASHUA, N.H. (AP) — Troopers in two states were suspended Thursday amid an ongoing criminal investigation into police use of force against a suspect who was filmed being beaten by officers after apparently surrendering following a long high-speed chase.

One Massachusetts state trooper and one New Hampshire state trooper were suspended after a 50-mile police pursuit that started in Holden, Massachusetts, and ended in Nashua, New Hampshire. The driver, Richard Simone Jr., was arrested after he stepped slowly from his pickup truck, kneeled and put his hands on the ground. Footage from a news helicopter shows officers then setting upon him, pummeling him with punches.

I understand why the officers were angry after a 50 mile road chase going over 100 mph thorough mostly back roads, but they're totally out of control in this video. They're probably going to face assault charges, lose their jobs, and cost the taxpayers millions of dollars in the inevitable civil suit. Basically they've made this dirtbag a millionaire. I bet everyone involved soon will wish they just slapped the cuffs on him, if they don't already.

Elite

RE: Police Brutality Incident: Nashua NH USA

Fri May 13, 2016 1:35 am

Quoting Revelation (Thread starter):
They're probably going to face assault charges, lose their jobs,

Based on past incidents... probably not.

910A

Fri May 13, 2016 1:55 am

They're probably going to face assault charges, lose their jobs

Right on that. If they are charged with felonies they are toast. The pressure will be made by the Governors since they seen the video to set an example of these officers and based on my experience state troopers (at least in progressive states) are held to a higher standard than local police or deputy sheriffs. The least amount of a punishment will be a significant suspension.

Now having been involved in pursuits that crossed state lines, communications between the different state units become a nightmare, eventually my state and the neighboring state came up with a patch to allow the officers to talk to each other, of course you had to talk in plain language instead of code, since they vary.

MaverickM11

Fri May 13, 2016 2:03 am

They're probably going to face assault charges, lose their jobs, and cost the taxpayers millions of dollars in the inevitable civil suit.

Doubtful...they'll probably get off scott free. The victim was asking for it and police brutality does not exist in the US-of-A.

Kiwirob

Fri May 13, 2016 4:56 am

They're probably going to face assault charges, lose their jobs

The other cops who didn't stop it should also lose there jobs, you're either a good cop or you're not, there shouldn't be any shades of grey for uniformed police officers.

TheCommodore

Fri May 13, 2016 5:06 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 3):
The victim was asking for it and police brutality does not exist in the US-of-A.

I have seen this time and time again by US cops. Just check out youtube and live leak for example after example where the attending cops go in gung-ho, and bash the crap out of people who have already surrended and are already on the ground going nowhere.

Must be something with the way police are being trained in the US  Wow!
Quoting kiwirob (Reply 4):
The other cops who didn't stop it should also lose there jobs, you're either a good cop or you're not, there shouldn't be any shades of grey for uniformed police officers.

Agree, at the very least they should lose there jobs. But id charge them along with the criminal cops.

[Edited 2016-05-12 22:07:37]

StarAC17

Fri May 13, 2016 5:30 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 3):
Doubtful...they'll probably get off scott free. The victim was asking for it and police brutality does not exist in the US-of-A.

plus being able to sue the victim's family for psychological damages for the shooting ranging in the millions.    (maybe)

DLFREEBIRD

Fri May 13, 2016 5:42 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 2):
Right on that. If they are charged with felonies they are toast.

If they are charged and convicted of felonies then they are toast, but they first have to be convicted.

THE QUESTION IS WERE THEY SUSPECTED WITHOUT PAY OR IS THIS A PAID SUSPENSION?

910A

Fri May 13, 2016 2:13 pm

Quoting DLFREEBIRD (Reply 7):
THE QUESTION IS WERE THEY SUSPECTED WITHOUT PAY OR IS THIS A PAID SUSPENSION?

According to the Boston Globe and the Unionleader the New Hampshire Trooper was suspended without pay.

"State police director Col. Robert Quinn declined to name the New Hampshire trooper during a brief news conference Thursday, saying only he had been relieved from duty without pay.

"The unnecessary, unjustified use of force will not be tolerated by this agency," Quinn said. - See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/crime/upd...hase-20160511#sthash.zv0Ffb2C.dpuf

johns624

Fri May 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 5):
I have seen this time and time again by US cops. Just check out youtube and live leak for example after example where the attending cops go in gung-ho, and bash the crap out of people who have already surrended and are already on the ground going nowhere.

