Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qatara340
Topic Author

Qatar Airways Supports Children Education In ATL

Thu May 19, 2016 5:48 pm

In a nice gesture, Qatar Airways has offered to help 500 children in the ATL area by offering them books, and providing extra teachers over the summer. So nice of an airline to partner up with educating children in their respective new destination.

Qatar Airways is also the official communications ambassador for the Education Above All Foundation’s ‘Educate a Child (EAC)’ global program

This program actually is helping thousands of underprivileged children get an education.

QUOTE:

The “School’s Out, Reading Is In!” programme inspires students to maintain their academic progress through the summer holiday by providing each student from K-5 grades with grade-appropriate books.
Qatar Airways is partnering with Atlanta Public Schools to support this endeavour and further inspire students to explore the world through reading.

Source: http://www.gulf-times.com/story/4938...eading-initiative-takes-off-with-Q
and @QatarAirways twitter handle

tortugamon

RE: Qatar Airways Supports Children Education In ATL

Thu May 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Nice work. Way to drive good local press in ATL while DL is driving bad press. Great timing for this small gesture.

tortugamon

enilria

Thu May 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Thread starter):
Qatar Airways is partnering with Atlanta Public Schools

I wonder what the punishment of the Atlanta Public Schools will be for dealing with QR?

Qatara340
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2016 6:37 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 2):
I wonder what the punishment of the Atlanta Public Schools will be for dealing with QR?

I could imagine the horrors of educating children will be dealt with the biggest of punishments. DELTA will stop accepting children in its planes probably.

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 1):
Nice work. Way to drive good local press in ATL while DL is driving bad press. Great timing for this small gesture.

+1

[Edited 2016-05-19 11:42:47]

gatibosgru

Thu May 19, 2016 7:11 pm

This is gonna get messy and I'm excited to see it all unfold.

SCQ83

Thu May 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Maybe they should support the Gay Pride in Atlanta to catch Delta off-guard and ban any DL publicity in the march.

lesfalls

Thu May 19, 2016 7:31 pm

This is starting to get ridiculous.

a380787

Thu May 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Qatar is definitely extremely un-gay-friendly as a nation :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar

For those disbelievers, please see Article 296 of the current Qatar Penal Code

And of course, there's basic human rights concerns, which the QR spokesman will accuse of being written by western authors :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

[Edited 2016-05-19 12:39:23]

SCQ83

Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 7):

I was trying to be ironic  

tonystan

Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Just petty politics which QR is cynically allowing itself get involved in.

FYI, as a former QR employee and a gay man, I never had a problem down there. Once you keep yourself to yourself and don't make a show of it (not that it's right that one should have to do that in this day and age) there really is no problem.

But st the same time the treatment of people in general in Qatar that even I witnessed first hand was disgusting and I'm inclined to fall on the side of the Anti-Qatar lobby!

Qatara340
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Qatar
Quoting tonystan (Reply 9):

This thread has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It has to do with promoting children education! Stop hijacking every single Qatar related thread.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 5):

tonystan

Thu May 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 10):

It has everything to do with Qatars human rights as he only reason Qatar Airways are doing the promotion is to take away from bad press its gaining from the billboards. You seem like an intelligent chap, Surely even you can see that?

cougar15

Thu May 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Oh did I get flamebaited by the US fanboys when I suggested that the ME3 will build their own markets thru charity support, sports sponsorship deals etc etc in the US.
And a year down the track, look at where we are. the ME3 will build their markets in the US, as they have done everywhere else in the world & no amount of patrionism will stop them.
The consumer will vote with their wallets and enjoy the service levels offered. good news for the US consumer!
But I will get out the popcorn, now that it is happening at the holy grail ATL.......! Let the A.net Entertainment begin!

SFOA380

Thu May 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Something new for Delta to boycott or ban...

AABB777

Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 pm

This is like putting lipstick on a pig.

This is a spinoff of Sheikha Moza's Educate a Child. I highly doubt QR itself is funding the program, it's most likely coming from the government. Not to go there, but, another example of a subsidy for QR.

a380787

Thu May 19, 2016 9:34 pm

If airline YYY or nation ZZZ is truly concerned about educational standards in the US, there are far more pressing problems than in Atlanta. Try Compton or Camden.

