Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MaverickM11
Topic Author

NY Catholic Church Spends $2M To Block Abuse Law

Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 pm

"Catholic Church spends $2.1 million lobbying New York politicians to block law changes for historical clerical sex abuse cases to dodge compensation claims "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ses-dodge-compensation-claims.html

jetwet1

RE: NY Catholic Church Spends $2M To Block Abuse Law

Tue May 31, 2016 8:02 pm

Well from a business point of view it probably makes sense.......

From a moral and social point of view it is despicable.

On this subject, for those that have not seen Spotlight, it's an amazing movie that does a fantastic job of showing the facts behind the Catholic Church cover ups.

mbmbos

Tue May 31, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 1):
On this subject, for those that have not seen Spotlight, it's an amazing movie that does a fantastic job of showing the facts behind the Catholic Church cover ups.

Great film. Totally absorbing.

As far as the Catholic Church goes, it's time to start taxing them. Actually, that goes for all religious organizations in the U.S.

Tugger

Tue May 31, 2016 8:28 pm

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 2):
, it's time to start taxing them. Actually, that goes for all religious organizations in the U.S.

What other nations exempt churches as well?

Tugg

OA412

Tue May 31, 2016 8:45 pm

Because, ya know, Jesus would've totally sided with the child molesters too...

Well from a business point of view it probably makes sense.......

Except the Catholic Church is not a business. As others have noted, it's time to strip churches of their tax-exempt status.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out.

From a moral and social point of view it is despicable.

Quoting Tugger (Reply 3):

Interesting question. Hopefully some members can weigh in on that.

SoJo

Tue May 31, 2016 8:47 pm

As far as the Catholic Church goes, it's time to start taxing them.

Just remove the T from taxing. There's the answer. Religion is an excuse to do what they want. I believe.

Okie

Tue May 31, 2016 8:49 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 4):

Austria, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland all have a church tax on your income.
Different rates and some countries let you opt out.
Otherwise a mandatory income tax to the church.

Okie

flyingturtle

Tue May 31, 2016 9:02 pm

In some European countries, the government levies the church taxes, and then gives the revenue to the church - but the government doesn't get any (tax) money from the church. And then, because of ages-old compensation agreements (the government took over territories and buildings from the churches, most often Catholic ones), they still get millions in annual payments. I once learned that the Roman Catholic church is still one of the biggest real estate companies, owning a few thousand buildings in Rome alone.

The smaller "churches", like the Methodist, Muslim, Jewish, Evangelical or Buddhist ones technically operate as clubs, but they get tax exemptions if they serve the public good.

And then, there are Protestant and Catholic schools, hospitals, kindergartens and whatever - they pay a nominal sum to run the thing, and they get to slap their name on the building - and they can employ the teachers, nurses or children tamers under church law, meaning they can be fired for not adhering to church standards.

You know why there are so many Protestants, Muslims and Jews working in Catholic institutions? Well, because divorcing is only a sin if you're Catholic. 

Yes, it's absurd. Totally absurd.

David

TheCommodore

Tue May 31, 2016 10:06 pm

As far as the Catholic Church goes, it's time to start taxing them. Actually, that goes for all religious organizations in the U.S.

Long overdue !

Its outrageous that they should be trying this on, and shame on those politicians considering supporting this.

DocLightning

Tue May 31, 2016 10:16 pm

The fact that the church violated the law by lobbying is a major issue here.

And yet it goes unchallenged.

pvjin

Tue May 31, 2016 11:14 pm

Quoting Okie (Reply 6):

Yep, here the Lutheran and Orthodox churches tax your income directly if you are a member, though all it takes for you to never have to pay that tax again is filling a form on a site.

I don't really get why over 70% of the population pays the tax, even though only a couple of percent actually uses the services provided by the church on regular basis. The Lutheran church in particular is also extremely boring just like the guy it was named after and has steered very far from original Christianity, if I was a Christian I would most certainly choose any other church over it.

Dreadnought

Tue May 31, 2016 11:45 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 4):

I know of no modern country that taxes religious organizations. Indeed, the US is one of the few that does not collect tax from the people and pass it on to the religious organizations - mainly to help with maintenance of cultural edifices. But since the US has very few of these compared to Europe, for example, that is understandable.

HELyes

Tue May 31, 2016 11:49 pm

Quoting Okie (Reply 6):
Austria, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland all have a church tax on your income.
Different rates and some countries let you opt out.
Otherwise a mandatory income tax to the church.

In Finland the church tax rate is between 1-2%, depending were you live. I left the mighty Evangelical Lutheran Church a long ago, losing paying members have been their biggest headache in recent years. Also the small Orthodox Church of Finland has the right to tax its members. In addition to personal taxation, the state divides some of the money collected by taxing private companies to the two "state churches", it doesn't matter if company is owned by church members or non-members

Other churches don't have this right. The Catholic Church is really tiny up here, Finland has the lowest proportion of Catholics in all of Europe actually, less than 15,000 people out of 5,5M.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:17 am

The 10's of millions spent in lobbying and for fighting sexual assault crimes of priests,seeking tax funds for schools, as well as against gay marriage and opposing abortion by the Roman Church for years is dead wrong and an abuse of those that donate to the church. Any such spending should be taxable and tax exemptions should be revoked as they are trying to breach the separation of church and state. It would be far better to spend those monies on really helping parishioners, the homeless and poor in their communities or if lobbying, for affordable housing, sufficient incomes for all.

In the USA, it is generally illegal to tax a faith based organization as they get an almost total exemption from them. To me the taxation on person's incomes in parts of Europe is dead wrong. I bet they don't give any money to Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Mormons or Scientology and they shouldn't.

[Edited 2016-05-31 18:32:54]

[Edited 2016-05-31 18:33:20]

Moose135

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:25 am

For a movie without much "action" where I generally knew the outcome, it kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened. Made me proud of my former colleagues in the newspaper business.