I call this the"COPS" effect. I don't know if you've seen it, but it's a police "reality" show. Cops are always piling on suspects on the ground and keep yelling "don't resist, stop resisting!" even though the perp is just laying there. They must do it because the producers want the show to be more exciting. The problem is that these cops have grown up watching this stupid show and think that it's how they should really act.

MaverickM11

Fri May 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Quoting 910A (Reply 8):
"The unnecessary, unjustified use of force will not be tolerated by this agency," Quinn said

...when it's caught on camera 

910A

Fri May 13, 2016 4:59 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 10):
...when it's caught on camera 

And EVERY officer should go around with the attitude they are on camera 100% of the time.

Flighty

Fri May 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 5):

There are videos of all sorts of people doing this.

Tell you what, when there is a crime wave, or a wave of shootings, I hope the cops are "muscular" in their battle versus criminals. I want the cops to win. They are working for me. I don't want them to be nice to everyone. That is not their job. Their job is not to treat criminals equally with non-criminals. That is a false equality. Not to treat property holders the same as non-property holders.

Actually their job is to protect the innocent from the guilty, and protect the haves from the have-not thieves and robbers.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty. Yes, reasonable use of force. But let's not pretend cops are not allowed to use force, or that force=brutality. Ridiculous argument in a country like this.

johns624

Fri May 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 12):
Yes, innocent until proven guilty.

...but thump them in the meantime, even if they aren't resisting...

airtran737

Fri May 13, 2016 6:22 pm

I am pro-cop, but these guys deserve to lose their jobs and to be prosecuted. When someone surrenders, complies, then gets down on the ground, the game is over. Cuff him, put him in the car, and get him to jail. Brake check him if you need to, but beating the hell out of someone like this is just plain idiotic.

TheCommodore

Fri May 13, 2016 10:40 pm

Yes, reasonable use of force.

What we ALL witnessed in the video, was NOT "reasonable use of force" in ANY way

But let's not pretend cops are not allowed to use force, or that force=brutality. Ridiculous argument in a country like this.

Of course they are. But when the guy is on the ground laying down, why on earth do they have to do what they did ?

Completely uncalled for. They should all be charged and sacked from the police. After all, the police already has enough problems without these twits adding to it all.

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 14):
I am pro-cop, but these guys deserve to lose their jobs and to be prosecuted. When someone surrenders, complies, then gets down on the ground, the game is over. Cuff him, put him in the car, and get him to jail. Brake check him if you need to, but beating the hell out of someone like this is just plain idiotic.

Revelation
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2016 11:30 pm

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 15):
After all, the police already has enough problems without these twits adding to it all.

And us taxpayers too, we're the ones who will be covering the costs.

One reason we have the quotes in #8 above from State police director Col. Robert Quinn:

Quoting 910A (Reply 8):
"The unnecessary, unjustified use of force will not be tolerated by this agency," Quinn said.

is because this incident will end up costing the state in legal fees and liabilities and Col. Quinn knows he's going to be asked why his officers act so unprofessionally if not illegally. He's gonna be put on the hot seat so he wants the first words out of his mouth to be that it's something his agency does not tolerate.

Flighty

Sat May 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 13):

...but thump them in the meantime, even if they aren't resisting...

They should not thump innocent people but when a person is guilty of a crime in front of their eyes, that no longer applies.

A high speed chase means the cop witnessed assault with a deadly weapon, endangering not only the public, but also them, threatening their families. Their emotions probably run incredibly high during this. The discretion not to kill the subject is quite impressive. In many cases of road rage, it only ends when someone dies.

Agreed

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 15):
Of course they are. But when the guy is on the ground laying down, why on earth do they have to do what they did ?

Completely uncalled for. They should all be charged and sacked from the police. After all, the police already has enough problems without these twits adding to it all.

Agreed

SB744

Sun May 15, 2016 12:37 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 17):
Their emotions probably run incredibly high during this. The discretion not to kill the subject is quite impressive. In many cases of road rage, it only ends when someone dies.

This is one factor that we probably cannot appreciate: being in an hour-long high speed chase where the aggressor has endangered many innocent people. If my job were to capture such people, I'm not sure I could be so level-headed. Police officers have extremely dangerous jobs, and there is no doubt that those who participated in this pursuit may have feared for their lives as this man barrelled through active streets. I imagine adrenaline takes a while to settle.