LSZH34

Thu May 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Quoting cougar15 (Reply 12):
The consumer will vote with their wallets and enjoy the service levels offered

Which is pretty hyprocritical. Everytime I hear someone cry about Qatar whether it is human rights, World Cup, oil or terrorism funding, the next thing I hear is "The airline is great though". Just shows how narrow-minded, false and blinded the west is. I cringe everytime I see a QR aircraft making a detour around the south border of Israel. Meanwhile the people from the western societys on board must be like "Hmm, too busy sipping champagne!" They simply refuse to look what lies beneath an airline. A solid on board product is not everything. And if you choose to fly QR or any ME3, I don't want to hear any crying about these countries whatsoever.

andrefranca

Thu May 19, 2016 10:03 pm

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 16):

Mate, you nailed it! cheers to that! I can't even comment what I've seen/felt while visiting DOH as tourist, I do hope they'll find "light" and leave the dark ages behind.

jacobin777

Thu May 19, 2016 10:14 pm

The consumer will vote with their wallets and enjoy the service levels offered

Which is pretty hyprocritical. Everytime I hear someone cry about Qatar whether it is human rights, World Cup, oil or terrorism funding, the next thing I hear is "The airline is great though". Just shows how narrow-minded, false and blinded the west is. I cringe everytime I see a QR aircraft making a detour around the south border of Israel. Meanwhile the people from the western societys on board must be like "Hmm, too busy sipping champagne!" They simply refuse to look what lies beneath an airline. A solid on board product is not everything. And if you choose to fly QR or any ME3, I don't want to hear any crying about these countries whatsoever.

How about your computer or cell phone or a number of your other items which are manufactured in "slave labor" conditions/situations. Are you banning/boycotting them as well?   

Qatara340
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 11):
It has everything to do with Qatars human rights as he only reason Qatar Airways are doing the promotion is to take away from bad press its gaining from the billboards. You seem like an intelligent chap, Surely even you can see that?

Not really. You are trolling around, trying to put your prejudice on topics that have nothing to do with the relevant thread in airliners.net.

Oh did I get flamebaited by the US fanboys when I suggested that the ME3 will build their own markets thru charity support, sports sponsorship deals etc etc in the US.

They build their market through passengers. Most major airlines have some sort of charity, and sports sponsorship is called marketing. Marketing is a multi billion dollar industry.

The narrow-minded people are those who believe everything they read about. Again you are being prejudice. Your country, which I assume is Switzerland has billions of dollars worth of investment and trade with Qatar and growth each year at phenomenal rates. Thanks to Qataris, the Swiss have benefited greatly from Qatari investments, and trade. Terrorism funding??? We are operating planes to go fight ISIS, we are part of the coalition to stop Isis! So naive and close minded really some people are.

tonystan

Thu May 19, 2016 11:28 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 19):

Don't you dare accuse me of "trolling"! You should be capable of a far more intelligent debate than to resort to accusing people of "trolling" just because you can't hold a debate.

I have a very astute interest in Qatar and the general workings of the Middle East but sadly I often come across people like yourself who live in either utter denial of the realities of life itself in that neck of the woods or people who agree and are happy with having life that way but will still do what they can to mask the realities to the outside world.

I could probably educate you on some of the horrific incidents I witnessed while down there but you would just deny them.

[Edited 2016-05-19 16:33:12]

smokeybandit

Thu May 19, 2016 11:31 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 5):
Maybe they should support the Gay Pride in Atlanta to catch Delta off-guard and ban any DL publicity in the march.

Now that would be something.

LSZH34

Thu May 19, 2016 11:42 pm

Terrorism funding???

It's one of those common accusations, that's why I brought it up. That doesn't mean I believe in them.

Thanks to Qataris, the Swiss have benefited greatly from Qatari investments, and trade

Yes, unfortunately my country loves to sell weapons to the Middle East.

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 18):
How about your computer or cell phone or a number of your other items which are manufactured in "slave labor" conditions/situations. Are you banning/boycotting them as well?   