That said, these men were chosen and trained as police officers, and have been given a position of trust in the community where they are expected to control their emotions under intense circumstances. Maybe that is an extraordinary expectation, but they have extraordinary authority. Once this man was neutral and on the ground, there was no excuse for that kind of beating. Perhaps more psychological screening is necessary in these sorts of roles.

johns624

Sun May 15, 2016 12:46 am

They should not thump innocent people but when a person is guilty of a crime in front of their eyes, that no longer applies.

A high speed chase means the cop witnessed assault with a deadly weapon, endangering not only the public, but also them, threatening their families. Their emotions probably run incredibly high during this. The discretion not to kill the subject is quite impressive. In many cases of road rage, it only ends when someone dies
Agreed
Agreed

First you say that it's okay to thump someone, then you agree with two others who state that the cops should lose their jobs because they shouldn't have thumped him. Make up your mind because you're sounding "flighty" (couldn't resist)

TheCommodore

Sun May 15, 2016 2:14 am

Quoting SB744 (Reply 18):
If my job were to capture such people, I'm not sure I could be so level-headed.

Then you should not be allowed to become a police officer.

Police should be trained to the highest level possible, including dealing with situations like this.

They hold a level within society where their actions and responsibility should be beyond reproach.

Police officers have extremely dangerous jobs, and there is no doubt that those who participated in this pursuit may have feared for their lives as this man barrelled through active streets. I imagine adrenaline takes a while to settle.

But the guy was on the ground. He had already given up

That said, these men were chosen and trained as police officers, and have been given a position of trust in the community where they are expected to control their emotions under intense circumstances. Maybe that is an extraordinary expectation, but they have extraordinary authority. Once this man was neutral and on the ground, there was no excuse for that kind of beating. Perhaps more psychological screening is necessary in these sorts of roles.

Agreed.

Mir

Sun May 15, 2016 3:14 am

A high speed chase means the cop witnessed assault with a deadly weapon, endangering not only the public, but also them, threatening their families. Their emotions probably run incredibly high during this. The discretion not to kill the subject is quite impressive.

The discretion not to kill the suspect is the bare minimum expectation of law enforcement. If they can't handle that, they need to find other work where their emotions will not lead to abuse of their authority.

-Mir

DarkSnowyNight

Sun May 15, 2016 6:58 am

Tell you what, when there is a crime wave, or a wave of shootings, I hope the cops are "muscular" in their battle versus criminals. I want the cops to win. They are working for me. I don't want them to be nice to everyone. That is not their job. Their job is not to treat criminals equally with non-criminals. That is a false equality. Not to treat property holders the same as non-property holders.

Cops don't work with criminals. Ever. Their only job is to protect and defend citizens and investigate/detain suspects as necessary. They are never, at any time, permitted to determine guilt or innocence, and even less authorized to treat suspects as other than full citizens.

Yes, innocent until proven guilty. Yes, reasonable use of force. But let's not pretend cops are not allowed to use force, or that force=brutality. Ridiculous argument in a country like this.

I think you need to watch the video involved. There is nothing like justifiable use in any of the force presented.

Their emotions probably run incredibly high during this. The discretion not to kill the subject is quite impressive.

So? This is the exact same defense wife-beaters use. And they're right. That is the situation indeed. But in both cases it's not even close to being an excuse.

MaverickM11

Sun May 15, 2016 8:06 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 21):
The discretion not to kill the suspect is the bare minimum expectation of law enforcement. If they can't handle that, they need to find other work where their emotions will not lead to abuse of their authority.

It's weird that this has to even be considered, let alone mentioned. Somebody get these guys a medal for not killing someone! 

flipdewaf

Sun May 15, 2016 8:45 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 11):
And EVERY officer should go around with the attitude they are on camera 100% of the time.

they shouldn't have the attitude they are on camera, they should actually be on camera.

I am pro-cop,

Just for the record is there anyone here who is anti cop?

if the punishment fits the crime and he is found guilty then I guess you'll advocate time being taken from a prison sentence to make up for the beating?

Their emotions probably run incredibly high during this

And.....

The discretion not to kill the subject is quite impressive.

what the actual fuck?!?!?

Quoting johns624 (Reply 19):
Make up your mind because you're sounding "flighty" (couldn't resist)

LOL!

Fred

scbriml

Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 am

The discretion not to kill the subject is quite impressive.

Good job the suspect wasn't black!   

Kiwirob

Sun May 15, 2016 10:57 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 25):

Good job the suspect wasn't black!   

I was thinking that to, I just didn't think it was wise to say it.