You didn't get my message then. I do know my iPhone and all those tech stuff was manufactured by slave labour in one way or another. Do I find it bad? Yes. Do I change my iPhone every year when the new S version comes out? No. It also comes down to what you really need and what not. I need atleast one computer for my education and one phone to stay in contact. These things are a necessity today in modern society. As long as you know how these things are made and you consume these things in a useful and reasonable manner, I can live with myself. You have to find a middle ground for yourself. Atleast I'm keeping the amount of products with "shady" backgrounds to a minimum.
However, if you complain about Qatar for xx reason but fly QR, that's not such a credible act of yours if you could've chosen ten different options. Bottom line is: Fly and buy what you want, just be aware that not everything that glitters is gold.

N867DA

Fri May 20, 2016 1:01 am

Pure publicity. Great airline from a dicey country does something nice to brown nose a new market. But hey, if even Saudia can fly into America there's nothing inherently wrong with QR.

fallap

Fri May 20, 2016 1:06 am

Winning hearts and minds  

IslandRob

Fri May 20, 2016 1:10 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 8):

I was trying to be ironic

Obviously you were, and I thought your quip was hilarious. -ir

Ammad

Fri May 20, 2016 3:55 am

I don't see any point for QR doing this. In fact under no obligation they have to do this, all they have to worry about Arriving and departing LF and that's pretty much it.

enzedder

Fri May 20, 2016 4:06 am

Quoting LSZH34 (Reply 22):
You didn't get my message then. I do know my iPhone and all those tech stuff was manufactured by slave labour in one way or another. Do I find it bad? Yes. Do I change my iPhone every year when the new S version comes out? No. It also comes down to what you really need and what not. I need atleast one computer for my education and one phone to stay in contact. These things are a necessity today in modern society. As long as you know how these things are made and you consume these things in a useful and reasonable manner, I can live with myself. You have to find a middle ground for yourself. Atleast I'm keeping the amount of products with "shady" backgrounds to a minimum.

now this is a very hypocritical and sactimonious statement. just becoz u dont get urself a new fone every year doesnt make it better. geez.
but iz good enough for u to justify it by saying one needs an iphone these days. u too simply refuse to look what lies beneath an iphone and justify having one with that lame argument.

i tell you there are enough people out there that would disagree with you and live happily without one.

so dont be so judgemental with people who can justify for themselves to fly with qatar airways.

everyone picks these days something to ban or boycott just to feel better.

boycotting flying qatar is an easy way for coach pototoes human rights fighters.

cheers enzedder

727LOVER

Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Has QR done charitable things like this in other USA cities that they serve?

Quoting gatibosgru (Reply 4):
This is gonna get messy and I'm excited to see it all unfold.

Real House Airlines of Atlanta?

ZeeZoo

Fri May 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Fantastic, let's hope they something about the conditions their south Asian labourers are having to deal with and let's hope they do something about their archaic beliefs.

Oh wait, there'll be no press about that or Blue Peter badges handed out for that.

Absolute hypocritical filth these Qataris.

gkirk

Fri May 20, 2016 1:37 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 2):

Donald Trump...    

PanHAM

Fri May 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Nice, bit if I were a member of the Atlanta School board I would thoroughly read the text before i'd allow that the books are handed out. There should not be any religious and political bias and indoctrination in there books.
Also, an Airline should not be used for such matters either. There are other ways to celebrate an inaugural flight.

[Edited 2016-05-20 07:24:33]

Qatara340
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Quoting ZeeZoo (Reply 29):
Fantastic, let's hope they something about the conditions their south Asian labourers are having to deal with and let's hope they do something about their archaic beliefs.

Oh wait, there'll be no press about that or Blue Peter badges handed out for that.

Absolute hypocritical filth these Qataris.

Oh great, talk about your own country that has raped these South Asian countries for decades and enslaved millions of them under the so called British Empire.

Absolute filth and hypocritical.

SCQ83

Fri May 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 31):
Nice, bit if I were a member of the Atlanta School board I would thoroughly read the text before i'd allow that the books are handed out. There should not be any religious and political bias and indoctrination in there books.

I wonder if they will hand out Qurans to those little kids?

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 10):
This thread has nothing to do with sexual orientation. It has to do with promoting children education! Stop hijacking every single Qatar related thread.

In Western civilization kids have now sexual education in schools; and that includes from potential STDs to learning different sexual orientations. That would be more useful (from a mental and physical health PoV) for a kid living in Atlanta than learning the difference between a hijab and a niqab.

Qatara340
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 33):
In Western civilization kids have now sexual education in schools; and that includes from potential STDs to learning different sexual orientations. That would be more useful (from a mental and physical health PoV) for a kid living in Atlanta than learning the difference between a hijab and a niqab.

Gender identity is not taught in most schools in the US. When one school board decided to teach it, it angered many parents. Gender identity is mostly acquired at home or in the community.

The difference between a hijab and a niqab is not taught in schools.

We usually concentrate in Math, Science, biology, geography, reading, writing, chemistry, you know. Im sure that you are surprised to learn we don't live in tents, and don't have an oil well in our backyards. I guess The Donald has taught you otherwise.

Anyways, good luck with electing a homophobic, anti-latino, anti-Mexican, anti-Women, anti-Jewish, anti-Muslim pro-KKK leader of the free world.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...o-such-thing-as-boys-or-girls.html

I wonder if they will hand out Qurans to those little kids?

Oh, racism at its best. Didn't your parents teach you racism is bad?

Actually, the Quran would be great for people especially kids to read. It will show them what Islam really stands for and how things you hear and see in the news is not related to it.

ojas

Fri May 20, 2016 3:18 pm

So with so much of public support against Qatar and QR, will the USA cut all diplomatic relations with Qatar? Or at least scale them down? Or are the public just boycotting the ME in the aviation sphere?

I think the time has come to cut all diplomatic relations with the Middle east in protest against the abhorrent human rights conditions and the world will follow. But then if you still want to do business with the ME for "strategic reasons", you cannot cherry pick your protests based on commercial interests of a particular airline.

mayor

Fri May 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 34):

Anyways, good luck with electing a homophobic, anti-latino, anti-Mexican, anti-Women, anti-Jewish, anti-Muslim pro-KKK leader of the free world.

Now who's deflecting the topic away from the subject at hand?  

Looks more like a PR piece.

Would you like a list of ALL the charities that DL (and their employees) donate to, just in the ATL area?

BestWestern

Fri May 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Why does every topic on QR get bogged down in the rights and wrongs of the government.

We don't do the same with Any other nation.

alfa164

Fri May 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Quoting fallap (Reply 24):
Winning hearts and minds

Buying hearts and minds.   

andrefranca

Fri May 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Actually, the Quran would be great for people especially kids to read. It will show them what Islam really stands for and how things you hear and see in the news is not related to it.

I did read it myself for my own education, and as I'm not a religious person, it was good for me to see beyond what ordinary people tell, I think all religions should be taught at school, when I was a kid they did it, but of course as a christian nation they pretty much ignored the basic aspect of others.

Quoting ojas (Reply 35):
I think the time has come to cut all diplomatic relations with the Middle east in protest against the abhorrent human rights conditions and the world will follow. But then if you still want to do business with the ME for "strategic reasons", you cannot cherry pick your protests based on commercial interests of a particular airline.

Stop right there, I love arab people and I do like the fact there are 6 million + arabs in Brazil and we live in PEACE!

I do hope however the culture will envolve and accept all other differences, being, sexual, religion, race etc... I miss my kuwaity  

jacobin777

Fri May 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Do I find it bad? Yes. Do I change my iPhone every year when the new S version comes out? No.

So? You still have one don't you?

I need atleast one computer for my education and one phone to stay in contact.

Many people live without their own computers and cell phone and do just fine.

These things are a necessity today in modern society.

1)Not necessarily.
2)Computers can be used in school, at the library, other places, etc.

As long as you know how these things are made and you consume these things in a useful and reasonable manner, I can live with myself. You have to find a middle ground for yourself. Atleast I'm keeping the amount of products with "shady" backgrounds to a minimum.
Quoting enzedder (Reply 27):
now this is a very hypocritical and sactimonious statement. just becoz u dont get urself a new fone every year doesnt make it better. geez.
but iz good enough for u to justify it by saying one needs an iphone these days. u too simply refuse to look what lies beneath an iphone and justify having one with that lame argument.

tistpaa727

Fri May 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Qatar's presence in Atlanta is going to get interesting. Combine this with the Fox Theatre debacle Source: AJC article and this should be fun to watch.

Quoting mayor (Reply 36):
Looks more like a PR piece.

Exactly!   

As QR ramps up its marketing / PR efforts in Atlanta we can fully expect DL to come out and smear them. It will be like watching another political campaign. Oh joy   

tonystan

Fri May 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Qatara340

Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior or inferior to another, that a person's social and moral traits are predetermined by his or her inborn biological characteristics.

Islam is not a race, being Qatari is not a race. No one here is being racist. Perhaps ignorant and bigoted and certainly to some extent discriminating ( however some are simply stating facts based on experience too) but not racist!

[Edited 2016-05-20 13:43:19]

burnsie28

Fri May 20, 2016 8:34 pm

Meanwhile DL has been working with Junior Achievement centers for quite a while and is one of the main sponsors of the Atlanta location all while doing this in a ton of other cities.

http://www.georgia.ja.org/partners/

ojas

Sat May 21, 2016 8:34 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 39):
Stop right there, I love arab people and I do like the fact there are 6 million + arabs in Brazil and we live in PEACE!

I do hope however the culture will envolve and accept all other differences, being, sexual, religion, race etc... I miss my kuwaity  

But the way it is portrayed here, that they need to be put in the same bracket of North Korea et al. So with emotions pouring across the board, and supposedly a good representation of the overall population, why doesn't this translate into action?

Why can't USA just stop doing business with such evil countries?

PanHAM

Sat May 21, 2016 10:59 am

quote=SCQ83,reply=33]
I wonder if they will hand out Qurans to those little kids? [/quote]

Handing out Qurans or bibles should not be allowed. That would be political / religious indoctrination.

Oh, racism at its best. Didn't your parents teach you racism is bad

Since when is Islam a race? Religion is a private matter which should not be forced on others. Every Person, and that includes of course muslims, can decide whch freligion he/she worshippes or not. That is part of the Basic human rights.

bhill

Thu May 26, 2016 6:06 pm

Perhaps the $$$ would be better spent on driving lessons.....

...for women in SA.....

cjg225

Thu May 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Quoting tistpaa727 (Reply 41):
As QR ramps up its marketing / PR efforts in Atlanta we can fully expect DL to come out and smear them. It will be like watching another political campaign. Oh joy

I traveled to Atlanta this week for business. I was stuck on I-85 in traffic (surprise!) Monday morning, so I got plenty of time to stare at this billboard on 85 heading northbound just south of the city: http://content.11alive.com/photo/201...7_1463523115246_2338287_ver1.0.PNG

I don't know if Delta has anything to do with the group listed at the bottom, but I couldn't help but crack a smile at it given the spat between DL and QR right now.

offloaded

Tue May 31, 2016 12:25 pm

People are very passionate about workers and women´s rights. Almost as passionate as saving $300 on a round trip ticket to Asia anyway.

yowza

Tue May 31, 2016 3:20 pm

In a nice gesture, Qatar Airways has offered to help 500 children in the ATL area by offering them books, and providing extra teachers over the summer. So nice of an airline to partner up with educating children in their respective new destination.

Am I to assume that double daily galley destinations like KTM will be shown the same charity?

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 6):
This is starting to get ridiculous.

Starting? Haha that ship sailed months ago!

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 14):
This is a spinoff of Sheikha Moza's Educate a Child. I highly doubt QR itself is funding the program, it's most likely coming from the government. Not to go there, but, another example of a subsidy for QR.

All part of Qatar Inc. Just look at how shrewdly Qatar Airways became the shirt sponsor of FC Barcelona. They backdoored it. Initially the Qatar Foundation paid for that privilege and then re-assigned the jersey rights. Keep in mind Barcelona had NEVER had a commerical jersey sponsor before.

I wish QR and DL would just get on with it and stop these silly antics...

YOWza

[Edited 2016-05-31 08:21:59]